PDA

View Full Version : I'm feeling a big game from Ben

DesertSteel
01-16-2017, 09:55 AM
I see him getting disrespected all week. Even now on ESPN home page they have a picture of the other 3 QBs with him left out. Everyone is ranking the QBs and putting him last. He's been there before and I feel like he's gonna dial it in and silence the critics.

Home Ben shows up instead of Road Ben!

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Maybe not a big game....But I predict a game winning drive for him!

86WARD
01-16-2017, 10:41 AM
The way he is playing, he doesn't deserve to be ranked with those other three right now and frankly, neither should be Brady. He was awful the other night...he threw up probably 3-5 passes that were desperation throws that happen to be caught by Hogan and Edelman.

Iron Steeler
01-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Correction. NEED A BIG GAME FROM BEN

lipps83
01-16-2017, 11:04 AM
The way he is playing, he doesn't deserve to be ranked with those other three right now and frankly, neither should be Brady. He was awful the other night...he threw up probably 3-5 passes that were desperation throws that happen to be caught by Hogan and Edelman.

???

Don't let one not-so-good game from Brady fool you after he had a pretty great season. There is a reason when he hangs them up many will consider him the GOAT.

Ben needs to figure out why he has been sucking lately on the road (he has always not been great on the road, but lately he blows). The next game and the one thereafter (should they make it) are pretty much going to solidify how many see his career.

He is a borderline shoe-in hall of famer good-not-quite-great QB backed by some pretty great and talented teams.

He needs to erase the doubters. Include myself among them.

Edman
01-16-2017, 11:06 AM
To be honest, Ben hasn't been all that great in these playoffs. Le'Veon Bell and the Defense has carried him this far.

2 TD's 3 INT's against the Dolphins and Chiefs. Not exactly top-tier performances.

He really needs to get over his Road Woes and show up for this game.

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 12:14 PM
I call bullshit! Ben hasn't been great? We started off the playoffs with 2 50 yard TDs to AB. Then a masterful drive by BEN and Bell to eat up clock, for another TD. In case you guys have forgotten. What has become commonplace on here is total amnesia that this is a TEAM sport. That goalline INT, responsibility goes to the Chief's defender for getting his hands up in the passing lane. Otherwise that's another Ben to AB touchdown. Other teams make plays too.

SteelMayhem72
01-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Ive been worried about Ben...he has somewhat regressed thia season but that can be all erased with a good showing in the next game and hopefully superbowl

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lipps83
01-16-2017, 12:59 PM
I call bullshit! Ben hasn't been great? We started off the playoffs with 2 50 yard TDs to AB. Then a masterful drive by BEN and Bell to eat up clock, for another TD. In case you guys have forgotten. What has become commonplace on here is total amnesia that this is a TEAM sport. That goalline INT, responsibility goes to the Chief's defender for getting his hands up in the passing lane. Otherwise that's another Ben to AB touchdown. Other teams make plays too.

How many of those two TD's were yards after the catch by AB or did you forget that AB scampered for pretty much all of that yardage after the catch? One was a screen AB took for 50 and the other was about a 10 or 12 yard throw. AB again did the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1E7ommgtaA

Ben has only been kind of good since the 2nd half of the season, not great. He was kind of off it seemed yesterday as well. He needs to be great for this upcoming game and the one (currently theoretical) thereafter. I think he might be bothered by some injury (for some time) and just isn't saying anything. He has seemed off since around just after the midpoint of the season. His INT ratio has steadily grown since then.

People have their doubts because this current version of Ben is just merely good. Nobody is saying he sucks, but they are surely saying he is not great and deservedly so.

He needs to prove them wrong. People have had their doubts for some time and it is obvious why. He is in the twilight of his career, he is not an up and comer. It isn't up to observers and fans to change their opinion because evidence is there. Ben needs to be the Ben we assume and know he can be. GREAT. This is the point in the season that GOOD won't cut it.

This one is on his shoulders.

