PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Offseason thread

Rara
01-24-2017, 08:58 PM
If the mods feel we have too many threads for the offseason (whether it's just the draft, free agency, team needs, etc.)..feel free to delete this. I've said my share in other threads (my early mock draft, team needs, now I want to write back possible free agent targets), but want to eventually get it all clumped into one thread..which would be the Offseason thread! Everyone, feel free to add in!

Anyways:

Free agent targets

Melvin Ingram, ILB (Best replacement for Lawrence Timmons..if he doesn't get re-signed. Ingram, I think, would be a better ILB than OLB)
(If we go with Ingram at ROLB, then I want Dont'a Hightower to be Timmons replacement)

Jack Doyle or Levine Toilolo, TE (Green needs to go...Doyle was impressive but will probably get a payday with Colts. Toilolo has done a decent job)

Ronnie Hillman or Christine Michael, RB (Williams isn't a spring chicken...if he's we need a reliable back up)

Mike Glennon or EJ Manuel, QB (Let Jones go..we need a better back up)

Courtney Upshaw or Chandler Jones, OLB (if the Steelers decide to get their Harrison replacement now..but Harrison will be blocking them on the depth chart)

Current mock draft: (Check in my signature..sorry it's all together, we only have a 3 line limit...will constantly change)

86WARD
01-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Christine Michael is trash...he couldn't make it in Seattle when he had a chance. Had a chance to win a job in Washington, couldn't do it. Couldn't go back to Seattle and win a job when everyone else was injured and couldn't beat out a WR in Green Bay. He's terrible. Hill an isn't much better. There will be a better back available at some point than either of those. Also say no on EJ Manuel...no need for another "athletic" QB.

st33lersguy
01-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Christine Michael is trash...he couldn't make it in Seattle when he had a chance. Had a chance to win a job in Washington, couldn't do it. Couldn't go back to Seattle and win a job when everyone else was injured and couldn't beat out a WR in Green Bay. He's terrible. Hill an isn't much better. There will be a better back available at some point than either of those. Also say no on EJ Manuel...no need for another "athletic" QB.

I don't think Courtney upshaw is worth a look either. Chandler jones meanwhile is likely out of the steelers price range

teegre
01-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Darren Sproles :wink02:

pczach
01-24-2017, 09:26 PM

Let's post 57 more pages on that topic alone. :yay3:

Iron Steeler
01-24-2017, 09:27 PM
:lol:Jake Butt lol :lol:

st33lersguy
01-24-2017, 09:33 PM

Fuck sproles, trade a 1st for joe Thomas. Super Bowl 52 here we come!

tube517
01-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Fuck sproles, trade a 1st for joe Thomas. Super Bowl 52 here we come!

Bring Mendy out of retirement and ban Nix from the NFL.

Champee-own-ship!!!!

st33lersguy
01-24-2017, 09:38 PM
Bring Mendy out of retirement and ban Nix from the NFL.

Champee-own-ship!!!!

Fire Haley and replace him with fitchner.......then fire tomlin and replace him with Arians. Dy-nuh-stee

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2017, 10:02 PM
If the mods feel we have too many threads for the offseason (whether it's just the draft, free agency, team needs, etc.)..feel free to delete this. I've said my share in other threads (my early mock draft, team needs, now I want to write back possible free agent targets), but want to eventually get it all clumped into one thread..which would be the Offseason thread! Everyone, feel free to add in!

Anyways:

Free agent targets

Melvin Ingram, ILB (Best replacement for Lawrence Timmons..if he doesn't get re-signed. Ingram, I think, would be a better ILB than OLB)
(If we go with Ingram at ROLB, then I want Dont'a Hightower to be Timmons replacement)

Jack Doyle or Levine Toilolo, TE (Green needs to go...Doyle was impressive but will probably get a payday with Colts. Toilolo has done a decent job)

Ronnie Hillman or Christine Michael, RB (Williams isn't a spring chicken...if he's we need a reliable back up)

Mike Glennon or EJ Manuel, QB (Let Jones go..we need a better back up)

Courtney Upshaw or Chandler Jones, OLB (if the Steelers decide to get their Harrison replacement now..but Harrison will be blocking them on the depth chart)

Current mock draft: (Check in my signature..sorry it's all together, we only have a 3 line limit...will constantly change)

Why would Melvin Ingram be better at ILB than OLB? He's played outside basically always and in college he even switched to defensive end at one point. Why strip him of the position that he has excelled at in the NFL? Timmons ironically was drafted to be an outside linebacker (which he sucks at) but immediately moved to ILB and the rest is history. I do think Ingram should be one of our top targets though.

