PDA

View Full Version : Was 2016 A Success Or Failure?

polamalubeast
02-04-2017, 07:44 AM

AtlantaDan
02-04-2017, 08:25 AM

The Steelers met preseason expectations in a down year for the AFC, which is a success but not overachieving.

I tend to regard Vegas odds to be a more valid measure of expectations than preseason picks by sportswriters - one involves putting $$$ behind an opinion, the other only requires an online connection.

Patriots were 11-4 and Steelers were 9-2 in terms of who was the AFC preseason favorite to win the AFC in September 2016. Steelers were 7-2 co-favorites with the Pats to win the 2016 AFC in January 2016 prior to offseason moves

Patriots were 6-1 and Steelers were 10-1 in terms of who was the AFC preseason favorite to win the Super Bowl in September 2016. Steelers were 8-1 co-favorites with the Pats and Seahawks in January 2016

https://news.wagertalk.com/odds-win-2017-super-bowl-51-public-patriots-top-westgate/

Pretty clear Vegas thought the Bryant suspension last March changed the odds - Vegas was correct.

IMO getting to the AFC championship should be regarded as a failure only if the team was the strong preseason favorite to make the Super Bowl, which the Steelers were not.

FWIW biggest underachievers this season were the Bruce Arians Cardinals (4-1 co-favorite in September 2016 to win the NFC) and biggest overachievers were the Falcons (40-1 to win NFC). Those are examples of clear failure and success.

86WARD
02-04-2017, 08:27 AM
I would say success.

st33lersguy
02-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Let's look at it this way
- 4-5 and losers of 4 straight at one point
- prior to this year no AFC Championship appearances and only one playoff win since 2010
- no. 2 WR gone for the year
- Star RB and team MVP suspended for 3 games and then injured for AFC Championship game
- Top free agent signing slated to start at TE missing all but 6 games
- One starting OLB played only 6 regular season games and playoffs.
- Young team on defense included 3 rookies that ended up starting for much of the season

Yeah I'd say overall the season was a success

polamalubeast
02-04-2017, 10:55 AM
The comments below of this article are not very positive!

Moose
02-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Won the division.....won playoff game.....everyone healthy ..... I'd say success !

smokin3000gt
02-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Success. Nobody expected us to sniff the playoffs let alone make it to the AFCC. Especially with our young defense. The right ingredients are there, we just gotta stir them up a bit next year. All in all I have to say I'm pretty happy how the team has performed while retooling.

Count Steeler
02-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Overall a success, just a bad taste and bad memories in the last game. Coaches had a plan, players did not communicate and execute. I still question the wisdom of plan, but if the players don't execute, everyone looks silly, as we did against the Pats*. It is just unfortunate that this was the last game.

I would say next year, the players and coaches need to deliver.

Born2Steel
02-04-2017, 01:03 PM
I feel like defensively this season was a monster success. Cannot wait until year 2. Not so much offensively though. Bryant getting suspended, Bell getting suspended, Green unable to play for the most part, and we were considered as one of the best offenses heading into the season. We did not produce expectation on offense. Weneed offensive help. When Bell goes out, AB gets bracketed, and it's game over. Have to have that 3rd and 4th weapon consistently.

Season overall is a success. Always looking to improve is why we're the Steelers.

LloydWoodson
02-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Any season with a playoff win is a success.

SteelerFanInStl
02-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Success. Nobody expected us to sniff the playoffs let alone make it to the AFCC. Especially with our young defense. The right ingredients are there, we just gotta stir them up a bit next year. All in all I have to say I'm pretty happy how the team has performed while retooling.

According to who? A lot of people picked us to win the Super Bowl this year and pretty much everyone picked us to make the playoffs. We were also touted for most of the year as "the team that no one wants to play in the playoffs". They forgot to add the "*Except the Patriots".

Method28
02-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Any season with a playoff win is a success.
This. You win a playoff game, thats not a bad season.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

steelreserve
02-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Not a bad year by most standards, but a failure. We were expected to compete for a championship, but we threw away the season because of incompetence.