DesertSteel
01-16-2017, 01:03 PM
The Ben Sucks thread is ----------------------->

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 01:08 PM
How many of those two TD's were yards after the catch by AB or did you forget that AB scampered for pretty much all of that yardage after the catch? One was a screen AB took for 50 and the other was about a 10 or 12 yard throw. AB again did the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1E7ommgtaA

Ben has only been kind of good since the 2nd half of the season, not great. He was kind of off it seemed yesterday as well. He needs to be great for this upcoming game and the one (currently theoretical) thereafter. I think he might be bothered by some injury (for some time) and just isn't saying anything. He has seemed off since around just after the midpoint of the season. His INT ratio has steadily grown since then.

People have their doubts because this current version of Ben is just merely good. Nobody is saying he sucks, but they are surely saying he is not great and deservedly so.

He needs to prove them wrong. People have had their doubts for some time and it is obvious why. He is in the twilight of his career, he is not an up and comer. It isn't up to observers and fans to change their opinion because evidence is there. Ben needs to be the Ben we assume and know he can be. GREAT. This is the point in the season that GOOD won't cut it.

This one is on his shoulders.

No. I did not forget. Ben is very good at throwing AB open so he can do what he does with the ball. Ben could have just as easily put the ball elsewhere so there would be no YAC. I will not take anything away from AB or Bell for their contributions to those scoring drives. But to say Ben had very little to do with them is stupid.

Iron Steeler
01-16-2017, 01:10 PM
???

Don't let one not-so-good game from Brady fool you after he had a pretty great season. There is a reason when he hangs them up many will consider him the GOAT.

Ben needs to figure out why he has been sucking lately on the road (he has always not been great on the road, but lately he blows). The next game and the one thereafter (should they make it) are pretty much going to solidify how many see his career.

He is a borderline shoe-in hall of famer good-not-quite-great QB backed by some pretty great and talented teams.

I feel like Ben is a rhythm QB. I feel like since we hand the ball off to bell alot now he cant knock off the dust early in games. He usally gets his shit together late 3rd quarter theouhh the end. I hope they try to get Ben into his groove early.

Praying he has a career day on Sunday

lipps83
01-16-2017, 01:17 PM
I feel like Ben is a rhythm QB. I feel like since we hand the ball off to bell alot now he cant knock off the dust early in games. He usally gets his shit together late 3rd quarter theouhh the end. I hope they try to get Ben into his groove early.

Praying he has a career day on Sunday

You might have a point. Bell has kind of been carrying this team the 2nd half of the season as more focus has been put into the run game.

So, is Bell carrying keeping Ben from getting in a rhythm early, or is Bell carrying the team because Ben can't get into a rhythm early?

Chicken or the egg?

Mojouw
01-16-2017, 01:39 PM
But the Steelers haven't scored over 20 points in a playoff game since 1952.

Stupid yinzer offensive coordinators.

WCSteeler
01-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Ben has shown decline especially on the road but he's still a very good QB, Ben is in his mid 30s, has been playing for 13 years and has suffered more injuries than any other active QB so decline should be expected. No one can deny how great Ben has played for this team but people get older and decline physically it's the way it is. I'm not going to suggest Ben should retire after the season but the Steelers need to look to the future and take a QB early in the draft to groom.

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Ben has shown decline especially on the road but he's still a very good QB, Ben is in his mid 30s, has been playing for 13 years and has suffered more injuries than any other active QB so decline should be expected. No one can deny how great Ben has played for this team but people get older and decline physically it's the way it is. I'm not going to suggest Ben should retire after the season but the Steelers need to look to the future and take a QB early in the draft to groom.

I can agree with almost all of your post. Physical abilities do decline as we get older. Injuries can change mechanics, which can diminish abilities also. I just really don't see Ben as diminished. He still scrambles, shrugs off sacks, makes accurate throws, etc.... In fact, he's a smarter player now than he's ever been.

