PDA

View Full Version : Sammie Coates

LloydWoodson
01-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Sammie Coates can not catch over his shoulder. That is a catch AB makes look effortless. Why is Coates being asked to make that catch? Why use a WR as a deep threat that can't make that catch? What does Coates bring and why is he on the team?

If Coates catches Ben's pefect pass and the Steelers defend the fle flicker it is 16-10 Steelers at the half.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=EyauI8v5jbo

Edman
01-24-2017, 08:17 AM
What I want to know is why take that shot in the first place?

It was 3rd and 1. To one of the most unreliable receivers on the team.

Quick 3 and Out. Momentum right on back to New England.

Heres an elephant in the room people don't talk about. The Offensive performance. Haley's Gameplan was crap and not only did Ben put up his usual nothingness against the Pats. It took them 3 and a half quarters to reach double digits.

86WARD
01-24-2017, 12:22 PM
I can understand some of the shots that Ben takes. If he sees something in coverage that is giving him the opportunity to take that shot, then that's fine...problem is, they take that shot a lot and it hasn't been working.

Moose
01-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Alligator arms can't catch.....trade him !

steelreserve
01-24-2017, 01:48 PM

Heres an elephant in the room people don't talk about. The Offensive performance. Haley's Gameplan was crap and not only did Ben put up his usual nothingness against the Pats. It took them 3 and a half quarters to reach double digits.

Both our offense and defense looked completely uncoordinated on Sunday. Almost as if there was no one whose job it was to coordinate them. Do we have someone like that? If not, we should get one. If there was a word for it, I would call it a "coordinator."

Steeldude
01-24-2017, 01:53 PM
But, but, but it's his fingers.

What does the WR coach on the Steelers. I have been saying for the longest time now, Coates has no idea how to catch a football. If you have to teach an adult male how to catch a football in the NFL that should tell you something. Don't re-sign him. Trade him if you can. You know who won't take him? Belichick.

Born2Steel
01-24-2017, 02:01 PM

To me the 'elephant' is obvious and that's probably why nobody is talking about it. When Bell left the game,(11 offensive snaps in) NE took AB out of the game defensively. That pretty much put a lit match to any game plan we had right there. I don't know if things could have gone differently, but I do know we were done without Bell AND AB.

- - - Updated - - -

But, but, but it's his fingers.

What does the WR coach on the Steelers. I have been saying for the longest time now, Coates has no idea how to catch a football. If you have to teach an adult male how to catch a football in the NFL that should tell you something. Don't re-sign him. Trade him if you can. You know who won't take him? Belichick.

Coates has been bad. The injury to his hand didn't help him any, that should be understood. I saw him play a few games at Auburn and he was the guy. When you needed a big play the ball went to Coates. He was considered one of the best big play WRs in college football at that time. Why he's not catching the ball now, I don't know. I know he knows how to catch a football. He just doesn't and that's become a serious problem.

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2017, 02:22 PM

hindsight is 20/20. Ben had 3 of his TD passes dropped, 2 on Cobi and 1 on Coates. They were all perfect throws, and Ben knew we would need to make every play to win that game

Shoes
01-24-2017, 02:23 PM
KR or WR, makes no difference.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/COATES_zpsnsnyiowt.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/vestkap/media/COATES_zpsnsnyiowt.jpg.html)

st33lersguy
01-24-2017, 05:33 PM
Coates has been pretty bad. Certainly not someone who you want at WR

86WARD
01-24-2017, 05:43 PM
He's got the Limas Disease.

teegre
01-24-2017, 05:53 PM
Danielle Hunter was on the board. I got excited. :willy:

The Steelers drafted Coates instead. I was sad. :no:

Coates is a stiff, and Hunter is the pass-rusher we need. I am angry. :mad:

BlackAndGold
01-24-2017, 06:04 PM
I wanna know why in the hell they were throwing deep on 3 & 1 anyway. Should almost be a run or a check down play every time.

teegre
01-24-2017, 06:06 PM
I wanna know why in the hell they were throwing deep on 3 & 1 anyway. Should almost be a run or a check down play every time.