It would've been one thing if we'd made it to the conference championship, done our best and come up short, maybe been a few unlucky breaks away. But we didn't even give ourselves a chance to win. That showed that if we don't change something, this is exactly our ceiling again next year. Hence the people picking us to contend for a title were wrong, hence a failure.

polamalubeast
02-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Only the last game was a failure....

Mojouw
02-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Plus repeated posts around here have shown ample evidence that the "failure" game was more on a lack of execution on defense and not ready for prime time players on offense. So another pass rusher, another DB, and a WR besides AB who can get open and maybe they get over the hump?

polamalubeast
02-05-2017, 10:31 AM
8 of the 10 teams that have been eliminated in the playoffs,they have been crushed.

AtlantaDan
02-05-2017, 10:46 AM
This. You win a playoff game, thats not a bad season.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

For good teams yes - for excellent teams no

That is not what the standard is in New England and was not the standard in Pittsburgh in the 70s

steelreserve
02-05-2017, 10:51 AM
I don't know what kind of spin you've bought into, but that loss was NOT a matter of execution.

Like, maybe our execution could've been better, but even if we executed perfectly, we still would've lost with that shit plan.

Call me crazy, but I don't think almost was good enough here, considering the way it ended. Would you call it a "success" if you led the Indy 500 for the first 150 laps, then finished second because someone else put a great move on you? Sure.

Would it be a success if you led for the first 150 laps, then crashed out of the race because your crew chief was too stupid to bolt your tires back on? Not so much. That's the difference.

polamalubeast
02-05-2017, 10:55 AM
I don't know what kind of spin you've bought into, but that loss was NOT a matter of execution.

Like, maybe our execution could've been better, but even if we executed perfectly, we still would've lost with that shit plan.

Call me crazy, but I don't think almost was good enough here, considering the way it ended. Would you call it a "success" if you led the Indy 500 for the first 150 laps, Then finished second because someone else put a great move on you? Sure.

Would it be a success if you led for the first 150 laps, then crashed out of the race because your crew chief was too stupid to bolt your tires back on? Not so much. That's the difference.

Your example you gave is like starting the season 7-0 and finishing the season at 8-8.

Of course it would be a failure, but the steelers finished the season in the final four, so on the podium or almost !!!!

Mojouw
02-05-2017, 11:21 AM

Call me crazy, but I don't think almost was good enough here, considering the way it ended. Would you call it a "success" if you led the Indy 500 for the first 150 laps, then finished second because someone else put a great move on you? Sure.

Multiple film breakdown articles on Steelers Depot and other sites have been posted here that demonstrate:
1. Critical plays in passing game were frequently the result of blown assignments by Steelers players.
2. Man coverage resulted in 3 "chunk" plays by the Pats.
3. Steelers pass rushers were stymied in their blitz attempts - including middle pressure with Timmons and Shazier.

So despite what everyone wants to believe, the Steelers did try things beyond "20 yard cushion zones" and not "blitzing Brady", and etc etc.

Was the Steelers defensive gameplan innovative? No. Was it the "best" gameplan they could have come-up with? Maybe. Maybe not. Should they have tried something else? Quite possibly.

But what needs to be remembered, is that we don't have all the information. And the main argument here seems to be that "Butler and Tomlin are morons and know less about football than the average fan". Sorry, I don't buy it. Do I think they make mistakes, poor decisions, and not the best in the NFL at their jobs? Yes to all three. But tI do not think that they just came up with the plan they did use for no reasons.

steelcityboyz
02-05-2017, 11:35 AM

That is not what the standard is in New England and was not the standard in Pittsburgh in the 70sAgreed. :yup:

smokin3000gt
02-05-2017, 11:45 AM
According to who? A lot of people picked us to win the Super Bowl this year and pretty much everyone picked us to make the playoffs. We were also touted for most of the year as "the team that no one wants to play in the playoffs". They forgot to add the "*Except the Patriots".

Maybe before our 4 game skid. Once we lost 4 in a row people couldn't jump off the bandwagon fast enough. A lot of people on this board didn't even think we'd finish out with a winning season and the playoffs were not only unlikely but impossible. Once we starting winning out the season everyone jumped back on the Steelers/Playoff/SB wagon.

polamalubeast
02-05-2017, 11:51 AM
When the steelers were 4-5, the ravens were only 5-4 and the ravens had Dallas and New England on the road in their schedule and also the steelers had another game against the ravens, this time at home, so the chances of making the playoffs at that time was not unlikely.

