PDA

View Full Version : Watching The TE'S

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Man Engram is fast and looks great. Shaheen though looks like a later RD bargain and those two stuck out to me. Howard looked decent as expected. Deep group!

Shoes
03-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Kittle not bad, 4.52-40YD & 11' Broad and blocks like an OT. :)

03-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Kittle not bad, 4.52-40YD & 11' Broad and blocks like an OT. :) Yea and think a decent TE such as him can be had in the latter rds. Shaheen is my top choice though.

- - - Updated - - -

Howard and Engram may not even be there when we pick. Engram looks like everything we was hoping to get in Green.

BlackAndGold
03-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Give me Sheheen or Kittle and I'm happy. Both can be had in rounds 3-5

Psycho Ward 86
03-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Im ecstatic about some of the tight end prospects that ran slower than expected 40's. David Njoku, 4.64. Adam Shaheen, 4.79. Great chance for them to drop in the 1st and 2nd round respectively. Man, Kittle does not look like he runs that fast on film but he really boosted his stock today.

I know the team has been talking to Engram who I don't really like. Looks like 4.42 should only help him. I read online that some teams have him grading out higher than OJ Howard, including the Giants who are tight end desperate. I hope they take him so any tight end discussion at #30 becomes Howard vs. Njoku vs. maaaaaybe Shaheen if the coaches do their research and really like him for the 2nd round

Craic
03-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Im ecstatic about some of the tight end prospects that ran slower than expected 40's. David Njoku, 4.64. Adam Shaheen, 4.79. Great chance for them to drop in the 1st and 2nd round respectively. Man, Kittle does not look like he runs that fast on film but he really boosted his stock today.

I know the team has been talking to Engram who I don't really like. Looks like 4.42 should only help him. I read online that some teams have him grading out higher than OJ Howard, including the Giants who are tight end desperate. I hope they take him so any tight end discussion at #30 becomes Howard vs. Njoku vs. maaaaaybe Shaheen if the coaches do their research and really like him for the 2nd round

With the extra third round pic, the question is whether it'd be a TE discussion at #30, or at #23 or #24 with a trade of our third round pick. Jump the Giants and get he TE we want.

Steeldude
03-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Grab Kittles. Best TE for the Steelers, IMO.

BlackAndGold
03-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Grab Kittles. Best TE for the Steelers, IMO.

I want either Kittle or Shaheen.

Like posted above, Kittle forty time is impressive, but It doesn't show up on film. He's no longer a 6th round pick for sure.

Mojouw
03-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Just say "No" to a TE! The higher rated guys couldn't block me. The lower rated guys are just another version of Jesse James. Kittle and Sprinkle can block. But I feel like the Steelers could easily find a blocking TE for the cost of "not a draft pick".

IF they think Green can play in 2017 - then TE should get pushed down the road a bit.

Shoes
03-04-2017, 10:59 PM
Just say "No" to a TE! The higher rated guys couldn't block me. The lower rated guys are just another version of Jesse James. Kittle and Sprinkle can block. But I feel like the Steelers could easily find a blocking TE for the cost of "not a draft pick".

IF they think Green can play in 2017 - then TE should get pushed down the road a bit.
Well thats the problem and probably why they are looking at so many TE's. I don't think the FO has anymore hope that Green will make it through the first 6 games than we do. One more concussion and he's done imo.

03-04-2017, 11:07 PM

IF they think Green can play in 2017 - then TE should get pushed down the road a bit. That is the thing and will the Steelers know anything whats up with Green before the draft ? Same can be said with wr regarding Bryant. Since they got the extra 3. I have no problem them taking a chance on a TE between the 3rd and 5th rds. Not a immediate need but a need.

- - - Updated - - -

Well thats the problem and probably why they are looking a so many TE's. I don't think the FO has anymore hope that Green will make it through the first 6 games than we do. One more concussion and he's done imo. Lol think we basically posted close to the same reply to Mojouw at the same time .

