View Full Version : Dont'a Hightower to vist the Steelers

BlackAndGold
03-13-2017, 10:11 AM

polamalubeast
03-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Very unlikely he signed with us ....

BlackAndGold
03-13-2017, 10:28 AM
They have the cap space to sign him, but they are not going to get in a bidding war.

But it's so unlikely he signs, I expect he'll re-sign with the Pats in a few days.

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 10:35 AM
1. How in the hell are we entertaining signing Hightower if we werent willing to pay Timmons, who cost most likely whats going to be half what his going rate will be
2. We'd rather entertain throwing gobs of money at a position where we already have a decent stopgap instead of cornerback? Really?

Surprisingly the jets only have a little bit more cap room than us

NCSteeler
03-13-2017, 10:51 AM
I'm sure he'll sign with the pats for a pack of gum and three hot meals. I'm still a bit miffed that we let Timmins walk for such a reasonable price tag

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

86WARD
03-13-2017, 11:09 AM
They need something more than a stop gap if they want to compete.

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Two words:

Zach. Brown.

- - - Updated - - -

Except Hightower is basically a shoe in for over $10 million a season based on every report ever

Born2Steel
03-13-2017, 11:25 AM
We need pass rush. He brings legit pass rush. See what price he's willing to entertain. In one minute we complain that they don't even talk to FAs, the next minute they talk to the wrong FAs. Let them do their job.

Taking a short look at salary/market value expectations for Hightower/Brown. Hightower is expected to make $10-$12Mil/year, and Brown is more in the $4-$6Mil/year range. Money aside, I still like Brown better overall.

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 11:40 AM
We need pass rush. He brings legit pass rush. See what price he's willing to entertain. In one minute we complain that they don't even talk to FAs, the next minute they talk to the wrong FAs. Let them do their job.

cant speak for everybody but i didnt want him in the first place. id much prefer zach brown who will probably cost 2-3x less. Hightower is legit. Hell, someone around here is spreading word that he isnt good in pass coverage even though he is. He's an even better blitzer than Timmons. But his market value is insane and hes always injured. 2 oft injured ILB's? I dont feel good about the summation of that possibility

Mojouw
03-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Hightower is just using the Steelers and the Titans as stalking horses to get the Pats to up their offer.

If he wants to come take some meetings get the nickel tour and then have his agent tell him their offer is X dollars take it or leave it - what's the harm in that?

This is only a bad idea if they break the bank for him.

Born2Steel
03-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Hightower is just using the Steelers and the Titans as stalking horses to get the Pats to up their offer.

If he wants to come take some meetings get the nickel tour and then have his agent tell him their offer is X dollars take it or leave it - what's the harm in that?

This is only a bad idea if they break the bank for him.

He's been earning around $2Mil/season. With what he brings, what would be the highest offer we should make? If the market is $10-$12Mil, we would need to offer $8-$10mil minimum, wouldn't you think? I'd rather bring in Brown and Revis for the same money.

WCSteeler
03-13-2017, 12:07 PM
The Steelers need to sign someone, they let Timmons walk and do they expect to fill the void through the draft? Maybe but when the Steelers see the Patriots who manhandled them in the playoffs making very smart FA moves they cannot stand by and do nothing. The Superbowl runs through Foxboro and at this point the Steelers aren't anywhere close to the Pats player or coaching. Sign Hightower and make a move at a quality CB.

Rotorhead
03-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Vince Williams can fill the void Timmons left, I would rather have Brown and a quality CB.

Mojouw
03-13-2017, 12:24 PM
He's been earning around $2Mil/season. With what he brings, what would be the highest offer we should make? If the market is $10-$12Mil, we would need to offer $8-$10mil minimum, wouldn't you think? I'd rather bring in Brown and Revis for the same money.

I wouldn't offer him any more money than what Timmons was offered. Hightower would be tasked with doing the same job and brings the same limitations to the table.

His market was projected to be 10-12 million, but it clearly isn't there. I don't think the Steelers need to offer him anything more than whatever their valuation on a 2 down ILB is.

- - - Updated - - -

Vince Williams can fill the void Timmons left, I would rather have Brown and a quality CB.

If Vince Williams can fill the void, then why Brown? Signing Brown would be an admission that there is concern that Williams can not fill the void. If you want depth, I would rather pay a rookie/younger guy. They are cheaper and offer maybe some more potential.

steel striker
03-13-2017, 02:10 PM
I would be shocked if the Steelers would be able to afford.

86WARD
03-13-2017, 02:16 PM

I disagree. Williams can't fill Timmons shoes.

DesertSteel
03-13-2017, 02:33 PM
We need pass rush. He brings legit pass rush.
Really? 2.5 sacks this year. 3.5 the year before.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2017, 02:40 PM
guess I am in the minority here ...

I have seen ....

he brings the same limitations Timmons brought ... I do not feel this is true or accurate

I would offer the same that Timmons was offered ..... Timmons age vs Hightowers age deem otherwise we are talking about a guy with 1 foot in retirement vs a guy who is in his prime and better at his craft

They do not have the cap space to make an offer ..... we have plenty of cap space if we are looking to nail down 1 premium FA and sign a few fringe players ( not our normal MO but plausible )

I see Hightower as the best ( and its not close folks ) inside backer in free agency if we where talking about a potential draft prospect he would be proclaimed as the prototypical Steelers linebacker oh wait he was by many prior to him being drafted by the Pats ... 4 short years ago MANY draft sites had Hightower mocked to the Steelers and it was not by accident his play style is what we have been known for over the years ...

This would be a fantastic signing and would limit the production necessary from the outside LBers to still have the pressure needed to be successful PROVIDED he could remain healthy ( which he has had some issues with in the past ) ...

I would not be comfortable with anything over 4 years 42 million but would prefer it to be 4 year 37 million with a 5th year club option at 10 million ...

Plug him in next to Shazier and we would have the top inside LB duo in the league and be 1 Corner 1 OLB away from hoisting number 7

- - - Updated - - -

pressure is the key and always has been , sacks are just 1 product of pressure ...

errant throws , ints because of are just as important , drive stopping plays ...

Born2Steel
03-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Yes. If you look at QB hits, hurries, and sacks, he does a lot in the passer rushing department.

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 03:59 PM

Yes really. Hightower is well known as arguably the best pass rushing ILB in the league. He can also rush from the outside, something Timmons is horrible at. Its not all about sacks. Do you think Brandon Graham sucks?

86WARD
03-13-2017, 04:34 PM
It's pointless to debate it. If and when he gets to Pittsburgh, he's leaving NY now, he's gonna meet, he's gonna take all these back to NE and sign with Belichick for the $10M/year they offered him. NE told him to go out and check the market and bring an offer back to us. The Steelers offering $6M a year isn't getting it done.

BurghBoy412
03-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Probably just a ploy to get NE to cough up the cash.

