PDA

View Full Version : With the 30th pick in the draft , the Steelers select

Iron Steeler
01-22-2017, 09:16 PM
I am on the OJ Howard train early. TE from Alabama.

Psycho Ward 86
01-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Howard or Njoku sound phenomenal at the 30th. Ill lean much more towards Howard for now since having a good blocker is crucial when you have a back like Bell around

st33lersguy
01-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Rather see OLB, shutdown CB, or a stud S to help the defense get even better which is really what we need. James isn't bad and Ben has been finding success with the current offensive weapons so TE is not a first round need. Plus there is more value in rushing the passer and getting another cover corner anyway

teegre
01-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Njoku is amazing.
Howard is the better blocker.
McCaffrey is a weapon.

As much as I want a pass rusher, the depth indicates that there will be a very good OLB avalaibke at 62. So, give me one of those three offensive players at 30.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-22-2017, 10:55 PM
Trade it for Romo and at least he is hungry and has some fire lol.

DesertSteel
01-22-2017, 10:56 PM
Trade it for Romo and at least he is hungry and has some fire lol.
Joke post of the day.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-22-2017, 11:00 PM
Joke post of the day. Honestly wouldn't have faith in either and dont!

Born2Steel
01-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Christian McCaffrey.

DesertSteel
01-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Honestly wouldn't have faith in either and dont!
Either way, Ben is 2 for 3 in Super Bowls and Romo is 0 for 0.

Psycho Ward 86
01-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Njoku is amazing.
Howard is the better blocker.
McCaffrey is a weapon.

As much as I want a pass rusher, the depth indicates that there will be a very good OLB avalaibke at 62. So, give me one of those three offensive players at 30.

how would you feel if we went OLB twice (with good value for both) in the first two rounds?

- - - Updated - - -

Christian McCaffrey.

What do you suspect he would play for us?

teegre
01-23-2017, 04:04 PM
how would you feel if we went OLB twice (with good value for both) in the first two rounds?

Good question.

The immediate reaction would be: we already have Dupree; why would we need three OLBs!!??!!

But, after a few moments of thought, I remember that the NYGiants of 2007-2011 had like six DEs. Everyone was like "Why do they keep acquiring DEs!?!" Well, using a rotation kept their DEs fresh, and thus, they were able to apply pressure on every single play.

Likewise, Dupree and OLB-R1 would start, and then OLB-R2 would play every third series... like Woodley did as a rookie. It would allow all three to go full-tilt on every snap that they were on the field.

That said, I think it would be better to acquire another pass-catcher for BB. The red-zone efficiency (lack thereof) screams TIGHT END. (Damn, I miss Heath Miller.)

Terrapinstation
01-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Get the best WR possible, even if it means trading up. I've had more than enough of Brown's act. Bryant is one toke away from his career being over. Wheaton and Coates suck.

Mojouw
01-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Best hopes for improving the team are already on the roster. Very rarely do rookies come in and put a roster over the top. If the goal is a SB in 2017 or Bust, then Steelers need to pin their hopes on:

1. Bryant coming back and staying sober
2. Wheaton or Coates getting healthy and remembering how to catch.
3. James and Rogers figuring it out.
4. Green's head getting better (Actually come to think of it - rookie TE is likely an area of the largest impact as long as they don't have to block!)
5. Dupree taking the leap to dominant edge rusher.
6. Free agent impact signing on defense - even if it is a rotational player.

Do I think that drafting impact rookies is important? Of Course! But there is no rookie pass rusher who is going to come in and cement a SB roster year 1. Year 2 or 3 - maybe.

pczach
01-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Best hopes for improving the team are already on the roster. Very rarely do rookies come in and put a roster over the top. If the goal is a SB in 2017 or Bust, then Steelers need to pin their hopes on:

4. Green's head getting better (Actually come to think of it - rookie TE is likely an area of the largest impact as long as they don't have to block!)

Do I think that drafting impact rookies is important? Of Course! But there is no rookie pass rusher who is going to come in and cement a SB roster year 1. Year 2 or 3 - maybe.

How about I add one:

7: Golson returning and actually providing another versatile, quick-twitch athlete at corner that can play press man and a ball hawk that can close and get his hands on the ball in zone or off coverage as well. If he somehow ever stays healthy, adds the type of athlete they need in the secondary if they want to matchup with some of the teams that give them trouble and offer a younger, faster upgrade to Gay in the slot.

