PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent cornerbacks the Pittsburgh Steelers could target this offseason

Shoes
02-11-2017, 09:41 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) need help at cornerback. After releasing Justin Gilbert (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/245305/justin-gilbert), they are ridiculously thin at the position. Returning starters Artie Burns (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/276687/artie-burns) and Ross Cockrell (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/245632/ross-cockrell) are joined with William Gay (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16789/william-gay), Al-Hajj Shabazz and oft-injured Senquez Golson (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/254500/senquez-golson) to round out the depth chart.
While most fans point directly to the NFL Draft (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-draft) to help fill the void in the defensive secondary, the Steelers might be wise to look at a free agent to help give the team a proven commodity.
After all, I believe most would agree the Steelers are just a few players away from being serious contenders to represent the AFC in Super Bowl (http://www.sbnation.com/super-bowl) 52 next season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2017/2/11/14579276/free-agent-cornerbacks-the-pittsburgh-steelers-could-target-this-offseason-2017-nfl-draft

st33lersguy
02-11-2017, 10:37 AM
The problem with free agents is almost all of them are too expensive (would rather have that money spent on players already here), one year wonders who only show up during their contract year then disappear again once they get paid, and/or system players who only thrived in one system and fall apart in a completely different system. The only free agents on that list that look like they may be appealing are certain to cost way too much money or franchised/re-signed

Psycho Ward 86
02-11-2017, 12:56 PM
If we choose to pursue a corner. In terms of what we need, and whats realistic, Id be happy with Logan Ryan or Captain Munnerlyn on that list

Born2Steel
02-11-2017, 08:08 PM
The best fit for us will probably not be the most successful guy from another system. Is there a guy out there that played in a similar system successfully? That is how I would approach it.

Mojouw
02-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore would fit what the Steelers want to do on defense. But again, I think they are going to be priced out of the market. Figure 15 or more per year to get those guys signed.

Big chance they both get tagged also. Same with Ryan and Bouye. The rest of that list is guys that should be in the bargain bin but instead will be jumped up to the high priced scratch and dent aisle. Not a good deal.

Born2Steel
02-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore would fit what the Steelers want to do on defense. But again, I think they are going to be priced out of the market. Figure 15 or more per year to get those guys signed.

Big chance they both get tagged also. Same with Ryan and Bouye. The rest of that list is guys that should be in the bargain bin but instead will be jumped up to the high priced scratch and dent aisle. Not a good deal.

On one hand though, the window is narrow. What is too high of a price to win now? On the other hand, the Steelers have always built for the future with personnel moves. That ideology is what made 8 SB appearances with 6 championships. Strong argument can be made for both. Patience vs win now.

Mojouw
02-12-2017, 02:50 PM
On one hand though, the window is narrow. What is too high of a price to win now? On the other hand, the Steelers have always built for the future with personnel moves. That ideology is what made 8 SB appearances with 6 championships. Strong argument can be made for both. Patience vs win now.

Great points. I do think the Steelers should spend a great deal of cap $$ this off-season to both lock up their own (AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, and Shazier) as well as bring in some pieces from outside. My only counter is does Hightower fix what ails the defense? Or does he simply double-down on existing strengths? He isn't a dynamic pass-rusher nor is he a weapon in coverage. He stops the run and is an active presence from the middle of the field.

Timmons and a rookie can do that for about 2/3 of the cost.

Born2Steel
02-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Great points. I do think the Steelers should spend a great deal of cap $$ this off-season to both lock up their own (AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, and Shazier) as well as bring in some pieces from outside. My only counter is does Hightower fix what ails the defense? Or does he simply double-down on existing strengths? He isn't a dynamic pass-rusher nor is he a weapon in coverage. He stops the run and is an active presence from the middle of the field.

Timmons and a rookie can do that for about 2/3 of the cost.

I was more replying about FA CBs. I'm not much of a Hightower fan. I was one of the few that didn't want to take him in the draft. Somebody mentioned Zach Brown in another post. I would rather take him even with his injury history.

Mojouw
02-12-2017, 04:51 PM
I was more replying about FA CBs. I'm not much of a Hightower fan. I was one of the few that didn't want to take him in the draft. Somebody mentioned Zach Brown in another post. I would rather take him even with his injury history.

Duh! Wrong thread. Too much cold medicine is the excuse I'm going with.

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2017, 06:21 PM

Zach Brown had a torn pec a couple of years ago but other than that he looks like he's been a pretty healthy guy based on injury reports

Born2Steel
02-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Zach Brown had a torn pec a couple of years ago but other than that he looks like he's been a pretty healthy guy based on injury reports

Apparently I confused him with another player. Still, I would prefer Brown over Hightower if those were the choices. He's a sideline to sideline ILB with very good tackling skills. I do not know how he is in coverage, but has to be better than Hightower.

