PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Outlook: Will Safety Position be Totally Overhauled in 2 Year Span?

Psycho Ward 86
02-28-2017, 04:41 PM
The times, they are a-changin’.

After years of stability at safety, with Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark becoming an extremely dynamic pair of backend defenders who knew one another so well that they could anticipate each other’s thoughts, Clark eventually gave way to free agent Mike Mitchell. Mitchell has developed a reputation as a hard-hitting safety who makes sometimes-questionable decisions, though the “dirty” part of that reputation is largely undeserved. Still, he’s been an asset at times, and at others a detriment, and is nearing 30 years of age. He’s not cheap: the final two years on his contract will cost the Steelers $8.1 million apiece, thanks to his base salary ballooning from under $1 million to $5 million.

Mitchell’s cohort in the deep defensive backfield is Sean Davis, who is coming off a rookie season that saw him name the Steelers’ Rookie of the Year, a well-deserved honor. Once he became a full-time starter, he made impact plays in nearly every game, and was one of the brightest spots on the team during their nine-game winning streak. The 2016 second-round draft pick is a future star, not just in Pittsburgh, but in the NFL as a whole.

Davis looks to have locked down the strong safety position after a few years of trying to find a replacement for future Hall-of-Famer Polamalu. They are enormous shoes to fill, but Davis is off to a solid start.

But with Mitchell’s advancing years and ballooning salary, it’s possible we could see complete turnover in two years at a position group that was once the most stable on the team.

If there was a year to draft Mitchell’s replacement, it would be now.

Read More: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2017/2/28/14742564/steelers-2017-draft-outlook-safety-completely-overhauled-two-years-mike-mitchell-sean-davis

I've been pounding the table for this conversation all offseason and im not about to stop anytime soon. Mitchell's cap hit for the next 2 seasons is over $8 million and he's the biggest liability on this defense. That is far too expensive to be a liability to the team. This safety class is deep, as it is in many other positions, and an early to mid round draft pick could have a good path to early playing time. A pro-bowl caliber player like Budda Baker is projected to drop as far as the late 3rd round according to some places and im loving it. He could even play slot for us at a high level before replacing Mitchell, or we could cut Mitchell outright and just plug and play Baker. The kid is that good. Thoughts?

st33lersguy
02-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Replacing Mitchell with a high-quality center-fielder could help the defense take the next step, and cutting Mitchell would make sense. As for Baker, if they drafted him in the 1st round, I'd be very happy (I seriously doubt he slips to the 3rd round even in this draft)

Mojouw
02-28-2017, 05:03 PM
I would never say no to an upgrade on Mitchell. But despite the amazing abilities of some of the safeties in this year's draft class, I would really hesitate to plug in a rookie or even a vet FA alongside Davis and throw Mitchell overboard.

For most formations and tactics at an NFL level, the next time they see them it will be the first time for Davis, Burns, and Cockerell. Same goes for Golson or a rookie at slot CB. That is just so much inexperience on the back-end of that defense. Throw a rookie safety into it and any decent QB is just gonna break these dudes brains.

More than anything else, that is what I believe lost the NE game in the playoffs. Forcing the youth on the defense to make split-second make or break decisions.

Taking out the only experienced member of that group is not something that I find appealing for the 2017 season. I do think they need to draft a Mitchell replacement who takes Golden's or Dangerfield's spot in '17 and steps in to a starting role in '18.

Psycho Ward 86
02-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Replacing Mitchell with a high-quality center-fielder could help the defense take the next step, and cutting Mitchell would make sense. As for Baker, if they drafted him in the 1st round, I'd be very happy (I seriously doubt he slips to the 3rd round even in this draft)

I agree with all of this. That would be the most ridiculous value pick ever.

- - - Updated - - -

I would never say no to an upgrade on Mitchell. But despite the amazing abilities of some of the safeties in this year's draft class, I would really hesitate to plug in a rookie or even a vet FA alongside Davis and throw Mitchell overboard.

