PDA

View Full Version : Rooney on Antonio Brown....

polamalubeast
01-31-2017, 02:26 PM

I hope that the rumors that the steelers will trade Brown will stop.....I am tired to see the Pittsburgh media and others media trying to run Brown out of town!

I mean, Brown made a big mistake but everybody can make mistakes

- - - Updated - - -

fansince'76
01-31-2017, 02:26 PM
I mean, Brown made a big mistake but everybody can make mistakes

Agreed. He's not out getting arrested or anything like that.

teegre
01-31-2017, 02:30 PM
"Childish behavior has no place in the NFL... which is why we got rid of the ping pong tables. Obviously."

tube517
01-31-2017, 02:56 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/75211771.jpg

Steeldude
01-31-2017, 02:57 PM
But what if you can get a lot for Brown in a trade? A high 1st and 2nd round pick this season for Brown. Would that be worth it?

polamalubeast
01-31-2017, 03:06 PM
But what if you can get a lot for Brown in a trade? A high 1st and 2nd round pick this season for Brown. Would that be worth it?

It's very unlikely a team will offer that to the steelers.

43Hitman
01-31-2017, 03:44 PM
But what if you can get a lot for Brown in a trade? A high 1st and 2nd round pick this season for Brown. Would that be worth it?If that's a hypothetical, depending on the team, then hell yeah I take that trade.

Craic
01-31-2017, 03:50 PM
To trade what is for what might be . . . this early in Brown's career? No. Right now, we have a sure thing in Brown. We know him, his work ethic, and what he can do. His mistakes off the field and on are silly and minimal by comparison to others. To trade that for two unknowns who might end up as busts in any number of ways is simply not worth it, not when we're still looking at probably another 5 years of high-output production. Furthermore, trade Brown, and you make Ben's decision to retire that much easier. So it's subtraction by addition.

No thank you. Not at this point in the game.

Mojouw
01-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Trading AB even for multiple high draft picks sets back any Steelers SB window 2-3 seasons.

86WARD
01-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Trading AB even for multiple high draft picks sets back any Steelers SB window 2-3 seasons.

This.

This whole talk is nonsense...people are creating stories that stemmed from one Facebook live video that in reality, wasn't really that harmful to anyone. This nonsense and ridiculousness that is trading Brown is just that. Let's say you get two first round picks and a second and a third and a fifth. Do we need to revisit the 2008 or 2009 draft? I think I'd give all of those picks and players for a player of Brown's talent...no? The likelihood that any of these picks will come remotely close to his talent is a pipe dream at best. The guy is on pace to be one of the greatest Steelers of all-time and one of the greatest WRs the NFL has seen since Jerry Rice. These articles that say the Steelers want to trade him are just dumb.

BlackAndGold
01-31-2017, 04:48 PM

Nobody is offering a first round pick for a soon to be 29 year old WR that also needs a contract extension.

polamalubeast
01-31-2017, 04:59 PM
The media has gone too far.

The stories about Brown were very stupid and if the steelers would have had the idea of trading Brown, it would have been throwing the white flag for the next season and Ben would surely have retired if that would have been the case.

The Media like Ron Cook or PFT love the drama but they've gone too far on Brown

43Hitman
01-31-2017, 05:07 PM
Well, don't take me seriously, I'm just goofing around. I don't want to lose Brown at all. If we did lose Brown, we would probably re-sign Wheaton. That would leave us Bryant, Wheaton, Rodgers, Coates, Ayers, James, and maybe Green. They're not world beaters but it's not a terrible group. Ben would be pissed though. :chuckle:

teegre
01-31-2017, 05:10 PM
But what if you can get a lot for Brown in a trade?

Hypothetically speaking...

I'd accept this trade: straight up for Julio Jones. :wink02:

tube517
01-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Ron Kook's article + Aditi whateverhernameis' false claims = Trade rumors

Is it September yet?

Method28
01-31-2017, 05:30 PM
To trade what is for what might be . . . this early in Brown's career? No. Right now, we have a sure thing in Brown. We know him, his work ethic, and what he can do. His mistakes off the field and on are silly and minimal by comparison to others. To trade that for two unknowns who might end up as busts in any number of ways is simply not worth it, not when we're still looking at probably another 5 years of high-output production. Furthermore, trade Brown, and you make Ben's decision to retire that much easier. So it's subtraction by addition.

No thank you. Not at this point in the game.
I agree here. The amount of criticism Brown has received has been mind blowing to me. He's never gotten into legal trouble and he was never an issue other than dancing (which he was also getting treated unfairly for.)

All of the sudden he uses fb live and he's being put into the same category as other players who are REAL distractions.

