PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones Deserving Of Second Contract In Pittsburgh

Shoes
01-28-2017, 10:48 AM
I pretty much agree with this. I think the Steelers pick Ben's replacement in 2018 or 2019.

It’s time to talk about Landry Jones. The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted him in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft with an eye not toward him developing into a capable starting quarterback, but rather backup quarterback that could learn under Ben Roethlisberger in the late stages of his career.
He did that. But now he is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. And the Steelers really don’t have any other particularly lucrative alternatives to re-signing him at the moment. Jones is far from being one of the most popular players on the roster but he has done much better than many give him credit for.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/landry-jones-deserving-second-contract-pittsburgh/

Born2Steel
01-28-2017, 10:59 AM
What I disagree with is this, " but he has done much better than many give him credit for. ".

Landry Jones has not become a suitable back up. That is the very centerpiece of the QB discussion.

What I do/may agree with is this, "And the Steelers really don’t have any other particularly lucrative alternatives to re-signing him at the moment.".

Let me add this; that we fans know about. I'll continue to hammer the Mettenberger drum until he proves me wrong. If Jones will move to #3, then resign him. He may want to leave. He may feel he could flourish in a different system. I think he may be right. Fact is, he hasn't flourished in THIS system.

vader29
01-28-2017, 11:11 AM
http://ohtoptens.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Grumpy-Cat-NO-4.jpg

Count Steeler
01-28-2017, 11:14 AM
And I'm pretty sure when we play the Pats* next season, the zone defense WILL work!

Jones has been given ample opportunity. NEXT!

Shoes
01-28-2017, 11:18 AM
http://ohtoptens.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Grumpy-Cat-NO-4.jpg

What option do you have? This draft is very thin and I can't see the Steelers wasting a pick at QB in 2017. The Talk of Romo and Garoppolo is not going to happen, thankfully. I'd be fine with Jones & Mush battling it out for #2

vader29
01-28-2017, 11:28 AM
I'd either draft someone in the late rounds or sign a free agent to battle with Mettenberger for the two spot. One of the local sports talk shows said Jones could be looking to get 5 to 6 million per year as a backup, just don't think he worth anywhere near that.

Born2Steel
01-28-2017, 11:35 AM
What option do you have? This draft is very thin and I can't see the Steelers wasting a pick at QB in 2017. The Talk of Romo and Garoppolo is not going to happen, thankfully. I'd be fine with Jones & Mush battling it out for #2

Truth is, we don't know that either. Dak Prescott is the perfect example. If he does not get his opportunity last season, nobody knows what he is capable of. Last year's draft talk, we discussed QBs. EVERYBODY ON THIS FORUM said no to Dak. I'm sure there were zero Cowboy fans doing flips in celebration when they drafted him either. The common point that we keep circling is 'when is it time to try something different'. I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows. It's a risk of the unknown. But what we do know is Landry Jones has not grown into what we NEED him to be here. If we do move on that will be the reason, not cost. Ben was a gamble when we drafted him. A lot of teams didn't take that gamble, we did. And we won. Looking at recent drafts, I respect and trust our FO to make the right decisions in regard to personnel.

Edman
01-28-2017, 11:35 AM
No thank you.

The guy has a great arm, but he has no touch and is inaccurate. He also has no balls or competitive drive. He's perfectly happy being Ben's backup instead of a leader.

He doesn't want to step on any toes or hurt Ben's feelings. That's not what the Steelers need if they're going to look at the future after Roethlisberger.

Shoes
01-28-2017, 11:41 AM
Jones hasn't panned out as quickly as expected, but as Ben has said many times, he's very smart. This is why I think the Steelers hang on to him, he's smart, understands the offense very well and is humble. I'd sure be open to the FA market but not a Romo or Garoppolo.

- - - Updated - - -

No thank you.

The guy has a great arm, but he has no touch and is inaccurate. He also has no balls or competitive drive. He's perfectly happy being Ben's backup instead of a leader.

He doesn't want to step on any toes or hurt Ben's feelings. That's not what the Steelers need if they're going to look at the future after Roethlisberger.

