PDA

View Full Version : AFC Championship game:New England Patriots

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 10:13 AM
The perfect time to beat them on their field is now!

Edman
01-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Ben really has to show up for this game. He kinda sleptwalked against the Dolphins and Chiefs. I know Bell has been going off, but sooner or later he has to make throws and execute. Taking Red Zone sacks and INTs are not going to cut it.

The main reason for our lack of success against New England, Ben hasn't been his big self against the Pats. At home or on the road.

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 10:23 AM
The Steelers have always been able to move the ball against the Pats, but their problem was to finish their drive with a TD.

86WARD
01-16-2017, 10:33 AM
If New England could somehow shut down AB and Bell, I don't think Ben could beat the Pats the way he is playing. He's actually been very pedestrian...

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 10:36 AM
If New England could somehow shut down AB and Bell, I don't think Ben could beat the Pats the way he is playing. He's actually been very pedestrian...

Easier said than done.

86WARD
01-16-2017, 11:12 AM
That's why I said "somehow"...

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 11:27 AM
I have grown in confidence with Rogers, Hamilton, Ayers, and James as well. AB and Brown will be the gameplan. However, we do have some other weapons that are proving themselves. James looked a bit lost after the catch vs KC, but he is MAKING THE CATCH. Defensively, keep on doing what you're doing. It's working.

Another thought...DWill returned kickoffs in college. May be worth a look.

Craic
01-16-2017, 11:31 AM
I have grown in confidence with Rogers, Hamilton, Ayers, and James as well. AB and Brown will be the gameplan. However, we do have some other weapons that are proving themselves. James looked a bit lost after the catch vs KC, but he is MAKING THE CATCH. Defensively, keep on doing what you're doing. It's working.

Another thought...DWill returned kickoffs in college. May be worth a look.

Ain't that the truth. It seems as though that well of WRs just never runs dry. As for James, it looked more like he was expected a hit and turtled to protect himself and the ball, then realized coverage wasn't as tight as he thought. In a playoff game, I'm not going to argue if ball-protection is number one on his mind, whether it be his, or the football.

steel striker
01-16-2017, 01:29 PM
I think this is the steelers time to upset the cheats in their place because, most of the people are all down on Ben. All everyone is talking about is Brady & Rodgers and, I think the Steelers are due to exercise the demons that are the patriots. Plus I think Jesse James could have a monster game.

ALLD
01-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Would be great to beat the Pats and then go on to avenge the loss to Green Bay in our last SB. Will need to blow the Pats out to overcome the technical glitches and other cheating that is bound to occur.

Mojouw
01-16-2017, 01:37 PM
I love how people want Jesse James to succeed so badly that the bar is being set ridiculously low.

Good for James now seems to involve the following:

1. Blocking that is somewhat better than a large teddy bear on roller skates.
2. Not dropping passes. Even if he randomly has to go to his knees or jump for no reason - hey at least he caught it!
3. The softest run after the catch style I have ever seen from a TE. Dude is like 6 foot a million and has to be north of 240 and he goes down on contact from a CB every time.
4. Any athletic movement that looks w/in shouting distance of coordinated and intentional. Dude is like a teenager that just had his growth spurt.

Don't get me wrong. I'm rooting and rooting hard for James to start pulling it all together and being the answer at TE. I really don't want to draft another one and I think counting on Green's noggin holding together for much longer is a bad bet. I get that James is young and raw, but man-o-man -- he is just not that good. Potential seems to be there, but....

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 02:08 PM
I love how people want Jesse James to succeed so badly that the bar is being set ridiculously low.

2. Not dropping passes. Even if he randomly has to go to his knees or jump for no reason - hey at least he caught it!
3. The softest run after the catch style I have ever seen from a TE. Dude is like 6 foot a million and has to be north of 240 and he goes down on contact from a CB every time.
4. Any athletic movement that looks w/in shouting distance of coordinated and intentional. Dude is like a teenager that just had his growth spurt.

Don't get me wrong. I'm rooting and rooting hard for James to start pulling it all together and being the answer at TE. I really don't want to draft another one and I think counting on Green's noggin holding together for much longer is a bad bet. I get that James is young and raw, but man-o-man -- he is just not that good. Potential seems to be there, but....

Agreed. Glad he is making the catch, but he doesn't look like he knows what to do after he catches the ball. He needs to develop a nose for the endzone. Turn upfield and head straight for it, dragging DBs along.

86WARD
01-16-2017, 02:34 PM
James' blocking is leaps and bounds better than it was when he first arrived. He's not going to be a Jason Witten type after he catches the ball...I'll take whatever I can get out of him catching the ball and running...just don't fumble!!!