Mojouw
01-23-2017, 05:17 PM
How about I add one:

7: Golson returning and actually providing another versatile, quick-twitch athlete at corner that can play press man and a ball hawk that can close and get his hands on the ball in zone or off coverage as well. If he somehow ever stays healthy, adds the type of athlete they need in the secondary if they want to matchup with some of the teams that give them trouble and offer a younger, faster upgrade to Gay in the slot.

That too! I forgot about him.

I also hope Gilbert can show some of the promise and athletic ability that got him drafted in the top 10 not that long ago. That would be another freak athlete in the secondary.

pczach
01-23-2017, 05:26 PM
That too! I forgot about him.

I also hope Gilbert can show some of the promise and athletic ability that got him drafted in the top 10 not that long ago. That would be another freak athlete in the secondary.

Exactly!

You're spot on about the biggest improvement coming from within or already being on the roster.

Imagine the team that made the AFC championship game with Bryant, Heyward, Golson, maybe Gilbert, and all the young studs a year wiser and playing faster ready to kick ass.

I don't want to be too pessimistic about one game.....as bad as it was. This team did some great things this year and have many young players that are going to continue to blossom.

86WARD
01-23-2017, 05:34 PM

Very good post...but...you forgot one thing, that I mentioned earlier that a whole lot of people are over looking. Cam Heyward will be back as well...that's going to do a lot for the pass rush.

tube517
01-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Just saw this and noticed the last name signed (Karlos Williams):

http://nfltraderumors.co/steelers-sign-11-players-futures-deals/

So his suspension was lifted:

http://nfltraderumors.co/steelers-rb-karlos-williams-suspension-lifted-signs-futures-deal-pit/

Why was his suspension lifted? I thought it was 10 games and would carry over into next season. :noidea:

Mojouw
01-23-2017, 05:55 PM
More of the NFL's BS would be my guess. Maybe Williams "positive" was about as legit as Bell's?

Buckinnuts
01-23-2017, 06:13 PM
cb or qb davis webb ..let landry go..mettenberger or webb as back ups start prepping for bens successor

teegre
01-23-2017, 06:16 PM
Best hopes for improving the team are already on the roster. Very rarely do rookies come in and put a roster over the top.

I get your point.

That said, three counterpoints: Artie Burns, Sean Davis, and Javon Hargrave.

If we can get a guy like Wooldey (who was a sensational third OLB as a rookie), then it would indeed make a difference on defense. More importantly, as you said, the position where we might see the most difference is TE. Going from the Outlaw to Njoku/Howard could be the same difference as in 2005, when we went from Jerame Tuman to Heeeath!!!

Again, I get your point. The development of the second, third, & fourth year players (Burns, Davis, Hargrave, Dupree, Shazier, Tuitt) will be the reason that the defense will become very good... much like how Vic Beasley went from being okay to leading the league in sacks, and in turn, the Falcons defense improved vastly. But, their rookies (Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, & De'Vondre Campbell) also helped that defense improve.

Iron Steeler
01-23-2017, 06:41 PM
As much as i am a proponent for beefing up or secondary. I trusr getting CB and S help through free agency. Get a guy who is proven to shut down WRs at the highest level before taking a chance on a kid in college who was just the fastest guy om the field

Born2Steel
01-23-2017, 07:00 PM

- - - Updated - - -

What do you suspect he would play for us?

McCaffrey would play at RB/WR/KR/PR. SLASH 2.0, but an actual football player this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Other areas to look at of course....Safety, TE, RB, ILB, OLB, NT, plus as always QB. OLine is looking better than ever. DLine is looking stout too, could use a true NT, IMO. We have good corners, need quaity depth and another safety. LBs, LBs, and more LBs. Another RB to spell Bell that is actually a closer 2nd to Bell than is currently on our roster. TE = duh.

86WARD
01-23-2017, 07:02 PM
As much as i am a proponent for beefing up or secondary. I trusr getting CB and S help through free agency. Get a guy who is proven to shut down WRs at the highest level before taking a chance on a kid in college who was just the fastest guy om the field

You could've had Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders in their prime, best games of their career and they wouldn't have shut down that offense last night. You could even throw Darrell Green or Darrell Revis in there and still wouldn't be able to shut them down. Brady had one wide open WR on every play.

Born2Steel
01-23-2017, 07:07 PM
I get your point.

That said, three counterpoints: Artie Burns, Sean Davis, and Javon Hargrave.