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Apparently I confused him with another player. Still, I would prefer Brown over Hightower if those were the choices. He's a sideline to sideline ILB with very good tackling skills. I do not know how he is in coverage, but has to be better than Hightower.

Zach is outstanding at everything. Hence him being kind of a reach for us to get. But with Timmons off the books, a possibly lower contract on Bell than expected (Peterson currently outpaces RB's by a crazy amount of dough), and some little strategic cuts like getting Gilbert loose (maybe Moats and Williams if he were signed), who knows if Colbert will let loose before Ben retires. I know I know. But let me dream unrealistically guys ok :lol:

Can you guys imagine a front 7 with Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Harrison, Shazier, Brown, and Dupree? Literally all of those guys are pro bowl caliber

Shoes
02-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Packers cut CB Sam Shields & RB James Starks. Forget Shields 5 concussion, but would be interesting to keep an eye on Starks. I think the Steelers had him set up for a visit a few years ago and he never showed up. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
02-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Packers cut CB Sam Shields & RB James Starks. Forget Shields 5 concussion, but would be interesting to keep an eye on Starks. I think the Steelers had him set up for a visit a few years ago and he never showed up. :chuckle:

Starks is insanely injury prone too. Im gonna pass.

Benny Cunningham, Rex Burkhead, Jordan Todman, and Jacquizz Rodgers are useful options imo. Benny and Burkhead are particularly interesting. Benny has receiving skills too and some good return numbers. Rex ran for over 100 on a good ravens defense and I've read that many in the bengals fanbase were calling for him to replace Jeremy Hill. Both really under the radar, sounds like a classic steelers signing. If Karlos Williams comes into the fold and gets his shit together that would be a well rounded backfield

86WARD
02-12-2017, 09:48 PM
They did have interest in Starks but I think they signed Blount that year?

Shoes
02-12-2017, 09:58 PM
They did have interest in Starks but I think they signed Blount that year?

You may be correct there.

Mojouw
02-12-2017, 11:47 PM
Starks looks done from the little I saw last season. Burst seems gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
02-13-2017, 08:00 AM
I really wanted Heyward last offseason and we didn't even look at him. He signed cheap with SD and had a great season.

Born2Steel
02-13-2017, 08:34 AM
Marcus Cooper, AZ has pretty decent numbers, especially based on number of snaps. However, I don't know him at all. Any thoughts on this CB, or reasons for or against signing him? Good size, good speed, played well in 2016. That's about all I know.

Method28
02-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Read that Talib might be a June 1st designation. If he's cut, I'd LOVE for Pitt to go hard after him. Doubt they would, but he's one I'd hope they make an exception for.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Read that Talib might be a June 1st designation. If he's cut, I'd LOVE for Pitt to go hard after him. Doubt they would, but he's one I'd hope they make an exception for.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

that would be amazing but where does he fit on this defense? Cockrell, Burns, and Talib are all very much outside corners. Talib is so good at everything he seems like the one who would handle the slot the best imo but that also seems like such a waste when we go up against some of the premier X receivers in the league. Cockrell is too slow for the slot. Burn is going to be out of his natural position and he's still learning.

Captain Munnerlyn has been good for some time, and had a particularly good year as a slot corner and will be a UFA. He's probably at the top of my free agency wishlist other than Melvin Ingram. 28 years old, and he was on PFF's top 25 cornerbacks in the league. Underrated, but good player. This guy is a steelers signing, and great insurance if Gay continues to drop off/Golson doesn't pan out. He has an average yearly salary of $3.75 million right now and I figure we can get him for much the same.

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Obviously it seems extremely unlikely that we make a serious move at safety in free agency. But hypothetically, if we were to cut Mike Mitchell and sign a new starter like a Tony Jefferson...do you guys think it would be a waste to sign a guy who is essentially at his best in the box? Since Davis is probably at his best there as well

Mojouw
02-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Munnerlyn or someone like him would be a great signing. Jefferson could work. Do a big nickel look with 3 safeties. Or take a LB away and play Davis next to Shazier.

Born2Steel
02-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Marcus Cooper, AZ has pretty decent numbers, especially based on number of snaps. However, I don't know him at all. Any thoughts on this CB, or reasons for or against signing him? Good size, good speed, played well in 2016. That's about all I know.

Spent some time this evening looking at highlights of Marcus Cooper, CB AZ. This man is 6'2" and is very fast. Plays man and zone. We need to talk to this man's agent.

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Spent some time this evening looking at highlights of Marcus Cooper, CB AZ. This man is 6'2" and is very fast. Plays man and zone. We need to talk to this man's agent.

chiefs tested him out as a safety before too. Tomlin is obsessed with versatility

Mojouw
02-13-2017, 09:46 PM
This is my new FA obsession. Pro Bowl alternate. Cardinals have a ton of expensive guys to sign. Best part is you sign Cooper your getting a player potentially on the upswing rather than the tail end of their career.

