PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: Steelers could be interested in Darrelle Revis

vader29
02-24-2017, 04:12 PM
For the right situation, the Steelers could be interested in signing Darrelle Revis for the 2017 season.

Darrelle Revis could be an option for the Pittsburgh Steelers this offseason, according to Peter King of The Monday Morning Quarterback.

This week, King said that, for the right price, the Steelers could be interested in signing Revis, who is surely looking to bounce back after a rocky 2015 campaign. Revis is a seven time Pro Bowler and four time All-Pro.

"I wouldn’t be surprised if the perennially cornerback-needy Steelers could be interested if the price is right, or Green Bay (31st against the pass last year) or New Orleans (32nd)," King wrote. "Revis will have some suitors, to be sure, if the Jets cut him loose … if he skates on the charges in Pittsburgh, and if he still wants to devote time to be great again. Two big ifs as we sit here two weeks prior to the opening day of free agency.

Read more: http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Peter-King-Steelers-could-be-interested-in-Darrelle-Revis-51458650

zulater
02-24-2017, 04:30 PM
I'd say virtually zero chance. First his game is slipping, and just as important he's always been a guy who wants every last dollar. Someone out there will overpay him based on his prior level of play. It wont be the Steelers.

teegre
02-24-2017, 05:25 PM
That would be nice of the Steelers... because, Ladarius Green must be getting lonely sitting on the sidelines.

Psycho Ward 86
02-24-2017, 05:35 PM
i remember when Revis literally bitched out of his contract 3 offseasons in the span of 4 years. That shit is just unprecedented. Old, injury prone, and past his prime. There's virtually no upside to this

st33lersguy
02-24-2017, 05:45 PM
The steelers may be in the market for a young promising corner in the draft, or a free agent corner still very much in his prime, not a washed up has-been whose best seasons are behind him

Born2Steel
02-24-2017, 06:05 PM
I beat the drum for old, over the hill James Harrison. I will not do the same for Darrelle Revis. As good as he was once, that's how unappealing he is now.

Mojouw
02-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Here is the thing. Harrison looked like there was fork in his back after his sojourn in Cincinnati. Came back to the Steelers and looks pretty darn serviceable again.

Prior to 2016 Revis made a Pro Bowl every year after his rookie year, except for the year he was hurt. As recently as 2014 he was an All-Pro. His 2015 season was pretty darn good.

By his own admission he was out of shape and terrible last year (2016). IF Revis is motivated. IF he is cleared in the off-the-field stuff. IF he isn't going to suspended for multiple games by the league. IF he would sign a "prove" it deal for like 5-7 million dollars -- why the hell not?

Other FA Corners the Steelers have been linked to are right there in that range.
Munnerlyn made 4.2 million last year. He will be looking for a raise.
Verner made 6.75 million last year. He will need to take a pay cut, but he won't be looking to do anyone any favors either.
Amukamura is figured to start getting offers around 9-10 million on the open market.
Bouye looking at 10-12 million.

Revis will be 31 next season with ONE bad year on his resume. One. On a terrible team that was lacking almost everything a competent franchise needs. This is the same team that Muhammed Wilkerson, Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte, and a few other veterans all had some of their worst individual seasons for. Did they all get old and lazy at once? Possible. Or did a bunch of veteran players see a sinking ship and decide to put it on cruise control?

Everyone bangs on the table for how each season has to be a maximum effort to get a ring prior to the end of Roethlisberger's run. How would making a below market value bet on one of the best DB's of his generation not fit that attitude?

Now, do I want to send a ton of cash Revis' way? No. Wouldn't really be looking to guarantee much of it either. Might have a serious talk with him about how he feels about FS. Would need to get some assurances he is still into it. But who better for Burns and Cockerell to learn a few things from?

polamalubeast
02-24-2017, 06:31 PM
NO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqEUD3jJLE

Mojouw
02-24-2017, 06:39 PM
I'll add one more thing.