If we can get a guy like Wooldey (who was a sensational third OLB as a rookie), then it would indeed make a difference on defense. More importantly, as you said, the position where we might see the most difference is TE. Going from the Outlaw to Njoku/Howard could be the same difference as in 2005, when we went from Jerame Tuman to Heeeath!!!

Again, I get your point. The development of the second, third, & fourth year players (Burns, Davis, Hargrave, Dupree, Shazier, Tuitt) will be the reason that the defense will become very good... much like how Vic Beasley went from being okay to leading the league in sacks, and in turn, the Falcons defense improved vastly. But, their rookies (Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, & De'Vondre Campbell) also helped that defense improve.

Another counterpoint would be Dak and Zeke. If we could draft a 2 punch to go with our 1 punch, Bell, that puts AB and company in more one on one situations. That's why I'm thinking spend an extra draft pick and move up to get McCaffrey. If need to.

Psycho Ward 86
01-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Another question: Are Njoku and OJ Howard the only tight ends worthy of a 1st round selection?

Craic
01-23-2017, 09:28 PM
None.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Trade the first round pick for a first round pick in 2018, maybe 19. Stockpile for Ben's replacement. Otherwise, it's going to be a long ​time before we see another AFCCG.

Shoes
01-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Another question: Are Njoku and OJ Howard the only tight ends worthy of a 1st round selection?

I think Butt would have been in the mix if he didn't tear his ACL. I would hold off until R2 or R3 and take Hodges or Butt depending on the condition of his knee.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/bucky-hodges?id=2558011

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jake-butt?id=2557859

st33lersguy
01-23-2017, 10:37 PM
I would first and foremost like to see the Steelers get an OLB in the first round. Not just to help defeat Brady but an additional stud pass rusher on this team could really make this defense dominant. I also think the Steelers need someone else who can cover man-man along with Artie, I am so over the whole sit back and tackle the catch shit. Additionally, an upgrade over Mike Mitchell and a true free safety with deep range cover skills.

86WARD
01-24-2017, 05:22 AM
These guys need to start the search for a replacement for Harrison, Moats and Jarvis Jones.

Buckinnuts
01-24-2017, 06:40 AM
is it true we have almost $42 million cap space?..some i am sure will be used with bell brown and timmons..what about going after like eric berry or gilmore

86WARD
01-24-2017, 08:31 AM
Melvin Ingram may be a nice guy to go after in Free Agency. Not against Jones or Perry...probably more affordable than Ingram.

If the team could sign Ingram and a Gilmore type, Trumaine Johnson type, they could be in really good shape. Let Timmons go, draft an ILB to develop. Keep Brown, Bell, Cockrell. They could be in really nice shape. Do they have enough money for that? I have no idea but if the number is in that $42M area, there could be...

The Giants went after Jenkins last season and it worked out very well for them so Gilmore wouldn't be a terrible thing to pay for.

But as far as draft goes, Timmons is out, Williams is in and an ILB drafted as a replacement to eventually go with Shazier.

teegre
01-24-2017, 09:32 AM
I am seeing a lot of mock drafts giving us Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA.

IMO, once teams watch tape of the kid (UCLA sucked; so he barely got any recognition), he will move way up the draft boards to around 11-15ish. The kid is a track star, which fits Colbert's recent formula (freak athlete). If he somehow were there at 30, he'd absolutely be a great pick.

Then, in R2, they could add a pass-catcher with either of these TEs: Jake Butt or Bucky Hodges. (A new Killer B.)

Now... if McCaffrey is there at 30, would I still take McKinley? Hmmm... good question.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 10:50 AM
If it's true that Roethlisberger is retiring, Romo for a first round pick,would you do that?

Born2Steel
01-24-2017, 10:54 AM
If it's true that Roethlisberger is retiring, Romo for a first round pick,would you do that?
No I would not. Romo is damaged goods, and maybe one more good hit from being retired himself. I wasn't willing to take a chance on Manning either though, and he still had 2 SBs in him apparently. I'm thinking it will be either the Landry Jones show, or the Zach Mettenberger show after Ben retires.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Jimmy Garoppolo?!

Iron Steeler
01-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Jimmy Garoppolo?!

Not enough resume

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Melvin Ingram may be a nice guy to go after in Free Agency. Not against Jones or Perry...probably more affordable than Ingram.

If the team could sign Ingram and a Gilmore type, Trumaine Johnson type, they could be in really good shape. Let Timmons go, draft an ILB to develop. Keep Brown, Bell, Cockrell. They could be in really nice shape. Do they have enough money for that? I have no idea but if the number is in that $42M area, there could be...

