PDA

View Full Version : Ben said that he won't commit to coming back next season..Implies he's open to retirement.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 10:35 AM

tube517
01-24-2017, 10:40 AM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/ben-roethlisberger-on-patriots-they-out-coached-us-they-out-played-us-they-out-executed-us/#.WIeCc63LI8c.facebook

“I’m going to take this offseason to evaluate, to consider all options,” Ben told us. “To consider health, and family and things like that and just kind of take some time away to evaluate next season, if there’s going to be a next season.”

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 10:40 AM
I don't think Ben is serious.

Remember Brett Favre considered retirement in 2002 and he played until 2010!

AtlantaDan
01-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Drama! :willy:

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Born2Steel
01-24-2017, 10:51 AM
May be Ben's way of telling the FO to get serious about finding his eventual replacement. After the Giants game he told Eli, "I hope this isn't the last time". Eli looked a bit shocked at those words and responded with, "It shouldn't be". Just a weird exchange.

AtlantaDan
01-24-2017, 10:54 AM

Or it could be Ben being Ben

Steelers beat writers have seen this movie for 13 seasons

SteelMayhem72
01-24-2017, 10:55 AM
i think he will retire to be honest...his body language has been saying so

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Ben=Favre :rolleyes:

Rotorhead
01-24-2017, 11:11 AM
If his heart is not in it anymore, maybe it is time to hang them up. Let's hope he can find the drive for one more ring next season though.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 11:13 AM

Edman
01-24-2017, 11:18 AM
What were we expecting at this point?

Dude will be 35 next month, has a family, and has taken a beating his entire career. Time is getting short. Shorter than we may think.

We'd better start looking sooner if not after next year. Wether Ben is serious or not, the reality that we may start moving on from him needs to be accessed.

SteelerFanInStl
01-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Part of me wishes that he would retire just so some of the Yinzers can experience what this team is like without him.

smokin3000gt
01-24-2017, 11:25 AM
I'm definitely surprised... I figured the only thing that would take him out of the game is injury. Hell, he hasn't stepped up as a true veteran until the last few years.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 11:36 AM

st33lersguy
01-24-2017, 11:46 AM
I think it is definitely time to start looking for a viable replacement in the draft (you won't find one in free agency, guaranteed). I don't think he'll retire this year, but it is highly likely that he won't be playing for longer than 2 years

teegre
01-24-2017, 11:46 AM
The thing that gives credence to this is that after the AFCCG, BB slammed his receivers. When have you ever heard him call anyone out in that manner??? You could interpret BB's anger as realizing that that game might have been his last chance.

tube517
01-24-2017, 11:51 AM
http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2017/01/steelers_roethlisberger_blames.html#incart_river_i ndex

Ben Roethlisberger blames coaches, teammates, also self

Is his "retirement" talk just anger and frustration over losing?

Is he getting tired of the physical beating and the stupid actions of his teammates? (Pot, end zone dancing, FB videos)?

Is this a threat to all the younger players and the WR's to play and act professionally and not do stupid shit?

Moose
01-24-2017, 11:52 AM
I've said for the past few year's that the FO better start looking for a young QB to carry the clipboard and learn from Ben. What do they do .... hang on to that do nothing Jones. Well folks the window is closing fast and they better start listening to Ben because he's looking at retirement real close, plus he's only a hard hit and another concussion away from picking up his last check. Hey, he can sit next to Cowher real easily.

steelreserve
01-24-2017, 11:54 AM
I don't think he'll do it this year, but just like with Polamalu, it's a great reminder - after next season, it could be any time.

Realistically, anything inside of 2-3 years would just crush us from a cap standpoint, so I think they would do anything possible to accommodate him.

I just hope he can be back for one more season where everybody starts out healthy, and nobody's smoking dope, and we're not down to AB plus a bunch of fourth-stringers, and nothing else stupid happens, so we can see what this team can actually do under a full season of somewhat normal circumstances. He'd be leaving a ton of what-ifs and unrecognized potential on the table of he walked away before that.

The Bark
01-24-2017, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't blame him as I honestly think the window on winning another one is getting smaller and smaller. I personally don't feel as if he played the same, whether it was physically or because of playcalling, since the Buffalo game where he threw three interceptions. I might be wrong, but it seems that's about the same time Bell started to carry the offense.

AtlantaDan
01-24-2017, 11:56 AM

Like another Ben radio show story before the week 3 loss in Philly?

Although Big Ben has only played in Philly once during his 13-year career, he remembers that game vividly, and that's mainly because he almost decided to quit football after the 15-6 loss in 2008.

During an interview with 93.7 the Fan (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/09/20/roethlisberger-still-lots-of-little-mistakes-to-correct/), a CBS Sports Radio station, in Pittsburgh this week, Roethlisberger talked about how close he came to retirement after being sacked eight times and almost breaking his hand in the nine-point loss.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/roethlisberger-says-he-almost-quit-football-after-his-last-game-in-philly/

No doubt that Ben's career has a lot more yesterdays than tomorrows in it.

Might be a medical problem, strong disagreement with the coaches where Ben goes to AJR II to say he goes or I go, or like Heath Miller, Ben simply decides I have banked enough $$$ and want to enjoy the rest of my life.

But I would be surprised he walks away now while the Steelers are still, despite Sunday's beatdown, one of the top teams in the league. I say at least one more season while both Bell and Brown are no doubt going to be on the roster

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Iron Steeler
01-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Dark ages are coming soon.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 12:06 PM
We never know the future....Ben could retire in this off season as he could play another 5 years.

Remember that Brett Favre was thinking about retirement in 2002!

teegre
01-24-2017, 12:11 PM
If he does indeed retire...

Forget about Romo or any other free agent. The rest of the team is young; so, I'd rather draft someone (Brad Kaaya, R2).

fansince'76
01-24-2017, 12:13 PM
Figures. We finally just about finish rebuilding and we'll wind up with Kordell Stewart redux, which is kinda like handing the keys to a Ferrari to a 90-year-old woman.

Part of me wishes that he would retire just so some of the Yinzers can experience what this team is like without him.

Agreed, and it would serve many right.

The thing that gives credence to this is that after the AFCCG, BB slammed his receivers. When have you ever heard him call anyone out in that manner??? You could interpret BB's anger as realizing that that game might have been his last chance.

Yep, even when his OL sucked hind tit and he was getting murdered back there, he'd always take the blame for losses upon himself.

Born2Steel
01-24-2017, 12:13 PM
I don't see bad times ahead. I just don't . Ben is a GREAT QB, you won't convince me otherwise. We have some of the most dynamic players around him. The Oline is playing better than I can remember in a long time. We had to 'fix' the secondary, and did a damn good job of it apparently. The future sure looks very bright at this point anyway. Dupree, Shaz, Hargrave, Tuitt, Heyward, make an impressive front 7, and I didn't even include JH due to his age. Even if Ben were to walk away today, things look very good for the future. Unless we get a noodle arm with no football I.Q. that loves to party and beat women, we can survive with a lesser QB. I was impressed with Mettenberger at TN to be honest. Landry Jones can back him up, add in some more quality depth here and there, and I think we'll be just fine. I lived thru the 80s, and I lived thru losing to the Browns. Those were the darkest days in Steeler history. And it only lasted 5 years.

