PDA

View Full Version : Coates Fingers!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Since he was playing ST in the game don't think the hammy is bothering him now. What is up with his fingers and are they healed yet ? Never heard of fingers taking this long to heal ever or is he just demoted with others coming on ?

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 07:26 PM
I'd love to see Coates have some snap on offense but I would be surprised if it happens

Hopefully Green will come back or Rogers and others will be up to the challenge since Bell and Brown are going to have a lot of attention by our opponents.

Mojouw
01-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Last week or so Tomlim said they are still a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Last week or so Tomlim said they are still a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk That is wild and broke a few fingers in the past that took no longer then 4 to six weeks to heal but I refrain from using them much till they healed. Maybe he kept aggravating them and not giving them a chance to heal.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see Coates have some snap on offense but I would be surprised if it happens

Hopefully Green will come back or Rogers and others will be up to the challenge since Bell and Brown are going to have a lot of attention by our opponents. Yep would be nice to have all weapons available for the playoffs. Also weird he is okay to catch kickoffs but not balls as a wr.

Shoes
01-09-2017, 07:52 PM
That is wild and broke a few fingers in the past that took no longer then 4 to six weeks to heal but I refrain from using them much till they healed. Maybe he kept aggravating them and not giving them a chance to heal.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep would be nice to have all weapons available for the playoffs. Also weird he is okay to catch kickoffs but not balls as a wr.

Might be like Wheaton's finger issue, it plagued him all season. I believe he then had surgery in the off season

01-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Might be like Wheaton's finger issue, it plagued him all season. I believe he then had surgery in the off season Must be and if Tomlin saying he still has issues, Not sure I would want him returning kicks.

GBMelBlount
01-09-2017, 08:10 PM
That is wild and broke a few fingers in the past that took no longer then 4 to six weeks to heal but I refrain from using them much till they healed.

Maybe (Coates) kept aggravating them fingers and not giving them a chance to heal.

http://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2013104/rs_560x415-131104124556-1024.theres-something-about-mary-hair-gel-diaz.jpg

ALLD
01-09-2017, 08:13 PM
I think I figured out the problem. Coates posed for a quick picture this afternoon.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--cS3-ymUm--/c_fill,fl_progressive,g_north,h_358,q_80,w_636/18lq9aj54ii6ejpg.jpg

GBMelBlount
01-09-2017, 08:16 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5t_tgiWatvs/maxresdefault.jpg

01-09-2017, 08:41 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5t_tgiWatvs/maxresdefault.jpg Chris is awesome.

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Yeah ive broken fingers before, and if we had just sat Coates during that entire period of time since the Jets game, he would have easily been recovered and have most of the strength in his fingers by now. Coates did nothing for us during that period anyways. Makes you wonder about what could have been. He didnt play a single offensive snap against the Dolphins. Him or Green need to step up if we want to make this playoff run. At this point, im happy to take either one

SteelerFanInStl
01-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Must be and if Tomlin saying he still has issues, Not sure I would want him returning kicks.

That's the part that I don't get. Why put someone at KR who's having issues with catching the ball? It's not like as if he's a good KR anyway. Put Justin Gilbert and Ayers back there.

Iron Steeler
01-10-2017, 08:24 AM
:doh:

Born2Steel
01-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Who really knows honestly? There are as many ways his fingers could be as stars in the sky. He could have hurt 3 fingers and all 3 be a different type of injury. With that, different type of healing. Plus, everyone heals differently to some extent. If he had a 'mallet' injury it usually takes around 6 weeks. Problem is, every time you let the finger joint drop, that 6 weeks starts all over again. If the break occurred IN a joint, the bone repair may 'fuse' that joint, and require clean up after it has healed. Not to mention tendon, ligament, and nerve damage that may have also occurred. Coates is not my favorite guy on this team by a long stretch. But if his hands are not healthy, there's zero reason for him to be on the field at this time. Rogers, Hamilton, and Ayers have done just fine, IMO. DHB is available also.

Steeldude
01-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Tomlin stated his fingers are fine. Also, he couldn't catch before the injury.

Shoes
01-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Tomlin stated his fingers are fine. Also, he couldn't catch before the injury.

:chuckle:

86WARD
01-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Lol....one or two fingers?

GBMelBlount
01-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Maybe his fingers are on drugs...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ca/cb/a3/cacba3bc95d9bdca66df509b44ac8af6.jpg

cubanstogie
01-10-2017, 11:58 PM
Who really knows honestly? There are as many ways his fingers could be as stars in the sky. He could have hurt 3 fingers and all 3 be a different type of injury. With that, different type of healing. Plus, everyone heals differently to some extent. If he had a 'mallet' injury it usually takes around 6 weeks. Problem is, every time you let the finger joint drop, that 6 weeks starts all over again. If the break occurred IN a joint, the bone repair may 'fuse' that joint, and require clean up after it has healed. Not to mention tendon, ligament, and nerve damage that may have also occurred. Coates is not my favorite guy on this team by a long stretch. But if his hands are not healthy, there's zero reason for him to be on the field at this time. Rogers, Hamilton, and Ayers have done just fine, IMO. DHB is available also.
All the above receivers you mentioned have done more than Coates even when he was healthy. He is going to be like DHB, his niche will be on special teams. Next year assuming Martavis doesn't get busted smoking crack there will just not be enough touches to go around for Coates IMO. Hamilton has been a solid possession reciever and Rogers is starting to look like he might be a stud. Adios Wheaton and either Coates or DHB. I'd like to see more of Ayers but like I stated above there is only so many touches to go around with Bell, and Brown gettting most of them.