For most formations and tactics at an NFL level, the next time they see them it will be the first time for Davis, Burns, and Cockerell. Same goes for Golson or a rookie at slot CB. That is just so much inexperience on the back-end of that defense. Throw a rookie safety into it and any decent QB is just gonna break these dudes brains.

More than anything else, that is what I believe lost the NE game in the playoffs. Forcing the youth on the defense to make split-second make or break decisions.

Taking out the only experienced member of that group is not something that I find appealing for the 2017 season. I do think they need to draft a Mitchell replacement who takes Golden's or Dangerfield's spot in '17 and steps in to a starting role in '18.

Yeah thats fair. I think its more realistic to bring our pass rush up to a premium level to compensate for Mitchell's deficiencies but im still hoping for other scenarios. Another scenario that i find tantalizing is bringing in Nolan Carroll or Captain Munnerlyn to lock down the slot incase Golson isnt ready

SteelerFanInStl
02-28-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm not a big fan of Mitchell so I'd be fine with cutting him, provided that we sign a FA replacement for him. I don't think it would be a good idea to throw a rookie in there with all of the rest of the young guys.

Psycho Ward 86
02-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Swap S Tony Jefferson or S DJ Swearinger (both on the cardinals) on the free agency market for Mike Mitchell. Tony will probably will cost about the same thing except Tony Jefferson is a better player. From what I've read, the cardinals essentially have 3 damn good safeties: Tyrann Mathieu, Tony Jefferson, and DJ Swearinger. And they definitely cant keep them all especially with Chandler Jones on the franchise tag and Calais Campbell as a UFA.

DJ Swearinger was probably one of the top free agent bargains out there last season, he only cost $1.6 million. I cant imagine he'll come out with a gigantic deal, but we'd also be grabbing probably a better player for less money if we took him and cut Mike Mitchell

st33lersguy
02-28-2017, 08:58 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788484/article/saints-will-release-jairus-byrd-when-free-agency-begins

Saints are going to release Jarius Byrd

Born2Steel
02-28-2017, 09:57 PM
The times, they are a-changin’.

After years of stability at safety, with Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark becoming an extremely dynamic pair of backend defenders who knew one another so well that they could anticipate each other’s thoughts, Clark eventually gave way to free agent Mike Mitchell. Mitchell has developed a reputation as a hard-hitting safety who makes sometimes-questionable decisions, though the “dirty” part of that reputation is largely undeserved. Still, he’s been an asset at times, and at others a detriment, and is nearing 30 years of age. He’s not cheap: the final two years on his contract will cost the Steelers $8.1 million apiece, thanks to his base salary ballooning from under $1 million to $5 million.

Mitchell’s cohort in the deep defensive backfield is Sean Davis, who is coming off a rookie season that saw him name the Steelers’ Rookie of the Year, a well-deserved honor. Once he became a full-time starter, he made impact plays in nearly every game, and was one of the brightest spots on the team during their nine-game winning streak. The 2016 second-round draft pick is a future star, not just in Pittsburgh, but in the NFL as a whole.

Davis looks to have locked down the strong safety position after a few years of trying to find a replacement for future Hall-of-Famer Polamalu. They are enormous shoes to fill, but Davis is off to a solid start.

But with Mitchell’s advancing years and ballooning salary, it’s possible we could see complete turnover in two years at a position group that was once the most stable on the team.

If there was a year to draft Mitchell’s replacement, it would be now.

Read More: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2017/2/28/14742564/steelers-2017-draft-outlook-safety-completely-overhauled-two-years-mike-mitchell-sean-davis

I've been pounding the table for this conversation all offseason and im not about to stop anytime soon. Mitchell's cap hit for the next 2 seasons is over $8 million and he's the biggest liability on this defense. That is far too expensive to be a liability to the team. This safety class is deep, as it is in many other positions, and an early to mid round draft pick could have a good path to early playing time. A pro-bowl caliber player like Budda Baker is projected to drop as far as the late 3rd round according to some places and im loving it. He could even play slot for us at a high level before replacing Mitchell, or we could cut Mitchell outright and just plug and play Baker. The kid is that good. Thoughts?

