PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hosting FA's Jay Elliott and Justin Hunter

BlackAndGold
03-13-2017, 01:36 PM

Elliott is an OLB that played for GB, didn't play much, special teams??

Justin Hunter is a 6'4" WR, has bounced around since he was drafted by the Titans in round 2 in 2013.

tube517
03-13-2017, 02:03 PM
We've had enough WR's named Justin over 6'3"

Justin Hunter went to same high school as Sharknado.

Tomlin again looking in his hometown region.

I remember Hunter getting in trouble a couple years ago here but was found not guilty. He'd probably hang out w/ Jerry Porter. :chuckle:

http://wtkr.com/2015/09/15/tennessee-titans-justin-hunter-found-not-guilty-for-involvement-in-va-beach-bar-fight/

Mojouw
03-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Hunter has been in the league for seemingly forever without ever coming close to marrying production (of almost any kind) to his seemingly vast physical potential. Ran a 4.4 at the Combine whatever year he came out while setting the top marks in vertical and broad jump. Dude is an "explosive" athlete that may either be unwilling or unable to digest and NFL playbook.

All that being said, he would be CHEAP and maybe the Steelers WR assembly line could make something out of him. All the tools are present.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2017, 02:42 PM
Hunter has been in the league for seemingly forever without ever coming close to marrying production (of almost any kind) to his seemingly vast physical potential. Ran a 4.4 at the Combine whatever year he came out while setting the top marks in vertical and broad jump. Dude is an "explosive" athlete that may either be unwilling or unable to digest and NFL playbook.

All that being said, he would be CHEAP and maybe the Steelers WR assembly line could make something out of him. All the tools are present.

this

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 03:44 PM

More tidbits on OLB Jayrone Elliot:

1) Absolute superstar in extensive playing time in past preseasons. Top 8 edge defender in past 2 preseasons per PFF (led all players in preseason sacks in 2014). Packer fans will say he passes the eyeball test from those trials.

2) Played well in limited sample sizes in the regular season as well

3) Undrafted player who came out of nowhere

4) Great special teams player, notched 15 special teams tackles in 2015 (led team in special teams tackles with 6 in the playoffs as well)

5) Big break out game was against a packers win against a good seahawks team in 2015. Made a 1 handed interception on a screen pass intended for Marshawn Lynch. Forced a fumble by punching the ball out of Fred Jackson's hands, recovered by packers to end the seahawks final drive. Also the highest graded player in pass coverage for the packers that night

6) Hard to cut out playing time in front of 2 pro bowlers (Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers) and 3 early round picks (Nick Perry, Kyler Fackrell, and Datone Jones). Might say something that he had a niche there at all?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-training-camp-tour-packers-shaking-up-defensive-depth-chart/
http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/green-bay-packers-annual-checkup-jayrone-elliott-022615
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2570650-green-bay-packers-week-3-stock-report
http://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-bay-packers/is-jayrone-elliott-a-long-term-solution-at-linebacker

if we sign him and draft at least one high quality OLB perhaps we should consider cutting Arthur Moats later in the offseason. i could see elliot carving out a role here or not one at all. at worst we get another great special teams player who has shown flashes of great defensive play. if we have to play small ball i like him. still would prefer we start assembling a serious pass rush platoon and bring Connor Barwin in

Mojouw
03-13-2017, 04:27 PM
These are the type of FAs that really move the needle for me. Get a player entering his prime. No overpay for past performances. If it doesn't work very little fallout.

I would rather gamble on these type of players working out then having a 32 year old barely average Dre Kirkpatrick counting 12.5 million on my cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pczach
03-13-2017, 04:37 PM
These are the type of FAs that really move the needle for me. Get a player entering his prime. No overpay for past performances. If it doesn't work very little fallout.

I would rather gamble on these type of players working out then having a 32 year old barely average Dre Kirkpatrick counting 12.5 million on my cap.

I agree.

I was high on Hunter when he came out. He was drafted much higher than I anticipated because he ran a very fast 40 time.

He was a high jumper in school, and the combination of size, speed, and leaping ability with body control are very intriguing. He hasn't had a quarterback like Ben to throw him the ball, and I think he would be a good pickup if the price is right.

Elliot is an interesting player. He probably won't cost too much and may be worth a look. Get him in camp and find out what he is really able to do. Versatility is important to the Steelers, so if he is able to play multiple positions he is valuable.