I don't believe in the draft and 'groom' philosophy. Ben didn't need to be groomed, neither should his heir.

pczach
01-16-2017, 02:07 PM
The Ben Sucks thread is ----------------------->

You are correct, we do. It's called the "Game Day" thread.

Iron Steeler
01-16-2017, 02:43 PM
We nees to finish our drives.

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Ben, Brady, and Manning have dominated the AFC. It's not debatable. It's not even close. If people want to dismiss what Ben does, just put Landry Jones in his place. Do we even make the playoffs? Are our 'Big3' even a Big3? Ben calls the blocking that sets Bell up to succeed at what he does. Ben puts AB in position to take it to the house. Again, It's not even close.

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 03:02 PM
No doubt Ben can be better, especially in the red zone, but he is far to be bad.

The fact that our WR after Brown are inexperienced does not help as well.

Count Steeler
01-16-2017, 03:06 PM
No doubt Ben can be better, especially in the red zone, but he is far to be bad.

The fact that our WR after Brown are inexperienced does not help as well.

Simple, turn off Haley's mic in the red zone.

Hawkman
01-16-2017, 03:21 PM
What the hell do you want from Ben? 14 and 15 he had Brown, Miller, Bryant, and Wheaton. This year he has had Brown.......sometimes Coates.........sometimes Green........James, Rogers + whoever is up next........and we are in the AFCC. Can't wait to hear the criticism when we win the SB.

lipps83
01-16-2017, 05:05 PM
What the hell do you want from Ben? 14 and 15 he had Brown, Miller, Bryant, and Wheaton. This year he has had Brown.......sometimes Coates.........sometimes Green........James, Rogers + whoever is up next........and we are in the AFCC. Can't wait to hear the criticism when we win the SB.

Nobody needs anything from Ben and he owes no one anything. What would be nice here would be to actually be able to have a discussion about issues that are seen on the team that we all support, and not attacked here for trying to have a conversation.

Ben is not flawless, nobody on this team is... yet some here feel that issues regarding Roethlisberger are beyond reproach. They put on their hypocycloid sunglasses and flat out refuse to acknowledge it.

Yet, I don't recall anyone here ever actually saying flat out "BEN SUCKS", and I know for sure I have not. I don't think he sucks, never have and never will because it is not true (haley does blow though, just fyi). Just because I acknowledge some deficiency within his game, does not in any way, shape or form infer that I wish some other QB would lead this team. And fuck you if you can't see that.

We have all heard the song and dance millions of times already

"you will all be sorry when we win the super bowl (like there aren't 52 other players)"
"remember Bubby Brister, that's what this team is going to find when Ben retires"
"if not Ben, who would you rather have as a QB"

Everyone here knows there is truth to that, and we are going to be approaching that reality in the next several years. As he gets older his physical skill is going to diminish and he is going to need to rely more on his 'football smarts' because his skill is not going to be able to get him over some hurdles as easily as it did in the past. My problem is, and this is the only problem i have, he has always been a gunslinger and efficiency be damned. He isn't quite the physical gunslinger he used to be due to injuries and whatnot, and his ability to be smart and efficient is going to play a bigger role the older he gets. That sack on 3rd down last night is quite evident. The smart thing would have been, if no one was open, just throw it away. No need to risk getting sacked, risking injury, potential fumble and adding another 8 yards onto the length of the field goal attempt.

That's it, it is simple.

Edman
01-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Simple, turn off Haley's mic in the red zone.

Ben was the one who audibled out of the run play to Bell that resulted in the tipped pass and the Red Zone INT.

Haley's fault.

Moose
01-16-2017, 05:46 PM
I sure hope Ben has a big game, at least the next 2 games anyway ! They aren't going to beat N.E. with just scoring FG's and not scoring TD's.

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 06:16 PM
???

Not sure why I was thinking people on here did indeed say that Ben sucked lately.

- - - Updated - - -

You might have a point. Bell has kind of been carrying this team the 2nd half of the season as more focus has been put into the run game.

