PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers follow Patriots philosophy & draft a QB?

BlackAndGold
03-05-2017, 08:55 AM

Top five quarterback prospects as rated by nfldraftscout.comPlayer School Year
Mitch Trubisky North Carolina Jr.
DeShone Kizer Notre Dame So.
Deshaun Watson, Clemson Jr.
Patrick Mahomes Texas Tech Jr.
Brad Kaaya Miami Jr.
---
For the Steelers, keep an eye on:
Davis Webb California Sr.

Born2Steel
03-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Yes. Not because of the Patriots but because we need to prepare for our future. I have trouble trusting the QB ranking system though. Teegre made a good point, in another thread, showing draft position for QBs and success of those QBs in the NFL. However, I just don't trust this class. Trubisky has 1 year as a starter, 1 season, 13 games. That screams developmental guy to me. Kizer is more polished, but did ND impress anyone? Watson and Kaaya are both wildly inconsistent and inaccurate down field. Mahomes may be the best choice. IMO, but not at 30. He still does not seem to have that future of the franchise appearance either. And he would have to to be our 1st round pick. I do like Nathan Peterman in a mid to late round. If there in the 5th or lower round Chad Kelly could be a steal. I see almost all of the Ole Miss games. Reminds me a lot of Favre. Canon arm and mobile, live and die by the sword QB. Peterman and Kelly don't wow on film, but seem to me to be the best fit for the Steelers. Again, just my opinion.

st33lersguy
03-05-2017, 11:11 AM
If the value is there they should take one. I don't think Ben will last more than 2 years

Mojouw
03-05-2017, 11:18 AM
If you are not able or willing to take a QB in the first 12 picks, then you have to draft one at some point in every draft until you strike gold. If you do not, then you are stuck with in mediocrity at best.

WCSteeler
03-05-2017, 11:50 AM
The Steelers don't trade up, they just don't but if the Steelers want a guy like Mahomes I think they will have to trade up in the 2nd to get him. The Steelers met with both Mahomes and Kaaya and that seems to show where they want to draft at which by analyst guess should be in rounds 2 or 3. This draft has been labeled as a very strong defensive draft which should help the Steelers get a QB which they really need. The term 'weak QB class' is laughable, look how many sure shot QBS in the last 10 seasons have turned out to be far less than expected and the guys who were passed up turned out serviceable or better.

ALLD
03-05-2017, 03:49 PM
If Dan Marino Jr. enters the draft they should not pass him up.

Craic
03-05-2017, 06:55 PM
I honestly think part of the philosophy up there, and this I can admire, is drafting mid round and developing a QB for a couple of years then open him up to a trade . . . it's like buying a CD or Money Market account—pretty safe, and you get some interest on the draft pick. The problem, however, is that it's safe because of the QB system them have, and its a system we do NOT have.

Mojouw
03-05-2017, 07:31 PM
I honestly think part of the philosophy up there, and this I can admire, is drafting mid round and developing a QB for a couple of years then open him up to a trade . . . it's like buying a CD or Money Market account—pretty safe, and you get some interest on the draft pick. The problem, however, is that it's safe because of the QB system them have, and its a system we do NOT have.

Not sure I follow. I feel that the Pats read and diagnose timing passing is far more mentally demanding on the QB than Haley's short passing and screen focused offense with a few deep shots thrown in.

But I suspect your own to something. The Pats have made a series of guys look competent at worst that NEVER looked even okay anywhere else.

pczach
03-05-2017, 08:25 PM
The Pats win. They consistently move down in the draft to acquire additional draft picks. Then they use these extra picks to move around in the draft and choose luxury picks because Belichick game plans well with the talent they have and the quarterback they have....and wins.

The strategy gives you more draft picks. The ability to draft more players also gives you the ability to develop more players and allows a team to move up when they really want to get a certain player. As long as the team has enough current talent on the roster and they continue to win, the strategy makes a ton of sense. Because of the additional picks, they are also able to draft at positions that aren't an immediate need. That's how you are able to draft and develop quarterbacks without sacrificing drafting talent at positions of need.

Born2Steel
03-05-2017, 10:08 PM
If you are not able or willing to take a QB in the first 12 picks, then you have to draft one at some point in every draft until you strike gold. If you do not, then you are stuck with in mediocrity at best.

Since we never pick that high that would require a trade. I don't see a QB worth trading up for in this one. Better to just pick the best of the rest this time. Mahomes played in the 'Texas spread offense' and didn't have to make reads for the most part, and he's probably the most pro ready of the top 5.

86WARD
03-06-2017, 06:47 AM
If a player played in the spread offense and didn't have to make reads, how many of those type QBs succeed in the NFL?

steelreserve
03-06-2017, 11:00 AM
If we used the same system as the Patriots and did things the same way, it would make sense to draft the same way as them. We do not use the same system or do things the same way.

Specifically, they need a QB who can fit into their system of short quick reads. We need one who can make plays. Frankly, it's a lot harder to find what we're looking for than what they're looking for. One of the reasons why I think Belichick (curse his soul) deserves a lot more of the credit for that team's success than Brady, and why Brady as a "Greatest of All Time" candidate is laughable. Basically, they've discovered an exploit and abused it for 15+ years.

It's also worth noting that the Patriots tend to draft QBs in the second and third rounds, whereas we pick up 4th- and 5th-round junkers. There's a lot of difference in what you typically get.

In any case, the overall QB talent in this draft is, to put it nicely ... less than impressive. Or to put it less nicely, we could expect roughly this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvof5y5Wie8

Born2Steel
03-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Think of the '2nd tier' QBs in the league. Most of them are starters for their team. If we could trade our backups for one of them, say Cousins/Tannehill/Ryan, I think we would all do that in a heartbeat. That's where the concern at QB lies. Not can we replace BB. We already know that isn't realistic. But where we sit at the moment is Jones or Mettenberger. We have to upgrade that. So that means trade or draft, or both. There are some in this draft that are worthy of a chance, but when to pull the trigger with the talent at positions of greater need are available, is the question. Safe to assume we will have BB this upcoming season. How far do you want to reach in this draft? If we do not draft a QB, we have not improved the situation at all. If we draft one, it's a crap shoot. So basically, I agree with the philosophy of drafting for upgrade whenever and wherever you can. You must have a QB to win in this league.

Born2Steel
03-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Chiefs GM John Dorsey: Draft's quarterbacks aren't ready to play

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000790629/article/chiefs-gm-john-dorsey-drafts-quarterbacks-arent-ready-to-play

BlackAndGold
03-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Wonder if Ed is on to something with the Davis Webb talk...

GBMelBlount
03-06-2017, 07:46 PM
I think out best bet may be to pick a top shelf QB in the first round 2018, including trading up if necessary.

Method28
03-06-2017, 07:57 PM
I think out best bet may be to pick a top shelf QB in the first round 2018, including trading up if necessary.
Someone like Sam Darnold 😍😍😁😁

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

teegre
03-06-2017, 08:50 PM

WINNER!!! :willy: WINNER!!!

I've stated the same in a few threads. Trade the R2 pick, in order to acquire an extra R1 pick in 2018... and then use both R1 picks in 2018, in order to trade up for a QB.