PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Steelers positional needs, all positions 2017

st33lersguy
03-03-2017, 08:12 PM
With days before free agency, I am again ranking Steelers positional needs from most needed to least needed for 2017

1. Outside Linebacker: Depth at this crucial position is scarce right now. The best at the position is James Harrison who will be 39 during the season and will soon be retired and the promising Bud Dupree. Arthur Moats and Anthony Chickillo are not world beaters and draft bust Jarvis Jones is probably gone. A young pass rusher to rotate in and replace Harrison in the near future should be a top priority.

2. Cornerback: After being my pick (as well as surely many others) for biggest need the last few years, the addition and promise showed by Artie Burns is knocked down to my no. 2 need. Depth is still a major issue and the increased use of 3 CBs in the league elevates this need. Ross Cockrell is not bad but William Gay's play dropped off, and Senquez Golson cannot be counted upon to make it out of training camp

3. Safety: I strongly considered putting this as my no. 2 need and the increased use of 3 CBs is the main factor in CB edging safety for the no. 2 need. Sean Davis proved to be a great addition and looks like he could be really good for a long time, but Mike Mitchell is not the most consistent safety and is entering 30 to boot. A high end safety to pair with Davis for the future could boost the defense

4. Quarterback: It's time. I don't think Ben is retiring this year, but I can't see him going on for more than 2 years either. Add the fact that he hasn't been able to stay healthy for all 16 games and the fact that the duo of Jones/Mettenberger should scare no one and adding a replacement who could also serve as backup makes sense.

5. Tight end: This would be lower if Ladarius Green wasn't such a question mark to stay healthy. Green's recurring concussions are a serious issue that have caused him to miss a lot of time and could cause him to continue to miss a lot of time in the future. James may be better served as a no. 2 and Grimble has not shown enough to be considered a reliable option

6. Running back: On paper this should be set. Le'Veon Bell is arguably the best in the league. However, Le'Veon has not played 16 games in a season yet in his career, and every year he has been sidelined due to injury. DeAngelo Williams is a free agent who will turn 34 before the season begins. Plus Karlos Williams, while talented is still very much an unknown. Depth remains an issue

7. Inside Linebacker: While Lawrence Timmons may be a free agent, Ryan Shazier is a pro bowler, and Vince Williams has performed admirably when called upon to start. Adding another inside linebacker would not be a bad idea, but an urgent need this is not

8. Defensive Line: It never hurts to add depth to this position, but with 3 solid starters at the position and some backups added last year, the need is not as urgent as it was last year and there is no need for an upgrade

9. Wide Receiver: Some people will strongly disagree with this rankings but based on what the Steelers have I think this is appropriate. I of course am operating off the assumption that Martavis Bryant will be reinstated and I have no reason to believe he won't be. Bryant is a solid no. 2 behind AB the best wide receiver in the league. Eli Rogers also did well as a no. 3 WR and could easily improve with an added year of experience as could some other WRs who were rookies last year. Martavis Bryant's reliability remains the biggest question followed by the free agency status of Markus Wheaton

10. Offensive Line: This has to be considered the most stacked position on the team. All 5 starters are strong and even backups such as Chris Hubbard and BJ Finney filled in admirably in substitute roles. Plus last year's 4th round pick Jerald Hawkins is returning from IR

DesertSteel
03-03-2017, 10:15 PM
No way can I see WR being at #9... I don't think the team sees it that way either, as will be demonstrated in the draft or FA.

Steeldude
03-04-2017, 02:53 AM
I would put RB on the bottom.

No sense in drafting a future QB unless they are actually going to be a future QB. A very poor class of QBs this draft.

