PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are heavy into contract negotiations w/ Bell

BlackAndGold
03-02-2017, 05:09 PM

SteelerFanInStl
03-02-2017, 06:55 PM
That scares me a bit. I do think that we should sign him to a long term deal but I'm afraid of what the cost is going to be. We're going to have a lot of $$$$ wrapped up in Brown and Bell.

salamander
03-02-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm all for locking him up long term, but I also I don't want to dump too much money into 2 guys on offense and then neglect other positions.

lipps83
03-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Love Bell, best back in the league, but no, don't want to keep him at such a high cost....yet they will.

Not easily replaceable, but replaceable.

86WARD
03-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Will be nice if they have him locked up,well before the draft...

Mojouw
03-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Ben, Bell, and AB get big money now. As their contracts wind up, big money comes on for guys on rookie deals now. It all works out as long as you keep the talent pipeline through the draft flowing and don't toss money away at FA busts.

Last time they got capped out, they managed to pay around 6 guys on defense premium money and a few guys on offense. Only got sticky when they couldn't develop low cost replacements through the draft for a few key positions.

teegre
03-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Ben, Bell, and AB get big money now. As their contracts wind up, big money comes on for guys on rookie deals now. It all works out as long as you keep the talent pipeline through the draft flowing and don't toss money away at FA busts.

Last time they got capped out, they managed to pay around 6 guys on defense premium money and a few guys on offense. Only got sticky when they couldn't develop low cost replacements through the draft for a few key positions.

Over at SF, we had discussed how if the Steelers had won in 2010, they'd have had a seamless rebuild. First of all, we were all pretty sure that Polamalu, Clark, Taylor, & Keisel would have retired two years (if not four) earlier. Instead, their deals kept getting redone & pushed back... eating up cap space that could have been used elsewhere (free agents).

Exacerbating the situation, the salary cap not going up for two years really bit their plans in the butt.

Mojouw
03-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Over at SF, we had discussed how if the Steelers had won in 2010, they'd have had a seamless rebuild. First of all, we were all pretty sure that Polamalu, Clark, Taylor, & Keisel would have retired two years (if not four) earlier. Instead, their deals kept getting redone & pushed back... eating up cap space that could have been used elsewhere (free agents).

Exacerbating the situation, the salary cap not going up for two years really bit their plans in the butt.

Yeah. I bet the retirements do get accelerated. Bottom line is that cap not going up really bit them in the ass.

BurghBoy412
03-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Get it done. I've never seen a back like him.

AtlantaDan
03-03-2017, 07:49 AM

This is the reporter who claimed Brown was open and sulking in the back of the end zone when he was not thrown the ball in the AFC championship game on a running play near the goal line where Brown did not go past the three yard line while blocking.

So consider her track record on accurate information.

Steelers need to decide whether they are going to bring Timmons back, sign any free agents and decide whether to extend AV (maybe this year) as well as Tuitt (definitely) before they worry about a long term deal with Bell.

steelerdude15
03-03-2017, 09:12 AM
From what I've read, a new contract for Le'Veon is not a top priority at this moment. I would hope that the Steelers would try to resign Lawrence first.

Signing Le'Veon Bell to long-term deal not an immediate priority

On the same day the Steelers signed Antonio Brown to a record contract, they also used the exclusive franchise tag on running back Le’Veon Bell, guaranteeing he will be with them at least one more season.

Bell will earn slightly about $12.12 million in 2017.

The Steelers have until July 15 to sign Bell to a long-term deal, something Colbert said is the team’s intention but will not be an immediate priority. Colbert said the Steelers will focus right now on making decisions on their own free agents and deciding which they can re-sign.

Read More: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/03/01/pittsburgh-steelers-le-veon-bell-franchise-tag-long-term-deal-kevin-colbert/stories/201703010211

Psycho Ward 86
03-03-2017, 11:25 AM
This is the reporter who claimed Brown was open and sulking in the back of the end zone when he was not thrown the ball in the AFC championship game on a running play near the goal line where Brown did not go past the three yard line while blocking.

So consider her track record on accurate information.

Steelers need to decide whether they are going to bring Timmons back, sign any free agents and decide whether to extend AV (maybe this year) as well as Tuitt (definitely) before they worry about a long term deal with Bell.

a track record is longer than 1 point of misinformation lol. Aditi is usually on point, and frequently puts things on the news pipeline before a lot of other people. And at least she immediately corrected her error unlike 99% of other reporters in the sports world