He is not the future, they need to draft that guy and he isn't in this draft.

Shoes
01-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Truth is, we don't know that either. Dak Prescott is the perfect example. If he does not get his opportunity last season, nobody knows what he is capable of. Last year's draft talk, we discussed QBs. EVERYBODY ON THIS FORUM said no to Dak. I'm sure there were zero Cowboy fans doing flips in celebration when they drafted him either. The common point that we keep circling is 'when is it time to try something different'. I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows. It's a risk of the unknown. But what we do know is Landry Jones has not grown into what we NEED him to be here. If we do move on that will be the reason, not cost. Ben was a gamble when we drafted him. A lot of teams didn't take that gamble, we did. And we won. Looking at recent drafts, I respect and trust our FO to make the right decisions in regard to personnel.

That isn't completely true, I was for a solid back up (as were others) to Ben and you and TR were for Dak as were the Steelers. It was pretty clear to see Dak was good, but you are correct, no one knows. The only visible guy for a backup I can see is Mahomes.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/25404-Backup-QB/page3?highlight=Prescott

steelreserve
01-28-2017, 12:35 PM
What? No.

He tried, we had 4 years to look at him, and he obviously does not have what it takes to be anything more than a below-average NFL quarterback. Mettenberger should be the #2, and if he turns out to be as bad as Jones, we keep looking. What we should NOT do is settle for a D+ at that position.

Shoes
01-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Any thoughts on Mahomes? The kid sure has an arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FY0MdW3smM

Steeldude
01-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Many were perfectly content with Batch and Leftwich. IMO, Jones is better than both of them.

Shoes
01-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Many were perfectly content with Batch and Leftwich. IMO, Jones is better than both of them.

He's sure more durable. :chuckle:

Born2Steel
01-28-2017, 01:51 PM

What does that have to do with today's discussion. Better but not good enough still equals not good enough. Besides, Lefty AND Batch both could run the offense. Jones has not learned to do that. It's not a dislike for Jones at all. It's all about can he be the QB to win us a few games if Ben misses time. There is no faith in that after 4 years.

Steeldude
01-28-2017, 02:09 PM
What does that have to do with today's discussion. Better but not good enough still equals not good enough. Besides, Lefty AND Batch both could run the offense. Jones has not learned to do that. It's not a dislike for Jones at all. It's all about can he be the QB to win us a few games if Ben misses time. There is no faith in that after 4 years.

Batch couldn't throw beyond 5 yards. Leftwich was abysmal when he was here.

I'm all for upgrading every position, but who is a definite upgrade over Jones at the moment?

From what I have heard/read Mettenberger is horrible in practice.

polamalubeast
01-28-2017, 02:13 PM
I do not think Jones will want to stay with the steelers for the 2017 season...Jones will surely go into a team where his chances are going to be better to start some games.

For the replacement of Roethlisberger,I'd rather wait until next season unless Ben retires this year.Now the QB not need to learn in the sideline to be a very good starter.

st33lersguy
01-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Landry deserves a 2nd contract? Based off of what, one good half at home against 1-15 Cleveland?

Born2Steel
01-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Landry deserves a 2nd contract? Based off of what, one good half at home against 1-15 Cleveland?

In all fairness, Jones did not have Bell or Brown. That said, he still did not convince me of anything new. Our defense bailed us out of that game, and the Browns' letting Hamilton get behind them for the final TD. The Browns lost that game more than we won it. They could have kicked a game winner in regulation but instead tried to score the TD and fumbled it away. So, if Jones had lost to the Browns, at home, would this even be a discussion today?

polamalubeast
01-28-2017, 02:29 PM
In all fairness, Jones did not have Bell or Brown. That said, he still did not convince me of anything new. Our defense bailed us out of that game, and the Browns' letting Hamilton get behind them for the final TD. The Browns lost that game more than we won it. They could have kicked a game winner in regulation but instead tried to score the TD and fumbled it away. So, if Jones had lost to the Browns, at home, would this even be a discussion today?