Rotorhead
03-13-2017, 05:40 PM

I agree on this

Born2Steel
03-13-2017, 05:43 PM
One thing about Elliot is he plays well on ST too, according to one of the articles. We need play makers on ST badly also. Rotational depth on DL/OLB, plus ST, means Steeler type guy in my book.

GBMelBlount
03-13-2017, 07:11 PM
I agree.

I was high on Hunter when he came out. He was drafted much higher than I anticipated because he ran a very fast 40 time.

He was a high jumper in school, and the combination of size, speed, and leaping ability with body control are very intriguing.

He (Hunter) hasn't had a quarterback like Ben to throw him the ball, and I think he would be a good pickup if the price is right.

Elliot is an interesting player. He probably won't cost too much and may be worth a look. Get him in camp and find out what he is really able to do.

Versatility is important to the Steelers, so if Elliot is able to play multiple positions he is valuable.

Based on what you are saying they sound like a pair worth gambling on.

http://img.ezinemark.com/imagemanager2/files/30004252/2010/12/2010-12-30-10-25-46-1-naked-poker-players-participated-in-the-final-of-t.jpeg

Shoes
03-13-2017, 08:20 PM
I like Hunter, he has good speed, hands and catches the ball up and away from his body. It would be a nice addition.

Mojouw
03-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Eliot just re-upped with the Pack.

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 10:23 AM

thoughts? how does this change our 53 man roster and draft plans?

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2017, 10:26 AM

I like this signing. He's big and fast and has never been on a team with a QB as good as Ben.

Lots of talent. We just need to bring the best out of him. Maybe AB can help with that as well as being on a winning team.

Our WR need is going to be based solely on whether or not Martavis gets reinstated.

steelerdude15
03-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Justin's signing makes me wonder about Marty. Does this mean that Marty may not be reinstated by the NFL or could he be released if he is reinstated? I mean, it could mean nothing and Justin could just be a camp body.

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Justin Hunter:

2013: Caught 18/42 targets (42.9% of targets caught), 0 drops
2014: Caught 28/67 targets (41.8% of targets caught), 4 drops (6% drop rate)
2015: Caught 22/31 targets (71% of targets caught), 1 drop (3.2% drop rate)
2016: Caught 10/24 targets (41.7% of targets caught), 0 drops

His quarterbacks for those respective seasons:

2013: Ryan Fitzpatrick (QBR 82) and Jake Locker (QBR 86.7)
2014: Charlie Whitehurst (QBR 87.4) , Zach Mettenberger (QBR 83.4), and Jake Locker (QBR 70.9)
2015: Marcus Mariota (QBR 91.5) and Zach Mettenberger (QBR 66.7)
2016: Tyrod Taylor (QBR 89.7)

He did have a pair of 100 yard games his rookie season so there's that. Yay?

Also it looks like he played by far his best when he had an above average QB throwing to him. Hmm

AtlantaDan
03-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Justin's signing makes me wonder about Marty. Does this mean that Marty may not be reinstated by the NFL or could he be released if he is reinstated? I mean, it could mean nothing and Justin could just be a camp body.

I think it means what Ed B. of the P-G said in his online chat yesterday

Art Rooney said recently they cannot count on Bryant, and I can tell you they feel the same way about Coates.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/03/14/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-chat-3-14-17/stories/201703140144

steelerdude15
03-15-2017, 10:39 AM
I think it means what Ed B. of the P-G said in his online chat yesterday

Art Rooney said recently they cannot count on Bryant, and I can tell you they feel the same way about Coates.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/03/14/Ed-Bouchette-Steelers-chat-3-14-17/stories/201703140144

Thanks for the article.

tube517
03-15-2017, 10:40 AM

He may have a shot at getting a roster spot beating out DHB, Hamilton and Ayers.

I like Ayers but he's going to have to shine in camp.

Coates is a huge question mark. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Rogers seems to have the slot WR spot locked up.

Bryant stays clean and he is easily the #2.