EzraTank
01-24-2017, 12:15 PM
May be Ben's way of telling the FO to get serious about finding his eventual replacement. After the Giants game he told Eli, "I hope this isn't the last time". Eli looked a bit shocked at those words and responded with, "It shouldn't be". Just a weird exchange.

I hope it's his way of saying to the FO build me a real defense and let's win a few more. The defensive game plan Sunday was a joke.

teegre
01-24-2017, 12:15 PM
In light of all of this...

Jerald Hawkins had better be a damn good O-lineman . :wink02:

43Hitman
01-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Winter is Coming

Nadroj 20
01-24-2017, 12:41 PM
No matter what anyone thinks about whether he is going to or not we need to consider getting a replacement. I think he is serious when he says he's keeping his options open.

If not next season then probably after it. It's coming sooner rather than later I'm afraid.

tube517
01-24-2017, 12:42 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/01/24/ben-roethlisberger-retirement-future-leveon-bell-injury-antonio-brown-steelers-patriots-afc-championship/stories/201701240151

The aftermath hasn’t been clean, either; Roethlisberger criticized the team’s young receivers immediately afterward. On Monday, linebacker Bud Dupree said the defense was “surprised” and “caught off guard” by the Patriots’ tempo on their first drive, as if it were something new. Le’Veon Bell said his groin was injured before the AFC championship. NFL Network reported that Antonio Brown was “pouting” after DeAngelo Williams’ first-quarter touchdown, and that the Steelers continue to be concerned that Brown is more concerned with stats than wins.

Roethlisberger spoke to all of that on Tuesday; “They outcoached us, they outplayed us, they out-executed us, and the better team won the football game. ... That’s why I made the comments that I made after the game and even today, that guys have to understand the game can’t be too big. I think it was for some guys. And that’s OK; they’re gonna have to learn. Obviously, we didn’t get to where we wanted to go, but hopefully we’ll learn from it and see what next year holds.”

That doesn’t sound like someone thinking about retirement, yeah?

Moose
01-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Tell Ben to spend this off season learning how to do the ' QB sneak' ! Sure would've come in handy championship game.

AtlantaDan
01-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Tell Ben to spend this off season learning how to do the ' QB sneak' ! Sure would've come in handy championship game.

Even though Ben checks out of the play sent in constantly, Ben says don't blame Ben, blame Todd Haley

“I have no problem sneaking, I think my sneak percentage…is pretty successful, in the high 90s. We’ve done it before. I’ve never ever in my life expressed not wanting to do it, I have no problem doing it, I would have done it three or four times in a row if we had to. The plays come in from Coach Haley and I call them,” he said.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/ben-roethlisberger-on-patriots-they-out-coached-us-they-out-played-us-they-out-executed-us/

Shoes
01-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Let him retire, we have Jones & Mushberger- CHAMPIONSHIP!

Dwinsgames
01-24-2017, 01:03 PM
when the thought of retirement enters the mind the body is already half way checked out .... time to draft his eventual replacement or sign a stopgap because this draft is deep just about everywhere but QB

Dwinsgames
01-24-2017, 01:12 PM

actually it was said in reverse Eli said what you claim Ben said and ben said what you said Eli said ... 7:56 mark here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgr4ymwVJkA&sns=tw

Moose
01-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Even though Ben checks out of the play sent in constantly, Ben says don't blame Ben, blame Todd Haley

“I have no problem sneaking, I think my sneak percentage…is pretty successful, in the high 90s. We’ve done it before. I’ve never ever in my life expressed not wanting to do it, I have no problem doing it, I would have done it three or four times in a row if we had to. The plays come in from Coach Haley and I call them,” he said.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/ben-roethlisberger-on-patriots-they-out-coached-us-they-out-played-us-they-out-executed-us/

I'm not buying into him just calling them from Haley. If, as he said, the percentage is high of him making it then he should have ran it. Ben can call plays he see's fit. This was a championship game and we needed TDs. At 6'5, 250+ lbs. I'm sure he could pick up a few inches. Stupid, stupid play calling, and he's a asshole for not changing the call.

fansince'76
01-24-2017, 01:22 PM
I believe it was Noll who said that if you're talking about retirement, you're already retired.

Moose
01-24-2017, 01:32 PM
I believe it was Noll who said that if you're talking about retirement, you're already retired.

So true ! Mindset is a big part of body actions.

zulater
01-24-2017, 01:39 PM

I think at the end of a season you're emotionally and physically drained. Also the way Heath went out last year probably tugs at him a bit. I think he just needs a couple months to recharge the batteries. I think he realizes that if Martavis comes back and Ladarius Green gets over his problems from this season that he'll have the best overall talent on offense that he's ever played with.

I do think it's entirely possibly that 17 will be his final season though.

plenewken
01-24-2017, 01:55 PM
I hope it's his way of saying to the FO build me a real defense and let's win a few more. The defensive game plan Sunday was a joke.

True but the offense wasn't good either. Dropped passes and stupid mental errors in the end zone, 1st and 1/2 yd getting nowhere ......
In KC, not even 1TD.
Yes, the D was pathetic Sunday but the O needs work too.

Born2Steel
01-24-2017, 02:05 PM
actually it was said in reverse Eli said what you claim Ben said and ben said what you said Eli said ... 7:56 mark here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgr4ymwVJkA&sns=tw

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad it was the other way around, feel better about Ben staying now.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 02:10 PM
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm glad it was the other way around, feel better about Ben staying now.

Maybe Ben was talking about the possibility of playing the super bowl against the giants?

Shoes
01-24-2017, 02:11 PM

Agreed, I'm about there myself. Too bad we didn't pick up Dak last year.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 02:13 PM

teegre
01-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Too bad we didn't pick up Dak last year.

Jerald Hawkins had better be a damn good O-lineman . :wink02:

:nod:

steel striker
01-24-2017, 02:28 PM
I don't think that Ben is going to retire and, he is upset the way the entire team played. Look when in play the cheats in Foxboro you have to your crap together and, they did not play well. It's going to be a long off-season that's for sure!

WCSteeler
01-24-2017, 02:31 PM
I said on another thread the time is NOW to draft aneeds eventual replacement. Luke Falk - Washington state- 6-3 240lb 70% completion rate. Ben has been more than we could ever ask but he's 35, 13 season and a mounting list of injuries. I'm not saying he is done but his mobility and accuracy have declined especially this season. If that was his last game then i'd be the first to say ' Thank you Ben!'

tube517
01-24-2017, 02:32 PM
I think he's frustrated with the younger players the way Troy was when he retired.

He'll be back. I can't see him retiring with at least one more shot in the Super Bowl

AtlantaDan
01-24-2017, 03:54 PM
I think he's frustrated with the younger players the way Troy was when he retired.

He'll be back. I can't see him retiring with at least one more shot in the Super Bowl

Assuming there is not some medical issue, there are 12 million reasons to return for 2017

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ben-roethlisberger-3595/

86WARD
01-24-2017, 03:54 PM

I think that meant hope we meet in the Super Bowl? But it could be the last time for either considering the play very infrequently...

86WARD
01-24-2017, 03:55 PM
It would be devastating to this organization if he retired.