Charles Woodson was about the same age when he made the switch from boundary corner to some kind of roving weapon around the secondary and linebacker level in a 3-4 defense. He then played about 8 more seasons at a high level. Woodson was about 6' 1" and 200 lbs.

Revis is 6' even and 205 lbs. Facing the same questions Woodson was when he went to GB and made the switch.

Ignore the off-the-field stuff. Most recent reports make it sound like he might not have even done anything. Don't really care. On the field the situations are similar.

Another Woodson we should all be familiar with made the switch at 34 and made an All-Pro team at 37.

- - - Updated - - -

NO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqEUD3jJLE

Goodwin is an Olympic qualifying athlete in the long-jump and an Olympic caliber sprinter.

Yeah. He ran past Revis - but watch 21 for the Jets in the middle of the field there. Looks like he was supposed to be playing over the top help and didn't get anywhere near deep enough in his drop. When he turns to run to that side, Goodwin is already by him.

No idea if the coverage was single, man with help, or what. It looks bad. But in 2015 opponents completed 45% of their passes against Revis - that is a pretty good number!

86WARD
02-24-2017, 07:28 PM
i remember when Revis literally bitched out of his contract 3 offseasons in the span of 4 years. That shit is just unprecedented. Old, injury prone, and past his prime. There's virtually no upside to this

This 100x.

steelreserve
02-24-2017, 09:57 PM

I don't think that's too relevant here. If we signed him, it'd be a one-year prove-it deal for $5M or less. Because a) I don't think we (or most teams) are willing to roll the dice on a long-term deal, and b) he'll want another big contract from someone but it sure won't be us either. So I could see it working as a kind of one-year audition thing. Not holding my breath though.

salamander
02-24-2017, 10:44 PM
No thank you. :ranger:

SteelerFanInStl
02-25-2017, 08:29 AM
No thank you. :ranger:

I agree. I have no interest in him and I hope that the Steelers don't either. I would rather that we continue to focus on rebuilding our secondary with young guys.

Born2Steel
02-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Here is the thing. Harrison looked like there was fork in his back after his sojourn in Cincinnati. Came back to the Steelers and looks pretty darn serviceable again.

Prior to 2016 Revis made a Pro Bowl every year after his rookie year, except for the year he was hurt. As recently as 2014 he was an All-Pro. His 2015 season was pretty darn good.

By his own admission he was out of shape and terrible last year (2016). IF Revis is motivated. IF he is cleared in the off-the-field stuff. IF he isn't going to suspended for multiple games by the league. IF he would sign a "prove" it deal for like 5-7 million dollars -- why the hell not?

Other FA Corners the Steelers have been linked to are right there in that range.
Munnerlyn made 4.2 million last year. He will be looking for a raise.
Verner made 6.75 million last year. He will need to take a pay cut, but he won't be looking to do anyone any favors either.
Amukamura is figured to start getting offers around 9-10 million on the open market.
Bouye looking at 10-12 million.

Revis will be 31 next season with ONE bad year on his resume. One. On a terrible team that was lacking almost everything a competent franchise needs. This is the same team that Muhammed Wilkerson, Brandon Marshall, Matt Forte, and a few other veterans all had some of their worst individual seasons for. Did they all get old and lazy at once? Possible. Or did a bunch of veteran players see a sinking ship and decide to put it on cruise control?

Everyone bangs on the table for how each season has to be a maximum effort to get a ring prior to the end of Roethlisberger's run. How would making a below market value bet on one of the best DB's of his generation not fit that attitude?

Now, do I want to send a ton of cash Revis' way? No. Wouldn't really be looking to guarantee much of it either. Might have a serious talk with him about how he feels about FS. Would need to get some assurances he is still into it. But who better for Burns and Cockerell to learn a few things from?

Nice argument and all good points. Bring him in for a conversation, and see what everyone is thinking. If he leaves without a contract, the price/risk is too high. If he gets signed to a 1 year deal, maybe we both make out like bandits. Steelers get the ball hawker we need, and Revis finally gets his ring. I think we can all live with that. Worked for the Saints when they signed the rapist.

steel striker
02-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Revis has lost a few steps and, we don't need aging players in the secondary. James Harrison is the exception to this rule. Build through the draft is the best way to go.