Of course, being in the AFC title game at that time seemed almost impossible.

WCSteeler
02-05-2017, 01:32 PM
I'd say kind of a mixed bag. The defense was not viewed by many as a good defense before the season but really came together and showed promise. Take away Lev Bell and the offense was just ok. Where things really got strange was coaching, the team lost 4 straight and then reeled off an impressive win streak which Mike Tomlin and his staff really have to be given a great deal of credit for. Where concern should creep in is how unprepared the team was for the Patriots game, the team looked so badly over matched and outcoached you wonder how in the hell the Steelers got past the wild card game. I was shocked at how quickly the team fell apart and how adjustments were not made by the coaching staff. Overall the season was a success the team looks as if it is improving every season, losing is never easy but the total domination in the Pats game and really terrible offensive performances the last 2 playoff games gives reason for concern going forward.

Mojouw
02-05-2017, 01:53 PM
So here is another way to look at it. If I told you this team made an championship game, how would you feel?

1. The starting QB was basically Browns level away from home.
2. The starting RB misses the first 3 games.
3. The deep threat and game-breaking #2 WR misses the entire season.
4. Due to injury and other reasons, the team relies on a couple of rookies, and a waiver wire claim to take the double teams away from the #1 WR.
5. The TE situation would be unsettled all season. Alternating between can't block and sorta can catch, to can block but can't catch, to who knows if he can do either consistently, to wow he can really catch but is a constant injury risk.
6. The best cover DB is a rookie. The second best is a 2nd year player who got cut by the team who drafted him.
7. The best pass rusher is a 38 year old who everyone thought was going to be done 3 years ago.
8. For most of the season, 2/3 of the defensive line is a rookie and a veteran they pulled off the scrap heap.
9. 3/4 of the starting secondary is made up of rookies or 2nd year NFL players. Communication and recognition were an issue all season.
10. Jordan Dangerfield played a meaningful role.

If you saw that list about any other team, what would your guess at their record be? Final game they were eliminated in? While I realize every team faces significant challenges every year and there is a ton of talent on the Steelers roster, I look at that list it and does not scream SB team to me.

Psycho Ward 86
02-05-2017, 04:29 PM
So here is another way to look at it. If I told you this team made an championship game, how would you feel?

1. The starting QB was basically Browns level away from home.
2. The starting RB misses the first 3 games.
3. The deep threat and game-breaking #2 WR misses the entire season.
4. Due to injury and other reasons, the team relies on a couple of rookies, and a waiver wire claim to take the double teams away from the #1 WR.
5. The TE situation would be unsettled all season. Alternating between can't block and sorta can catch, to can block but can't catch, to who knows if he can do either consistently, to wow he can really catch but is a constant injury risk.
6. The best cover DB is a rookie. The second best is a 2nd year player who got cut by the team who drafted him.
7. The best pass rusher is a 38 year old who everyone thought was going to be done 3 years ago.
8. For most of the season, 2/3 of the defensive line is a rookie and a veteran they pulled off the scrap heap.
9. 3/4 of the starting secondary is made up of rookies or 2nd year NFL players. Communication and recognition were an issue all season.
10. Jordan Dangerfield played a meaningful role.

If you saw that list about any other team, what would your guess at their record be? Final game they were eliminated in? While I realize every team faces significant challenges every year and there is a ton of talent on the Steelers roster, I look at that list it and does not scream SB team to me.

well put. as pissed as i am for that sorry excuse of a finale from us, we had a lot to be proud of

43Hitman
02-05-2017, 08:15 PM
well put. as pissed as i am for that sorry excuse of a finale from us, we had a lot to be proud of Yep, I have to agree. I'm not ready to blow it all up anymore. :lol:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
02-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Success that they advanced further then last year. Horrible meltdown at the end is hard to take though.

Steeldude
02-05-2017, 08:21 PM
It depends on what you want to look at. The goal is to win the SB. If you don't achieve that then it is a failure.

