PDA

View Full Version : Three "IFs" (Regarding Harrison)

BnG_Hevn
01-21-2017, 09:03 AM
IF ....

1) Steelers beat NE
2) Steelers win SB
3) Harrison plays major role in one or both wins

Does Harrison make the HoF? Or would it at least be a big enough push to have him considered?

It may sound selfish, but I have a signed jersey of his and him in the HoF would be a big plus.

How does he compare to a player like Ray Lewis, all homerisms set aside? Lewis is shoe-in, correct? Harrison has been playing for 14 years, Lewis had what, 16?

With a SB win, Harrison will have 3 SB rings. Lewis with 2. Impact on games, Harrison has been a big factor. Especially in SB win vs Cardinals.

Thoughts?

polamalubeast
01-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Ray Lewis is a all-time great to his position and the problem with Harrison is his longevity.

But if Terrell Davis is at the HOF this year, Harrison deserves at least to be considered.

teegre
01-21-2017, 09:10 AM
I heard Chris Collinsworth talking about this.

As he said, before Harrison's second go 'round, he was probably not a HOFer. But, doing what he's doing (the oldest defender in the NFL) is stuff legends are made of. If he has a couple more splash plays in this post season, it's probably enough to get him into the HOF.

Butch
01-21-2017, 09:51 AM
I really have no idea what makes a hall of famer, when you have people with agendas it's a total crap shoot. IMHO both L.C.Greenwood and Donnie Shell should have been in a very loooong time ago. If James goes in it will be a well deserved honor, but even if he doesn't he will be forever remembered as a Steeler Great. Hopefully the day when idiot writers like Peter King will be over ruled and we will see players who make it in when they deserve to go in.

Sorry I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you want I will be more than happy to hold on to that jersey and will return it to you on the day James is elected to the Hall of Fame. just sayin'

fansince'76
01-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Ray Lewis is a all-time great to his position and the problem with Harrison is his longevity.

I dunno, personally, I'll remember Lewis more for repeatedly whining about having to take on more blockers after they switched to a 3-4 from a 4-3, his tackle numbers being artificially inflated (especially in Baltimore) after jumping on the pile when the play was already over and Dan Kreider knocking him on his butt a time or two.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/75/71/26/75712644238e85daab317ed5e75d1259.jpg

Mojouw
01-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Harrison doesn't get in no matter what from this season. His numbers just aren't good enough. Not enough dominant seasons as the best pass rusher in the league.

lipps83
01-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Would love to see Harrison get in someday, but I think he is probably 2 or 3 seasons short. He didn't become a starter until he was 29. It is amazing what he did when he did it. Most players peak at 29 and then downhill from there. At his peak he was the best in the NFL and kind of came from out of nowhere to the rest of the NFL (although, my first time to REALLY notice him was when he slammed the browns fan).

If only he didn't sit on the bench his first 5 years in the league.

On top of all that, the last couple years he has been a rotational player as well.

It would be great to have this happen, but most likely it never will.

DesertSteel
01-21-2017, 02:29 PM
If all that happens it would increase his odds to 50/50. Right now I'd say it's 25/75.

Mojouw
01-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Ware gets in based on these #'s - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WareDe99.htm

Deebo comes up short in comparison - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJa23.htm

If Harrison gets in then guys like Gildon, Porter, CHad Brown, etc based on overall career numbers have to start getting consideration. Not going to happen.

Butch
01-21-2017, 04:34 PM
I knew who James was when he was cut by us and picked up by Baltimore. I was pissed and loved it when they cut him and we had a need and picked him back up. The play I remember him from was when he intercepted a pass in San Diego and leapt over Tomlinson.

https://vine.co/v/O9YA1h6T7gY

BnG_Hevn
01-21-2017, 06:08 PM
I really have no idea what makes a hall of famer, when you have people with agendas it's a total crap shoot. IMHO both L.C.Greenwood and Donnie Shell should have been in a very loooong time ago. If James goes in it will be a well deserved honor, but even if he doesn't he will be forever remembered as a Steeler Great. Hopefully the day when idiot writers like Peter King will be over ruled and we will see players who make it in when they deserve to go in.

Sorry I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you want I will be more than happy to hold on to that jersey and will return it to you on the day James is elected to the Hall of Fame. just sayin'

I have 5 jerseys that will be framed and walled once we get into a house next year.

1) Harrison
2) Timmons
3) Woodley (I know, but I have the jersey)
4) Farrior
5) Joe Greene

The first four I bought for $400 off a neighbor who won them in a raffle so they are the "cheap" jerseys, but signed nonetheless.