What do you guys think of Kevin Minter or Zach Brown as heirs to Timmons at inside linebacker? Zach Brown can do everything really well but only recently just broke out. He's going to be pricy but he will give us a merciless front 7

teegre
01-24-2017, 10:38 PM
What do you guys think of Kevin Minter or Zach Brown as heirs to Timmons at inside linebacker? Zach Brown can do everything really well but only recently just broke out. He's going to be pricy but he will give us a merciless front 7

Here are my thoughts (in order):

1. I think that Timmons plays two more seasons.

2. I really like Vince Williams.

3. Kiko Alonso would be my preferred FA ILB.

4. If I'm wrong about 1-3, either Brown or Minter would be great. I liked Minter coming out of college; so, I know more about him... but, Brown actually seems to be slightly better.

5. It isn't going to happen, but imagine if Reuben Foster drops to a reasonable trade-up range (20ish).

steelreserve
01-24-2017, 11:48 PM
I would be very surprised if Timmons doesn't come back ... also surprised if Harrison or D. Williams does, so those two spots are going to need someone.

Didn't think I'd be saying this, but a starting OLB and WR depth may be our two biggest needs depending on how the Green thing plays out, which is not looking good so far.

QB is set as far as I'm concerned with Ben and Mettenberger, plus whatever random we can pick up to ride the end of the bench.

Mojouw
01-25-2017, 12:08 AM
Terrible [emoji362]. Jarvis Jones as your inside backer. Cheap. Knows the scheme. Move inside maximizes what he does well. I honestly think this shouldve happened before his 5th year option came up. But I don't get paid for my piss poor ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Method28
01-25-2017, 11:43 AM
No way we spring for Ingram AND Hightower.

Id kinda prefer Nick Perry over Ingram only since i dont trust SD FAs any more and Perry would be cheaper.

Im good with Williams taking over for Timmons and just filling the back up role for depth. Guys like Alonso are so prone to miss time that I'd rather pass.

Id like to see us bring in more pass rush and secondary help. Also id wanna bring in a wr for depth. Wouldnt mind Brandon Marshall etc type of guys.

Thats about it for me. Not asking for much since i know they're unlikely to spend.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
01-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Kenny Stills is on the FA list this offseason. He's a guy that is very underrated for what he brings at that position. I know he doesn't get much pub, what do you guys think about bringing him here as a proven pass catcher?

Kiko Alonso, another current Dolphin, is also available. He has to be one of the premier ILBs in the league right now. I think he will cost too much, RFA, especially with our current ILB corps, but this guy is a play stopper.

Another 'probably too expensive' player is OLB Okafor from AZ. He had all the tools coming into the league.

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Here are my thoughts (in order):

1. I think that Timmons plays two more seasons.

2. I really like Vince Williams.

3. Kiko Alonso would be my preferred FA ILB.

4. If I'm wrong about 1-3, either Brown or Minter would be great. I liked Minter coming out of college; so, I know more about him... but, Brown actually seems to be slightly better.

5. It isn't going to happen, but imagine if Reuben Foster drops to a reasonable trade-up range (20ish).

i used to be a proponent of letting Timmons off the hook and letting Williams take over. He would be a liability in coverage but he would play really well in the box and still be a solid starter. After seeing how a lot of top flight pass defenses take advantage of Timmons, who's still better in pass coverage than Williams in his decline, im not as warm to the idea anymore.

Timmons is such a cocktease the past few seasons. Seems he has started really slow like 3-4 seasons in a row now. i only count on him to play at a high level for like 10 games a season. Thats really the main thing that leaves me on the fence about him

- - - Updated - - -

Kenny Stills is on the FA list this offseason. He's a guy that is very underrated for what he brings at that position. I know he doesn't get much pub, what do you guys think about bringing him here as a proven pass catcher?

Kiko Alonso, another current Dolphin, is also available. He has to be one of the premier ILBs in the league right now. I think he will cost too much, RFA, especially with our current ILB corps, but this guy is a play stopper.

Another 'probably too expensive' player is OLB Okafor from AZ. He had all the tools coming into the league.

Okafor! Good eye. The cardinals backers have flown under the radar for years now. Okafor seems like a medium level free agent signing that the steelers would actually make

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2017, 05:58 PM

Where would Stills fit on this offense? He's almost purely a vertical player and AB, Martavis, Coates, and DHB already do that. Not to mention the cost for a player thats going to struggle to get playing time

Mojouw
01-25-2017, 06:34 PM
If the Steelers want another ILB that isn't Timmons, I suspect they have the perfect candidate on the roster - Arthur Moats. Maybe not a sideline to sideline guy but certainly more than adequate.

- - - Updated - - -

What would Okafor do on the roster? If we want another OLB that can't rush the passer very well, we could just resign Jones!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OkafAl00.htm

I mean does Chickfilet need a buddy on the bench?

