PDA

View Full Version : Steelers draft needs after 3/20/17 signings (opinion)

StillCurtains
03-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Hello guys!

This thread is just my opinion so feel free to chime in.
After our recent signings of Davis, Sensabaugh and Alualu this is what I feel are the needs for the Steelers to win their 7th Lombardi this season.

They need to draft a starting corner and OLB in this draft. I would draft the best player available as the first pick at corner or OLB only.

The second pick I would draft the best player available only at corner or OLB, focusing on the position that I didn't draft as the first pick. Again, I need 2 first day starters for my first 2 picks.

My 3rd pick would be ILB or Safety as best player available for these 2 positions only. This will be a developmental starter. This player can also provide depth for Shazier and Williams or Davis and Mitchell. My reasoning for a developmental starter at these 2 positions would be that I don't believe that Mitchell and Williams are long term starters.

Just as the corner and OLB position, my 4th pick would be the best player available focusing only on the ILB or Safety position that was not used as the 3rd pick.

My 5th pick would be OLB. Just feel we need to double dip here and hope for a diamond in the rough. After that is anyone's guess.

I'm far from a GM... but that is what I feel their needs are and kind of how I would approach it. Feel free to chime in!

LLT
03-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Agree with your assessment. The first two picks should be an Edge player and CB. Then look at ILB, Safety, and TE. The only TE that I am excited about is Sprinkle, and I actually think he is worth a third round pick.

86WARD
03-21-2017, 03:19 PM
There's a lack of bodies at ILB. What are they going to do once Shazier gets injured...which is pretty much a legit thing...

Psycho Ward 86
03-21-2017, 03:49 PM
i think a lot of steeler fans will be in for a rude awakening. from the number of 3rd round-possible RB's we've been looking at i have a feeling we'll pick one up earlier than people would like. if its Marlon Mack or Joe Mixon ill still be on board with it

Mojouw
03-21-2017, 04:47 PM
I would pick the best available player in each round. With a few exceptions. No OL, RBs, or WRs in Round 1. After that, I want the best player regardless of "need".

Jarvis Jones was regarded as the best player at a need position. Heath Miller was a pure BPA pick. I realize I am cherry picking my examples, but it is a draft strategy that I really believe in.

I want to leave the draft with the top 7 "impact" players for my team in the next 2-5 years. Not the best filling of a need in Year 1.

How many championships did the Giants win because they kept drafting pass rushers regardless of "need"? At least one or was it two?

Steeldude
03-21-2017, 05:04 PM
OLB

S

CB

TE

ILB

WR

No particular order other than OLB in the 1st.

pczach
03-21-2017, 05:08 PM
OLB

S

CB

TE

ILB

WR

No particular order other than OLB in the 1st.

I think the needs you list are fine. I just don't believe in locking in on drafting a player at a particular position at #30. If a lot of edge rushers get taken early or there's a very highly rated player at another position that drops to them, I think they have to take them. Reaching to draft a particular position would be a mistake IMO.

StillCurtains
03-21-2017, 05:51 PM
I think the needs you list are fine. I just don't believe in locking in on drafting a player at a particular position at #30. If a lot of edge rushers get taken early or there's a very highly rated player at another position that drops to them, I think they have to take them. Reaching to draft a particular position would be a mistake IMO.

Don't feel that they need to reach. The Steelers just need to do their homework as they have done in the past. Players such as Greg Lloyd was a late round pick and was a stud. That's doing homework!

Many here need to keep in mind that this is a different situation for the Steelers. We have a closing window on Ben and are just a stud corner and stud OLB away from being Superbowl Champs this year as opposed to only contenders.

If you get the stud corner and OLB as NEEDED in the draft and win the Superbowl, you can go back to the BPA strategy next year as Superbowl 52 defending champs strengthening the teams talent and possibly giving Ben an awesome chance to be the first 3 peat Superbowl champ with the talent added after this year.

In other words, get the 2 stud needed and win the Superbowl this year, then draft BPA the next few years making them an even more talented Superbowl champ for the next few.

Born2Steel
03-21-2017, 06:29 PM
Keep in mind it was the offense that couldn't get into the endzone in the playoffs. Sleeping on the playmakers in this draft is not smart. If we took Kamara or McCaffrey, or Mike Williams or Corey Davis, it would make just as much sense as reaching for an Edge/DB. Too much talent not to consider the offense in rounds 1 and 2.

That said....

1:30
Carl Lawson
EDGE
Auburn

2:30
Cameron Sutton
CB
Tennessee

3:30
Adam Shaheen
TE
Ashland

3:41
Rasul Douglas
CB
West Virginia

4:28
Marlon Mack
RB
USF

5:29
Robert Davis
WR
Georgia St.

6:29
Chad Kelly
QB
Ole Miss

7:30
Bryan Cox
EDGE
Florida

StillCurtains
03-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Keep in mind it was the offense that couldn't get into the endzone in the playoffs. Sleeping on the playmakers in this draft is not smart. If we took Kamara or McCaffrey, or Mike Williams or Corey Davis, it would make just as much sense as reaching for an Edge/DB. Too much talent not to consider the offense in rounds 1 and 2.