DesertSteel
01-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Agreed, I'm about there myself. Too bad we didn't pick up Dak last year.
Dallas was the perfect storm for Dak. Here, he would have been behind Landry Jones and never seen the field and no one would have ever seen his talents until it was too late.

But............ it is the right time to invest in a mid-round QB. I haven't started my evaluation of guys coming out, but with examples like Wilson and Dak, there's reason for hope.

pczach
01-24-2017, 05:16 PM
I'll tell you why Ben is thinking about retirement.

Every time anything bad happens....it's Ben's fault with shit-for-brains fans that believe he isn't that great. The same fans like in this thread that call him an asshole for not doing a quarterback sneak. You see, it's not the game plan, or the lack of his #2 receiver being gone all year. It's not that his #3 receiver barely played this year. It's not that his #1 receiver is turning into a self-absorbed, non-blocking, live facebooking, "business is boomin'", crybaby, immature, stat compiler that gets ten times the credit Ben does, when it's Ben that makes AB great

Do you notice at the end of halves, they always dump the ball off to AB for a completely insignificant large gain that gets them no points, but pads AB's stat line as the clock runs out? Why do you think that is? I'll give you a hint. It's not because they really think AB is going to score on the play.

It's bad enough he has to listen to his own fans say he doesn't have it anymore. Or that he just doesn't have the fire. Or he takes too much time in between snaps. Or that he's not elite.

No....that's bad......but most of the people that say that don't really know much about football. They're fans that want to bitch about not winning a super bowl every year just because they can. They puff out their chests and demand change.

They're the same idiots that apparently didn't realize that the team has been rebuilding since 2012, and that the only reason they didn't win less than four games a year for a couple years is because #7 was behind center. The same ignorant people that bitch about an 8-8 season, saying it's a failure because they don't understand that without Ben, they win 3 games. You're right though. If it weren't for Ben, they would have much higher draft picks every year. That really is his fault.

The same dopes that believe Ben is the problem....not the solution.

The same morons that have to scream to the world that Ben sucks and needs to be replaced. The same ones that say it's great that Ben led them to two super bowl victories and to three all together, but he wasn't great in those games. He needs to take this team to a championship this year to prove that he is great. They are the ones that say how awesome Aaron Rodgers is, and that Ben isn't in the same universe as him as a QB. We'll just ignore the fact the Rodgers has only been to one super bowl in his career, and that his playoff record isn't that great.

Here is a link that shows the playoff records of many famous quarterbacks. Everyone needs to look at it and understand how lucky they have been to have Ben here. http://6thring.com/nfl-qb-playoff-record-roethlisberger-brady-manning.html

Now that you saw that link.....what do you think of Ben's performance here? I know...I know.....it proves nothing to the demanding fan that thinks he needs to win a championship every year.

He sucks on the road huh? Check out Ben's playoff record on the road compared to those "great" quarterbacks not named Brady. Check out Bradshaw's road playoff record and see how he did with all that talent around him.

I think Ben will be back. I just think he is so sick of listening to the media fall all over anyone but him. Aaron Rodgers leads his team to a 31-0 deficit in the third quarter, and it was because his receivers were banged up and his defense sucks. Ben had his team closer, without his #2 and #3 receivers for almost the entire year, his tight end retired at the end of last year and his replacement barely played all year, the best running back in football got injured on the second play of the game, and a defense that was historically bad in the AFC championship game......and we hear questions about Ben's place in football, and questions about how good he really is.

Enough of this bullshit from everyone that demands so much of him, yet knows nothing about what's going on when they watch a football game. They may as well be watching Australian Rules Badminton for the lack of knowledge by so many that criticize him the most.

If he does retire, I will openly mock the people here that give him shit constantly. All the people that say he isn't great, or that he checked out a couple years ago. When the time comes and Ben isn't here anymore, I'm going to bring up all those posts by those same people as they bitch about the next guy. That will happen, because "perrenially unhappy fan" will always be there, flaunting their ignorance because they can.

That's why Ben thinks about cashing in his lottery ticket and living the rest of his life away from football.

He's sick of the bullshit.

fansince'76
01-24-2017, 05:23 PM
:iagree: 5-star post, pczach.

And another one that kills me - he's "losing accuracy" after pass after pass hits his receivers not named Brown in the hands and they fucking drop it. And people wonder why he doesn't trust anybody else and zeroes in on AB?

zulater
01-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Every time anything bad happens....it's Ben's fault with shit-for-brains fans that believe he isn't that great. The same fans like in this thread that call him an asshole for not doing a quarterback sneak. You see, it's not the game plan, or the lack of his #2 receiver being gone all year. It's not that his #3 receiver barely played this year. It's not that his #1 receiver is turning into a self-absorbed, non-blocking, live facebooking, "business is boomin'", crybaby, immature, stat compiler that gets ten times the credit Ben does, when it's Ben that makes AB great

Do you notice at the end of halves, they always dump the ball off to AB for a completely insignificant large gain that gets them no points, but pads AB's stat line as the clock runs out? Why do you think that is? I'll give you a hint. It's not because they really think AB is going to score on the play.

It's bad enough he has to listen to his own fans say he doesn't have it anymore. Or that he just doesn't have the fire. Or he takes too much time in between snaps. Or that he's not elite.

No....that's bad......but most of the people that say that don't really know much about football. They're fans that want to bitch about not winning a super bowl every year just because they can. They puff out their chests and demand change.

They're the same idiots that apparently didn't realize that the team has been rebuilding since 2012, and that the only reason they didn't win less than four games a year for a couple years is because #7 was behind center. The same ignorant people that bitch about an 8-8 season, saying it's a failure because they don't understand that without Ben, they win 3 games. You're right though. If it weren't for Ben, they would have much higher draft picks every year. That really is his fault.

The same morons that have to scream to the world that Ben sucks and needs to be replaced. The same ones that say it's great that Ben led them to two super bowl victories and to three all together, but he wasn't great in those games. He needs to take this team to a championship this year to prove that he is great. They are the ones that say how awesome Aaron Rodgers is, and that Ben isn't in the same universe as him as a QB. We'll just ignore the fact the Rodgers has only been to one super bowl in his career, and that his playoff record isn't that great.

Here is a link that shows the playoff records of many famous quarterbacks. Everyone needs to look at it and understand how lucky they have been to have Ben here. http://6thring.com/nfl-qb-playoff-record-roethlisberger-brady-manning.html

Now that you saw that link.....what do you think of Ben's performance here? I know...I know.....it proves nothing to the demanding fan that thinks he needs to win a championship every year.

He sucks on the road huh? Check out Ben's playoff record on the road compared to those "great" quarterbacks not named Brady. Check out Bradshaw's road playoff record and see how he did with all that talent around him.

I think Ben will be back. I just think he is so sick of listening to the media fall all over anyone but him. Aaron Rodgers leads his team to a 31-0 deficit in the third quarter, and it was because his receivers were banged up and his defense sucks. Ben had his team closer, without his #2 and #3 receivers for almost the entire year, his tight end retired at the end of last year and his replacement barely played all year, the best running back in football got injured on the second play of the game, and a defense that was historically bad in the AFC championship game......and we hear questions about Ben's place in football, and questions about how good he really is.

Enough of this bullshit from everyone that demands so much of him, yet knows nothing about what's going on when they watch a football game. They may as well be watching Australian Rules Badminton for the lack of knowledge by so many that criticize him the most.