86WARD
01-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Would be great to beat the Pats and then go on to avenge the loss to Green Bay in our last SB. Will need to blow the Pats out to overcome the technical glitches and other cheating that is bound to occur.

That's what dreams are made of!!!

pczach
01-16-2017, 02:50 PM

I think you're criticisms of him have merit and are fair. IMO he has improved at every aspect of the game.

His blocking at the line of scrimmage against big men was pathetic to start. It is still not a strength, but he is getting stronger and better.

He has dropped a few passes, but I think he has gotten stronger with his hands and has been pulling in contested catches.

His run after that catch has been very bad. Last year he was horrible. He would go down where he got hit every time, and rarely gained a yard after contact. It wasn't much better for a lot of this year, but the last few games, he has shown me much more effort and is at least pushing people forward and gaining some extra yards. He's getting stronger and more assertive. It's almost like he's figuring out that his body is capable of more than he thought it was. He is getting stronger psychologically, and I think that has been one of his biggest weaknesses.

I think his size makes it look like he's not very athletic. He's a little faster than you think, and I think you are onto something with looking like a teenager after a growth spurt. If you remember, Plaxico Burress had a similar problem when he got to the Steelers. Very tall young men sometimes take a little more time to grow "into" their size. By that I mean that sometimes the body control, balance, and conversion of speed to strength sometimes takes a little longer in very tall men.

I'm not saying he's a world beater by any means. What I'm saying is that I like the growth I've seen in him. I saw him play every game at Penn State. I warned people about him when he was drafted. I stated that he had great size and was capable of making difficult catches, but he played soft and needed to get much stronger in body and in mind, and that he needed to increase his aggressiveness. If he does that, he could be a very good player because there is talent there. More than we have seen so far at the NFL level because of what they ask him to do.

I believe we are starting to see him take those steps forward getting stronger physically and mentally. I'm not sure what his ceiling is at the NFL level, but he can be a gifted catcher of the ball. He is capable of more in the passing game than they have asked him to do. He needs to continue to attack the weight room and gain more weight and strength to be better at the point of attack.

He has an opportunity. The rest is up to him.

Mojouw
01-16-2017, 02:50 PM
James' blocking is leaps and bounds better than it was when he first arrived. He's not going to be a Jason Witten type after he catches the ball...I'll take whatever I can get out of him catching the ball and running...just don't fumble!!!

Sure. And leaps and bounds better than awful is still not very good. So with James the Steelers have a TE who is tall and tries hard. But he isn't that good of a blocker and he isn't a threat running after he sometimes manages to make the catch. So what good is he? He can't fill a Spaeth blocking TE role. He certainly can't be a reduced version of Miller. He isn't even in the same ball-park as Green. So...why is everyone so excited by him?

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 03:27 PM

86WARD
01-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Sure. And leaps and bounds better than awful is still not very good. So with James the Steelers have a TE who is tall and tries hard. But he isn't that good of a blocker and he isn't a threat running after he sometimes manages to make the catch. So what good is he? He can't fill a Spaeth blocking TE role. He certainly can't be a reduced version of Miller. He isn't even in the same ball-park as Green. So...why is everyone so excited by him?

For the record, James has a drop % of 6.7...that's in the ball park of Michael Crabtree (6.2) and Brandon Marshall (6.3). Sammie Coates is a 10.2, AB is a 1.3. So he's not terrible at catching. I don't think there are many people that excited about him are there?

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 04:15 PM
With a victory, Roethlisberger will be tied with Joe Flacco for the most wins by a QB on the road in the playoffs with 6.Flacco is 6-4, Ben is 5-2 on the road in his career in the playoffs.

Aaron Rodgers also could match that record with a win.He is currently 5-4 on the road in his career.

Mojouw
01-16-2017, 04:19 PM
For the record, James has a drop % of 6.7...that's in the ball park of Michael Crabtree (6.2) and Brandon Marshall (6.3). Sammie Coates is a 10.2, AB is a 1.3. So he's not terrible at catching. I don't think there are many people that excited about him are there?

That is better than I thought! I just have a mental picture of him clanking passes off his hands. I not really responding to anything super specific. i just keep seeing folks mention in passing that James should have a big game or James can be the answer at TE.

I get that All-Pros at every position is not reasonable goal/expectation - but James just seems like such an unfinished product at TE and I'm not sure I see much to build on. But I am likely being super pessimistic.

You and others are correct, James has demonstrated incremental improvement week in and week out this year. I just hope for a leap at some point. Feel like he could be Zack Ertz lite.

