PDA

View Full Version : Pats

quistors
03-09-2017, 09:00 AM
The pats just keep getting better and better with the addition of Stephon Gilmore I know the steelers are never big spenders but it's disappointing watching a superior team (one that will cause us to not make the super bowl again) get better while we sit on our hands, but I'm in not in the front office Colbert and Tonkin know better than all of us all i we can do is watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojouw
03-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Rarely does the team that wins the off-season also win the SB.

Gilmore is an interesting signing. They seemingly had an equivalent or maybe better player in Ryan. They chose Gilmore over Ryan. Wonder what that means? Maybe nothing. But it does mean that they treaded water at the DB position group. Gilmore replaces Ryan. Hard to play much better than Ryan did last season.

Now it appears the Steelers are interested in Ryan. When Bellicheck let's a guy walk away AND signs a high dollar replacement - makes me nervous.

salamander
03-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Sorry, but how many threads do we need about wanting to emulate the Cheaters?

st33lersguy
03-09-2017, 10:40 AM
Spending big in free agency is not the Steelers way. They have been one of the most successful teams while never making big splashes

Edman
03-09-2017, 11:32 AM
We aren't going to beat many teams scoring 18 and 17 points in the playoffs and 9 points in three quarters, let alone the Patriots.

Stephon Gilmore and Logan Ryan isn't going to do that.

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2017, 11:47 AM
We aren't going to beat many teams scoring 18 and 17 points in the playoffs and 9 points in three quarters, let alone the Patriots.

Stephon Gilmore and Logan Ryan isn't going to do that.

3 dropped touchdowns and no Leveon Bell will do that to ya

- - - Updated - - -

Rarely does the team that wins the off-season also win the SB.

Gilmore is an interesting signing. They seemingly had an equivalent or maybe better player in Ryan. They chose Gilmore over Ryan. Wonder what that means? Maybe nothing. But it does mean that they treaded water at the DB position group. Gilmore replaces Ryan. Hard to play much better than Ryan did last season.

Now it appears the Steelers are interested in Ryan. When Bellicheck let's a guy walk away AND signs a high dollar replacement - makes me nervous.

Well the patriots also have like $60 million + in cap space so if you can replace a good corner with an All-Pro, its not like you're giving up much

- - - Updated - - -

about a hundred until we figure out how to actually beat them

Mojouw
03-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Point is the Pats have so far swapped equivalent players. While it can be argued that Gilmore and Allen are better than Ryan and Bennett - I don't think it is a massive upgrade. Might be just maintaiming status quo

86WARD
03-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Point is the Pats have so far swapped equivalent players. While it can be argued that Gilmore and Allen are better than Ryan and Bennett - I don't think it is a massive upgrade. Might be just maintaiming status quo

Bennett, IMO, is way better than Allen and Gilmore is slightly better than Ryan. Allen is way over rated and injury prone.

Mojouw
03-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Bennett, IMO, is way better than Allen and Gilmore is slightly better than Ryan. Allen is way over rated and injury prone.

I would agree with that. I think all the hand wringing and pearl clutching about NE is a bit overblown right now.

They add Brandon Cooks to that offense though...then I'll sit up and take notice

fansince'76
03-09-2017, 01:46 PM

As many as possible, CUZ DERE DA BESSED EVUUURRR!!! :jerkit:

AtlantaDan
03-09-2017, 01:57 PM

If posters want to vent about the Pats go for it - but it should go in the NFL section and not here

st33lersguy
03-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Team chemistry is important too. Steelers have been one of the most successful teams in the NFL without throwing a bunch of money at other teams players. Their success has been building through the draft, re-signing their own players, and supplementing that with a few lower profile cheaper free agents sprinkled here and there. Throwing a lot of money towards a bunch of other teams' high profile players has had a low success rate in the NFL. The Redskins did this for a long time and it got them nowhere. Jaguars have been doing this for the past few years and it hasn't helped them rise out of the NFL basement. The Steelers are fine

Moose
03-09-2017, 05:42 PM

I agree, and as much as I hate that team/players/coach, etc., gotta admit they just about OUT COACH and out play every team they play....including us !

