PDA

View Full Version : Divisional Round: Kansas City Chiefs

Pages : [1] 2

Edman
01-08-2017, 03:30 PM
The joke is out of the way. Now for the real deal. KC is much better than Miami.

Steelers are heading out on the road going into one of the toughest places to play. Arrowhead Stadium against the Chiefs. KC is likely out for some revenge for the SNF beating.

There will be no 43-14 this time around, that's for certain.

Really sucks that the two biggest threats to NE are playing in the Divisional Round, while NE is going to be facing Assweiler.

Count Steeler
01-08-2017, 03:38 PM
It is simple. Have to win the LOS.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 03:38 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/2016.htm

st33lersguy
01-08-2017, 03:46 PM
The attitude KC will have entering this game will rival that of what the Steelers had today. And Tyreek Hill against Danny Smith's special teams is a concern. Still though, with the 3 Bs, this team will be a tough out for anyone

Born2Steel
01-08-2017, 03:47 PM
If the defense plays the way they played today, I really like our chances at KC. With Bell and Brown healthy, plus Rogers and Hamilton made some important catches, we will score. 92, 48, 94, 50, 31, 28, 79, 91, heck even 95 got in a good play.

Rotorhead
01-08-2017, 03:47 PM
At least Houston's Defense is good and can put the pressure on, but honestly I don't think Houston has any chance at all against them. It will be a tougher game for us for sure. KC started putting up some big pass plays later this season. If we can stop that and the short passing game, we should be fine on Def. As for our offense, I am not sure they have the def to match up to us, especially with the rookies stepping it up. Should have our TE back for a middle of the field threat. I think Miami's DL is better than KC's so I think our OL will be fine. We should be able to put over 100yds on the ground also. Going to be a tougher game for sure.

Count Steeler
01-08-2017, 03:48 PM
The attitude KC will have entering this game will rival that of what the Steelers had today. And Tyreek Hill against Danny Smith's special teams is a concern. Still though, with the 3 Bs, this team will be a tough out for anyone

I agree. We have to get off to another good start, or be able to keep them from getting any kind of momentum.

pczach
01-08-2017, 04:22 PM
The joke is out of the way. Now for the real deal. KC is much better than Miami.

Steelers are heading out on the road going into one of the toughest places to play. Arrowhead Stadium against the Chiefs. KC is likely out for some revenge for the SNF beating.

There will be no 43-14 this time around, that's for certain.

Really sucks that the two biggest threats to NE are playing in the Divisional Round, while NE is going to be facing Assweiler.

The amazing thing is that Houston's defense is the real deal. The have guys that can rush the passer and guys that can cover.

If Assweiler :toofunny:can do something....anything to put some points up in this game, the Texans are dangerous. He needs to play out of his ass and over his head to win. I don't see it, but stranger things have happened.

You never know. Brady could get something snapped in this game against that defense. It seems we are always playing playoff games with huge injuries to our best players. The Tapriots are not the same without Gronk against good defenses. Let's hope for a miracle.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 04:23 PM
The Texans have no chance next week....Their offense is horrible.

salamander
01-08-2017, 04:27 PM
This game scares me. You know damn well KC will be looking for redemption the same way we were today.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Double team Justin Houston, even if its just a little chip block from our 2nd guy. Tyreek Hill didnt emerge yet last time around. Getting Vince Williams back (hopefully) will be huge for the special teams. If we need to kick shorter, but with greater hang time, im completely in favor of it.

Ben has been pretty shitty on the road and he's about to play in the loudest stadium out there. Time to get it together Ben, we need you...do you want to shut up the haters once and for all or not? We need to be able to transition well between the run and pass to complement each other. The passing game was pretty poor against a bad dolphins defense is were being honest with ourselves. And they were short 3 out of 4 of their starting secondary. How did we not take advantage of that, especially with Bell running wild?

I have the utmost confidence in our run defense and we'll get some depth back in Mathews by next week probably. Dare Alex Smith to beat us.

If we get up early like we did against the Dolphins, the chiefs are toast. No way are they built for that, and if they try, they're going to go at it towards Hill.

