PDA

View Full Version : Casserly 2017 Mock Draft: Steelers Select Michigan LB/S Jabrill Peppers 30th Overall

Shoes
03-07-2017, 07:47 PM
He had us taking Burns last year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000654888/article/casserly-mock-draft-40-goff-wentz-go-12-browns-take-top-rb

Now that the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine has concluded, we’re sure to be treated to several new mock drafts from the major media in the coming days. Former NFL general manager and current NFL.comanalysts Charley Casserly wasted no time in getting his latest first round prediction posted (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/mock-drafts/charley-casserly/340701) and he has the Pittsburgh Steelers selecting Michigan LB/S Jabrill Peppers 30th overall.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/casserly-2017-mock-draft-steelers-select-michigan-lbs-jabrill-peppers-30th-overall/

SteelerFanInStl
03-07-2017, 08:14 PM
I saw that earlier today. Why is it that he thinks we have a "safety need"? Safety is not one of our top needs for this draft.

I wouldn't be happy with that pick. I'm not convinced that Peppers will be very good as a safety in the NFL.

st33lersguy
03-07-2017, 08:28 PM
He does fit what the Steelers are looking for. Athletic, versatile. That being said, I'd rather get a safety with better cover skills i.e. Buddha Baker who was available to the Steelers at 30 in this mock (of course we should all know that there are times when there is a discrepancy between who most fans want and who the team actually drafts)

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2017, 10:16 PM
I saw that earlier today. Why is it that he thinks we have a "safety need"? Safety is not one of our top needs for this draft.

I wouldn't be happy with that pick. I'm not convinced that Peppers will be very good as a safety in the NFL.

Because Mitchell is the worst starter on our defense and he's going to have an $8 million dollar cap hit for the next 2 seasons? If we wanted a safety though Peppers would be a shit pick. Any team out there thats desperate at safety and passes on Budda Baker is going to be kicking themselves

Steeldude
03-07-2017, 11:27 PM
I thought the word on Peppers is he never makes anything happen aka average?? I would rather grab an OLB.

Bluecoat96
03-08-2017, 04:46 AM
I thought the word on Peppers is he never makes anything happen aka average?? I would rather grab an OLB.
I think you're right on Peppers. The only thing I see him as being truly elite with is his return ability.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BlackAndGold
03-08-2017, 05:32 AM
1 career INT(came off a tip pass). Steelers will pass, they want players that can make plays on the ball.

Many scouts like him as a RB.

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2017, 07:55 AM
He does fit what the Steelers are looking for. Athletic, versatile. That being said, I'd rather get a safety with better cover skills i.e. Buddha Baker who was available to the Steelers at 30 in this mock (of course we should all know that there are times when there is a discrepancy between who most fans want and who the team actually drafts)

Because Mitchell is the worst starter on our defense and he's going to have an $8 million dollar cap hit for the next 2 seasons? If we wanted a safety though Peppers would be a shit pick. Any team out there thats desperate at safety and passes on Budda Baker is going to be kicking themselves

Yes, if we're looking to replace Mitchell, which I'm all for, Peppers isn't the answer. Baker would be a much better selection.

Mitchell is still under contract though so we don't actually have a "safety need". More like a "safety want".

Shoes
03-08-2017, 08:08 AM
I hope Charley is wrong on this one! :chuckle:

86WARD
03-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Peppers doesn't really have a position either. I'm not crazy about picking him.

Born2Steel
03-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Pure athlete. He can play LB, safety, corner, slot receiver, RB, KR, PR, maybe even some QB too. He's a complete luxury pick in the 1st. A steal of the century in the 2nd. I know we have 'needs', but I'm ok with taking him at 30. Who is the bonafide 'can't miss' that we take instead?

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Pure athlete. He can play LB, safety, corner, slot receiver, RB, KR, PR, maybe even some QB too. He's a complete luxury pick in the 1st. A steal of the century in the 2nd. I know we have 'needs', but I'm ok with taking him at 30. Who is the bonafide 'can't miss' that we take instead?

Sure, he can play those positions, but he's not great at any of them except maybe KR/PR. I'd say that he's far from a "can't miss" prospect.

st33lersguy
03-08-2017, 12:27 PM
The problem with Peppers is he doesn't have the weight to play LB and he doesn't have the cover skills to play defensive back

Born2Steel
03-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Sure, he can play those positions, but he's not great at any of them except maybe KR/PR. I'd say that he's far from a "can't miss" prospect.

Wasn't saying Peppers was the 'can't miss', I was asking who is the 'can't miss'.

86WARD
03-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Agree. He is a great athlete without a position. Works in college and works very well. Doesn't necessarily work in the pros.