Born2Steel
02-05-2017, 09:36 PM
It depends on what you want to look at. The goal is to win the SB. If you don't achieve that then it is a failure.

That's the wrong way to approach it. If it's SB or failure no team is successful overall. 1st goal is win the division. 2nd, have a chance to play for a championship. 3rd, win the championship. 2 of 3, not perfect, but pretty damn good.

Steeldude
02-06-2017, 03:53 AM
I said depends. If the Browns made it to the AFCC game it would be a success for them. The Steelers were front runners to go to the SB. They struggled in the post-season. Sure, it was nice to see Dupree healthy enough to play, but the goal for the Steelers was the SB. Of course there are parts in the season that were successful and not so successful, but the bootom line for this team was a SB. BR doesn't have many years left. There are some glaring holes in talent and coaching that need to be improved on.

LloydWoodson
02-06-2017, 08:18 AM

Hamilton dropped a TD. Coates dropped a TD. Mitchell bit on a flea flicker that a veteran safety has no business doing. That's an 18 point swing.

I still don't get Mitchell playing deep. Put him in the strong position and let speedy and smaller Davis cover deep. Mitchell started his career at SS and to be honest he's a little crazy. Put him in the box and let him roam a little bit.

LloydWoodson
02-06-2017, 08:24 AM

That is not what the standard is in New England and was not the standard in Pittsburgh in the 70s

I get what you're saying I do. Still only 6 teams won a playoff game. Steelers are a young team and showing improvement. I scoffed at the #1 power ranking in week 2. Steelers overachieved this year with a young secondary and mediocre pass rush. This team is not the 70s Steelers by all accounts. Bell was carrying the team TD style.

If you can get to the playoffs and then win a game and make a run at the Super Bowl well that's all you can do.

Considering the win over the Bengals last year deserves an asterisk because the Bengals threw away the win at the last minute... getting to the AFC Championship after not truly winning a playoff game since 2010-11 was a huge success.

A lot of you are just overvaluing the Steelers as fans should.

polamalubeast
02-06-2017, 08:29 AM
I get what you're saying I do. Still only 6 teams won a playoff game. Steelers are a young team and showing improvement. I scoffed at the #1 power ranking in week 2. Steelers overachieved this year with a young secondary and mediocre pass rush. This team is not the 70s Steelers by all accounts. Bell was carrying the team TD style.

If you can get to the playoffs and then win a game and make a run at the Super Bowl well that's all you can do.

Considering the win over the Bengals last year deserves an asterisk because the Bengals threw away the win at the last minute... getting to the AFC Championship after not truly winning a playoff game since 2010-11 was a huge success.

No, no asterik, since the steelers played almost all the fourth quarter without Roethlisberger and they had several injuries in this team, notably to the position of running back.Also, the referees missed the false start of A.J Green on his touchdown...

I am not saying that this season was a failure because I only consider the last game as a failure, but I was more proud of the steelers after the last season than I am after the season of this year.

fansince'76
02-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Also, the referees missed the false start of A.J Green on his touchdown...

Not to mention allowing Birth Defect to instigate fights and generally be out of control the entire game...

LloydWoodson
02-06-2017, 09:03 AM
No, no asterik, since the steelers played almost all the fourth quarter without Roethlisberger and they had several injuries in this team, notably to the position of running back.Also, the referees missed the false start of A.J Green on his touchdown...

I am not saying that this season was a failure because I only consider the last game as a failure, but I was more proud of the steelers after the last season than I am after the season of this year.

Umm the Bengals played all 4 quarters with a rookie backup.

Bell was out, Shazier's TD should have stood etc. Bottom line is if Burfict wasn't a goon the Bengals win that game.

Count it though. That's 1 win since 2010. AFC Championship against a very good team is still a success. Steelers need a better pass rush more secondary help and another RB. Of course... everyone will tell you we need a QB to watch Ben from the bench.

tube517
02-06-2017, 09:36 AM

I agree.

I had low expectations with no Bryant and no Dupree for a 1/2 season and then L. Green missing most of this season. Also, with a journeyman 4th string WR opposite of AB?

We did good this year although the AFCC game was a stinker.