The Green jersey I paid $350 for the jersey and $150 for the signature - that is my crown jewel.

All jerseys are signed.

Butch
01-21-2017, 07:01 PM
I have 5 jerseys that will be framed and walled once we get into a house next year.

1) Harrison
2) Timmons
3) Woodley (I know, but I have the jersey)
4) Farrior
5) Joe Greene

The first four I bought for $400 off a neighbor who won them in a raffle so they are the "cheap" jerseys, but signed nonetheless.

The Green jersey I paid $350 for the jersey and $150 for the signature - that is my crown jewel.

All jerseys are signed.

That is one helluva collection, money well spent. I agree the signed #75 jersey would be the crown jewel of most any collection.

tube517
01-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Ware gets in based on these #'s - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WareDe99.htm

Deebo comes up short in comparison - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrJa23.htm

If Harrison gets in then guys like Gildon, Porter, CHad Brown, etc based on overall career numbers have to start getting consideration. Not going to happen.

Yep, you're correct. Deebo doesn't have the numbers to get in. Still love the guy and he was/is a monster on the field.

Bluecoat96
01-21-2017, 08:02 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/7d52623dd505c51e70757f690df7d9cf.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4xSBChamps
01-21-2017, 09:14 PM
IMHO both L.C.Greenwood and Donnie Shell should have been in a very loooong time ago.

if you could watch Super Bowl IX, play-by-play, it is comical that Greenwood didn't win the MVP of that game

Shell has numbers similar to those of Jack Butler, another Steeler DB who recently made the Hall

tube517
01-21-2017, 10:49 PM
if you could watch Super Bowl IX, play-by-play, it is comical that Greenwood didn't win the MVP of that game

Shell has numbers similar to those of Jack Butler, another Steeler DB who recently made the Hall

http://stillcurtain.com/2013/10/05/pro-football-hof-nfl-cheating-l-c-greenwood-steelers-and-recordbooks/

DesertSteel
01-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Yep, you're correct. Deebo doesn't have the numbers to get in. Still love the guy and he was/is a monster on the field.
Like many great LBs, performance is measured by more than sacks. If he finishes strong with another ring he at least has a shot.

ALLD
01-22-2017, 08:22 AM
One more SB will enable the Steelers' all-time sack leader to enter the HoF someday.

pczach
01-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Like many great LBs, performance is measured by more than sacks. If he finishes strong with another ring he at least has a shot.

I agree. Particularly if he has a signature big play to get them to the super bowl or in the super bowl.

His physical presence and intimidation has made him a special player and a dominant player, even though the length of his career hasn't been long by HOF standards. He has been the most feared man in the sport for a long time....and not for cheap shots or dirty hits. That does mean something. Maybe get a few more sacks and get very close to being the all-time playoff sack leader. Add another ring to that and it just might be enough.....you never know.

teegre
01-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Like many great LBs, performance is measured by more than sacks.

This x 1000

tube517
01-22-2017, 09:38 AM

Unfortunately, Peter King and others like him have the anti Steeler bias and they have it in their head to not vote any more in. I'd love for Deebo to get in.

Psycho Ward 86
01-22-2017, 11:22 AM
not enough big seasons. If Harrison just takes over the next 2 games (assuming we have another game) to a point where he is able to outshadow basically everybody else, or close to (kind of like in the last superbowl victory), then i think he would get in eventually. But If we win anymore games at all starting today its going to be on the back of either Ben or Bell mostly

teegre
01-22-2017, 11:32 AM
If Harrison just takes over the next 2 games (assuming we have another game) to a point where he is able to outshadow basically everybody else

I'm all for it.

How about over the next "two" games...

-6 sacks (two of which force fumbles)
-a pick six
-another (third) forced fumble
-5 tipped passes
-11 QB hurries
-7 tackles for losses

Basically, the 2007 MNF game against the Ravens. Twice.

43Hitman
01-22-2017, 11:52 AM
I'm all for it.

-a pick six
-5 tipped passes
-11 QB hurries
-7 tackles for losses

Basically, the 2007 MNF game against the Ravens. Twice.They'll drug test him for a month straight if he does that. I'm down with it though.

Psycho Ward 86
01-22-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm all for it.

-a pick six
-5 tipped passes
-11 QB hurries
-7 tackles for losses

Basically, the 2007 MNF game against the Ravens. Twice.

i would take an Osweiler led Steelers team over the patriots if he played like that :lol: