PDA

View Full Version : Thing I noticed About Our Defense Games Back.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-10-2017, 12:14 AM
If the offense is on they seem to feed off of them and the energy. Also they are better when they don't have to be on the field constantly after 3 and outs. Defense is a lot Improved since earlier in the season but seem like they held there own early on this year when the offense was gelling.

katmandu
01-10-2017, 12:50 AM
If the offense is on they seem to feed off of them and the energy. Also they are better when they don't have to be on the field constantly after 3 and outs. Defense is a lot Improved since earlier in the season but seem like they held there own early on this year when the offense was gelling.Wait and see how much the Defense improves next season.

The Defensive Rookies are coming along quite nicely !

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-10-2017, 01:40 AM
Wait and see how much the Defense improves next season.

The Defensive Rookies are coming along quite nicely ! I agree and the future with them is truly bright. My point is early in the season when they wasn't all that. They feed off the offense and played better when the offense was doing well.

- - - Updated - - -

Point being if the offense shows up and so will the D!

tube517
01-10-2017, 06:10 AM
Deebo is on a rampage and is pissed off. I said it earlier in the year. He is furious about the drug tests/AlJazerra crap and likes to prove naysayers wrong.

The young guys and even Timmons are feeding off of Deebo. The Crygirls game pissed them off.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 06:23 AM

Butch
01-10-2017, 06:38 AM
It's funny people who want to bitch about the defense forget how many times the offense is going 3 and out or turning the ball over deep in our own end of the field. You can get away with 3 and outs only so many times before it comes back to bite you. I personally think we have a very special and under rated unit. I look forward to watching them play every week.

LloydWoodson
01-10-2017, 07:38 AM
It's funny people who want to bitch about the defense forget how many times the offense is going 3 and out or turning the ball over deep in our own end of the field. You can get away with 3 and outs only so many times before it comes back to bite you. I personally think we have a very special and under rated unit. I look forward to watching them play every week.

I agree 100% and frankly that has been a problem for years.

Over a whole season the Steelers don't have that many 3 and outs. Just looked it up and Steelers are 14th best at avoiding 3 and outs at 19% of all drives this season. There were 36 on the season.

Steelers only had 2 3 and outs vs Dolphins but they were back to back in the 4th when the defense was most tired. The drive folllowing the 3 and outs was an INT on 3 and 8 to save going 3 and out 3 times in a row in the 4th.

Just saying... that's a great way to let a team back in a game. The Steelers don't go 3 and out often but when they do it all happens in one game, one half or even one quarter it seems.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 07:50 AM
The defense has given 133 points in the last 8 games and they have a lot of sacks and turnovers in this winning streak.

And it is despite that Tuitt missed 2 games and in its 2 games, the defense had allowed 51 points.So this is 82 points allowed(13-14 PPG) in their 6 others game with Tuitt.

Let's hope that it will continue in Kansas City, but the future is promising for this defense, but they will have to find a another OLB for the next few years, since Harrison will retire one day!

Iron Steeler
01-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Imagine if we had Cam Heyward in their as well!

Edman
01-10-2017, 09:11 AM
It's nice to have people healthy on D and not being forced to start backups.

-James Harrison is clearly still an upgrade over Jarvis Jones in every aspect.

-Bud Dupree is back and healthy, and has energized the previously dormant pass rush.

-The D-Line (sans Heyward) is healthy.

-Emergence of Sean Davis and Artie Burns. They are two special rookies who have surpassed all expectation.

-Ryan Shazier is healthy for a whole season. No flux at Linebacker.

-Losing that game in that fashion to the Cowboys has jump started the D.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 09:18 AM
And for the yards, in the 6 games with Tuitt,the highest yards totals that the Steelers have allowed in a game during our winning streak is 310 yards.

So it's not only bend but not break defense.

GBMelBlount
01-10-2017, 10:58 AM
If the offense is on they seem to feed off of them and the energy. Also they are better when they don't have to be on the field constantly after 3 and outs. Defense is a lot Improved since earlier in the season but seem like they held there own early on this year when the offense was gelling.

I have noticed this too and believe the same thing.

And since Ben sets the tempo for the offense (imo) and the defense feeds off the offense...

Ben's attitude and performance arguably affects the ENTIRE team.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Mojouw
01-10-2017, 11:40 AM
For me, the key thing is forcing turnovers. When the current offense is playing well, giving them extra possessions allows the Steelers to just bury teams. You get up 2-3 scores and now your opponent can't work their gameplan anymore. They are forced to abandon what they wanted to do and attempt to go pass heavy in a comeback mode. Then defense gets even easier - just pin your ears back and go.

Look at Sunday, Steelers go up 20-3 or whatever, and Butler just unleashed the hounds on Moore and he melted down.

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2017, 02:55 PM
And for the yards, in the 6 games with Tuitt,the highest yards totals that the Steelers have allowed in a game during our winning streak is 310 yards.

So it's not only bend but not break defense.

I always love your under the radar nuggets on the steelers. thats a really interesting one!

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 05:52 PM