PDA

View Full Version : ***The OFFICIAL Draft TJ Watt thread***

DesertSteel
03-08-2017, 12:45 PM
They need someone with a MOTOR (check), ATHLETICISM (check), SWAGGER (check) and UPSIDE (check). I have a strong feeling that Watt is gonna be a beast. I hope they take him at 30.

6'4" 252#
11" hands
4.69 40
37" vertical

PRODUCTION in a short window with room to improve.

I put this thread here either as a "I called it" (if the Steelers take him) or an "I told you so" (if he becomes a star for someone else).

I get tired of this 1st round grade, 2nd round grade crap based on some analyst or draft magazine from Walmart. Either he's gonna be a star or he is not. I think he has the X factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uEp6aW5bH4

DesertSteel
03-08-2017, 12:54 PM
NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock said Watt possesses the traits coveted by teams with 3-4 defenses such as the Steelers. Mayock, though, initially was skeptical. That was before he popped in Watt's game tape.

“His tape is really good,” Mayock said. “When you put the tape in, you're like, ‘C'mon, (he's J.J.'s) little brother. He can't be that good.'

“Then he starts lining up and running around, and he's got the same effort his older brother has, and he's a freakier athlete than I expected. I think the 3-4 teams are really going to like him. Athletically, he can drop, he's a better pass-rusher than I thought, and he's relentless in the run game.”

86WARD
03-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Clay Matthews syndrome?

Psycho Ward 86
03-08-2017, 12:55 PM
He's going to be a really good one. He's definitely one of the safest edge rusher picks for us out of any of the early round guys. The one year as a starter doesnt worry me. He plays with great polish already. Plug and play.

In b4 another idiot claims JJ Watt makes his existence overrated

st33lersguy
03-08-2017, 12:59 PM
A great option at 30. I'd be on board with it

polamalubeast
03-08-2017, 01:10 PM
I would not be surprised if a team in the top 15 takes Watt...

Born2Steel
03-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Yes. Watt is on the list of 'possibles' at 30. Along with about 30 others, if there. We need an edge rusher and Watt would be a great one. I think we could all get excited about that.

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 02:32 PM
TJ's pro day was today. Looking forward to reports coming out of the session.

pczach
03-15-2017, 02:35 PM
It would be hard to be upset with drafting Watt at #30.

The guy is just a great football player. There's nothing not to like about his game and his effort.

He has a very high floor and a high ceiling. Not much risk in that pick.

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 02:37 PM
It would be hard to be upset with drafting Watt at #30.

The guy is just a great football player. There's nothing not to like about his game and his effort.

He has a very high floor and a high ceiling. Not much risk in that pick.

I'm in 100% agreement with you. I think before it's all over, he will be gone by #30 though. There's just too much to like about his game.

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2017, 02:44 PM
I don't know that I'm totally sold on him. One year of production. Injuries to both knees. Not a great athlete. Being compared to Paul Kruger.

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 03:41 PM
I dont like that he's picking up so much steam. I want him to at least be there at #30 for us to think about. Id hate for us to take some flawed edge rusher with a really incomplete game like Takk

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 04:08 PM
about 50 other guys would have to be off the board before I would be ready to pick him , sure he has talent I wont claim he doesn't , but he would be IMO no place near BPA at 30 and we have more than 1 need so finding a better player at a pos of need shouldnt be to terribly difficult at 30 .... in round 2 sure if he is there and McKinley isnt already a Steeler ...

my wishlist is short

1) EDGE Takkarist McKinley
2) CB Cordrea Tankersley
3) S Justin Evans
3) CB Howard Wilson
4) RB Jeremy McNichols / Wayne Gallman
5) EDGE Calvin Munson
6) LB Steven Taylor
7) TE Michael Roberts

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 04:16 PM
about 50 other guys would have to be off the board before I would be ready to pick him I'm glad you aren't the GM.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont like that he's picking up so much steam. I want him to at least be there at #30 for us to think about. Id hate for us to take some flawed edge rusher with a really incomplete game like Takk
Exactly!