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Probably just a ploy to get NE to cough up the cash.

they have like triple the cap space that we do. they wont care

86WARD
03-13-2017, 04:58 PM
NE isn't gonna cough it up, they'll pay what they want and if he leaves, he leaves. They don't give a shit if their free agents leave. Name one free agent that left New England and wound up hurting them? Maybe you could say Richard Seymour but not really...

BurghBoy412
03-13-2017, 04:59 PM
they have like triple the cap space that we do. they wont care
Are we better off with a guy who's played in the biggest games in the league? Or a rookie that hasn't played a snap in the league yet?

Rotorhead
03-13-2017, 05:36 PM
If Vince Williams can fill the void, then why Brown? Signing Brown would be an admission that there is concern that Williams can not fill the void. If you want depth, I would rather pay a rookie/younger guy. They are cheaper and offer maybe some more potential.

Depth is exactly the reason, experienced depth. Let Brown and VW fight it out in camp for the starting position, then we have a solid depth. How did our DL depth work out after Heyward was lost for the season? I do think VW can fill in for Timmons, I didn't say he was as good as Timmons though, I didnt say there wouldnt be a drop off. There is a drop off between VW and Timmons (not enough to cause alarm though). I also think Brown is an upgrade over VW so why not if he comes in at 4-5m/year.

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Are we better off with a guy who's played in the biggest games in the league? Or a rookie that hasn't played a snap in the league yet?

presenting only 2 choices? man oh man, this situation is much more flexible than that.

1. personally i dont want hightower. if we need to pull a free agent for vote of lack of confidence in vince williams, i would love zach brown. his market value is around $4.5 million right now per sportrac. Thats outstanding value for a young, all-purpose ILB that was a 2nd team All-Pro

2. why's it got to be a rookie that has to start? why not vince williams? he has extensive experience in our system and is a cerebral hard working player. hasnt had a lot of pass coverage experience here. perhaps he'll end up exposed, perhaps he wont. if we choose not to replace him with a free agent ILB, we can move towards other sub packages to mask that deficiency. Lots of teams are using hybrid linebacker/safeties. Deone Buchanon, Mark Barron, Kam Chancellor, and Sua Cravens are a couple of guys finding success in these roles. the nfl is a subpackage league anyways

3. there are several rookies i would feel good about plug and playing as either a hybrid linebacker/safety or ILB: Haason Reddick, Reuben Foster, Jarrad Davis, Obi Melifonwu, Josh Jones, and Raekwon McMillan. ILB/MLB's step right into the league all the time and excel

DesertSteel
03-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Yes. If you look at QB hits, hurries, and sacks, he does a lot in the passer rushing department.

Yes really. Hightower is well known as arguably the best pass rushing ILB in the league. He can also rush from the outside, something Timmons is horrible at. Its not all about sacks. Do you think Brandon Graham sucks?

I disagree. He's a good player and maybe worth $8-10M, but we need a guy who can GET TO the QB - SACKS! If a Steelers player was putting up those stats, we wouldn't be talking about what a great pass rusher he was.

polamalubeast
03-13-2017, 06:05 PM
The sacks is not the problem for the steelers in the last 2 years....The pressure is one of the big problem of this defense.

DesertSteel
03-13-2017, 06:10 PM
The sacks is not the problem for the steelers in the last 2 years....The pressure is one of the big problem of this defense.
Again, I disagree. They were both problems.

polamalubeast
03-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Again, I disagree. They were both problems.

The steelers were in the top 5 in sacks in 2015 and in top 10 in 2016.But they were bad in pressure....

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 06:15 PM

this. jesus christ, this.

we were top 3 in the league in sacks 2 years ago but we were towards the bottom quartile in total pressures. sacks dont mean shit. even "good" defenses will put up about 2.5-4 sacks a game in the 30-40 attempts theyre going to face in the duration of 60 minutes. it does your defense no good when they sit their with their thumbs up their ass the rest of the game. Prorate Dupree's production this past season to 16 games and he basically had a double digit sack season. Guys like Brandon Graham record half those sacks but theyre still some of the best pass rushers in the league. James Harrison hasnt put up a lot of sacks the past 2 seasons but he has still been one of the top pass rushers in the league. Are the 2 usually tied together to some capacity (total pressures and total sacks), yeah definitely. But they arent mutually exclusive.

Disclaimer: i still dont want Hightower

DesertSteel
03-13-2017, 06:44 PM
The steelers were in the top 5 in sacks in 2015 and in top 10 in 2016.But they were bad in pressure....
We need sacks from the OLB position. Look at the entire LB corp: JH is an old man; Jarvis Jones was a bust; LT is gone; Dupree has POTENTIAL but is unproven. Shazier is legit in the middle. There's NO WAY that we are even close to set at LB, from a pass rushing standpoint. I'd love to have Hightower. He's a disrupter. But I'm not buying what a great pass rusher he is with 2.5 sacks.

BurghBoy412
03-13-2017, 08:48 PM
presenting only 2 choices? man oh man, this situation is much more flexible than that.

1. personally i dont want hightower. if we need to pull a free agent for vote of lack of confidence in vince williams, i would love zach brown. his market value is around $4.5 million right now per sportrac. Thats outstanding value for a young, all-purpose ILB that was a 2nd team All-Pro

2. why's it got to be a rookie that has to start? why not vince williams? he has extensive experience in our system and is a cerebral hard working player. hasnt had a lot of pass coverage experience here. perhaps he'll end up exposed, perhaps he wont. if we choose not to replace him with a free agent ILB, we can move towards other sub packages to mask that deficiency. Lots of teams are using hybrid linebacker/safeties. Deone Buchanon, Mark Barron, Kam Chancellor, and Sua Cravens are a couple of guys finding success in these roles. the nfl is a subpackage league anyways

3. there are several rookies i would feel good about plug and playing as either a hybrid linebacker/safety or ILB: Haason Reddick, Reuben Foster, Jarrad Davis, Obi Melifonwu, Josh Jones, and Raekwon McMillan. ILB/MLB's step right into the league all the time and excel
I wonder if the coaching staff doesn't see Williams as starting talent? Or is Hightower just a better player in their opinion? Something must be wrong with Williams if they aren't willing to give him a shot. I mean the coaches would know beings that they're around these guys daily.

I won't argue that versatility on the Defensive side of the ball is becoming ever more important with each passing year. The days of the small corner that can only cover or the lb that can only play the run are over. With exception of the lineman. You better have 7-8 guys out there that can do it all nowadays.

teegre
03-13-2017, 09:08 PM
In the 2012 draft, Keith Butler was disheartened when he didn't get "his" linebacker...

Mojouw
03-13-2017, 09:37 PM
In the 2012 draft, Keith Butler was disheartened when he didn't get "his" linebacker...

That was 4 years ago. I really have a feeling that Shazier or Duane Buchannon are they way to go, not more "traditional" Lbers like Hightower.