86WARD
02-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Nice argument and all good points. Bring him in for a conversation, and see what everyone is thinking. If he leaves without a contract, the price/risk is too high. If he gets signed to a 1 year deal, maybe we both make out like bandits. Steelers get the ball hawker we need, and Revis finally gets his ring. I think we can all live with that. Worked for the Saints when they signed the rapist.

Brees is still QB for the Saints...

Born2Steel
02-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Brees is still QB for the Saints...

Flew right over my head that time.....

The Saints brought in Darren Sharper as a ball hawking safety to captain the secondary. Saints won the SB. 'Could' consider bringing Revis in as a ball hawking safety and secondary captain, not as a CB. Just a thought. Even diminished, he still has ball skills.

Psycho Ward 86
02-25-2017, 03:03 PM
ill admit that i havent thought the safety switch through. in that kind of scenario, im actually kind of curious. Anytime the defense has a down game, Mitchell is without fail always one of the main culprits. Revis has been a complete player throughout his career, but not sure quite how much of a thumper he would be as a safety. When we have Sean Davis though, that doesnt seem to be much of a problem. Revis could potentially be a crazy center fielder. Mitchell will also carry a cap hit over $8 million per season for this upcoming season and the next one. Do we really want to pay that much for a weak link on the defense? We'll save $6.3 million and $3.1 million respectively in the upcoming 2 offseasons if we cut him before June 1st.

Add to the fact that we have an extra early round draft pick and safety could still be one of the BPA's in those early rounds. If we get a guy like Budda Baker who could easily plug and play, id cut Mitchell out of here. Hell, even then we wouldnt necessarily even need to play a rookie safety much if we sign a guy like Revis. Could save us money AND make the defense more effective. This all sounds way too elaborate for the Steelers to do, sounds more like something Belichick would be cool with

thoughts?

Mojouw
02-25-2017, 03:21 PM
I think I've indicated I would be on board with it. I do not think it is going to happen. Just doesn't fit the Steelers way of doing things. But it is exactly the kind of thing the Patriots do and then everyone scratches their heads and acts confused as to how they keep winning stuff. Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Blount, and many others all showed up on a Patriots roster with a variety of performance questions marks and all took less than expected. All were used for a period of time and then let go when they either actually did physically break-down or rehabbed their value to a point that the Pats were not willing to pay for.

I agree that you build the core of your roster through the draft. Only way to get cost effective high end talent. But you have to supplement. Especially because draft picks usually take 1-2 seasons before they can really consistently impact a game.

The more I think about a 2017 version of Revis (and here I am assuming he is more like the 2015 version than the 2016 version) - the more I like the idea for the right price.

1. He is pissed off and his wounded pride makes him train like a monster this off-season and he comes in and just locks down a side of the field opposite Burns. Doubtful, but possible.
2. It becomes clear he is done as a CB. Fine. Make him a FS/Rover like Reed and the Woodsons.
3. #2 becomes even more attractive if you consider the other "outside the box" ideas that come off it. Such as:
- Mitchell drops down to the LB level and takes on a Duane Buchannon role alongside Shazier. In this scenario Timmons is not resigned.
- Do the above with Davis. Maybe bad for his development? Again, Timmons not resigned.
- Keep Mitchell and Davis at their spots. Resign Timmons. Your nickel formation is Burns, Cockerell, Revis, Davis, and Mitchell. Essentially an improved version of the "big nickel" they have played in the past with an extra safety.

I don't know. You can keep going from there. But assuming that Revis is not just suddenly awful. Assuming he would be wiling to make a position switch. And Assuming he plays for like $6 million. I really start liking the idea.

Never gonna happen though.

steelcityboyz
02-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Not a chance the Steelers sign Revis..... And even if they did he'd ride the bench anyway.