I'm glad Richard Mann is back.

st33lersguy
03-15-2017, 10:47 AM
Sounds like anther under the radar signing that can contribute at what I'm positive is at a cheap price. Low risk, high reward

Born2Steel
03-15-2017, 10:55 AM
Time will tell. For now, I like this signing. Not a big attention grabber deal, but could definitely pay off in a big way. Sort of like the DHB signing. 'Not bad' at worst, and the potential for 'great' is there.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 11:01 AM
I think it spells the end for DHB , pretty bad foot injury last year , speed was his game couple that with age setting in and well it just might be time to put him out to pasture

Mojouw
03-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Hunter may not even make the team. He has always been a size speed prospect. Not sure how much longer that status can last. BUT...he does fit the Steelers mold of big, tall, fast, etc.

Figure this means they draft a guy more on the AB, Rodgers, Ayers -- route runner rock solid hands model.

On paper this is going to be a heckuva camp for WR spots:

1. AB
2. Bryant
3. Rodgers
4. Coates
5. DHB
6. Ayers
7. Hunter
8. Severin
9. Draft Pick
10. Random FA

Hunter goes in #7. He typically shows up on most team's depth charts at #3 or #4 just by signing a contract.

BlackAndGold
03-15-2017, 11:26 AM

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm glad Richard Mann is back.

this wins the thread

st33lersguy
03-15-2017, 11:54 AM
With Hunter signed and with Bryant looking like he'll be back soon, no reason to draft a WR, at least in the first 5 rounds

Born2Steel
03-15-2017, 12:06 PM
With Hunter signed and with Bryant looking like he'll be back soon, no reason to draft a WR, at least in the first 5 rounds

Or at all this draft. Puts back up RB ahead of WR in terms of need now, IMO.

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 12:14 PM

Steelers FO seems to think otherwise. They have a visit scheduled with Penn St. WR Chris Godwin. Projected 2nd round pick

Ive honestly felt good at wide receiver since the beginning of the offseason. AB is AB. Martavis Bryant NOT being reinstated would be completely unprecedented . Eli Rogers with a great rookie year, and probably ascending going into another year of development. Sammie Coates Was on pace for great numbers before being injured and has another year to develop. Life will be good

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2017, 12:14 PM

If Bryant gets reinstated, I would agree. That's still a big question mark right now though.

st33lersguy
03-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Ive honestly felt good at wide receiver since the beginning of the offseason. AB is AB. Martavis Bryant NOT being reinstated would be completely unprecedented . Eli Rogers with a great rookie year, and probably ascending going into another year of development. Sammie Coates Was on pace for great numbers before being injured and has another year to develop. Life will be good

I thought so too especially with Mann as the coach, Hunter signing makes it even more so

86WARD
03-15-2017, 12:29 PM
I think this is more insurance for the Coates finger issue more so than Bryant. I'd like to rule out the option that Bryant slipped up again and I'm not sure they are sold on asters either. If Hunter made the team, he'd vault over DHB as a WR. He's a nice red zone target.

BlackAndGold
03-15-2017, 01:20 PM
1 year deal

pczach
03-15-2017, 01:44 PM
An article with a comparison of Bryant and Hunter.

Steelers Hunt For Cheap Bryant Insurance “Justinfied”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/justin-hunter-titans-steelers-777x437.jpg

By Dave Bryan (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) March 15, 2017 at 01:03 pm

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed their first outside unrestricted free agent of the 2017 offseason on Wednesday when wide receiver Justin Hunter agreed to a one-year contract. While the signing isn’t likely to be a major talking point nationally, on the surface it appears to be a low-risk one and completely understandable.

Even though most expect Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant to be reinstated in the coming weeks following his one-year suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy once again, the organization has to somewhat question his ability to remain clean moving forward.

Hunter, like Bryant, has made his living so far in the NFL with his ability to stretch the field. In fact the two players share a lot of similar receiving statistics entering the 2017 season.

Bryant has 76 catches for 1,314 yards and 14 touchdowns so far during his career while Hunter has registered 78 receptions for 1,305 yards and 12 touchdowns. The similarities between the two players does not end with raw receiving statistics, however. In fact, Bryant has caught 19 of 54 deep pass targets for 766 yards and 8 touchdowns so far during his career while Hunter has caught 21 of 61 deep passes thrown his way for 721 yards and 8 touchdowns.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/steelers-hunt-cheap-bryant-insurance-justinfied/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot%29

tube517
03-17-2017, 10:20 AM
http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-how-Justin-Hunter-fits-with-WRs/f0a98f74-abad-43df-81fc-13dfb3f17ca9