I guess the question is, does Butler? Based on their attempts to play a big nickel package with 3 safeties last season until Golden proved he couldn't handle it, I would say yes.

teegre
03-13-2017, 09:40 PM
That was 4 years ago. I really have a feeling that Shazier or Duane Buchannon are they way to go, not more "traditional" Lbers like Hightower.

I guess the question is, does Butler? Based on their attempts to play a big nickel package with 3 safeties last season until Golden proved he couldn't handle it, I would say yes.

Most likely, you are correct. But, man-crushes die hard.

Mojouw
03-13-2017, 10:07 PM

I wonder if the bromance is still alive?

st33lersguy
03-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Too expensive. He's commanding over half the Steelers available salary cap

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 10:39 PM

I agree that this is what were moving towards. The question is, who else is in the draft/free agency market that is capable of being a hybrid safety/roving linebacker?

Jabrill Peppers
Obi Melifonwu
Haason Reddick

i think everyone knows those are givens. is there anyone else? i would argue that Jarrad davis out of florida can become pretty good at this. Josh Jones is a possibility but needs to be coached up a lot for this role.

In free agency, probably just TJ Mcdonald

BlackAndGold
03-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Hightower has ZERO career INT's, and only 2 forced fumbles....

BlackAndGold
03-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Hightower(along with House) are currently meeting with the Steelers.

Method28
03-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Malcom Butler visiting Saints. If Saints sign him, NE might be tempted to just take the #11 pick and draft Ruben Foster as Hightowers replacement

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
03-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Malcom Butler visiting Saints. If Saints sign him, NE might be tempted to just take the #11 pick and draft Ruben Foster as Hightowers replacement

god damnit. i hate the damn patriots and their win-win situations :lol:. id prefer that the patriots end up keeping Butler because of how high the saint's pick is.

What if one of the top 2 safeties fall? ill be livid.

And this isnt even counting the likelihood that Garoppolo gets traded to the browns for picks that are about as high as the one the saints are dangling

WCSteeler
03-14-2017, 12:52 PM
We need sacks from the OLB position. Look at the entire LB corp: JH is an old man; Jarvis Jones was a bust; LT is gone; Dupree has POTENTIAL but is unproven. Shazier is legit in the middle. There's NO WAY that we are even close to set at LB, from a pass rushing standpoint. I'd love to have Hightower. He's a disrupter. But I'm not buying what a great pass rusher he is with 2.5 sacks.

The Steelers should throw whatever is necessary at Hightower to get him signed, he is exactly what Tomlin is talking about when we mentions "splash plays". The idea of Vince Williams as a replacement for Timmons is not acceptable. Williams is not consistent, if he were he would have played far more often. Hightower in the middle with Shazier seems like a nightmare for any defense and let's keep one thing in mind, the Steelers should be watching what New England is doing because the Superbowl runs through Foxboro and it's high time the Steelers go all in while Ben is still physically capable.

BlackAndGold
03-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Via Kaboly, he's still at the Steelers facility, been there for 6 hours.

BlackAndGold
03-14-2017, 01:11 PM

polamalubeast
03-14-2017, 01:12 PM
False hope.....

BlackAndGold
False hope.....

:heh:

Shoes

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/keith-butler-pounding-table-donta-hightower/

st33lersguy
03-14-2017, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry, but the idea of spending over half the salary cap on another team's players, particularly one that is not very good in coverage, and doesn't produce turnovers, does not sound like a smart idea. Plus we really have no idea what we are getting, how he'll do without Bellichick, whether he'll even make any effort after winning 2 Super Bowls and getting paid. Spending a large chunk of the available salary cap just to sign someone seems like an act of desperation and contrary to what some fans panicking over the moves the Patriots are making, the Steelers do not need to make desperation signings. They would be wise to find value in cheaper signings, re-sign AV, Tuitt, and Shazier, and continue to stockpile on young athletic defenders

Shoes
03-14-2017, 01:16 PM
I'd rather pass on Hightower.

polamalubeast
03-14-2017, 01:19 PM
This is obvious than the steelers have no confidence in Vince Williams.

I prefer to sign Hightower than drafted an ILB in the first round.

tube517
03-14-2017, 01:20 PM
I'd rather pass on Hightower.

So would all the QB's in the league.

Thank you! I'm here all week! :couch:

BlackAndGold
03-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Via Kaboly, GM Kevin Colbert has left the building

Shoes
03-14-2017, 01:22 PM
So would all the QB's in the league.

Thank you! I'm here all week! :couch:

:toofunny:

tube517
03-14-2017, 01:33 PM

BlackAndGold
03-14-2017, 01:37 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/BooThisMan.gif

86WARD
03-14-2017, 01:51 PM
House signed with the Packers while on his visit in Pittsburgh...lol.

BlackAndGold
03-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Hightower has left the building without a contract.

Dwinsgames
03-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Hightower has left the building without a contract.

and 3 offices bugged .... advantage Belicheat

Rotorhead
03-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Was this really a surprise, the last 2 teams he met with stated he wanted to stay in NE. We were not going to offer more than NE. And the road to the SB doesn't necessarily go through NE. We could easily get the 1 seed, if Denver signs Romo, they could also get the 1 seed. Marsha could get injured and their season is over. We could walk into Foxboro with a fully healthy offense next season and win also.

86WARD
03-14-2017, 04:04 PM
Not a surprise at all. I said it earlier, Belichick sent him out to find a deal better than they were offering and he's not finding it and he will wind up signing in NE for the original deal.

As for going to NE healthy and winning? There's nothing that the Steelers have ever done that would lead anyone to believe that was a realistic possibility.

st33lersguy
03-14-2017, 04:11 PM
No surprise. Asking price likely too high

Dwinsgames
03-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Was this really a surprise, the last 2 teams he met with stated he wanted to stay in NE. We were not going to offer more than NE. And the road to the SB doesn't necessarily go through NE. We could easily get the 1 seed, if Denver signs Romo, they could also get the 1 seed. Marsha could get injured and their season is over. We could walk into Foxboro with a fully healthy offense next season and win also.

the ONLY way to go into NE and beat the Brady led Patriots playing a zone oriented defense is to score 40+ yourself ... otherwise you have almost no hope ... ( its a proven fact )

the crazy thing is our coaching staff does not seem to understand this ...

Man and pressure beats the Patriots without it may as well stay home

Psycho Ward 86
03-14-2017, 04:29 PM

BlackAndGold
03-14-2017, 04:46 PM

Dwinsgames
03-14-2017, 04:56 PM
LMAO " don't blink" which one is supposed to be Tomlin / Colbert hmmm

Dwinsgames
03-14-2017, 05:15 PM
https://twitter.com/walshjoey4/status/841753444956426240

WCSteeler
03-14-2017, 05:38 PM
https://twitter.com/walshjoey4/status/841753444956426240

Sadly but true

Bluecoat96
03-14-2017, 06:18 PM
I don't know. The whole statement about the Steelers saying they'll pull their offer if he gets on the plane sounds a little suspect to me. I call bs. Maybe. Lol.

