PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison Tackles Father Time, Reaches Double-Digit Postseason Sacks

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 06:14 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/james-harrison-tackles-father-time-reaches-double-digit-postseason-sacks/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Butch
01-09-2017, 06:44 AM
James is a phenomenal player and a true difference maker. How in the Hell was he not on the field when the Steelers took the lead against the cowboys is beyond me. He is BIG time player who can make a BIG play any time.

teegre
01-09-2017, 04:16 PM
What is kind of impressive is that LaMarr Woodley has 11 post-season sacks.

(Deebo just got his 10th.)

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 04:18 PM

Woodley was a great player in his best years,but of course not as good like Harrison in his peak.

teegre
01-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Woodley was a great player in his best years,but of course not as good like Harrison in his peak.

Woodley was only a sack artist (pass rusher). Deebo was good at everything.

salamander
01-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Woodley was never the same after he got injured, unfortunately.

James Harrison is not human.

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2017, 06:03 PM

yeah Woodley was clutch in the postseason, we gotta give him that. Hell, i think he had one of the most overlooked plays in the superbowl in 2008. His sack/forced fumble to finish the game might have given us the win. Larry Fitzgerald was double covered in the end zone, but with the way he played that postseason, he very well could have caught another TD

Rotorhead
01-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Don't forget, Woodley benefited from having JH opposite him. When teams have to gameplan for JH, the other side gets an easier assignment!

Butch
01-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Woodley was never the same after he got injured, unfortunately.

James Harrison is not human.

He's Steeler through and through

86WARD
01-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Slower and stronger..that's how he's progressed. Still a beast!

pczach
01-09-2017, 08:59 PM
yeah Woodley was clutch in the postseason, we gotta give him that. Hell, i think he had one of the most overlooked plays in the superbowl in 2008. His sack/forced fumble to finish the game might have given us the win. Larry Fitzgerald was double covered in the end zone, but with the way he played that postseason, he very well could have caught another TD

Yeah, Woodley elevated his game in the post season. He was beastly for a number of years.

It's a shame he fell off the way he did between the injuries and the weight issue. He really did have some great years and was awesome at playoff time.

When he and Harrison were both at their best, the defense didn't need to rely on scheme to fool people and get pressure. They just lined up and dominated offenses.

LloydWoodson
01-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Woodley was only a sack artist (pass rusher). Deebo was good at everything.

I have to disagree. Woodley was outstanding at contain and setting the edge and he dropped in coverage ALMOST as much as Debo. Woodley and Harrison were both passable in coverage but not terrific.

Before Woodley's hamstring issues he was great all-around.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Starkey’s Mailbag: What is LaMarr Woodley’s Steelers legacy

All of which, believe it or not, leads me to LaMarr Woodley. I can’t help it. I just saw his name at No. 5 among Steelers all-time sack leaders, and I feel like he deserves more credit, even if he did expand faster than the Big Ten Conference the minute he signed that fat new contract.

All you need to know is that the top five postseason sack leaders of ALL-TIME read like this:

Player...Games...Sacks

1. Willie McGinest...18...16.0

2. Bruce Smith...20...14.5

3. Terrell Suggs...17...12.5

4. Reggie White...19...12.0

5. LaMarr Woodley...8...11.0

6. Charles Haley...21...11.0

7. Clay Matthews...13...11.0

That’s right: 11 sacks in just eight games, one of which he did not start! Compare that to Hall of Famer Kevin Greene, who had all of 1.5 sacks in six playoff games with the Steelers. Greene, by the way, is willing to take Joey Porter’s place on the coaching staff. He tweeted the following to @Steelersdepot : “If My Steelers need me, I’m there,” he wrote, failing to add, “except in playoff games during my career.”

I’m not saying LaMarr Woodley is a Hall of Famer, by any means. I’m just saying he should be remembered as a guy who brought it, big-time, when the chips were down. Playing on James Harrison’s opposite side sure helped. Harrison has 10 playoff sacks, and counting, in 17 games. But Woodley did his own work.

I feel quite comfortable saying Super Bowl No. 6 doesn’t happen without LaMarr Woodley. Never forget that. He had six sacks in three playoff games that year. Two in each game, or one for every Chris Mueller who writes sports for the Beaver County Times.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2017/01/10/Starkey-s-Mailbag-What-is-LaMarr-Woodley-s-Steelers-legacy-and-how-many-Chris-Muellers-are-too-many/stories/201701100154

Mojouw
01-10-2017, 03:35 PM
One day I would like to hear Woodley speak honestly about what happened to his NFL career. Was it trouble keeping his weight down because he should've been a 4-3 end? I look at all of the soft tissue injuries and I have to wonder about a guy who was assiting his body in training or weight issues that had a terrible outcome for his body...

It just seems weird that he just started getting hurt and couldn't stop. I don't buy that he didn't work hard after his contract, nothing before than gave any indication that was his MO

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 03:37 PM
One day I would like to hear Woodley speak honestly about what happened to his NFL career. Was it trouble keeping his weight down because he should've been a 4-3 end? I look at all of the soft tissue injuries and I have to wonder about a guy who was assiting his body in training or weight issues that had a terrible outcome for his body...

It just seems weird that he just started getting hurt and couldn't stop. I don't buy that he didn't work hard after his contract, nothing before than gave any indication that was his MO

Yeah, I remember in the first half of the season in 2011, Woodley was dominant and 4 of his games were without Harrison but he had an injury against the pats and it was the end for him.

fansince'76
01-10-2017, 03:55 PM
The board truncates the thread title to "James Harrison Tackles Father." :lol:

Steeldude
01-10-2017, 04:14 PM

It helps when you are blocked by a TE or RB while Harrison is being doubled.

fansince'76
01-10-2017, 04:19 PM

Dong sacks! :chuckle:

teegre
01-10-2017, 04:47 PM

True... but... I'd gladly take those 2 sacks/game for the playoffs.

Dong sacks... Woodendong sacks... Worildong sacks... any & all types of sacks.

Born2Steel
01-10-2017, 04:51 PM
True... but... I'd gladly take those 2 sacks/game for the playoffs.

Dong sacks... Woodendong sacks... Worildong sacks... any & all types of sacks.

I like to call that 'TEAM' sacks. Do you take one away if it's a "coverage" sack? Nobody will get there by himself. It's all about the team effort.

teegre
01-10-2017, 04:53 PM
I like to call that 'TEAM' sacks. Do you take one away if it's a "coverage" sack? Nobody will get there by himself. It's all about the team effort.

I've always felt the same way.

If the QB gets tackled before he gets rid of the ball, I don't care if it is because he was staring at a butterfly. A sack is a loss of a down and it is good.

polamalubeast
01-15-2017, 10:20 PM
Another great game for him!

tube517
01-15-2017, 10:46 PM
He'll get another piss test this week.....

86WARD
01-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Maybe two...

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 06:31 PM

hawaiiansteeler
01-31-2017, 06:15 PM
https://pics.onsizzle.com/nfl-im-not-done-james-harrison-nfl-at-38-years-12758206.png