If he does retire, I will openly mock the people here that give him shit constantly. All the people that say he isn't great, or that he checked out a couple years ago. When the time comes and Ben isn't here anymore, I'm going to bring up all those posts by those same people as they bitch about the next guy. That will happen, because "perrenially unhappy fan" will always be there, flaunting their ignorance because they can.

That's why Ben thinks about cashing in his lottery ticket and living the rest of his life away from football.

:nw::iagree: :applaudit:

86WARD
01-24-2017, 05:32 PM

Great post. It's scary to think what this team would be like without Ben...return to the days of Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham...or even worse, the days of Cliff Stoudt, David Woodley or Mark Malone? I mean right now we are pretty much witnessing the greatest QB to ever wear the Steelers uniform...sure Bradshaw won more Super Bowls and don't get me wrong, he was great and he's obviously a Hall of Famer...he was a Brett Favre type before Brett Favre. He's one of my favorite players. But Roethlisberger is a better all around QB and the best that has worn the Steelers uniform. You're most likely not going to get a player at QB that's as good as him. Not many teams go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck, Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers, Joe Montana to Steve Young...most of the time it's Terry Bradshaw to Mark Malone or Dan Fouts to Mark Malone or Dan Marino to Jay Fiedler or John Elway to Brian Griese...

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Seriously I do not think Roethlisberger is on the decline.The reason why he was not as good as in 2014 and 2015 was because Wheaton and Bryant was out for the year or almost and the Miller's retirement and his replacement was almost always out of the lineup.

The game against the pats, Ben had no chance of winning this game, since his WR dropped a lot of ball (over 110 yards in total) and of course the defense was atrocious.

fansince'76
01-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Seriously I do not think Roethlisberger is on the decline.The reason why he was not as good as in 2014 and 2015 was because Wheaton and Bryant was out for the year or almost and the Miller's retirement and his replacement was almost always out of the lineup.

The game against the pats, Ben had no chance of winning this game, since his WR dropped a lot of ball (over 110 yards in total) and of course the defense was atrocious.

That game was lost when Butler trotted out the patented LeBeau soft zone, which Brady has chewed up and spit out his entire career. Way to make a scrub lacrosse player look like an All-Pro! (golf clap)

BlackAndGold
01-24-2017, 05:37 PM
I don't think he retires. I do believe he'll call it quits in the next 2 years.

He's going to be 35, but I'm sure he feels 40+.

AtlantaDan
01-24-2017, 05:37 PM

I do not think I am a Ben basher and think he is the greatest QB in Steelers history. If some of my posts come across to the contrary then so be it - he is an exceptional but not perfect QB (e.g. - his regular season habit of chucking it up for grabs 2 -3 times a game)

As far as Ben's feelings being hurt, he's a professional athlete making huge $$$ - I think he knows getting criticized when you do not win is part of the package, although I was surprised he blamed Haley today for calling the plays on the QB sneak issue since he can check out of any play and often does - maybe he is sensitive about that.

As far as Rodgers being the Golden Boy, I think Ben knows after Milledegville he blew up any chance of the league or sportswriters helping to build his legend - as an old George Michael song said, some mistakes are built to last

As for his comments today, I think it is a combination of being worn down after a long season that did not end in a championship and Ben liking to stir the pot

IMO it would have been more likely for Ben to seriously contemplate retirement if the Steelers would have won the Super Bowl - few athletes get to go out on top - one of them was his childhood idol John Elway and another was his teammate The Bus.

FWIW I wish he would dump the damn radio show - this is not the 1960s when players needed the $$$ for that sort of activity and I think Ben feels an obligation to make "news" when he is on every Tuesday during the season

fansince'76
01-24-2017, 05:39 PM
As far as Rodgers being the Golden Boy, I think Ben knows after Milledegville he blew up any chance of the league or sportswriters helping to build his legend

He never got any credit or the benefit of the doubt prior to that either. I still vividly remember Hines calling him "soft" because he took himself out of a game after he got his bell rung.

teegre
01-24-2017, 05:46 PM
IMO it would have been more likely for Ben to seriously contemplate retirement if the Steelers would have won the Super Bowl - few athletes get to go out on top - one of them was his childhood idol John Elway and another was his teammate The Bus.

When he mentioned "Le'Veon Bell = Terrell Davis", I thought that (if the Steelers had won) BB might retire.

I was one season early.

"Win #7 for #7" shall be our mantra.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 05:57 PM
Relax Steelers fans, Big Ben is just blowing off steam and isn't going anywhere

Retirement is broached in radio spot; while he won't quit, he's also not crazy about Todd Haley

by Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 33m ago • 5 min read

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/relax-steelers-fans-big-ben-is-just-blowing-off-steam-and-isnt-going-anywhere/

- - - Updated - - -

Haley's contract is over and I think Haley will not be back....

teegre
01-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Retirement is broached in radio spot; while he won't quit, he's also not crazy about Todd Haley

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/relax-steelers-fans-big-ben-is-just-blowing-off-steam-and-isnt-going-anywhere/

- - - Updated - - -

#CRASH

Dwinsgames
01-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Mahomes

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 05:59 PM
#CRASH

I've never been a big fan of Haley but Crash was going too far on him by blaming all on him

Dwinsgames
01-24-2017, 06:04 PM
I've never been a big fan of Haley but Crash was going too far on him by blaming all on him

agree , Haley's unit didn't play zone and didn't give up 30+ ... blame pie comes in jumbo size too

AtlantaDan
01-24-2017, 06:05 PM

- - - Updated - - -

So according to La Confora we need to read Ben's comments on his radio show like a Rosetta Stone and the retirement talk is just a head fake to avoid drawing attention to his secret message to Tomlin that by blaming Haley today for not calling the QB sneak this means Ben is saying HALEY MUST GO!

Welcome to the offseason :sofunny:

pczach
01-24-2017, 06:19 PM
I do not think I am a Ben basher and think he is the greatest QB in Steelers history. If some of my posts come across to the contrary then so be it - he is an exceptional but not perfect QB (e.g. - his regular season habit of chucking it up for grabs 2 -3 times a game)

As far as Ben's feelings being hurt, he's a professional athlete making huge $$$ - I think he knows getting criticized when you do not win is part of the package, although I was surprised he blamed Haley today for calling the plays on the QB sneak issue since he can check out of any play and often does - maybe he is sensitive about that.

As far as Rodgers being the Golden Boy, I think Ben knows after Milledegville he blew up any chance of the league or sportswriters helping to build his legend - as an old George Michael song said, some mistakes are built to last

As for his comments today, I think it is a combination of being worn down after a long season that did not end in a championship and Ben liking to stir the pot

FWIW I wish he would dump the damn radio show - this is not the 1960s when players needed the $$$ for that sort of activity and I think Ben feels an obligation to make "news" when he is on every Tuesday during the season

My rant wasn't directed at you Dan.

I'm talking mostly to the people that I share "Game Day" threads with that bash him constantly. It's also people that criticize him within the message board incessantly.

I think Ben deserves criticism from time to time, and I also don't like some of the stuff he says in the media. The radio show should go away IMO as well.

