PDA

View Full Version : Shazier Has Some Work to Do.

Shoes
01-25-2017, 02:11 PM
As do the DB's

Total missed tackles regular season and postseason combined (19 Games) — 204 (10.7 missed tackles per game)

Ryan Shazier — 30
Sean Davis — 22
Lawrence Timmons — 20
Mike Mitchell — 18
William Gay — 15
Stephon Tuitt — 14
Artie Burns — 13
Ross Cockrell — 11
Vince Williams — 7
James Harrison — 6
Javon Hargrave — 5
Robert Golden — 4
Bud Dupree 4
Jarvis Jones — 3
Anthony Chickillo — 3
Cameron Heyward — 2
Arthur Moats — 1
LJ Fort — 1
Jordan Dangerfield — 1
Ricardo Matthews — 1
Daniel McCullers — 1
LT Walton — 1

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/steelers-vs-patriots-missed-tackles-report/

43Hitman
01-25-2017, 04:06 PM
Bud Dupree really surprised me. I thought he had the talent to be good this year, but to miss almost all of training camp and half of the reg. season and to come in and play the way he did, far exceeded my expectations.

Mojouw
01-25-2017, 04:10 PM
I'm going to take Shazier's missed tackle # with a grain of salt. He is so damn fast, how many of those "missed" tackles were attempts only he could even get to? Not saying Shazier has proven to be at this level yet, but there was a certain hyper-athletic safety that missed a surprising # of tackles because he was trying to make plays no one else could even attempt.

Long story short, would be interested to see a more detailed breakdown of Shazier's misses.

pczach
01-25-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm going to take Shazier's missed tackle # with a grain of salt. He is so damn fast, how many of those "missed" tackles were attempts only he could even get to? Not saying Shazier has proven to be at this level yet, but there was a certain hyper-athletic safety that missed a surprising # of tackles because he was trying to make plays no one else could even attempt.

Long story short, would be interested to see a more detailed breakdown of Shazier's misses.

Correct, and well said.

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2017, 06:06 PM

fair point. never thought of it that way. but Shazier's 87 tackles in 12 starts (this season and the last) prorate to 109 tackles if we assume he played 16 games. Nothing wrong with that number, but an All-Pro ILB should definitely be making more tackles than that (lofty expectations, but that seems to be what most of the fans think he can become).

Mojouw
01-25-2017, 06:19 PM
fair point. never thought of it that way. but Shazier's 87 tackles in 12 starts (this season and the last) prorate to 109 tackles if we assume he played 16 games. Nothing wrong with that number, but an All-Pro ILB should definitely be making more tackles than that (lofty expectations, but that seems to be what most of the fans think he can become).

I don't know that is in the neighborhood of top 6 in tackles every season since 2013.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-solo-tackles?season_id=14

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2017, 06:33 PM
I don't know that is in the neighborhood of top 6 in tackles every season since 2013.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-solo-tackles?season_id=14

those are only solo tackles. Using the 16 game prorated total tackle number for Shazier, he would rank 24th this past season and 26th in 2015:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=TACKLES&season=2015&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

If he cuts those missed tackles in half. Boom. All-Pro. Extremely encouraged by his quantum leap improvement in pass coverage. He looked like a liability in coverage his 1st 2 seasons despite being good at everything at Ohio State. Now that vast skillset is really coming to fruition

Mojouw
01-25-2017, 06:35 PM
those are only solo tackles. Using the 16 game prorated total tackle number for Shazier, he would rank 24th this past season and 26th in 2015:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticCategory=TACKLES&season=2015&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

If he cuts those missed tackles in half. Boom. All-Pro. Extremely encouraged by his quantum leap improvement in pass coverage. He looked like a liability in coverage his 1st 2 seasons despite being good at everything at Ohio State. Now that vast skillset is really coming to fruition

Okay! I like it. Something to watch for. I think he is a future DPOY, but that is just my opinion.

86WARD
01-26-2017, 10:56 AM

This was exactly my first thought as well. How many misses on average did Polamalu have?

Born2Steel
01-26-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm actually very glad Shaz has some work to do. As well as he has played, it would be a shame if this was as good as he will get. This guy has the tools to be another one of THOSE Steeler LBs.

SteelerFanInStl
01-29-2017, 10:09 AM
Shazier is just now starting to reach his potential. He will continue to get better.