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 04:23 PM

86WARD
01-16-2017, 04:42 PM
That is better than I thought! I just have a mental picture of him clanking passes off his hands. I not really responding to anything super specific. i just keep seeing folks mention in passing that James should have a big game or James can be the answer at TE.

I get that All-Pros at every position is not reasonable goal/expectation - but James just seems like such an unfinished product at TE and I'm not sure I see much to build on. But I am likely being super pessimistic.

You and others are correct, James has demonstrated incremental improvement week in and week out this year. I just hope for a leap at some point. Feel like he could be Zack Ertz lite.

You're not wrong in your observations. I do think you are hard on him but you are coming from Heath Miller and have Green hanging around...it's hard not to be disappointed with James with the history and potential sitting out there.

pczach
01-16-2017, 04:46 PM
With a victory, Roethlisberger will be tied with Joe Flacco for the most wins by a QB on the road in the playoffs with 6.Flacco is 6-4, Ben is 5-2 on the road in his career in the playoffs.

Aaron Rodgers also could match that record with a win.He is currently 5-4 on the road in his career.

That's not possible. Big Ben sucks on the road.

It has nothing to do with the style of play they have decided to use with Bell healthy and available. His throwing for 5000 yards a couple years ago was a fluke and averaging throwing for 300 yards a game and carrying the team was smoke and mirrors.:wink02:

Of course this isn't directed at you because you get it.

This isn't really that hard to explain...but here goes.

They have decided that they don't want Ben to have to carry the entire load of this team. Mike Tomlin and the organization believes there is enough talent on the team for them to win without Ben having to do everything. Bell has become an unstoppable weapon behind a very good offensive line.

The running game protects a young and improving defense that is emerging as a strength for the foreseeable future. He still has AB to throw the ball to. AB's numbers are down as well because of this philosophical shift. Also, they lost a huge weapon in Bryant for the entire season. When he returns things can be adjusted.

The shift in philosophy focusing on the running game and defense holds up in bad weather, and in the playoffs. It travels well and will extend Ben's career.

When it is necessary, when there are great weather conditions, when they play a defense that calls for it, or when they want to show defenses they can do it, Ben can still spread the field and throw it all over the yard.

There's a reason why Drew Brees keeps throwing for 5000 yards and can't win any games. Ben could still be doing the same thing. But the way they have constructed this team allows them to play different styles which also makes them more versatile and able to formulate game plans that create multiple ways to win on the road.

They now have more ways of beating teams. If you can run, pass, and play defense....you are a very dangerous team.

This isn't really that complicated.

BigBen2004
01-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Now is the time. There is no better time to beat them than right now.

I'm tired of losing to Brady. Ben deserves to get a shot in on him for once.

steelreserve
01-16-2017, 04:56 PM

Do you remember Matt Spaeth? That guy, if he caught the ball (a big IF), would just turn his back to the opponent's goal line, hunch over and shuffle ass-first to gain a couple more yards until he got run over. THAT was the worst run-after-catch style I've ever seen.

Not that James is great, but the fact that he actually runs toward places where he's open is a big first step, and then catches the ball is a good second step. He might not win any awards for his playmaking ability, but being "good enough" to help the team win is good enough for me right now.

fansince'76
01-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Now is the time. There is no better time to beat them than right now.

I'm tired of losing to Brady. Ben deserves to get a shot in on him for once.

I have faith that we now have a DC that will actually try to change things up as opposed to the "tackle the catch" garbage that has allowed Brady to basically play catch with his receivers and go off on us over and over and over again in the past.

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 05:27 PM

Edman
01-16-2017, 06:12 PM
I have faith that we now have a DC that will actually try to change things up as opposed to the "tackle the catch" garbage that has allowed Brady to basically play catch with his receivers and go off on us over and over and over again in the past.

Lebeau changed it up...once. The 2011 game.

Didn't do that again since.

Brady made a career on eating the Lebeau cushion.

BnG_Hevn
01-16-2017, 07:45 PM
No excuses.

Team is healthy

They know the Patriots and their tactics

If they lose, the Patriots are better / better coached.

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 08:43 PM
No excuses.

Team is healthy

They know the Patriots and their tactics

If they lose, the Patriots are better / better coached.

Let me add a little something to the end of that post......ON THAT DAY.

T&B fan
01-16-2017, 09:43 PM

please tell me we have back up radio head sets , and if it happens the NFL needs to fix it

teegre
01-16-2017, 10:41 PM
Why is this poster allowed to troll and hate Jesse James Mr. Owner?