Look, the Jets are a dumpster fire. We'll see if the Titans are much better. He wouldn't have spent the entire day in Pittsburgh if there wasn't any real interest on his part. He is doing his due diligence instead of just just chasing the quick, big dollars.

IMHO, of course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2017, 06:27 PM
I don't know. The whole statement about the Steelers saying they'll pull their offer if he gets on the plane sounds a little suspect to me. I call bs. Maybe. Lol.

Look, the Jets are a dumpster fire. We'll see if the Titans are much better. He wouldn't have spent the entire day in Pittsburgh if there wasn't any real interest on his part. He is doing his due diligence instead of just just chasing the quick, big dollars.

IMHO, of course.

No, what he's doing is shopping for offers that he can take back to the Pats for bargaining on a new contract from them. That's exactly why the Steelers said that if he gets on the plane, the offer is off the table.

DesertSteel
03-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Wow! If they can manage the numbers and keep our guys signed, it would be incredible to take the #2 FA off the board. I'm guessing the offer was substantial to give that kind of ultimatum.

AtlantaDan
03-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Wow! If they can manage the numbers and keep our guys signed, it would be incredible to take the #2 FA off the board. I'm guessing the offer was substantial to give that kind of ultimatum.

Or to avoid being embarrassed again after the House fiasco (not the failure to sign him but having House sign with the Packers while on his Steelers visit)

Hightower is going nowhere other than back to the Pats unless the Steelers offer has blown through the ceiling of his market value, which is not how the Steelers usually roll in free agency

DesertSteel
03-14-2017, 06:56 PM
They usually don't even make offers to the top tier. I don't believe they low balled him with an insulting offer.

AtlantaDan
03-14-2017, 07:09 PM
They usually don't even make offers to the top tier. I don't believe they low balled him with an insulting offer.

I do not think it is low ball but if it is market value my bet is he expects the Pats to match it - the initial lowball offer probably came from Belichick - as far as saying the offer is void if Hightower gets on the plane, if Hightower's iPhone is dead he can presumably borrow one to call the Pats or any other team with which he is negotiating with what was offered before getting on the plane

If he was signing with the Steelers my guess is he would not have left without a contract - saying accept it before you get on the plane fits if we still communicated by landline and did not have enough change to call from a pay phone - a real ultimatum would be the offer is void once you leave this office (I have used that line in litigation when I had the leverage and meant it)

BurghBoy412
03-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Did we honestly think he was gonna sign?? He'll be back in New England.

Psycho Ward 86
03-14-2017, 07:28 PM
i saw on NFL.com that Kevin Colbert was supposed to go to Wisconsin's pro day to see TJ Watt or something like that right away but he went late to stay and keep talking to Hightower

BurghBoy412
03-14-2017, 07:32 PM
Are all these failed signings a sign of trouble?

BlackAndGold
03-14-2017, 07:58 PM

None what so ever.

DesertSteel
03-14-2017, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't think so. Guys just choosing to stay put or return home. Tomlin is the most loved coach of all NFL players from the last poll I saw. And we are one of the winningest teams of the 2000's.

Shoes
03-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Maybe Colbert & Tomlin should invest in one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qccGdrdJuX8

All kidding aside I'm happy they didn't sign Hightower.

Bluecoat96
03-14-2017, 08:25 PM
I see that the dipshit Mr. Crash is having a field day with this over on Twitter.

BurghBoy412
03-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Is it confirmed that he's not signing?

Shoes
03-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Is it confirmed that he's not signing?

If he got on the aircraft it is, according to what Colbert said.

BurghBoy412
03-14-2017, 08:32 PM
If he got on the aircraft it is, according to what Colbert said.

Its still up in the air then.lol

Shoes
03-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Its still up in the air then.lol

:chuckle:

WCSteeler
03-14-2017, 08:37 PM

Its not good, the Steelers are relying solely on the draft class to make themselves better. As of now Vince Williams replaces Timmons and Jarvis Jones was awful but at least he provided some depth and somewhat knew the system. It's gotta be somewhat concerning that the Steelers have limited visits and House signs with Green Bay while still in Pittsburgh and Hightower walked away from what seems to be a legitimate SB Contender.

BurghBoy412
03-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Its not good, the Steelers are relying solely on the draft class to make themselves better. As of now Vince Williams replaces Timmons and Jarvis Jones was awful but at least he provided some depth and somewhat knew the system. It's gotta be somewhat concerning that the Steelers have limited visits and House signs with Green Bay while still in Pittsburgh and Hightower walked away from what seems to be a legitimate SB Contender.

I was thinking along those lines exactly. They seem to be a few players away from a Championship and everyone is walking. I dunno but it a head scrathcer:scratchchin:

BurghBoy412
03-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Is it Ben? None of them want to play with Ben, huh?

Method28
03-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Just sign him to see if Hightower can get us in touch with the Pats "video team" lol

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Is it Ben? None of them want to play with Ben, huh?

What would possibly make you say that?

The most likely reason is because other teams seem to be willing to pay more than what these players are worth and the Steelers won't.

AtlantaDan
03-14-2017, 09:00 PM

As opposed to walking away from the defending Super Bowl champ?

If Hightower wants another ring the most logical place to go is back to New England, which will be favored to win at least the AFC again.

If he wants to accept the max offer it will not be from the Steelers according to ESPN.

If Hightower is looking for the biggest financial score, the Jets will win the bidding war.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67508/jets-making-all-out-blitz-for-free-agent-lb-donta-hightower

The dumbest franchises overpay - take a guess which one of the three that is when choosing between the Pats, Steelers and Jets

86WARD
03-14-2017, 09:03 PM
The Steelers were a few players away...now they are a few players and a lot of depth away. They are going backwards at the moment...

BurghBoy412
03-14-2017, 09:11 PM
The comment about Ben was a joke man

AtlantaDan
03-14-2017, 09:11 PM
The Steelers were a few players away...now they are a few players and a lot of depth away. They are going backwards at the moment...

I thought Timmons would walk and never thought Hightower would be signed.

But lowballing Cockrell without bringing in a free agent CB is going to create a real problem if they either lose Cockrell or have to match an offer for an amount they did not anticipate he would receive. Not giving Cockrell a higher tender offer while negotiating with a CB who was benched by the horrid Jax Jags is hard to figure.

Shoes
03-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Hightower wants to stay in NE. End of story. You can't sign a guy that has Bill Belichick portraits on his living room walls.

BurghBoy412
03-14-2017, 09:20 PM
I thought Timmons would walk and never thought Hightower would be signed.