This takes us back to the Revis conversation as well. If you brought him in to play centerfield and be the veteran voice/presence in the secondary. What would you pay to make anything happen? What is a reasonable cap for bringing in a FA safety to replace/split time with Mitchell or Davis? We can't let Timmons AND Mitchell walk. You need a veteran presence on this defense. I would say, in this scenario, you cut Timmons, VW becomes the new starter, and put your veteran leaders at safety. Otherwise you draft another rookie to replace Mitchell, Timmons stays.

BlackAndGold
02-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Mike Mitchell played at a pro bowl level this season...

teegre
02-28-2017, 10:20 PM
As I said in the other thread(s)...

I've bashed Mitchell for three seasons. He was a huge downgrade from Ryan Clark. That said, Mitchell played very well in the second half of the season... until the AFCCG :doh:.

My first-round preferences:

2013: Matt Elam
2014: Deone Bucannon
2015: (a non-safety)
2016: Karl Joseph

So, YES, I'm all for drafting a safety early. That said, for reasons that mojouw pointed out, that safety would likely take over in the 2018 season.

Born2Steel
02-28-2017, 10:31 PM
I'm all for drafting a safety also. I just don't like the idea having all rookies/2nd year guys in the secondary without some veteran leadership. If not Mitchell, then who?

teegre
02-28-2017, 10:50 PM
I'm all for drafting a safety also. I just don't like the idea having all rookies/2nd year guys in the secondary without some veteran leadership. If not Mitchell, then who?

This season reminds me of 2003: a transition year. Mitchell plays one more season, and then in 2018, it's all about the young core.

Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor: second year players
Chris Hope: third year player

Safety'17: second year player
Sean Davis, Artie Burns: third year players

Psycho Ward 86
02-28-2017, 11:57 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788484/article/saints-will-release-jairus-byrd-when-free-agency-begins

Saints are going to release Jarius Byrd

old, injury prone, past his prime. could have something left in the tank and surprise, but we would just be throwing up a prayer here. id rather take a calculated risk on a free agent, preferably a low risk like Tony Jefferson or DJ Swearinger

- - - Updated - - -

Mike Mitchell played at a pro bowl level this season...

highly debatable. and he only played above average football in the 2nd half minus the new england game. he really cant be trusted at all unless the front 7 is playing lights out. same reason i wouldnt be terrified if Timmons left. He's been starting extremely slow for many consecutive season before finally picking it up later in the season (which is for naught when teams still exploit your declining coverage skills). Being the glaring weak link on a defense isnt worth a $8 million cap hit

Psycho Ward 86
03-01-2017, 12:03 AM
This takes us back to the Revis conversation as well. If you brought him in to play centerfield and be the veteran voice/presence in the secondary. What would you pay to make anything happen? What is a reasonable cap for bringing in a FA safety to replace/split time with Mitchell or Davis? We can't let Timmons AND Mitchell walk. You need a veteran presence on this defense. I would say, in this scenario, you cut Timmons, VW becomes the new starter, and put your veteran leaders at safety. Otherwise you draft another rookie to replace Mitchell, Timmons stays.

I think its entirely possible that he makes a smooth transition to safety because hes such a cerebral player and loves playing physical, but thats too much speculation for a guy who constantly bitches about his contract and is injury prone. This again, would be another move where were definitely throwing up a prayer. Id probably pay him like $5 million a season if we were very confident in his transition to safety.

A reasonable cap for bringing in a FA safety to replace Mitchell? Depends on how good they are. I would take Tony Jefferson or DJ Swearinger in a heartbeat for the exact same pricetag as Mitchell.I bet we could get one of them for a little less.

We absolutely can let Timmons and Mitchell both walk. We already have veteran presences on this defense: Cameron Heyward and William Gay have asserted roles as leaders for a while now. Ryan Shazier calls our defense anyways and he's entering his 4th season. Were doing just fine in that department. Gay is declining too obviously, but the difference is that he plays a position that were very thin at and his pricetag is so much lower than Mitchell and Timmons

Born2Steel
03-01-2017, 07:47 AM
There is a difference between who gets named team captains before the season, and who is the veteran voice on the field during games. Yes, those 2 are 'veteran leaders' on the defense. Not entirely what I mean here.

Psycho Ward 86
03-01-2017, 09:09 AM
There is a difference between who gets named team captains before the season, and who is the veteran voice on the field during games. Yes, those 2 are 'veteran leaders' on the defense. Not entirely what I mean here.

That still reaffirms what im saying. Ryan Shazier is literally our defensive play caller.

SteelerFanInStl
03-01-2017, 09:12 AM
old, injury prone, past his prime. could have something left in the tank and surprise, but we would just be throwing up a prayer here. id rather take a calculated risk on a free agent, preferably a low risk like Tony Jefferson or DJ Swearinger

I don't know how anyone could call Swearinger low risk. He was cut by the Texans because he didn't perform and he apparently refused to play on special teams. I don't want anyone like that on the Steelers.

Jefferson is good but he's going to command a high salary from someone. That someone shouldn't be us.

Psycho Ward 86
03-01-2017, 09:15 AM
I don't know how anyone could call Swearinger low risk. He was cut by the Texans because he didn't perform and he apparently refused to play on special teams. I don't want anyone like that on the Steelers.

Jefferson is good but he's going to command a high salary from someone. That someone shouldn't be us.

Yikes. Guess we can cross Swearinger off. How high of a salary do you imagine Jefferson getting? I really doubt he can punch his ticket to a contract with a bigger current cap hit than Mitchell right now. And even if he did, it would be down the line of the contract with the salary cap going up

Born2Steel
03-01-2017, 10:33 AM
That still reaffirms what im saying. Ryan Shazier is literally our defensive play caller.

Shazier has been great for us. I really believe he's another star LB for the Steelers. I don't think he counts as veteran leadership though. Which may prove to be a good thing actually. Don't sweat it really, I'm coming in from a completely different angle. I just don't think it's a good idea to let Mitchell AND Timmons both walk this off season. Personally, I think Timmons will retire as a Steeler. But, I have been surprised before.

Mojouw
03-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Swearinger had one good season and that only happened because Mathieu got injured. Jefferson is gonna get PAID in FA. Berry just set the market. Jefferson was PFF's like #6 safety or something last year.

Figure 8-10 million per?

teegre
03-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Before the AFCCG, Mitchell was one of the players chosen to address the media.

As in: He's not going anywhere.

But, it's fun to play GM. Really. That's why I'm on this board mostly.

SteelerFanInStl
03-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Yikes. Guess we can cross Swearinger off. How high of a salary do you imagine Jefferson getting? I really doubt he can punch his ticket to a contract with a bigger current cap hit than Mitchell right now. And even if he did, it would be down the line of the contract with the salary cap going up

There seems to be a lot of interest in Jefferson so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get Mitchell money.

ALLD
03-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Mitchell has heart, but he also gets called on too many PFs at the wrong time.

pczach
03-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Before the AFCCG, Mitchell was one of the players chosen to address the media.

As in: He's not going anywhere.

But, it's fun to play GM. Really. That's why I'm on this board mostly.

Really Teegre?

I thought you came here so you can continue to pick the great football minds that frequent this message board....and force Ozzie to pick players you have a man crush on every........single........year.

Wait.....Let me guess......you found a new safety that you absolutely have to have!

teegre
03-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Really Teegre?

I thought you came here so you can continue to pick the great football minds that frequent this message board....and force Ozzie to pick players you have a man crush on every........single........year.