- - - Updated - - -

Eric Berry and Jeremy Maclin being questionable is huge for us. We ought to use aggressive press coverage against Kelce again. Chiefs might be missing their starting ILB as well

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Double team Justin Houston, even if its just a little chip block from our 2nd guy. Tyreek Hill didnt emerge yet last time around. Getting Vince Williams back (hopefully) will be huge for the special teams. If we need to kick shorter, but with greater hang time, im completely in favor of it.

Ben has been pretty shitty on the road and he's about to play in the loudest stadium out there. Time to get it together Ben, we need you...do you want to shut up the haters once and for all or not? We need to be able to transition well between the run and pass to complement each other. The passing game was pretty poor against a bad dolphins defense is were being honest with ourselves. And they were short 3 out of 4 of their starting secondary. How did we not take advantage of that, especially with Bell running wild?

I have the utmost confidence in our run defense and we'll get some depth back in Mathews by next week probably. Dare Alex Smith to beat us.

If we get up early like we did against the Dolphins, the chiefs are toast. No way are they built for that, and if they try, they're going to go at it towards Hill.

Ben took advantage of the secondary of the dolphins in the first half(11/12 2 TD,1 INT for about 160 yards) ...

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Ben took advantage of the secondary of the dolphins in the first half(11/12 2 TD,1 INT for about 160 yards) ...

Ben was 1/6 for 14 yards, and 2 interceptions starting late in the 2nd quarter. Which was coincidentally right around where we thought it was a good idea to run Bell into a wall without the assistance of any early down passes/play action passes. Wasted opportunities that never came close to mattering in what was thankfully a very satisfying blowout. We wont be so lucky for the rest of the playoffs

Craic
01-08-2017, 05:04 PM
This game scares me. You know damn well KC will be looking for redemption the same way we were today.

I think it two different scenarios. That was a game where we played bad in a game we very well could and probably should have won. We beat ourselves so there's little to do but determine to prove it. For KC, however, the kick the head in that game can't be so easily dismissed. If we get rolling at all against them, it's going to be difficult to get the previous game out of their heads and for them not to think, "here we go again."

Ben was 1/6 for 14 yards, and 2 interceptions starting late in the 2nd quarter. Which was coincidentally right around where we thought it was a good idea to run Bell into a wall without the assistance of any early down passes/play action passes. Wasted opportunities that never came close to mattering in what was thankfully a very satisfying blowout. We wont be so lucky for the rest of the playoffs

I don't believe that is comparable. We were up by three scores already and decided to start bleeding the clock already. Doing so allowed Ben and Brown to get a little cold and out of rhythm, which is find in the given scenario. IMO, had the score been closer, we would have seen a different Ben and Brown at the end of the second quarter and throughout the second half. But, as it was, we were already in "closing it out" mode. With the D and how they are playing right now, that is absolutely fine.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 05:06 PM

Each game is different

The steelers will never be perfect, but they are able to find a way to win.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Ben was 1/6 for 14 yards, and 2 interceptions starting late in the 2nd quarter.

One of those was a drop. Actually two of those, including one pick, was a drop.

SteelMayhem72
01-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Ben in a boot this week...if KC stops our run...not good for us!! Only saving grace is our D is playing well and if they can get points we will always stand a chance

ALLD
01-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Ben can't make dumb throw against the Chiefs and expect to win. Bring in more Rogers screens and play action to Bell out of the backfield.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Ben in a boot this week...if KC stops our run...not good for us!! Only saving grace is our D is playing well and if they can get points we will always stand a chance

fansince'76
01-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Ben can't make dumb throw against the Chiefs and expect to win. Bring in more Rogers screens and play action to Bell out of the backfield.

But those are "game manager" passes. Still SMH at that one...

86WARD
01-08-2017, 05:35 PM
I have very little,confidence the Steelers win this game. On the road...ON THE ROAD is the first problem. The Steelers destroyed them the first time they played...the Chiefs are seeking revenge...in the exact same way the Steelers were seeking it today. The Chiefs are leaps and bounds a better team than the Dolphins and they match up well against the Steelers. They may squeak out a win but it's not going to be by much...I'm leaning more towards a loss here though...