So, is Bell carrying keeping Ben from getting in a rhythm early, or is Bell carrying the team because Ben can't get into a rhythm early?

Chicken or the egg?

Seems Ben has NOTHING to do with Bell's, or the team success as i had previously thought.

Count Steeler
01-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Ben was the one who audibled out of the run play to Bell that resulted in the tipped pass and the Red Zone INT.

Haley's fault.

That's one play out of how many in the Red Zone?

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 06:18 PM
Nobody needs anything from Ben and he owes no one anything. What would be nice here would be to actually be able to have a discussion about issues that are seen on the team that we all support, and not attacked here for trying to have a conversation.

Ben is not flawless, nobody on this team is... yet some here feel that issues regarding Roethlisberger are beyond reproach. They put on their hypocycloid sunglasses and flat out refuse to acknowledge it.

Yet, I don't recall anyone here ever actually saying flat out "BEN SUCKS", and I know for sure I have not. I don't think he sucks, never have and never will because it is not true (haley does blow though, just fyi). Just because I acknowledge some deficiency within his game, does not in any way, shape or form infer that I wish some other QB would lead this team. And fuck you if you can't see that.

We have all heard the song and dance millions of times already

"you will all be sorry when we win the super bowl (like there aren't 52 other players)"
"remember Bubby Brister, that's what this team is going to find when Ben retires"
"if not Ben, who would you rather have as a QB"

Everyone here knows there is truth to that, and we are going to be approaching that reality in the next several years. As he gets older his physical skill is going to diminish and he is going to need to rely more on his 'football smarts' because his skill is not going to be able to get him over some hurdles as easily as it did in the past. My problem is, and this is the only problem i have, he has always been a gunslinger and efficiency be damned. He isn't quite the physical gunslinger he used to be due to injuries and whatnot, and his ability to be smart and efficient is going to play a bigger role the older he gets. That sack on 3rd down last night is quite evident. The smart thing would have been, if no one was open, just throw it away. No need to risk getting sacked, risking injury, potential fumble and adding another 8 yards onto the length of the field goal attempt.

That's it, it is simple.

Maybe I'm just having trouble 'seeing it'.

86WARD
01-16-2017, 07:04 PM
That's one play out of how many in the Red Zone?

We don't know...we may never know...

lipps83
01-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Not sure why I was thinking people on here did indeed say that Ben sucked lately.

Hooray, you didn't prove anything here. Were you trying to?

Saying Ben has been playing poorly on the road means just that, Ben has been playing poorly on the road. Playing poorly is synonymous with sucking. You are seeing way much more into it then is really being said here and there is no contradiction whatsoever in my two posts.

Oh no, you got me.

nobody flat out saying "BEN SUCKS"
Ben sucks on the road lately.

Nevermind, you don't.

THOSE TWO STATEMENTS ARE NOT THE SAME THING. I am not going to sit here and give you a lesson on grammar. If you fail to see how "BEN SUCKS" and "BEN SUCKS ON THE ROAD" aren't the same, there isn't much more I can do that the public education system hasn't already and I am pretty sure it isn't the system that failed you.

Now, let's look at what the term 'lately' means.

late·ly
ˈlātlē/Submit
adverb
recently; not long ago.

Does it mean forever ago? Maybe within the last few years? Nah, I am pretty sure I meant the last handful of away games when I said the following:

he has always not been great on the road, but lately he blows

Now, I would say his recent away games @ KC, Buffalo Miami and Philly would be evidence enough of this phenomena but I think you are having difficulty in objectifying reality. He had a great game at Indy, but I don't recall any other away games where I could say his performance was 'great'.

Since you are above criticizing Big Ben, do you think his performance yesterday at KC was top notch? How about in Buffalo?

Describe his performance in the Philly game without once criticizing his play. I just want to see how many excuses you can come up with to not do so.

Seems Ben has NOTHING to do with Bell's, or the team success as i had previously thought.

How old are you?

Maybe I'm just having trouble 'seeing it'.