But lowballing Cockrell without bringing in a free agent CB is going to create a real problem if they either lose Cockrell or have to match an offer for an amount they did not anticipate he would receive. Not giving Cockrell a higher tender offer while negotiating with a CB who was benched by the horrid Jax Jags is hard to figure.
I actually find that encouraging. Cockrell is horrible. He like a 2016 version of Dwayne Washington. He' constantly getting beat. I'll take any CB in the first 4 rounds of the draft over him. Yes, I would prefer to start a rookie instead of go through another season with Cockrell.

DesertSteel
03-14-2017, 09:21 PM
Losing LT and Jarvis Jones
Adding Cam and MB (he'll be reinstated), Golson, and maybe Green.

No way do I see that we're going backwards, especially when you consider adding a year of experience to our three starting rookies on D. Plus the draft.

BurghBoy412
03-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Hightower wants to stay in NE. End of story. You can't sign a guy that has Bill Belichick portraits on his living room walls.
That's kinda creepy bro[emoji102]

WCSteeler
03-14-2017, 09:47 PM
As opposed to walking away from the defending Super Bowl champ?

If Hightower wants another ring the most logical place to go is back to New England, which will be favored to win at least the AFC again.

If he wants to accept the max offer it will not be from the Steelers according to ESPN.

If Hightower is looking for the biggest financial score, the Jets will win the bidding war.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67508/jets-making-all-out-blitz-for-free-agent-lb-donta-hightower

The dumbest franchises overpay - take a guess which one of the three that is when choosing between the Pats, Steelers and Jets

My point is that the Steelers arrow looks to be pointed down at the moment and it seems free agents are steering clear of them. I realize the Steelers do not make big name free agent signings but last we saw the Steelers had very little pass rush and a very,very soft secondary so it seems like the logical response would be adding players via free agency and not relying on in house solutions and the draft. If the Patriots manhandled the Steelers without all of their offseason moves what makes anyone think they would do any better the next time around

- - - Updated - - -

No way do I see that we're going backwards, especially when you consider adding a year of experience to our three starting rookies on D. Plus the draft.

So Cam, a guy that can't make it past training camp and a couple of yet to be named rookies will be the answer vs Brady and the improved Pats offense?

86WARD
03-14-2017, 09:57 PM

You're missing 2 starting CBs, a starting MLB, serious OLB depth and quality edge rushing talent. You haven't added anything to the defense other than at DL which was one of the stronger points for most of the season...and really isn't an add. The weak spots have gotten weaker because there's a talent drop off at the moment. Great...add Golson...he's a bigger question mark than the player they will pick in round one. He's much, much less than dependable at this stage and as for Bryant, he doesn't help the D.

Shoes
03-14-2017, 09:58 PM
My point is that the Steelers arrow looks to be pointed down at the moment and it seems free agents are steering clear of them. I realize the Steelers do not make big name free agent signings but last we saw the Steelers had very little pass rush and a very,very soft secondary so it seems like the logical response would be adding players via free agency and not relying on in house solutions and the draft. If the Patriots manhandled the Steelers without all of their offseason moves what makes anyone think they would do any better the next time around

- - - Updated - - -

So Cam, a guy that can't make it past training camp and a couple of yet to be named rookies will be the answer vs Brady and the improved Pats offense?

If the Steeler coaching staff had a real game plan just once against NE it would be a huge step forward. They must hit on every draft pick this year, I'm not counting on Golson or Green. Golson imo is less than a rookie, he hasn't played football in years.

DesertSteel
03-14-2017, 10:06 PM
My COMMENT was in response to a post stating that "The Steelers have gone backwards." Did I say that we were doing better than the Patriots?!

- - - Updated - - -

You're missing 2 starting CBs, a starting MLB, serious OLB depth and quality edge rushing talent. You haven't added anything to the defense other than at DL which was one of the stronger points for most of the season...and really isn't an add. The weak spots have gotten weaker because there's a talent drop off at the moment. Great...add Golson...he's a bigger question mark than the player they will pick in round one. He's much, much less than dependable at this stage and as for Bryant, he doesn't help the D.
Who are the TWO STARTING CB's that we are missing???

st33lersguy
03-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Steelers haven't signed anyone yet so apparently it's time to panic :panic:

Honestly, there are still players out there, players that can come cheap and can be role-players, which is the typical free-agent signing anyway. Hope people weren't expecting them to sign $10 million a year or more for someone or expecting them to change their free agency strategy based off of a defeat in the AFC Championship game that had a lot to do with poor game planning

Dwinsgames
03-14-2017, 10:13 PM
My COMMENT was in response to a post stating that "The Steelers have gone backwards." Did I say that we were doing better than the Patriots?!

- - - Updated - - -

guessing whomever will play in Cockrells spot and whomever will play the slot as it is considered a starting spot these days since teams are in nickle and dime more often than base .....

DesertSteel
03-14-2017, 10:18 PM
guessing whomever will play in Cockrells spot and whomever will play the slot as it is considered a starting spot these days since teams are in nickle and dime more often than base .....
Cockrell is still a Steeler.

Dwinsgames
03-14-2017, 10:34 PM
Cockrell is still a Steeler.

but not truly of starter quality and as mark Kaboly wrote he is getting a lot of interest because of his original round tender offer ( 4th round ) teams may be willing to make that gamble even if they do not see him as a starter ....

he is a very good next man up but he isnt " the man "

DesertSteel
03-14-2017, 10:41 PM
but not truly of starter quality and as mark Kaboly wrote he is getting a lot of interest because of his original round tender offer ( 4th round ) teams may be willing to make that gamble even if they do not see him as a starter ....

he is a very good next man up but he isnt " the man "

Right but we didn't lose him. If anything we'll trade him for a 4th round pick, which I doubt anyone will give up for him.

teegre
03-14-2017, 10:45 PM
My point is that the Steelers arrow looks to be pointed down at the moment and it seems free agents are steering clear of them.

Spot on.

The Steelers offered Mike Glennon $16 million/year, and was like: "No way... you guys suck!!!"

st33lersguy
03-14-2017, 10:50 PM
My point is that the Steelers arrow looks to be pointed down at the moment and it seems free agents are steering clear of them.

Steelers bowed out themselves out of Dre Kirkpatrick and Logan Ryan because they recognized neither were worth $10 million plus. House wanted to return to Green Bay and I think Hightower just wants to do the same.

Dwinsgames
03-14-2017, 10:52 PM
Steelers bowed out themselves out of Dre Kirkpatrick and Logan Ryan because they recognized neither were worth $10 million plus. House wanted to return to Green Bay and I think Hightower just wants to do the same.

a simple phone call could have provided insight to those things with the latter 2 FA's though ... time could have been spent elsewhere with a little due diligence one would think

Shoes
03-14-2017, 10:59 PM

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-15-2017, 12:11 AM
Cockrell is still a Steeler. That is the problem!