Next year will be Super Bowl or bust. I have high expectations next year. If all the pieces are back (A big IF), this should be a great offense with the defense getting more experience and maybe some new pieces at OLB and DB.

polamalubeast
02-06-2017, 09:57 AM
And it's not true that winning a win playoffs means a successful season.

I don't think we can consider the Houston Texans season as a success.

Born2Steel
02-06-2017, 10:10 AM
I said depends. If the Browns made it to the AFCC game it would be a success for them. The Steelers were front runners to go to the SB. They struggled in the post-season. Sure, it was nice to see Dupree healthy enough to play, but the goal for the Steelers was the SB. Of course there are parts in the season that were successful and not so successful, but the bootom line for this team was a SB. BR doesn't have many years left. There are some glaring holes in talent and coaching that need to be improved on.

The SB is the ultimate goal for every team every year. Of course it is. Not reaching does not mean the season is a failure though. The AFC has been represented by Brady, Manning, and BB, except for the 1 Flacco year. You saw just how great Brady was last night. Probably the best ever. We got there 3 times during this period of domination. That alone should speak to how well this organization stays on point and focused on the goal. I refuse to look at this as a failure.

AtlantaDan
02-06-2017, 11:33 AM

I think we are in agreement :drink:

Earlier in this thread I posted the season was a success since I regarded the 2016 Steelers to be a good but not excellent team that met preseason expectations of being the second best team in a down year for the AFC.

The point that I should have clarified is that certain teams at a higher level than the 2016 Steelers (Patriots now, Peyton Manning Colts who kept making the playoffs and flaming out until they won a Super Bowl, 2004 - 2010 Steelers, dynasties such as 90s Cowboys and 80s 49ers) set their sights higher than just winning a playoff game to call the season a success.

ALLD
02-06-2017, 05:54 PM
It was a failure with dumb play calling in the AFC Title Game. That and all of the political protests have pushed me away from football.

I literally only watched 2 plays of the SB and feel a lot less stressed. I think unless the Steeler coaches get smarter and the players look to execute 60 minutes a game I will be watching even less football next year.

I have been a hardcore Steeler fan since 1972, even after we moved out of the Burgh to Miami. I am almost over it all now.

Rotorhead
02-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Success, I think most here felt next year would be our year for a legit run. This year we got far enough to get our young Def some good experience. We are a couple pieces away (OLB, TE and #2 if MB doesnt come back) from our next ring. We lost the last game to the team who won the SB, same as last year. We are just a step away, and if all works out next season, we will take that step.

Steeldude
02-06-2017, 10:40 PM
It was a failure with dumb play calling in the AFC Title Game. That and all of the political protests have pushed me away from football.

I literally only watched 2 plays of the SB and feel a lot less stressed. I think unless the Steeler coaches get smarter and the players look to execute 60 minutes a game I will be watching even less football next year.

I have been a hardcore Steeler fan since 1972, even after we moved out of the Burgh to Miami. I am almost over it all now.

It's just not football any longer. The rules, the commissioner, and the sloppy players today are killing the game. Remember when most WRs could catch the ball? Now they need gloves, but they still can't catch.

Count Steeler
02-07-2017, 06:21 AM
If they build on this season and get to the SB next year, this season was a success.

If they fall apart and don't make the playoffs, this season was a failure.

I don't like the vibe from the Steelers so far, especially Ben, not so much for his musing on his radio show, but talking to Gilbert on the sideline during the game about retiring is a bit disconcerting. If Ben's mind and heart are not in the game any more, we are toast.

Mojouw
02-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Remember when the forward pass wasn't really a thing? Remember 8 man lines? Leather helmets?

tube517
02-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Remember when the forward pass wasn't really a thing? Remember 8 man lines? Leather helmets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnunERZzvzo :chuckle:

Mojouw
02-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Also wasn't stickum a thing that got so ridiculous that had to ban it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtlantaDan
02-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Also wasn't stickum a thing that got so ridiculous that had to ban it?

Those were the days with Lester Hayes :lol:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c3/98/7c/c3987c1055bfd4b1cc5c8aa4defcdc4d.jpghttp://profootballdaly.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Hayes-stickum-photo-Houston-playoff-game.png

Steeldude
02-07-2017, 12:27 PM

No, I don't. Do you?