Rotorhead
02-26-2017, 06:34 PM
They only trade for player who ride the bench, so we lose draft picks for nothing, losing just money for a player to ride the bench is not our style!

DesertSteel
02-27-2017, 10:17 AM
@Mojouw all of your posts in this thread are winners!

st33lersguy
02-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Well, darrelle revis is going to be released

BlackAndGold
03-02-2017, 02:28 PM

Just no.

st33lersguy
03-02-2017, 02:48 PM
It's just pure speculation from Pete King, nothing more

pczach
03-02-2017, 03:01 PM
A once legendary player that milked every cent out of every team and contract he was ever involved in. A player that looks like he aged five years overnight, has had injury problems, and tends to get arrested from time to time and currently has charges against him. A guy that has gone wherever the most money is, and doesn't seem to care at all if the team he goes to ever wins.

That doesn't sound like a Steelers player to me.

Born2Steel
03-03-2017, 09:37 AM
If not Revis, then who? My thing on this subject is not the older, diminished CB angle. I'm looking at this from getting a true centerfielder safety that needs to rescue his legacy. I keep bringing this up but I feel it is a legitimate argument for consideration. The 2009 Saints won the SB with next to no pass rush, but had a centerfield veteran safety that directed that defense to record setting takeaways. And they beat 3 HoF QBs in the playoffs in Warner, Favre, and Manning. I know we have to improve our pass rush, just pointing out the role Revis(feel free to insert another name) could play and be a significant piece to our next championship. He's worth bringing in for a talk, IMO.

Mojouw
03-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Like the Steelers have never paid top $$$ to guys. AB, Ben, now Bell, Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu, Ward, Faneca, Timmons etc. all got paid at the top end of their positions when their play warranted it in order to prevent them from bolting in FA.

If Revis can still be even the 2015 version of himself, he would instantly be the best DB on the roster. How much is that worth? Don't know.

polamalubeast
03-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Like the Steelers have never paid top $$$ to guys. AB, Ben, now Bell, Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu, Ward, Faneca, Timmons etc. all got paid at the top end of their positions when their play warranted it in order to prevent them from bolting in FA.

If Revis can still be even the 2015 version of himself, he would instantly be the best DB on the roster. How much is that worth? Don't know.

But I did not remember the last time the steelers paid a big contract to a player who was not with the steelers before the signing.

Mojouw
03-03-2017, 10:23 AM
But I did not remember the last time the steelers paid a big contract to a player who was not with the steelers before the signing.

Good point! Looks like they are trying to get Bell's deal done so they can pay someone - http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/2017-offseason-questions-will-steelers-explore-top-cb-market-reported-interest/

I doubt they would do it, but Gilmore might look really good across from Burns!

Steel Peon
03-16-2017, 01:04 PM
CBS Sports - John Breech (http://www.cbssports.com/writers/john-breech/) - Felony charges dropped against Darrelle Revis, who now wants to play for Steelers

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/felony-charges-dropped-against-darrelle-revis-who-now-wants-to-play-for-steelers/

With his legal obstacles now out of the way, Revis will likely draw some interest in free agency, and from the sound of it, it looks like he’s hoping to get a call from the Steelers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers).
As he walked out of court on Wednesday, the Pittsburgh-native told NFL.com that it (https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/842090677966143489) would be a “dream come true” to play for the Steelers.

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 01:21 PM
So....do we wake him up, or let him keep dreaming?

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 01:32 PM
So....do we wake him up, or let him keep dreaming?

priceless

Dwinsgames
03-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Revis was a great player ..... key word here is WAS ..... now I believe his mind has visions of paychecks his body can no longer cash

its time to hand em up and lots of guys have a hard time recognizing it when it gets there ..

a few greats where able to make the switch from CB to S and extend their careers a Pair of Woodson's come to mind but they did not look like Revis did last year before making that switch .