GBMelBlount
03-09-2017, 07:55 PM
I want us to win the Superbowl next year and the Patriots are arguably the biggest obstacle.

So while I most enjoy reading Steelers news, beyond that, I cannot think of anything that is more interesting to me than discussing / analyzing the Pats.

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2017, 07:58 PM
The Patriots are also the one team that we always have a problem beating.

fansince'76
03-09-2017, 08:28 PM
I agree, and as much as I hate that team/players/coach, etc., gotta admit they just about OUT COACH and out play every team they play....including us !

Which pisses me off even more - I'm tired of watching my team get their asses kicked by those douchebags. I really wish we could find a '70s Steelers-style pass rush against them, because that's the ONLY way to beat Brady. Hell, he never even gets his damn jersey dirty against us.

GBMelBlount
03-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Which pisses me off even more - I'm tired of watching my team get their asses kicked by those douchebags. I really wish we could find a '70s Steelers-style pass rush against them, because that's the ONLY way to beat Brady. Hell, he never even gets his damn jersey dirty against us.

Agreed.

Or score 35 points.

WCSteeler
03-09-2017, 11:24 PM
I dislike the Pats but honestly they do what's needed to stay competitive, the Steelers for the most part have been competitive as well since 2004 but the differance seems to be consistency. The Steelers are very inconsistent, they are often outcoached, Ben has been bad on the road, the team lacks a pass rush as often as they are stout and the secondary is as soft as melted butter but all of this on occasion. The Steelers have a great team but struggle to put it all together and do it on a week to week basis and they really prevents theme from going all the way.

Butch
03-10-2017, 06:23 AM
The biggest reason for the damn cheats success is the cheating and favoritism they receive from the league. That being said it is not entirely the reason we lost to them last year in the playoffs. We lost because our coaches played right into their strengths. Dropping your best pass rushers into coverage many times during the game. The very 1st defensive play James dropped into coverage and we rushed 3 linemen. It was a complete JOKE and I knew we were not there to win that game. If you want to beat this team do what you did to beat other teams (while this may not work it's the best path to success), play aggressive and don't buy into the hype.

BlackAndGold
03-10-2017, 09:37 AM
Pats have money because their QB takes a paycut(because his wife makes millions also). They have/had a lot of cap space

Pittsburgh just re-signed their star WR to an extension, and franchised tagged their star RB. That's a good free agency.

86WARD
03-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Kony Ealy and Brandin Cooks? Jeez...ridiculous.

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2017, 08:07 PM
I remember the patriots were reported earlier trying to straight up trade Malcolm Butler for Brandin Cooks...and now the patriots still have Malcolm Butler. Not to mention they'll probably end up getting a 1st rounder and another early round pick AT LEAST from the browns by unloading Jimmy Garoppolo.

Rowe quietly played well for them after they traded for him. Malcolm Butler, Stephon Gillmore, Eric Rowe, Devin McCourty...thats the type of secondary that can neutralize damn near anyone including us. We need to make moves

Shoes
03-10-2017, 08:29 PM
I remember the patriots were reported earlier trying to straight up trade Malcolm Butler for Brandin Cooks...and now the patriots still have Malcolm Butler. Not to mention they'll probably end up getting a 1st rounder and another early round pick AT LEAST from the browns by unloading Jimmy Garoppolo.

Rowe quietly played well for them after they traded for him. Malcolm Butler, Stephon Gillmore, Eric Rowe, Devin McCourty...thats the type of secondary that can neutralize damn near anyone including us. We need to make moves

Belichick can fall in a pile of shit and come out smelling like a rose, unfortunately there isn't any luck involved.

Terrapinstation
03-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Can someone call Colbert and Tomlin and let them know that free agency has started? I know Landry Jones is a HUGE signing, but maybe they should consider trying to improve their team.

Hawkman
03-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Can someone call Colbert and Tomlin and let them know that free agency has started? I know Landry Jones is a HUGE signing, but maybe they should consider trying to improve their team.

Who would you like them to get and how much would you like them to pay??? I mean really, they have already made the biggest FA move that they are going to by tagging Bell. And you know for sure that they aren't working on some things....that hopefully won't break the bank?