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2017, 06:38 PM
If the Steelers want another ILB that isn't Timmons, I suspect they have the perfect candidate on the roster - Arthur Moats. Maybe not a sideline to sideline guy but certainly more than adequate.

- - - Updated - - -

What would Okafor do on the roster? If we want another OLB that can't rush the passer very well, we could just resign Jones!

I cant remember which one it was but wasnt Arthur Moats said to have been miscast either at ILB or OLB in buffalo? Which one was it?

If we bumped him inside I can imagine Vince Williams will be really pissed lol. I remember him being salty initially about Ryan Shazier being drafted but he seems to have a good attitude about it

Born2Steel
01-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Where would Stills fit on this offense? He's almost purely a vertical player and AB, Martavis, Coates, and DHB already do that. Not to mention the cost for a player thats going to struggle to get playing time

I never viewed him as a vertical only player at all. I was a bit surprised when he was allowed to leave N.O.. He reminds me a lot of E. Sanders in his route running and catching ability. I feel like the future, with Stills on the roster, would look more like, AB, Bryant, and Stills. Coates, DHB, Ayers, Rogers, Hamilton, and new draft pick McCaffrey on special teams and backup roles.

Born2Steel
01-25-2017, 07:07 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Was just offering Okafor as an idea. You got somebody else in mind throw him out here. I think he would cost too much anyway. Plus, we have been pretty successful building through the draft lately. I was just looking at IF we went the FA route.

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2017, 07:16 PM
I never viewed him as a vertical only player at all. I was a bit surprised when he was allowed to leave N.O.. He reminds me a lot of E. Sanders in his route running and catching ability. I feel like the future, with Stills on the roster, would look more like, AB, Bryant, and Stills. Coates, DHB, Ayers, Rogers, Hamilton, and new draft pick McCaffrey on special teams and backup roles.

The Saints traded Stills to the 'Fins for Danell Ellerbe (who is a starter for them) and a 3rd round pick. Seems like a hefty investment to part from so quickly. Especially since Stills is basically locked in as the Dolphins 2nd or 3rd option. Here, not so much

Mojouw
01-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Was just offering Okafor as an idea. You got somebody else in mind throw him out here. I think he would cost too much anyway. Plus, we have been pretty successful building through the draft lately. I was just looking at IF we went the FA route.

SOrry. That was overly snotty. What I was trying to say is that you have Chandler Jones, Nick Perry, and Melvin Ingram as the only potential IMPACT pass rushers in FA. I actually think the only "safe" bet of those three is Jones. And he likely gets tagged by Arizona. Even if he doesn't you are looking at 8-15 million per season for any of those guys.

Ingram in his last 41 games started has 22 sacks. Basically he produces sacks at a Jason Worilds rate. Remember how much no one wanted to pay him 8-9 million per season?

Perry. Well, if the Perry that played most of this season around a few injuries is they guy you're getting - then your looking a half-step up or so from Worilds. So I guess pay him? But he has never previously been healthy or productive like he was this year. Did the light bulb finally go off and Perry put it all together? Or is the version of Perry that didn't really do much for the Pack since being drafted in the first round in 2012 the guy you are paying likely 10+ million dollars to?

Jones - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneCh03.htm. Just a different animal all together. Dude is a legit pass rushing presence in the NFL. Like, I said, all signs point to Arizona franchise tagging him. If he hits the open market, I believe he is the only FA LB signing that the Steelers could make that would really change anything for 2017.

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2017, 09:09 PM
SOrry. That was overly snotty. What I was trying to say is that you have Chandler Jones, Nick Perry, and Melvin Ingram as the only potential IMPACT pass rushers in FA. I actually think the only "safe" bet of those three is Jones. And he likely gets tagged by Arizona. Even if he doesn't you are looking at 8-15 million per season for any of those guys.

Ingram in his last 41 games started has 22 sacks. Basically he produces sacks at a Jason Worilds rate. Remember how much no one wanted to pay him 8-9 million per season?

Perry. Well, if the Perry that played most of this season around a few injuries is they guy you're getting - then your looking a half-step up or so from Worilds. So I guess pay him? But he has never previously been healthy or productive like he was this year. Did the light bulb finally go off and Perry put it all together? Or is the version of Perry that didn't really do much for the Pack since being drafted in the first round in 2012 the guy you are paying likely 10+ million dollars to?

Jones - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneCh03.htm. Just a different animal all together. Dude is a legit pass rushing presence in the NFL. Like, I said, all signs point to Arizona franchise tagging him. If he hits the open market, I believe he is the only FA LB signing that the Steelers could make that would really change anything for 2017.