I think you are too. You might want to stop while you think you are ahead. Comprehension isn't your strong suit.

Edman
01-16-2017, 07:20 PM
Ben hasn't been at his best lately and he needs to play better. The Steelers need a solid game from him Sunday. He cannot go in with another ho-hum performance against the Patriots if the Steelers are going to go to Houston.

The truth simply hurts.

The Steelers continually failed throughout the Cowher years in the Championship Games because we had subpar QB play. Well, we can't get away with it Sunday.

BnG_Hevn
01-16-2017, 07:27 PM

He opted out of a run on that play. If it's not tipped at LoS, it may have been a pick 6 with the position of the defender on the WR.

DesertSteel
01-16-2017, 07:38 PM
You are correct, we do. It's called the "Game Day" thread.

Yeah it's like there are two quarterbacks in the WORLD who are better than Ben.... FREAK OUT MODE!!!!

fansince'76
01-16-2017, 08:15 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Just give it up like I have. Unless he throws for 500+ yards and 5 TDs a game, someone's going to be badmouthing him.

DesertSteel
01-16-2017, 08:23 PM
If it was easy to play QB at a high level consistently there would be more than 8-10 of them in the world. You think?

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Hooray, you didn't prove anything here. Were you trying to?

Saying Ben has been playing poorly on the road means just that, Ben has been playing poorly on the road. Playing poorly is synonymous with sucking. You are seeing way much more into it then is really being said here and there is no contradiction whatsoever in my two posts.

Oh no, you got me.

Nevermind, you don't.

THOSE TWO STATEMENTS ARE NOT THE SAME THING. I am not going to sit here and give you a lesson on grammar. If you fail to see how "BEN SUCKS" and "BEN SUCKS ON THE ROAD" aren't the same, there isn't much more I can do that the public education system hasn't already and I am pretty sure it isn't the system that failed you.

Now, let's look at what the term 'lately' means.

late·ly
ˈlātlē/Submit
adverb
recently; not long ago.

Does it mean forever ago? Maybe within the last few years? Nah, I am pretty sure I meant the last handful of away games when I said the following:

Now, I would say his recent away games @ KC, Buffalo Miami and Philly would be evidence enough of this phenomena but I think you are having difficulty in objectifying reality. He had a great game at Indy, but I don't recall any other away games where I could say his performance was 'great'.

Since you are above criticizing Big Ben, do you think his performance yesterday at KC was top notch? How about in Buffalo?

Describe his performance in the Philly game without once criticizing his play. I just want to see how many excuses you can come up with to not do so.

How old are you?

I think you are too. You might want to stop while you think you are ahead. Comprehension isn't your strong suit.

I comprehend just fine. Your words. Redirect them however you want. You said Ben has been 'sucking lately'. I called bullshit. Ben has not been sucking lately. I'm not above criticizing any player. But you have to take some bad plays with the good. The INT was a tipped pass, give credit to a good defensive play. NOBODY makes ALL the throws every time. Ben calls plays. Ben directs the blocking that Bell runs behind. Ben sees the defensive formation and knows the WRs that will be in good matchups. Sometimes the DEFENSE makes a good disguise and he gets one wrong. It's all part of the game and Ben is one of the BEST at it. You claim he has been 'sucking lately'. I claim he has played well against good competition. Not perfect, but well. Against Miami, 2 TD passes to AB. Yes long runs after the catch, but Ben put the ball where he needed to to give AB that opportunity. 3rd drive, ALL BELL. Ben directs the blocking. Playing well vs sucking is more than just throwing the ball or getting one goal line play call wrong.

You want to make a point about the word 'lately' like nobody knows the meaning of the word, and then proceed to bring up the week 3 Philly game. Comprehension goes both ways.

fansince'76
01-16-2017, 08:36 PM
With Landry Jones, Bell gets bottled up because there is zero threat of a passing attack and the opposing team stacks the box on every single play.