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Who would you like them to get and how much would you like them to pay??? I mean really, they have already made the biggest FA move that they are going to by tagging Bell. And you know for sure that they aren't working on some things....that hopefully won't break the bank?

i feel ok about Vince Williams taking over for Timmons, but getting Zach Brown would be a huge upgrade. His market value is around $4.5 million a season. Thats a mega bargain for a 2nd team All-Pro. Basically we'd be getting a young, quality ILB who's good at everything.

Marcus Cooper is another. Good big, young cornerback who is scheme versatile. Can play inside and outside. Pro bowl alternate. We've chased after 2 cornerbacks worth $10 million a season. Essentially it looks like were willing to spend a nose under that and Cooper looks like he can be had for just that.

Connor Barwin has had a really productive career as an OLB. Only reason he had a down year is because he was moved to DE, and the eagles run a wide 9 scheme so he was playing completely out of position. Sounds like he's a real team player, he offered to take a pay cut to stay in Philly and he didnt bitch about his position switch. He's had a healthy career, last time he missed any games was 7 seasons ago. He is 30, but he's healthy and hasnt been slowing down so why not give him a go for 2-3 seasons? His down year due to position switch should bring his pricetag down. Having an OLB platoon of James Harrison, Bud Dupree, Connor Barwin, a rookie, and Anthony Chickillo will be awesome! Plus it will allow us to cut Arthur Moats and save close to $3 million against the cap (Vince Williams, Ryan Shazier, Stevenson Johnson, and Tyler Matakevich will be plenty of depth inside).

We lost out on basically every healthy, young slot corner left. Id say its Marcus Cooper or bust there

st33lersguy
03-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Pay no mind to Terrapinstation. He's not here to offer any ideas or solutions. He's just here to bitch and complain, then disappear when he has nothing to complain about

fansince'76
03-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Pay no mind to Terrapinstation. He's not here to offer any ideas or solutions. He's just here to bitch and complain, then disappear when he has nothing to complain about

Bingo...

teegre
03-10-2017, 11:52 PM

I called.

They knew.

Which is why they extended the best WR in the NFL weeks ago.

:jerkit:

AtlantaDan
03-11-2017, 12:07 AM

The free agent signing is Bryant staying clean for the 2017 season

The years the Pats were most vulnerable were 2015 and 2016 - sucks that now we have to hope Brady falls off the performance cliff like Peyton did as age gets him, but that is the breaks

Too bad to be playing in another team's era of dominance, but shit happens - ask the 70s Raiders and Oilers about how that works

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-11-2017, 12:42 AM
The free agent signing is Bryant staying clean for the 2017 season

The years the Pats were most vulnerable were 2015 and 2016 - sucks that now we have to hope Brady falls off the performance cliff like Peyton did as age gets him, but that is the breaks

Too bad to be playing in another team's era of dominance, but shit happens - ask the 70s Raiders and Oilers about how that works That seems to be about it and think the Steelers are banking the season on does he stay clean and healthy all season! Ps.only so much you can do in the draft. I hope Pitt does realize FA is legal and a part of the rules someday a long with trades!

Terrapinstation
03-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Sorry, giving AB a new contract did nothing to improve the team this year. He was going to be here anyway.

NE, the superbowl champs that embarrassed us, just added a major impact player on offense, and a major impact player on defense. In prior years it was understandable why we weren't big players in the FA market (always up against the cap). This year we have cap space, even after taking care of guys we should (Tuitt, Shazier, etc).

But I guess it's an illegimate complaint to want them to add someone. My bad. lol

86WARD
03-11-2017, 08:21 AM
What makes you think that they are willing to pay a "nose under" under $10M? Seems more like a couple few/feet under $10M...

teegre
03-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Sorry, giving AB a new contract did nothing to improve the team this year. He was going to be here anyway.

NE, the superbowl champs that embarrassed us, just added a major impact player on offense, and a major impact player on defense. In prior years it was understandable why we weren't big players in the FA market (always up against the cap). This year we have cap space, even after taking care of guys we should (Tuitt, Shazier, etc).

But I guess it's an illegimate complaint to want them to add someone. My bad. lol

Colbert & Tomlin's plan:
Re-sign AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, Shazier...

