PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Alualu is a Steeler

teegre
03-21-2017, 11:42 AM
It's all over the twitterverse.

Great signing. Great depth/rotation guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/21/steelers-agree-to-deal-with-tyson-alualu/

Dwinsgames
03-21-2017, 12:09 PM
I really like this signing

SteelerFanInStl
03-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Definitely a good signing.

st33lersguy
03-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Good.

Anyone know the annual cost for the Steelers free agent signings combined?

BlackAndGold
03-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Nice, a 2 year deal.

Love the depth on the d-line.

Shoes
03-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Good news! We can also use him to replace Coates if needed. :chuckle:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000594821/Jaguars-Blake-Bortles-to-Tyson-Alualu-for-16-yards

86WARD
03-21-2017, 12:58 PM
That's a good signing.

43Hitman
03-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Heck of a good signing. Its been a productive two days for the Steelers.

Rotorhead
03-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Now DL depth drops from the draft this year, looks like TE, CB and OLB (in no particular order).

fansince'76
03-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Heck of a good signing. Its been a productive two days for the Steelers.

Not to worry, I'm sure someone will be pissing and moaning about it...

Dwinsgames
03-21-2017, 01:45 PM
the 1 common thread between the 3 recent signings is every one of them where making their first visit and left with a deal in hand ..

I am however shocked that Tyson Alualu did not have anything scheduled prior to coming in here but a few visits scheduled after us ( But I am thankful he he came here first )

teegre
03-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Not to worry, I'm sure someone will be pissing and moaning about it...

Gopher (Crash) was complaining about it... until he saw this:

Good news! We can also use him to replace Coates if needed. :chuckle:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000594821/Jaguars-Blake-Bortles-to-Tyson-Alualu-for-16-yards

:lol:

pczach
03-21-2017, 04:01 PM

The real question is whether he can play fullback? Crash would love to see the jumbo package used repeatedly. :lol:

zulater
03-21-2017, 04:32 PM
Now DL depth drops from the draft this year, looks like TE, CB and OLB (in no particular order).

They'll pick a rb in the first 3 rounds. Davis is a special teams player/ depth guy. He's not DeAngelo's replacement. This draft is solid through the first 100 picks at rb. They'll get a solid back up for LeVeon early as opposed to later.

By the way I'm very pleased with the way this offseason is shaping up. As long as Martavis or LeVeon stay away from the pipe :crossed: I think we're going into next season in great shape. :high5:

BurghBoy412
03-21-2017, 08:45 PM
So glad we have some somoan mojo back on the team!!

Devilsdancefloor
03-21-2017, 09:08 PM
I like it!

DesertSteel
03-21-2017, 09:46 PM
I'll be the first to say it. Super Bowl!

Psycho Ward 86
03-21-2017, 10:00 PM
im glad that there seems to be such a consensus of liking this signing. fans on the jaguars board seem to like him a lot as well. but isnt he playing in a completely different scheme now? Granted im optimistic because we have the best DL coach in the league but he has little experience playing as a 3-4 DE, correct?

teegre
03-21-2017, 11:59 PM
im glad that there seems to be such a consensus of liking this signing. fans on the jaguars board seem to like him a lot as well. but isnt he playing in a completely different scheme now? Granted im optimistic because we have the best DL coach in the league but he has little experience playing as a 3-4 DE, correct?

He played as a 3-4 DE in college.

teegre
03-22-2017, 12:30 AM
I was reading up on Alualu...

It sounds like he was looking really good as a rookie, and then, he injured his knee during a practice (Oklahoma drill). He played through the injury, and had off-season surgery... but... never again looked as good as he did pre-injury.

The consensus is that he has been a solid player, but there's a lot of "what could have been..." surrounding him.

smokin3000gt
03-22-2017, 12:40 AM
I'll be the first to say it. Super Bowl!

reminds me of this oldie but goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs1N5NYyb24

BurghBoy412
03-23-2017, 09:08 PM
I was reading up on Alualu...

It sounds like he was looking really good as a rookie, and then, he injured his knee during a practice (Oklahoma drill). He played through the injury, and had off-season surgery... but... never again looked as good as he did pre-injury.

The consensus is that he has been a solid player, but there's a lot of "what could have been..." surrounding him.
He should ask James about accupuncture. Maybe a lil hyperbaric on the side.

teegre
03-23-2017, 10:25 PM
He should ask James about accupuncture. Maybe a lil hyperbaric on the side.

Ray Lewis has some deer antler spray...

Hawkman
03-24-2017, 07:59 AM

....but what did Crash think.:heh:

Born2Steel
03-24-2017, 08:37 AM
Somebody bring it up to speed. What does our DLine look like headed to draft day? There are some VERY intriguing prospects at DE in this draft that could be there at 30-62. I think we have the depth for 2 full rotations now, and ShadeTree can play the true NT when needed. Does this position group now drop off the board?

BurghBoy412
03-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Somebody bring it up to speed. What does our DLine look like headed to draft day? There are some VERY intriguing prospects at DE in this draft that could be there at 30-62. I think we have the depth for 2 full rotations now, and ShadeTree can play the true NT when needed. Does this position group now drop off the board?
It may not drop off the board. Only because you may run into a value pick that you cannot pass up. Definitely drops down past the 4th round. I assume.

Psycho Ward 86
03-24-2017, 11:45 AM

DE Tanoh Kpassagnon is the one DL who should definitely not be taken off of our board

teegre
03-24-2017, 12:06 PM
DE Tanoh Kpassagnon is the one DL who should definitely not be taken off of our board

:nod: I was just about to respond with the same answer.