Born2Steel
01-16-2017, 08:39 PM
He opted out of a run on that play. If it's not tipped at LoS, it may have been a pick 6 with the position of the defender on the WR.

Ok maybe, maybe not. Point is, that's one bad play, or actually one bad play call. The defenders still made good plays to get that. Does that define Ben as "sucking lately"? Those are the words I'm specifically talking about. Ben didn't call an audible to show off his great arm. He saw the defensive alignment and made a decision. He got it wrong. That goes to the defense making a good play rather than Ben just sucks lately.

DesertSteel
01-16-2017, 08:42 PM
I comprehend just fine. Your words. Redirect them however you want. You said Ben has been 'sucking lately'. I called bullshit. Ben has not been sucking lately. I'm not above criticizing any player. But you have to take some bad plays with the good. The INT was a tipped pass, give credit to a good defensive play. NOBODY makes ALL the throws every time. Ben calls plays. Ben directs the blocking that Bell runs behind. Ben sees the defensive formation and knows the WRs that will be in good matchups. Sometimes the DEFENSE makes a good disguise and he gets one wrong. It's all part of the game and Ben is one of the BEST at it. You claim he has been 'sucking lately'. I claim he has played well against good competition. Not perfect, but well. Against Miami, 2 TD passes to AB. Yes long runs after the catch, but Ben put the ball where he needed to to give AB that opportunity. 3rd drive, ALL BELL. Ben directs the blocking. Playing well vs sucking is more than just throwing the ball or getting one goal line play call wrong.

You want to make a point about the word 'lately' like nobody knows the meaning of the word, and then proceed to bring up the week 3 Philly game. Comprehension goes both ways.
Nice post.

If we win the Super Bowl, I sure hope it's by enough points to satisfy the armchairs on this board.

teegre
01-16-2017, 08:43 PM
You want to make a point about the word 'lately' like nobody knows the meaning of the word, and then proceed to bring up the week 3 Philly game.

Boom.

Mojouw
01-16-2017, 10:16 PM
He's back...yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelMayhem72
01-16-2017, 10:33 PM
Just proving a point.

Many on this board rip players, rip coaches, they stay.

I rip a moron OC and I get banned.

Why the double standard?
I knew this was crashformation

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GBMelBlount
01-17-2017, 08:07 AM
Ben seems to need A reason to play inspired.

Under dog
Disrespected
Shitty performance or loss the week before
Something happens during game to get him fired up

I think the first 3 are currently in play.

So hopefully he plays inspired.

Psycho Ward 86
01-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Overlooked is the fact that the 1st time we played the patriots, we moved the ball well, we just couldnt finish. We put up 375 yards of offense, which if we averaged that as a team we wouldve been the 6th ranked total offense in the league. That was with Landry. And plus the patriots dont have Gronk anymore and Brady's QB rating drops by 20 when he plays without him.

Ben NEEDS to take advantage. I think personnel wise, the chiefs defense is actually better, even with the injuries (remember that we got lucky and the chiefs didnt have their starting DE's or Derrick Johnson). But Belichick is a far better strategist. 60%, low 300 yards, 3 scores from Ben is what its going to take to win this one

86WARD
01-17-2017, 01:47 PM
That game was also at home.

fansince'76
01-17-2017, 01:58 PM
That game was also at home.

But it was with LANDRY JONES, so that's a wash.

SteelMember
01-17-2017, 02:04 PM
I've got a feeeeeel-ing....

cubanstogie
01-17-2017, 02:09 PM
The guy had one bad play on the road in playoffs. Bell was running at will so Ben basically managed the game like he should. I would have loved to see them run it in on first and goal at 5. AB was covered so I think even if not tippped bad decision. As frustrating as it was settling for field goals it worked out, and no doubt if game was tied Ben marches them down field for a seventh FG. Last drive to seal it was as good as a touchdown. That was not Miami, KC is solid team. More than likely Ben willl have to do more next week since NE shuts down the run very well, you cant have it both ways if they stop run I have every bit of confidence Ben will exploit their secondary and Bell will have seven receptions for 85 yds. They punted one time. Brady played a lot worse than Ben did.