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 05:40 PM
I have very little,confidence the Steelers win this game. On the road...ON THE ROAD is the first problem. The Steelers destroyed them the first time they played...the Chiefs are seeking revenge...in the exact same way the Steelers were seeking it today. The Chiefs are leaps and bounds a better team than the Dolphins and they match up well against the Steelers. They may squeak out a win but it's not going to be by much...I'm leaning more towards a loss here though...

Not true in bold

The Chiefs are not very good against the run....24th or 25th I think, so the chiefs are probably very afraid of Bell.

The chiefs are not in the top 20 for yards in offense and defense, the reason for their 12-4 record is the turnovers, so if the steelers do not lose the battle turnovers, the steelers have a very good chance of winning.

fansince'76
01-08-2017, 05:48 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs will host the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Divisional Round of the NFL Playoffs. According to Westgate’s Jeff Sherman, the Steelers enter the matchup as 1.5 point road favorites after being favored by 2.5 points in the opening line. The over-under opens at 46.5 points.

http://heavy.com/sports/2017/01/kansas-city-chiefs-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-odds-point-spread-who-is-favored-playoff-game-betting-guide-vegas-preview-ats-latest-opening-over-under-point-total/

:noidea:

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 05:51 PM
http://heavy.com/sports/2017/01/kansas-city-chiefs-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-odds-point-spread-who-is-favored-playoff-game-betting-guide-vegas-preview-ats-latest-opening-over-under-point-total/

:noidea:

The steelers were favorite by 12 points against Miami.

pczach
01-08-2017, 06:01 PM
I think it two different scenarios. That was a game where we played bad in a game we very well could and probably should have won. We beat ourselves so there's little to do but determine to prove it. For KC, however, the kick the head in that game can't be so easily dismissed. If we get rolling at all against them, it's going to be difficult to get the previous game out of their heads and for them not to think, "here we go again."

I don't believe that is comparable. We were up by three scores already and decided to start bleeding the clock already. Doing so allowed Ben and Brown to get a little cold and out of rhythm, which is find in the given scenario. IMO, had the score been closer, we would have seen a different Ben and Brown at the end of the second quarter and throughout the second half. But, as it was, we were already in "closing it out" mode. With the D and how they are playing right now, that is absolutely fine.

The other thing is how AB played after the first quarter. The first interception went right through his hands. He then dropped another perfectly thrown ball on a crossing patter with nobody in front of him, then on the very next play, was open down the sideline. Ben threw the ball deep and AB never saw it. When do you ever see that from him?

This bashing of Ben is getting tiresome. Nobody else ever gets blamed. No matter how many passes AB drops or wrong routes or lack of effort in blocking....he's the man.

I'll say this though. Did you see AB block today? He made a real effort to block today. He stuck his nose in there and stuck with blocks that helped the running game. That's the kind of stuff people should notice if they were really watching today.

Let's not put everything on Ben here guys.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2017, 06:03 PM
But those are "game manager" passes. Still SMH at that one...

Are you going to insist on using hyperbole outside of context or use a calculated retort towards disagreeing with other people? Ben's successful passes today were all easy wide open throws: screens, slants, and curls. My criticism was the fact that that was ALL we were successful at doing through the air today, NOT the fact that we were doing them. Play selection was extremely shallow for a very undermanned dolphins defense missing 3 of its 4 starters in the secondary. And I also complained about the lack of play action passes not just today, but in recent years. Ben has been one of the best PA throwers since he came into the league and we have the best back in the league running wild. Am i supposed to feel foolish for feeling that way?

Again, I would welcome an actual discussion versus the "ughhh, leave Ben alone" routine

We WILL lose against New England if we get sloppy Ben. If we get that far.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Ben has been pretty shitty on the road and he's about to play in the loudest stadium out there. Time to get it together Ben, we need you...do you want to shut up the haters once and for all or not?