Born2Steel
03-04-2017, 07:38 AM
The order of things aside, I agree with your thoughts. We know where we stand, for the most part, at all positions other than TE and WR. We can assume Bryant will be back but that still leaves us with only 2 guys Ben can truly count on. Green is the wild card at TE. If he's all systems go this season, we're happy and everything is fine. If he's still not cleared for contact, we will need someone at that position. QB is indifferent. If Ben goes down, the rest won't matter whoever is taking snaps. OL is stacked. Best it's been in recent memory, maybe ever. RB is in the same shape as TE. As long as Bell stays on the field, we are fat and happy. RB needs quality depth behind Bell. You guys know I love DWill(fellow Memphis Tiger) but he's good for about 3 -4 games starting. He will get injured and be unavailable. I see our DL as solid too. Not where it needs to be, we need 1 more solid DT/DL to rotate with the other 3 monsters, IMO. The remaining positions require upgrades at least. We NEED another OLB to bookend with Bud. CB has to be upgraded. The guys got better as the season went on, but they still aren't a good unit. Safety and iLB need solid upgrade also. VW is a great backup, but he's no Timmons. And Timmons, if kept, is falling off. I think the same can be said about Mitchell. So if I made a list of my top 5 positions of need TODAY, it would be....
1. OLB, pass rush is the biggest need on this team right now.
2. CB, this group is better, still not good.
3. ILB, could swap 3&4 both have diminished veterans and a promising rookie. Needs quality depth/upgrade desperately.
4. Safety, see 3 above.
5. TE, this position may move up, or off the list depending on the health of Green. Still need that blocking/red zone monster type.

BurghBoy412
03-04-2017, 03:00 PM
secondary secondary secondary

Mojouw
03-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Highest ceiling player available in each round. I don't really care which player, if any, contributes the most in 2017. I want the player who is going to get named to multiple all-pro teams.

Now if the talent levels are equivalent, then take "need". But I'm never drafting a CB because I need one after the top 6 guys already went in round one if there is a HOF OT on the board.

GBMelBlount
03-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Highest ceiling player available in each round.

I don't really care which player, if any, contributes the most in 2017. I want the player who is going to get named to multiple all-pro teams.

Now if the talent levels are equivalent, then take "need". But I'm never drafting a CB because I need one after the top 6 guys already went in round one if there is a HOF OT on the board.

I think we are fortunate.

Similar to last year, the deepest positions in this draft match up very well with our needs.

So I think we have an opportunity to pick 4 VERY talented players at positions of high need with our first 4 picks.

I am pretty excited to see how this draft pans out. Hopefully it is similar to this past one.

Born2Steel
03-11-2017, 12:06 PM
ILB may now be more, or equal, in need than OLB. Now that Timmons is gone. We need to pull some LBs in this draft. Survive another season with Ben, AB, Bell, DWill, and Bryant? Hopefully another player or 2 steps up offensively? Draft 2 ILBs, 2 OLBs, 2 DBs, 1DL, and 1 QB?

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2017, 12:21 PM
ILB may now be more, or equal, in need than OLB. Now that Timmons is gone. We need to pull some LBs in this draft. Survive another season with Ben, AB, Bell, DWill, and Bryant? Hopefully another player or 2 steps up offensively? Draft 2 ILBs, 2 OLBs, 2 DBs, 1DL, and 1 QB?

No it's not. Not even close. If we had to go into next season without Timmons or without Dupree/Harrison, would you feel equally about those? I doubt it. We have more depth at ILB to absorb the loss of Timmons much more so than we have depth at OLB to absorb the loss of Bud Dupree or Harrison. Steven Johnson has started some games. Matakevich has taken significant snaps on defense already. Vince has started a ton of games and acquitted himself pretty well. He actually has some outstanding games on his resume. Likely to be dropoff? Of course, but its a loss we can mitigate. If Dupree or Harrison goes down, its Moats and Chickillo. That went horribly this past season, so horribly we were on pace to finish near last in the league in sacks, and theres hardly any guarantee a rookie will be able to mask that deficiency

If we grab a guy like Haason Reddick or Reuben Foster, i love it. But it wont be because ILB is as big of a need as OLB. Thats just an outstanding BPA pick that also happens to patch up the ILB spot next to Shazier

