PDA

View Full Version : How Vontaze Burfict’s hit on Antonio Brown and the ensuing drama changed NFL history

polamalubeast
01-13-2017, 09:33 AM
One year ago today, on January 9, 2016, Vontaze Burfict laid a hit on Antonio Brown.

I remember it like it were yesterday, and I’d guess 99 percent of Bengals fans can say the same. Brown, covered by Chris Lewis-Harris, came across the middle, attempting to haul in a pass on an intermediate crossing route, only to meet Burfict’s shoulder. Brown was knocked out cold on the hit.

Debating whether Burfict’s hit on Brown was dirty isn’t the point of this story. Hoards of NFL fans and analysts went back and forth on the issue ad nauseam for the next several months, and ultimately, fans’ perceptions of Burfict won’t change no matter how much evidence is presented and no matter what he says or does — the linebacker was only penalized twice in 2016, once for defensive holding and only once for unnecessary roughness. Despite this, fans refuse to acknowledge the steps he’s taken to change his reputation, even grouping him with Adam Jones when the latter was arrested following the 2016 season.

Rather, this story aims to examine how one play changed the narrative of one of the most controversial games in NFL history, shattering Burfict’s reputation and changing the landscape of not only the 2016 playoffs but also the 2016 season, the Bengals as a team and even Cincinnati as a city. Here’s how it all went down.

read more

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/1/9/14198540/how-vontaze-burficts-hit-on-antonio-brown-and-the-ensuing-drama-changed-nfl-history

fansince'76
01-13-2017, 09:40 AM
On tape, Burfict’s hit doesn’t appear to be over-the-top, though at worst, it could’ve easily warranted a penalty for unnecessary roughness or hitting a defenseless receiver. And for what it’s worth, the hit did in fact draw a flag for unnecessary roughness.

That being said, the hit — all media stories, post-game reporting and other variables aside — wasn’t all that bad. That’s not to say it wasn’t unfortunate Brown was on the receiving end of a concussion, but the hit in itself wasn’t inherently dirty — just as Burfict’s tackling of Le’Veon Bell a few months earlier wasn’t.

Delusional much?

I'm just glad the Steelers didn't have to play these dirtbags in the WC round again this year. And as far as the guy whining about Birth Defect and his "sullied reputation" goes, he fully earned it, dude.

Mojouw
01-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Where do they find these clowns?

Burfict is dirty and everyone but hard-core Bengals fans knows it. There is a reason that a player as talented as he is had to go in the supplemental draft. His issues are well documented. Can't rewrite history.

I get that it wasn't "helmet to helmet" and part of the media narrative about that game was false. That ties in to the media rant thread that is posted to this board. Folks covering the game are just repeating what others say at the speed of Twitter. No one is actually thinking for themselves. I do applaud the author for trying to do that here. I just think his desire to exonerate Burfict totally biases how he is seeing things. Just as my desire to see everything he does as the outcome of being a POS biases my viewpoint.

polamalubeast
01-13-2017, 09:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fD1Jomhc5Q

teegre
01-13-2017, 12:14 PM
In related news...

LaToya also believes that Michael didn't diddle a bunch of kids.

tube517
01-13-2017, 12:20 PM
In related news...

LaToya also believes that Michael didn't diddle a bunch of kids.

LaToya and Michael are the same person. :chuckle:

Edman
01-13-2017, 12:39 PM
It's Cincinnati.

You can't expect a fanbase and organization so used to losing to suddenly grasp why they suck. The Steelers have one more Super Bowl win than the Bengals have in playoff wins.

Marvin Lewis is looking to stay on for another year, which is perfectly fine by me. He is the reason why the Bengals will always remain failures. He never has any control over his team, and why they don't take any responsibility. He's not a leader, he's a single mommy coming to the rescue of his players "My little baby dindu nuffin!".

Fans refuse to acknowledge the steps he’s taken to change his reputation, even grouping him with Adam Jones when the latter was arrested following the 2016 season.

Burfuck created his own bad reputation. No one else did.

st33lersguy
01-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Looks like more sour grapes. I fully expect an article on January 9th 2036 complaining about the end of the game

Craic
01-13-2017, 01:48 PM
This is simple.

Had it been the first time, and had Burfict shown the slightest concern, we all go: huh, shouldn't have happened, but it's part of the game. However, once is a mistake; twice, a coincidence; three times, a pattern. There's a reason Burfict is considered dirty.