PDA

View Full Version : Rate this season.

Edman
01-22-2017, 07:53 PM
We hit the wall, folks.

We can't beat New England. Period. We just can't. We keep making it so easy for them. We play right into their hands. Each and every single time.

Brady beats the Zone Defense? Let's drop eight and play zone defense all game. It's not working? Keep doing it anyway.

Can't finish drives or convert in the Red Zone. Again.

Bell gets hurt.

AB disappears. He'll get a lions share of the blame for this shitfest. Good luck living this down, Clown.

Ben with yet another decent but unimpressive road performance.

New England didn't have to go through you, Tomlin? Well they just did. Sit down, Cheerleader.

So with all of the crap out of the way. Where do we go from here for 2017 and beyond?

faninyork
01-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Hate to say it but we won't change a thing. Same story next year....if we're lucky.

GBMelBlount
01-22-2017, 08:25 PM
11-5

AFC Championship game.

Young and inexperienced players that is quickly improving.

Only 4 of 32 teams made it this far.

9 (A-).

DesertSteel
01-22-2017, 08:27 PM
A-

Start 4-5 and make it to the AFCC. I'll take it.

st33lersguy
01-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Overall, this season is a success, young team, started 4-5, still a solid coaching effort

teegre
01-22-2017, 08:42 PM
F

If you aren't first, you're last.
--Reese Bobby

SteelerCountry58
01-22-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm furious with this last pathetic game but this season was a B for me considering the slow start.

Iron Steeler
01-22-2017, 08:47 PM
F

If you aren't first, you're last.
--Reese Bobby

I was hoping we could capture a SB with this extremely young defense. And start a dynasty like the 70s.

I would give it an A on offense
I would give a C on Defense
Avgeraging out at B-

EzraTank
01-22-2017, 08:48 PM
You can't lay eggs against Philly, Miami and Baltimore. That horrible stretch was the difference between the Patriots embarrassing us in Pittsburgh instead of New England.

Just too disappointed right now to comment rationally. Bell's groin better be torn off the bone to puss out like that. Our defense is young but unless we find a pass rush we will NEVER beat elite teams.

WCSteeler
01-22-2017, 08:53 PM
The season was a B. The Steelers made the playoffs, beat a wildcard team with a 2nd string QB, couldn't muster a TD again to the Chiefs and were blown out Packers style at New England, it's clear the Steelers were outcoached (yet again) and that's an irritating trend and just won't go away. The leaded of the team is really showing signs of age and injuries mounting and sadly he won't be getting better. The team lacks leadership, the defense is getting better but offense really stalls in the red zone. It was an up and down season but ended witha familiar lackluster performance.

tube517
01-22-2017, 08:55 PM
I never thought we'd make it this far with a young defense, all the injuries and no deep threat WR for weeks.

At 4-5 did anyone really think we would get to this point?

On the shitty side:
Playing scared in a zone defense that gets you beat time and time again.
And no deep threat WR finally caught up with us. Coates drops one early and Hamllton is 8th string so expecting something out of him was ridiculous.
Grade: B

GoSlash27
01-22-2017, 08:57 PM
I'm ambivalent about it. I set the bar pretty low; make the playoffs and I'm happy. OTOH, we could've taken it to the big show. We left too many points on the field.
Such is life in the NFL (Tomlinism). We will come back better next year.

lipps83
01-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Overall, good season despite the end result. Further than I thought they would get when it was mid october.

F though because not a damn thing will change next season. Haley will still be dumb in the redzone, and Butler.....unfortunately Tomlin would be fired before Butler.

Butler I think has a job for life. Class A idiot this guy is.

Lambert_Loonie
01-22-2017, 09:04 PM
B-. The offense underachieved considering the pieces they have, and as much as everyone hates Keith Butler right now, the defense overachieved.

The fact that the Steelers made it this far just shows how trash the AFC really is.

steelreserve
01-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Second place is the first loser.

F.