Mojouw
02-07-2017, 01:01 PM
No, I don't. Do you?

Nope. Just assumed you did. Every single post is about how the game isn't as good as it used to be, players make too much money, mentally soft, or whatever other grumpy old man kick you're on that day.

If it all sucks do much, why watch and comment?

Steeldude
02-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Nope. Just assumed you did. Every single post is about how the game isn't as good as it used to be, players make too much money, mentally soft, or whatever other grumpy old man kick you're on that day.

If it all sucks do much, why watch and comment?

Oh, so you are whining about a meaningless opinion. That sounds about right. If you dislike my comments why read them and/or reply to them? Why not block me? This way your panties don't get into a bunch. Think about it.

By the way, the NFL does suck compared to decades before. I am sorry if that causes your heart despair.

Mojouw
02-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Oh, so you are whining about a meaningless opinion. That sounds about right. If you dislike my comments why read them and/or reply to them? Why not block me? This way your panties don't get into a bunch. Think about it.

By the way, the NFL does suck compared to decades before. I am sorry if that causes your heart despair.

And cue the only other post you have in your bag. A bit of women hating insults, something about how the world/NFL was better before base on zero evidence (ignoring almost all former players who indicate they couldn't do half the crap players today can pull off), and something about blocking your posts.

Maybe you should sign up? You seem to obsessed with women's underwear and tampons lately? https://xdress.com/

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1376/2971/t/3/assets/slide2.jpg?16467147389877694124
(https://xdress.com/)

43Hitman
02-07-2017, 02:34 PM
:pop2:

st33lersguy
02-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Shit just got real

Steeldude
02-07-2017, 03:11 PM
And cue the only other post you have in your bag. A bit of women hating insults, something about how the world/NFL was better before base on zero evidence (ignoring almost all former players who indicate they couldn't do half the crap players today can pull off), and something about blocking your posts.

Maybe you should sign up? You seem to obsessed with women's underwear and tampons lately?

As expected here come the memes to ruin another thread.

Women hating insults? Are you sure you are whining about my posts or another person you have grown attached to on the site?

something about how the world/NFL was better before base on zero evidence

Funny how a very large number of football fans also agree that the NFL is not as fun and/or interesting to watch as in the past. You can find many of them on this very forum. I get it, you think the NFL is as good as ever, and that's fine, but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

ignoring almost all former players who indicate they couldn't do half the crap players today can pull off

Except tackle and catch.

Look, you obviously are getting bent out of shape because you are deeply bothered by my posts. For some odd reason you feel you need to continually obsess and whine about them. I get that you are a liberal and you can't help but throw a tantrum when reading meaningless posts on a football forum, but don't you think you would be better off placing me on ignore? It would save you so much stress. Or I guess you can keep crying.

Mojouw
02-07-2017, 03:19 PM
I love that I'm the whining liberal, but you feel the need to post a point by point refutation of my meaningless opinions that are counter to your meaningless opinions. Who is the special snowflake now?

Oh. No. Memes! Modern technology! My small-minded outdated world-view is threatened by new things! Whose panties are bunched and needs to tuck in their string now?

For the record, nothing you say makes me think all that deeply. Nor am I really cut to my core by posts on a message board. You've just chosen to personally attack at least two posters on here the past few days and I think its bullshit. So i chose to poke the bear about and you responded in a predicable manner.

Steeldude
02-07-2017, 03:38 PM
I love that I'm the whining liberal, but you feel the need to post a point by point refutation of my meaningless opinions that are counter to your meaningless opinions. Who is the special snowflake now?

Oh. No. Memes! Modern technology! My small-minded outdated world-view is threatened by new things! Whose panties are bunched and needs to tuck in their string now?

For the record, nothing you say makes me think all that deeply. Nor am I really cut to my core by posts on a message board. You've just chosen to personally attack at least two posters on here the past few days and I think its bullshit. So i chose to poke the bear about and you responded in a predicable manner.

Yes, I am replying to you point by point. I am trying to help you out. So again, instead of crying about my posts why not place me on ignore? You don't like them so why read them and cause yourself so much stress? Care to explain?