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm glad you aren't the GM.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly!

quite frankly I am glad you aren't either

Shoes
03-15-2017, 05:01 PM
I'd take him R1, no question about it.

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 05:30 PM
quite frankly I am glad you aren't either
Well if I was we would've taken Tyler Eifert instead of Jarvis 4.9 Jones! And this thread will prove my evaluation skills one way or the other within a couple years.

Born2Steel
03-15-2017, 05:36 PM
about 50 other guys would have to be off the board before I would be ready to pick him , sure he has talent I wont claim he doesn't , but he would be IMO no place near BPA at 30 and we have more than 1 need so finding a better player at a pos of need shouldnt be to terribly difficult at 30 .... in round 2 sure if he is there and McKinley isnt already a Steeler ...

my wishlist is short

2) CB Cordrea Tankersley
3) S Justin Evans
3) CB Howard Wilson
5) EDGE Calvin Munson
6) LB Steven Taylor
7) TE Michael Roberts

No.No.No......this is the official draft TJ Watt thread, the don't draft TJ Watt thread was closed due to lack of interest.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 06:03 PM
Well if I was we would've taken Tyler Eifert instead of Jarvis 4.9 Jones! And this thread will prove my evaluation skills one way or the other within a couple years.

I have time ....

again not saying the guy does not have talent he just is not a top 30 talent in this draft IMO and quite frankly my opinion is the only one that truly matters to me :) ( I am sure you feel quite differently and that is fine )

hindsight its easy to say your would have taken this guy or that guy but as nice is it would be to have Eifert now at the time it would have been a shitty pick too ... we NEEDED a pass rusher and we had #83 that being said people would have considered Eifert a Luxury pick and quite frankly we where in no position for a 1st round luxury selection ... so Unless Eifert could rush the QB better than Jones he wouldn't have fared to well here either sitting on the bench behind Heath Miller 70% or more of the snaps

My eval skills are just fine and have been for many years ...I will wait and see how yours are

BlackAndGold
03-15-2017, 06:11 PM

my wishlist is short

Takk is in the Bud Dupree mold, very raw.

Has a non stop motor, but has dealt with a shoulder injury for 2 years, I'd love to see how he would play with it being healed (has had surgery, but is expected to be back for mini camp)

The team will have all the info they need with that guy. Tom Bradley, UCLA's defensive coordinator has ties with the Steelers. From PA, was a long time assistant for Penn State, did some radio work covering the Steelers. His brother Jim, is the Steelers long time team surgeon. If he there at #30, I believe he is the guy.

ALLD
03-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Some team will pick him on name recognition alone to sell tickets.

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 06:57 PM
I have time ....

again not saying the guy does not have talent he just is not a top 30 talent in this draft IMO and quite frankly my opinion is the only one that truly matters to me :) ( I am sure you feel quite differently and that is fine )

hindsight its easy to say your would have taken this guy or that guy but as nice is it would be to have Eifert now at the time it would have been a shitty pick too ... we NEEDED a pass rusher and we had #83 that being said people would have considered Eifert a Luxury pick and quite frankly we where in no position for a 1st round luxury selection ... so Unless Eifert could rush the QB better than Jones he wouldn't have fared to well here either sitting on the bench behind Heath Miller 70% or more of the snaps

My eval skills are just fine and have been for many years ...I will wait and see how yours are
Well my comment isn't hindsight. I posted as much on Steelersfever both before and immediately after that draft.

Eifert may have been a luxury but Jones sure wasn't lol. Anyway Heath was practically done by then and most of us knew it.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Anyway Heath was practically done by then and most of us knew it.

