PDA

View Full Version : Ignore stats: Ben is at his best

LloydWoodson
01-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Give a lot of credit to Ben for this season. His receiving corps has a 5th rd rookie TE,a 7th rd rookie WR and an UDFA rookie WR. Sammie Coates has dropped so many passes it is 50/50 whether he catches one.

Still Ben threw for 29 TDs in 14 games and 270 ypg. Pretty impressive given his weapons. I think it really shows how well adapted Ben is to working off the running game or a RB-centric offense.

Steelers wouldn't be in the playoffs right now without a 65 yard drive vs the Ravens with 1:15 left to play.

I think this might be Ben's best season despite not having the stats to show.

BnG_Hevn
01-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Sad to say, if the Steelers lose by a blowout Sunday, it doesn't much matter. If they win, THEN people will take notice.

polamalubeast
01-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Ben is not at its best right now, but he is not on the decline too.

The passing game would have been much better with Green, Wheaton and Coates in the lineup, but since this is not the case, the steelers have no choice to be a running team.

DesertSteel
01-17-2017, 09:27 AM
I'm all for taking a WR in round 2 this year. Time to get a guy who can:

1. Stretch the field
2. Catch the ball
3. Stay off the substances

Right now ^ this guy isn't on the team. And Ben is the best downfield passer in the game.

Skinart82
01-17-2017, 10:50 AM
If Bryant doesn't do anything stupid, we are set at receiver for awhile, especially with Rogers.

Steelerette
01-17-2017, 11:44 AM

1. Stretch the field
2. Catch the ball

Right now ^ this guy isn't on the team. And Ben is the best downfield passer in the game.

1. Dawuane Smoot OLB Illinois
2. Corey Davis, WR Western Mich
3. Jordan Leggett, TE Clemson
4. Jamaal Williams, RB BYU
5. Lorenzo Jerome, S St. Francis
6. Ethan Cooper, OL IUP
7. Josh Augusta, DL Missouri

There's a round 2 WR for you.

LloydWoodson
01-18-2017, 12:21 AM
I don't agree that Ben is the best deep passer. I think Stafford is. Regardless, now that Wallace is gone no one outruns his passes and Ben has great accuracy. Rodgers throws great deep as well.

Ben doesn't get enough credit for ball placement. He protects his receivers. Peyton Manning, for example, got his receivers killed regularly including being blown out by Seattle where DT got crushed/injured by Chancellor in the 1st to set the tone. But I digress...

Other than AB cheapshotted by Burfict when Ben was injured and therefore throwing high I don't recall a lot of devestating hits.

IowaSteeler927
01-18-2017, 01:53 AM

1. Stretch the field
2. Catch the ball

If Bryant could stop making dumb off the field mistakes, we'd be set at WR2. He seems at least to have taken the right steps, and has already submitted the paperwork to be reinstated for the 2017 season. I think this season has been an eye opener for him. It has to hurt seeing your team in the AFC Championship game, knowing full well that you could've been a huge part of that, and that he could've put our offense over-the-top. I'm not going to hold my breath with his history of issues, but I hope that he's turned his life around because he's a great player, and has the size, speed, and raw talent to be one of the best in the league.

I do think we need to take a weapon or two in this draft. Preferably a young athletic TE since Green can't stay healthy, and maybe another receiver to add into that rotation. One that can be a little more consistent than guys like DHB, and Wheaton.

Born2Steel
01-18-2017, 12:15 PM
If Bryant could stop making dumb off the field mistakes, we'd be set at WR2. He seems at least to have taken the right steps, and has already submitted the paperwork to be reinstated for the 2017 season. I think this season has been an eye opener for him. It has to hurt seeing your team in the AFC Championship game, knowing full well that you could've been a huge part of that, and that he could've put our offense over-the-top. I'm not going to hold my breath with his history of issues, but I hope that he's turned his life around because he's a great player, and has the size, speed, and raw talent to be one of the best in the league.

I do think we need to take a weapon or two in this draft. Preferably a young athletic TE since Green can't stay healthy, and maybe another receiver to add into that rotation. One that can be a little more consistent than guys like DHB, and Wheaton.

