PDA

View Full Version : Bradshaw Had A Point

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-23-2017, 07:13 AM
I'm starting to think that and Tomlin is nothing more then a great talking head.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-23-2017, 07:23 AM
Ps to all the Ben worshipers talk to me when he gets 4 to tie Terry. Not going to happen and Ben has been done for years. Sorry you can't see that!

zulater
01-23-2017, 08:06 AM
Ps to all the Ben worshipers talk to me when he gets 4 to tie Terry. Not going to happen and Ben has been done for years. Sorry you can't see that!

So every qb who doesn't win 4 SB's is shit huh? Ben has won 2 SB's, got to 3 SB's, and has gotten a team to the AFC championship game 5 times in 13 seasons. If you think that's a bad resume then you're more clueless than I thought. :doh:

WCSteeler
01-23-2017, 08:21 AM
So every qb who doesn't win 4 SB's is shit huh? Ben has won 2 SB's, got to 3 SB's, and has gotten a team to the AFC championship game 5 times in 13 seasons. If you think that's a bad resume then you're more clueless than I thought. :doh:

Ben has turned out to be more than any fan could ask for in a QB, if the city wanted to erect a statue of the guy there would be no qualms with that decision for 99% of the fan base but what I think your missing is the fact he has declined in his play especially on the road. Ben had a good game yesterday but he way outplayed by Brady and even Tom Bradys WRS had drops but New Englands defense and coaching staff are just superior. By the way not everyone who disagree s with your stance on something is "clueless".

zulater
01-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Ben has turned out to be more than any fan could ask for in a QB, if the city wanted to erect a statue of the guy there would be no qualms with that decision for 99% of the fan base but what I think your missing is the fact he has declined in his play especially on the road. Ben had a good game yesterday but he way outplayed by Brady and even Tom Bradys WRS had drops but New Englands defense and coaching staff are just superior. By the way not everyone who disagree s with your stance on something is "clueless".

Brady also missed some passes. I remember one play in particular when he threw the ball behind a wide open receiver. But yeah he did have a better game than Ben. But they weren't exactly running the same course yesterday either were they? Ben couldn't stand in the pocket and count to 8 while waiting for a receiver to get open now could he? Nor did he have receivers consistently getting huge separation from coverage either. Little different when you have no time and no one really open.

You say Ben's declining. Maybe? But not so much that he's not a championship caliber qb anymore.I mean look at Denver with a shell of himself Peyton Manning last season. Ben's not even close to that level of decline. Particularly if you give him another legitimate wr Look at last years stats, the Steelers lost 3 out of their 4 most productive receivers from last season. It was a factor.

Anyway bottom line is Ben still figures to be a good enough qb to give you a chance to compete for a championship next year. I'm not pulling the rug out from under him just yet. I fix the receiver core, get a better quality back up qb, and try it again next season.

You got a better plan?

AtlantaDan
01-23-2017, 08:45 AM

Put Ben with that 70s defense, a HOF running back, Swann and Stallworth and how do you think he would have done?

EzraTank
01-23-2017, 09:00 AM

Your first comment has a little merit, then to follow it up with this stupidity.

Ben isn't done. He was playing a perfect game until his team got way down and he tried to do too much because his star RB decided that a sore groin was too much to play through. His star receiver was more worried about his Facebook contract and his defense was instructed by their clueless coaches to play the COVER NONE zone defense against a great QB that feasts on zone.

But yeah tell us more about how Ben is done.

86WARD
01-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Who do you want to replace Ben with? It's easy to say he blows and is garbage. Okay...let's say he is. Who can you find that is better? Be the GM...

BlackAndGold
01-23-2017, 11:02 AM
My goodness people. This team just made the conference championships for fucks sake, and got beat by the greatest QB of all time plus their HC, who holds the same level of greatness.

This team will be back in 2017.

polamalubeast
01-23-2017, 11:05 AM
My goodness people. This team just made the conference championships for fucks sake, and got beat by the greatest QB of all time plus their HC, who holds the same level of greatness.

This team will be back in 2017.

This is the way the steelers lost that is the problem.

Their strategy against Brady never works and the steelers have changed nothing.

AtlantaDan
01-23-2017, 11:26 AM
Their strategy against Brady never works and the steelers have changed nothing.

It has happened before - hard to change what you do that works against most of the league and turn on a dime to put in an entirely new system to try and beat one team

Reminds me of the Tom Landry 70s Cowboys, a very successful team, never being able to adjust their approach and beat the 70s Steelers

This from a 1979 article after the Steelers had beaten the Cowboys yet again, this time in a regular season game, for the fourth consecutive time

The question facing Landry as he sits in the silence of the film room and watches his Cowboys getting knocked around by the guys in the black and gold is this: Does he stick with a philosophy that's eminently successful for the great mass of NFL competition but simply won't work against one team? Or does he switch gears and come out roaring? ....