Iron Steeler
03-05-2017, 07:42 AM
This TE class is athletic !!! I don't think there is a bad choice if we wait for someone in round 2

Psycho Ward 86
03-05-2017, 10:06 AM

this is supposed to be the best TE class in a decade or 2, possibly ever. seems like a waste, especially in the BPA regard if we dont take any. It just so happens to fill a need for us too

Born2Steel
03-05-2017, 10:23 AM
My thinking at TE is it all depends on Green's health. There are many in this draft to compare to Green, but that's what we have(maybe). If Green's health is an issue, I'm positive we will grab a TE in this draft. My favorite today remains Jeremy Sprinkle, Arkansas. Just an all around good TE. I think with teams getting pass rushers early there SHOULD be 3-5 good ones to choose from in rounds 3&4. But again, it all depends on Green. If Green cannot be who we need, we may take a TE earlier if the guy we want is there. Good value TEs, and fill a position of need. This is very similar to the WR conversation, IMO. We know what we MIGHT have, but today, we just don't REALLY know.

Mojouw
03-05-2017, 11:23 AM
What does this team want a TE to do? That is my question. When Miller was here it was block #1 and outlet pass #2. Now part of the reason for that was that for much of Miller's tenure, the team was run oriented and the pass blocking of the O-line was terrible.

Miller used to be the lead blocker who pulled around. Now they seem to be doing that with almost every lineman. Maybe they are "transitioning" to utilizing a TE who can't block. If that is the case and Green's noggin is truly rotten - then I guess they better go get a guy.

Just seems like a waste of a pick to me because after they top 3-4 guys, their scouting reports all start reading like a version of Jesse James or Xavier Grimble.

Shoes
03-05-2017, 12:01 PM
John Ross breaks record, but tight ends shine Saturday
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000790211/article/john-ross-breaks-record-but-tight-ends-shine-saturday

Psycho Ward 86
03-05-2017, 12:46 PM
What does this team want a TE to do? That is my question. When Miller was here it was block #1 and outlet pass #2. Now part of the reason for that was that for much of Miller's tenure, the team was run oriented and the pass blocking of the O-line was terrible.

Miller used to be the lead blocker who pulled around. Now they seem to be doing that with almost every lineman. Maybe they are "transitioning" to utilizing a TE who can't block. If that is the case and Green's noggin is truly rotten - then I guess they better go get a guy.

Just seems like a waste of a pick to me because after they top 3-4 guys, their scouting reports all start reading like a version of Jesse James or Xavier Grimble.

Imo it would be unsurprising to see us end up with the top tight end we wanted all along. That guy could be easily be either Howard, Engram, or Njoku. Even Shaheen was getting potential 1st round whispers before. Posted an article the other day that noted that Engram is actually the top tight end on the board for many teams, and that was before his crazy combine. But he's also so small, and even dwarfed by some of the biggest receivers in the league. Not to mention that a lot of teams arent fans of his blocking, even if effort isnt the issue. Howard is otherwise the consensus number one but not the sexiest pick. Njoku, tantalizingly raw, arguably outdone by Engram at the combine in a turn of events. Shaheen, small school kid, didnt blow the doors off the combine like he was supposed to even if he did fine for a guy his size. How many teams in the league really have tight end as their top need? I would argue that its either the Giants or nobody. That could help us get lucky

Born2Steel
03-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Imo it would be unsurprising to see us end up with the top tight end we wanted all along. That guy could be easily be either Howard, Engram, or Njoku. Even Shaheen was getting potential 1st round whispers before. Posted an article the other day that noted that Engram is actually the top tight end on the board for many teams, and that was before his crazy combine. But he's also so small, and even dwarfed by some of the biggest receivers in the league. Not to mention that a lot of teams arent fans of his blocking, even if effort isnt the issue. Howard is otherwise the consensus number one but not the sexiest pick. Njoku, tantalizingly raw, arguably outdone by Engram at the combine in a turn of events. Shaheen, small school kid, didnt blow the doors off the combine like he was supposed to even if he did fine for a guy his size. How many teams in the league really have tight end as their top need? I would argue that its either the Giants or nobody. That could help us get lucky

I also read on Engram that he is being looked at as a slot receiver over a TE by some. That actually makes more sense considering his body type. But he's still listed on the TE depth chart. Saints, Giants, Patriots would all use him as a hybrid pass catcher.