BurghBoy412
03-08-2017, 01:41 PM
The guy is a great team player. Moved to linebacker last season to fill a need for his team. Did he worry about his draft status and refuse to play the position? No he did what would help the team. Besides the obvious athletic ability. IMO he's a great addition in the locker room. It is my humble opinion that you guys are missing big on Peppers. He's a truck not a trailer. When he's in New England winning rings and contributing to a "team". Everyone is gonna be crying that we had the chance and passed.

Born2Steel
03-08-2017, 02:08 PM
The guy is a great team player. Moved to linebacker last season to fill a need for his team. Did he worry about his draft status and refuse to play the position? No he did what would help the team. Besides the obvious athletic ability. IMO he's a great addition in the locker room. It is my humble opinion that you guys are missing big on Peppers. He's a truck not a trailer. When he's in New England winning rings and contributing to a "team". Everyone is gonna be crying that we had the chance and passed.

Completely agree with your evaluation. I think he will be there at 30, but probably not at 62. I am ok with this pick. However, there will be other players available that will probably turn out great for somebody also. Have to see who is available at pick 30. I'm ok with taking Peppers at 30, ok. But not at the cost of, say, if Foster falls to 30. Is Peppers going to be the next TP43? Probably not, but he could be.

BurghBoy412
03-08-2017, 07:02 PM
I fee like the edge rusher need was drastically distorted by the loss of Cam Heyward up front. Leave Davis and Burns as obvious starters. Mitchell if absolutely necessary. The second CB and a Nickel/ slot corner positions must be upgraded this offseason or its just going to be more of the same. Getting to the QB was not that big of a problem. Remember they recorded quite a few sacks down the stretch.

Bluecoat96
03-08-2017, 07:18 PM
I fee like the edge rusher need was drastically distorted by the loss of Cam Heyward up front. Leave Davis and Burns as obvious starters. Mitchell if absolutely necessary. The second CB and a Nickel/ slot corner positions must be upgraded this offseason or its just going to be more of the same. Getting to the QB was not that big of a problem. Remember they recorded quite a few sacks down the stretch.
I just don't see Peppers as the solution. I felt he was overrated at Michigan...except for his return ability. If I'm wrong, so be it. I certainly won't cry and moan about it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2017, 07:41 PM

While the loss of Cam definitely hurt, the fact that James Harrison led the team in sacks with 5 should be enough to tell you that the need for an edge rusher is still very high.

BurghBoy412
03-08-2017, 07:48 PM
While the loss of Cam definitely hurt, the fact that James Harrison led the team in sacks with 5 should be enough to tell you that the need for an edge rusher is still very high.
He's not getting any younger. You cannot deny that fact. The edge is definitely an important need. I just wouldn't put it above the need to upgrade the secondary. I'm hoping they go Saftey and Corner with the first two picks.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mojouw
03-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Jack of all trades and master of none?

What does Peppers do well or do better than a similar player? Sure he is an amazing athlete. So was Dri Archer.

BurghBoy412
03-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Jack of all trades and master of none?

What does Peppers do well or do better than a similar player? Sure he is an amazing athlete. So was Dri Archer.
Take the raw athletic talent and coach them to play like a Steeler. Isn't that the Steeler way?

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2017, 07:56 PM
He's not getting any younger. You cannot deny that fact. The edge is definitely an important need. I just wouldn't put it above the need to upgrade the secondary. I'm hoping they go Saftey and Corner with the first two picks.

While I agree that we also need to address the secondary, waiting until the 3rd round to get an edge rusher would be a big mistake.

- - - Updated - - -

Take the raw athletic talent and coach them to play like a Steeler. Isn't that the Steeler way?

I don't have confidence in any of our coaches to be able to do that other than Munchak and Mitchell.

BurghBoy412
03-08-2017, 07:56 PM
While I agree that we also need to address the secondary, waiting until the 3rd round to get an edge rusher would be a big mistake.
It might be. I'm just glad we have the $$ guys in the front office to make those calls.

Mojouw
03-08-2017, 07:59 PM

But that has only worked when the player has a fairly high football IQ to begin with. Sure they can be hella raw - but have to be able to read, diagnose, react, process etc.

Does Peppers have that? I have no idea. The extremely little I have seen of him (and it is really little) looks like a player who has so few snaps spent on defense that he is not proactive about anything. Maybe in single coverage - because he just has to shadow the receiver but in other things he is still a few steps slow to react. Such an astounding athlete that it is mostly hidden at the college level - but the NFL is going to expose that big-time.

Now, you are correct, if Peppers has a high enough football intelligence - coaching and film study can correct that and potentially correct that quickly. That is a better way of phrasing my question.

Peppers is one of the best athletes in the draft. No debate. Is he one of the 32 best football players in the draft? If so, take him and Round 1. If not, pass.

BurghBoy412
03-08-2017, 08:12 PM
But that has only worked when the player has a fairly high football IQ to begin with. Sure they can be hella raw - but have to be able to read, diagnose, react, process etc.