Terrapinstation' plan:
Let AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, and Shazier go, and replace them with free agents: Brandon Marshall, Jamal Charles, Matt Kalil...

Born2Steel
03-11-2017, 08:37 AM
The Pats are not THAT much better. IF, IF Bell had been able to play, AND Rogers, Hamilton, and Ayers could have caught the ball, we would have kept pace with them BETTER. Not saying we would have won, but our chance to win would have increased. They are a very good football team and not taking anything away from what they were able to do against us. We were not healthy for either game we played against them last season. And that's all you can really look at. Going back years is pointless. We were 'blitzburgh' when THEY built to beat us. Now we do the same. It's not like they are unbeatable and can't be caught. And eventually beaten.

AtlantaDan
03-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Colbert & Tomlin's plan:

Terrapinstation' plan:
Let AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, and Shazier go, and replace them with free agents: Brandon Marshall, Jamal Charles, Matt Kalil...

You forgot to add that signing Glennon for $15 million to replace Landry Jones is another missed opportunity to be proactive through free agency

Born2Steel
03-11-2017, 08:46 AM

I see what your point is. I just disagree with it. You cannot just bring in players, like in basketball, and it works because they are good. When the Steelers were 'Blitzburg', the rest of the NFL had to adjust. That's all this is with the Pats now. They have a system that works, because it does change, that the rest of the NFL are trying to adjust with. It's not time to blow it up and add FAs just to sign FAs. Are there FAs i would like to try out here, sure. Make sure our core players are here first. Now we can see what FAs can work within our system. We won't know if the Pats upgraded or not until next season. Sometimes LeGarrett Blount happens. Remember 'LeBackfield'?

BurghBoy412
03-11-2017, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=quistors;584053]The pats just keep getting better and better with the addition of Stephon Gilmore I know the steelers are never big spenders but it's disappointing watching a superior team (one that will cause us to not make the super bowl again) get better while we sit on our hands, but I'm in not in the front office Colbert and Tonkin know better than all of us all i we can do is watch.

Being from Pittsburgh and growing up a Steeler fan you learn a few things.

1. Its rare for the Steelers to make a splash in Free Agency.
2. This Franchise is built through the draft not through Free Agency.

In a lot of ways it's like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. We think we know whats going on inside. We have lots of ideas. Yet none of us have a golden ticket. The gates stay locked and we're stuck on the outside speculating. Then all the sudden they astonish the public with the release of a new product. (player you know very little about who can flat out play) Which brings me to my third and probably most important thing you learn growing up in Pittsburgh.

3. THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS ARE ONE OF THE BEST RUN ORGANIZATIONS IN ALL OFF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS!!! They may make a mistake here and there. However the track record speaks for itself. The right move is made the majority of the time.

Terrapinstation
03-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Colbert & Tomlin's plan:

Terrapinstation' plan:

Terrapins plan:
Sign our important players. Bring in an impact LB, CB, or WR to improve the weaknesses of our team.

Tegrees plan:
Sign our important players. Roll with Vince Williams and Willie Gay. Pray Bryant stays clean and Golson makes his way onto the field.

teegre
03-11-2017, 09:26 AM
Terrapins plan:
Sign our important players. Bring in an impact LB, CB, or WR to improve the weaknesses of our team.

Tegrees plan:
Sign our important players. Roll with Vince Williams and Willie Gay. Pray Bryant stays clean and Golson makes his way onto the field.

Actually, yes.

Add to that:
Draft an OLB, an ILB, a CB, and a WR... who will develop nicely, and get re-signed in four years.

Terrapinstation
03-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Actually, yes.

Add to that:
Draft an OLB, an ILB, a CB, and a WR... who will develop nicely, and get re-signed in four years.

Good plan. I'm sure they'll hit on all the picks, and they'll become solid contributors in a year or two (just in time for Ben to retire)

st33lersguy
03-11-2017, 10:05 AM
The Steelers can improve in 2017 just any of the following happening
-Martavis Bryant plays a full year
-Cam Heyward who missed the majority of last year plays a full year
-Bud Dupree who missed 10 games plays a full year and continues to improve
-Artie Burns, Sean Davis, OR Javon Hargrave, a year older and with a year of experience under their belt improve

Now there's no guarantee this stuff happens and we could easily lose another important player for a period of time too, but guess what, there is no guarantee that the free agent the Steelers sign will be worth anything either. Draft, free agency, young player improvements, none of it's guaranteed, except free agency is more expensive

Mojouw
03-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Terrapins plan:

Tegrees plan:

One plan is actually based on financial reality. Another plan is based on Madden Franchise mode fantasies.