Born2Steel
03-11-2017, 12:43 PM
No it's not. Not even close. If we had to go into next season without Timmons or without Dupree/Harrison, would you feel equally about those? I doubt it. We have more depth at ILB to absorb the loss of Timmons much more so than we have depth at OLB to absorb the loss of Bud Dupree or Harrison. Steven Johnson has started some games. Matakevich has taken significant snaps on defense already. Vince has started a ton of games and acquitted himself pretty well. He actually has some outstanding games on his resume. Likely to be dropoff? Of course, but its a loss we can mitigate. If Dupree or Harrison goes down, its Moats and Chickillo. That went horribly this past season, so horribly we were on pace to finish near last in the league in sacks, and theres hardly any guarantee a rookie will be able to mask that deficiency

If we grab a guy like Haason Reddick or Reuben Foster, i love it. But it wont be because ILB is as big of a need as OLB. Thats just an outstanding BPA pick that also happens to patch up the ILB spot next to Shazier

I see it as closer than you do apparently. I have no more faith in Johnson or Matakevich, than I do in Moats or Chickillo. I have more confidence in Bud and James, than in Vince and Ryan, today.

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2017, 01:17 PM
I see it as closer than you do apparently. I have no more faith in Johnson or Matakevich, than I do in Moats or Chickillo. I have more confidence in Bud and James, than in Vince and Ryan, today.

free agency isnt all about keeping all of your good players and letting the bad ones walk. its also about deciding which "good player" losses you can mitigate the most while fiscally responsible. Letting Timmons walk and starting Vince/rookie ILB and Ryan is lot less risky than Dupree and rookie OLB/Chickillo/Moats

Chris Hope to Ryan Clark.
Mike Wallace to Antonio Brown.
Emmanuel Sanders to Martavis Bryant/Markus Wheaton.
Kelvin Beachum to Alejandro Villanueva.

We lose good players for good reason all the time

Born2Steel
03-11-2017, 03:31 PM
free agency isnt all about keeping all of your good players and letting the bad ones walk. its also about deciding which "good player" losses you can mitigate the most while fiscally responsible. Letting Timmons walk and starting Vince/rookie ILB and Ryan is lot less risky than Dupree and rookie OLB/Chickillo/Moats

Chris Hope to Ryan Clark.
Mike Wallace to Antonio Brown.
Emmanuel Sanders to Martavis Bryant/Markus Wheaton.
Kelvin Beachum to Alejandro Villanueva.

We lose good players for good reason all the time

I am merely referring to how it lines up right now. If we head into next season with this lineup, we are essentially thin at all LB spots. Equally thin.

Steeldude
03-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Here are the least important positions to address in the draft this year.

RB
QB
P
K

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Here are the least important positions to address in the draft this year.

RB
QB
P
K

Who's our backup RB? Right now it's Frenchy and he's not very good.

Mojouw
03-12-2017, 07:17 PM

Back-up RBs are a dime a dozen. Not necessary to burn a draft pick to find one.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Back-up RBs are a dime a dozen. Not necessary to burn a draft pick to find one.There pretty darn important to the Steelers because they eventually become starters at playoff time.

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Back-up RBs are a dime a dozen. Not necessary to burn a draft pick to find one.

not when you have the best RB in the league who is oft injured or suspended. thats a lot of production to replace

03-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Oh and they usually start the season for us the first couple games lol.

Mojouw
03-12-2017, 07:51 PM
There pretty darn important to the Steelers because they eventually become starters at playoff time.

Sure. But between now and training camp any NFL team can find 2-4 qualified back-up RBs laying around as FAs.

03-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Sure. But between now and training camp any NFL team can find 2-4 qualified back-up RBs laying around as FAs. While we are on the subject wouldn't mind bringing in Charles for a look. If he he still has game then he is a good back up to Bell with his pass catching skills.

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2017, 08:42 PM
not when you have the best RB in the league who is oft injured or suspended. thats a lot of production to replace

Exactly. We've also done a very poor job of finding backup RBs outside of DWill. Everyone else that we've signed has pretty much sucked, just like Frenchy.

We need a capable backup that can take some of the load off of Bell, even if he's healthy. I don't want him getting 30 carries a game.

Mojouw
03-12-2017, 09:05 PM
This is the 20th ranked RB on NFL.com - https://youtu.be/xFgzHaPR0Hw

This is the 24th ranked RB on NFL.com - https://youtu.be/fnO9T61TeFg

In the last 3 drafts, the 20th + running back selected is a 7th round pick.

This is a quick list of guys that are still waiting even a contract offer in the NFL:

DWill
Cunningham
Lacy
Burkhead
Charles
McFadden
Knile Davis
Christine Michel
Stepfan Taylor
Latavius Murray

That doesn't even count all the dudes currently on Pratice Squads that will shake loose prior to training camps. Maybe David Cobb gets brought back.

Bottom line, it isn't hard to find decent-ish back-up RBs with a minimal investment.

03-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Knile Davis is another intriguing KC rb that did well splitting time with Charles and also good at kick returns. For some reason had fail into fat ass Reid's dog house the last two season. He would be the perfect Steeler FA signing. Under the radar and can be had cheap with upside. Ps Murray will be out of the price range and would pass on him.

steelreserve
03-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Both LB positions and both DB positions are high up there, but fortunately, I think we have at least OK starting talent at all of them this year, so we don't have to go boom-or-bust. Even a guy who can come off the bench in 2017 and be a future starter would work all right.

Personally I'd like to see the best available DB whether it's at CB or safety ... there are also always one or two of those super athletic safety/LB hybrid players and this might be the time to take a chance on one of them.

I think if we want to address anything in free agency, out of those positions it's usually easiest and cheapest to get a mid range ILB for depth, and it wouldn't hurt to do the same for DL. Then that narrows down our draft needs to two or three that are real "must" priorities.

Steeldude
03-12-2017, 10:37 PM

He doesn't have a lot of playing time to see if he is not very good. He has shown ability in the limited amount of carries given to him. The running game is won by the O-line. There is plenty of time to find a RB on the FA list.

If they pick a RB I hope it's after the 5th round.

03-12-2017, 11:35 PM
He doesn't have a lot of playing time to see if he is not very good. He has shown ability in the limited amount of carries given to him. The running game is won by the O-line. There is plenty of time to find a RB on the FA list.

If they pick a RB I hope it's after the 5th round. Seen enough of him in regular game and preseason's that would not have him other then the 3rd string rb at all times. He is another one of the players that have no upside like Landry Jones yet we still keep them around each year.

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Seen enough of him in regular game and preseason's that would not have him other then the 3rd string rb at all times. He is another one of the players that have no upside like Landry Jones yet we still keep them around each year.

I agree. He hasn't shown any ability. I'd take pretty much any of the FA HBs over him, especially Cunningham, Burkhead and Davis.

Born2Steel
03-13-2017, 08:59 AM
A very real concern with Bell is not just time missed, but also how the league continues to adjust. We need that change of pace guy that can come in and carry at least half the work load for when teams are stopping Bell. I don't really care if we draft a guy, or grab one in FA. I feel that we do need another RB though. I like the ideas of having another "Bus" style bruiser, as well as the 'waterbug', Sproles style guy. I don't think we need both, but I do think we need to add one or the other. I was actually happy when they added Blount. We need to utilize somebody with those skills other than just Bell, IMO.

BlackAndGold
03-13-2017, 09:33 AM
I expect a RB to be drafted in the first 4 rounds, they wanted one in last years draft but wasn't able to trade up.