I call BS , most including the organization did not expect his retirement when it came , most though he would play another year or 2 putting him 5 years down the road from Eiferts draft year ...

on top of all that 2012 Miller had his best statistical year as a pro so believing he was pretty much done at that point would have taken a crystal ball ( considering Eiferts draft year was 2013 just a few months after Millers best statistical year ended ) http://www.nfl.com/player/heathmiller/2506369/careerstats

Mojouw
03-15-2017, 08:12 PM
The most exciting thing about Watt is that he has hardly scratched the surface of his potential. His hand usage and pass rush skill set is good, but he has basically played ONE year EVER at the position. Like his brother, he came up as a TE.

Imagine what he can do with more reps and NFL coaching?

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 08:30 PM
I call BS , most including the organization did not expect his retirement when it came , most though he would play another year or 2 putting him 5 years down the road from Eiferts draft year ...

on top of all that 2012 Miller had his best statistical year as a pro so believing he was pretty much done at that point would have taken a crystal ball ( considering Eiferts draft year was 2013 just a few months after Millers best statistical year ended ) http://www.nfl.com/player/heathmiller/2506369/careerstats
You seriously couldn't tell that Heath was slowing down by 2013??? Did you expect him to play till he was 40?

Regardless of Heath, Eifert would have been a much better pick than Jones. Or do you disagree with that too. And in case you're not paying attention, teams use 2 TEs, especially when one can stretch the field like Eifert.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 08:41 PM
You seriously couldn't tell that Heath was slowing down by 2013??? Did you expect him to play till he was 40?

Regardless of Heath, Eifert would have been a much better pick than Jones. Or do you disagree with that too. And in case you're not paying attention, teams use 2 TEs, especially when one can stretch the field like Eifert.

again Eifert would have been a luxury pick when we needed a pass rusher ... we took our best shot with Jones it failed but Eifert was not the answer either and FYI noticing in 2013 a slower heath would have been AFTER the fact as the draft of 2013 came before the 2013 season ...

yep teams use 2 TEs have been for years .... however when the Steelers do 1 is always an almost pure blocker ( such as Spaeth / Johnson ) and offer little to nothing in the passing game ... again nobody without a crystal ball would have foreseen Miller slowing down after the season he had in 2012 ..

not going to argue this with you and betting if the Steelers had it to do over they wouldnt have taken Jones but they sure as hell would not have taken Eifert to sit the bench for 3 years either

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Good. We ageee to disagree. We shall see RE Watt vs your guy Takk. Then we'll have something to argue about :)

And btw, I didn't need a crystal ball to see that Jones was a sack of crap.

Shoes
03-15-2017, 09:25 PM
The most exciting thing about Watt is that he has hardly scratched the surface of his potential. His hand usage and pass rush skill set is good, but he has basically played ONE year EVER at the position. Like his brother, he came up as a TE.

Imagine what he can do with more reps and NFL coaching?

Agreed!

Mojouw
03-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Agreed!

Looking at the Watt highlight videos again - two things strike me:

1. Watt never stays "engaged" by the OL. What I mean (and I don't know the term for it) is that the OL will get his hands on Watt and then he just doesn't have his hands on him anymore. Watt is constantly moving not being moved. That part of his play does remind me of his older brother.

2. Watch how often #47 shows up at the ball or QB a beat after #42. 47 is Vince Biegel. Not NFL ready body and lacks Watt's raw athleticism but he seems to consistently find his way into the backfield. IF the Steelers want to double dip at LB might be a later round player to consider.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 09:45 PM

1. Watt never stays "engaged" by the OL. What I mean (and I don't know the term for it) is that the OL will get his hands on Watt and then he just doesn't have his hands on him anymore. Watt is constantly moving not being moved. That part of his play does remind me of his older brother.

2. Watch how often #47 shows up at the ball or QB a beat after #42. 47 is Vince Biegel. Not NFL ready body and lacks Watt's raw athleticism but he seems to consistently find his way into the backfield. IF the Steelers want to double dip at LB might be a later round player to consider.

shed is the word I believe you where looking for

Shoes
03-15-2017, 09:49 PM

Bingo, well said on both points! I think Watts energy would be contagious, like Lambert was. The defense needs good players, but it also needs a high energy level. Sometimes it only takes one guy to start it.

