PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' offensive changes sparked midseason turnaround

stillers4me
01-11-2017, 05:27 AM
Credit the defense for helping send the Steelers to the second round of the playoffs, as it reinvented itself over this eight-game win streak.
Their offense has gone through a transformation as well, only not with the kind of personnel changes they made on defense but with a change in philosophy.

The offense switched from finesse to power football, from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger as their center of attention to running back Le’Veon Bell as the straw that stirs the drink.

It all began after their 35-30 loss at home against the Dallas Cowboys, a fourth loss in a row that dropped the Steelers record to 4-5. Roethlisberger threw for 408 yards in that game and Bell ran for just 57...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/01/11/pittsburgh-steelers-offense-ben-roethlisberger-le-veon-bell-mike-tomlin-todd-haley/stories/201701110040

Mojouw
01-11-2017, 11:26 AM
I'd say this article gets it about 75% right. On the current win streak, they rarely start with Bell. They use that early season high octane passing game to get some points on the board and then grind the opposition down with Bell and the power game.

I know I'm broad brushing things, but it can't be forgotten that the passing game still needs to function at a high level or this all falls apart.

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 11:40 AM
The defense is also very important in this winning streak.

When your defense is very good, you can be patient on offense with the running game, but of course Bell is simply unbelievable in its last 7 games.