I dont trade Brown unless its something absurd. Like a Ricky Williams haul. Brown is just TOO good.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
01-31-2017, 06:38 PM

86WARD
01-31-2017, 06:56 PM

I'd accept this trade: straight up for Julio Jones. :wink02:

That's about the only thing I would consider. I love me some Julio, but I love me some AB as well...

86WARD
01-31-2017, 06:57 PM
I agree here. The amount of criticism Brown has received has been mind blowing to me. He's never gotten into legal trouble and he was never an issue other than dancing (which he was also getting treated unfairly for.)

All of the sudden he uses fb live and he's being put into the same category as other players who are REAL distractions.

I dont trade Brown unless its something absurd. Like a Ricky Williams haul. Brown is just TOO good.

Even a Ricky Williams haul doesn't guarantee anything close to a the talent of AB.

Method28
01-31-2017, 07:21 PM
That's about the only thing I would consider. I love me some Julio, but I love me some AB as well...
Id rather keep Brown in that case. Julio has had some injury problems plus Ben & Brown already have a chemistry. So no thanks.

st33lersguy
01-31-2017, 07:23 PM

Coming from mushmouth, I'd take that to mean trading him would be a bad idea

Method28
01-31-2017, 07:24 PM
Even a Ricky Williams haul doesn't guarantee anything close to a the talent of AB.
Oh i agree. I just wouldnt do it. If i WAS gonna do it id need back picks galore

st33lersguy
01-31-2017, 07:26 PM
I hope this puts to rest the attempt by the sports media to fabricate an asinine topic of discussion for the sake of manufacturing page visits, which as far as I'm concerned is all it is. After all, this topic of discussion started with a 100% made up report on nfl.com

DesertSteel
01-31-2017, 08:29 PM
If that's a hypothetical, depending on the team, then hell yeah I take that trade.
Two unsure birds in the tree for one sure bird in the hand? I'll pass on that.

Psycho Ward 86
01-31-2017, 08:30 PM
How high would this 1st round pick be? Even more curiously, who are the 2 players you would draft hypothetically with a "high" 1st round pick and high 2nd round pick?

Furthermore, in the immediate short term, do any of you expect those 2 players to exceed the production (regardless of position) that AB gives us in our soon to close superbowl window?

seems highly unlikely. cant believe how contagious these dumb trade rumors are

teegre
01-31-2017, 08:37 PM

Exactly.

I like burrotos... and, I like tacos. Either way, it's Mexican food.

teegre
01-31-2017, 10:08 PM
Speaking of trade rumors...

What would you give up to acquire Brandin Cooks?

He'd be a great #2. His style reminds me of AB (not nearly as good, but similar).

Mojouw
01-31-2017, 10:35 PM

He'd be a great #2. His style reminds me of AB (not nearly as good, but similar).

Not sure about Cooks for this offense. He can take the top off a defense, but he is small. Steelers have a bunch of smaller WRs. I would be more interested in a guy like Sammy Watkins - you know if his foot wasn't held together with duct tape and bailing wire. Either way, he would never become available.

One guy I would like to see if the Steelers "system" of developing WRs would have any success with is Dorial Green-Beckham. I get that he is a head case and the definition of looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. But Steelers seem to get the most out of guys and have developed a series of lightly regarded WRs through the draft. Could they do it with guys off the scrap heap?

LloydWoodson
01-31-2017, 10:59 PM
This is what people don't get: Steelers are in win now mode. Worrying about drafting the next QB is a waste. Worrying about trading AB for picks is a waste.

The only way it makes sense to trade AB would be if Ben retired. Then it doesn't matter if AB is on the team because no matter which QB came in they couldn't get AB the ball.

The only WR that would help most rookies is the Mike Evans/Julio Jones variety that can win battles for lob passes.

Pretty sure Ben is just being his drama queen self.

teegre
02-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Not sure about Cooks for this offense. He can take the top off a defense, but he is small. Steelers have a bunch of smaller WRs. I would be more interested in a guy like Sammy Watkins - you know if his foot wasn't held together with duct tape and bailing wire. Either way, he would never become available.

I hear what you're saying: we need a tall receiver. That said, I just want a legitimate #2... tall, short, fast, slow, deep threat, possession receiver... anything to keep teams from doubling AB.

polamalubeast
02-01-2017, 11:03 AM
I hear what you're saying: we need a tall receiver. That said, I just want a legitimate #2... tall, short, fast, slow, deep threat, possession receiver... anything to keep teams from doubling AB.

Bryant could be the answer if he is clean....

Psycho Ward 86
02-01-2017, 11:52 AM

All those points we leave on the board with our redzone offense and we go midget hunting? No thanks I'll pass. Moving the ball has never been the problem. Red zone efficiency has. We need a big bruising back and satellite back to complement Bell as well as a big athletic tight end that isnt always hurt. As far as im concerned we already have one of those if he gets his head on straight (Karlos Williams)

teegre
02-01-2017, 08:23 PM
All those points we leave on the board with our redzone offense and we go midget hunting? No thanks I'll pass. Moving the ball has never been the problem. Red zone efficiency has. We need a big bruising back and satellite back to complement Bell as well as a big athletic tight end that isnt always hurt. As far as im concerned we already have one of those if he gets his head on straight (Karlos Williams)

Fair point.

