PDA

View Full Version : Draft Chad Kelly

Mojouw
03-16-2017, 10:38 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/2017-nfl-draft-player-profiles-mississippi-qb-chad-kelly/

I really don't know too much about his off the field stuff, but I feel like it is a bit overblown because of the media.

Read this report and tell me you aren't picturing Rodgers or Roethlisberger.

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 11:01 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/2017-nfl-draft-player-profiles-mississippi-qb-chad-kelly/

I really don't know too much about his off the field stuff, but I feel like it is a bit overblown because of the media.

Read this report and tell me you aren't picturing Rodgers or Roethlisberger.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18552288/chad-kelly-upfront-nfl-troubles

His off field stuff has always sounded like 'spoiled rich kid', rather than 'thug wannabe'. Maturity issues moreso than he's a bad guy.

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 11:56 AM
this hurt him as much as anything https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxgkmAfUsAAWHs6.jpg

Mojouw
03-16-2017, 11:58 AM
I can think of a certain future HOF QB that came to the Steelers with maturity issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 12:03 PM
I can think of a certain future HOF QB that came to the Steelers with maturity issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no doubt , however it wasn't in picture form for all the world ( and the commish) to view PRIOR to being drafted ... these suspendable offenses kind of turn teams off especially guys you look to be the face of the franchise ( not saying it is right or wrong ) just kind of how it is or seems to me

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 12:16 PM
this hurt him as much as anything https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxgkmAfUsAAWHs6.jpg

Is there a date/time stamp for this pic? How long ago was this? Last 6 months, issue. Before that, so what?

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 12:23 PM
Is there a date/time stamp for this pic? How long ago was this? Last 6 months, issue. Before that, so what?

November 2016

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/18/snapchat-photo-puts-chad-kelly-bag-of-weed-at-same-table/

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 12:32 PM
November 2016

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/18/snapchat-photo-puts-chad-kelly-bag-of-weed-at-same-table/

Then that is a definite issue.

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Then that is a definite issue.

I agree ... but if you get him late , have your starter and backup in place you have a year to figure out if he is salvageable or not .

he has talent but can he get it ?

that to me is the biggest question , got to figure he had a great mentor in Uncle Jim and he hasnt figured it out yet so chances that he does are probably slim so can't risk much finding out

edit.....

With Manziel still so fresh in everyone's mind this kid comes with a BIG buyer beware tag on him and won't be for everyone and understandably so

Mojouw
03-16-2017, 01:50 PM
If he wasn't a QB, this wouldn't really be that big of deal. Expectations are just different for Qbs. Look if he was as talented as he is and he was a LB, teams would still draft him in the 1st or 2nd round even if he had weed falling out of his pockets on draft day. Mixon is going to get drafted in the first 3 rounds and he is no peach.

With everyone walking around with surveillance cameras in their pockets 24-7, young people increasingly focused on documenting every moment of their lives online, and NFL prospects being college kids - this is the new normal.

Here is what I think about Kelly:
1. He is immature and highly entitled
2. He is likely a bit of a dick.
3. He is the best QB in the class.
4. He will be available at a heavy discount on draft day.

For me, #3 and #4 outweigh everything else starting in about the 4th round. Dak Prescott had character concerns and a DUI or two. How'd that work out?

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 02:13 PM
If he wasn't a QB, this wouldn't really be that big of deal. Expectations are just different for Qbs. Look if he was as talented as he is and he was a LB, teams would still draft him in the 1st or 2nd round even if he had weed falling out of his pockets on draft day. Mixon is going to get drafted in the first 3 rounds and he is no peach.

With everyone walking around with surveillance cameras in their pockets 24-7, young people increasingly focused on documenting every moment of their lives online, and NFL prospects being college kids - this is the new normal.

Here is what I think about Kelly:
1. He is immature and highly entitled
2. He is likely a bit of a dick.
3. He is the best QB in the class.
4. He will be available at a heavy discount on draft day.

For me, #3 and #4 outweigh everything else starting in about the 4th round. Dak Prescott had character concerns and a DUI or two. How'd that work out?

I do not disagree with your points. I'm a huge fan of QB Kelly. My concern is pot puts you off the field. Need to know how big is this issue for him. I'm looking at Nathan Peterman in the 3rd or 4th, Chad Kelly, if he's still around in the 5th or 6th. For me, this drops his stock a round, maybe 2. We lose Bell to missed/failed test, we lose Bryant to missed/failed test, I don't want a QB that would fall into that. No team is going to follow that guy. I need more info.

polamalubeast
03-16-2017, 03:23 PM
I do not want a QB that looks like Jay Cutler as our future QB ....

pczach
03-16-2017, 04:31 PM
I do not want a QB that looks like Jay Cutler as our future QB ....

If you are able to get him in the 5th round, there isn't much risk. He'll have a couple years to get his shit together and learn. If he flops or is a headcase, they can release him without much in the way of cost.

There really aren't many downsides if they get him late. Only the team will know the depths of his issues, and they will weigh the risk/reward.