Does Peppers have that? I have no idea. The extremely little I have seen of him (and it is really little) looks like a player who has so few snaps spent on defense that he is not proactive about anything. Maybe in single coverage - because he just has to shadow the receiver but in other things he is still a few steps slow to react. Such an astounding athlete that it is mostly hidden at the college level - but the NFL is going to expose that big-time.

Now, you are correct, if Peppers has a high enough football intelligence - coaching and film study can correct that and potentially correct that quickly. That is a better way of phrasing my question.

Peppers is one of the best athletes in the draft. No debate. Is he one of the 32 best football players in the draft? If so, take him and Round 1. If not, pass.
I'm just a fan. I'm not close enough to the action to make those calls. Does he have a high football IQ? I really couldn't tell you because I'm not on the inside. What I have seen I really like. The fact that he has no problem working wherever he is needed is a trait that is rare. A lot of players can have all the physical skills and talent in the world but you cannot coach them. They have no versatility. They are stubborn. Peppers has the physical ability and the right attitude. He showed that at the combine by working out with the LB's and then DB's without complaint. Give me guys like that all day long.

Psycho Ward 86
03-08-2017, 09:32 PM
The last defensive back I can recall that had such incredible all-around athleticism but didnt seem to have a savvy assignment IQ was Taylor Mays

BurghBoy412
03-08-2017, 10:10 PM
The last defensive back I can recall that had such incredible all-around athleticism but didnt seem to have a savvy assignment IQ was Taylor Mays
Didn't Mays only play one position at USC? I cannot remember.

BigNastyDefense
03-11-2017, 09:38 PM
I've seen quite a few Michigan games and Peppers is a great athlete. He was very selfless playing LB because the team needed him to last year. However, I don't think he's got the coverage skills to play S and he's not big enough to play LB in the NFL.

He doesn't go with the Steelers current defensive drafting of LB/DB of guys who can take the ball away. One interception in college. I think he will be a damn good return man, maybe Devin Hester-ish even. On the defensive side of ST he will likely also be a beast. But as for a defensive player period, even with his athleticism I think he will probably be average.

And as of right now, we don't have a safety NEED. Mitchell is under contract the next two seasons (and I think he's begged than he's being given credit for) and Sean Davis - we have starters at the position for the next couple of years at least.

I think our biggest need is edge rusher. Harrison lead the team with 5 sacks last season. Hopefully we will have Bud Dupree all next season and he will do big things. However, I think if we get a guy who can edge rush from the other side too (and then save Harrison for big pass rush downs where maybe we have him with Dupree and this other unknown guy), we can see a potentially good ballhawking secondary take advantage of the pass rush.

If Peppers is there in the second round, or if he falls a bit and they can trade up for him, I'd be okay with that. But the 30th overall pick? Not for a player that you're possibly not 100% sure where he's even going to play on defense.

BurghBoy412
03-11-2017, 09:41 PM
I've seen quite a few Michigan games and Peppers is a great athlete. He was very selfless playing LB because the team needed him to last year. However, I don't think he's got the coverage skills to play S and he's not big enough to play LB in the NFL.

He doesn't go with the Steelers current defensive drafting of LB/DB of guys who can take the ball away. One interception in college. I think he will be a damn good return man, maybe Devin Hester-ish even. On the defensive side of ST he will likely also be a beast. But as for a defensive player period, even with his athleticism I think he will probably be average.

And as of right now, we don't have a safety NEED. Mitchell is under contract the next two seasons (and I think he's begged than he's being given credit for) and Sean Davis - we have starters at the position for the next couple of years at least.

I think our biggest need is edge rusher. Harrison lead the team with 5 sacks last season. Hopefully we will have Bud Dupree all next season and he will do big things. However, I think if we get a guy who can edge rush from the other side too (and then save Harrison for big pass rush downs where maybe we have him with Dupree and this other unknown guy), we can see a potentially good ballhawking secondary take advantage of the pass rush.

If Peppers is there in the second round, or if he falls a bit and they can trade up for him, I'd be okay with that. But the 30th overall pick? Not for a player that you're possibly not 100% sure where he's even going to play on defense.
He could play the slot. No doubt in my mind.

BurghBoy412
03-11-2017, 09:58 PM

He could play slot. I don't doubt that.

Mojouw
03-11-2017, 10:01 PM

Great posting. I think that the "need" or role for a guy like Peppers increases if Butler and the rest of the staff see Timmons departure as chance to move the defense in a slightly different direction.

Play a 3-4 with someone like Peppers in a SS/LB hybrid role. Basically the Steelers play outside their basse 3-4 the majority of the time anyways. It typically ends up being some sort of 2-4-5. Peppers would like really good and likely excel in a "hybrid" role as the 4th LB in that alignment.

If they get a safety in the first two rounds of the draft I strongly believe that it will be a signal of Butler moving the defense into a more coverage heavy scheme with 5+ DBs on the field almost constantly.

All that being said, you could arrive at the same point with a guy like Reddick from Temple alongside Shazier. Or the dude with the long name from Tennessee. Maybin something or other. Alternatively, you could go with a "big" CB that could handle TEs on his own and drop Mitchell or Davis down into the LB hybrid role.

What am I trying to say? I really believe that Butler and Tomlin are going to stay a "base" 3-4 team but the moves they have made on defense the last 2 years or so point towards really running it more as "big nickel" package as a base. I think they wanted Golden to be a big part of that, but he doesn't seem up to the task. Fortunately, if that is indeed they way they want to go, there are several guys in this draft class that could do the job. But they are all listed as DBs - not Lbs.

BurghBoy412
03-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Peppers recently said in an interview that he views himself as a "safety". Does that not qualify as a DB?

BurghBoy412
03-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Great posting. I think that the "need" or role for a guy like Peppers increases if Butler and the rest of the staff see Timmons departure as chance to move the defense in a slightly different direction.

Play a 3-4 with someone like Peppers in a SS/LB hybrid role. Basically the Steelers play outside their basse 3-4 the majority of the time anyways. It typically ends up being some sort of 2-4-5. Peppers would like really good and likely excel in a "hybrid" role as the 4th LB in that alignment.

If they get a safety in the first two rounds of the draft I strongly believe that it will be a signal of Butler moving the defense into a more coverage heavy scheme with 5+ DBs on the field almost constantly.

All that being said, you could arrive at the same point with a guy like Reddick from Temple alongside Shazier. Or the dude with the long name from Tennessee. Maybin something or other. Alternatively, you could go with a "big" CB that could handle TEs on his own and drop Mitchell or Davis down into the LB hybrid role.

What am I trying to say? I really believe that Butler and Tomlin are going to stay a "base" 3-4 team but the moves they have made on defense the last 2 years or so point towards really running it more as "big nickel" package as a base. I think they wanted Golden to be a big part of that, but he doesn't seem up to the task. Fortunately, if that is indeed they way they want to go, there are several guys in this draft class that could do the job. But they are all listed as DBs - not Lbs.
If you are correct and Butler is moving the Defense in this new direction. Which I happen to believe is exactly what is happening btw. If you had to pick between Tre White , Budda Baker, or Peppers. Who would you take?

Mojouw
03-11-2017, 10:27 PM
If you are correct and Butler is moving the Defense in this new direction. Which I happen to believe is exactly what is happening btw. If you had to pick between Tre White , Budda Baker, or Peppers. Who would you take?

Man. That's a hard one. About a week ago I was totally against Peppers. I didn't see a role for him and I wasn't sure he was an impact player. Based on the posts around here and reading/watching some more of Peppers - I'm now thinking you just draft the dude and figure the role out later.

I guess I would have to say Peppers because he has better size than Baker and is a better tackler than White. Also, he kinda comes pre-made for the role. The other two are more "traditional" DB prospects?

What about the dude from UConn with the name I can't spell?

BurghBoy412
03-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Man. That's a hard one. About a week ago I was totally against Peppers. I didn't see a role for him and I wasn't sure he was an impact player. Based on the posts around here and reading/watching some more of Peppers - I'm now thinking you just draft the dude and figure the role out later.

I guess I would have to say Peppers because he has better size than Baker and is a better tackler than White. Also, he kinda comes pre-made for the role. The other two are more "traditional" DB prospects?

What about the dude from UConn with the name I can't spell?
Obi Melifonwu . Freakish athletic ability. I think he's 6' 2-3". He's really good at covering over the top. Moves sideline to sideline with ease. Really hard guy to beat deep. Fantastic FS prospect.

I really wish the Steelers could pull a trade and snag both guys.

Still Peppers appear like a guy you could line up anywhere on the field. I love that versatility. Especially in a pass happy league with monster TE's lining up all over the place.

That being said. I just watched an Obi highlight reel. He is FN unbelievable man!!!!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-12-2017, 01:07 AM
Obi Melifonwu . Freakish athletic ability. I think he's 6' 2-3". He's really good at covering over the top. Moves sideline to sideline with ease. Really hard guy to beat deep. Fantastic FS prospect.

I really wish the Steelers could pull a trade and snag both guys.

Still Peppers appear like a guy you could line up anywhere on the field. I love that versatility. Especially in a pass happy league with monster TE's lining up all over the place.

That being said. I just watched an Obi highlight reel. He is FN unbelievable man!!!! I'd be more then happy with Peppers as our pick and that kid is going to be a star!! Anyhow welcome back BB.