PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Changes

Shoes
01-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Possible coaching changes? Haley, Smith, Butler, Lake, Mann? I think Mann may retire, I could see the Steelers replacing Haley with Fitchtner (Ben would play another five years :chuckle:). Butler and Lake will stay, but Smith may be out.

polamalubeast
01-28-2017, 02:02 PM
I would not be surprised if Haley is out.It would already be announced if he would be back.

Steeldude
01-28-2017, 02:02 PM
It doesn't matter if Tomlin is still the HC. He will use the same game plan next year vs the Patriots. Unless he completely stays out of the DC and OC's way.

Butler doesn't seem to have a clue. Lake hasn't done much either. Porter is a joke.

Back to Tomlin, IMO he cannot judge talent. That pertains to coaching hires too.

polamalubeast
01-28-2017, 02:08 PM
It doesn't matter if Tomlin is still the HC. He will use the same game plan next year vs the Patriots. Unless he completely stays out of the DC and OC's way.

Butler doesn't seem to have a clue. Lake hasn't done much either. Porter is a joke.

Back to Tomlin, IMO he cannot judge talent. That pertains to coaching hires too.

Tomlin is far from perfect, but I do not agree that Tomlin is not able to judge talent....I mean the steelers were at the AFC title game this year and only Roethlisberger and Harrison were an players of Cowher and in the case of Harrison it was Tomlin who gave his first chance to be a starter in 2007.

Moose
01-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Give Haley walking paper's, play calling is outdated. Too many games Ben had questionable play's. Redzone is unprofessional and pathetic. I saw high school and college games that had better calls, especially at the 1 foot mark. I'm satisfied with Tomlin, he's not the greatest, but in the top choices. I would imagine there are 20+ teams out there that would snatch him up. But I really don't think anyone leaves.

Born2Steel
01-28-2017, 02:13 PM

Completely disagree. Are you basing this judgement on one game, or the past 2 seasons? If only on the last game I can see a point worth debating. But over the past 2 seasons we have watched our defense become something we can be proud of again. That has to be due to Tomlin and Butler. It didn't just happen. Plus this season was largely played without Cam, and with rookies and 2nd year guys. We still need a true pass rusher. We improved with Dupree but we need to get better in that area. That still doesn't equal Tomlin can't judge talent and Butler has no clue. That's just silly over-reaction.

Shoes
01-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Completely disagree. Are you basing this judgement on one game, or the past 2 seasons? If only on the last game I can see a point worth debating. But over the past 2 seasons we have watched our defense become something we can be proud of again. That has to be due to Tomlin and Butler. It didn't just happen. Plus this season was largely played without Cam, and with rookies and 2nd year guys. We still need a true pass rusher. We improved with Dupree but we need to get better in that area. That still doesn't equal Tomlin can't judge talent and Butler has no clue. That's just silly over-reaction.

Dupree really seems to have taken a leap forward after the surgery ...and a bit of weight loss. Agreed, with a pass rusher and maybe someone to move Big Dan out we should be in good shape.

Born2Steel
01-28-2017, 02:18 PM
On the offensive side of the ball we have to grow and improve drastically over this off season. If that means replacing Haley, so be it. His schemes hold us back,IMO, anyway. Ben does better drawing up plays in the dirt than Haley does in the film room.

ST MUST GET BETTER. No more patience with the dumb crap week in and week out. Coaching, retooling personnel, whatever. Blow it up because it is not working or improving.

st33lersguy
01-28-2017, 02:26 PM

Agreed, this defense is starting to gel real nicely and making wholesale changes could disrupt that. If anything, I would say add a corner that can cover man-man.

I also say keep Haley, yes he is flawed and yes his play-calling sucks, keep in mind this team scored 399 points with Ben missing 2 games and not feeling right for 2 other games, with Bell missing 4 games, with only 1 WR and TE that wasn't a rookie/wasn't used sparingly last year. Plus he has extended Ben's career

Danny Smith on the other hand, he's got to go, he is horrible

SteelerFanInStl
01-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Why hasn't Danny Smith been fired yet? Why do we have to ask this question every year?

AtlantaDan
01-28-2017, 05:43 PM

This being based on the Steelers getting to the AFC championship and making the playoffs for three consecutive years for the first time since the mid-90s or something else?

This just in - the other 31 teams in the NFL also put some resources into winning

Tomlin has issues but if he could not judge player or coaching talent he would have been battling the Browns for teh AFC North cellar for the past several years

Steeldude
01-28-2017, 05:46 PM
Tomlin is far from perfect, but I do not agree that Tomlin is not able to judge talent....I mean the steelers were at the AFC title game this year and only Roethlisberger and Harrison were an players of Cowher and in the case of Harrison it was Tomlin who gave his first chance to be a starter in 2007.