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 06:35 PM
the one thing I keep thinking is if he makes it to round 5 is there any way the Bills can pass on him ?

Jim living in the City to keep an eye on him , Jim is always at the facility ... Jim's mystique is all over Buffalo

and the last time the Bills where a true contender it was a Kelly under center ...

so what teams probably really need to consider is if the risk is worthy of a pick ahead of the bills 5th round selection point so for most teams that means a rd 4 selection

for me that price is to high

teegre
03-16-2017, 09:25 PM
Kelly completes the stoner trifecta: Bell, Bryant, & Kelly.

Shoes
03-16-2017, 09:45 PM
Kelly completes the stoner trifecta: Bell, Bryant, & Kelly.

Might as well invite Manziel over also.

BurghBoy412
03-17-2017, 05:41 AM
I'm so tired of everyone talking about what these guys do off the field! If this world was full of people that minded their own damn business we'd all be better off. Like I always have said. I don't know these guys at all personally. For that matter I don't care to know any of these guys. They are football players end of story. I care about one thing and that's what they do for 60 minutes on Sunday. The personal life of another human being is NONE OF MY BUSINESS!

86WARD
03-17-2017, 05:49 AM
I'm so tired of everyone talking about what these guys do off the field! If this world was full of people that minded their own damn business we'd all be better off. Like I always have said. I don't know these guys at all personally. For that matter I don't care to know any of these guys. They are football players end of story. I care about one thing and that's what they do for 60 minutes on Sunday. The personal life of another human being is NONE OF MY BUSINESS!

QFT

BurghBoy412
03-17-2017, 06:22 AM
QFT
What does that mean?

BurghBoy412
03-17-2017, 06:29 AM
QFT
Can you please explain what "QFT" means?

teegre
03-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Can you please explain what "QFT" means?

Quoted for truth

BurghBoy412
03-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Quoted for truth
Thank you

Born2Steel
03-17-2017, 07:39 AM

I get that. The personal life of a player can and will prevent them from being on the field on Sunday though. Bryant wasn't suspended for play on the field. These guys need to either smoke pot, or play in the NFL. However it is for people personally, that is how the NFL treats it. That's why their personal lives matter to us fans.

BurghBoy412
03-17-2017, 07:50 AM
If a guy can't play on Sunday. It's still none of my business. Put another guy out there and play. If they can't play that's their business. They don't owe me a damn thing.

Born2Steel
03-17-2017, 08:00 AM
If a guy can't play on Sunday. It's still none of my business. Put another guy out there and play. If they can't play that's their business. They don't owe me a damn thing.

Again, I get that. But the team and it's fans care about drafting a player that can't get on the field because they won't stop doing certain things off the field. Failing a drug test is the same as failing concussion protocol. They can't play. So not going to draft them if they can't play.

Hawkman
03-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Again, I get that. But the team and it's fans care about drafting a player that can't get on the field because they won't stop doing certain things off the field. Failing a drug test is the same as failing concussion protocol. They can't play. So not going to draft them if they can't play.

This!

Mojouw
03-17-2017, 10:12 AM
We are not talking about 2017's starting Quarterback here. We are talking about how to add talent to the roster. When you pick at the back end of the draft each year it is really difficult to get "future starter" material at the QB position.

So what can a team do? They have the following options:

1. Tank a season and get a high draft pick.
2. Trade a boatload of future draft picks to get a QB and then not be able to surround him with much talent.
3. Hope on the annual washed up vet FA merry-go-round.
4. Find discounted QB talent and draft it.

That's how you replace a franchise QB. Options 1 is not something I am a fan of and it would take gutting the current roster to do it. Option 2 rarely works. You end up with a QB and nothing else on your roster. Option 3 is also basically terrible.

So it is #4. That's how you get Russell Wilson (height), Prescott (DUI), Brady (not good and garbage body), and a few others. Is it a guaranteed route to success? Hell no. Landry Jones is case in point. It usually doesn't work.

But with Chad Kelly you are getting a guy that without the "off the field issues" tag would be going in the first round of the draft. What is the worst that can happen? You burn up a 5-7th round pick. Dude then smokes, drinks, or fights his way off the roster and out of the league. Do we need to go over the list of recent low round draft picks? For every AB, there are 3 Terry Hawhtornes.

I don't understand how we can all stress over "what happens when Ben leaves" and then be against low resource cost acquisitions of high-risk high reward QB prospects? They should be doing this every single year until it works. This board has worked itself into a frenzy for the past 2 seasons over Landry Jones and his place on the roster. I would bet my bottom dollar that if the Steelers took a QB in the first 3 rounds, this place would howl in protest and derision. This is the other path.

BurghBoy412
03-17-2017, 10:40 AM
They are 20 year old College kids. Probably really smart when it comes to life decisions. Lol

Mojouw
03-17-2017, 10:55 AM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/OVJ591rBg9ml.jpg

https://crackbillionair.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/big-ben-drunk.jpg

Can you imagine how much more there would be if Ben had gone to school now? Any version that we have in our heads where Roethlisberger didn't smoke and drink his way through school and most of his 20's is a lie.