In college, Cooks was an amazing red-zone scorer (third in the nation with something like 10 TDs). In the pros... not so much.

Now, is that drop off due to him being stymied by defenses?... or, is it because the Saints/Brees typically look for their TEs in the red-zone???

AtlantaDan
02-01-2017, 09:26 PM

I'd accept this trade: straight up for Julio Jones. http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/wink02.gif

AB may find out just doing your job well does not mean nobody pays attention

With the Falcons run to the Super Bowl Julio is gaining good pub as the anti-AB

Julio Jones, Star Falcons Receiver, Shakes Off Cornerbacks and Celebrity

Jones, the Atlanta Falcons star, has spent the last three seasons locked in a rivalry of sorts — for recognition as the N.F.L.’s top receiver — with Antonio Brown of the Pittsburgh Steelers. But while Brown has become a celebrity along the lines of Michael Irvin or Terrell Owens off the field, Jones has seemed content to gain the respect of everyone in the game, with little use for fame beyond that...

This weekend may be Jones’s chance to surpass Brown in celebrity. As a Steelers rookie, Brown made his only appearance in the Super Bowl, catching one pass for 1 yard...

Over the last three seasons, their statistics have been remarkably similar. Jones (http://www.nfl.com/player/juliojones/2495454/profile), who will turn 28 on Friday (http://www.nfl.com/player/juliojones/2495454/profile), has caught 323 passes for 4,873 yards and 20 touchdowns, while Brown, 28, who has played two more games (http://www.nfl.com/player/antoniobrown/2508061/profile), has 371 receptions for 4,816 yards and 35 touchdowns.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/sports/football/julio-jones-atlanta-falcons-super-bowl.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fsp orts&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

That last line on stats over the past three seasons confirms the obvious with regard to the Ron Cook and Shannon Sharpe hot takes on trading Brown - you are not going to immediately replace that sort of productivity, no matter who you get back in a trade and draft picks, with Ben's career winding down

And FWIW being compared to Irvin and TO for your celebrity off the field might not be a good outcome either

st33lersguy
02-01-2017, 10:17 PM
That last line on stats over the past three seasons confirms the obvious with regard to the Ron Cook and Shannon Sharpe hot takes on trading Brown - you are not going to immediately replace that sort of productivity, no matter who you get back in a trade and draft picks, with Ben's career winding down

Yeah, odds are you will not find AB's historic level of production in the draft. Trade someone like AB and you are definitely looking at a step back no matter which WR you draft to replace him. As far as I'm concerned, a couple of twerks after the TD (which btw he stopped after Tomlin made an issue of how it was hurting the team) and one facebook video that captured Tomlin calling the Patriots assholes is not worth giving away his level of production

polamalubeast
02-02-2017, 11:25 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Mojouw
02-02-2017, 01:09 PM
So to recap - player makes a poor decision. Grumpy older folks freak out. Technology and branding are scary. Locker rooms are sacred. Loud Noises. Coach and owner publicly admonish player. Media freaks the absolute hell out. Player then has to go on TV to say he doesn't want to be traded?

We are really down the rabbit hole here. The NFL talking heads totally invented this entire story out of almost thin air! We all know what it looks like when a WR wants traded.

https://youtu.be/IGZOcxpRuoo

Psycho Ward 86
02-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Fair point.

In college, Cooks was an amazing red-zone scorer (third in the nation with something like 10 TDs). In the pros... not so much.

Now, is that drop off due to him being stymied by defenses?... or, is it because the Saints/Brees typically look for their TEs in the red-zone???

if a QB like Brees cant make Cooks a great red zone threat then not a lot of people can. I'll take my chances with the bigger guys. Hopefully Bryant comes back in the fold along with a high drat pick in the form of a lengthy tight end

AtlantaDan
02-02-2017, 03:51 PM
So to recap - player makes a poor decision. Grumpy older folks freak out. Technology and branding are scary. Locker rooms are sacred. Loud Noises. Coach and owner publicly admonish player. Media freaks the absolute hell out. Player then has to go on TV to say he doesn't want to be traded?

We are really down the rabbit hole here. The NFL talking heads totally invented this entire story out of almost thin air! We all know what it looks like when a WR wants traded.

https://youtu.be/IGZOcxpRuoo

When Tomlin said in his Tuesday press conference it would be a shame if Brown became one of those players that moved from team to team that gave the green light for the trade discussions by the sport talk chattering class. That went beyond saying how disappointed Tomlin was. Tomlin bears a lot of the responsibility for launching the discussions of a trade.