BEFORE THE DRAFT:
DE: Heyward (70% of snaps), Alualu (30% of snaps)
DE: Tuitt (70% of snaps), Walton (30% of snaps)
NT: Hargrave (70% of snaps), McCullers (30% of snaps)

AFTER THE DRAFT:
DE: Heyward (70% of snaps), Alualu (30% of snaps)
DE: Tuitt (70% of snaps), Kpassagnon (30% of snaps)
NT: Hargrave (70% of snaps), McCullers (30% of snaps)

Born2Steel
03-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Does his 23 reps on the bench concern you for DL, or do you chalk that up to his 6'7" frame?

BurghBoy412
03-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Does his 23 reps on the bench concern you for DL, or do you chalk that up to his 6'7" frame?
Is he going to be bench pressing the opposing O-lineman or is he going to be using his entire body to push them back? I really think the bench is a poor way of judging a players strength. With proper technique he'll be taught to generate power through his legs and core to get push. I don't think he is just going to stand there and try to push with his arms and bench press guys into the backfield.

Born2Steel
03-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Is he going to be bench pressing the opposing O-lineman or is he going to be using his entire body to push them back? I really think the bench is a poor way of judging a players strength. With proper technique he'll be taught to generate power through his legs and core to get push. I don't think he is just going to stand there and try to push with his arms and bench press guys into the backfield.

Interesting.

No. I don't think he'll be bench pressing OL. However, the guy is 6'7" tall. The knock, what there is on him, is his overall brute strength is low. Lower body as well as upper body. He will lose leverage due to height naturally. His explosiveness is lower, as shown by his vertical, and his punch is weaker, as shown by the bench. # of reps also shows his focus on the weight room. My question is more, would you consider it low at 23, or lower than you would like due to his long frame. Because that number should be considered low.

DesertSteel
03-24-2017, 01:50 PM
I'd actually rather see a deadlift event at the combine. It's a true measure of total body strength. No reps either - just a one-rep-max.

Psycho Ward 86
03-24-2017, 02:09 PM

the guy has 35 5/8'' arms. I think id bench a little less than my fellow edge rushers of similiar weight too. the guy is anything but weak.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd actually rather see a deadlift event at the combine. It's a true measure of total body strength. No reps either - just a one-rep-max.

and/or squats

Born2Steel
03-24-2017, 02:18 PM
the guy has 35 5/8'' arms. I think id bench a little less than my fellow edge rushers of similiar weight too. the guy is anything but weak.

- - - Updated - - -

and/or squats

Not 'weak'. Just compared to Tuitt who had 31 reps at 6'5", w/34 3/4 arms. Reps are a little low. McCullers at 6'7" w/36 5/8 arms had 27 reps. Just a concern is all. Not calling the guy "weak".

DesertSteel
03-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Squats are great to show lower body strength, but deads are truly the best compound exercise that is full-body.

Ideally make them do the big 3 and rank them by the total.

Psycho Ward 86
03-24-2017, 04:47 PM
Squats are great to show lower body strength, but deads are truly the best compound exercise that is full-body.

Ideally make them do the big 3 and rank them by the total.

turning part of the combine into a powerlifting meet? that would amazing

BurghBoy412
03-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Agreed

BurghBoy412
03-24-2017, 05:21 PM
Interesting.

No. I don't think he'll be bench pressing OL. However, the guy is 6'7" tall. The knock, what there is on him, is his overall brute strength is low. Lower body as well as upper body. He will lose leverage due to height naturally. His explosiveness is lower, as shown by his vertical, and his punch is weaker, as shown by the bench. # of reps also shows his focus on the weight room. My question is more, would you consider it low at 23, or lower than you would like due to his long frame. Because that number should be considered low.
I don't think the number of reps represents lack of strength. Lack of endurance, yes. We don't know his ORM . He quite possibly has the ability to lift as much as anybody else at the position 1 time. The lack of reps doesn't bother me because they have so many stoppages in the game now. Not to mention a 40 sec break between plays that are really only about 5 second bursts.

DesertSteel
03-24-2017, 06:49 PM
They'd be too worried about injury :(

Psycho Ward 86
03-24-2017, 09:36 PM
They'd be too worried about injury :(

there are hardly ever injuries at powerlifting meets. when there are, 99% its chalked up to:

1) The idiot doesnt even know how to lift
2) The spotters are idiots

teegre
03-25-2017, 07:57 AM
JPP only had 19 reps at the combine.

(That's who Kpassagnon reminds me of.)

teegre
03-25-2017, 09:14 PM
Ziggy Ansah only had 21 reps at the combine.

(Kpassagnon reeeally reminds me of him.)

Mojouw
03-26-2017, 10:30 AM
As long as the player is willing to work, an NFL weight room will fix anything that needs fixing -assuming their frame can take more mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
03-26-2017, 02:02 PM
As long as the player is willing to work, an NFL weight room will fix anything that needs fixing -assuming their frame can take more mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. This would be our 1st/2nd round pick however. I admit I'm not good at the long plan and want the guy who's ready NOW in the 1st. I just look at how we use our OLBs to rush, and that initial punch off the snap is crucial. Either that or speed. I just don't read where TK has either of those day one. I see a guy with the brute strength, like Lawson, or a guy with unnatural speed, like McKinley as who the Steelers are more likely to look at there. Plus, same weight room and training/coaching as the guy coming in weaker and slower.