"I don't think we really have to change anything," Landry said. "Pittsburgh just played an excellent defensive game. Even as poorly as we played offensively, we had chances to go in once or twice, but couldn't. If we do, it's a different story."

http://www.si.com/vault/1979/11/05/824127/curtain-call-for-the-steelers-once-again-the-computerized-cowboys-tried-to-play-tricks-on-pittsburgh-and-once-again-they-were-folded-spindled-and-mutilated-by-that-steel-curtain-defense

Sound familiar?

When Dallas won the Super Bowl in 1977 it did not have to go through the Steelers (who had beaten them in the regular season).

Maybe that remains the best plan for the Steelers - hope to avoid playing the Patriots in the playoffs

polamalubeast
01-23-2017, 11:30 AM
It has happened before - hard to change what you do that works against most of the league and turn on a dime to put in an entirely new system to try and beat one team

Reminds me of the Tom Landry 70s Cowboys, a very successful team, never being able to adjust their approach and beat the 70s Steelers

This from a 1979 article after the Steelers had beaten the Cowboys yet again, this time in a regular season game, for the fourth consecutive time

The question facing Landry as he sits in the silence of the film room and watches his Cowboys getting knocked around by the guys in the black and gold is this: Does he stick with a philosophy that's eminently successful for the great mass of NFL competition but simply won't work against one team? Or does he switch gears and come out roaring? ....

"I don't think we really have to change anything," Landry said. "Pittsburgh just played an excellent defensive game. Even as poorly as we played offensively, we had chances to go in once or twice, but couldn't. If we do, it's a different story."

http://www.si.com/vault/1979/11/05/824127/curtain-call-for-the-steelers-once-again-the-computerized-cowboys-tried-to-play-tricks-on-pittsburgh-and-once-again-they-were-folded-spindled-and-mutilated-by-that-steel-curtain-defense

Sound familiar?

When Dallas won the Super Bowl in 1977 it did not have to go through the Steelers (who had beaten them in the regular season).

Maybe that remains the best plan for the Steelers - hope to avoid playing the Patriots in the playoffs

The difference is that the two defeats of the cowboys against the steelers in the super bowl were by only 4 points.

The defeats of the steelers against the patriots are often a blowouts.

43Hitman
01-23-2017, 01:51 PM
The difference is that the two defeats of the cowboys against the steelers in the super bowl were by only 4 points.

The defeats of the steelers against the patriots are often a blowouts.To me a loss is a loss, whether its by 1 point or 50 points. You can't look for comfort in how many you lost by. The fact is, you still lost.

zulater
01-23-2017, 01:56 PM
To me a loss is a loss, whether its by 1 point or 50 points. You can't look for comfort in how many you lost by. The fact is, you still lost.

To me there's a huge difference between losing with dignity ( i.e. Denver playoff last season) and getting your ass handed to you and embarrassed like yesterday.

43Hitman
01-23-2017, 02:07 PM
To me there's a huge difference between losing with dignity ( i.e. Denver playoff last season) and getting your ass handed to you and embarrassed like yesterday.Yeah, I see where you're coming from and figured that would be the jump on point after I posted that. I was probably painting with too broad of strokes because obviously there are grey areas. I guess what I'm trying to say is regardless of how bad it was yesterday, the problem with coverage still exists, it's probably been there the whole time we've been on this winning streak, it just took Brady to expose it. Again.

Shoes
01-23-2017, 02:13 PM
To me there's a huge difference between losing with dignity ( i.e. Denver playoff last season) and getting your ass handed to you and embarrassed like yesterday.

Its become a Steeler trademark, and it's not just good teams that hand it to them.

Born2Steel
01-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I see where you're coming from and figured that would be the jump on point after I posted that. I was probably painting with too broad of strokes because obviously there are grey areas. I guess what I'm trying to say is regardless of how bad it was yesterday, the problem with coverage still exists, it's probably been there the whole time we've been on this winning streak, it just took Brady to expose it. Again.

Not a bad point. Which is why defense will most likely be the focus come draft time again. We've got good players, need more quality depth. People are always complaining about how our DBs play off rather than tight man at the line. Some receivers you can play like that and some you just can't. IMO, we should have played tighter man against the Pats WRs. Dline has been a bright spot this season with Tuitt, Cam(hurt I know), Hargrave, and I'll count James and Dupree from the OLB spots. Plus Timmons and Shaz played well this season. Just need to lessen the drop off at the backup position. Honestly, I think this defense is about to be very good, top 5 good, for a long time.

I hate losing too. 1 point or 100 points, hurts every time.

43Hitman
01-23-2017, 02:28 PM
Not a bad point. Which is why defense will most likely be the focus come draft time again. We've got good players, need more quality depth. People are always complaining about how our DBs play off rather than tight man at the line. Some receivers you can play like that and some you just can't. IMO, we should have played tighter man against the Pats WRs. Dline has been a bright spot this season with Tuitt, Cam(hurt I know), Hargrave, and I'll count James and Dupree from the OLB spots. Plus Timmons and Shaz played well this season. Just need to lessen the drop off at the backup position. Honestly, I think this defense is about to be very good, top 5 good, for a long time.