DesertSteel
01-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Bottom line is NINE in a row! A team learns how to win in all different ways during a streak like that. That is the swagger they need to take into the razor.

Mojouw
01-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Overlooked is the fact that the 1st time we played the patriots, we moved the ball well, we just couldnt finish. We put up 375 yards of offense, which if we averaged that as a team we wouldve been the 6th ranked total offense in the league. That was with Landry. And plus the patriots dont have Gronk anymore and Brady's QB rating drops by 20 when he plays without him.

Ben NEEDS to take advantage. I think personnel wise, the chiefs defense is actually better, even with the injuries (remember that we got lucky and the chiefs didnt have their starting DE's or Derrick Johnson). But Belichick is a far better strategist. 60%, low 300 yards, 3 scores from Ben is what its going to take to win this one

I will agree to this. With the addition that the offense can NOT turn the ball over and the Steelers D must force at least one turnover.

slippy
01-17-2017, 02:57 PM
i'm seeing ben with tons of time but pulling the ball down and double and tripple clutching. a lot of thinking and second guessing going on by him. i think he just doesn't trust any of the receivers not naned AB, and Brown is usually doubled.

Psycho Ward 86
01-17-2017, 03:14 PM
The guy had one bad play on the road in playoffs. Bell was running at will so Ben basically managed the game like he should. I would have loved to see them run it in on first and goal at 5. AB was covered so I think even if not tippped bad decision. As frustrating as it was settling for field goals it worked out, and no doubt if game was tied Ben marches them down field for a seventh FG. Last drive to seal it was as good as a touchdown. That was not Miami, KC is solid team. More than likely Ben willl have to do more next week since NE shuts down the run very well, you cant have it both ways if they stop run I have every bit of confidence Ben will exploit their secondary and Bell will have seven receptions for 85 yds. They punted one time. Brady played a lot worse than Ben did.

See, im tired of these excuses for Ben. Ben is no game manager. He's an elite QB. By this logic, are you saying Ben would have magically had a great game if Bell was sputtering on the ground? The tipped pass was a terrible decision. It was originally a designed run that Ben checked out of, theres an article on this on Steelersdepot. It left a linebacker right in the vicinity of the throwing path completely unblocked.

Ben needs to turn in one of his best individual performances of the year to get past the patriots. He knows it, and I expect him to play his best game in a month

ALLD
01-17-2017, 05:30 PM
A Steelers/Falcons Super Bowl would be appropriate. That's my call.

cubanstogie
01-17-2017, 08:55 PM
See, im tired of these excuses for Ben. Ben is no game manager. He's an elite QB. By this logic, are you saying Ben would have magically had a great game if Bell was sputtering on the ground? The tipped pass was a terrible decision. It was originally a designed run that Ben checked out of, theres an article on this on Steelersdepot. It left a linebacker right in the vicinity of the throwing path completely unblocked.

Ben needs to turn in one of his best individual performances of the year to get past the patriots. He knows it, and I expect him to play his best game in a month
I have always bought into running game and defense in playoffs wins. I do think Ben would have had a great game had he needed to. If Bell was shut down who knows it may have been better with ben throwing down field like the first time they played. Had he not made a bad decision to check out off run and throw into heavy coverage in tight area , I would have considered him to have a great game. That would have meant no turnovers, good D and great running game. A great formula for playoff success. Thats why I stated he made one bad play. Just like Steelers adjusting for AJayi last week , KC made some adjustments as well and kept them out of endzone. I don't blame Ben for all stalled drives. Certainly the first and goal at five I do. Like I said he played better than Brady did. Again I give him props for getting a first down from his own five with KC fired up and all momentum. Ben has always thrown more pics than I would like, but thats the price you pay its like a running back fighting for extra yards they are susceptible to that. Ben extends more plays than anyone not named Rodgers. I agree he has to play better next week.