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2017, 10:29 AM
do you guys think were more interested in Samaje Perine or Joe Mixon? We've been eyeballing the Oklahoma backs quite a bit throughout the process. I like Samaje Perine less than i did before after he turn in a 4.65 40. thats a bit alarming even if he is 233lb

Born2Steel
03-13-2017, 10:46 AM
do you guys think were more interested in Samaje Perine or Joe Mixon? We've been eyeballing the Oklahoma backs quite a bit throughout the process. I like Samaje Perine less than i did before after he turn in a 4.65 40. thats a bit alarming even if he is 233lb

I like both. Mixon is the better all around guy. Perine would be the most likely if we drafted one of those 2, IMO. Love the size, ability to catch, and he's quick enough in space that I'm not really worried about his straight line speed.

steelreserve
03-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Seen enough of him in regular game and preseason's that would not have him other then the 3rd string rb at all times. He is another one of the players that have no upside like Landry Jones yet we still keep them around each year.

I agree. He hasn't shown any ability. I'd take pretty much any of the FA HBs over him, especially Cunningham, Burkhead and Davis.

He reminds me of that Jonathan Dwyer-Isaac Redman level of back ... looks just good enough in spots that you think you might have something, but it's just a bunch of meh. Still, he's serviceable in case of emergency.

Two ways this could play out - either we get another mid-range guy to be the #2, or if we're being super-aggressive elsewhere, we go with Frenchy as our #2 and put the money toward a defensive free agent. Then probably draft a running back in like the 6th round to fill out the depth chart.

At least RB isn't like cornerback; in the worst case, you can sign a guy in preseason or even the middle of the season, and he can still come in and run some basic plays and be effective.

st33lersguy
04-26-2017, 06:28 PM
I am updating my rankings of all Steelers positions from most in need to least in need the day before the draft. Descriptions will be based on what was or wasn't done since free agency

1. Outside Linebacker: Given that tomorrow's draft will provide a deep class of edge rushers, the Steelers passed on the position in free agency. A player drafted to be Harrison's eventual placement and can provide depth is expected early

2. Cornerback: Steelers did add a CB in free agency, Coty Sensebaugh who figures to just provide depth. Though when guys like Dre Kirkpatrick and Logan Ryan are costing teams $10 mil a year plus to sign, you're better off using a DEEP draft class to upgrade the position

3. Safety: Like OLB, a S was not acquired during the free agency period, and like OLB, and CB, the draft is very deep at the position. Isn't it great when the draft's deepest positions are what your team needs the most? A guy who can play free safety would be preferable, so Sean Davis can stay at strong safety when the draft pick replaces Mike Mitchell or beats him out for the starting job

4. Quarterback: The highest rated position of need that does not have a deep class. The re-signing of Landry Jones didn't impact this ranking neither did Ben officially announce his return since I anticipated his return and since it is still unknown how long Ben will play

5. Tight end: The biggest news to come out of the tight end position was the re-signing of David Johnson. Would not mind a TE who could block starting in the 3rd round that could provide more production than Jesse James if Green can't play

6. Inside Linebacker: The first change from my pre-free agency rankings. Timmons is officially a Dolphin and no one in free agency was added. Honestly, I was close to putting this above TE, but I am just higher on Vince Williams than LaDarius Green and Jesse James. If their interest in Hightower is any indication, they have interest in adding one in the draft to provide some depth

7. Running back: The Steelers officially announced that DeAngelo Williams would not be re-signed, but they got younger at backup RB by getting Knile Davis hence the drop below ILB. A day 3 selection to supplant Frenchy would be nice

8. Defensive line: Tyson Alualu adds to what is already a deep position on the team

9. Offensive line: I considered keeping O-line at the bottom spot since all of their o-linemen from a stacked group were retained but....

10. Wide Receiver: Wide receiver supplants o-line at the bottom of the position. After weeks of dicking around, the league office finally reinstated Bryant yesterday removing uncertainty at the position. With Bryant back in the fold WR itself is pretty stacked and I also think WR has more depth than O-line. Justin Hunter was also added which adds to the depth