I hate losing too. 1 point or 100 points, hurts every time.Yep, you play tight on those slow(er) wideouts and play off of Julio Jones' type.

AtlantaDan
01-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I see where you're coming from and figured that would be the jump on point after I posted that. I was probably painting with too broad of strokes because obviously there are grey areas. I guess what I'm trying to say is regardless of how bad it was yesterday, the problem with coverage still exists, it's probably been there the whole time we've been on this winning streak, it just took Brady to expose it. Again.

I hate losing too. 1 point or 100 points, hurts every time.

Since Tomlin and Butler were around for the 2011 game where press coverage against Brady was more successful maybe they concluded all of the current personnel simply could not play it.

But given how wide open the former Penn State lacrosse player was maybe the current personnel could not have played any coverage scheme yesterday.

43Hitman
01-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Since Tomlin and Butler were around for the 2011 game where press coverage against Brady was more successful maybe they concluded all of the current personnel simply could not play it.

But given how wide open the former Penn State lacrosse player was maybe the current personnel could not have played any coverage scheme yesterday.That's certainly a possibility. You would think with the speed we have, that they could handle those guys for the short routes they were running. Just baffling honestly.

Born2Steel
01-23-2017, 02:58 PM

But given how wide open the former Penn State lacrosse player was maybe the current personnel could not have played any coverage scheme yesterday.

I'm honestly at a complete loss on the defense. I recorded the game and stayed up late to watch, even though I already knew the final score. They looked like a different group of guys out there. You cannot play cover 2 vs that offense. I guess they thought nobody would be running seam routes with Gronk out? The middle was money for any QB, let alone Brady.

lipps83
01-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Who do you want to replace Ben with?

https://musicorspaceshuttle.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/1980-flash-gordon-football-trading-card.jpg

smokin3000gt
01-23-2017, 06:29 PM

Hard to expect much out of guy with a shit rag as his avatar...

pczach
01-23-2017, 06:39 PM
I'm honestly at a complete loss on the defense. I recorded the game and stayed up late to watch, even though I already knew the final score. They looked like a different group of guys out there. You cannot play cover 2 vs that offense. I guess they thought nobody would be running seam routes with Gronk out? The middle was money for any QB, let alone Brady.

If you play soft Cover 2 or Cover 3 against Brady, he's going to dissect your defense. He lives to face those defensive schemes. It's like playing pitch and catch. It just doesn't work.

They need to employ a different scheme when they face Belichick and Brady. It's that simple.

DesertSteel
01-23-2017, 08:58 PM
He was right when he said he's not a GREAT coach. But he was disrespectful and hitting below the belt when he called him a cheerleader. Listing to Bradshaw whine like a baby about Noll on the recent documentary about Noll shows what kind of butt hat Bradshaw is.

And while Tomlin is not great (he lacks X's and O's acumen) he is still a good coach.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be hard...

Steeldude
01-23-2017, 09:13 PM
So what exactly does Tomlin do that makes people think he is a good coach? Does he actually help the team win games or he is just along for the ride?

Craic
01-23-2017, 09:24 PM
I honestly do not see why we don't gear our defense to beating the Pats.* The fact of the matter is, we will see them twice a year most years. Once in the reg. season as the number 1 teams play each other, and once in the playoffs. If we know that is the team we will often meet, then it's high time we face reality and start gearing towards playing them. Honestly, a defense that can beat the Pats* and the Ravens is all we need to be looking at multiple SB berths.

DesertSteel
01-23-2017, 09:50 PM
So what exactly does Tomlin do that makes people think he is a good coach? Does he actually help the team win games or he is just along for the ride?
Dude, whether you realize this or not, coaches are measured by Won-Loss records (imagine that) and Tomlin has one of the best.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly do not see why we don't gear our defense to beating the Pats.* The fact of the matter is, we will see them twice a year most years. Once in the reg. season as the number 1 teams play each other, and once in the playoffs. If we know that is the team we will often meet, then it's high time we face reality and start gearing towards playing them. Honestly, a defense that can beat the Pats* and the Ravens is all we need to be looking at multiple SB berths.
Same thing Ozzie did with the Ravens for years: "How does this player help us beat the Steelers?"

Steeldude
01-25-2017, 07:52 PM
Dude, whether you realize this or not, coaches are measured by Won-Loss records (imagine that) and Tomlin has one of the best.

So again, what does he do? No adjustment last Sunday. He knew zone hasn't worked against Brady, but yet still uses zone. It will happen against next season if they meet the Patriots in the playoffs.

ALLD
01-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Ben was never as bad or got benched like Terry. Terry also had arguably the best NFL team in history around him.

ALLD
01-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Put Ben with that 70s defense, a HOF running back, Swann and Stallworth and how do you think he would have done?
Ben needs Mel Blount and Joe Green for 2 more rings.