86WARD
03-15-2017, 06:03 AM

- - - Updated - - -

You have Burns and that's it. Cockrell isn't starting quality, he's still here, but he's not starting quality and if you were satisfied with his play last season, you are going to have issues and you're looking to fill Gay's Nickel spot. 1 out of 3 isn't going to cut it. As of right now, the holes are getting bigger as players leave, the "couple" good players away from a championship is becoming a "few" good players...the good thing is this is when Pittsburgh starts finding that under the radar talent.

Born2Steel
03-15-2017, 07:54 AM
Why are the people saying they do not want a player signed, the same exact people now saying we suck because we didn't sign anybody? Nobody on here wanted Glennon, Kirkpatrick, Hightower, and apparently nobody wants Cockrell either. I guess since we are not make some huge splash in FA, we MUST be becoming the Browns or something similar. Lots of good players in this league. Not all of them would work out on this team. Free agency is as big a crap shoot as the draft in some ways. You know what they were, but have no idea what they'll be going forward. You guys need to step off the ledge. This team is not going backward, we are not losing ground on other teams. Take a breath.

AtlantaDan
03-15-2017, 09:04 AM

If you need a vehicle next fall and the only two cars on the lot at the moment are a loaded Mercedes SL you cannot afford together with a junker leaking transmission fluid do you buy one of those or wait to see what else comes on the market?

86WARD
03-15-2017, 09:14 AM
If you need a vehicle next fall and the only two cars on the lot at the moment are a loaded Mercedes SL you cannot afford together with a junker leaking transmission fluid do you buy one of those or wait to see what else comes on the market?

Lol. Of course you wait. Just like Colbert and Tomlin are waiting. But while they wait, other cars, that are affordable are coming and going. Some cars they are test driving are being sold while they are in the car on the turnpike. I don't think anyone is in a panic, but as the Steelers roster sits today, it is a worse roster than what they had in 2016. So as of now, they have taken a step back. Hopefully "tomorrow" they take two steps forward. But fans can't sit there and act like they are better today because they signed Brown to a long deal and are negotiating with Bell. That doesn't help the team in 2017...it makes them no better.

BurghBoy412
03-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Why are the people saying they do not want a player signed, the same exact people now saying we suck because we didn't sign anybody? Nobody on here wanted Glennon, Kirkpatrick, Hightower, and apparently nobody wants Cockrell either. I guess since we are not make some huge splash in FA, we MUST be becoming the Browns or something similar. Lots of good players in this league. Not all of them would work out on this team. Free agency is as big a crap shoot as the draft in some ways. You know what they were, but have no idea what they'll be going forward. You guys need to step off the ledge. This team is not going backward, we are not losing ground on other teams. Take a breath.
I'm all for bringing in Hightower. As well as Barwin, Newman, or Verner. Cockrell and Gay must go. I'd even get rid of Mitchell if his replacement​ was available. But as far as gay and Cockrell go... I'd rather play rookies.

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 10:06 AM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/03/15/report-donta-hightower-expected-to-make-decision-wednesday/

Born2Steel
03-15-2017, 10:14 AM
I think Hightower would be a great addition to the Steelers. Will he cost too much? That depends on what you think he's worth. $10Mil/year, for me, is right in line with what he should make. We made our offer so let's see what he chooses. Most are betting he returns to the Pats. Guess we'll see.

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 10:24 AM
It would shock the world if the Steelers got him (me anyway) :)

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 10:43 AM

sometimes waiting is out of the question , you must have said car to get back to work with and without it you lose your paychecks ....

nobody wants to over pay , however one could argue we have targeted players whom ....

A) have been out of our price range

B) have shown a desire of playing elsewhere

C) really add nothing in terms of value over whom they would be replacing but at a higher price tag

one could argue we should be kicking the tires on someone like Patrick Robinson (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/6541/) ,Sam Shields (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/7059/),..... ( Robert Mathis (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/5029/) , Dwight Freeney (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/5013/) or Elvis Dumervil (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/2495/) on a 1 year deal to rotate with Harrison until we get a rookie worthy of snaps) perhaps investigate Erik Walden (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/5063/) and find out if his troubles are behind him ( he quietly put up 11 sacks last year ) .... Deshawn Shead (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/10429/) has always been impressive when I catch a Seahags game and he is 28 so should have a few good years left ...... Jared Odrick (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/6537/) is still under 30 get some medicals on the kid and see how the elbow is ( the only reason he lost his job last year ) but we do not hear any of these guys associated with Pittsburgh ...:crazy:

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 10:45 AM
sometimes waiting is out of the question , you must have said car to get back to work with and without it you lose your paychecks ....

nobody wants to over pay , however one could argue we have targeted players whom ....

A) have been out of our price range

B) have shown a desire of playing elsewhere

C) really add nothing in terms of value over whom they would be replacing but at a higher price tag

one could argue we should be kicking the tires on someone like Patrick Robinson (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/6541/) ,Sam Shields (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/7059/),..... ( Robert Mathis (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/5029/) , Dwight Freeney (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/5013/) or Elvis Dumervil (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/2495/) on a 1 year deal to rotate with Harrison until we get a rookie worthy of snaps) perhaps investigate Erik Walden (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/5063/) and find out if his troubles are behind him ( he quietly put up 11 sacks last year ) .... Deshawn Shead (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/10429/) has always been impressive when I catch a Seahags game and he is 28 so should have a few good years left ...... Jared Odrick (http://www.spotrac.com/redirect/player/6537/) is still under 30 get some medicals on the kid and see how the elbow is ( the only reason he lost his job last year ) but we do not hear any of these guys associated with Pittsburgh ...:crazy:

or better yet we could be bringing in free agents to talk to who have been healthy, wont come at a ridiculous cost, and have very obvious upside to thrive here *cough cough* Zach Brown and Connor Barwin

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2017, 10:51 AM
or better yet we could be bringing in free agents to talk to who have been healthy, wont come at a ridiculous cost, and have very obvious upside to thrive here *cough cough* Zach Brown and Connor Barwin

I agree. No reason to not at least bring those guys in.

tube517
03-15-2017, 10:59 AM

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/14/report-steelers-linked-to-free-agent-olb-connor-barwin/

(Not sure if this was posted alredy)

Born2Steel
03-15-2017, 10:59 AM

If we brought in Hightower for legitimate offer, we should be bringing in Brown and Barwin also. Hightower is not expected to sign here. Hopefully calls are being made and meetings are being scheduled. I would still like to know what the Revis camp is asking on a 1-2 year deal.

Mojouw
03-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Why would Barwin come here?

He puts up sacks whenever he isn't asked to play 4-3 DE. He can go to the Rams, reunite with Wade Phillips and START. Or he can come here for back-up money and randomly rotate according to the whims of the DC? Heck, he might play 4th fiddle to Dupree, Deebo, and a shiny new rookie.

Everyone wants us to sign this guy or that guy and then have them be back-ups. C'mon man!