Mojouw
03-05-2017, 02:28 PM

I'm not sure "Lucky" is the word I would use to describe it.

Engram is essentially a big possession WR that works best out of the slot. Based on early reports and the combine that is going to cost you a 1st or 2nd round pick. Huh? If I need a big bodied possession type pass catcher in my offense - why not just wait until later in the draft and take a WR like Chesson from Michigan or Ross out of Mississippi state? Sure they have their flaws, but I'm getting an actual WR and I pay a 5-7th round cost for it rather than an inflated premium for a 237 pound TE who can't block. Plus if I'm the Steelers I just figure Severin can run crossing routes out of multi receiver stack for me and beat LBs and safeties all day long anyways.

Howard is basically Jimmy Graham 2.0. A really big WR masquerading as a TE. Fine. But if you don't feature that guy in your offense (the way the Saints did) is it worth a first round pick? I mean maybe Howard will fall to 30 (doubtful) and he is the BPA at the pick. No problem. But if the choice is Howard, a comparable pass rusher, CB, safety, or DL -- why get another receiving threat for a team that IF everyone is healthy and not suspended is looking at having a problem feeding guys as it is. Plus, like Graham, Howard is a bit of gimmick on offense. He can't do traditional TE things, so there is no "will they run or will they pass" confusion on the defense.

The rest of them, well just read the reports here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/TE

Basically says not totally reliable as pass catchers and bad as blockers. That's James, Green, and Grimble. So why do we want the team to spend a round 1-2 pick to "double down" on that? Njoku's most common NFL comparison is Eric Ebron. Assume that to be a fair and accurate comparison. Would you spend the 30th overall pick to get Eric Ebron's NFL production?

This year's TE class is fools gold in my opinion. They look great coming off the bus. Measure amazing at the combine. Come Sunday, what do they actually do on the field. Poor route runners, with suspect hands that made plays primarily against LBs and safeties that won't be playing on Sundays. Now can these guys develop into astounding weapons in the NFL? Possible. They could also be Jerad Cook and never pay off on their "potential". I say let some one else roll those dice.

Most of the TEs in this class have the EXACT same pros and cons as Ladarius Green did when he came out. Problem is, 5 years ago that was a 4th or 5th round pick. Now it is a 1st or 2nd. No thanks. I'm not paying inflated value because dudes do great in the underwear olympics.

I'm not trying to go after anyone here, just lay out my opinion. If I end up being wrong (most likely outcome) and one or more of these players dominates in the NFL - then I will cop to it. I just hope that if the Steelers do draft a TE early they turn out to be Kelce at least and Gronk at best.

Born2Steel
03-05-2017, 09:20 PM
"Engram is essentially a big possession WR that works best out of the slot. Based on early reports and the combine that is going to cost you a 1st or 2nd round pick. Huh? If I need a big bodied possession type pass catcher in my offense - why not just wait until later in the draft and take a WR like Chesson from Michigan or Ross out of Mississippi state? Sure they have their flaws, but I'm getting an actual WR and I pay a 5-7th round cost for it rather than an inflated premium for a 237 pound TE who can't block. Plus if I'm the Steelers I just figure Severin can run crossing routes out of multi receiver stack for me and beat LBs and safeties all day long anyways."

And......have you heard about this Brandon Marshall guy?