Take away Harrison and you get Jones and company. Each season speaks for itself. When Harrison is in the defense plays far better.

The two most important players on the team(at the moment) are BR and Harrison. Now I can't say take away BR because when you take away most starting QBs the offense will struggle.

Isn't Tomlin supposed to be a secondary wiz? The only DB he has drafted that turned out to be any good was Gay. They jury is still out on Davis and Burns. I do like the Davis pick.

If they meet the Patriots next season I feel the exact same game plan will be used.

Harrison was given the reigns because Porter was a cap casualty. Tomlin also let Harrison go in favor of a very, very poor OLB in Jones. Tomlin also started Jones over Harrison for 4 years.

- - - Updated - - -

The defense became better when Harrison was re-inserted. Tomlin placed Jones into the starting lineup due to his draft status, not ability. It was a complete failure each season. Everyone knew Jones was useless, but Tomlin kept forcing it.

Are you basing this judgement on one game, or the past 2 seasons?

Each game against the Patriots. Do you think it will be different next season? Belichick and the Patriots will crush the Steelers again next season if he allows the same tired game plan.

polamalubeast
01-28-2017, 06:05 PM
100% agree that the gameplan against the patriots were horrible...I hope Tomlin will learn from it.Only the future will tell us.

But if we compare the talent that the steelers have in comparison to 2012 or 2013,this is not comparable, Roethlisberger and Harrison can not do it all alone!...We are not in the NBA!

Our drafts since 2014 have been very good and I hope that the steelers will still have another good draft in 2017 and that it will improve the team on defense.

Born2Steel
01-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Pretty hollow, Steeldude. Just ranting on Jarvis Jones again. I guess Dupree, Heyward, Tuitt, Burns, Davis, Shazier, Hargrave, and that's just current positives on the defensive side, give Tomlin zero credit? He drafted them after all. We have every reason to believe he will find some more gems in this year's draft as well. You think Tomlin is a bad coach? He's been to the super bowl twice. That's pretty lucky for a bad coach. We won the AFC North this season. We made it to the AFCCG. Disappointing finish? Yes. But not a reason to blow it all up and start over. That's just plain Browns.

st33lersguy
01-28-2017, 06:41 PM
The defense has made great strides and one of the top units in the NFL over the final 7 games, yes Harrison had a lot to do with that, but the young talent Pittsburgh accumulated on defense the last 3 years has a lot to do with that as well

86WARD
01-28-2017, 06:59 PM
How about Danny Smith...fucking cut him off at the neck.

st33lersguy
01-28-2017, 07:22 PM
How about Danny Smith...fucking cut him off at the neck.

Should have been fired years ago

GBMelBlount
01-28-2017, 09:05 PM
Tomlin was young and inexperienced and won his superbowl because he inherited Ben & a great team imo..

After the superbowl win I felt he was complacent and did not draft very well nor develop players very well for several years. However, I attribute this to youth and inexperience.

Now I think he is more experienced and is drafting & developing better but I feel the game planning, play calling and some coaching is still lacking.

Ben has a very small window and while I think Tomlin is a "Good" coach, I am not sure he will do what needs to be done on the coaching, planning or play callin to get us another lombardi before Ben retires. I hope I am wrong.

At the same time, JUST having Bryant this year could have made all the difference.

Fingers are crossed and praying Tomlin and team can make the tough decisions which are likely needed...

DesertSteel
01-28-2017, 10:35 PM
I would not be surprised if Haley is out.It would already be announced if he would be back.
What is there to announce?? There's zero chance that Haley is gone. Same for Butler.

polamalubeast
01-29-2017, 07:14 AM
What is there to announce?? There's zero chance that Haley is gone. Same for Butler.

Haley has no contract for next year....

Steeldude
01-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Pretty hollow, Steeldude. Just ranting on Jarvis Jones again. I guess Dupree, Heyward, Tuitt, Burns, Davis, Shazier, Hargrave, and that's just current positives on the defensive side, give Tomlin zero credit? He drafted them after all. We have every reason to believe he will find some more gems in this year's draft as well. You think Tomlin is a bad coach? He's been to the super bowl twice. That's pretty lucky for a bad coach. We won the AFC North this season. We made it to the AFCCG. Disappointing finish? Yes. But not a reason to blow it all up and start over. That's just plain Browns.

You asked me about my comment on Tomlin judging talent. I brought up the Jones debacle. Do you think it was a good move to keep Harrison on the bench and hand Jones the starting job each year based on draft status? He certainly didn't earn the starting job on ability. Tomlin is supposed to be a secondary wiz, but I haven't seen any DBs drafted that I would say are good. The jury is still out on Burns and Davis. I like Davis. He is a smart, young man. As for Burns, if they decide to play more man next year I hope he isn't grabby like in college. To play zone you need to be smart and disciplined.