Ben's bad personal decisions have something to do with the national impression of him and with some of the media. However, that shouldn't matter when we are talking about X's and O's and talking about real football here from a strictly evaluation perspective. His alleged indiscretions should have nothing to do with evaluating him as a player, particularly with his own fans.

Ben likes making statements about his own injuries and occasionally makes a comment that gets some attention, but I've never heard him make comments like this before. I think he's emotional after the big loss, and he doesn't like the way things are going with certain aspects of the team. He knows how close they are if they could just clean up some of the garbage that has permeated the locker room and the field.

I believe he's tired of the Pittsburgh bullshit. By that I mean the irate fans that I'm referencing here, Terry Bradshaw, the unreasonable expectations of fans in general, and what he perceives as an incredible lack of respect as a player. Even his old teammates make comments about Ben as commentators, when the only reason they are sitting in front of a camera making money for talking football is because Ben delivered a couple rings to make them more relevant than they would have been otherwise.

I know he was probably a douche when he was younger, but he has not been that guy for a while now and I think he's just tired of getting questioned by people that he has brought so much success to.

He is now the team leader that everyone looks to for guidance. He shouldn't have to be propped up and explained by people like me. His record should speak for itself.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 06:23 PM

SteelerFanInStl
01-24-2017, 06:32 PM

All that's needed is a mic drop after that post. :applaudit::iagree:

Terrapinstation
01-24-2017, 06:36 PM
I'd retire if I was Ben. His entire offense, save for the line and Jesse James, are the most immature selfish assholes I've ever seen in my life on one squad.

Wanna bitch about AB's facebook? I agree. And why's nobody talking about the other idiots standing there next to him 'stylin and profilin'?

Leveon Bell raps about how he should be paid $15 million a year, how 'focused' he is, yet gets suspended the last two years for pulling tubes. I won't even bring up his injury history.

Martavius Bryant. Minus the rapping, see above.

Point is, not one of these idiots gives a shit about the team. This collection of clowns are arrogant beyond belief, which is amazing since they've never won shit.

Maybe Ben's tired of trying to defend these idiots behaviors every interview he gives?

That all being said, I'm pretty confident he'll be back. But if Tomlin can't get some control of this team, I can't blame him for walking

Shoes
01-24-2017, 07:15 PM

No doubt, and its possible Tomlin and Haley are the bullshit.

Butch
01-24-2017, 07:25 PM
You know it's funny Ben gets criticized just before the playoffs by some hack who calls him the most polarizing player in the NFL. This comes out of the clear blue sky for no reason other than this idiot wants to spew his opinion and get lots of people to read his garbage. Who knows what affect this has on his decision to call it quits. He paid a price for simply being accused.

Brady gets all the glory and his team had to cheat to get it's success. The media falls all over itself to praise both him and his coach nobody has the balls to talk about their cheating. To be honest that's the way the NFL wants it or should I say go to hell wants it. Deflategate was a joke a simple attempt for the NFL to make itself look good for coming down on golden boy and doing so with absolutely no teeth. Shady restructures contract so he loses nothing during the suspension. But hey the media is all about you tommy boy, you show that big bad commissioner what a goat you are.

I don't blame Ben, I blame media and the fans who are never satisfied with Ben.

SteelMayhem72
01-24-2017, 07:44 PM
I'd retire if I was Ben. His entire offense, save for the line and Jesse James, are the most immature selfish assholes I've ever seen in my life on one squad.

Wanna bitch about AB's facebook? I agree. And why's nobody talking about the other idiots standing there next to him 'stylin and profilin'?

Leveon Bell raps about how he should be paid $15 million a year, how 'focused' he is, yet gets suspended the last two years for pulling tubes. I won't even bring up his injury history.

Martavius Bryant. Minus the rapping, see above.

Point is, not one of these idiots gives a shit about the team. This collection of clowns are arrogant beyond belief, which is amazing since they've never won shit.

Maybe Ben's tired of trying to defend these idiots behaviors every interview he gives?

That all being said, I'm pretty confident he'll be back. But if Tomlin can't get some control of this team, I can't blame him for walking
Amen...i remember a pretty good while back me saying the same thing about some of the "jivey" actions of a few players and some didnt take those comments to well...now we are starting to see the results of the continued arrogance. It starts with the head coach! I hate to say it but all mighty bellicheat would not ever tolerate this behavior and you see how disciplined his team is by their play on the field. I think Ben is pissed about this for sure. Troy P was pissed his last couple of seasons as well...especially when mitchell came on with his celebrating after every hit! Tomlin better get this shit under control quick or i say show him the door!

Iron Steeler
01-24-2017, 07:44 PM
When he mentioned "Le'Veon Bell = Terrell Davis", I thought that (if the Steelers had won) BB might retire.

I was one season early.

"Win #7 for #7" shall be our mantra.

I jist jumped pn here to say that! Man you reading my mind. I remeber Ben saying something along the lines " Leveon Bell can be my Terrell davis and carry me to supetbowl" paraphrasing here. But i reallh think Ben might be serious. Maybe he was thinking win the superbowl.leave on top.

Terrapinstation
01-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Belichek would NEVER tolerate even one dance-happy loudmouth, let alone several one one side of the ball. The few he gave chances to either straightened up (Moss, Blount), or were promptly shipped out (Ocho Stinko). Above all else, he wants guys that are intelligent, and capable of following a script. There's no rapping. No thug life. No social media. No pouting about not getting the ball. None of that shit. Gronk is about as bad as it get there, and all he does is bang chicks.

When Blount was here he was busted for weed, and literally quit during a game. Up there, he's a perfect citizen and teammate.

It takes a lot to be good enough, confident enough, and successful enough to not have to put up with that shit. That's why Belichek is the best, and Tomlin is well, Tomlin. Not a total knock on Tomlin, cause the majority of coaches are just like him or worse

86WARD
01-24-2017, 08:14 PM
If you want to call, Bell and Brown "thugs" or whatever, Gronk is right there with them...lol.

vader29
01-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Maybe he meant that he was tired?

http://i63.tinypic.com/nbt401.jpg

Terrapinstation
01-24-2017, 08:27 PM
If you want to call, Bell and Brown "thugs" or whatever, Gronk is right there with them...lol.

Cool. LMK when Gronk gets suspended multiple times or whines about his stats, posts locker room live feeds, get multiple penalties a year for twerking, etc.

teegre
01-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Belichek would NEVER tolerate even one dance-happy loudmouth, let alone several one one side of the ball. The few he gave chances to either straightened up (Moss, Blount), or were promptly shipped out (Ocho Stinko). Above all else, he wants guys that are intelligent, and capable of following a script. There's no rapping. No thug life. No social media. No pouting about not getting the ball. None of that shit. Gronk is about as bad as it get there, and all he does is bang chicks.

When Blount was here he was busted for weed, and literally quit during a game. Up there, he's a perfect citizen and teammate.