AtlantaDan
01-22-2017, 09:10 PM
B+

The Bryant suspension for the season and Bell for the first three games knocked down any expectations the Steelers would have an offense for the ages (the Falcons got that)

We all know the secondary needed a rebuild and Burns & Davis exceeded my expectations. Along with Hargrave the draft was a success, and this now is a fast defense.

They lost to the Pats in the AFC championship but are still a top tier team but not elite. Going into next season I slot them below the Pats (duh) and the Raiders in the AFC.

Ben needs to stay healthy - he was not 2014 Ben this season and may have about 2 years left as prime Ben

Lambert_Loonie
01-22-2017, 09:11 PM
I'm ambivalent about it. I set the bar pretty low; make the playoffs and I'm happy. OTOH, we could've taken it to the big show. We left too many points on the field.
Such is life in the NFL (Tomlinism). We will come back better next year.

I hope you're right about the next year being better. The only reason I watched the game til the end was because IMO the Steelers ceiling is going to be the Divisional round for a LONG time - at least under Tomlin.

Craic
01-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Grade? Overall, B+ Great second half effort. We were one win short of the SB.

Where do we go from here?

1. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but, fire Butler. We need to bring in another coach who is willing to mix up schemes. Do it NOW while we have a young set of DBs.

2. Offense 1: STOP feeding Brown the ball until he gets injured. Spread the joy.

3. Offense 2: Make a rule starting TONIGHT. If you even smell like you've been around marijuana, we (the Steelers) will trade you to the Tallahassee Warthogs for a used ball bag. We need consistency at the WR position.

4. Offense 3: Take the blinders off. Ben is not the same QB he once was, and we need to start game planning for that on the road. At home, he's still great. But on the road he's average to above average. That has to be taken into consideration next year.

5. Fire the ST coach and spend the money to bring in a very good one. Enough is enough.

6. DO NOT draft out of urgency. This team is still a very good team. In fact, trade away our first round pick for a 2018 1st round pick and get ready to draft the next QB, because we're going to need one in about 2-3 years.

Rotorhead
01-22-2017, 09:14 PM
B+ because we are a young defense, missing key weapons on offense, our best def player out mid season. I am happy with the team this year overall. Will be better next season, which was my pick for our legit SB run.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-22-2017, 09:19 PM
I give it a limp dick early on and a big cock tease at the rest of the season.

Shoes
01-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Grade? Overall, B+ Great second half effort. We were one win short of the SB.

Where do we go from here?

1. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but, fire Butler. We need to bring in another coach who is willing to mix up schemes. Do it NOW while we have a young set of DBs.

2. Offense 1: STOP feeding Brown the ball until he gets injured. Spread the joy.

3. Offense 2: Make a rule starting TONIGHT. If you even smell like you've been around marijuana, we (the Steelers) will trade you to the Tallahassee Warthogs for a used ball bag. We need consistency at the WR position.

4. Offense 3: Take the blinders off. Ben is not the same QB he once was, and we need to start game planning for that on the road. At home, he's still great. But on the road he's average to above average. That has to be taken into consideration next year.

5. Fire the ST coach and spend the money to bring in a very good one. Enough is enough.

6. DO NOT draft out of urgency. This team is still a very good team. In fact, trade away our first round pick for a 2018 1st round pick and get ready to draft the next QB, because we're going to need one in about 2-3 years.

I agree with this. I was all for the Steelers interviewing other coaches for DC. They hung on to Lebeau far too long and probably promised Butler the position. For point #7 I'd get rid of Sammie Stiff Coates, he's going to be the new Antwon Blake.

zulater
01-22-2017, 09:41 PM
If you get an F on the final exam you can't claim you did good on the course. Losing the way we did really makes this season suspect.

Mojouw
01-22-2017, 09:58 PM
B to B+

Several young players developed at an amazing rate. The foundation of the rebuild is now complete. Time to put the finishing touches on it with another pass rusher and another DB.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Horrible Job with the talent this team has! Big D!

- - - Updated - - -

It is what it is and life goes on and hope to see ya all on here around draft time. Was fun Bs with most of ya and take care!

Rotorhead
01-23-2017, 12:29 AM
If you get an F on the final exam you can't claim you did good on the course. Losing the way we did really makes this season suspect.

This Pats game was the same as they all are, wrong def and no adjustment added with crappy luck and plays at the wrong time. We built a very good foundation this year. I believe most all of us thought next year would be our true SB run year. Good exp for our young players so not a bad season overall.

LloydWoodson
01-23-2017, 03:52 AM
8.5/10

Getting back to the AFC Championship felt like overachieving at this point. The only downside was some of the poor calls and execution yesterday.

Any season you can win a playoff game is a good season it means you made a run at the Super Bowl. Well done with a lot of young players.

j-d-s
01-23-2017, 06:18 AM
I was hoping we could capture a SB with this extremely young defense. And start a dynasty like the 70s.

I would give it an A on offense
I would give a C on Defense
Avgeraging out at B-

I think offense is B at best. Why? Because they repeatedly failed to continuosly put up points like an elite offense is supposed to. Look at the Falcons, Saints or Patriots how much points they score every single game. Given our talent we should score like them, but we don't. With this offense we should not score less than 20 points in any game, ever. Maybe except for one traditional Tomlin-style loss to a really bad team.

I could have accepted it if we lost to the Pats by 35-38. Because that is the least we have to expect from our offense if we want to make it to the Super Bowl in the next years.

zulater
01-23-2017, 09:27 AM
I think offense is B at best. Why? Because they repeatedly failed to continuosly put up points like an elite offense is supposed to. Look at the Falcons, Saints or Patriots how much points they score every single game. Given our talent we should score like them, but we don't. With this offense we should not score less than 20 points in any game, ever. Maybe except for one traditional Tomlin-style loss to a really bad team.

I could have accepted it if we lost to the Pats by 35-38. Because that is the least we have to expect from our offense if we want to make it to the Super Bowl in the next years.

I think the numbers bear out that Martavis Bryant jump started this offense to the tune of an extra 7 points a game when he starts and plays the full game. The point being is we were essentially a one receiver team this year. Don't get me wrong Eli Rogers showed he's a keeper, but not so much that he's drawing coverage away from 84 or getting safeties out of the box to aid the running game. Be it Bryant or a free agent or a high draft pick ( even a top tier tight end) we need another receiver that defenses fear to really get this offense going.

86WARD
01-23-2017, 10:38 AM
So to put it into 4 separate Marking periods based on the schedule for the regular season:

First - B
Second - D
Third - B
Fourth - A

Playoffs got progressively worse. A for the Dolphins game, C for the Chiefs and F for the Patriots game.

Born2Steel
01-23-2017, 02:44 PM
On a 1-10 rating scale, with 1 being pathetic and 10 being SB champs, I'll rate this season a solid 8. We learned a lot this season. Suspensions, injuries, rookie mistakes/growing pains, losing to the Ravens, allowing the Browns to score points, hitting mid season with a lowly 4-5 record all led to substantial growth. We were not ready for greatness. Not yet. Maybe a good thing long term? Keep the fire in the belly, the focus, give all those young guns a sampling taste of what true success can be like. Make them want it more next season.

43Hitman
01-23-2017, 03:06 PM
To be fair we did adjust our defense. To a 4-4 stack. However we played zone behind it and put Harrison in coverage more times than not. :doh: I'm all for moving on from this LeBeau light that Butler is running. It's time for a fresh voice with an open mind on being a defense that can morph into what it needs to be, the talent is there. I think we have some nice pieces and a solid foundation on defense, like those above me said, we just need to sprinkle a pass rusher and another fast nickel corner. Gay needs someone that can give him a spell, and I'm not crazy about Golden.

Born2Steel
01-23-2017, 03:17 PM
To be fair we did adjust our defense. To a 4-4 stack. However we played zone behind it and put Harrison in coverage more times than not. :doh: I'm all for moving on from this LeBeau light that Butler is running. It's time for a fresh voice with an open mind on being a defense that can morph into what it needs to be, the talent is there. I think we have some nice pieces and a solid foundation on defense, like those above me said, we just need to sprinkle a pass rusher and another fast nickel corner. Gay needs someone that can give him a spell, and I'm not crazy about Golden.

OK. Who do you want as DC then? Have to come with a plan otherwise it's just change for the sake of change. That's how the Browns do football. A guy with an open mind is a little vague and not a direction. I too think we have a very solid foundation. Some very good young players that are showing promise. Cannot just throw DCs at them and see if one sticks.

DesertSteel
01-23-2017, 03:41 PM
So to put it into 4 separate Marking periods based on the schedule for the regular season:

First - B
Second - D
Third - B
Fourth - A

Playoffs got progressively worse. A for the Dolphins game, C for the Chiefs and F for the Patriots game.

Best post in the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

But to those of you who think Butler is getting fired - Lol. There's a greater chance of them signing him to a long-term extension this offseason. The front office sees things differently than us message board knuckleheads.

teegre
01-23-2017, 03:58 PM
On a scale of Mama June to Jessica Alba, this season is: Angelina Jolie.

Beautiful at times, but also kind of crazy... and, regardless of looks, talent, and/or moxie, falls short of the ultimate goal.

Count Steeler
01-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Best post in the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

But to those of you who think Butler is getting fired - Lol. There's a greater chance of them signing him to a long-term extension this offseason. The front office sees things differently than us message board knuckleheads.

Zone defense aside, being able to play 3 rookies on defense is a HUGE step forward over LeBeau's 3 year apprenticeship bull shit.

43Hitman
01-23-2017, 04:21 PM
OK. Who do you want as DC then? Have to come with a plan otherwise it's just change for the sake of change. That's how the Browns do football. A guy with an open mind is a little vague and not a direction. I too think we have a very solid foundation. Some very good young players that are showing promise. Cannot just throw DCs at them and see if one sticks.I have no idea, I'm not in a position to know that nor am I acting like I do. I'm merely a fan, just like you venting my frustrations. I know I'm tired of seeing this happen to us against that team. Whether its a young team or a team full of playoff experienced vets the outcome is the same. Every time. Except once, when we changed it up. That, apparently, was an accident because we haven't done it since.

86WARD
01-23-2017, 04:40 PM
All in all, I don't think Butler did that bad and while on the topic of assistant coaches, Haley was pretty good for the most part. Tomlin, who, Ive questioned at times handled this season pretty well compared to previous seasons. The part that sticks out most was when he pulled Sean Davis off the field and coached him up...he got a lot of respect from me that game. Not that my respect matters one bit, but I think we all learned a little more about Tomlin that day.

As for special teams, Danny Smith has to go. His units have been terrible. The coverage units started to get better last year but they have been terrible this year and the penalties and lack of returns on kickoffs has been consistently bad for years. He HAS to go...I don't see Tomlin letting him go, but this guy is about 3 years past due.

pczach
01-23-2017, 04:51 PM

Beautiful at times, but also kind of crazy... and, regardless of looks, talent, and/or moxie, falls short of the ultimate goal.

I love me some Jessica Alba!

GBMelBlount
01-23-2017, 07:42 PM

...and a sprinkle of Makemeheryl Streep. :puke:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M9Gmi7m9JCM/S8cHXGgwNTI/AAAAAAAAAP4/N37JV-bWRdE/s1600/Mistake02_Meryl-Streep-Is-A-Satanist.jpg

Born2Steel
01-23-2017, 07:56 PM
I have no idea, I'm not in a position to know that nor am I acting like I do. I'm merely a fan, just like you venting my frustrations. I know I'm tired of seeing this happen to us against that team. Whether its a young team or a team full of playoff experienced vets the outcome is the same. Every time. Except once, when we changed it up. That, apparently, was an accident because we haven't done it since.

I'm honestly looking for direction. I thought we were doing SO much better on defense. Then this lack of game plan fiasco. It's the old reshuffle routine when it comes to NFL coaches it seems. There has to be an answer to the Patsy enigma. Rex Ryan hates the Patriots as much as anybody, if not more. What could he do differently with our talent I wonder. Problem is, he's not impressive vs anybody else. So, who then is the upgrade? Does Jeff Fisher still give a shit at all? He was a defensive guy. Ray Horton is out there.
Don't get me wrong. I give this season a passing grade. I'm currently disappointed, at what I perceive, to be an ongoing issue with this defense. We need to be able to beat 2 teams every year, the Ravens and the Patriots. We continue to do something defensively that they both cue on and exploit each and every game. If we send blitzes, they do this. If we put more into coverage, they do that. We are close. But damn, this is frustrating!

Moose
01-24-2017, 08:52 AM
C - They again lost to teams early on that they should have beaten. We had probably the best offense in the league. There were some games we should have completely dominated and just escaped with a win. Too many games sitting on the end of the seat biting nails. Winning the division was great, but look at the teams in the division, with our offense there shouldn't have been any doubt that the other teams couldn't match up to stop us. The playoffs ( other than Miami) were disappointing and looked like we didn't belong.

teegre
01-24-2017, 09:34 AM
I love me some Jessica Alba!

Me, too... six times :wink02: (and two other times where I passed out before closing the deal).

43Hitman
01-24-2017, 11:23 AM
I'm honestly looking for direction. I thought we were doing SO much better on defense. Then this lack of game plan fiasco. It's the old reshuffle routine when it comes to NFL coaches it seems. There has to be an answer to the Patsy enigma. Rex Ryan hates the Patriots as much as anybody, if not more. What could he do differently with our talent I wonder. Problem is, he's not impressive vs anybody else. So, who then is the upgrade? Does Jeff Fisher still give a shit at all? He was a defensive guy. Ray Horton is out there.
Don't get me wrong. I give this season a passing grade. I'm currently disappointed, at what I perceive, to be an ongoing issue with this defense. We need to be able to beat 2 teams every year, the Ravens and the Patriots. We continue to do something defensively that they both cue on and exploit each and every game. If we send blitzes, they do this. If we put more into coverage, they do that. We are close. But damn, this is frustrating!I'm very frustrated too, and even with a cooler head, I still think we need to change something. Maybe its just philosophy, maybe its a coach or two, I don't know. What I do know is that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insanity. We have some very talented players on this defense and to keep missing these opportunities is just sickening.

Overall I think this was a good year and I would give our regular season performance a B+ rather than an A+ because of the 4 game skid. We get big fat F on our final exam though; which to me taints it. All that hard work down the drain.

tube517
01-24-2017, 11:31 AM

Moose
01-24-2017, 11:56 AM
I hope there are changes....there needs to be changes.....there needs to be accountability !!!

SteelMayhem72
01-25-2017, 11:40 AM
I give this season a C overall...started ok, middle was terrible, 3/4 to the end very good, then this last game against the pats put the rest of the season in perspective so to speak as a measuring stick and we failed. Averages out to a C which is average. There are flashes of greatness but too many valleys with the peaks. Have to take into acct who your playing as a measuring stick and im leaning toward the latter half of the season was good because of who we were playing so not much to measure. The whole league is full of mediocrity and its sad. You kinda of want the tougher schedule to battle test your team especially if you plan to survive the playoffs and go to the superbowl.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SteelMayhem72
01-25-2017, 11:47 AM
The NFL wants a lot of mediocre teams because of the parity narrative and give smaller market team's fan base some hope. This is how the NFL reels fans in especially by making most of the division games back loaded at the end to keep people watching the whole season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ALLD
01-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Too many suspensions. Too many celebrations and divas. The team started better and hit stride midway, but faded toward the end with a giant dumpster fire to close it out.

Team needs a leader that seriously wants to not lose because he hates losing more than he likes winning.

What we got is a group of sports entertainers who forgot to prepare.