The Giants went after Jenkins last season and it worked out very well for them so Gilmore wouldn't be a terrible thing to pay for.

But as far as draft goes, Timmons is out, Williams is in and an ILB drafted as a replacement to eventually go with Shazier.

Looks like its closer to $29.5 million in cap space: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/steelers-2017-salary-cap-offseason-business-outlook/

Still a lot. I agree with you. A Melvin Ingram or Chandler Jones type is what we need. We can stand to draft well but also make some moves in free agency when necessary. Look at the Broncos and how much grabbing Demarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, and TJ Ward changed them

st33lersguy
01-24-2017, 12:19 PM

No I wouldn't. Romo is 2 years older than Ben and can't even go 2 games without injuring himself

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2017, 12:26 PM

high picks for super old players are always a waste of time (except rare circumstances like peyton manning to the broncos). kind of reminds me of when jason taylor got traded to the redskins for 2nd round pick and he was pretty done at that point.

the irony of the peyton manning trade is that they didnt even win a superbowl with him until he really sucked balls

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 12:29 PM
high picks for super old players are always a waste of time (except rare circumstances like peyton manning to the broncos). kind of reminds me of when jason taylor got traded to the redskins for 2nd round pick and he was pretty done at that point.

the irony of the peyton manning trade is that they didnt even win a superbowl with him until he really sucked balls

Good point, but in the case of Peyton Manning, he was released by the colts, he signed as a free agent with the Broncos.

Steeldude
01-24-2017, 02:01 PM
I am on the OJ Howard train early. TE from Alabama.

He isn't worth the first pick. Maybe in the 2nd or later. OLB is the most pressing need.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2061190/oj-howard

WEAKNESSES: While undeniably gifted, Howard remains far from a finished product. At this time, he is far too reliant on his size and athleticism as a route-runner, showing limited shoulder fakes and altered gaits to keep defenders guessing. Howard is not the bulldozer with the ball in his hands that his size would suggest and this lack of ideal physicality is also evident in his blocking, where he remains more pesky than powerful or passionate

LLT
01-24-2017, 02:36 PM
I would go with OLB Takkarist McKinley in the first with the foresight of rotating him with Harrison this next year. I would look seriously at a TE in the 2nd...and would look for our ILB in free agency. There are several good FA ILB prospects that are still fairly young and would be an upgrade over Timmons in coverage.

That being said...I have always been a fan of Jimmy Garoppolo and would consider him a legitimate replacement for Ben when he hangs up his cleats. I would be hard pressed to not trade a first round pick for him if he was still tradebait at the end of the first round.

DesertSteel
01-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Trade down for a high 2nd and an early 4th. Take a QB with the extra 4th.

Born2Steel
01-24-2017, 04:38 PM
A lot of a QBs success comes from the system they play in. I would rather get a vet FA to play as backup and give Mettenberger another season of learning our system. Jones may not be as bad as he plays here. He may flourish elsewhere, he just doesn't seem to get it here. If we do draft a QB, who would you get and what are the qualities you're drafting him for?

I am looking at McCaffrey in the first. If he's not available, next BPA on the board.

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2017, 05:07 PM
I would go with OLB Takkarist McKinley in the first with the foresight of rotating him with Harrison this next year. I would look seriously at a TE in the 2nd...and would look for our ILB in free agency. There are several good FA ILB prospects that are still fairly young and would be an upgrade over Timmons in coverage.

That being said...I have always been a fan of Jimmy Garoppolo and would consider him a legitimate replacement for Ben when he hangs up his cleats. I would be hard pressed to not trade a first round pick for him if he was still tradebait at the end of the first round.

Some possible ILB replacements:

Zach Brown from the Bills (Age 27)
Donta Hightower from the Patriots (Age 26)
Kevin Minter from the Cardinals (Age 26)

I think those are the only good suitors. Guys like Rolando McClain are simply too much risk vs. reward. Zach Brown just blew up last season and made the pro bowl so he might come expensive but he's so good that he could really take our defense to the next level.

BlackAndGold
01-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Many expect Timmons will be brought back.

Everyone can pretty forget about McKinley. After the combine he'll probably be a top 10 pick. Could run a 4.4 forty.

