PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall???

StillCurtains
03-03-2017, 03:25 AM
Hello Guys!

Word is out that Brandon Marshall is to be cut by the Jets and he put out a goodbye and thank you statement to the organization and it's fans.

It has been said that the Ravens have high interest in him. I personally hope he doesn't land there as I feel that he can make some noise with that team. I know he's not what he was but was very productive just 2 seasons ago.

I truthfuly would like the Steelers to pick him up. Before anyone starts to criticize just hear me out. For starters the guy is from the area and is a Steeler fan.

Marshall is also a skilled, smart and polished veteran with size and sure hands. He would not only have a chance to catch passes from an elite QB for the first time in his career, but also have a great opportunity to be in the postseason for the first time in his career. Those aforementioed reasons may be good enough for him to be willing to take on a lesser role.

Let's face it, Wheaton will not be getting a new contract. That would leave us with Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Heyward Bey and Hamilton.

Hamilton is not truly ready or polished enough to be a true contributor. Heyward Bey is serviceable, but not a great route runner. His hands are average as well. He needs to be kept on the roster however for his elite special teams play.

Coates has potential but his route tree needs work. He also is poor in fighting for contested balls. The question also remains if his penchant for drops more due to his skillset or his broken fingers?

Rogers is an excellent quick and shifty route runner with good hands. He's basically only suited for the slot though as he really doesn't possess the size and speed to play outside if called upon.

Bryant... Well, will Goodell reinstate him? If he is reinstated can he be depended on to keep his act together? Noone really knows. We also have to consider the posibility of an injury to someone like AB or Bryant for several games.

If something like that were to happen, I feel that Marshall playing opposite of Bryant or opposite of AB due to injury would look much better than what we have being that there are some noticeable inconsistencies with all of them.

Just my opinion.

Buckinnuts
03-03-2017, 05:59 AM
pass on marshall, hamilton i think has a better grasp than coates...excuses and all of fingers groin and whatever...hope bryant realy cleans up...bey..i would let go ..promote Ayers to replace him.....just my 2€

BlackAndGold
03-03-2017, 07:12 AM
I'd love if Marshall came here.

He's 33 years old, never played in the playoffs, he's from Pittsburgh...maybe he would come here on a pay cut?

86WARD
03-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Marshall would have to come at a reasonable price which he will not.

Bryant Clean and Healthy >>>>>>>>>>> Brandon Marshall 2017. Marshall is bordering on that WR area where they fall of the planet...most recently Andre Johnson.

steelerdude15
03-03-2017, 09:16 AM
I don't think the Steelers really need him nor do I think they would be willing to pay a lot of money for him unless he was okay with receiving a smaller amount of money.

Plus, we already had Antonio, Marty (if he's reinstated), Eli, Hey-Bey, Sammie, Demarcus, and Cobi. We have enough depth at the receiver position.

Born2Steel
03-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Considering how our "depth" performed in the AFCCG, I'm willing to kick the tires on Marshall.

Mojouw
03-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Coates caught 42% of his targets. Marshall caught 46%.

For many Coates' injury(s?) was/is not an acceptable excuse for posting that type of line as a WR.

What is Marshall's excuse? Last few seasons, dude has been dropping a lot of balls. Anything belwo 60% takes him out of the "sure hands" category.

polamalubeast
03-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Coates caught 42% of his targets. Marshall caught 46%.

For many Coates' injury(s?) was/is not an acceptable excuse for posting that type of line as a WR.

What is Marshall's excuse? Last few seasons, dude has been dropping a lot of balls. Anything belwo 60% takes him out of the "sure hands" category.

Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Mojouw
03-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Could be. I didn't watch any Jets games - because they are awful.

My point is, why excuse one player's performance, but not anothers? It is interesting how perceptions can influence our opinions on options for the roster.

Figure AB and Bryant are "locks" for the roster. That is 2 out of 5. Who are the other 3? DHB likely gets a spot due to his speed and role on ST. Rodgers gets one because of his ability to run out of the slot.