What are your thoughts on Rogers, Hamilton, and Ayers based on play this season. I really like how they've stepped up. I have no fear about our WRs at this point. If we get Bryant back that's just bonus. DHB, Coates, and Wheaton have all disappointed a bit with injuries, but the young guys showed up when called upon. IMO, that is.

lotas
01-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Rogers, Hamilton, and Ayers are all solid contributors, obviously with Rogers having the most experience of the three thus far. Hamilton impressed me from his first catch of the season, he has caught the ball nearly every time he is thrown to, and many of those catches were contested in big moments of the game. Ayers has shined and has the x factor speed and agility, and though we've seen limited moments it's enough to see the confidence and competency is there, which is what a good receiver needs. That shit was not there with a guy like Limas Sweed. It's not even there with Sammie Coates, as much as I like the guy and am pulling for him.

Born2Steel
01-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Rogers, Hamilton, and Ayers are all solid contributors, obviously with Rogers having the most experience of the three thus far. Hamilton impressed me from his first catch of the season, he has caught the ball nearly every time he is thrown to, and many of those catches were contested in big moments of the game. Ayers has shined and has the x factor speed and agility, and though we've seen limited moments it's enough to see the confidence and competency is there, which is what a good receiver needs. That shit was not there with a guy like Limas Sweed. It's not even there with Sammie Coates, as much as I like the guy and am pulling for him.

I'm thinking similar thoughts. Our WR corps looks very promising. I would add another RB, or definitely TE, before pulling the trigger on another WR.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-18-2017, 04:49 PM
I think they need to try Ayers deep again and only time I seen it, work with a PI call. I trust him enough now as well to get by a db and make the catch.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking similar thoughts. Our WR corps looks very promising. I would add another RB, or definitely TE, before pulling the trigger on another WR. Kinda reminds me of the last group of young guys that help us make it to our last SB appearance.

Craic
01-18-2017, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking similar thoughts. Our WR corps looks very promising. I would add another RB, or definitely TE, before pulling the trigger on another WR.

This.

We won't be able to keep all the receivers we have going into next year's first game, and I'm more than happy with who we have at the moment. I think Rogers is a great third WR, and I'd have no problem giving Ayers a shot at number 4. I'd like to see Coates fight it out with Bryant next year for 2, and then keep Coates around in case Bryant can't stay clean. Right there's your five receivers. No reason to pick up another.

TE, that's a completely different story. Heck, I was calling for a TE in the last draft, although I don't think there was anyone that could have made a huge impact.

BTW - how do you think Heath feels. First season away from the team and we are back in the AFCCG. Probably wishes he'd held off one more year.

01-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Yep wr is not a need next year. Lot of young guys showing promise and only going to get better. Add in the possibility with a very talented Bryant that maybe turns the corner with his issues. We actually could be amazing good if all works out. Save the wr pick for a top 3rd QB pick next draft. I'm cool with a high TE pick as well as long as we get a pass rusher early.

DesertSteel
01-18-2017, 06:22 PM
Yep wr is not a need next year. Lot of young guys showing promise and only going to get better. Add in the possibility with a very talented Bryant that maybe turns the corner with his issues. We actually could be amazing good if all works out. Save the wr pick for a top 3rd QB pick next draft. I'm cool with a high TE pick as well as long as we get a pass rusher early.
If there's a stud WR there in rounds 2-3, I'd jump on him given the makeup of the current WR corps and the unreliability of MB. Criteria being that he's a big blazer who can stretch the field and actually catch the ball.

01-18-2017, 09:50 PM
If there's a stud WR there in rounds 2-3, I'd jump on him given the makeup of the current WR corps and the unreliability of MB. Criteria being that he's a big blazer who can stretch the field and actually catch the ball. Can see the argument but in my opinion we are good but opinions very and understand. We definitely need a reliable legit deep threat next year though.

Count Steeler
01-19-2017, 05:12 AM
Markus who?

86WARD
01-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Markus who?

Exactly. He will be a footnote after this season...

DesertSteel
01-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Exactly. He will be a footnote after this season...
He'll probably go to Green Bay and catch a hundred balls next year lol.

86WARD
01-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Meh...if Bryant, Rogers and Coates are here, he can go and catch 200...