Mojouw
03-05-2017, 09:33 PM
"Engram is essentially a big possession WR that works best out of the slot. Based on early reports and the combine that is going to cost you a 1st or 2nd round pick. Huh? If I need a big bodied possession type pass catcher in my offense - why not just wait until later in the draft and take a WR like Chesson from Michigan or Ross out of Mississippi state? Sure they have their flaws, but I'm getting an actual WR and I pay a 5-7th round cost for it rather than an inflated premium for a 237 pound TE who can't block. Plus if I'm the Steelers I just figure Severin can run crossing routes out of multi receiver stack for me and beat LBs and safeties all day long anyways."

And......have you heard about this Brandon Marshall guy?

Sure. And if we were evaluating WR prospects, he would be a useful comparison. But we are not. We are evaluating TE prospects. So I could care less about Brandon Marshall.

But - what the hell -- I'll play along!

Brandon Marshall - http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7444
Engram - http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2017/3/4/14771236/ole-miss-2017-nfl-combine-evan-engram-dj-jones-tony-bridges-quincy-adeboyejo

So in the size, weight, and speed, they are about the same.

Here is the problem, Marshall put up 9 more reps on the bench then Engram does. And he plays outside WR not TE.

Engram is just simply not a TE. He is a slot WR who comes out of school with less WR experience than Marshall and weighing about 10-12 pounds heavier. Again, why am I drafting a slot WR who can't block to play TE in the first round? If I want to spend a 1st round pick on a WR - just do that.

Finally, here is the most important part -- Marshall didn't get drafted in the 1st round. He should've been but he wasn't. You can not convince me that a guy like Engram is worth a 1st round pick. He isn't able to play TE and if he is lumped in with the wideouts, there are far better options in the opening round.

03-05-2017, 09:48 PM
I mentioned I like Engram cause of his speed at the Combine. I also don't think TE is a top need and by no means should we take a TE in the first. 3rd or higher there will be some good ones left and is somewhat of a need, specially since Green is a mystery and Gimble is average. I like Jesse and he keeps improving but question marks after him.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps I'm all in on getting Marshall for 5 mil or less per year. Let Wheaton find another home and really the cost isn't that bad at all.

Born2Steel
03-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Sure. And if we were evaluating WR prospects, he would be a useful comparison. But we are not. We are evaluating TE prospects. So I could care less about Brandon Marshall.

But - what the hell -- I'll play along!

Brandon Marshall - http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7444
Engram - http://www.redcuprebellion.com/2017/3/4/14771236/ole-miss-2017-nfl-combine-evan-engram-dj-jones-tony-bridges-quincy-adeboyejo

So in the size, weight, and speed, they are about the same.

Here is the problem, Marshall put up 9 more reps on the bench then Engram does. And he plays outside WR not TE.

Engram is just simply not a TE. He is a slot WR who comes out of school with less WR experience than Marshall and weighing about 10-12 pounds heavier. Again, why am I drafting a slot WR who can't block to play TE in the first round? If I want to spend a 1st round pick on a WR - just do that.

Finally, here is the most important part -- Marshall didn't get drafted in the 1st round. He should've been but he wasn't. You can not convince me that a guy like Engram is worth a 1st round pick. He isn't able to play TE and if he is lumped in with the wideouts, there are far better options in the opening round.

I knew I should have put the sarcasm sign out there. Your points on Engram/Jimmy Graham, put me in mind of the discussion on Marshall. Where to play him and all. But, on point, why draft the TE when you could sign a veteran like Marshall to be your slot guy. (doesn't block/possession receiver)

Mojouw
03-05-2017, 09:58 PM
I knew I should have put the sarcasm sign out there. Your points on Engram/Jimmy Graham, put me in mind of the discussion on Marshall. Where to play him and all. But, on point, why draft the TE when you could sign a veteran like Marshall to be your slot guy. (doesn't block/possession receiver)
I totally missed your intent. Not surprising as many things are going right by me today!

I think we are moving towards being on the same page...

86WARD
03-06-2017, 06:49 AM
Wheaton is most likely on the outs whether Marshall was signed, Jim Bob WR was signed or no one was signed.