Whose panties are bunched and needs to tuck in their string now

You. You are still carrying on about my post about how the NFL was better in the past than today. I think the NFL was better in the past and you think otherwise. Big deal. Why does that bother you so much?

nothing you say makes me think all that deeply

I said bothered deeply.

You've just chosen to personally attack at least two posters on here

Double standards. I was attacked first and then replied. Try to get the facts straight. Just like how you attacked me first. If you can't take it then don't dish it out.

Mojouw
02-07-2017, 03:51 PM
I'm not stressed. This is entertaining as hell. For the record, I never attacked you personally. I've directed one critical post your way about how you don't like any contracts. I attempted to be light-hearted but sarcastic about it. If you took it wrong - my bad. The other post did not quote you nor did it attempt to directly address your statements. Again, it was an attempt to "troll" the general grumpy vibe around here most days.

Why do conservatives think everything used to be better?

Don't know how to make ironic signature lines!

Steeldude
02-07-2017, 03:54 PM
I'm not stressed. This is entertaining as hell. For the record, I never attacked you personally. I've directed one critical post your way about how you don't like any contracts. I attempted to be light-hearted but sarcastic about it. If you took it wrong - my bad. The other post did not quote you nor did it attempt to directly address your statements. Again, it was an attempt to "troll" the general grumpy vibe around here most days.

Why do conservatives think everything used to be better?

I am sorry. Yes, I can be a grumpy old man more often than not when it comes to the NFL today. Perhaps I am conflicted with nostalgia.

Mojouw
02-07-2017, 03:58 PM
I am sorry. Yes, I can be a grumpy old man more often than not when it comes to the NFL today. Perhaps I am conflicted with nostalgia.

Fair enough. I can be a sarcastic ass who is quick to criticize.

teegre
02-07-2017, 04:02 PM
I need some clarification...

If only Liberals think that a non-Super Bowl winning season can indeed be a success, does that mean that Conservatives have been feeling a sense of failure for all but 6 of the past 51 years???

Sounds about right. :wink02:

What about those who voted for Gary Johnson???

I won't even ask about the Jill Stein supporters.

43Hitman
02-07-2017, 04:13 PM
I need some clarification...

If only Liberals think that a non-Super Bowl winning season can indeed be a success, does that mean that Conservatives have been feeling a sense of failure for all but 6 of the past 51 years???

Sounds about right. :wink02:

What about those who voted for Gary Johnson???

I won't even ask about the Jill Stein supporters.Ha! Gary Johnson voter is looking up Aleppo. :lol:

teegre
02-07-2017, 04:15 PM
More questions...

If my panties do not get in a bunch, but I thought that the season was a success, does that make me a Liberal or a Conservative???

Likewise, if my panties are in a bunch, but I thought the season sucked, does that make me a Conservative or a Liberal?

I think that this thread is giving me menstrual cramps...

Count Steeler
02-07-2017, 04:18 PM
If your panties are in a bunch, you are a tight ass. AND, I have to wonder, why are you wearing panties? Does that make you a candy ass as well?

Hmm, a tight, candy ass.

teegre
02-07-2017, 04:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2FkUF41AA

st33lersguy
02-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Tom Brady has menstrual cramps

steelcityboyz
02-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Tom Brady has menstrual crampsTo go along with 5 rings.:puke:

AtlantaDan
02-07-2017, 07:07 PM
To go along with 5 rings.:puke:

Yep - after that comeback the other night and breaking the 4 ring tie with Bradshaw & Montana, Tom Brady is (and should be) officially out of f**ks to give about what fans of opposing teams think about him

Brady rode in a parade float with a shirt in front of him that seemed designed to deliver a middle finger to Goodell. The shirt said, “Roger that,” and displayed five Super Bowl rings. The first four were across the fingers on one hand, while the fifth was on the middle finger of the other hand.