So now that means you have Coates, Ayers, Hamilton, Severin, and a likely later draft pick competing for one (maybe 2 if they carry six WRs) spot plus the practice squad.

I would rather make the bet on a healthy Coates and Severin (sp?) being able to do what Marshall can do then pay Marshall.

But that is my bias coming out. I would always, well almost always, bet on the younger player.

steelreserve
03-03-2017, 11:08 AM
I guess it'd be worth a shot for cheap. As far as #1 and #2 receivers go, we have AB and Bryant plus a bunch of trash-tier guys, and it's no guarantee we'll have Bryant.

So basically no depth at all, maybe negative depth if Bryant can't put the bong down (this is about the time of year he usually gets busted).

Who knows if Marshall would be the answer, but looking at what we've got behind our first couple of guys, one thing for certain is that it wouldn't be any worse.

pczach
03-03-2017, 12:09 PM
pass on marshall, hamilton i think has a better grasp than coates...excuses and all of fingers groin and whatever...hope bryant realy cleans up...bey..i would let go ..promote Ayers to replace him.....just my 2€

What has convinced you that Hamilton has a better grasp than Coates?

Was it the way Hamilton dropped two touchdowns and a two point conversion against the Patriots with no injury excuses?

Born2Steel
03-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Could be. I didn't watch any Jets games - because they are awful.

My point is, why excuse one player's performance, but not anothers? It is interesting how perceptions can influence our opinions on options for the roster.

Figure AB and Bryant are "locks" for the roster. That is 2 out of 5. Who are the other 3? DHB likely gets a spot due to his speed and role on ST. Rodgers gets one because of his ability to run out of the slot.

So now that means you have Coates, Ayers, Hamilton, Severin, and a likely later draft pick competing for one (maybe 2 if they carry six WRs) spot plus the practice squad.

I would rather make the bet on a healthy Coates and Severin (sp?) being able to do what Marshall can do then pay Marshall.

But that is my bias coming out. I would always, well almost always, bet on the younger player.

You feel Wheaton is gone then? I still have him as the #3. So, if we have AB(SOLID), Bryant(Guessing), Wheaton(Maybe), DHB(ST), Coates(SOLID), Rogers(SOLID), Ayers(ST), Hamilton(SOLID), and Severin(PS), what does Marshall bring? I don't know if he can bring anything. What if he were brought into TC to compete with the young guns + draft pick? I agree the odds are against it, but why throw away any opportunity at this point? We need an upgrade at WR.

steelerdude15
03-03-2017, 12:32 PM
You feel Wheaton is gone then? I still have him as the #3. So, if we have AB(SOLID), Bryant(Guessing), Wheaton(Maybe), DHB(ST), Coates(SOLID), Rogers(SOLID), Ayers(ST), Hamilton(SOLID), and Severin(PS), what does Marshall bring? I don't know if he can bring anything. What if he were brought into TC to compete with the young guns + draft pick? I agree the odds are against it, but why throw away any opportunity at this point? We need an upgrade at WR.

From everything that is being stated by the media, it sounds like Wheaton is gone. Eli can take his place in the slot.

Mojouw
03-03-2017, 12:47 PM
I totally forgot about Wheaton! Maybe think about it this way. Assuming that Bryant comes back and looks as dominant as he did before his suspensions - the Steelers are looking for a #3 guy.

Wheaton and Marshall are both FA's. Who fills that role better and will come cheaper? Sign that guy?

Born2Steel
03-03-2017, 01:33 PM
I totally forgot about Wheaton! Maybe think about it this way. Assuming that Bryant comes back and looks as dominant as he did before his suspensions - the Steelers are looking for a #3 guy.

Wheaton and Marshall are both FA's. Who fills that role better and will come cheaper? Sign that guy?

Exactly. Rogers and Hamilton let us down in the AFCCG, IMO. Not counting either of them as a #3 yet. Coates is the #3 over them, or even DHB.

Mojouw
03-03-2017, 01:41 PM
I think AB, Bryant, Rodgers, and Coates are locks to make the final roster and have a role next season.