Craic
01-17-2017, 09:35 PM
I have always bought into running game and defense in playoffs wins.

Except, it really doesn't. A running game an defense will win right up to the AFCCG, but seldom will it get you beyond it. Mainly, because by the time you get to the AFCCG and SB, you're facing opponents that can match your defense stride for stride. Then, it's a matter of whose offense can break through for more points. As we've seen repeatedly over the last 20 years, that'd be the team that can throw the ball better.

cubanstogie
01-17-2017, 10:49 PM
Except, it really doesn't. A running game an defense will win right up to the AFCCG, but seldom will it get you beyond it. Mainly, because by the time you get to the AFCCG and SB, you're facing opponents that can match your defense stride for stride. Then, it's a matter of whose offense can break through for more points. As we've seen repeatedly over the last 20 years, that'd be the team that can throw the ball better.
The odds of throwing for 300 plus throughout playoffs without a running game and winning out not good IMO. In Bens thirteen playoff wins he averaged 208 yds per game, in the six losses he averaged 298 yds per game. Im not saying Ben is a game manager, but elite or not he needs a running game.

DesertSteel
01-17-2017, 11:01 PM
The odds of throwing for 300 plus throughout playoffs without a running game and winning out not good IMO. In Bens thirteen playoff wins he averaged 208 yds per game, in the six losses he averaged 298 yds per game. Im not saying Ben is a game manager, but elite or not he needs a running game.

Great stat. Boom.

teegre
01-18-2017, 12:44 AM
BB isn't always great, but he is when it counts.

--Final drive of Baltimore game.
--Final pass of KC game.

So, in this game, I think we will see a lot of Le'Veon Bell, but BB will make about 3 or 4 critical completions that will decide the game. Maybe a red-zone TD pass (or two), maybe a third-&-long, maybe a third-&-short that will seal the victory...

Something like:
Bell: 30 for 220 yards and 4 TDs (3 rushing, 1 receiving)
BB: 19/25 for 225, 2 TDs... 5/5 on third downs... 1/1 on third-&-victory

IowaSteeler927
01-18-2017, 01:23 AM
Ben needs to step it up against the Patsies, he knows he needs to step up his game. He can't be making boneheaded decisions like he has been for awhile now. I know he's not at 100%, that much is evident in watching him play, he simply doesn't look like he's playing at 100%. A lot of the mistakes he's making though, are mental ones, and he needs to clean those up. We need to play mistake free football against the Patriots, and Ben needs to get the ball to his receivers. The Patriots won't be afraid to go after our defense with big plays, and we're going to have to be ready to match them punch of punch.

86WARD
01-19-2017, 02:43 PM
A Steelers/Falcons Super Bowl would be appropriate. That's my call.

I'd rather see the packers if the Steelers get past NE. Their DBs and WRs are banged up not to mention the lack of a run game. Sure they have Rodgers but he can be rattled just like anyone else. Julio, Coleman, Freeman, Sanu and Ryan are dangerous...

steel striker
01-19-2017, 03:10 PM
I'm thinking this is the game Ben has been waiting for and, I expect Ben to be great on Sunday Night.

Psycho Ward 86
01-19-2017, 04:05 PM
I'd rather see the packers if the Steelers get past NE. Their DBs and WRs are banged up not to mention the lack of a run game. Sure they have Rodgers but he can be rattled just like anyone else. Julio, Coleman, Freeman, Sanu and Ryan are dangerous...

Those receivers will be healthy by the time the superbowl rolls around, and id rather not face Rodgers with a stocked arsenal. Look what he did to Dallas without Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams for part of the game

86WARD
01-19-2017, 06:35 PM
But they don't have a run game, their backend of the D has been pieced together and I'd take the Steelers WRs vs. The Packers DBs over the Packers WRs vs. the Steelers DBs...no? Maybe not. I go back and forth every minute. Need to get past NE first and I think that's going to be a hefty task.