I'll take Jesse's work in the 4th against the Ravens, and against the Chiefs yesterday. He's fine when it's three wides out there. That speed opens the middle for him.

Put him out there with scrubs like Nix and Johnson? Then he's not as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArDg0bfjBQ

teegre
01-16-2017, 10:52 PM
What was that? You had a film crew follow you at work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqiblXFlZuk

tube517
01-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Tomlin's presser:

He apologized for the language in the video. Said he will deal with Antonio this week. Said it was a violation of Steelers rules and league rules.

Injuries:

Deebo (Shoulder/Bicep) - will be limited in practice
S.Davis (Shoulder)
V. Williams (Shoulder)
Green (concussion)
Frenchy (concussion)
ChickFilA (ankle)

AtlantaDan
01-17-2017, 11:48 AM
I liked this response by Tomlin when asked today about not needing to beat the Pats in the 2008 and 2010 playoff runs to the Super Bowl

43Hitman
01-17-2017, 12:22 PM
I liked this response by Tomlin when asked today about not needing to beat the Pats in the 2008 and 2010 playoff runs to the Super Bowl

821410601901637634Such a perfect answer.

DesertSteel
01-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Do you remember Matt Spaeth? That guy, if he caught the ball (a big IF), would just turn his back to the opponent's goal line, hunch over and shuffle ass-first to gain a couple more yards until he got run over. THAT was the worst run-after-catch style I've ever seen.

Not that James is great, but the fact that he actually runs toward places where he's open is a big first step, and then catches the ball is a good second step. He might not win any awards for his playmaking ability, but being "good enough" to help the team win is good enough for me right now.

JJ's hands are proving reliable.

GBMelBlount
01-17-2017, 12:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArDg0bfjBQ

Your garbage collectors are much nicer than ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6CFoZQYXMc

Devilsdancefloor
01-17-2017, 12:44 PM
no cushion man to man in their face and front 7 need to make marsha very uncomfortable. I think deebo can beat soldier anyday. And once we have them scrambling do not go into a prevent all game don't give marsha a chance.

GBMelBlount
01-17-2017, 01:11 PM
no cushion man to man in their face and front 7 need to make marsha very uncomfortable.

I think deebo can beat soldier anyday. And once we have them scrambling do not go into a prevent all game

don't give marsha a chance.

Ageed.

Hopefully Deebo hits her so hard her vagina falls off.

Mojouw
01-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but Brady has been amazing against the blitz all year. Can't find the stats right now, but they are better against the rush than not by a small amount.

If you send guys against Brady, they better get home and get there in about 2-2.5 seconds or you die by crossing routes to Edelman and the backs.

This will be the most difficult test the revamped defense has faced to date.

86WARD
01-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but Brady has been amazing against the blitz all year. Can't find the stats right now, but they are better against the rush than not by a small amount.

If you send guys against Brady, they better get home and get there in about 2-2.5 seconds or you die by crossing routes to Edelman and the backs.

I think most people are saying that and to only send 4.

Mojouw
01-17-2017, 02:12 PM
I think most people are saying that and to only send 4.

That would be interesting, but then they have more blockers than you have pass rushers. Butler better come up with something, because getting any kind of heat on Brady is going to be hard. The teams that have done it have had at least 2 premier pass rushers. The Steelers have maybe 1. Their pressure comes from scheme and taking chances. Anyone else see Hargrave running with Ware against KC? Anyone want to bet on the outcome of that coverage scheme with Brady and Lewis?

Do I think the Steelers can win? Yes. But they better crank up the offense and score about 28+. And they must somehow someway force at least 1 turnover.

86WARD
01-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Clowney and the Texans got great pressure on Brady. Problem was that he would throw up a shit pass and Edelman or hogan would come down with it...then there was the whole Osweiler thing...

Moose
01-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Clowney and the Texans got great pressure on Brady. Problem was that he would throw up a shit pass and Edelman or hogan would come down with it...then there was the whole Osweiler thing...

Exactly on the Osweiler thing ! Houston had a hell of a chance to beat the cheater's IF they would have had a QB. Hey fan's, this game is very much doable for us. From what I've seen they aren't that much on defense down the field which may give Bell, Brown, Ben a good day. Ben definitely has to get the TD's. And our 'D' has to get a big time rush on Brady and flush him from the pocket. He's not a running QB. We play our type of STEELER football, and we travel to Houston !