Any "Ben Hater" who's in his own fan base? Well, I'll use this picture as to how I feel about them.

https://a4-images.myspacecdn.com/images03/1/f58c67cfdc5d4bb0afa19186c8438c02/300x300.jpg

fansince'76
01-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Are you going to insist on using hyperbole outside of context or use a calculated retort towards disagreeing with other people? Ben's successful passes today were all easy wide open throws: screens, slants, and curls. My criticism was the fact that that was ALL we were successful at doing through the air today, NOT the fact that we were doing them. Play selection was extremely shallow for a very undermanned dolphins defense missing 3 of its 4 starters in the secondary. And I also complained about the lack of play action passes not just today, but in recent years. Ben has been one of the best PA throwers since he came into the league and we have the best back in the league running wild. Am i supposed to feel foolish for feeling that way?

Again, I would welcome an actual discussion versus the "ughhh, leave Ben alone" routine

We WILL lose against New England if we get sloppy Ben. If we get that far.

Isn't one of the biggest criticisms against him that he doesn't take what other teams give him and tries to force things? Then when he does take what other teams give him, he gets his ass ridden for making "game manager throws." I've said for years that by and large, Yinzer Nation doesn't deserve him and we'll see how much more he's appreciated when we wind up with another bum like Kordell Stewart that one-hops passes in the dirt in front of wide open receivers when he isn't throwing it directly to the other team. I stand by that assertion.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Isn't one of the biggest criticisms against him that he doesn't take what other teams give him and tries to force things? Then when he does take what other teams give him, he gets his ass ridden for making "game manager throws." I've said for years that by and large, Yinzer Nation doesn't deserve him and we'll see how much more he's appreciated when we wind up with another bum like Kordell Stewart that one-hops passes in the dirt in front of wide open receivers when he isn't throwing it directly to the other team. I stand by that assertion.

i already explained this. the "game manager throws" isnt a complaint to stop using those throws if theyre working. i said that because i was perplexed by why people were so amazed at what Ben did for the 1st quarter and a half of the game. Our offensive gameplan for the other 2.5 quarters was rather strange wouldnt you say? Did the dolphins not give us great play action pass opportunities which we refused to utilize? Do we not have arguably the best play action passer in the game in Ben? We had great opportunities that will cost us in the AFCCG and beyond if we make it that far. Our imperfections, win or lose, are opportunities to improve. Hell, regarding the play action passes i didnt even put it all on Ben. there are days where im trying to figure out what players im allowed to say anything at least somewhat negative about. You havent addressed any of my points above yet and that doesnt exactly make for much of an interesting discussion.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Any motherfucker that doesn't appreciate what Ben has brought to this team deserves to watch Kordell's 2001 BS "Pro Bowl season".

Where after five games he had as many TD passes....as Jerome Bettis!

SteelMayhem72
01-08-2017, 06:30 PM
i cant ever read these...how do i open them up...it says tweet and i do have a twitter acct

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 06:40 PM
refresh

st33lersguy
01-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Saw on facebook Ben running off the field after today's win

Mojouw
01-08-2017, 07:18 PM
PHill and Kelsey are scary for this defense. Anyone wanna see LBs. chasing Hill in coverage? Worked briefly against Miami, but Kelce and Hill will just run right by that. Last time out Gilbert was used as a gimmick to contain Kelce but there was no Marlin or Hill.

teegre
01-08-2017, 07:30 PM
As I stated before the Ravens game, chip the OLB (Suggs then, Houston now) on every single play.

Likewise, as long as BB, Bell, & AB are clicking, no team can keep up. The 43-10 ass-whooping was more of an abortion than the norm, but it shows what the Killer B's can indeed do.

I respect the hell out of KC, but I'm not scared of them. Last season, without BB, we went into their house and had an opportunity to win. It came down to six consecutive series:

Steelers force a punt.
Landry Jones misses D.Will for a walk-in TD.

Steelers force another punt.
D.Will doesn't convert on 4th-&-1.

Steelers force a punt.
Landry Jones throws an INT.

salamander
01-08-2017, 07:30 PM
https://twitter.com/T_Mitch39/status/818267758538399744?s=09

(My apologies, I'm not sure how to properly post a tweet from my phone)

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 07:42 PM
As I stated before the Ravens game, chip the OLB (Suggs then, Houston now) on every single play.