Its not all about sacks. Brandon Graham is one of the best pass rushers in the league and he's never had more than 6.5 sacks in a season. He has a hell of a lot of hits and hurries though. Is Okafor actually bad? I always read that he was pretty good and really floating under the radar. I hope Alex does a piece on potential free agent signing on Steelers Depot

Mojouw
01-25-2017, 09:15 PM
Its not all about sacks. Brandon Graham is one of the best pass rushers in the league and he's never had more than 6.5 sacks in a season. He has a hell of a lot of hits and hurries though. Is Okafor actually bad? I always read that he was pretty good and really floating under the radar. I hope Alex does a piece on potential free agent signing on Steelers Depot

Very true. Hurries/hits is likely a better indicator, but I haven't looked for it yet. Oddly, I have read the total opposite. Okafor is an even less explosive athlete than Jarvis Jones and has the total lack of NFL production to match. He has been injured a ton, deactivated a few times, a general cast to the bench by the Cards.

This list makes it look like Ingram might be the FA to target? https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2016/

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Very true. Hurries/hits is likely a better indicator, but I haven't looked for it yet. Oddly, I have read the total opposite. Okafor is an even less explosive athlete than Jarvis Jones and has the total lack of NFL production to match. He has been injured a ton, deactivated a few times, a general cast to the bench by the Cards.

This list makes it look like Ingram might be the FA to target? https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2016/

exactly. Jabaal Sheard is another great option im pretty sure people have thrown around. Looking at the year by the year log of hurries on that list, Im surprised Sheard represents himself so well virtually every year he's been in the league. Another mid level signing that could turn out to be way better than market value

86WARD
01-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Stills isn't that good and Marshall seems like he's on the verge of hitting the wall.

tube517
01-26-2017, 01:27 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/01/steelers_roosevelt_nix_re-sign.html

Somewhere, someone is having a meltdown over this.

pczach
01-26-2017, 03:16 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/01/steelers_roosevelt_nix_re-sign.html

"WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING!!! THIS GUY CAN'T PLAY!!! OH GREAT.....PUT HIM AND AN EXTRA LINEMAN IN THE GAME AND GAIN .4 YARDS PER CARRY!!! DUMMESST MOVE EVER!!!!"

P.S. "HALEY STILL SUCKS!!!!!!!"

How was that? Makes it seem like he's still here. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
01-26-2017, 03:22 PM

https://twitter.com/SteelersCrash/status/824714708854960129

Yep, Mr. Football is not happy

Method28
01-27-2017, 10:17 AM
"WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING!!! THIS GUY CAN'T PLAY!!! OH GREAT.....PUT HIM AND AN EXTRA LINEMAN IN THE GAME AND GAIN .4 YARDS PER CARRY!!! DUMMESST MOVE EVER!!!!"

P.S. "HALEY STILL SUCKS!!!!!!!"

How was that? Makes it seem like he's still here. :chuckle:
Dupe account! Dupe account! 😁😁😁

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

vader29
01-27-2017, 03:13 PM

AtlantaDan
01-27-2017, 03:24 PM

Just do what Belichick does and list everyone who is not in perfect health as questionable

Guess some gamblers who had the Steelers or prop bets on Bell communicated their displeasure to the league office

teegre
01-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Just do what Belichick does and list everyone who is not in perfect health as questionable

A decade ago, when Mike Shannahan was the coach of the Broncos, they fined him for not listing some player as being injured. (It was like a bruised knee or something.)

Shannahan responded by listing his ENTIRE team as "questionable" for the next game. :lol:

tube517
01-31-2017, 06:28 PM

Rotorhead
02-01-2017, 03:01 PM
I think JH will be back next season, I hope he is just a backup though, cause as he is one of my all time favs, that would mean we didn't do anything to replace him. Any word on Martavus? When will we know, cause if he is gone next season also we need to replace him, this season showed we need a 1b or for sure #2 WR.

polamalubeast
02-01-2017, 03:04 PM
I think JH will be back next season, I hope he is just a backup though, cause as he is one of my all time favs, that would mean we didn't do anything to replace him. Any word on Martavus? When will we know, cause if he is gone next season also we need to replace him, this season showed we need a 1b or for sure #2 WR.

Bryant has 2 years remaining in his contract, because of his suspension, but of course you can't trust 100% on Bryant.

tube517
02-01-2017, 03:16 PM

Bryant has to wait for GoodHell's decision on whether he can be reinstated.

Like PB said, we can't trust or rely on him to be the #2.

Psycho Ward 86
02-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Bryant has to wait for GoodHell's decision on whether he can be reinstated.

Like PB said, we can't trust or rely on him to be the #2.

He'll decide in the middle of the preseason. Watch.

God knows it takes half the year to make this "calculated" decision :lol:

tube517
02-02-2017, 11:59 AM
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11880753-74/steelers-warren-contract

Stairway to Seven!!! :clap2::yay3: :chuckle:

polamalubeast
02-02-2017, 03:23 PM