That's BB.

Live by the sword, die by the sword... (and usually, we live).

Terrapinstation
01-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Any chance Coates can move to DB? Dude may have worse hands than Ike Taylor

pczach
01-24-2017, 06:48 PM

Everybody always says that, but what did you think about handing it off at the six inch line twice and losing five yards? Sometimes that stuff just happens.

Ben has absolutely killed it the last few years on those third and short situations when he takes the deep shot. It was a perfect throw to a guy that didn't make the catch.

Coates had to play in this game because he is their best deep threat. They knew without him out there or DHB making a couple plays, the Pats would have been playing downhill defense and compressing the field all day.

Bell was out of the game and AB was covered by their best corner in trail technique with a safety over the top all day. Belichick schemed it so that the Steelers young receivers would need to be the ones to beat them. They didn't get it done. Ben threw a lot of perfect passes that could have been huge plays and touchdowns, but they couldn't get it done. It doesn't mean they're all bums and we should be done with them. It just means that they were young guys that were overcome by the pressure of the big game. I think they'll all be ok down the road.

SteelMayhem72
01-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Everybody always says that, but what did you think about handing it off at the six inch line twice and losing five yards? Sometimes that stuff just happens.

Ben has absolutely killed it the last few years on those third and short situations when he takes the deep shot. It was a perfect throw to a guy that didn't make the catch.

Coates had to play in this game because he is their best deep threat. They knew without him out there or DHB making a couple plays, the Pats would have been playing downhill defense and compressing the field all day.

Bell was out of the game and AB was covered by their best corner in trail technique with a safety over the top all day. Belichick schemed it so that the Steelers young receivers would need to be the ones to beat them. They didn't get it done. Ben threw a lot of perfect passes that could have been huge plays and touchdowns, but they couldn't get it done. It doesn't mean they're all bums and we should be done with them. It just means that they were young guys that were overcome by the pressure of the big game. I think they'll all be ok down the road.
I agree...we as fans are always gonna analyze and critique every snap and what if anything we would do different. Nature of the beast as a fan...that being said thats why there are so many different plays at Bens disposal...comes down to a chess match so to speak.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LloydWoodson
01-25-2017, 07:17 AM

Yeah if the Steelers learn to take shots at the end zone on SECOND or even FIRST down... and convert on third if it doesn't work... sky is the limit.

The first series Ben threw that ball perfectly and Coates dropped it. The second series AB was covered by Butler who had safety help over the top and he threw it anyways. That was a horrible decision and nearly intercepted save for AB's effort. Either way that resulted in the 0 first quarter points and Steelers were playing catch up after that.

Ben is now 13-34 in games he has thrown 40+ passes...

DesertSteel
01-25-2017, 09:15 AM
They throw on 3rd and 1 because that's when they get one-on-one match ups. It's boom or bust, which in some cases is called for, but way too often has been misused and killed drives the past couple years.

Mojouw
01-25-2017, 04:32 PM

I remember a 4th quarter drive in a certain SB that a bunch of young WRs named Wallace and AB looked like the damn keystone kops. Those two ended up having fairly nice NFL careers.

pczach
01-25-2017, 04:58 PM
I remember a 4th quarter drive in a certain SB that a bunch of young WRs named Wallace and AB looked like the damn keystone kops. Those two ended up having fairly nice NFL careers.

Very true.

We still don't know what they have at WR. One more full camp and the experience of what it takes to get it done in the playoffs is powerful stuff.

Steeldude
01-25-2017, 07:53 PM
To me the 'elephant' is obvious and that's probably why nobody is talking about it. When Bell left the game,(11 offensive snaps in) NE took AB out of the game defensively. That pretty much put a lit match to any game plan we had right there. I don't know if things could have gone differently, but I do know we were done without Bell AND AB.