Born2Steel
01-11-2017, 08:11 AM
All the above receivers you mentioned have done more than Coates even when he was healthy. He is going to be like DHB, his niche will be on special teams. Next year assuming Martavis doesn't get busted smoking crack there will just not be enough touches to go around for Coates IMO. Hamilton has been a solid possession reciever and Rogers is starting to look like he might be a stud. Adios Wheaton and either Coates or DHB. I'd like to see more of Ayers but like I stated above there is only so many touches to go around with Bell, and Brown gettting most of them.

Agreed. FAs equal comps, and we like comps.

Mojouw
01-11-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm going to put this here again -- 61 passes for 1347 yards and six to seven touchdowns in 2016 -- that was Coates' minimal projection prior to injury based on the pace he was on. He was also leading the league at 20 or so yards per reception.

2015 Martavis Bryant - 92 targets, 50 Receptions (looks like some drops here), 765 yards, and 6 TDs with about 15 yards per catch.

Now we can argue that Bryant's misses (42 of them) were "better" misses than Coates'. Bottom line is that in his two seasons, Bryant has a catch % of a hair over 54%. Including Week 5 (the Jets game), Coates was catching just over 61% of his targets.

If you guys want to talk about the "eyeball test" and all that - fine. I agree. Bryant looks like he could be a terror and basically Randy Moss 2.0. He certainly has better hands and body control than Coates. But don't just remember the amazing stuff, remember this was the same player who was challenged publicly a few time by Ben and the coaching staff to pick his game up.

There is no way I give up on Coates if I am the Steelers. In fact, I hope the Coates we saw Weeks 1-5 reemerges ASAP. This offense would just basically need to hand out shovels to the opposing defense. That way they could dig their own graves easier.

cubanstogie
01-11-2017, 03:50 PM
I'm going to put this here again -- 61 passes for 1347 yards and six to seven touchdowns in 2016 -- that was Coates' minimal projection prior to injury based on the pace he was on. He was also leading the league at 20 or so yards per reception.

2015 Martavis Bryant - 92 targets, 50 Receptions (looks like some drops here), 765 yards, and 6 TDs with about 15 yards per catch.

Now we can argue that Bryant's misses (42 of them) were "better" misses than Coates'. Bottom line is that in his two seasons, Bryant has a catch % of a hair over 54%. Including Week 5 (the Jets game), Coates was catching just over 61% of his targets.

If you guys want to talk about the "eyeball test" and all that - fine. I agree. Bryant looks like he could be a terror and basically Randy Moss 2.0. He certainly has better hands and body control than Coates. But don't just remember the amazing stuff, remember this was the same player who was challenged publicly a few time by Ben and the coaching staff to pick his game up.

There is no way I give up on Coates if I am the Steelers. In fact, I hope the Coates we saw Weeks 1-5 reemerges ASAP. This offense would just basically need to hand out shovels to the opposing defense. That way they could dig their own graves easier.
I don't want them to give up on him either, he has had flashes. With the emergence of the other receivers though he better get moving. Thats why I say he might need that special teams niche until he develops. The other guys by the "eye ball test" all look more established. My nightmare is they let him go, Patriots sign him and he becomes a stud. ITs a great problem to have, Steelers loaded at WR, especially if Martavis has been working on his game during this year.

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2017, 04:27 PM

Agreed. I dont think its ever happening this season anymore though. I thought it was such a certainty that we would get Coates back on track last week. 2 starting safeties and the dolphins best corner out. Leveon Bell breaking franchise playoff rushing records. And Coates ends up playing ZERO offensive snaps. Seriously? Theres just no way to defend the coaching staff on this situation. I could understand Coates getting very few targets on offense last week. I could understand Coates getting very few offensive snaps last week. But literally no snaps on offense? Theres just no way to defend this anymore. Seems to me the Coates situation can be summed up as follows:

A) The coaching staff is dumb for not giving him a shot at contributing to the team anymore, especially when we cooked up a perfect storm for that last week

or

B) Coates fingers are really that fucked up, and the coaching staff and/or Coates is too stubborn to admit it and just put him on IR

Assuming we beat the chiefs, i think it could be considered a small miracle for us to be AFC/Superbowl Champs without significant contribution from Green or Coates. With one of both of them in the fold however, it would be unsurprising