Actually, this past draft I was pleased. We don't know for sure if Tomlin chose these players or even he chose Jones. Whether it's Tomlin or the scouts the drafting needs to be better. But when a player(Jones for example) consistently shows he cannot play well then he needs to be sitting. I am all for Harrison resting on plays next season. Perhaps he could play 65% or so of the plays, depending on the situation/game. However, I don't want to see Jones giving him the breather. Hopefully they do not re-sign him.

I don't think Tomlin is a bad coach. I think he is about average. Switzer went to a SB too. Ditka has gone to a SB too. I wouldn't call either of them bad coaches or good coaches.

I never said fire Tomlin. I said of the Steelers play the Patriots again it will be the same outcome with the same game plan. I do feel a new DC would be better. Someone fresh and hungry who knows how to game plan and isn't afraid to bench or even cut(if given permission) certain players to achieve the best defense in the NFL. Maybe they will go to a 4-3(Heyward, Hargrave, McCullers, Tuitt). It looks good on paper. They need to do something. The pass rush has pretty much been reliant on Harrison or stunts. It would be nice to see other players beat their man one-on-one like Harrison once in awhile rather than relying on the schemes/stunts. Hopefully Dupree will take huge strides forward.

- - - Updated - - -

100% agree that the gameplan against the patriots were horrible...I hope Tomlin will learn from it.Only the future will tell us.

But if we compare the talent that the steelers have in comparison to 2012 or 2013,this is not comparable, Roethlisberger and Harrison can not do it all alone!...We are not in the NBA!

Our drafts since 2014 have been very good and I hope that the steelers will still have another good draft in 2017 and that it will improve the team on defense.

I liked last year's draft. Jerald Hawkins could be a good one. Hopefully Golson can make it through pre-season without being put on life support again.

Born2Steel
01-29-2017, 06:52 PM
Steeldude, I can pretty much agree on your last post. I think Tomlin is better than average though. He's been here, what 10 seasons? 5 division champs, 3 times to the AFCCG, and 2 SB appearances with 1 title. That's in the Brady/Manning era also. Maybe you never said 'fire Tomlin', however you did say 'as long as he's here we won't win' type stuff, which I took to mean you wanted him gone. I get the frustration, that was a disappointing effort and loss to a team we really can't stand to lose to.

I would rather not change defensive coaches yet. We are playing mostly rookies and 2nd year guys, and changing coaching styles will just hold back development, IMO. I would rather see coaching changes made on the offensive side. We under produced all season, again IMO.

Anyway, here's hoping for a productive and positive draft and offseason.:crossed::drink:

polamalubeast
02-01-2017, 02:56 PM

tube517
02-01-2017, 03:16 PM

Cheerleading evaluations??? :chuckle:

teegre
02-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Cheerleading evaluations??? :chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAK9AZlptx8

Here's Todd Haley's tryout... :lol:

Devilsdancefloor
02-02-2017, 08:23 AM
well danny smith can go go go! our best option at OLB coach was hired by the jets! if butler goes who replaces him? Mann probably will retire not sure if that is good or bad. coach Mitchell and munch can stay as long as they want.

86WARD
02-02-2017, 08:51 AM
I just want Smith out. Porter has done a decent job...other than being a dope off field...but then allegedly, so is Tomlin.

Born2Steel
02-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Who makes the decisions on personnel? Does Tomlin tell Smith who he wants on KR and to just 'coach em up'? Or does Smith select the personnel he wants out there? Sure there is some group effort, but to which way does it lean? I think the overall feeling on here is it can be better with personnel changes. Who's call is that?

Iron Steeler
02-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Does tomlin design or call any plays? Or does he just delegatw that to his DC or OC

ALLD
02-04-2017, 11:42 PM
STs has not seen the same progress as the OL. There is the case.

steelcityboyz
02-05-2017, 09:06 AM
It wouldn't break my heart if Danny Smith and Haley are shown the door. With that said I think Butler needs another season here. What are they saving Justin Gilbert for? He comes out of college with all that talent goes to a shit team with shit coaching as was not happy. Cockring IMO fell off as the season went on, Why not give a high draft pick a chance since he's in a different position with a good team with good coaches and players and maybe he will excel?

Steel Peon
02-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Why all the disapproval of Haley? The offense was by far our strong suit this year, and it's not his fault we only have 3 legit targets in the passing game. Plus, if Bell goes down we not only lose our running game, but also 1 of those legit targets, turning us into a mediocre offense as evidenced in the AFCCG. We have a draft/FA problem on offense, not a coaching one. If I have to tell anyone what the real problem this team has, then you haven't been paying attention.