Dear Random FA,
We realize that you were a starter on your previous team. However our vision is that you sign for a low salary to be a back-up on the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have polled our fans and they believe this would be the best way for you to become a member of Steelers Nation and chase a ring.

Thanks,
Kevin Colbert

That is not much of sales pitch.

Born2Steel
03-15-2017, 11:25 AM
If Barwin did come here to back up, he would be behind James or Bud, not both. Chickillo/Moats would play behind the other. OR as you said in another post, Moats could move back inside to his natural position. Barwin/Harrison would be a deadly combo on that side. Money IS the big issue though. Why would he take back up money is still a nagging question. He probably wouldn't.

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 11:29 AM

He puts up sacks whenever he isn't asked to play 4-3 DE. He can go to the Rams, reunite with Wade Phillips and START. Or he can come here for back-up money and randomly rotate according to the whims of the DC? Heck, he might play 4th fiddle to Dupree, Deebo, and a shiny new rookie.

Everyone wants us to sign this guy or that guy and then have them be back-ups. C'mon man!

Dear Random FA,
We realize that you were a starter on your previous team. However our vision is that you sign for a low salary to be a back-up on the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have polled our fans and they believe this would be the best way for you to become a member of Steelers Nation and chase a ring.

Thanks,
Kevin Colbert

Who said he would be a backup? If Dupree makes the leap, fantastic. He is reaching his pedigree. If he doesnt, Connor will step right in and provide great all-around play for us. James Harrison is 38. You dont grow dependent on players that old. Sure, he isnt your typical human being but thats a dumb gamble to make. Harrison essentially played starter snaps for a little over half the season the past 2 seasons. I dont want to bet on him having the same production for the duration of a full season. What are the chances that Dupree doesnt make the leap OR Harrison declines? What are the chances of both happening? Those scenarios have decent chance of coming to fruition. If one doesnt keep their arrow up, Barwin steps in seamlessly and we dont skip a beat. If both of them excel, we now have an extremely dangerous pass rush platoon + we can keep our OLB's fresh. Win win in my book.

Harrison is making super cheap back up money as it is anyways and Dupree is on his cheap rookie contract. We can absorb a Barwin contract just fine, especially if were so willing to throw competitive money at Hightower. Barwin is coming off a down seasons because he's been playing 3-4 OLB his whole life and then the eagles switched him to a DE in a wide-9 scheme. Thats a really awkward transition. He's been healthy virtually his whole career and was productive before that so i dont see any reason why that wouldnt continue. Barwin is also known as a really good off the field guy. Contract wise, he said he was willing to take a paycut in Philly to stay there...in a system that would lose him money because he doesnt even fit in. That doesnt sound like an expensive free agent to me. Staying intra-state for a championship caliber team is something he's never had, sounds like now might be the time. His "down year" was a fluke from the looks of it and that will drive his price down. And dont get me started about Barwin's age (30), were looking at Harrison as a starter next season so :lol:

3 years, $15 million with $7 million guaranteed is something I feel like he could bite on if we show him as much love as Hightower

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 11:34 AM

Luke Kuechly money....

Mojouw
03-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Barwin won't start. Dupree will get every benefit of the doubt and will play unless he is broken. That is the Steelers developmental pattern with young players - force feed them snaps and hope for the best.

They are going to draft a pass rusher because Deebo is ancient. That rookie will follow the same development plan as outlined above for Dupree.

So Barwin is rotational unless injury. Again, why would he agree to that if he can go and start for the Rams and since they are the shitshow that is the Rams they are going to pay him a crappy franchise tax markup.

More money, an almost lock on a starting spot, and his old DC? Hard to beat is my point.

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Barwin won't start. Dupree will get every benefit of the doubt and will play unless he is broken. That is the Steelers developmental pattern with young players - force feed them snaps and hope for the best.

They are going to draft a pass rusher because Deebo is ancient. That rookie will follow the same development plan as outlined above for Dupree.

So Barwin is rotational unless injury. Again, why would he agree to that if he can go and start for the Rams and since they are the shitshow that is the Rams they are going to pay him a crappy franchise tax markup.

More money, an almost lock on a starting spot, and his old DC? Hard to beat is my point.

Connor Barwin is visiting the Bengals of all teams. This guy is willing to play completely out of scheme a 2nd year in a row. And the bengals already have their starting lineup at linebacker established for next season that schematically make sense: Vincent Rey, Rey Maualuga, and Vontaze Burfict.

Steelers, Bengals, Rams are very competitive choices in my opinion. Steelers: Can offer the opportunity to finally play for a superbowl contender, strongly contend for a lot of snaps at worst, offer competitive money with the other suitors, stay intrastate in Pennsylvania, play in his natural position again and be productive again. Bengals: Play for college alma mater, offer competitive money with the other suitors (they have $10 million more in space than us, but the jets have twice as much space as us and we've still been taking Donta Hightower to overtime), but play with 3 other linebackers who are already starting and have been in the system. Rams: play in natural position again, offer probably the most money, play for old DC again (but play for perennially losers)

doesnt that seem like something that requires some time to think over?

86WARD
03-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Dear Random FA,

Thanks,
Kevin Colbert

Exactly and backups play special teams. Barwin hasn't played special teams in years...and probably isn't willing to...

BlackAndGold
03-15-2017, 12:33 PM
Hightower has returned to the Pats.

86WARD
03-15-2017, 12:34 PM
Not surprising...I think we all expected as much...it's what NE does.

BlackAndGold
03-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Via Rapoport: 4 years, $43.5M, $19 guaranteed

How long before he gets traded? 2 years?

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Hightower has returned to the Pats.

4 years 43.5 million with 19 million guaranteed

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Yea, I'm not surprised either. I think it's actually better that we didn't sign him as long as we work to fill that position with someone who's capable of bringing heat and dropping into coverage. It saves us cap room.

I'd like to see us show some interest in Zach Brown though.

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Yea, I'm not surprised either. I think it's actually better that we didn't sign him as long as we work to fill that position with someone who's capable of bringing heat and dropping into coverage. It saves us cap room.

I'd like to see us show some interest in Zach Brown though.

And now Zach Brown is visiting the Raiders ($35 million in cap space). They also lost a starting inside linebacker. I bet we wont even field a call

NCSteeler
03-15-2017, 01:13 PM
The league should collude to not even host a Patriots free agent. If they are ready to let them go , they will cut them or trade them anything else is just you doing Thier negotiating work for them. Just like we did years ago with Andy Lee. F the Patriots

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

BlackAndGold
03-15-2017, 01:18 PM

Via Dale Lolley, they were offering a contract in the range of $8mil per season.

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 01:23 PM
I'm encouraged that they were willing to go after a top tier guy. In some ways, I think it's best that it didn't work out. I'd rather have an OLB or CB. Most of the top shelf guys are gone, but perhaps there's still somebody out there. I need to check the board.

- - - Updated - - -

Via Dale Lolley, they were offering a contract in the range of $8mil per season.

I have a hard time believing that. I've got to think that would've been a short conversation. I bet it was $10M.

AtlantaDan
03-15-2017, 01:28 PM

BurghBoy412
03-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Damn! I was hoping he would sign.

Shoes
03-15-2017, 01:30 PM

He has now added Bills portrait to the remaining rooms of his house.

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2017, 01:35 PM
I have a hard time believing that. I've got to think that would've been a short conversation. I bet it was $10M.

I agree. I don't know where Lolley was getting that info but everything that I read said that the Pats offered him $10M/year originally.

BurghBoy412
03-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Well at least NE was finally forced to open the check book for a player.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 01:44 PM
Well at least NE was finally forced to open the check book for a player.

from what I understand he signed for what they had offered prior to him hitting the road fielding other offers .... if that is the case they only opened as much as they where initially willing ..

AtlantaDan
03-15-2017, 01:54 PM
from what I understand he signed for what they had offered prior to him hitting the road fielding other offers .... if that is the case they only opened as much as they where initially willing ..

Belichick's response after Hightower returned from visiting the Steelers and Jets to ask what offer would be made above what the Pats agreed to pay initially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmIoF_2Q4Y

BurghBoy412
03-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Oh well

BurghBoy412
03-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Besides we don't really know what transpired...

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Besides we don't really know what transpired...

no we only know what is reported and with all this " fake news" floating around the air waves its really anyone's guess

BurghBoy412
03-15-2017, 02:27 PM
no we only know what is reported and with all this " fake news" floating around the air waves its really anyone's guess
The details are not important. He didn't sign. End of story. I don't work in the FO. The money is not my part to have concerns about.

StillCurtains
03-15-2017, 04:06 PM
He was interested initially!
The problem was Butler walked into the room and presented the game plan for when we play
Brady and the Patriots again and he laughed and walked out.

86WARD
03-15-2017, 05:56 PM
I'm encouraged that they were willing to go after a top tier guy. In some ways, I think it's best that it didn't work out. I'd rather have an OLB or CB. Most of the top shelf guys are gone, but perhaps there's still somebody out there. I need to check the board.

- - - Updated - - -

The Steelers offer may have been less per year but it maybe had more guaranteed money that held Hightower's interest?

AtlantaDan
03-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Ed B. of the P-G follows up on his tweet this afternoon that Hightower did the Steelers a solid by not accepting their offer with this article

By heading back to New England, Dont'a Hightower does the Steelers a favor

With crying needs at outside linebacker (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/03/12/Deja-vu-again/stories/201703120195), cornerback, wide receiver and backup running back, the Steelers set their sights on Hightower, a big-name free agent who would have filled none of those holes. They apparently were willing to go nearly all-in on him during the first week of free agency while ignoring top-of-the-line players at their needy positions....

Hightower is overrated and overhyped, partly because he made two key plays to help the Patriots win two Super Bowls, partly because he was a first-round draft pick and partly, well, because he played in New England....

The Steelers would have been better off signing Timmons to the deal Miami gave him instead of throwing money at Hightower, who at 27 may have his best years behind him....

[L]et’s say the Steelers had signed Hightower and used up a good chunk of their $20 million in cap space. What then?

They would still be left with big needs at outside linebacker and cornerback. Plus, how would Stephon Tuitt and his agents perceive Hightower’s deal when it comes time to negotiate an extension this summer. Or Shazier next year?

The Steelers rarely spend a ton of money in free agency, but this has also been the first time they’ve had a reasonable amount of room under the cap. They wasted their time trying to land the wrong player, and while they did not waste their money, they are left with few options but to add some lower-tier signings for depth.

After Hightower saved them from themselves, there’s nothing wrong with that.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/03/15/donta-hightower-patriotrs-steelers-free-agency-rumors-2017-lawrence-timmons-ryan-shazier/stories/201703150164

BlackAndGold
03-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Ed got a lot of hate by Pats fans for that article lol.

Shoes
03-15-2017, 07:44 PM
Ed B. of the P-G follows up on his tweet this afternoon that Hightower did the Steelers a solid by not accepting their offer with this article

With crying needs at outside linebacker (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/03/12/Deja-vu-again/stories/201703120195), cornerback, wide receiver and backup running back, the Steelers set their sights on Hightower, a big-name free agent who would have filled none of those holes. They apparently were willing to go nearly all-in on him during the first week of free agency while ignoring top-of-the-line players at their needy positions....

Hightower is overrated and overhyped, partly because he made two key plays to help the Patriots win two Super Bowls, partly because he was a first-round draft pick and partly, well, because he played in New England....

The Steelers would have been better off signing Timmons to the deal Miami gave him instead of throwing money at Hightower, who at 27 may have his best years behind him....

[L]et’s say the Steelers had signed Hightower and used up a good chunk of their $20 million in cap space. What then?

They would still be left with big needs at outside linebacker and cornerback. Plus, how would Stephon Tuitt and his agents perceive Hightower’s deal when it comes time to negotiate an extension this summer. Or Shazier next year?

The Steelers rarely spend a ton of money in free agency, but this has also been the first time they’ve had a reasonable amount of room under the cap. They wasted their time trying to land the wrong player, and while they did not waste their money, they are left with few options but to add some lower-tier signings for depth.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/03/15/donta-hightower-patriotrs-steelers-free-agency-rumors-2017-lawrence-timmons-ryan-shazier/stories/201703150164

Best article Ed wrote in years!

st33lersguy
03-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Great job Ed

- - - Updated - - -

Ed got a lot of hate by Pats fans for that article lol.

"EDD BOOSHETS ANOTHAH JELLUS HATAH"

tube517
03-17-2017, 12:00 PM
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/62430/Source--Jets-were--out--on-Dont-a-Hightower-after-troubling-physical/Default.aspx

After giving Hightower a physical, the Jets "were not comfortable" offering him a deal, the source said, confirming PFT's report from Thursday night.

BurghBoy412
03-17-2017, 04:37 PM
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/62430/Source--Jets-were--out--on-Dont-a-Hightower-after-troubling-physical/Default.aspx
I guess he's also only played in about 60% of games in his career. Glad it didn't happen now!!

DesertSteel
03-17-2017, 05:30 PM
Does this thread have an expiration date? :yawn:

Born2Steel
03-17-2017, 06:06 PM
Does this thread have an expiration date? :yawn:

Best if read by March 15th.

Psycho Ward 86
03-17-2017, 07:00 PM
I guess he's also only played in about 60% of games in his career. Glad it didn't happen now!!

I dont see that in the article. where did you see that

BurghBoy412
03-17-2017, 08:00 PM
I dont see that in the article. where did you see that
PFT with Mike Florio was talking about it today. I shouldn't have posted that though. I went back and looked at his stats he misses about 4 games per regular season that's not 60%