That said....

1:30
Carl Lawson
EDGE
Auburn

2:30
Cameron Sutton
CB
Tennessee

3:30
Adam Shaheen
TE
Ashland

3:41
Rasul Douglas
CB
West Virginia

4:28
Marlon Mack
RB
USF

5:29
Robert Davis
WR
Georgia St.

6:29
Chad Kelly
QB
Ole Miss

7:30
Bryan Cox
EDGE
Florida

Keep in mind who was depended on in the offense!
AB with 1st year slot WR Rogers, Shaky hands and broken finger Coates, A banged up Heyward Bey that missed most of the second half of the season, an inconsistent James, and practice squad Hamilton who was actually starting.

Losing Bell in the 1st quarter of the Pats game while also not having Bryant, Wheaton and Green will do that to an offense.

Born2Steel
03-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Keep in mind who was depended on in the offense!
AB with 1st year slot WR Rogers, Shaky hands and broken finger Coates, A banged up Heyward Bey that missed most of the second half of the season, an inconsistent James, and practice squad Hamilton who was actually starting.

Losing Bell in the 1st quarter of the Pats game while also not having Bryant, Wheaton and Green will do that to an offense.

Not arguing that at all, and you're kind of enforcing my point. What happened in the KC game? 3Bs all healthy and played. Zero trips to the endzone. Then the nothing AFCCG.

Dwinsgames
03-21-2017, 09:28 PM
its a pickum between OLB and CB in rd 1 and expect to see one of each in first two rounds ... let player rankings on your board dictate which slot you fill first and go from there

its clear the team values Harrison more than Cockrell based on resigning James to a 2 year deal and giving Ross original round tender so maybe that should tell us something in terms on what they are thinking ?

then I would say ILB and S with a slight edge to S in terms of need as I am not ready to count out VW or Dirty Red as a stay at home Linebacker thumping the middle and let the speedy guy Shazier handle the bulk of the coverage assignments

beyond that it would be nice to snag a capable RB and TE depth and maybe even a guard

that pretty much uses all the picks up so will end it there

DesertSteel
03-21-2017, 09:48 PM
All 7 rounds the position we need is: PLAYMAKER.

StillCurtains
03-21-2017, 10:01 PM
And what is it that I enforced?
Did the Steelers not destroy KC earlier in the season with healthier offensive weapons?
They were bound to do better making adjustments and playing in Arrowhead where it is tough to play.

Rogers should be better in his second year. If Coates fingers have healed and he can get back to where he was in the beginning of last season, he will battle Rogers and Hunter for the slot position. This will leave Heyward Bey, Ayers and Hamilton battling for a roster spot.

Green will be back with James having one more year of experience and they still have Grimble.
Bryant is likely to be back. The thing is when 2 of your top 3 receivers (Bryant and Wheaton) are out for the playoffs, you are sure for a dropoff in production.

Let's face it offenses nowadays are now ran with subpackages with at least 3 receivers. The starters help the production of the subpackage players. They produce in their roles. If needed to step in for a starter, it is truly only with the hope of only 1 to 3 games. It's not realistic for them to put up the numbers or production of a starter. It's not their primary role, they are fill ins.

With that in mind, where is the lack of talent on offense? It seems as if you expect no dropoff from starters to backups.

Dwinsgames
03-21-2017, 10:05 PM
Wheaton did next to nothing all season long 51 yards 3 games with 2 starts .... thats it ...otherwise I pretty much agree

http://www.nfl.com/player/markuswheaton/2539291/profile

teegre
03-21-2017, 10:40 PM
I would pick the best available player in each round. With a few exceptions. No OL, RBs, or WRs in Round 1. After that, I want the best player regardless of "need".

Jarvis Jones was regarded as the best player at a need position. Heath Miller was a pure BPA pick. I realize I am cherry picking my examples, but it is a draft strategy that I really believe in.

I want to leave the draft with the top 7 "impact" players for my team in the next 2-5 years. Not the best filling of a need in Year 1.

How many championships did the Giants win because they kept drafting pass rushers regardless of "need"? At least one or was it two?

I agree with 99% of this.

If Mike Williams drops (a huuuge "if") to 30, there's no way that I pass on him. But, the rest of the WRs: eh.

Born2Steel
03-22-2017, 09:49 AM
I've seen him (Mike Williams) mocked to us at 30. Jeremiah, I think. That would put us over the top.

Mojouw
03-22-2017, 10:24 AM

If Mike Williams drops (a huuuge "if") to 30, there's no way that I pass on him. But, the rest of the WRs: eh.

Yeah. Okay. I can see that. Dude would be a monster weapon in the red zone from day 1.

Psycho Ward 86
03-22-2017, 10:56 AM

Corey Davis would give me pause at #30 as well