That means you have Ayers competing to show he can be the back-up to the slot guy. DHB demonstrating that he still brings enough to the table overall to justify a spot. Then you have Hamilton and Severin competing to be the "bigger bodied" possession guy.

Then you could look at a FA (Wheaton, Marshall, etc) as a potential veteran experienced NFL presence to solidify a WR corps who we have all seen to be susceptible to poor performance due to inexperience.

For me Hamilton is just a guy and can be let go at any point. Not sure what to think about who is better between Rodgers and Ayers. If they do bring in a FA, I want a guy that can go make that contested catch over the middle. So maybe I do want Marshall....I don't know.

I do think that "style" of WR is what is missing. AB is amazing and in class by himself.

Coates, Bryant, DHB all are the speedster with suspect hands types.

Wheaton, Rodgers, Ayers are all the little shifty guy.

Hamilton and Severin are the only ones on the roster that fill that bigger possession move the chains type. Not sure if either of them is really read for prime time though. Or even any good. But it is what is missing in the mix at WR.

st33lersguy
03-03-2017, 02:20 PM
You try and re-sign wheaton rather than go after Marshall. Younger, cheaper, and has been on the team.

Shoes
03-03-2017, 02:49 PM
I don't think so, drops to many balls and has an attitude. Steelers will draft a WR.

86WARD
03-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Rogers was damned good for being what he was. He's only going to get better. I think it's safe to say he is a lock for the roster if he plays at the level he did last season.

Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates, Hamilton and DHB will be on the roster.

Psycho Ward 86
03-03-2017, 05:32 PM
why overpay for a position player who is:

1) Past his prime
2) Will have his playing time limited with so many other good receivers on the team
3) Be costly when we'll barely have room when were done with our re-signings and extensions
4) Old
5) Becoming injury prone
6) Plays a position that the Steelers are THE best team in the league at procuring talent from

I don't understand.

Born2Steel
03-03-2017, 05:46 PM
why overpay for a position player who is:

1) Past his prime
2) Will have his playing time limited with so many other good receivers on the team
3) Be costly when we'll barely have room when were done with our re-signings and extensions
4) Old
5) Becoming injury prone
6) Plays a position that the Steelers are THE best team in the league at procuring talent from

I don't understand.

Who said anything about "overpay". Would you consider Marshall at any price?

Psycho Ward 86
03-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Who said anything about "overpay". Would you consider Marshall at any price?

I expect him to be an intermediate level free agent signing for somebody ($5-8ish million per season, probably somewhere in the middle there). So no I wouldnt, unless by small miracle he would be willing to come for substantially lower and that would be stupid on his part. Antonio is the best in the league. If Bryant isnt reinstated, it would be just unprecedented and Goodell is all about turning this league into a real life Madden game anyways so i fully expect him to be back (albeit, not anytime soon so that Goodell can pretend to mull it over). Rogers did well as a slot receiver for us. If he hadnt gotten hurt, he would have had season stats prorated to 57 receptions, 705 yards, 3-4 TD's. And thats as a rookie. For such a young guy he did admirably well, even if he fucked up in the AFCCG (but that happened to a lot of our players didnt it?). Going against the #1 defense is no easy task as a rookie. Hes only going to get better, especially with Bryant taking the top off the defenses and a healthy Coates.

Marshall's path to playing time here would be at best as the #3 in the slot. No doubt he would be a good chain mover and a good red zone target that we need. But having him here is just too much other talent sitting on the bench at a much lower price. Id love him here if we had more cap space

st33lersguy
03-03-2017, 06:49 PM
In general, it is never wise to shell out a noticeable amount of money to aging vets past their prime, and yes Marshall's ego combined with a poorly run franchise with desperate for a WR offering Marshall a lot of money will drive up his price tag a lot more than he is worth.

StillCurtains
03-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Some of you see where I am coming from here and some of you don't.
I laid out the fact in the post of Marshall having a diminished role with the team which equates to coming cheaper.
I never stated anything about him being a starter.

With what I posted as to him being from here, being a Steeler fan, never having a QB and never playing in the postseason he just may be willing to come for cheap. Who knows?
What I am saying is if he is willing under them circumstances then I would do it.

I like Wheaton but I believe the Steelers have given up on him.
I also mentioned if AB or Bryant (If he can get back) would have to miss games due to injury, Marshall would be a good fill in to start until they got back.

Eli Rogers is very good in the slot but would not produce well starting on the outside.
Hey Bey is not starter level material. He's a complimentary receiver that can make 2 to 3 plays a game when teams are focusing too much on AB and Bryant.

Coates? Very much the same as Hey Bey at this point. A 2 to 3 play a game guy. Not starter material. Hands are not great broken or not. Needs to also improve his route tree.

Hamilton? Truly can only make plays at this point if he is truly forgotten on the field by the defense. As it has been mentioned, He and Coates were atrocious in the AFCCG. Neither did much in the WC or DIV playoff games either.
Hamilton is a practice squad receiver for a reason.

Ayers? A watered down version of Rogers who can make 2 to 3 plays a game in the slot. Not at all Starter material that you can start on the outside.

The true reason for considering Marshall is having a huge depth guy that can start if AB or Bryant went down.As mentioned by others, after watching the playoffs, who can you trust to start if needed, because as we've learned last year backups are one injury away from starting and it wasn't pretty last year.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
03-03-2017, 09:10 PM
I think Marshall would thrive here trying to keep up with Brown and his competitive nature would come out. Also insurance in case MB don't have his head together and good insurance. Of course at a decent price though.

DesertSteel
03-03-2017, 10:12 PM
No way!!!! NO WAY!!!!

Ok.... Now that the normal board response is out of the way... heck yeah! He's a great WR with a couple-three years left if he's with a good QB. Pay him the money! Might be had on the cheap since he's 32 and wants to play for a winner.

- - - Updated - - -

You try and re-sign wheat I rather than go after Marshall. Younger, cheaper, and has been on the team.
Yes... Wheaton > Marshall

ROFL

st33lersguy
03-03-2017, 10:48 PM
No way!!!! NO WAY!!!!

Ok.... Now that the normal board response is out of the way... heck yeah! He's a great WR with a couple-three years left if he's with a good QB. Pay him the money! Might be had on the cheap since he's 32 and wants to play for a winner.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes... Wheaton > Marshall

ROFL

Umm, I never said Wheaton was better than Marshall, I said it would be smarter to re-sign him for the reasons above. Plus Marshall and his ego will command a ton of money, money better served used on re-signing players such as AV, Shazier, and Tuitt

pczach
03-04-2017, 06:48 AM
I think anything is possible if they can get him cheap enough. That is the only way getting him makes any sense.

To pay a 33 year-old receiver $8 mil a year is ridiculous....but if he came here cheap enough and they were still able to address their needs, I guess that would be alright.

What I'm saying is that I don't know that they should use money on a FA wide receiver if they can be using it towards a FA edge rusher or secondary player that can impact the team more.

86WARD
03-04-2017, 02:33 PM
He's not the type that would want to come here, play for cheap and take a back seat to Bell, Brown and Bryant. Although he does have a "BR" in his name...so it could be destiny...lol.

Psycho Ward 86
03-04-2017, 04:34 PM
hmm.... Sportrac.com is projecting Brandon's market value at 2 years for $9,808,639 million. At that pricetag im interested. Still leaning a bit towards no but interested nonetheless. Honestly i fully expect Coates to have a good #3 season based on what he was able to do against starting cornerbacks while healthy in his first 5 games. He wont even have to play against them as much with Bryant most likely reinstated.

In addition, Rogers had a fantastic rookie season. Compare his rookie season to Manny Sanders and Antonio Brown. Remember how excited we were about those 2 for their rookie performances? Rogers had more receptions, receiving yards, and touchdowns than both of them...combined. I see no reason why he wont continue to take the next step. Especially with a healthy Coates and Bryant diverting attention away from him.

Then theres the tight end situation. Jesse James is probably never going to be great, but he could continue to be good. He has made sizable progress, and we've interviewed more tight ends this offseason than any other position so we'll probably have a damn good one by the time the season starts.

Theres just too many targets to pass around for Marshall to be worth it. If we had more cap space this would be a no brainer though

Born2Steel
03-04-2017, 04:48 PM
hmm.... Sportrac.com is projecting Brandon's market value at 2 years for $9,808,639 million. At that pricetag im interested. Still leaning a bit towards no but interested nonetheless. Honestly i fully expect Coates to have a good #3 season based on what he was able to do against starting cornerbacks while healthy in his first 5 games. He wont even have to play against them as much with Bryant most likely reinstated.

In addition, Rogers had a fantastic rookie season. Compare his rookie season to Manny Sanders and Antonio Brown. Remember how excited we were about those 2 for their rookie performances? Rogers had more receptions, receiving yards, and touchdowns than both of them...combined. I see no reason why he wont continue to take the next step. Especially with a healthy Coates and Bryant diverting attention away from him.

Then theres the tight end situation. Jesse James is probably never going to be great, but he could continue to be good. He has made sizable progress, and we've interviewed more tight ends this offseason than any other position so we'll probably have a damn good one by the time the season starts.

Theres just too many targets to pass around for Marshall to be worth it. If we had more cap space this would be a no brainer though

I can see what you're saying. I don't disagree. Keep in mind most of what you're saying here is unknown though. We can ASSUME Bryant will return and play well, Coates will play well when healthy again, Rogers will continue to improve and impress, JJ can get better, and we will draft a probowl TE this year. I don't think we need Marshall, I really don't. But what if none of this speculation comes to pass, or even half of it? I think we still need upgrades on offense. If Marshall were to only play red zone snaps, for example, would he be worthy of $10mil? That's really all of the load i would think we need from him. We already move at will between the 20s. So we don't really need him to be a playmaker. I would rather draft a huge a TE with great playmaking ability, and a bruiser style RB. But I'm willing to bring Marshall in and see what's what. Maybe offer 1 year for $5Mil, until we make sure those other plans actually work out.

Psycho Ward 86
03-04-2017, 05:04 PM
I can see what you're saying. I don't disagree. Keep in mind most of what you're saying here is unknown though. We can ASSUME Bryant will return and play well, Coates will play well when healthy again, Rogers will continue to improve and impress, JJ can get better, and we will draft a probowl TE this year. I don't think we need Marshall, I really don't. But what if none of this speculation comes to pass, or even half of it? I think we still need upgrades on offense. If Marshall were to only play red zone snaps, for example, would he be worthy of $10mil? That's really all of the load i would think we need from him. We already move at will between the 20s. So we don't really need him to be a playmaker. I would rather draft a huge a TE with great playmaking ability, and a bruiser style RB. But I'm willing to bring Marshall in and see what's what. Maybe offer 1 year for $5Mil, until we make sure those other plans actually work out.

i would take him in a heartbeat for a year at $5 million. Yeah, his red zone value alone will be a huge boon for us. Between our mystery red zone tight end, Antonio Brown, Bell, Bryant, and Marshall, every defense is fucked inside the 20.

Im just trying to figure out where the money situation. Currently, with Ryan Harris retiring, we sit at $13.6 million in cap space if we include all 53 players. That figure also includes the $3.2 million in cap space we rolled over from last season. Our projected cap hit from rookies for this upcoming draft is $5.8 million, bringing our cap space down to $7.8 million. We usually keep about $3 million on reserve for the regular season incase of injuries (brings us down to $4.8 million).

Out of the free agents left out there, it seems like only Landry Jones and Timmons are left as far as guys that are a near certainty to be re-signed. Anyone care to take a stab at what their contracts and numbers will look like? Then theres also the decent chance that Bell gets his extension and has his cap hit brought down a little. I wonder how much space we have left in this scenario

I encourage everyone to take a look: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/

Iron Steeler
03-05-2017, 07:44 AM
I would take him in heart beat. Insurance for martavis bryant .

If all are healthy or not suspended. Brown, bryant, and marshall!!

Marshall and bryant on the ends and brown in the slot?

So much you could do

Psycho Ward 86
03-05-2017, 10:03 AM
I would take him in heart beat. Insurance for martavis bryant .

If all are healthy or not suspended. Brown, bryant, and marshall!!

Marshall and bryant on the ends and brown in the slot?

So much you could do

Brown has played something like 15-20% of his snaps at the slot position the past 2 seasons (theres a Steelersdepot article on that somewhere). He's too fast to spend a lot of time there. Marshall on the other hand has never been an afterburner, and hes just a big body designed to be in traffic. Either way, beautiful stuff

polamalubeast
03-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Brandon Marshall pleads allegiance to Steelers

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Brandon-Marshall-pleads-allegiance-to-Steelers-51631921

Psycho Ward 86
03-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Brandon Marshall pleads allegiance to Steelers

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Brandon-Marshall-pleads-allegiance-to-Steelers-51631921

these self-pitches never works. but im encouraged that he really wants to have a go here. Brown, Bryant, Bell, Marshall, Rogers, Coates, Green would be a stupid amount of firepower

steelcityboyz
03-06-2017, 04:05 PM
I would love to have Marshall in the offense, but I think we need a top notch corner more than a WR at this time.

st33lersguy
03-08-2017, 09:21 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000791338/article/brandon-marshall-agrees-to-terms-with-new-york-giants

Marshall is staying in New York

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2017, 09:29 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000791338/article/brandon-marshall-agrees-to-terms-with-new-york-giants

Marshall is staying in New York

2 years/$12M. Not a bad price for him.

tube517
03-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Yeah, he's got "Inside the NFL" so it's a no brainer.

86WARD
03-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Good. Now we can move on from that...lol.

EzraTank
03-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Yeah, he's got "Inside the NFL" so it's a no brainer.

Yep, he's not stupid and can see the end of his playing days so he's planning ahead for a TV career. Smart move by him.

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Yep, he's not stupid and can see the end of his playing days so he's planning ahead for a TV career. Smart move by him.

Pretty easy choice for him. The Giants have OBJ at #1 so he can be the #2 WR with a little less pressure and a much better QB than Fitz. The Giants are also a much better team than the Jets and he doesn't have to move.

Born2Steel
03-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Pretty easy choice for him. The Giants have OBJ at #1 so he can be the #2 WR with a little less pressure and a much better QB than Fitz. The Giants are also a much better team than the Jets and he doesn't have to move.

Giants have OBJ, and Shepherd, plus a highly talented defense. If they can add a TE/running game, they will be a scary team next season. Marshall would be used similar to how I saw him being used here. Red zone money.

SteelerFanInStl
03-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Giants have OBJ, and Shepherd, plus a highly talented defense. If they can add a TE/running game, they will be a scary team next season. Marshall would be used similar to how I saw him being used here. Red zone money.

Yep, their defense was very good last year and will most likely continue to improve. They'll be a really good team with TE/RB like you said.

quistors
03-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Marshal said today steelers were on top of his list. He knew they were super bowl ready and it would've been really fun to play as a steeler but they never contacted him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Marshal said today steelers were on top of his list. He knew they were super bowl ready and it would've been really fun to play as a steeler but they never contacted him

ugh. disappointing. i bet he would have signed for just $1million less a season too

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2017, 03:45 PM

If he were really interested, he could've had his agent contact the Steelers.

quistors
03-09-2017, 03:48 PM
If he were really interested, he could've had his agent contact the Steelers.

He did publicly say right after he was cut he's from the area always been a Steeler fan and all Steeler fans know the loyalty

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2017, 05:49 PM
He did publicly say right after he was cut he's from the area always been a Steeler fan and all Steeler fans know the loyalty

That doesn't mean anything other than he wanted the Steelers to chase him. If he really wanted to play for the Steelers, he would've had his agent contact them. That's what agents do.