The guy is a natural imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BIRXTXxpYI

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 09:51 PM

I believe that Tomlin and Colbert had dinner with BOTH of them tonight.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 09:53 PM
doesn't the term " multiple knee injuries / surgeries " concern anyone ? ( both knees by the way )

Mojouw
03-15-2017, 09:53 PM

Great! The Badger homer is coming out in me, but I can honestly see legitimate reasons for the Steelers to have interest in Watt, Biegel, Cichy, Shelton, and Clement from UW. By no means do I think they need to draft that many UW kids (the team certainly isn't that good) but one or two of them could really be decent fits.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 09:54 PM

I read that as well

Shoes
03-15-2017, 09:54 PM
doesn't the term " multiple knee injuries / surgeries " concern anyone ? ( both knees by the way )

Not really, remember J Jones back. I'm sure the Doc's will check him out.

Mojouw
03-15-2017, 10:01 PM

Not really. Once he came back from them, he really never broke down again. It is 2017, they can basically totally reconstruct a knee and make it better than before.

Obviously, they have to do their due diligence with the medicals, but everything out of Madison the last 18 months has led me to believe that TJ is as healthy as any other prospect. UW does a pretty decent job of not burning their guys up. Usually very protective of injured players and allow the rehab process to play out fully. Not like those 'Bama kids that come into the league all used up.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2017profiles/TJ.Watt.htm

That profile has pretty much summed it up for me regarding Watt since the middle of the last college football season.

Watt is never going to measure as well as the others. He isn't going to make the other team wet themselves getting off the bus all rocked up. But then the whistle is going to blow, and everyone is going to wonder how that dude can't be blocked.

Of course, he is going to rocked in coverages and misdirections/screens at the NFL level at first due to his low level of experience at the position, but that'll sort itself out.

teegre
03-15-2017, 10:20 PM

Ten years ago: yes

With modern medicine: no

Seriously. Repairing a knee injury nowadays is about as routine as getting a filling. :lol:

Psycho Ward 86
03-15-2017, 10:53 PM

Takkarist probably has the highest bust potential by far of the edge rushers with a consensus 1st round/borderline 1st round grade. I have no idea how you put him on your short wishlist, while simultaneously being very skeptical of TJ Watt. TJ Watt's floor is so much higher than Takk's and as Mojouw was saying, his ceiling is still extremely high.

Most players with a high ceiling are great athletes with very little polish. TJ Watt is a rarity in that regard because he's already a great athlete, both on film and in his combine testing (Among all linebackers he was 1st in the 20 yard shuttle, 1st in the 60 yard shuttle, 2nd in the vertical jump, 2nd in the broad jump, 2nd in the 3 cone drill, and still put out pretty good bench/40 yard dash numbers), and plays with great all-around technique.

Great size and length,

Basically if the best knock scouts can come up with is injuries from 2-3 years ago, im ok with that. The film and testing numbers show no ill effects. He had questions about athleticism that he effectively smothered a few weeks ago. Arguably has the best hand fighting skills (he doesnt get run up the arc like Dupree does because of this) and motor of any edge rusher in the draft. A lot more cerebral than a lot of the guys teams will be grading higher. His stack and shed ability is also better than almost anyone in the draft (Maybe this is the phrase you're looking for Mojouw?) Never misses tackles, constantly peeking into the backfield to locate the ball carrier, looks natural shuffling laterally/clicking and closing in pass coverage. He's good on special teams, has experience rushing from the interior, and he can rush well from both sides so his path to playing time is excellent. Another one of his most underrated skills that the really good ones in the NFL get good at: he transitions seamlessly between rushing the passer to disengaging to chase the dump off/set the edge.