The Browns made a lot of stupid mistakes in the 2nd half that I am convinced that the browns have intentionally lost to have the first overall pick.

st33lersguy
01-28-2017, 02:30 PM
So, if Jones had lost to the Browns, at home, would this even be a discussion today?

No it wouldn't

SteelerFanInStl
01-28-2017, 02:31 PM
No thanks. Landry hasn't shown anything in the 4 years that he's been here. I'd rather see what Mettenberger can do.

Moose
01-28-2017, 02:33 PM
I don't believe Ben will retire this year or next. His contract is for 2 more yrs (2019) and if he goes he loses approx. $51 million, I just don't see that happening. I hate to sign Jones also, he's definitely not deserving of a second contract. He may get us a win here or there, but hardly anyone is confident in him when he's put in the game, which is a real shame after the year's he's been here. But all we are asking for is him to carry us for a week or two and so far he has been able to do that. He definitely isn't a franchise QB. He should have been gone year's ago, but the FO kept him for some reason so we are stuck with him until the draft sends some QBs to the market.

Born2Steel
01-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Didn't Landry Jones come from the exact same system as Sam Bradford? And it seems to me that Bradford is valued MUCH higher than Jones ever has been. If you wouldn't want Sam Bradford leading this team, then it makes no sense to try to make a case for Landry Jones. Plus, I would wager, we COULD get Bradford if we wanted, which would be an instant upgrade over Jones. And probably Mettenberger too.

GBMelBlount
01-28-2017, 09:19 PM

Jones is an average backup and is a safe choice imo. I am fine if we offer him the going rate.

If we choose someone else I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that.

DesertSteel
01-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Landry Jones is a top 10 backup. People who don't think so have no idea what an NFL backup QB looks like. Generally speaking, the good ones are one grade above sucking completely. The average ones suck and the bad ones suck really bad.

j-d-s
01-28-2017, 11:01 PM
No. Just no.Landry Jones is a waste of any roster spot. We could literally sign anybody off the street and that guy would still be better.Besides, Mettenberger deserves a chance and in his time at Tennessee he already showed he is better than Landry.

43Hitman
01-29-2017, 05:40 AM
I would like to remind everyone that Landry and our offense performed better against NE than Ben and our offense did. Landry is a back up QB, not a future starter. I'm not really sure what everyone wants. A QB controversy? Because if you get a QB that can actually start for a large amount of the season, all we are going to hear is, "put the back up in!" when Ben has an off week, or has a bad game on the road. We don't need that crap on this team, that's for sure.

43Hitman
01-29-2017, 05:53 AM
Zach Mettenberger career stats:

Comp % 60.3

YDS 2,347

TDs 12

Int 14

Rating 75.4

Landry Jones stats this year:

Landry Jones stats career:

Looks like he's improving to me. These assertions that anyone off the street can out perform Landry is hogwash. He is a good backup. The problem is that people expect our backup to perform just like Ben. That just isn't going to happen. We have bigger fish to fry than bemoan our backup qb who by the way, has done everything asked of him and has helped this team more than once.

86WARD
01-29-2017, 07:04 AM
I've been saying it for a long time now, you can see improvement in Jones' game. From last season to this season's preseason games was like night and day. I don't mind Landry...I just prefer to have a veteran back up with more starting experience than Jones. If they went in to next season with Mettenberger and Jones, I wouldn't be terribly upset...but like I said, I'd prefer to have a more veteran type guy...

Born2Steel
01-29-2017, 08:50 AM
I've been saying it for a long time now, you can see improvement in Jones' game. From last season to this season's preseason games was like night and day. I don't mind Landry...I just prefer to have a veteran back up with more starting experience than Jones. If they went in to next season with Mettenberger and Jones, I wouldn't be terribly upset...but like I said, I'd prefer to have a more veteran type guy...