Shoes
01-17-2017, 06:58 PM

The texans were getting to him and it was longer than 2-2.5 seconds. Expect tommy cakes to cry foul often on Sunday. As for cocky a$$ Eldelman a hit like this will cool his jets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z13P_wzwSE

lotas
01-17-2017, 07:03 PM
I remember not being impressed with New England when we played them earlier in the season. Honestly, I don't feel nearly the level of apprehension about this game as I normally do just with the idea of us playing New England in general. We have a solid team that has found a way to win week in and week out, and most importantly we have not been making many mistakes. If we turn the ball over, the defense gets it back or limits the damage to 3pts or less. If Ben isn't having a great game, Bell can go for 170yds on the ground and get us in position to score. In the past, a few mistakes in a given game could lose it for us, but this team is rising above simple mistakes and executing enough to make up for it.

I think the offense focuses all week on red zone offense and we score 21 by halftime, final score 35-24

Brady gets sacked 4 times and Dupree forces a fumble. Damn, I can't wait!

We have endured a handful of shitty postseason runs riddled with season ending injuries and backup starters. Now we have everyone healthy, and we are two wins away from a 7th Lombardi. It's time for Ben to put Brady to rest in a big game.

Moose
01-17-2017, 07:13 PM
I sure hope there's someone who's checking air pressure, clock maintenance, radio headsets, and anything else that's has N.E. hands touching.

salamander
01-17-2017, 07:52 PM
Just as I was last week, I'm nervous as hell. I'm an eternal pessimist. :chuckle:

Born2Steel
01-17-2017, 08:00 PM
I not only think we CAN win this game, I think we WILL win this game. It's our time. The 3peat run begins now.

Edman
01-17-2017, 09:02 PM

We've known for years that Brady eats up the zone blitz. He has made career games against it.

If the Steelers start trotting out Lebeau's dinosaur scheme of "tackling the catch", then this game is over.

They have done a good job keeping the Pats in check recently, the issue is that they haven't been able to take advantage of the opportunities they get. The previous two games against New England have been very winnable, they just haven't been able to break through.

I'll take that over Pre-2015, where games against the Pats were pure, one-sided domination, where Brady would have career games against the Steelers, and they were never close.

polamalubeast
01-18-2017, 06:28 AM

salamander
01-18-2017, 06:51 AM
We've known for years that Brady eats up the zone blitz. He has made career games against it.

If the Steelers start trotting out Lebeau's dinosaur scheme of "tackling the catch", then this game is over.

They have done a good job keeping the Pats in check recently, the issue is that they haven't been able to take advantage of the opportunities they get. The previous two games against New England have been very winnable, they just haven't been able to break through.

I'll take that over Pre-2015, where games against the Pats were pure, one-sided domination, where Brady would have career games against the Steelers, and they were never close.

I still remember the game they scored 55 pts on us and put up what, over 600 yards of offense?

Edman
01-18-2017, 06:54 AM
I still remember the game they scored 55 pts on us and put up what, over 600 yards of offense?

Yep. 2013.

Dick Lebeau, despite pretty much shutting down Brady in 2011, reverted back to his old defensive scheme, and got thrashed in a 55-31 embarrassment.

Born2Steel
01-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Totally agree with this. We will have to mix up the defense more than ever. The Pats know us. They spread us out to get the advantage. If we rush from ILB, it's a middle screen or dump to Edelman, If we bring an outside blitzer, Brady's got one on one on the outside. Bringing Harrison and Dupree every down leaves us open to the RBs. Cannot be so predictable as to bring the heat every down. Once Brady picks up the blitzer, he already knows where the ball is going. Our defense is going to need to disguise and try to keep them guessing. They are too talented, and if they know what's coming, they know how to beat it. An yes, we WILL have to win a lot of one on one matchups too.

LloydWoodson
01-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Your garbage collectors are much nicer than ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6CFoZQYXMc

Haha! Great find. The brilliant part is the driver is watching his idiot partner lose his mind and must think "Well... Gary's lost it again. Looks like we are destroying mailboxes today. And off we go."

86WARD
01-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Just as I was last week, I'm nervous as hell. I'm an eternal pessimist. :chuckle:

Welcome to the club....lol

fansince'76
01-18-2017, 09:45 AM

Welcome to the club....lol

http://www.demotivation.us/media/demotivators/demotivation.us_We-are-doomed-_129943288973.jpg

:chuckle:

tube517
01-18-2017, 10:01 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/18/ben-roethlisberger-to-julian-edelman-our-lombardi-trophies-show-how-were-run/

“I don’t think I need to speak much,” Roethlisberger answered when asked what he’d say to Edelman. “We’ve got our trophies out there. I’ve got owners that I think are the best in the business. They’re family to us, and I’m sure if he talked to his owner, he would say the same thing about the Rooneys. Anybody in here in the football world or the regular world that owns the Rooneys knows what they stand for. It’s a blessing to call them a family.”