Saw some scouting reports that suggested he needs more pass rush moves but on film you can see that he already has 2 that he uses perfectly, the rip and dip and swim. He uses them effectively as counters as well, which is again, impressive for a guy with his limited experience. His bull rush is pretty decent, and he's only going to get better at it with his football IQ. 1 decent pass rush move, and 2 really good ones is plenty to go on in the NFL

DesertSteel
03-15-2017, 10:54 PM
No more than the shoulder surgery on Takk. Other than Takk's is a CURRENT injury issue and Watt passed all his physicals.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Takkarist probably has the highest bust potential by far of the edge rushers with a consensus 1st round/borderline 1st round grade. I have no idea how you put him on your short wishlist, while simultaneously being very skeptical of TJ Watt. TJ Watt's floor is so much higher than Takk's and as Mojouw was saying, his ceiling is still extremely high.

Most players with a high ceiling are great athletes with very little polish. TJ Watt is a rarity in that regard because he's already a great athlete, both on film and in his combine testing (Among all linebackers he was 1st in the 20 yard shuttle, 1st in the 60 yard shuttle, 2nd in the vertical jump, 2nd in the broad jump, 2nd in the 3 cone drill, and still put out pretty good bench/40 yard dash numbers), and plays with great all-around technique.

Great size and length,

Basically if the best knock scouts can come up with is injuries from 2-3 years ago, im ok with that. The film and testing numbers show no ill effects. He had questions about athleticism that he effectively smothered a few weeks ago. Arguably has the best hand fighting skills (he doesnt get run up the arc like Dupree does because of this) and motor of any edge rusher in the draft. A lot more cerebral than a lot of the guys teams will be grading higher. His stack and shed ability is also better than almost anyone in the draft (Maybe this is the phrase you're looking for Mojouw?) Never misses tackles, constantly peeking into the backfield to locate the ball carrier, looks natural shuffling laterally/clicking and closing in pass coverage. He's good on special teams, has experience rushing from the interior, and he can rush well from both sides so his path to playing time is excellent. Another one of his most underrated skills that the really good ones in the NFL get good at: he transitions seamlessly between rushing the passer to disengaging to chase the dump off/set the edge.

Saw some scouting reports that suggested he needs more pass rush moves but on film you can see that he already has 2 that he uses perfectly, the rip and dip and swim. He uses them effectively as counters as well, which is again, impressive for a guy with his limited experience. His bull rush is pretty decent, and he's only going to get better at it with his football IQ. 1 decent pass rush move, and 2 really good ones is plenty to go on in the NFL

funny how differently you see Takk than I do or these guys do for that matter ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2160964/takkarist-mckinley

(http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2160964/takkarist-mckinley)

- - - Updated - - -

funny how differently you see Takk than I do or these guys do for that matter ...

not sure why I could not place 2 links above but anywho .....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/takkarist-mckinley?id=2557872

Psycho Ward 86
03-16-2017, 12:12 AM

- - - Updated - - -

not sure why I could not place 2 links above but anywho .....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/takkarist-mckinley?id=2557872

^Those scouting reports reiterate reasons why he has some of the highest bust potential of the top edge rushing prospects. That doesnt mean his ceiling isnt high. Tim Williams' ceiling is high. Taco Charlton's ceiling is high. Theyre still risky prospects. Even if you took Williams' off field issues out of the equation

pczach
03-16-2017, 04:55 AM
Great! The Badger homer is coming out in me, but I can honestly see legitimate reasons for the Steelers to have interest in Watt, Biegel, Cichy, Shelton, and Clement from UW. By no means do I think they need to draft that many UW kids (the team certainly isn't that good) but one or two of them could really be decent fits.

Anybody that watched that defense play this year would completely understand the interest in all the players you mention.

I saw them play a bunch of times, and they play relentless defense. The only time I saw them be broken down was against my Nittany Lions.

Individually, they all have a toughness and play a very instinctive game. Collectively, they showed what a defense can be when there are plenty of guys that collectively buy into a system, they are well coached, and they have the attitude and football acumen to play fast and ferocious.

They were fun to watch.

Clement plays a tough game. His speed might hurt him a bit in the draft, and his fumbling issues aren't going to help either. Maybe it's something mechanical that can be cleaned up at the next level. I haven't really studied him to see if that's the problem.

Mojouw
03-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Articles this morning are saying that the Steelers like Watt, but not in the 1st round and view him as more of a second round prospect but don't think he will be there when they pick in the 2nd.

1. That might just all be smokescreen BS and doesn't matter.
2. Assume it does for a second. These kind of statements by teams, GMs, talking heads, and fans drive me batty. Don't overthink the draft process. Do you need a pass rusher? Does the player fit your system? Is the player your highest rated prospect at the position still available? Will he be drafted before you pick again? If the answer to all those questions is "Yes" then just draft the dude and move on.

I don't know why NFL teams insist on slavishly sticking to these draft round grades like they are the revealed word of truth. Maybe internal NFL scouting reports are better than the write ups we can see on the internet, but they are all goofy anyways. Something like 2-3 times the guys that can go in a given round get that round grade.

If the Steelers go pass rusher in the first round, I think their available choices will be McKinnley, Watt, and Lawson. Me, I go Watt about 18 seconds into my pick time and sleep very well at night.

Shoes
03-16-2017, 11:15 AM
If the Steelers pass on Watt in R1 they will regret it imo.

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Takk lives in the oppositions backfield disrupting , his edge speed and first step is unequaled , almost all his question marks you see in profiles are based on him playing end not OLB in a 3-4 ...

watch him match up vs the projected 1st over all pick here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQjsjPdzQi8

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Takk is a good edge rush prospect also. This is the TJ Watt thread. In fact, it's the "OFFICIAL" TJ Watt thread. Start the Takk McKinley thread.

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Takk is a good edge rush prospect also. This is the TJ Watt thread. In fact, it's the "OFFICIAL" TJ Watt thread. Start the Takk McKinley thread.

technically if it is to be about just 1 player and since that player is not a Steeler player it should be in a subforum then such as the draft forum .

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
technically if it is to be about just 1 player and since that player is not a Steeler player it should be in a subforum then such as the draft forum .

Technically, just read the thread title.

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Technically, just read the thread title.

why not read the 27 subforum definitions before you get shitty with me ?

seems the subforums where put in place for more than just decorations and if a draft topic comes up in the wrong forum how is that not a bigger violation of standards than talking about another draft prospect in a preexisting thread ?

great idea you have your opinions and I will have mine , pretty basic concept

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 12:33 PM
why not read the 27 subforum definitions before you get shitty with me ?

seems the subforums where put in place for more than just decorations and if a draft topic comes up in the wrong forum how is that not a bigger violation of standards than talking about another draft prospect in a preexisting thread ?

great idea you have your opinions and I will have mine , pretty basic concept

I'm not the one getting shitty.

ALLD
03-16-2017, 08:52 PM
The Steelers corner the market when it comes to drafting rough diamond WRs. They do fine with ILB too, but their OLB and CB players could be released and most never missed. They should sub it out and let a different set of experts find those draft prospects. What they are doing currently is not working.

lipps83
03-16-2017, 09:09 PM
If Watt is there, take him.

Let James Harrison raise him like one of his children.

Hawkman
03-16-2017, 09:18 PM
The Steelers corner the market when it comes to drafting rough diamond WRs. They do fine with ILB too, but their OLB and CB players could be released and most never missed. They should sub it out and let a different set of experts find those draft prospects. What they are doing currently is not working.

I agree with the CBs, but not so much on the OLBs. To me J Jones has been the only real wiff in a while. Woodley and Harrison, were scary for several years. Porter was a mouth, but a stud, and I think Dupree will be a bad ass as well.

teegre
03-16-2017, 09:30 PM
Watt vs. McKinley
chocolate vs. vanilla
Ginger vs. Mary Ann
nachos vs. hot wings
The Caymans vs. Hawaii
et cetera vs. yadda-yadda-yadda

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Watt vs. McKinley
chocolate vs. vanilla
Ginger vs. Mary Ann
nachos vs. hot wings
The Caymans vs. Hawaii
et cetera vs. yadda-yadda-yadda

Seriously!? It's Hot Wings with Ginger in Maui, et cetera...

DesertSteel
04-24-2017, 05:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/watt

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Watt vs. McKinley
chocolate vs. vanilla
Ginger vs. Mary Ann
nachos vs. hot wings
The Caymans vs. Hawaii
et cetera vs. yadda-yadda-yadda I wanted Watt but everything you put on the right side I enjoy so much more out of life. Guess I got to go with Mckinley lol.

Shoes
04-24-2017, 08:38 PM
It's going to be good seeing Watt in Pittsburgh holding that Steeler jersey with the #1 on it! :eyebrows: Thanks for the link DS

teegre
04-24-2017, 08:59 PM
I wanted Watt but everything you put on the right side I enjoy so much more out of life. Guess I got to go with Mckinley lol.

Noted.

In the future, if I ever need to sway you, I'll bust out the vanilla ice cream, hot wings, and brunettes. :rofl2:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-25-2017, 02:19 AM
Noted.

In the future, if I ever need to sway you, I'll bust out the vanilla ice cream, hot wings, and brunettes. :rofl2: Heck yea the things make life worth living!

Rotorhead
04-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Honestly, I am going to be happy with our #1 if it is Taco, Makk, Watt or any other of the edge rushers that make an impact this first season. I would like Makk, but will be more than happy with Watt. I think the edge drops off more than CB in the second, so pick an edge rusher in the 1st, CB in the second and I am happy!

Steelheart
04-25-2017, 11:01 AM
I would be happy with Watt. My 3 OLB "crushes" if you will are Watt, Rivers and Tak. I know some have concern with Taks shoulder but he is supposed to be back by the start of the season or earlier IIRC and we still have James Harrison there to give us time if Tak isn't quite ready.

Devil's D
04-27-2017, 03:05 PM
I’m on the Watt bandwagon, but I’m afraid that the Steelers would need to move-up a few spots because I don’t think that he will make it past Green Bay.

Born2Steel
04-27-2017, 03:10 PM
I’m on the Watt bandwagon, but I’m afraid that the Steelers would need to move-up a few spots because I don’t think that he will make it past Green Bay.

He is a great fit for the Packers.

pczach
04-27-2017, 03:28 PM
He is a great fit for the Packers.

Yep

st33lersguy
04-27-2017, 11:12 PM
Hell yeah!!! TJ Watt coming to the Burgh! Gonna wear the black n gold!

Psycho Ward 86
04-27-2017, 11:18 PM
TJ just got a haircut from my barber 2 days ago. Ill come back and see if i can get an inside scoop guys :lol:

JayC
04-27-2017, 11:32 PM
seems like a hungry OLB. i think he might be a steal in a few years.

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2017, 11:54 PM
just wanna congratulate DesertSteel for starting this thread a long time ago.

great call buddy :thumbsup:

DesertSteel
04-28-2017, 01:18 AM
just wanna congratulate DesertSteel for starting this thread a long time ago.

great call buddy :thumbsup:

I'm pretty excited about this. For those who don't like the pick, just give him the chance next season to show you what he can do.

Shoes
04-28-2017, 03:57 PM
“Look over my brother, make sure to haze him a little extra for me,” J.J. Watt texted Steelers wide receiver (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers?ex_cid=espnapi_affiliate_IFTTT) Antonio Brown, a former teammate of his at Central Michigan before J.J. Watt transferred to Wisconsin.

pczach
04-28-2017, 04:59 PM
“Look over my brother, make sure to haze him a little extra for me,” J.J. Watt texted Steelers wide receiver (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers?ex_cid=espnapi_affiliate_IFTTT)Antonio Brown, a former teammate of his at Central Michigan before J.J. Watt transferred to Wisconsin.