It takes a lot to be good enough, confident enough, and successful enough to not have to put up with that shit. That's why Belichek is the best, and Tomlin is well, Tomlin. Not a total knock on Tomlin, cause the majority of coaches are just like him or worse

Aaron Hernandez

Donte Stallworth

Michael Floyd

:jerkit:

Rara
01-24-2017, 08:37 PM
I hope this is just him being angry about the loss..I know that injuries have caught up with him and not a spring chicken neither. QB becomes #1 priority if he retires.

teegre
01-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Amen...i remember a pretty good while back me saying the same thing about some of the "jivey" actions of a few players and some didnt take those comments to well...now we are starting to see the results of the continued arrogance. It starts with the head coach! I hate to say it but all mighty bellicheat would not ever tolerate this behavior and you see how disciplined his team is by their play on the field. I think Ben is pissed about this for sure. Troy P was pissed his last couple of seasons as well...especially when mitchell came on with his celebrating after every hit! Tomlin better get this shit under control quick or i say show him the door!

jivey > murder

jivey > manslaughter

jivey > drunk driving

SteelMayhem72
01-24-2017, 08:43 PM
jivey > murder

jivey > manslaughter

jivey > drunk driving
Of course those are far worse things...i by know means thinking that way...im talking about the selfish attitudes that deal with the locker room and on the field play...that other shit is away from the field and dealt with in that manner...bellicheat still has him team focused

Terrapinstation
01-24-2017, 08:44 PM
Aaron Hernandez

Donte Stallworth

Michael Floyd

Um, I think Hernandez is kinda in a league all by himself (no pun intended).
Stallworth played a handful of games with them
Floyd had a DUI, and has played a handful of snaps for NE

Again, get back to me when you come up with multiple suspensions, incidents, embarrassments, etc. Not saying it isn't possible. Happens to every team in the league. But Belichek doesn't put up with it. Sure they cheat, but player distractions are pretty damn rare up there, which is why his team is always focused and prepared.

teegre
01-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Belichek doesn't put up with it.

The Arizona Cardinals are the ones who didn't put up with Michael Floyd. They cut him... and Belichick signed him immediately.

Belichick knew about Aaron Hernandez... and still extended his contract.

Edman
01-24-2017, 09:05 PM
I think being humiliated by the Patriots for the umpteenth time has taken a toll on Ben's psyche. Him, like everyone else here, is tired of it.

Then we have Antonio Clown pouting on the sideline then disappearing. Can't say I blame him.

86WARD
01-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Belichick was told that Hernandez was a head case and he still drafted him...

teegre
01-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Belichick was told that Hernandez was a head case and he still drafted him...

Worse yet, there were rumors that Belichick knew about Hernandez's gang affiliation... and still gave him a contract extension.

st33lersguy
01-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Aaron Hernandez

Donte Stallworth

Michael Floyd

Cheap shot artist legarrette the Blount

Craic
01-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Just heard about Ben.

It make sense. I'd imagine each season is getting more wearisome than the last. And now, with him being a husband and a father, and probably has more than enough money left to relax and help raise his children while doing some work here and there, no longer having to suit up each week probably looks pretty good.

I'd imagine he's coming back this year, but as I've said before, we only have a couple years left with him. Time to stockpile trades and get ready for the next QB.

ALLD
01-25-2017, 05:58 AM
He can't get up for 16 games.

fansince'76
01-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Worse yet, there were rumors that Belichick knew about Hernandez's gang affiliation... and still gave him a contract extension.

BUTT HEEZ GEE-NEE-OUS!!! :jerkit:

polamalubeast
01-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Ron Cook: No doubt Ben Roethlisberger will play on

Ben Roethlisberger is scheduled to meet with Dan Rooney and Art Rooney II today at Steelers headquarters. He has a dinner planned tonight with Mike Tomlin. I’m hoping Antonio Brown gets invited to both. I’d love to watch on Facebook Live. I’m guessing you would, too.

Roethlisberger made national news Tuesday on his 93.7 The Fan radio show when he didn’t commit to coming back to the Steelers next year for a 14th NFL season. “I’m going to take this offseason to evaluate, to consider all options. To consider health and family and things like that and just kind of take some time away to evaluate next season … if there’s going to be a next season.”

Reached by telephone later Tuesday, Roethlisberger didn’t back down from those comments. “I’m not trying to be a drama queen or whatever they say I am. And I’m not saying I’m not coming back. I just think it’s prudent for anyone who’s played the game as long as I have to talk to the people you love and make the best decision about your future for you and your family. All that says about me is that I’m smart.”

Roethlisberger also said he mentioned possible retirement to Tomlin in the past. “Maybe after last season I did. I’m sure we’ll have the same conversation again after next season if that’s how it plays out.”

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2017/01/25/Ron-Cook-No-doubt-Ben-Roethlisberger-will-play-on/stories/201701250111

SteelMayhem72
01-25-2017, 11:59 AM
Im thinking now he comes back for one more year

DesertSteel
01-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Reached by telephone later Tuesday, Roethlisberger didn’t back down from those comments. “I’m not trying to be a drama queen"
When you have to say that you're not.... well, that's what you are.

polamalubeast
01-25-2017, 06:03 PM

ALLD
01-25-2017, 09:06 PM
Fulfill the existing contract and make the most of it. Then don't look back or have any regrets.

fansince'76
01-25-2017, 10:45 PM
Reached by telephone later Tuesday, Roethlisberger didn’t back down from those comments. “I’m not trying to be a drama queen"

When you have to say that you're not.... well, that's what you are.

A little context always helps...

Reached by telephone later Tuesday, Roethlisberger didn’t back down from those comments. “I’m not trying to be a drama queen or whatever they say I am."

Which kinda lends itself back to pczach's great and right-on-the-money post earlier (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/26765-Ben-said-that-he-won-t-commit-to-coming-back-next-season-Implies-he-s-open-to-retirement?p=581171&viewfull=1#post581171):

Not to mention stuff like this:

Now all of a sudden he's being thrown into the same boat as a guy who spent a good half-decade retiring, then un-retiring then retiring again where the running joke during the same time was "Soooo, when/where is Favre's annual retirement/un-retirement press conference gonna be this year?" Really? :rolleyes:

I truly wouldn't blame him if he does wind up saying "Fuck this, I'm out."

Mojouw
01-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Maybe he wants to be sure he can still walk and talk when he does hang them up? Not be in a wheelchair drooling when his kids graduate high school?

Any one of these players who does not seriously evaluate retirement every off-season cycle would be pretty damn dumb in my opinion. If my job consistently offered the possibility of crippling bodily injury or long-term mental degradation - - I would constantly be evaluating my own risk-reward ratio.

polamalubeast
01-26-2017, 05:17 PM

86WARD
01-26-2017, 05:58 PM
I was just thinking about that...I was wondering if he would have to give money back. Like Boomer, I think it's safe to say Ben will be here for a couple more years.

polamalubeast
01-26-2017, 07:37 PM

AtlantaDan
01-26-2017, 07:43 PM

Nice find

So did the Steelers have an open bar on the sidelines to prompt that maudlin goodbye ?

Gilbert had a great WTF reaction after that exchange:noidea:

SteelMayhem72
01-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Nice find

So did the Steelers have an open bar on the sidelines to prompt that maudlin goodbye ?

Gilbert had a great WTF reaction after that exchange:noidea:
Damn after seeing that im not so sure he will come back...he may be fed up like others are saying

Shoes
01-26-2017, 10:34 PM
America loves soaps. :chuckle:

smokin3000gt
01-26-2017, 10:42 PM

wtf kind of crap is that to say on the sideline during a game? If you're thinking about quitting, think about it then speak. Don't say your goodbyes in the middle of a game. He's supposed to be the leader of the team, not the guy waving the white flag before the battle is over...

salamander
01-26-2017, 10:48 PM
Personally, I'll give it like a 60/40 shot he comes back - 60% he comes back, 40% he doesn't....it certainly sounds like he isn't committed right now.