Very Tomlin-esque answer. :applaudit: :cheer2: :chuckle:

polamalubeast
01-18-2017, 11:11 AM

steel striker
01-18-2017, 11:11 AM
I think the steelers are due against the cheats and, it's time to exersize the demons against Brady! Make Brady uncomfortable and, play man. On the offense side score td's.

Born2Steel
01-18-2017, 11:18 AM
What I'm noticing from talking with people I see at work, the general thought is that the home teams will make the SB. But, almost everyone WANTS Steelers vs Packers. It just makes a better game. Rodgers and Ben with their ability to extend plays and defenses that are stingy against the run. Much better game than the statues that are Brady and Ryan.

86WARD
01-18-2017, 12:37 PM
http://www.demotivation.us/media/demotivators/demotivation.us_We-are-doomed-_129943288973.jpg

:chuckle:

Lol!

polamalubeast
01-18-2017, 01:15 PM

BigBen2004
01-18-2017, 01:34 PM
I'm seeing a lot of focus from us this week. Less talk, more work.

They know what's at stake.

If you think we're tired of New England in the Super Bowl, imagine how tired of it the Steelers are. Time to slay the dragon.

polamalubeast
01-18-2017, 02:28 PM

polamalubeast
01-18-2017, 02:47 PM

polamalubeast
01-18-2017, 02:53 PM

AtlantaDan
01-18-2017, 02:56 PM

Long sick list - hope nothing is getting passed around the team

Randy06
01-18-2017, 03:05 PM
I do not know how to feel about this game. I usually have a gut feeling either way, but not yet...

polamalubeast
01-18-2017, 04:14 PM
I predict 2 things

Steelers will win.

And the steelers will still have drama after the game like in the last two weeks with Joey Porter and Antonio Brown!

GoSlash27
01-18-2017, 05:13 PM
I ain't predictin' nuthin' in this game. These are the 2 best teams in the AFC and both will be ready to play their best. We'll all find out who wins in a few days.

stillers4me
01-18-2017, 05:22 PM
No worries.

tube517
01-18-2017, 06:01 PM
821780986656649217 :chuckle:

Rotorhead
01-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Well Houston was able to get alot of pressure up the middle again the Pats. I am thinking we should do something similar to the Miami game where we sent JH up the middle a few times. Collapse the pocket from the Center in front of Brady and he will have to move and that is when he is not as good. Also, we should be able to run on them to limit Brady's playing time as well. I imagine the Pats will try what everyone else tried, load up the box to stop Bell. Ben should have a field day moving the ball, just need to finish off the drives with TD's this week. last week we had 7 opportunities for TD's, that is almost 50pts against one of the best Defenses in the league. This week our redzone production needs to be much better.

SteelMayhem72
01-18-2017, 07:25 PM
No worries.

^^^how come i cant get these to open up on my tapatalk?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GBMelBlount
01-18-2017, 08:36 PM
http://nowaygirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/tom-brady-memes-payton-manning-06-640x626.jpg

AtlantaDan
01-18-2017, 09:27 PM
Gerry Dulac of the P-G said last week that if the Steelers got past KC they would beat New England.

Dulac is not backing off that prediction.

We saw this same type of surge in 2005 when the Steelers beat the Colts and Denver on the road to go to the Super Bowl. This is no different. Prediction: Steelers, 27-24

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/dulacs-picks/2017/01/18/Gerry-Dulac-s-picks-steelers-patriots-prediction-packers-falcons/stories/201701180162

stillers4me
01-19-2017, 05:31 AM
^^^how come i cant get these to open up on my tapatalk?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Use the web browser view.

- - - Updated - - -

AtlantaDan
01-19-2017, 09:12 AM
There is a different vibe about this game than the usual expectation that the Steelers are being led to the slaughter against the Pats

This from ESPN.com

ESPN senior writer Mike Sando asks league insiders to pick winners in selected games each week. ...

The Patriots are 16-3 at home in the playoffs during the Tom Brady (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/2330/tom-brady) era. Two of the three insiders thought that record would fall to 16-4 after facing the Steelers.

Link to full article

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/18501520/nfl-evaluators-predict-afc-nfc-championship-games-2016-nfl-playoffs

teegre
01-19-2017, 10:06 AM
There is a different vibe about this game than the usual expectation that the Steelers are being led to the slaughter against the Pats

This from ESPN.com

ESPN senior writer Mike Sando asks league insiders to pick winners in selected games each week. ...