- - - Updated - - -

Coates has been bad. The injury to his hand didn't help him any, that should be understood. I saw him play a few games at Auburn and he was the guy. When you needed a big play the ball went to Coates. He was considered one of the best big play WRs in college football at that time. Why he's not catching the ball now, I don't know. I know he knows how to catch a football. He just doesn't and that's become a serious problem.

He doesn't know how to catch. His hand placement is bad.

Mojouw
01-25-2017, 08:01 PM
If you guys hate deep threats that drop passes, you're gonna really really hate Kenny Stills.

Since leaving New Orleans, he has never caught more than 52% of the targets thrown his way.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StilKe00.htm

In fact, in 2015 he dropped passes at a Coates/DHB rate.

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2017, 09:02 PM
As frustrated as I was with Coates, but also the coaches handling of his broken fingers (which I see no reason why they wouldn't have healed if they just sidelined him most of the season), I cant help but feel optimistic about what he can add to the offense with his stats (prorated to a 16 game season) from Week 1-Week 5 when he was healthier: 61 receptions...1,392 yards, 6 TD's, 22.8 avg.

Tell me those arent Bobby Hayes numbers. Because they sure as hell look like it. Not to mention Coates still led the NFL for the entire season in 40+ yard receptions in what was essentially, 5 games that he actually played. And this is against defenses that are at least competitive (Pass defense rankings of 1st 5 teams we played: Redskins 25th, Bengals 11th, Eagles 13th, Chiefs 18th, Jets 17th).

We essentially have 5 receiving options with blistering vertical speed for next season: Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant (presumably), Sammie Coates, Darrius Heyward Bey, and Ladarius Green. That has greatest show on the turf vibes written all over it.

tube517
01-26-2017, 01:32 AM
As frustrated as I was with Coates, but also the coaches handling of his broken fingers (which I see no reason why they wouldn't have healed if they just sidelined him most of the season), I cant help but feel optimistic about what he can add to the offense with his stats (prorated to a 16 game season) from Week 1-Week 5 when he was healthier: 61 receptions...1,392 yards, 6 TD's, 22.8 avg.

Tell me those arent Bobby Hayes numbers. Because they sure as hell look like it. Not to mention Coates still led the NFL for the entire season in 40+ yard receptions in what was essentially, 5 games that he actually played. And this is against defenses that are at least competitive (Pass defense rankings of 1st 5 teams we played: Redskins 25th, Bengals 11th, Eagles 13th, Chiefs 18th, Jets 17th).

We essentially have 5 receiving options with blistering vertical speed for next season: Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant (presumably), Sammie Coates, Darrius Heyward Bey, and Ladarius Green. That has greatest show on the turf vibes written all over it.

That's what I am hoping for. Thats why I can't see Ben retiring yet. That's too many toys if they all stay out of trouble and healthy.

Steeldude
01-26-2017, 02:58 AM

Coates can't catch so his speed is useless. Remember Wallace? He put up numbers too. As soon as the moved a safety over he was done.

Bey can kind of catch.

Green is fragile. It's possible he could retire.

Bryant is a mystery. It's very likely he will smoke again.

I will believe it's a potent offense when I see it. As of now I fully expect it to be an inconsistent one relying on low percentage plays to move down field.

Born2Steel
01-26-2017, 12:19 PM
If you guys hate deep threats that drop passes, you're gonna really really hate Kenny Stills.

Since leaving New Orleans, he has never caught more than 52% of the targets thrown his way.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StilKe00.htm

In fact, in 2015 he dropped passes at a Coates/DHB rate.

Ok. But keep in mind he went from catching passes from Drew Brees to Ryan Tannehill to Matt Moore. He's not a FA need, I get that.

DesertSteel
01-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Coates can't catch so his speed is useless. Remember Wallace? He put up numbers too. As soon as the moved a safety over he was done.

Bey can kind of catch.

Green is fragile. It's possible he could retire.

Bryant is a mystery. It's very likely he will smoke again.

I will believe it's a potent offense when I see it. As of now I fully expect it to be an inconsistent one relying on low percentage plays to move down field.

Which is why they will draft a WR in the 3rd round.