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Once again the question comes down to price. Early on I was thinking what if we brought him in as a centerfield safety. I still like the idea. A lot. I think with his football IQ, losing a step or two won't be as big an issue. But he's no longer worthy of the big paychecks either. I would love to sign him on a 1 year, incentive laden deal that would not harm our future.

Craic
03-16-2017, 02:16 PM
CBS Sports - John Breech (http://www.cbssports.com/writers/john-breech/) - Felony charges dropped against Darrelle Revis, who now wants to play for Steelers

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/felony-charges-dropped-against-darrelle-revis-who-now-wants-to-play-for-steelers/

Depending on the amount he wants, I'd definitely bring him in at this point. Sure, he might not be able to cover a number one receiver anymore, but if he's willing to share his experiences and take our young CBs under his wing while playing slot or even against a number 2, I can only see it as a positive.

86WARD
03-16-2017, 02:29 PM
I was against signing him but with the way the market is now and the current status of the roster, I'd be willing to throw a couple/few million at him to see if he still has some gas left.

steelreserve
03-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Would it be a dream come true to play for us, or only a dream come true to play for us for more money than we could ever possibly afford or want to spend on him?

BlackAndGold
03-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Via Rapoport: "Unless a team pays Revis more than $6M, he'll play for the minimum. Why? Jets owe him $6M with offsets. They cover cost up to $6M."

If it's such a dream, then a he'll accept the minimum. which imo is worth the risk.

DesertSteel
03-16-2017, 03:44 PM
Via Rapoport: "Unless a team pays Revis more than $6M, he'll play for the minimum. Why? Jets owe him $6M with offsets. They cover cost up to $6M."

If it's such a dream, then a he'll accept the minimum. which imo is worth the risk.
Colbert would be a fool to pass on that deal!

Is there anything out there that shows the Steelers have interest? There's plenty of talk from Revis' camp, but any comments from the Steelers' FO?

BlackAndGold
03-16-2017, 04:12 PM

86WARD
03-16-2017, 04:23 PM

Is there anything out there that shows the Steelers have interest? There's plenty of talk from Revis' camp, but any comments from the Steelers' FO?

Agree. If he's willing to go minimum and screw the Jets over...do it...

SteelerFanInStl
03-16-2017, 05:17 PM

Agreed. Why the Hell wouldn't we be talking to him if that's the case?

Shoes
03-16-2017, 05:23 PM
They want Blake back! :chuckle: Scary because he is a FA.

tube517
03-16-2017, 05:29 PM
They want Blake back! :chuckle: Scary because he is a FA.

:lol:

salamander
03-16-2017, 06:13 PM
This might actually be relevant in this case:

:vetmin:

:chuckle:

WCSteeler
03-16-2017, 09:48 PM
Revis would be 100 times better than the 5ft 9 175lb 2nd round draft pick that can't even make it past training camp. Revis is a Pitt guy that just wants a chance to play for the Steelers, give him a small salary and see what the man can do for the team. I can still see Tom Brady making a mockery out of the so called secondary that the Steelers currently employ, upgrades are gravely nended and if that means signing Revis and drafting a CB 3rd round then so be it.

Iron Steeler
03-16-2017, 09:55 PM
Vet minimum I say yes

- - - Updated - - -

I say take Revis, Carr and Clairborne... play the numbers game like the browns

Shoes
03-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Vet minimum I say yes

- - - Updated - - -

Ravens sign Brandon Carr

Iron Steeler
03-16-2017, 09:58 PM
Damn... march madness got my off the ball for one second. I knew as soon as i sent it i should have fact checked it

Born2Steel
03-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Vet minimum I say yes

- - - Updated - - -

I was listening.....then you said, "like the Browns".