The Patriots are 16-3 at home in the playoffs during the Tom Brady (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/2330/tom-brady) era. Two of the three insiders thought that record would fall to 16-4 after facing the Steelers.

Link to full article

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/18501520/nfl-evaluators-predict-afc-nfc-championship-games-2016-nfl-playoffs

That's the consensus that I'm hearing, too.

The rationale, simply, is that the superior talent (Steelers) will win out.

Born2Steel
01-19-2017, 11:05 AM
My oldest daughter will be flying out on Monday to start her semester abroad in Barcelona. Flight to Barcelona via Ft. Lauderdale, Oslo, London, then finally Barcelona. 6 months away and out of the country. Sunday she will have my undivided attention, so I will not be watching our victory over the Patsies. I very much doubt I will be in the mood for celebrating for a couple of days. Dad is going to take this hard, I can tell already. I'm very excited for her, obviously, but I'm going to miss her, being able to see her, daily talks, everything that goes with that. As much as I do love the Steelers, they take a back seat to my kids. And I'm talking 3rd row back seat. So, I'll be back, see you guys on the other side of Sunday sometime. Don't know when just yet.

polamalubeast
01-19-2017, 11:17 AM

teegre
01-19-2017, 11:18 AM
My oldest daughter will be flying out on Monday to start her semester abroad in Barcelona. Flight to Barcelona via Ft. Lauderdale, Oslo, London, then finally Barcelona. 6 months away and out of the country. Sunday she will have my undivided attention, so I will not be watching our victory over the Patsies. I very much doubt I will be in the mood for celebrating for a couple of days. Dad is going to take this hard, I can tell already. I'm very excited for her, obviously, but I'm going to miss her, being able to see her, daily talks, everything that goes with that. As much as I do love the Steelers, they take a back seat to my kids. And I'm talking 3rd row back seat. So, I'll be back, see you guys on the other side of Sunday sometime. Don't know when just yet.

Nothing will top this post.

DesertSteel
01-19-2017, 11:48 AM

May the LORD bless you and strengthen you brother. We'll hold the fort down and channel the win in your absence.

86WARD
01-19-2017, 12:08 PM

Good Luck with the trip and everything! Hopefully you'll be able to celebrate when you get back.

Born2Steel
01-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Good Luck with the trip and everything! Hopefully you'll be able to celebrate when you get back.

I'm not going, my daughter is going solo. For an entire semester. And there will be a celebration when she returns.

Hopefully, I can tell her all about how the Steelers won the SB as well.

pczach
01-19-2017, 12:19 PM

As my fellow Steelers brothers said so eloquently before me..... all the best to you and your family.

There are things in life far more important than Steelers football, and family is right at the top of that list. Just seeing my first grandchild come into the world a few days ago put a lot of things in perspective.

We will be thinking about you and wishing you well. When you come back we'll celebrate the great victory together!!!

Take care my man. Sometimes you have to let them go to watch them grow.

Mojouw
01-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Best of luck to your daughter on her semester abroad. Everyone I know that has ever done a study abroad term has zero regrets about the decision and draws from the experience well in to adulthood.

As to the game - I got no idea. I will put this on record: win or lose this was a successful Steelers season. I don't think almost anyone honestly saw this team in the AFCG prior to the season or even at mid-season.

polamalubeast
01-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Best of luck to your daughter on her semester abroad. Everyone I know that has ever done a study abroad term has zero regrets about the decision and draws from the experience well in to adulthood.

As to the game - I got no idea. I will put this on record: win or lose this was a successful Steelers season. I don't think almost anyone honestly saw this team in the AFCG prior to the season or even at mid-season.

Midseason, No since the steelers were 4-5, but it's not a surprise that the steelers are in the AFC title game.

They were among the favorite in the AFC by the media with the Patriots before the season, but I agree wins or loses, this season is a success.

Moose
01-19-2017, 03:43 PM

I know your lonely void feeling my friend. My daughter went away to college also, but unlike your daughter, I was able to call/txt mine nightly. As a father it was so hard to see my little girl off to college and for me to go to bed the first few nights without her hug, kiss and the I love you mom and dad. The time of departure was pure agony, the driving away, but the living apart was a learning experience for my daughter. You know the ole' mom and dad not being there to do the laundry, repair something, etc.. You will be fine my friend. Semester's go fast, although in your case not fast enough. But believe me, the time apart will make the time together so much sweeter and meaningful. Good luck to your daughter in her studies and ventures, and I'm sure she'll come home all the better. Just think of all the neat stuff she'll bring you from Barcelona !