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/634163854-e1486507607169.jpg?w=250

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/07/tom-bradys-roger-that-shirt-puts-fifth-ring-on-middle-finger/

fansince'76
02-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Yep - after that comeback the other night and breaking the 4 ring tie with Bradshaw & Montana, Tom Brady is (and should be) officially out of f**ks to give about what fans of opposing teams think about him

I'm sure his multitudes of fangirls will more than make up for it while they continue to piss and moan because others don't wuv Tahmmy like they do... :coffee:

AtlantaDan
02-08-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm sure his multitudes of fangirls will more than make up for it while they continue to piss and moan because others don't wuv Tahmmy like they do... :coffee:

If Brady played for the Steelers we would adore him

I hate the Pats but watching that Super Bowl confirmed to me Belichick and Brady are what makes that team - the other talent is not that overwhelming

And you never see him sniping continuously at his own side (the practices are too physical, the young players were overwhelmed) like the QB for a team I follow closely

st33lersguy
02-08-2017, 09:47 AM
If Brady played for the Steelers we would adore him

I hate the Pats but watching that Super Bowl confirmed to me Belichick and Brady are what makes that team - the other talent is not that overwhelming

And you never see him sniping continuously at his own side (the practices are too physical, the young players were overwhelmed) like the QB for a team I follow closely

You may be right that he and Bellichick make that team go but the bolded piece isn't true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9TKEKia9s

And that is not the only time he yells on the sideline

fansince'76
02-08-2017, 09:47 AM

No, he just throws a bitchfit and cries to the refs for a flag every time he gets his hair mussed...

AtlantaDan
02-08-2017, 10:00 AM
You may be right that he and Bellichick make that team go but the bolded piece isn't true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9TKEKia9s

And that is not the only time he yells on the sideline

Arguments on the sidelines are standard operating procedure when people are not performing

I am talking about calling out your teammates and coaches to the media - #7 does it a lot

AB is not the only Steeler who needs to keep certain matters inside the locker room

fansince'76
02-08-2017, 10:07 AM
I am talking about calling out your teammates and coaches to the media - #7 does it a lot

AB is not the only Steeler who needs to keep certain matters inside the locker room

Or he can just get the missus to do it for him while he runs to the locker room to pout...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67oHwqzR4yM'

Much easier to be magnanimous in victory...

AtlantaDan
02-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Or he can just get the missus to do it for him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67oHwqzR4yM

Yep - after losing the Super Bowl I am certain Brady's first action was to give Giselle her talking points

I cannot stand him but he is not the only QB in the league with some personality flaws, although his do not involve having minimal ability to self-edit what he says to the media to the potential detriment to the team

fansince'76
02-08-2017, 10:20 AM
I cannot stand him but he is not the only QB in the league with some personality flaws, although his do not involve having minimal ability to self-edit what he says to the media to the potential detriment to the team

I dunno, I'd say being a party to tampering with equipment then telling a boldfaced lie about it on national TV is a fairly serious character flaw. Brady does not have a career as a politician after football if he can't lie any better than that.

AtlantaDan
02-08-2017, 10:33 AM
I dunno, I'd say being a party to tampering with equipment then telling a boldfaced lie about it on national TV is a fairly serious character flaw. Brady does not have a career as a politician after football if he can't lie any better than that.

Of course the only finding was that Goodell had the authority to reach his conclusions and impose his discipline - neither the District Court or Second Circuit reached a determination on the merits of those allegations

My point is the only reason Brady catches the crap he does here is because he owns the Steelers - as far as character flaws go there are bigger ones that once led to another 4 game suspension that Steelers fans manged to forgive

Jerry Seinfeld summed it up best

https://vimeo.com/47283296

:drink:

fansince'76
02-08-2017, 10:45 AM
I find it hard to believe that Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (the two equipment guys) let air out of the balls of their own accord, but that's just me, I guess.

I thought the whole basis of the court case was if Goodell overstepped his bounds with the suspension and not whether the deflation allegation itself had any merit. And there are PLENTY of Steelers fans who have never (and will never) let Milledgeville go.

And yes, lining up in the LeBeau soft zone and getting shredded by the guy every single time the Steelers play against the Patriots is highly annoying as well. :chuckle:

teegre
02-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Question:

It is February 2009. The Steelers have just won the SuperBowl... and Obama has just started his first term as President. If I'm happy, does that mean that I am a Liberal or am I a Conservative?

What if I'm wearing panties... does that change things???

:huh:

This cross-over between sports and politics is so confusing... especially the cross-dressing portion.