Who do you cut to get the 10 million per year for the next five years that these first tier FA's have ALL signed for? Seriously tell me who from this list you would "trade" on the salary cap for Dre Kirkpatrick?

AV
Another member of the starting OL
Tuitt
Shazier
Heyward
Bell

Until you can answer that question you are demonstrating that you do not know that the Steelers really don't have more than 5-8 million in cap room.

As for the Pats. Allen and Bennett cancel each other out. Gilmore is an upgrade over Ryan on the boundary and they get a serious downgrade at the slot CB position. So slight advantage?

Kony Ealy (sp?) had one good game in the SB and then has proceeded to not deliver on his promise. He can join a long list of Pats acquisitions who fit that profile. Lots of potential but no performance to date. I think about 50% of the time they get something out of the player and 50% of the time they don't. Remember how Easley (the DT) was going to be a "steal" and super good? That didn't happen. Don't just listen to the Twitter "hot takes". Think about it for yourself.

Cooks is the the first actual upgrade to the roster. The only reason they basically had to make that trade is that they can not evaluate and draft WRs. Almost every WR they draft stinks and gets cut. So they paid a 1st round pick to get a guy that the Steelers would just identify and draft in the 3rd. Again, why am I concerned?

Mojouw
03-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Good plan. I'm sure they'll hit on all the picks, and they'll become solid contributors in a year or two (just in time for Ben to retire)
Again, your plan - lets call it the sign everyone plan - makese ZERO provision about how to actually pay all those folks.

Remember - I think the Steelers started with some salary cap #'s being reported at between 20-31 million. That number is basically pure BS. Read this article: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/steelers-2017-salary-cap-projected-space-start-free-agency/

The real # is about 12 million. That is it. That 12 million needs to sign FAs, extend AV, extend Tuitt, and extend Shazier.

So maybe paying highly inflated Week 1 free agency #'s isn't the best idea? But I'm guessing you and others making the same argument read no information on your own and just decided you had to come on the internet and "have a take".

Good Job.

BurghBoy412
03-11-2017, 10:35 AM
The Steelers can improve in 2017 just any of the following happening
-Martavis Bryant plays a full year
-Cam Heyward who missed the majority of last year plays a full year
-Bud Dupree who missed 10 games plays a full year and continues to improve
-Artie Burns, Sean Davis, OR Javon Hargrave, a year older and with a year of experience under their belt improve

Now there's no guarantee this stuff happens and we could easily lose another important player for a period of time too, but guess what, there is no guarantee that the free agent the Steelers sign will be worth anything either. Draft, free agency, young player improvements, none of it's guaranteed, except free agency is more expensive

Don't forget about Brown and Bell being on the field when it matters...

teegre
03-11-2017, 11:54 AM
they can not evaluate and draft WRs.

You're nailing it today. I've been saying the exact same thing: that is Belichick's weakness. He's a genius at almost everything except for the draft, specifically WRs. He procures a bazillion draft picks... and only 1 in 10 amounts to much.

Conversely, Belichick is excellent at evaluating free agents. Were I him, every off season, I'd trade my R1 pick for the top "third-year" player (who I'd then re-sign).

Mojouw
03-11-2017, 12:21 PM
You're nailing it today. I've been saying the exact same thing: that is Belichick's weakness. He's a genius at almost everything except for the draft, specifically WRs. He procures a bazillion draft picks... and only 1 in 10 amounts to much.

Conversely, Belichick is excellent at evaluating free agents. Were I him, every off season, I'd trade my R1 pick for the top "third-year" player (who I'd then re-sign).

No doubt. Actually the Patriots draft record overall really isn't that impressive - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm. That gets a Mr. Yuck sticker every time.

Like you said, if they weren't so good at veteran free agents, this would bit them in the ass more than it does.