polamalubeast
01-19-2017, 05:16 PM

AtlantaDan
01-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Cover page for the Post-Gazette's AFC championship section.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2ipGN6WQAAlCPD.jpg:small

salamander
01-19-2017, 07:05 PM
The closer we get, the worse I feel about this game, unfortunately. :peep:

stillers4me
01-19-2017, 07:48 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/cfc1eb0679816aed6a8606213baf0323.jpg

salamander
01-19-2017, 08:04 PM

Bulletin board material!!!!! :lol:

Bluecoat96
01-19-2017, 08:40 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/3a2765430ace3f46c70142343231f559.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
01-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Since 2007 season, every time the patriots have lost in the playoffs, the patriots offense had scored less than 20 points with the exception of 2010 when the pats had scored 21 points against the jets, including a TD in the garbage time.

Nadroj 20
01-20-2017, 07:37 AM
I think we have to depend on our offensive line and our running game. Try to keep the Pats O off the field as much as possible and win the field position battle. Ben will definitely have to make plays, but we should trust Bell and our line.

Also Touchdowns over field goals will be nice.

PatPatriot
01-20-2017, 08:12 AM
The closer we get, the worse I feel about this game, unfortunately. :peep:

I can understand why.

- - - Updated - - -

That that right there....... the reason you will lose. You don't change game plans... or schemes.... you use "ra ra go get em" hysteria and at the end of the day.... get your butt kicked by a team and coach that gameplan.

fansince'76
01-20-2017, 09:57 AM
I can understand why.

- - - Updated - - -

That that right there....... the reason you will lose. You don't change game plans... or schemes.... you use "ra ra go get em" hysteria and at the end of the day.... get your butt kicked by a team and coach that gameplan.

:rolleyes:

It's called a "meme." :coffee:

PatPatriot
01-20-2017, 10:05 AM
:rolleyes:

It's called a "meme." :coffee:

I have to string you Pitt people along in conversations don't I.

I understand it's a meme.... but it's also the way you all collectively think is a good way to approach this game.

fansince'76
01-20-2017, 10:06 AM
I have to string you Pitt people along in conversations don't I.

I understand it's a meme.... but it's also the way you all collectively think is a good way to approach this game.

Christ, are all Patriots fans blithering idiots?

Steelerschik
01-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Christ, are all Patriots fans blithering idiots?

Easiest question of the day - YES.

86WARD
01-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Hines is going to be the honorary captain.

polamalubeast
01-20-2017, 03:06 PM

vader29
01-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Psycho Ward 86
01-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Hines is going to be the honorary captain.

pulling all the stops. we all know Hines wants this one bad...as if he's still playing

polamalubeast
01-20-2017, 04:27 PM

Mojouw
01-20-2017, 04:42 PM
IF the Ben Roethlisberger that looks like one of the surest first ballot HOF'ers ever shows up - I feel pretty good about a victory. Since we haven't seen that guy in about a half season or more, I figure this is gonna be ugly.

Lots of images of Ben ripping off his chin strap with that look on his face like he has no idea how he just gunned a pass into the linebackers arms for another redzone INT.

Also, I fully expect the Pats to dream up something that gives Burns and Davis a brain cramp.

AtlantaDan
01-20-2017, 05:44 PM

:sofunny:

AtlantaDan
01-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Also, I fully expect the Pats to dream up something that gives Burns and Davis a brain cramp.

Like Hogan limping around in pregame and then getting a deep ball early?

43Hitman
01-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Like Hogan limping around in pregame and then getting a deep ball early?

822542079653978112Yep, smoke and mirrors. Tomlin and Buts will have their defense ready. Eyes straight ahead, nameless grey faces.

polamalubeast
01-21-2017, 09:33 AM
The red zone defense will be very important for the steelers too.

The pats were perfect against us in the red zone in the last 2 games.(8 TD,0 FG)

Born2Steel
01-26-2017, 04:47 PM

Appreciate all the encouragement SU. It wasn't as grueling as I anticipated. She was just so excited and psyched about going it was contagious. I was still nervous until she let me know she had made it to her apartment, but now she's there, with groceries stocked. So proud of this young'n. Again, thanks for the show of support guys.

86WARD
01-26-2017, 05:59 PM
Glad to hear she is doing well!!

Shoes
01-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Appreciate all the encouragement SU. It wasn't as grueling as I anticipated. She was just so excited and psyched about going it was contagious. I was still nervous until she let me know she had made it to her apartment, but now she's there, with groceries stocked. So proud of this young'n. Again, thanks for the show of support guys.

This will be a wonderful experience for your daughter, its unfortunate more young people don't take advantage of it.