SteelerFanInStl
03-17-2017, 09:22 AM
Ravens sign Brandon Carr

Carr and Claiborne have both been signed.

steelreserve
03-17-2017, 11:57 AM

Nobody's going to pay him $6 million, so if that's true, I don't understand why it's not a done deal. Unless he's really just awful now.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2017, 12:42 PM
I still say he is done ! ( or should be )

2015 season in coverage: allowed 27 catches on 56 targets (48.2 completion percentage) for 370 yards and a 51.9 passer rating.
2016 season in coverage: allowed 51 catches on 79 targets (64.6 completion percentage) for 743 yards and a 102.5 passer rating

that is what I call losing a step or 2

Only Green Bay's Damarious Randall had a higher passer rating allowed (107.9) in 2016. And Revis' 64.6 catch rate was the highest of any of the league's CB1s last season -- 11 percent higher than the NFL average

that is a couple of distinctions you do not want to have as a DB Revis has plummeted like a stone ...

to keep this in perspective one time Steelers whipping boy Blake was in the league last year with the Titans and outplayed Revis's numbers ... this would be a signing on name recognition and notoriety not current ability level

Mojouw
03-17-2017, 12:48 PM
I still say he is done ! ( or should be )

2015 season in coverage: allowed 27 catches on 56 targets (48.2 completion percentage) for 370 yards and a 51.9 passer rating.
2016 season in coverage: allowed 51 catches on 79 targets (64.6 completion percentage) for 743 yards and a 102.5 passer rating

that is what I call losing a step or 2

Only Green Bay's Damarious Randall had a higher passer rating allowed (107.9) in 2016. And Revis' 64.6 catch rate was the highest of any of the league's CB1s last season -- 11 percent higher than the NFL average

that is a couple of distinctions you do not want to have as a DB Revis has plummeted like a stone ...

to keep this in perspective one time Steelers whipping boy Blake was in the league last year with the Titans and outplayed Revis's numbers ... this would be a signing on name recognition and notoriety not current ability level

Bad side - these numbers are totally correct and there is a giant fork sticking out of Revis' back and he is totally done.
Good side - he played 10-20 lbs heavy last year because he suddenly forgot to work out in the off-season? No one seems to be able to explain that part. Reports are that he has trained down to his more traditional playing weight.

If the reports are that he can be had for the vet minimum due to his contract language with the Jets - why not?

pczach
03-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Bad side - these numbers are totally correct and there is a giant fork sticking out of Revis' back and he is totally done.
Good side - he played 10-20 lbs heavy last year because he suddenly forgot to work out in the off-season? No one seems to be able to explain that part. Reports are that he has trained down to his more traditional playing weight.

If the reports are that he can be had for the vet minimum due to his contract language with the Jets - why not?

If he can be signed for vet minimum and you have the chance to have one of the greatest corners in the history of the NFL prove he still has it and win a championship........why in the hell would anyone not be interested in trying that????

There would be almost zero risk and almost no financial impact whatsoever.

Born2Steel
03-17-2017, 01:52 PM
If he can be signed for vet minimum and you have the chance to have one of the greatest corners in the history of the NFL prove he still has it and win a championship........why in the hell would anyone not be interested in trying that????

Exactly.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2017, 01:58 PM

the only minor detail that is being over looked is our coaching staff has proven that they do not have the ability to remove a player from the line up when he is sucking at a record setting pace ( see Blake) and Revis was worse in 2016 combine that with his * Celebrity * that Blake did not have and that scares the shit out of me of any chance of him being removed from the lineup if he plays like 2016 ( or worse )

pczach
03-17-2017, 02:04 PM
the only minor detail that is being over looked is our coaching staff has proven that they do not have the ability to remove a player from the line up when he is sucking at a record setting pace ( see Blake) and Revis was worse in 2016 combine that with his * Celebrity * that Blake did not have and that scares the shit out of me of any chance of him being removed from the lineup if he plays like 2016 ( or worse )

I think the difference here is that if they were to sign Revis, they would have other proven players on the roster. If Cockrell, Burns, or Gay are off the field, I think they have proven themselves to be much better players than Blake was and would be put on the field because the coaches trust them.

Mojouw
03-17-2017, 02:05 PM

I will pay money to not have this argument again.

Brandon Boykin's almost total disappearance from the NFL speaks volumes all on its own.

teegre
03-17-2017, 02:10 PM

Brandon Boykin's almost total disappearance from the NFL speaks volumes all on its own.

Superman wears Brandon Boykin pajamas.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep at night, he checks under the bed for Brandon Boykin.

Brandon Boykin does not do push ups; he pushes the Earth down.

Shoes
03-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Agreed and Gilbert will probably follow. But there is always Blake! :chuckle:

pczach
03-17-2017, 02:22 PM

It's time to start the ​Dollars for Silence Regarding Brandon Boykin Replacing Antwon Blake Fund.

Shoes
03-17-2017, 02:28 PM
Boykin, Gilbert & Scobee all FA. They should at least take Dan Rooney out to lunch.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2017, 02:32 PM

perhaps it does , but it does not change the fact he played better than Blake , at the end of the day that and 2 bucks will buy you a hot cup of bitter coffee at Denys while you scratch you head and wonder how Blake is still in the league
?

Born2Steel
03-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Antoine Blake was not the worst DB on that team.:stirthepot:

Method28
03-17-2017, 02:48 PM
I honestly dont care if they pay him $1, $6 mill or $10 mill if its for 1 year. Pitt is not making any other impact signing. Why save the cap room?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Craic
03-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Superman wears Brandon Boykin pajamas.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep at night, he checks under the bed for Brandon Boykin.

Brandon Boykin does not do push ups; he pushes the Earth down.

According to Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, you are absolutely right. He DOES push down the earth.

steelcityboyz
03-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Boykin, Gilbert & Scobee all FA. They should at least take Dan Rooney out to lunch.We will never know if Gilbert would of made any difference. Gilbert seemed to have changed his attitude from the one he had with the Browns. So much talent and not given a chance to even prove it.

steelreserve
03-17-2017, 04:14 PM
According to Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, you are absolutely right. He DOES push down the earth.

I thought that from a physics standpoint, technically what happens is he pushes on the earth with Applied Force (which doesn't overcome the earth's inertia) and in reaction to that, the earth pushes back on him with the Normal Force, which is what lifts him up. If you want to be a total dick about it, which I'm known for.

Shoes
03-17-2017, 04:37 PM
We will never know if Gilbert would of made any difference. Gilbert seemed to have changed his attitude from the one he had with the Browns. So much talent and not given a chance to even prove it.

I'd like to know why is he's still a FA?

Mojouw
03-17-2017, 04:53 PM
I was a fan of getting Gilbert and have even mentioned bringing him back.

But to say he didn't get a chance is not true. He get a chance everyday in camp and practice.

AtlantaDan
03-17-2017, 04:55 PM
We will never know if Gilbert would of made any difference. Gilbert seemed to have changed his attitude from the one he had with the Browns. So much talent and not given a chance to even prove it.

My guess is you have to prove it in practice first

Given that the Steelers clearly were not enthralled with the play of Cockrell or Gay it seems as if the opportunity was there if he earned it

He might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer - his kickoff return at the end of the KC game could have cost the game

DesertSteel
03-17-2017, 05:28 PM
I was a fan of getting Gilbert and have even mentioned bringing him back.

But to say he didn't get a chance is not true. He get a chance everyday in camp and practice.

Given recent failures (e.g., Boykin, Gilbert), the Steelers are either terrible evaluators (shouldn't have signed them) or terrible developers (can't get on the field). I think it's a mix of the two. To be honest, I'm not convinced that they have the clue on when a guy should get a chance on Sunday. Trust the coaching staff in this area, I don't.

Born2Steel
03-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Given recent failures (e.g., Boykin, Gilbert), the Steelers are either terrible evaluators (shouldn't have signed them) or terrible developers (can't get on the field). I think it's a mix of the two. To be honest, I'm not convinced that they have the clue on when a guy should get a chance on Sunday. Trust the coaching staff in this area, I don't.