Wait.....Let me guess......you found a new safety that you absolutely have to have!

The depths of my Machiavellian tactics knows no boundaries. It's all subterfuge and misdirection. I steal your ideas, draft your players, and use both of them against you. Feel my wrath!!!

It reminds me of when I was back in college at Alabama in 1977...

Mojouw
03-01-2017, 10:56 PM
The depths of my Machiavellian tactics knows no boundaries. It's all subterfuge and misdirection. I steal your ideas, draft your players, and use both of them against you. Feel my wrath!!!

It reminds me of when I was back in college at Alabama in 1977...

Look, Ozzie. We know its you. You've been dining out on internet GMs for far too long! We demand our royalty checks!

Craic
03-02-2017, 12:31 AM
highly debatable. and he only played above average football in the 2nd half minus the new england game. he really cant be trusted at all unless the front 7 is playing lights out. same reason i wouldnt be terrified if Timmons left. He's been starting extremely slow for many consecutive season before finally picking it up later in the season (which is for naught when teams still exploit your declining coverage skills). Being the glaring weak link on a defense isnt worth a $8 million cap hit

I gotta disagree with that. Timmons gets ragged on way too much. Fact of the matter is, when he's out of the line up, this defense gets ran on repeatedly. Timmons plugs several holes in the defense- sure, he's not as fast as he once was, but there's no way I want to see him go. Especially not when we still have to find an OLB replacement as well as another CB. Mitchell, meh, we could have worse, a lot worse, but we could have better. I'm willing to keep him another year or two until Sean Davis matures, then let Davis help break in a FS to pair up with him.

Born2Steel
03-02-2017, 09:34 AM
I think its entirely possible that he makes a smooth transition to safety because hes such a cerebral player and loves playing physical, but thats too much speculation for a guy who constantly bitches about his contract and is injury prone. This again, would be another move where were definitely throwing up a prayer. Id probably pay him like $5 million a season if we were very confident in his transition to safety.

A reasonable cap for bringing in a FA safety to replace Mitchell? Depends on how good they are. I would take Tony Jefferson or DJ Swearinger in a heartbeat for the exact same pricetag as Mitchell.I bet we could get one of them for a little less.

We absolutely can let Timmons and Mitchell both walk. We already have veteran presences on this defense: Cameron Heyward and William Gay have asserted roles as leaders for a while now. Ryan Shazier calls our defense anyways and he's entering his 4th season. Were doing just fine in that department. Gay is declining too obviously, but the difference is that he plays a position that were very thin at and his pricetag is so much lower than Mitchell and Timmons

One article I read states the Jets considered moving him to safety but decided he simply costs too much to keep. I think it's very likely Revis would be an all pro at safety after a switch(like the Woodsons). Problem is cost and age. Is it worth the cost for a couple years? Worthy of discussion, but probably not going to happen.

Steel Peon
03-02-2017, 11:34 AM
I know his stats in Carolina made him look like a great acquisition, but I've seen nothing but the opposite from him in Pittsburgh. I don't see this improving any time soon, so the sooner he's gone the happier I'll be.

teegre
03-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Look, Ozzie. We know its you. You've been dining out on internet GMs for far too long! We demand our royalty checks!

You'all owe me... for tricking me into drafting Matt Elam.

:doh:

pczach
03-03-2017, 06:09 PM
You'all owe me... for tricking me into drafting Matt Elam.

:doh:

We give you the best football information money can buy. What you do with it is entirely up to you.

Some of us tried to talk you out of it, but you just couldn't help yourself. :angel:

teegre
03-03-2017, 10:08 PM
We give you the best football information money can buy. What you do with it is entirely up to you.

Some of us tried to talk you out of it, but you just couldn't help yourself. :angel:

Well, once I saw him in a bikini, I had to draft him.

(Insert the photoshopped image of Matt Elam's head on Kate Upton's body.)