Pretty much how I feel about it. I completely understand that Jones is the 'backup'. That has never been the point. My point on Jones, and why we can do better, is he still doesn't run our offense after learning it for 4 years. He's still running PART of it like a rookie or 2nd year guy. We really need for a veteran, which Jones is at this point, that can be the offensive leader when he steps on the field. Not just the guy running the play called in. And...what's wrong with a controversy at ANY position? By that rationale, if Jones were a better player, we should get rid of him? Matt Moore is a career backup. He has floated around different teams. But he's an NFL QB, that plays like a football player. Not saying go get Matt Moore, just using him as an example of what I'm talking about. The QB I really want is Lynch from Denver. He's a guy that can learn as the 3rd for a few more years and then step into the starter role. Jones or Mettenberger can back him up.

43Hitman
01-29-2017, 01:34 PM
Pretty much how I feel about it. I completely understand that Jones is the 'backup'. That has never been the point. My point on Jones, and why we can do better, is he still doesn't run our offense after learning it for 4 years. He's still running PART of it like a rookie or 2nd year guy. We really need for a veteran, which Jones is at this point, that can be the offensive leader when he steps on the field. Not just the guy running the play called in. And...what's wrong with a controversy at ANY position? By that rationale, if Jones were a better player, we should get rid of him? Matt Moore is a career backup. He has floated around different teams. But he's an NFL QB, that plays like a football player. Not saying go get Matt Moore, just using him as an example of what I'm talking about. The QB I really want is Lynch from Denver. He's a guy that can learn as the 3rd for a few more years and then step into the starter role. Jones or Mettenberger can back him up. A controversy at the QB can and usually splits a locker room. What part of that is good?

Born2Steel
01-29-2017, 08:45 PM
A controversy at the QB can and usually splits a locker room. What part of that is good?

We're referring to 2 different levels/types of controversy. I'm referring to fans arguing over 'Jones or Mettenberger'. Backup QBs have rarely split locker rooms that I know about. Ben would need to be at least 5 years younger to be part of a QB controversy with either of those 2 guys. The point is to put the best players in the best position for the success of the team. I would love to see Jones and Mettenberger tearing it up in training camp and preseason in a battle for #2. Maybe the reason Jones hasn't developed as much as I would like, is nobody has really pushed for his roster spot.

43Hitman
01-30-2017, 03:22 PM
We're referring to 2 different levels/types of controversy. I'm referring to fans arguing over 'Jones or Mettenberger'. Backup QBs have rarely split locker rooms that I know about. Ben would need to be at least 5 years younger to be part of a QB controversy with either of those 2 guys. The point is to put the best players in the best position for the success of the team. I would love to see Jones and Mettenberger tearing it up in training camp and preseason in a battle for #2. Maybe the reason Jones hasn't developed as much as I would like, is nobody has really pushed for his roster spot.Yeah, I thought you were implying that having a QB controversy was a healthy thing. I agree with what you are saying and I can see where 86Ward would be more comfortable with a proven vet back-up. I guess I just don't understand why Jones is being treated like cannon fodder. He hasn't been perfect, but I don't think he is expendable either.

Born2Steel
01-30-2017, 03:33 PM
I think maybe we'll be able to gage how they feel about Mettenberger by the contract offered to Jones.

43Hitman
01-30-2017, 03:38 PM
I think maybe we'll be able to gage how they feel about Mettenberger by the contract offered to Jones.Yep, that will tell us a lot. Like most of the fans here, I just want the Steelers to be the best Steelers they can be. If that means bringing someone else in as Ben's back-up, so be it. I just think Jones has done a good enough job to keep his job here.

WCSteeler
02-02-2017, 11:30 PM
The backup QB is more like a 1B (Ben as 1A)than a true backup. Every year like clockwork Ben is injured and misses minimum 1 game but usually rushes back and plays before he is healthy, so this being Ben's 14th season and being 35 and contemplating retirement people would rather roll the dice on Jones or pick up a QB in the 6th round? The organization needs to pull it's head out of the sand and take this issue seriously, if the Steelers can spend a #1 0n a soon to be released LB or a 2 on a CB that may never make it past training camp what's the issue with spending a #2 on a QB if they find a QB with upside?

polamalubeast
02-10-2017, 10:08 AM