Nobody really seems to have a great talent for evaluating DBs. Way too many of the top guys each draft don't pan out, while guys that got no attention leading up to the draft turn into shutdown corners. The entire process is flawed.

Psycho Ward 86
03-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Nobody really seems to have a great talent for evaluating DBs. Way too many of the top guys each draft don't pan out, while guys that got no attention leading up to the draft turn into shutdown corners. The entire process is flawed.

the seahawks, chiefs, and patriots seem pretty great at evaluating DB's

Mojouw
03-17-2017, 07:41 PM
The Patriots are not good at DBs - or at least not any better or worse than anyone else. -- http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

Seahawks are the same now that Carroll's recruiting advantage has faded.

Dwinsgames
03-17-2017, 08:30 PM
I wouldnt call the Chiefs great at it either I mean most hear on this forum knew Nelson , Gaines and Peters where going to be good so there is that

Method28
03-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Dolphins have drafted some good ones, they just have gotten rid of a few before they blossomed lol

teegre
03-17-2017, 10:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzBmQMyYDBk&app=desktop

teegre
03-17-2017, 10:26 PM
I thought that from a physics standpoint, technically what happens is he pushes on the earth with Applied Force (which doesn't overcome the earth's inertia) and in reaction to that, the earth pushes back on him with the Normal Force, which is what lifts him up. If you want to be a total dick about it, which I'm known for.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/embed-twit/479cdd21-336e-4350-a993-5ab37ad9665b

:lol:

86WARD
03-18-2017, 02:49 AM
Nobody's going to pay him $6 million, so if that's true, I don't understand why it's not a done deal. Unless he's really just awful now.

Revis is pretty much guaranteed $6M. So why would he sign anytime soon? He'd be smarter to wait it out until training camp or when someone somewhere gets hurt and a team is desperate, he may end up getting a "better than $6M" multi-year deal.

Psycho Ward 86
03-18-2017, 12:57 PM
its my understanding that the stipulations of his jets contract is that Revis gets paid Exactly $6 million this season no matter what. If another team signs him, the jet simply pay $6 million minus whatever that team gives him. Can someone tell me if this is correct?

- - - Updated - - -

The Patriots are not good at DBs - or at least not any better or worse than anyone else. -- http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

haha wow i stand corrected :lol:

Method28
03-18-2017, 01:17 PM

I believe i counted the Pats have drafted at LEAST two secondary players in like 12 of the last 16 drafts or something like that. Thats a lot of picks lol although they did draft guys like Ryan, Samuel, Merriweather, Chung, McCourty. They've had their fair share of Ras-I-Dowlings as well.

its my understanding that the stipulations of his jets contract is that Revis gets paid Exactly $6 million this season no matter what. If another team signs him, the jet simply pay $6 million minus whatever that team gives him. Can someone tell me if this is correct?

- - - Updated - - -

haha wow i stand corrected [emoji38]

pczach
03-19-2017, 03:00 AM

3 Reasons why Darrelle Revis going to the Steelers makes sense

Mr. Rooney, please just sign this guy so I can die happy

By Dan Sager March 18 2017

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2017/3/18/14964392/3-reasons-why-darrelle-revis-going-to-the-steelers-makes-sense-cornerback-free-agent-rumors

SteelerFanInStl
03-19-2017, 11:25 AM
There's talk now that the Patriots may be interested in signing him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/19/talk-in-new-england-of-darrelle-revis-returning-to-the-patriots/

pczach
03-19-2017, 11:39 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/19/talk-in-new-england-of-darrelle-revis-returning-to-the-patriots/

If nothing else, I'm sure they're trying to drive the price up for everyone else.

Psycho Ward 86
03-19-2017, 12:52 PM
If nothing else, I'm sure they're trying to drive the price up for everyone else.

yeah the patriots of all organizations are so concerned with everyone else's offseason moves. ugh, i wish

86WARD
03-19-2017, 02:14 PM

Why wouldn't they? It's going to cost them almost nothing to do it and the best part is their division rival will be paying for him. At that price, he's worth a flier.