RunNGun
01-24-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm going to start pimping Luke Falk from Washington State. If he's there at pick 30, then we get a steal. I've been watching film on the top college QBs of this class and he is who stood out to me. Very accurate and has great feet and mobility. Doesn't have the strongest arm, but he would benefit greatly sitting a year behind Ben, while getting stronger and honing his skills. I really think he has the highest ceiling of all the QBs in this class.

RunNGun
01-24-2017, 05:57 PM
A lot of a QBs success comes from the system they play in. I would rather get a vet FA to play as backup and give Mettenberger another season of learning our system. Jones may not be as bad as he plays here. He may flourish elsewhere, he just doesn't seem to get it here. If we do draft a QB, who would you get and what are the qualities you're drafting him for?

I am looking at McCaffrey in the first. If he's not available, next BPA on the board.

The qualities I want in QB are pretty simple. A smart guy who's accurate with the football and makes good decisions. I believe Falk fits the bill. He has great pocket presence and a nice high release. His release reminds me a lot of Tom Brady's. I'm definitely not saying he's the next Brady but their throwing motion is similar. He needs to work on his armstrength, but all the tools are there.

teegre
01-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Everyone can pretty forget about McKinley. After the combine he'll probably be a top 10 pick. Could run a 4.4 forty.

Yep.

Plus, once they see his game tapes, scouts will know that his freakish measureables do indeed translate into production.

Dwinsgames
01-24-2017, 06:16 PM

Hell no , injury plagued , on the older side himself and a known choke artist to top it all off ... I would take him for a 5th and conditional the next year based on playtime and wins

RunNGun
01-24-2017, 06:25 PM
Nevermind about Falk. Was under the impression he was going pro this year, but he's not.

pczach
01-24-2017, 06:32 PM
OMG...are we having a serious discussion about Tony Romo?????

That would be the biggest mistake in the history of mistakes.

polamalubeast
01-24-2017, 06:33 PM
OMG...are we having a serious discussion about Tony Romo?????

That would be the biggest mistake in the history of mistakes.

I am sorry....It was an overreaction on my part after the news of Roethlisberger!

86WARD
01-24-2017, 06:35 PM

I don't mind Timmons coming back but not for more than $8M or so...

Shoes
01-24-2017, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't touch Garoppolo or Romo. Cheatin Bill would want an arm & leg for him (Garopp) and somebody will give it to him. I think Bill has some college kid in sight to take Brady's place and thats where we should be looking. A franchise QB has to have all the tools and be extremely competitive.... Garoppolo & Romo are not that, nor are they able to take many hits. There is a reason Belichick is willing to dump him. I think Ben will be back, I'm not sure if the 2018 draft has a better QB class than 2017, but if it does thats where I would look for Ben's replacement.

pczach
01-24-2017, 07:38 PM
I am sorry....It was an overreaction on my part after the news of Roethlisberger!

Get ahold of yourself man!!!!:panic:

Iron Steeler
01-24-2017, 07:40 PM
If Ben can give us 3 more years we could draft a qb now and start grooming him

Shoes
01-24-2017, 07:43 PM
If Ben can give us 3 more years we could draft a qb now and start grooming him

It's slim pickings this year, if Ben can go 3 more years I'd wait for next years draft.

Terrapinstation
01-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Pretty weird how most people seem to think we're 'stacked'.

Ben may retire, and we have absolutely nothing behind him. Even if he doesn't leave this year, he may have another 3 tops.

Bell will be franchised, but he's also one toke away from a year suspension. Even if he stays clean next year (and healthy), are we actually going to give him his big deal after next year? Deangelo is old as dirt and also probably leaves via FA this year.

AB. Is his production worth his baggage? I don't know. If Ben had to 'cheer him up' after their first TD Sunday, it pretty much says all you need to know about his committment to the team and winning. You don't win championships with guys like that.
Bryant. One toke away from being Josh Gordon.
Wheaton/Coates/the rest of them. Maybe one of them can be a decent 4 or 5.

Ladarius. Any trust him staying healthy?

And that's just on offense, where we should be 'set'. Granted, those are worst case scenarios, but I could easily see one of Bell or Bryant getting popped again, and Green being hurt all year.

Anyway, I still say WR, OLB, TE in probably that order.

Rara
01-24-2017, 08:40 PM
I am seeing a lot of mock drafts giving us Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA.

IMO, once teams watch tape of the kid (UCLA sucked; so he barely got any recognition), he will move way up the draft boards to around 11-15ish. The kid is a track star, which fits Colbert's recent formula (freak athlete). If he somehow were there at 30, he'd absolutely be a great pick.

Then, in R2, they could add a pass-catcher with either of these TEs: Jake Butt or Bucky Hodges. (A new Killer B.)

Now... if McCaffrey is there at 30, would I still take McKinley? Hmmm... good question.

McKinley is Von Miller lite, I want McKinley..which is why he's my first round pick in my WAY TOO early mock draft.

And yeah, let Timmons go and sign Ingram..I actually do like that!

teegre
01-24-2017, 08:40 PM

Ben may retire, and we have absolutely nothing behind him. Even if he doesn't leave this year, he may have another 3 tops.

Bell will be franchised, but he's also one toke away from a year suspension. Even if he stays clean next year (and healthy), are we actually going to give him his big deal after next year? Deangelo is old as dirt and also probably leaves via FA this year.

AB. Is his production worth his baggage? I don't know. If Ben had to 'cheer him up' after their first TD Sunday, it pretty much says all you need to know about his committment to the team and winning. You don't win championships with guys like that.

And that's just on offense, where we should be 'set'. Granted, those are worst case scenarios, but I could easily see one of Bell or Bryant getting popped again, and Green being hurt all year.

Spot on.

Likewise, if Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Bud Dupree, Ryan Shazier, Sean Davis, and Artie Burns all spontaneously combust, the defense is screwed.

Rara
01-24-2017, 08:44 PM

It's funny reading this thread...I basically mirrored this whole post in the 2017 draft thread..and this is the first time I read it!

Anyways..Basically..if Roethlisberger retires, that's #1 priority in the draft. If Roethlisberger returns, but Brown is gone..tagging Bell, wide receiver should be #1 priority...same things goes for Ladarius Green going and the others (Ben, Bell and Brown) all stay..Tight end should be #1 priority in free agency or the draft.

The reason why I say (as of right now) Right Outside Linebacker is our top need is because we need a linebacker to be groom for Harrison's last year or two before he retires.

SteelMayhem72
01-24-2017, 08:52 PM

Timmons played well this season...ive always loved his play and would bring him back. Doesnt mean we shouldnt draft his replacement though

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SteelMayhem72
01-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Just say NO TO ROMO!!!

teegre
01-24-2017, 08:56 PM
It's funny reading this thread...I basically mirrored this whole post in the 2017 draft thread..and this is the first time I read it!

Anyways..Basically..if Roethlisberger retires, that's #1 priority in the draft. If Roethlisberger returns, but Brown is gone..tagging Bell, wide receiver should be #1 priority...same things goes for Ladarius Green going and the others (Ben, Bell and Brown) all stay..Tight end should be #1 priority in free agency or the draft.

The reason why I say (as of right now) Right Outside Linebacker is our top need is because we need a linebacker to be groom for Harrison's last year or two before he retires.

Your post was/is way better.

Yours was full of analysis & insight... and the tone of your post was "How do we best improve this team?"

st33lersguy
01-24-2017, 08:57 PM
Why would brown be gone? He still has another year left on his deal. Plus I would definitely want him to stay around. He is still one of the hardest workers and most productive players. His "baggage" isn't even on the level of obj. Getting rid of him would be insane,

SteelMayhem72
01-24-2017, 08:58 PM
im already hearing rumblings on some talk radio that brown could be traded for a 1st, maybe also 2nd round pick...interesting

st33lersguy
01-24-2017, 09:07 PM
im already hearing rumblings on some talk radio that brown could be traded for a 1st, maybe also 2nd round pick...interesting

Stupid, hope it's not true, why trade away a receiver who has provided record-setting production and a high work ethic over a Facebook video and one instance of moping after a steeler td

pczach
01-24-2017, 09:19 PM

We've heard of a few thing with AB now. From the Tomlin press conference when he addressed AB's live locker room video, I think it's obvious that there is much more going on than we know, and that there are other problems with him.

This has been building for two years now. He keeps getting more and more into himself and alienating teammates and coaches. The organization even figured out a way to get him more money without redoing his contract by fronting him some money. They've been trying to work with AB, but this appears to be getting closer to a runaway boulder rolling down a hill. There doesn't appear to be anything to make him happy anymore, and he seems to have little regard for anything that doesn't revolve around him and his quest to be the highest paid WR in the NFL and to be a social media megastar.

It seems that AB is more interested in building his brand than he is in helping the team win. He wants to score touchdowns, but only if he gets the touchdowns. That attitude is not conducive to winning and is poison in a locker room.

I hope what we're hearing is overblown and that he is here long term, but I'm starting to have my doubts.

teegre
01-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Since we are going all Lone Star ( :lol: ) about AB...

My bro-in-law texted me this morning. He said that he heard from his friend who has a friend who knows a guy's former roommate... "BB will retire if AB comes back."

I was like "No & no."

Then... a few hours later, I heard the BB retirement thing. Hmmm... I still say "No & no", but it did make me wonder for half a second.

SteelMayhem72
01-24-2017, 09:29 PM
we will surely know come draft time what will be done with AB i think

SteelMayhem72
01-24-2017, 09:30 PM
Stupid, hope it's not true, why trade away a receiver who has provided record-setting production and a high work ethic over a Facebook video and one instance of moping after a steeler td
i think there is a little more to it than that imho

salamander
01-24-2017, 10:41 PM
We've heard of a few thing with AB now. From the Tomlin press conference when he addressed AB's live locker room video, I think it's obvious that there is much more going on than we know, and that there are other problems with him.

This has been building for two years now. He keeps getting more and more into himself and alienating teammates and coaches. The organization even figured out a way to get him more money without redoing his contract by fronting him some money. They've been trying to work with AB, but this appears to be getting closer to a runaway boulder rolling down a hill. There doesn't appear to be anything to make him happy anymore, and he seems to have little regard for anything that doesn't revolve around him and his quest to be the highest paid WR in the NFL and to be a social media megastar.

It seems that AB is more interested in building his brand than he is in helping the team win. He wants to score touchdowns, but only if he gets the touchdowns. That attitude is not conducive to winning and is poison in a locker room.

I hope what we're hearing is overblown and that he is here long term, but I'm starting to have my doubts.

I hate to say it, but you're absolutely right. I love AB as a player, but he's definitely becoming a typical diva WR.

I'll add this too - If keeping Ben around meant having to trade away AB, I'm taking the franchise QB any day of the week.

teegre
01-24-2017, 10:59 PM
Since it's the off-season... why not run with this. :chuckle:

Let's pretend the rumors are true. What is the least that you would be willing to take for AB? To which teams would you trade/not trade him?

Hypothetically speaking, I say that we trade him to Cleveland for the #1 overall. Myles Garrett solves ALL of our pass-rushing woes.

salamander
01-24-2017, 11:07 PM

Let's pretend the rumors are true. What is the least that you would be willing to take for AB? To which teams would you trade/not trade him?

Hypothetically speaking, I say that we trade him to Cleveland for the #1 overall. Myles Garrett solves ALL of our pass-rushing woes.

I don't think the Steelers would know how to handle a 1st overall pick. :chuckle:

Shoes
01-24-2017, 11:13 PM

Cleveland? AB would retire. :chuckle:

Terrapinstation
01-25-2017, 05:22 AM
I'm starting to really dislike AB. I won't go so far as to say he's a cancer, but he may be getting there.

But I'm typically always against trading good players for draft picks or prospects (in any sport). If we trade AB, even for a 1st rounder, we absolutely have to draft a WR with one of our first 3 picks (God knows we aren't going to bring in a free agent). At best, we can hope that player will develop into what AB is in 2-3 years. That leaves Cheech Bryant as our #1, and Coates as #2. Ugh.

Now, if we could get a top 10 pick, and bring in a legit FA WR (no idea who's out there), I'd definitely listen.

pczach
01-25-2017, 06:09 AM

Let's get Cleveland's two top picks.

Garrett and WR Mike Williams from Clemson.......Done!

teegre
01-25-2017, 06:19 AM
I don't think the Steelers would know how to handle a 1st overall pick. :chuckle:

A punter.

Obviously.

teegre
01-25-2017, 06:28 AM
Cleveland? AB would retire. :chuckle:

My first thought was: "It has to be an NFC team."

But then, I remembered: "Cleveland!!!... where careers go to die!!!" :lol:

salamander
01-25-2017, 06:54 AM
A punter.

Obviously.

But Punters have feelings too!

86WARD
01-25-2017, 08:56 AM
Trade AB? Lol. Okay. Let's trade Ben for Nnamdi Asomugha while we are at it. I hate the off season...

polamalubeast
01-25-2017, 09:00 AM
I am sick and tired of the drama that the steelers have almost every year!

It's going to be a very long off-season!

teegre
01-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Trade AB? Lol. Okay. Let's trade Ben for Nnamdi Asomugha while we are at it. I hate the off season...

I know, huh.

I swear that Danny Smith starts these rumors, so that we overlook special teams. :lol:

BlackAndGold
01-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Ben will be back, AB will get a new contract.

And I highly doubt you'd net a top 10 pick for AB.

1. he'll need a new contract. 2. he likes his stats, plus wins. Won't be getting those from a top 10 team, so that'll be a problem with the teams ability to re-sign him long term.

polamalubeast
01-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Roethlisberger will retire if the steelers trade Antonio Brown......

SteelMayhem72
01-25-2017, 10:14 AM
Roethlisberger will retire if the steelers trade Antonio Brown......

smoke and mirrors...nothing will surprise me at this point

polamalubeast
01-25-2017, 10:18 AM
smoke and mirrors...nothing will surprise me at this point

It would be stupid unless the steelers have at least a top 10 pick overall pick for Brown.

st33lersguy
01-25-2017, 10:44 AM
One loss to the patriots and people start losing their minds. "Fire everybody, trade everybody, start all over again"

polamalubeast
01-25-2017, 10:48 AM
One loss to the patriots and people start losing their minds. "Fire everybody, trade everybody, start all over again"

This is not only the fans, but also the medias!

Of course,the Roethlisberger's retirement rumors not help and many are in panic because of it!

86WARD
01-25-2017, 11:26 AM
I know, huh.

I swear that Danny Smith starts these rumors, so that we overlook special teams. :lol:

You brought Danny Smith into this because you hate me...I know it...lol

st33lersguy
01-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Apparently mike florio is whipping up AB trade talk which pretty much invalidates the story

Method28
01-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Apparently mike florio is whipping up AB trade talk which pretty much invalidates the story
Just for fun.....what would it take to pry Brown away and for you to be ok with it?

For me, id want a ransom. Give me two firsts and two seconds or two firsts a d a 2nd and 3rd

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

teegre
01-25-2017, 02:20 PM
You brought Danny Smith into this because you hate me...I know it...lol

Guilty as charged.

I thought of posting that earlier, but I waited (no kidding) until I could reply to a post made by you. :lol:

Dwinsgames
01-25-2017, 03:21 PM

I will play along ...

1st rule of any talks would be must be an NFC team ...

I would have to have a pick better than top 20 in this years draft and a second rounder this year and next ...

if someone would pony up a top 10 pick I would drop this years 2nd rounder to a 4th and would still want a pick next year no lower than a 3rd

that is a deal I would take

Born2Steel
01-25-2017, 03:26 PM
No deal. Without AB, we would currently have a WR corps of Coates, Wheaton(if resigned), DHB, Rogers, Ayers, and Hamilton. TEs would include James, Grimble, and MAYBE Green. Talk about running the wheels off Bell. We would basically have zero threat in the passing game. Or at best, unknown threat. No deal would offset that.

polamalubeast
01-25-2017, 03:28 PM
No deal. Without AB, we would currently have a WR corps of Coates, Wheaton(if resigned), DHB, Rogers, Ayers, and Hamilton. TEs would include James, Grimble, and MAYBE Green. Talk about running the wheels off Bell. We would basically have zero threat in the passing game. Or at best, unknown threat. No deal would offset that.

And maybe Bryant but I agree with you.....No deal

Born2Steel
01-25-2017, 03:29 PM
And maybe Bryant but I agree with you.....No deal

First Bryant has to get reinstated. I'm thinking he will, but again, unknown.

polamalubeast
01-25-2017, 03:37 PM
I hope it will not be another trade like Santonio Holmes.......

Dwinsgames
01-25-2017, 03:41 PM

in fairness more like a loss 85% of the times we have played them under Tomlin ( look it up ) didnt fair much if any better under Cowher if memory serves ...

the 1 common denominator in all that is defensive scheme being zone oriented and not adapting less the Halloween game in what 2011 or something ??

86WARD
01-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Guilty as charged.

I thought of posting that earlier, but I waited (no kidding) until I could reply to a post made by you. :lol:

You son of a b----. Lol.

Dwinsgames
01-25-2017, 04:17 PM
instead of starting a completely different thread will toss this in here http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18553565/antonio-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-back-facebook-quiet-noise

teegre
01-25-2017, 07:32 PM
You son of a b----. Lol.

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/3b4d23f4-783c-4f2a-ad08-a7c6cb839d28

:lol: