PDA

View Full Version : Timmons signs with Dolphins

awe1028
03-10-2017, 03:10 PM
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/10/former-steeler-lawrence-timmons-signs-with-dolphins/

Well I guess its now Hammer time (My nick name for Vince Williams) or possibly Haason Reddick

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2017, 03:30 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/26800-Steelers-are-interested-in-bringing-back-Lawrence-Timmons/page3

DesertSteel
03-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Good luck to him. We can make better use of $6M per. Like signing a CB!

awe1028
03-10-2017, 03:48 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/26800-Steelers-are-interested-in-bringing-back-Lawrence-Timmons/page3

Sorry was late to the party was out of commission for a couple of days. Mods can delete if they wish.

Craic
03-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Good luck to him. We can make better use of $6M per. Like signing a CB!

I quite disagree with the latter sentiment. Every time Timmons stepped off the field, our run defense became porous. Here's hoping that stops this year, but I have very little hope it will. Nevertheless, except for Gay and Harrison, that about completes the shift from our mid 00's domination defense.

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2017, 03:55 PM
I quite disagree with the latter sentiment. Every time Timmons stepped off the field, our run defense became porous. Here's hoping that stops this year, but I have very little hope it will. Nevertheless, except for Gay and Harrison, that about completes the shift from our mid 00's domination defense.

Vince Williams is a great run stopper at over 3x less the cost

smokin3000gt
03-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Sorry was late to the party was out of commission for a couple of days. Mods can delete if they wish.

don't worry about it... anyone who isn't following the timmons thread would have missed it. I wasn't so thanks for posting it

SteelerFanInStl
03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Vince Williams is a great run stopper at over 3x less the cost

I agree. Vince is great against the run.

steelreserve
03-10-2017, 04:54 PM
There's no question I'd rather have had him back, but we couldn't afford that price. Just one of those things there's no avoiding. Looks like LB is on our draft list again this year.

Now, the question is, when Timmons gets cut after the first season (it will happen, I am willing to bet money on this), does he come back to us for $3M?

BlackAndGold
03-10-2017, 05:13 PM
(Not exactly comparing, but I will)
10 years ago, Long time Steeler Joey Porter signs with Miami, Pittsburgh didn't worry cause they had James Harrison waiting in the wings.

10 year later, Long time Steeler Lawrence Timmons signs with Miami, Pittsburgh doesn't worry(as of right now) cause they have Vince Williams waiting in the wings.

Rotorhead
03-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Would like to have him finish his career here, but that is the NFL, I have faith in VW so I am not too worried. Besides with a healthy Hayward, Tuitt and 2nd year Hargrave I am not so worried about the inside.

ALLD
03-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Larry is going to like living in Miami. It was a beach day today.

st33lersguy
03-10-2017, 06:04 PM
It would have been nice to keep him, he played well last year, but Vince Williams is solid.

awe1028
03-10-2017, 06:27 PM
I agree. Vince is great against the run.

Very true. His ability to slip into coverage is the question.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-10-2017, 06:30 PM
(Not exactly comparing, but I will)
10 years ago, Long time Steeler Joey Porter signs with Miami, Pittsburgh didn't worry cause they had James Harrison waiting in the wings.

10 year later, Long time Steeler Lawrence Timmons signs with Miami, Pittsburgh doesn't worry(as of right now) cause they have Vince Williams waiting in the wings. That is how I see it and think we may have a beast in the waiting with VW.

Born2Steel
03-10-2017, 06:33 PM
If you guys are going to keep calling him VW, I'm going to start referring to him as Bug.

03-10-2017, 06:34 PM
If you guys are going to keep calling him VW, I'm going to start referring to him as Bug. Haha that will work!

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2017, 07:04 PM
3 things we know about Vdub from his time here:

1) The dude is a cerebral player. He started most of his games his rookie season after Larry Foote got hurt. "oh but it's all due to injury" you say? He was known for putting surrounding players in the right places during training camp as soon as he got here. He also called some of the defensive plays. This from a player drafted deep in the 6th round.

2) Tireless work ethic. Vince admitted he actually stole a playbook when he was a fringe roster player. Works out with James Harrison all the time and anyone who has seen his tweets knows he takes his underdog status with the utmost seriousness

3) He's wanted this starting job, and he's wanted it bad for a long time. Anyone else remember how pissed Vince was when the team drafted Ryan Shazier? He was pissed but kept a good attitude about it too, never bringing it up again. Hell, Vince played so well that he continued to start/play snaps in front of Ryan for a while even when Ryan got healthy again. He had games as a starter this season where he looked like an absolute homewrecker against the chiefs and the jets. While the offense stole the headlines in those games, Vince's obvious improvement from year to year shouldnt be overlooked. He can be a Larry Foote like player in this defense. Im gonna be rooting for this guy even if we get him replaced

Steeldude
03-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Wait, I thought Timmons said he wanted to be a Steeler. What he meant was I want money and I will go to the team that pays me the most.

fansince'76
03-10-2017, 07:53 PM
If you guys are going to keep calling him VW, I'm going to start referring to him as Bug.

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/vince-williams-steelers.jpg

:chuckle:

03-10-2017, 07:54 PM
3 things we know about Vdub from his time here:

1) The dude is a cerebral player. He started most of his games his rookie season after Larry Foote got hurt. "oh but it's all due to injury" you say? He was known for putting surrounding players in the right places during training camp as soon as he got here. He also called some of the defensive plays. This from a player drafted deep in the 6th round.

2) Tireless work ethic. Vince admitted he actually stole a playbook when he was a fringe roster player. Works out with James Harrison all the time and anyone who has seen his tweets knows he takes his underdog status with the utmost seriousness

3) He's wanted this starting job, and he's wanted it bad for a long time. Anyone else remember how pissed Vince was when the team drafted Ryan Shazier? He was pissed but kept a good attitude about it too, never bringing it up again. Hell, Vince played so well that he continued to start/play snaps in front of Ryan for a while even when Ryan got healthy again. He had games as a starter this season where he looked like an absolute homewrecker against the chiefs and the jets. While the offense stole the headlines in those games, Vince's obvious improvement from year to year shouldnt be overlooked. He can be a Larry Foote like player in this defense. Im gonna be rooting for this guy even if we get him replaced More then happy with VW taking over for Timmons. What we should do is use the extra money now to fill a actual need in FA. Like I said in a other post maybe to late now. Not much out there and you snooze you lose.

86WARD
03-10-2017, 07:59 PM
But they signed Brown and working on Bell...not gonna be enough to compete with what the Patriots are doing...hate to say it...

03-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Not saying we have to be the Pats and they had more cap money then us from the get go this year. We had enough though to sign a decent FA QB but again now not much there.

fansince'76
03-10-2017, 08:21 PM
But they signed Brown and working on Bell...not gonna be enough to compete with what the Patriots are doing...hate to say it...

If Bryant can stay away from the damn bong we're already automatically a TD+ per game better. And I think the defense is almost there, AFCCG notwithstanding.

86WARD
03-10-2017, 08:25 PM
If Bryant can stay away from the damn bong we're already automatically a TD+ per game better. And I think the defense is almost there, AFCCG notwithstanding.

That doesn't help the defense which now has several holes with the departure of Timmons.

fansince'76
03-10-2017, 08:30 PM
That doesn't help the defense which now has several holes with the departure of Timmons.

As far as Timmons goes, I don't think we're losing that much with Vince Williams in his stead at this point. And the loss of Tuitt hurt a lot as well. And all the young guys who made rookie mistakes will be a year older.

If we do wind up in the postseason against the Pats again, I'd also hope to hell the game plan will be better(?)

Hawkman
03-10-2017, 08:34 PM
As far as Timmons goes, I don't think we're losing that much with Vince Williams in his stead at this point. And the loss of Tuitt hurt a lot as well. And all the young guys who made rookie mistakes will be a year older.

When did we lose Tuitt?

fansince'76
03-10-2017, 08:35 PM
When did we lose Tuitt?

Sorry, meant Heyward. :doh:

Devilsdancefloor
03-10-2017, 08:46 PM
I am shocled he left, but he they left the door open for him to do so! I think vince is a real thumper , but I hope shazier handles coverage duties

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2017, 09:07 PM

If we do wind up in the postseason against the Pats again, I'd also hope to hell the game plan will be better(?)

Ben has the highest QB rating at home of anybody in the league in the past several seasons. He also has the highest difference between his home and away qb rating of any QB in the league.

I really want to know how that is. But honestly id say one of our best defenses is just winning the top seed. when this team is healthy and playing at home, sometimes i cant help but feel unstoppable

Hawkman
03-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Sorry, meant Heyward. :doh:

I know, but I couldn't resist. :chuckle: Just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.

Count Steeler
03-11-2017, 09:22 AM
C'est la vie. Have fun in Miami.

Next.

tube517
03-11-2017, 02:23 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/loss-timmons-brings-steelers-5th-round-compensatory-pick-value/

Born2Steel
03-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Sweet! two 3s, and two 5s, with the possibility of getting two 4s if Cockrell leaves. 7-8 picks in the 1st five rounds! With recent draft success, I'm liking this a lot.