IF he actually decided to retire, would he fork out the $18m he would owe the team, or do you think the Steelers might "redo" his contract as a courtesy?

43Hitman
01-27-2017, 03:48 AM
What happened to the video that PB posted?

86WARD
01-27-2017, 06:06 AM
I didn't see the video either.

fansince'76
01-27-2017, 06:19 AM
What happened to the video that PB posted?

It must have gotten pulled.

teegre
01-27-2017, 06:28 AM
IF he actually decided to retire, would he fork out the $18m he would owe the team, or do you think the Steelers might "redo" his contract as a courtesy?

It's a business. They'd make him give it back.

Considering that the Steelers would be going with a rookie QB, they'd have to rely on having an amazing surrounding cast. Ergo, that $18 million would be used to sign a top free agent. It'd basically be like the 2001 season: great everywhere... except at QB.

salamander
01-27-2017, 06:56 AM
It's a business. They'd make him give it back.

Considering that the Steelers would be going with a rookie QB, they'd have to rely on having an amazing surrounding cast. Ergo, that $18 million would be used to sign a top free agent. It'd basically be like the 2001 season: great everywhere... except at QB.

I have to agree with you on that one, which is why I believe it's more likely he comes back.

Born2Steel
01-27-2017, 07:51 AM
My issue with this entire thing is, he needs to let somebody know. Yes, let him take some time, a month, to think it over. Then it's either retirement or coming back for another season. I do not want him to retire yet. That's me being selfish as a fan. But don't wait until after the draft or as training camps start up and drop the bomb then. I know nobody has control over that, but that would be the decent way to bow out.

On that note though, I don't believe he will retire now. We were just in the AFCCG with a pretty damn good offense around him, and a very young and promising defense. $18 million and another REAL shot at getting back to the SB, he can't just let that slip away.

Shoes
01-27-2017, 08:08 AM
wtf kind of crap is that to say on the sideline during a game? If you're thinking about quitting, think about it then speak. Don't say your goodbyes in the middle of a game. He's supposed to be the leader of the team, not the guy waving the white flag before the battle is over...

Agreed! This entire soap is BS on Ben's part.

polamalubeast
01-27-2017, 09:36 AM

I think it was at the end of the game that Ben said it...

Shoes
01-27-2017, 10:54 AM
I think it was at the end of the game that Ben said it...

Doesnt matter

polamalubeast
01-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Doesnt matter

Why?

Big difference from doing it in the middle of the game and at the end of the game when the patriots were doing the victory formation.

fansince'76
01-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Why?

Big difference from doing it in the middle of the game and at the end of the game when the patriots were doing the victory formation.

And the fact remains that he just MIGHT follow through with it.

fansince'76
01-27-2017, 11:09 AM

Really don't give a rat's ass what Boomer Esiason thinks about it...

Shoes
01-27-2017, 11:48 AM
Why?

That type of statement in public is only to draw attention to yourself. Just go home and get a hug from your wife.

86WARD
01-27-2017, 01:34 PM
He's not giving $19M back. As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-story.

pczach
01-27-2017, 03:37 PM

It's amazing what these ex-players that now make a great living making outlandish statements like Boomer Esiason can say so easily.

Here's a guy that lost his son. How much money would he be willing to fork over to spend more time with his son.

He is making that statement without even considering that Ben might actually be seriously thinking about his brain not getting scrambled so that he can raise his kids and enjoy his time with them....and his kids can have a father that isn't a mentally diminished man.

This might seem strong to some, but if Ben is really considering such things....who are we or anyone to question his sincerity.

After seeing men like Chris Borland retire before they made any big money because they are more worried about their futures as a fathers and husbands, who can doubt this stuff anymore?

Boomer should know better than that, but I guess he needs to keep slamming and mocking people to make his money......Funny how that works, isn't it Boomer?

I'm rolling my eyes at you Boomer......

BnG_Hevn
01-27-2017, 03:42 PM

If he retires, it will force the team to be more serious and rely on one player as much. Just like when Johnson retired from Lions, they stopped depending on just him and others flourished.

If Ben is even on the fence seriously, then it is better to move on. ALL teams go through tough times when looking for a QB so who cares about a tough road without Ben.

Count Steeler
01-27-2017, 03:42 PM

Test.

AtlantaDan
01-27-2017, 04:02 PM
If he retires, it will force the team to be more serious and rely on one player as much. Just like when Johnson retired from Lions, they stopped depending on just him and others flourished.

If Ben is even on the fence seriously, then it is better to move on. ALL teams go through tough times when looking for a QB so who cares about a tough road without Ben.

I think we agree that replacing a QB is unlike any other position

Only team I recall flourishing in the immediate aftermath of the franchise QB moving on were the early 90s 49ers after Montana left - of course the 49ers had Steve Young warming up in the bullpen and Montana got a shove to the door

Colts got Luck to follow Peyton, but it required a season in between where the Colts cratered and got the #1 pick to select Luck

FWIW I enjoy watching the games more when the Steelers are competitive and care about traveling down a tough road without Ben prematurely - I am old enough to remember the last years of the Noll era with Malone and Brister

Born2Steel
01-27-2017, 05:04 PM
Peyton left the Colts and led the Broncos to 2 consecutive superbowls. Luck, not so much. Not that Luck is not a good QB, just that rarely does a team simply 'move on' from a HoF QB with continued success.

Method28
01-27-2017, 09:15 PM
F Boomer, F Phil Simms. F all of them

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

IowaSteeler927
01-28-2017, 01:29 AM
Ben isn't going anywhere. I laughed when I read the initial reports. I think he's just playing games like he usually does. The media is taking something Ben said, and blowing it well out of proportion as well, so that doesn't help the situation either.

Count Steeler
01-28-2017, 06:56 AM
Ben may not retire this off season, but it would be foolish if the Steelers don't seriously address the QB position in the short term.

salamander
01-28-2017, 07:07 AM
Ben may not retire this off season, but it would be foolish if the Steelers don't seriously address the QB position in the short term.

No worries, we have Landry Jones!!! :chuckle:

86WARD
01-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Why are you slamming Boomer Esiason for giving an opinion? He's probably 99% correct in his thought process...

j-d-s
01-28-2017, 11:04 PM
Ben ain't going nowhere. He has a real chance to win another ring in the next years. Next season we might have the best offense in the league with Bryant coming back. Of couse, we need Ben to stay healthy.

smokin3000gt
01-28-2017, 11:21 PM
Even if he stays physically I hope he's here mentally too

polamalubeast
01-31-2017, 02:16 PM

teegre
01-31-2017, 02:19 PM

:director: The Meddling Lawyer vs. The Drama Queen!!!

86WARD
01-31-2017, 04:53 PM
Probably went something like:

AR: Hiw you feeling Ben?
BR: Okay, felling good, hanging in there.
AR: Uhhhh....about that retirement? You know if you leave, I want my $19M back.
BR: Ummmmmmm...about that....
AR: Okay. See you in August.
BR: Sounds Good.
AR: Keep in touch.

AtlantaDan
01-31-2017, 05:47 PM
And now Bradshaw returns to :stirthepot:

As the Steelers’ season is over, you may think the Terry Bradshaw Steelers Opinion Tour would be over, too. You’d be wrong. Bradshaw, in Houston as part of Fox’s 10,000-person Super Bowl 51 coverage team, is saying stuff yet again.

Bradshaw wasn’t on video dropping the “pity move” line, but he said enough.

“If Ben was sitting right here, I’d say ‘Ben, why’d you say it? Don’t say that.”

“It gets blown out of proportion. You make the organization uncomfortable.”

Then Bradshaw made an airplane noise with his mouth. “I wouldn’t have said that. Keep that quiet.”

“Who’s he sending a message to? Coach? I’m already in enough trouble with that coach!”

And, of course, No. 12 loves No. 7: “Ben and I have had our moments, but I’ve said this — if I could take one player today and build my team around, it’d be him.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/sean-gentille/2017/01/31/super-bowl-51-terry-bradshaw-ben-roethlisberger-retirement-mike-tomlin-steelers/stories/201701310276

polamalubeast
01-31-2017, 05:50 PM

43Hitman
01-31-2017, 05:52 PM
That didn't seem too bad. He has a point in that Ben should have kept that in house. It freaked the whole Nation out, lol.

86WARD
01-31-2017, 06:59 PM
Meh...I have to kind of agree with Bradshaw here...Ben didn't need to go public with that. Ben isn't very smart when it comes to speaking to the media.

But then neither is Terry...lol.

SteelMayhem72
02-01-2017, 12:42 PM
If Ben does come back i hope his heart is in it cause i dont want our QB just going through the motions...at times this year his body language looked like a guy about to retire just from my vantage point.

polamalubeast
02-02-2017, 03:03 PM

Born2Steel
02-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Imagine a world where Ben does retire this year, AB gets traded, and Bell leaves via FA.

Now back to reality. Ben is not retiring, AB will not be traded, and Bell will get resigned.

AtlantaDan
02-02-2017, 04:21 PM
Ben is on a roll regarding how the season ended - these comments when he went on Kentucky coach (and Moon Township native) John Calipari's podcast

[H]e described his view of the Patriots, a team that has beaten Roethlisberger twice in AFC title games and the Steelers three times since the start of the century.

“I’d say there is more respect than hatred,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t think there is a hatred there. We’ve played them twice in my 13 years in the championship game. Obviously, they’ve gotten the better of us in two championship games. They’ve kind of had our number. We’re like the little brother trying to keep up with the big brother, in a sense.”

On the AFC championship: “When you move farther in the tournament, every mistake is magnified. When we played in that championship game, they didn’t make very many mistakes. They have to play a bad game and you have to play a good game. We were a very young team. It might have been a little overwhelming for some of them.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/02/02/Ben-Roethlisberger-steelers-patriots-little-brother-super-bowl-51-john-calipari/stories/201702020206

So are the comments about "little brother" and the continuation of the contention some younger players were overwhelmed an attempt at motivation for next season or is Ben simply out out of f**cks to give about the Pats owning the Steelers?

GBMelBlount
02-02-2017, 06:49 PM
I don't believe Ben will retire.

However I wonder if his posturing might give Tomlin the impetus to make decisions on questionable coaches sooner due to the realization that his lombardi window may be closing.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben is on a roll regarding how the season ended - these comments when he went on Kentucky coach (and Moon Township native) John Calipari's podcast

[H]e described his view of the Patriots, a team that has beaten Roethlisberger twice in AFC title games and the Steelers three times since the start of the century.

“I’d say there is more respect than hatred,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t think there is a hatred there. We’ve played them twice in my 13 years in the championship game. Obviously, they’ve gotten the better of us in two championship games. They’ve kind of had our number. We’re like the little brother trying to keep up with the big brother, in a sense.”

On the AFC championship: “When you move farther in the tournament, every mistake is magnified. When we played in that championship game, they didn’t make very many mistakes. They have to play a bad game and you have to play a good game. We were a very young team. It might have been a little overwhelming for some of them.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/02/02/Ben-Roethlisberger-steelers-patriots-little-brother-super-bowl-51-john-calipari/stories/201702020206

So are the comments about "little brother" and the continuation of the contention some younger players were overwhelmed an attempt at motivation for next season or is Ben simply out out of f**cks to give about the Pats owning the Steelers?

Leaning towards A.

I think he is throwing down the gauntlet.

86WARD
02-02-2017, 07:16 PM
AB took to social media again and said that Ben isn't retiring...lol.

PalmerSteel
02-03-2017, 01:10 AM
The Bus did the exact same thing after 2004 championship loss. Ben came to him and begged for one more year that he will get him his ring. Thats what Ben wants from his teammates to come to him. He wants that love in return to give that extra boost of focus for all.

LloydWoodson
02-03-2017, 01:26 AM
Personally I find Ben's remarks highly irritating. Ideally the QB wants to build on the momentum of having made the AFC Championship with a very young team and make at least one more Super Bowl run. Instead he talks about his health and family. He isn't Aikman or Young with a history of concussions. The only concussion I recall he had was in 2011.

Ironically Ben is taking fewer hits now than he ever has in his career. He has been sacked 37 times in the last 2 seasons combined by far the lowest in his career.

Ben was sacked 215 times in 5 years with Arians and 142 times in 5 years with Haley. Haley saved him from being hit at least 150 times compared to the offense Ben wanted to run.

AtlantaDan
02-03-2017, 07:22 AM
He isn't Aikman or Young with a history of concussions. The only concussion I recall he had was in 2011.

Three others I recall

Atlanta 2006 - Cowher played him the next week and Ben threw multiple picks in Oakland after he was questionable to play

KC 2009 - Ben did not play the next week in Baltimore and Hines Ward called him out on national TV for not playing

Seattle 2015

As far as not getting pounded as much in recent years, the wear and tear is cumulative and old injuries cause problems later in life. Ben did not take a big hit in the Miami game where he hurt his knee this season but as you get older your body simply breaks down

This article on Earl Campbell is an example

Earl Campbell, one of the most celebrated football heroes in Texas, leaned on a metal walker and shuffled to the front of his office last week to greet visitors.He said he has had both knees replaced and had four back surgeries and battled substance abuse since his playing career ended three decades ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super/2017/01/31/earl-campbell-super-bowl-li-51-houston-oilers-texas-running-back-pain-gain-pro-football-hall-of-fame/97258738/

I think Ben will be back but at some point you are tired of getting hit

salamander
02-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Here's my issue and I think someone else mentioned to as well...

If Ben even has an inkling of retiring, I don't want to see him trot out there half-assed with his head not in the game and just going through the motions.

86WARD
02-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Here's my issue and I think someone else mentioned to as well...

If Ben even has an inkling of retiring, I don't want to see him trot out there half-assed with his head not in the game and just going through the motions.

Still better than whatever they would replace him with...lol.

teegre
02-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Still better than whatever they would replace him with...lol.

Exactly.

BB could play Mario Cart on the sidelines and still play better than Landry Jones (who, from what I've heard ad nauseum, reeeally knows the playbook).

Iron Steeler
02-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Ben is trying to wake up the youngsters. AB especially should be on high alert now. Since when Ben is not under center he seems to vanish as well.