This could be one of those low temperature signings that down the road everyone else is jealous of.

Psycho Ward 86
02-13-2017, 10:05 PM
wish we just had one big free agency thread for such interesting discussions. where do you guys figure Marcus Cooper would fit for us schematically? For the longest time it seems like the steelers have had an abundance of corners who are mostly only useful on the inside. Now it seems like we're kind of approaching the opposite. Cockrell, Burns, Cooper. One of those 3 has to move inside right?

86WARD
02-14-2017, 08:03 AM
Anyone of these mentioned guys being signed is going to be better than Cockrell and Burns. Talib for instance...there's no discussion on what to do. Talib starts where he is best and the rest fill in or sit the pine.

Born2Steel
02-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Talib - That player that can come in and be the guy the other young players look up to and try to play like. Right now this secondary is in identity crisis mode. Who's the leader back there?

Cooper - A younger player with tremendous talent. Big and fast. Can play outside corner, nickel, or safety. Has been a gunner on kick coverage teams as well.

Hell, let's sign them both.

SteelerFanInStl
02-15-2017, 07:41 AM
I can't believe that anyone is asking for us to sign Talib. With all of his off the field issues, I don't want him anywhere close to the Steelers.

tube517
02-15-2017, 08:42 AM
We aren't going to sign any "big name" DBs.

We'll sign another (My name isn't) Antwon Blake. Oh wait.....

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02/steelers-sign-cb-devonte-johnson/

Championship!!!!

Psycho Ward 86
02-15-2017, 09:25 AM
We aren't going to sign any "big name" DBs.

We'll sign another (My name isn't) Antwon Blake. Oh wait.....

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02/steelers-sign-cb-devonte-johnson/

Championship!!!!

Munnerlyn really isnt a big name at all. middle-tier signing at best, and we've shown a penchant for being willing to do that in recent years

Mojouw
02-15-2017, 09:34 AM
Talib is still under contract. Rumored he may be asked to restructure or he will get cut. But hasn't happened yet. So not much to really talk about.

tube517
02-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Munnerlyn really isnt a big name at all. middle-tier signing at best, and we've shown a penchant for being willing to do that in recent years

I was being facetious with the "big name" comment but I'd take the Captain. I just don't see the Steelers getting even him in free agency. I hope you're right, though.

tube517
02-15-2017, 01:14 PM
I was being facetious with the "big name" comment but I'd take the Captain. I just don't see the Steelers getting even him in free agency. I hope you're right, though.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02/steelers-interest-vikings-cb-captain-munnerlyn/

Well, there ya go, PsychoWard.

EzraTank
02-15-2017, 01:53 PM
If we continue to play the Butler zone COVER NONE defense and expect a 90 year old James Harrison to be the only guy getting pressure you could sign 5 Deion Sanders in their prime and they wouldn't help.

This team needs to change the defensive schemes and learn how to pressure QBs.

Mojouw
02-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Well that was an insightful and helpful comment.

This team also needs to learn how to have more points than the other team at the end of the 4th quarter. I've heard that is important to winning. Not sure.

Psycho Ward 86
02-15-2017, 04:18 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02/steelers-interest-vikings-cb-captain-munnerlyn/

WOW. im really excited but dont want to get my hopes up too much. Also interesting to note, the steelers were interested in Nolan Carroll 2 years ago, and he's a UFA this season. Carroll is pretty good in the slot and wouldnt come too expensive either. Yes yes, he's 30 years old, but he's 30 and still playing strong. Gay is 32 and in decline.

If either one is signed, i think Gay gets cut after June 1st. No reason to cut him before then. Wait til after the draft, where we'll likely come out with another cornerback or 2, and have them have a go at it in training camp. That will be $2 million in cap savings if we drop William Gay.

Burns, Cockrell, Munnerlyn, Golson, draft pick. I think thats a pretty good group

86WARD
02-15-2017, 07:21 PM

Those Steelers Depot articles carry no weight though...they are just stories made up by a blogger trying to create a connect the dots puzzle...there's no factual information there.

Psycho Ward 86
02-15-2017, 08:01 PM
Those Steelers Depot articles carry no weight though...they are just stories made up by a blogger trying to create a connect the dots puzzle...there's no factual information there.

Scott Brown is the source of previous steelers interest in Munnerlyn, Caroll, and Verner. He covered for the Pittsburgh Tribune for some time and he was usually fine with his reporting. Its not unusual for the steelers to revisit previous interest in a player. Munnerlyn makes a lot of sense. We looked at him before, he can play zone and man pretty well (looked terrific last season actually with the vikings), and he's still managed to be pretty under the radar so he should be affordable. He was the vikings nickel corner and thats what we need most.

Mojouw
02-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Thsts a pretty reasonable report. No worse than most things getting churned out this time of year.