Mojouw
02-02-2017, 04:26 PM
When Tomlin said in his Tuesday press conference it would be a shame if Brown became one of those players that moved from team to team that gave the green light for the trade discussions by the sport talk chattering class. That went beyond saying how disappointed Tomlin was. Tomlin bears a lot of the responsibility for launching the discussions of a trade.

Don't care. All nonsense anyway. Wake me up when AB holds a press conference doing push-ups in his driveway. Then we'll know it got real.

AtlantaDan
02-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Don't care. All nonsense anyway. Wake me up when AB holds a press conference doing push-ups in his driveway. Then we'll know it got real.

Nonsense is what it takes to draw page clicks if you have a sports talk show or site but you need something to build on.

For someone who is so good at usually saying nothing in his Tuesday sessions Tomlin delivered gold to those who provide hot takes when he dissed Bradshaw with the Hollywood Henderson return fire and then raised the possibility of Brown moving on.

Maybe Tomlin has been hanging around Ben and AB too long and figures if they can draw attention to themselves why not me? :chuckle:

Mojouw
02-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Nonsense is what it takes to draw page clicks if you have a sports talk show or site but you need something to build on.

For someone who is so good at usually saying nothing in his Tuesday sessions Tomlin delivered gold to those who provide hot takes when he dissed Bradshaw with the Hollywood Henderson return fire and then raised the possibility of Brown moving on.

Maybe Tomlin has been hanging around Ben and AB too long and figures if they can draw attention to themselves why not me? :chuckle:

I think Tomlin basically trolls the media on a regular basis. I think his AB comments were basically to let AB have to deal with what he had to deal with. Likely taught the lesson better than any other method.

His Hollywood Henderson comment might be one of the funniest damn things an NFL coach has ever said.

tube517
02-02-2017, 07:12 PM
p/BQB35uKhHOG

maurkicepouncey Can't hold my tongue anymore tired of all the hate, bullshit stories!! AB is a team player loved by all his teammates especially ME! You against him you against me ! #SteelersNation @ab

teegre
02-02-2017, 08:19 PM
p/BQB35uKhHOG

#FreeHernandez

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
02-05-2017, 02:52 AM
Brown has been the best WR in the league for a few years now and pay the guy! We don't win a championship without him.

tube517
02-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Antonio Brown says he has 'growing up to do,' vows to rebuild trust

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18645396/antonio-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-some-growing-do

lipps83
02-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Antonio Brown says he has 'growing up to do,' vows to rebuild trust

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18645396/antonio-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-some-growing-do

At least he is willing to look at himself to try to make the necessary changes others think he needs. As his talent shined his social media ego also grew. I don't really have a problem with anything else he has done other than the facebook streaming in the locker room. Everything else is blown out of proportion.

I have no problem with his wanting the ball all the time. I want every player to demand the ball. I want every player to want the ball when the game is on the line because they know they can rise above the moment. If they don't want the ball every play, I would rather they not be on the team because they may lack some confidence in big situations. You might not be able to count on them when you need them most.

I don't have a problem with his celebrating. Celebrate your successes. The NFL (and some fans) want a military approach to the game. The military will strip away your identity (believe me, I was there). They don't want human beings, they want robots. Not everyone is Barry Sanders and I am okay with that. Somehow we think robots are humble. If you are pretending to be humble, you aren't humble but are merely an actor. I don't want humble, I want to see people expressing their emotions good and bad. Humility asks you to think less of yourself in the presence of others that believe they less.

86WARD
02-09-2017, 03:43 PM
I don't want a WR that doesn't want the ball every play. I don't want a RB that doesn't want the ball every play and I don't want a QB that doesn't get upset...lol.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
02-09-2017, 07:25 PM
At least he is willing to look at himself to try to make the necessary changes others think he needs. As his talent shined his social media ego also grew. I don't really have a problem with anything else he has done other than the facebook streaming in the locker room. Everything else is blown out of proportion.

I have no problem with his wanting the ball all the time. I want every player to demand the ball. I want every player to want the ball when the game is on the line because they know they can rise above the moment. If they don't want the ball every play, I would rather they not be on the team because they may lack some confidence in big situations. You might not be able to count on them when you need them most.

I don't have a problem with his celebrating. Celebrate your successes. The NFL (and some fans) want a military approach to the game. The military will strip away your identity (believe me, I was there). They don't want human beings, they want robots. Not everyone is Barry Sanders and I am okay with that. Somehow we think robots are humble. If you are pretending to be humble, you aren't humble but are merely an actor. I don't want humble, I want to see people expressing their emotions good and bad. Humility asks you to think less of yourself in the presence of others that believe they less.This is probably the best post I read on Brown and agree with all and my thoughts exactly. You did a better job though then I could do and great post!