To think that those two players were teammates at Central Michigan is mind-blowing!

teegre
04-28-2017, 05:02 PM
To think that those two players were teammates at Central Michigan is mind-blowing!

A Steelers scout had gone there to look at Watt (before he transferred), and saw this WR with some skills.

So, they kept tabs on that WR...

DesertSteel
04-28-2017, 07:06 PM
This is a really good article on Watt's athleticism compared to the rest of the league at his position.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/04/28/tj-watt-steelers-combine-sparq-score-nfl-draft-2017-grades/stories/201704280182?pgpageversion=pgevoke

DesertSteel
04-02-2021, 03:10 PM

my wishlist is short

2) CB Cordrea Tankersley
3) S Justin Evans
3) CB Howard Wilson
5) EDGE Calvin Munson
6) LB Steven Taylor
7) TE Michael Roberts
How'd that work for you? Sorry, I couldn't resist when I came upon this post in a search. Lol

86WARD
04-02-2021, 03:14 PM
Good. We ageee to disagree. We shall see RE Watt vs your guy Takk. Then we'll have something to argue about :)

And btw, I didn't need a crystal ball to see that Jones was a sack of crap.

?

Dwinsgames
04-02-2021, 03:20 PM
How'd that work for you? Sorry, I couldn't resist when I came upon this post in a search. Lol

not very well

st33lersguy
04-02-2021, 06:08 PM
I was thinking about this earlier but I really can't believe some of the edge rushers that were drafted before TJ. With Charles Harris, Takk McKinley and Taco Charlton all being drafted before him, even if it's only after 4 years, it's clear some teams messed up big. Harris and Taco have done nothing in this league. Takk did a little bit of something for a little bit but was a headache and is on his third team. None of them finished the 2020 season with the team that drafted them.

teegre
04-02-2021, 07:41 PM
not very well

To be fair, you wanted Mahomes above all others.

Dwinsgames
04-03-2021, 09:09 AM
To be fair, you wanted Mahomes above all others.

this is true , but was told over and over he was a 3 year project ....

and how does that Justin Evans pick look ......

RunNGun
04-08-2021, 07:04 PM
I'm surprised I didn't post in this thread. Definitely a good thing. I remember wanting Tyus Bowser over Watt. Good call DesertSteel!

hawaiiansteeler
04-08-2021, 07:09 PM
this is true , but was told over and over he was a 3 year project ....

come on, QBs from Texas Tech never make it in the NFL :flap:

Mojouw
04-09-2021, 09:02 AM
FWIW, Packers fans are still angry about the TJ Watt pick.

I remember watching that draft and as soon as I saw GB trade out...I just knew that TJ Watt was going to be a Steeler. While I wasn't totally certain...I also had a feeling he would immediately produce results....but I never figured he would be this good.

hawaiiansteeler
04-14-2021, 08:28 PM
Ray Fittipaldo
@rayfitt1

NFL draft research tidbit of the day: In 2017, these pass rushers were selected before T.J. Watt: Myles Garrett, Derek Barnett, Jonathan Allen, Charles Harris, Takk McKinley and Taco Charlton. Watt has more sacks (49.5) than all of them.

Charlton, McKinley and Harris, the three edge rushers taken before Watt, have combined for only 35 career sacks.

Apr 13, 2021

https://twitter.com/rayfitt1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed %7Ctwterm%5E1381967518273728516%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon% 5Es2_&ref_url=

st33lersguy
04-14-2021, 09:27 PM
Charlton, McKinley and Harris, the three edge rushers taken before Watt, have combined for only 35 career sacks.

Charlton, McKinley and Harris combined have 25 career sacks with the teams that drafted them (all are on their 2nd or 3rd teams), less than TJ's total from the past 2 years