SteelerFanInStl
03-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Can you imagine how much more there would be if Ben had gone to school now? Any version that we have in our heads where Roethlisberger didn't smoke and drink his way through school and most of his 20's is a lie.

That's typical college life, whether some people want to admit it or not. I'm certainly not going to chastise a college kid for partying. I definitely did my share of that when I was in college.

Born2Steel
03-17-2017, 11:04 AM
It's not a question of do college athletes drink and smoke during college. It's a question of will they stop doing things that keep them off the field once in the NFL. Chad Kelly in the 5th-7th rounds is draftable. If this pic of Ben had shown up during the combine or during the draft, do you think the Steelers would have spent a first round pick on him? I do not. That's the ONLY point here.

Mojouw
03-17-2017, 11:23 AM
It's not a question of do college athletes drink and smoke during college. It's a question of will they stop doing things that keep them off the field once in the NFL. Chad Kelly in the 5th-7th rounds is draftable. If this pic of Ben had shown up during the combine or during the draft, do you think the Steelers would have spent a first round pick on him? I do not. That's the ONLY point here.

I don't think Kelly has ever tested positive.

My argument is that 8 out of every 10 draft picks basically ever in the NFL smoked dope and drank to an extent that if it was photo documented would get them tagged with "character concerns". I'm not worried about it. With the rookie pay scale, etc etc -- once I'm outside the first round, I can cut these dudes if they stay stupid at no real loss to the team.

Talent at a discount (barring major team chemistry issues) should be drafted every time without hesitation. Jamis Winston hasn't stolen anything lately.

Born2Steel
03-17-2017, 11:46 AM
You only need to look at Miami drafting Tunsil just last year to understand there's risk/reward evaluation differences from team to team. Did the best OT in the draft drop due to on the field issues, or a pic of him smoking dope? I'm not arguing talent vs value, only that this pic of Kelly makes it an issue. It does. If the Steelers had Chad Kelly on their board as a round 1 selection, I doubt he would still be that high on the board after that pic from last November.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Quoted for truth

here I always thought it was Quite Fu#&ing true ....

Mojouw
03-17-2017, 12:01 PM
You only need to look at Miami drafting Tunsil just last year to understand there's risk/reward evaluation differences from team to team. Did the best OT in the draft drop due to on the field issues, or a pic of him smoking dope? I'm not arguing talent vs value, only that this pic of Kelly makes it an issue. It does. If the Steelers had Chad Kelly on their board as a round 1 selection, I doubt he would still be that high on the board after that pic from last November.

But that is a pointless argument in this case. I have stipulated from the beginning that none of what I am saying really "works" if we are talking about a Round 1 pick. But we are not - at least I am not. I'm talking about 5ht or 6th round pick most likely and 4th round pick at worst.

For me, that is solidly in the "lets gamble that this kid can pull his shit together and let his talent get on the field" portion of the draft. If I was an NFL GM, once I am out of the first two rounds, unless a kid murdered someone or had a side job as criminal mastermind, I'm just not that concerned about minor off the field stuff.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2017, 12:49 PM
I am concerned with any off field patterns that keep a player out of uniform on Sundays , it may not be my business what he does but as a GM it would be my business that the things he does could keep him out of uniform as availability is job #1 and prior to round 5 I can not take that gamble but round 5 and beyond ( where most picks do not make rosters) it is a manageable risk with potential high reward ... but again I ask would he even be there then as I suspect the Bills would take a chance on him at that point and they pick well above us in rd 5

Born2Steel
03-17-2017, 01:50 PM
But that is a pointless argument in this case. I have stipulated from the beginning that none of what I am saying really "works" if we are talking about a Round 1 pick. But we are not - at least I am not. I'm talking about 5ht or 6th round pick most likely and 4th round pick at worst.

For me, that is solidly in the "lets gamble that this kid can pull his shit together and let his talent get on the field" portion of the draft. If I was an NFL GM, once I am out of the first two rounds, unless a kid murdered someone or had a side job as criminal mastermind, I'm just not that concerned about minor off the field stuff.

I think this conversation has taken waaaay too many turns around too many corners. We agree on it's a bigger 1st-3rd round issue, and not so much to not really, rounds 4-7. All I was ever trying to say was the pic is an issue. Plain and simple. For the Steelers looking at drafting this player, and pics of him smoking pot surface at draft time, checking evals will now be done again. Not that this issue prevents this player from consideration because of the pic.

Method28
03-17-2017, 09:08 PM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/OVJ591rBg9ml.jpg

https://crackbillionair.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/big-ben-drunk.jpg

FBGM!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Method28
03-17-2017, 09:14 PM
It doesnt concern me that he drinks and/or smokes. It DOES concern me that he was booted from Clemson after trashing his fellow QB competition (teammates) on twitter, berating his coaches, and then after getting a second chance @ Ole Miss he got into a bar fight and threatened to go on a "shooting rampage." THAT is concerning....with all that being said...id still throw a 5 to 7th rounder at him 😁😁

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk