PDA

View Full Version : Under the Radar Steelers Draft Targets

Mojouw
03-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Got bored this morning and decided to play Kevin Colbert for a minute. Tried to find guys that fit the Steelers recent draft profile - super athletes with great size/speed #'s - that are a bit off the typical prospect radar.

1. Zay Jones WR East Carolina - a potential Larry Fitzgerald clone that not enough people are talking about. His forty time (4.5 and change) likely gets a savvy route runner and an amazing hands guy pushed to the second or third round.

2. Quincy Adeboyejo WR Mississippi - size speed guy with inconsistent hands - sound familiar? Catch and run ability. Could learn to play out of the slot.

3. Shelton Gibson WR WVU - dude can fly. Looks like Desean Jackson or Steve Smith Sr.

4. Taywan Taylor WR Western Kentucky - Anyone a fan of AB and Stefon Diggs? What about a decent copy of those guys working out of the slot? Then draft this guy in the 3rd round.

4. Fabian Moreau CB UCLA - I know, not exactly a "mystery guy". I just couldn't help posting him here. Look at his size and speed - off the charts for a CB. But his tape shows no INTs and raw technique. Why? He is a converted RB with a Lis Franc injury in 2015. Dude tested top 5 in all the combine tests for the DBs. Any other draft class he is getting press as a 1st round CB. This class? Second round. Amazing athlete with good (not great) tape as a press man and cover 3 CB. Sound like a scheme anyone recognizes?

5. Sojourn Shelton CB Wisconsin - meet your next slot CB. Problem is that is all he can do. No special teams, no outside CB, not a great tackler -- but man does he jump routes and stay in the receivers hip pocket. Honestly, he can man cover about as good as Tre White or anyone else in this class. He is just small and not a good tackler. But I'm guessing you can get him in the 6th round.

6. Jeremy Cutrer CB Middle Tennessee - 6'2" and can run. Super light - but that may be fixable with NFL training regime. Get that big man cover corner in the 6th round? Yeah, I'd take that gamble.

7. Jalen Reeves Maybin LB Tennessee - basically what Travis Freeney was last year. Just injured and kinda on the light side for a LB. But can run sideline to sideline and cover.

8. Avery Moss - DE/LB Youngstown State - Rivers gets all the hype, but his bookend can play a bit too. Apparently was at Nebraska until he showed his wiener to some folks that didn't ask to see it. But has been productive rushing the passer off the edge.

9. Josh Harvey-Clemons - S Louisville - Elite safety prospect for a late round cost because he likes drugs. Amazing athlete and sounds like he must be fun to party with.

10. Xavier Woods - S Louisiana Tech - all the guys does is go and get the ball. Not sure where he fits at the NFL level, but would be consistent with picks like Holliman and Golson where the Steelers place an emphasis on guys that like to get their hands on the ball in the secondary.

That's what I got. Not really an expert on these or any other prospects - I just like reading stuff on the internet and playing the guessing game.

BurghBoy412
03-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Josh Jones S NC State

LLT
03-12-2017, 12:47 PM
T.J. Logan- RB North Carolina -Perfect third down/complimentary back with limited size but plenty of versatility. Ran a 4.37 at the combine and tape shows that if he can get the edge he is GONE. Also can be used in the passing game and as a returner.

Eddie Vanderdoes- DE/DL UCLA - Tore ACL and missed almost all of the 2015 season. When he got back on the field in 2016 he didn't seem like he was fully healed and may need a medical evaluation. If a team is willing to take a late round flyer on him AND he returns to form...he could be a reclamation project and eventually a steal.

Shoes
03-12-2017, 01:10 PM
T.J. Logan- RB North Carolina -Perfect third down/complimentary back with limited size but plenty of versatility. Ran a 4.37 at the combine and tape shows that if he can get the edge he is GONE. Also can be used in the passing game and as a returner.

Eddie Vanderdoes- DE/DL UCLA - Tore ACL and missed almost all of the 2015 season. When he got back on the field in 2016 he didn't seem like he was fully healed and may need a medical evaluation. If a team is willing to take a late round flyer on him AND he returns to form...he could be a reclamation project and eventually a steal.

Perry, nice find on Logan.

teegre
03-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Zay Jones WR East Carolina

Shelton Gibson WR WVU

Fabian Moreau CB UCLA

Jones was the best player at the Senior Bowl. He had two TDs erased due to penalties, but they were still great catches. (Hands, hands, hands!!!)

Gibson is tall, fast, has good hands (see: Kansas St. highlights), and is a KR. Great choice for a fourth receiver (who also contributes on special teams).

Moreau was one of my third-round steals at CB, but his combine ruined all of that.

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Tanoh Kpassognon-DE Villanova - 6'7'', 289lb (35 5/8'' arms...10 5/8'' hands). Stupid explosive and productive. Monstrous hitter and motor for days. Tackles really well, great closing speed. Gap penetration is as good as anyone in the draft, great use of hands. Sometimes his pad level could use some work and he could stand to widen his base if he needs to set the edge, but his work ethic is supposed to be really good as is his learning curve.

Apparently he went nuts at the Shrine Game and Senior Bowl. Ive also read that he learned extremely fast during those practices

Mojouw
03-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Jones was the best player at the Senior Bowl. He had two TDs erased due to penalties, but they were still great catches. (Hands, hands, hands!!!)

Gibson is tall, fast, has good hands (see: Kansas St. highlights), and is a KR. Great choice for a fourth receiver (who also contributes on special teams).

Moreau was one of my third-round steals at CB, but his combine ruined all of that.

Those K State highlights are ludicrous.

- - - Updated - - -

Tanoh Kpassognon-DE Villanova - 6'7'', 289lb (35 5/8'' arms...10 5/8'' hands). Stupid explosive and productive. Monstrous hitter and motor for days. Tackles really well, great closing speed. Gap penetration is as good as anyone in the draft, great use of hands. Sometimes his pad level could use some work and he could stand to widen his base if he needs to set the edge, but his work ethic is supposed to be really good as is his learning curve.

Apparently he went nuts at the Shrine Game and Senior Bowl. Ive also read that he learned extremely fast during those practices

I just can't get enough of this guy. Everything you read or hear about him is a positive. Keep wondering if you just stand him up as a Julius Peppers style OLB and take the coverage deficiencies as a more than reasonable trade off?