PDA

View Full Version : How come no roll outs for Dixon?

Burghfan58
09-13-2010, 09:43 AM
I realize the o-line was doing an adequate job but I would of liked seeing Dixon roll out a few times. It seems to me it opens up the field and keeps the D off balance. Dixon has some wheels you may as well let him use them. Could be they were playing it safe and don't want to chance him getting hurt. Cut the guy loose B.A.

Steeltreal
09-13-2010, 10:02 AM
They kept it basic against a smaller defense they knew they could pound. With 3 games to go there are chances to run designed QB runs and roll outs. Hopefully they're saving it all for the Ravens.

steeldevil
09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
They kept it basic against a smaller defense they knew they could pound. With 3 games to go there are chances to run designed QB runs and roll outs. Hopefully they're saving it all for the Ravens.

I also would like to see some designed runs for Dixon. I assume Arians is saving those plays for the Titans and Ravens as well.

HometownGal
09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I realize the o-line was doing an adequate job but I would of liked seeing Dixon roll out a few times. It seems to me it opens up the field and keeps the D off balance. Dixon has some wheels you may as well let him use them. Could be they were playing it safe and don't want to chance him getting hurt. Cut the guy loose B.A.

I don't think Tomlin and BA wanted to throw Dixon to the wolves in the first game of the season and second start of his career. They kept it pretty simple which I thought was a good thing overall. I much preferred seeing Dixon do what most QB's do instead of running around like a chicken with his head cut off and risking injury. Sure - let him take off once in a while but as I've said in several threads - he really needs to learn how to step up in that pocket, check down all of his receivers instead of just one and work more diligently with the coaches on being able to properly read a defense.

memphissteelergirl
09-13-2010, 03:05 PM
I guess I sorta agree with not shouldering DD with too much too soon, but there were times that I wish BA coulda let him loose (like maybe on a Wildcat formation) and let us see what he could do. The guy is obviously a talented player...I would like to see his strengths used a little more, that's all.

Chidi29
09-13-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't think it was an issue of us putting too much on his shoulders. It isn't exactly an overcomplicated play. And we did run it a few times. I think that was the first pass play we ran. Rollout and hit Heath in the flats.

The bigger issue is how risky the play is. Especially with Biermann, a better pass rusher, starting over Anderson at LE. By rolling out to Flozell's side (You're always going to roll out strong side so you can throw it to Heath as either your primary or secondary option), you're running the risk of the end being right in Dixon's face coming off the rollout if he gets a good jump to the outside against the slower footed Adams. That's going to create sacks and turnovers. You're also taking away half the field, and we've seen Dixon wrongly throw across his body. Remember the TD to Holmes against Baltimore? Yeah, it was a score, but he also threw across the field. Do that enough times and you're going to get burned by a safety baiting you.

I really don't see the need for a rollout. I'd rather just have him drop back or run regular playaction.