Likewise, as long as BB, Bell, & AB are clicking, no team can keep up. The 43-10 ass-whooping was more of an abortion than the norm, but it shows what the Killer B's can indeed do.

I respect the hell out of KC, but I'm not scared of them. Last season, without BB, we went into their house and had an opportunity to win. It came down to six consecutive series:

Steelers force a punt.
Landry Jones misses D.Will for a walk-in TD.

Steelers force another punt.
D.Will doesn't convert on 4th-&-1.

Steelers force a punt.
Landry Jones throws an INT.

This

no matter against who we play, this is not the time to be scared

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2017, 07:42 PM
PHill and Kelsey are scary for this defense. Anyone wanna see LBs. chasing Hill in coverage? Worked briefly against Miami, but Kelce and Hill will just run right by that. Last time out Gilbert was used as a gimmick to contain Kelce but there was no Marlin or Hill.

Houston wasnt there last time either. Jeremy Maclin and Eric Berry are questionable for the game. Were really going to need Green/Coates to emerge for this one. Disappointed that we didnt even test the deep middle of the dolphins defense

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Hardly ever do. Only people we use over the middle mostly are tight ends.

Haley wants deep outside because his thinking is if it's not caught chances are it's thrown out of bounds.

teegre
01-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Disappointed that we didnt even test the deep middle of the dolphins defense

They didn't need to (so, they saved it).

SteelerCountry58
01-08-2017, 07:48 PM
KC is tough at home no doubt but we will take them OUT!

GoSlash27
01-08-2017, 08:08 PM
I think I'm with the majority on this one. KC will be loud and cold. Their defense is the real deal and they'll be playing with an edge looking for redemption. If we can win this game, I think we have what it takes to win it all.

SteelMayhem72
01-08-2017, 08:13 PM
I think I'm with the majority on this one. KC will be loud and cold. Their defense is the real deal and they'll be playing with an edge looking for redemption. If we can win this game, I think we have what it takes to win it all.
as of right now snow is in the forecaat there

SteelMayhem72
01-08-2017, 08:14 PM
as of right now snow is in the forecaat there

im talking for next sunday

The Bark
01-08-2017, 08:18 PM
I think the best think KC has going for them is it's a home game. Their schedule didn't really scream them being a #2 seed by any means and dare I say Alex Smith is comparable to Tyrod Taylor. Their defense, though having a few great players, wasn't exactly anything to write home about this year, either.

teegre
01-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Math

2015 @ KC
Chiefs 23
Steelers 13

2016 @ home
Chiefs 10
Steelers 43

Total / average
Chiefs 33 / 16.5
Steelers 56 / 28

Born2Steel
01-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Math

2015 @ KC
Chiefs 23
Steelers 13

2016 @ home
Chiefs 10
Steelers 43

Total / average
Chiefs 33 / 16.5
Steelers 56 / 28

I was told there would be no math.

teegre
01-08-2017, 08:27 PM
I was told there would be no math.

You WIN!!! :alcohol:

I use that quote all of the time.

st33lersguy
01-08-2017, 08:27 PM
One thing to note, Andy Reid 19-2 coming off byes, including 3-0 coming off playoff byes. That's one thing other than Tyreek Hill vs Danny Smith's special teams and KC playing at home that is going in KC's favor

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2017, 09:19 PM
They didn't need to (so, they saved it).

save it for what? you think opposing defensive coordinators are going to be learning something drastically new about this team if we started using play action passes against a team missing 3 out of 4 secondary starters when Bell is running for almost 6 YPC?

teegre
01-08-2017, 09:29 PM
save it for what? you think opposing defensive coordinators are going to be learning something drastically new about this team if we started using play action passes against a team missing 3 out of 4 secondary starters when Bell is running for almost 6 YPC?

My point is: they didn't need to try a deep pass to Coates, because AB = two TDs, and Bell = two TDs.

If AB and Bell are clicking, I'm not looking at ANYONE else. Capiche?

Craic
01-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Yes.

They can learn tendencies of when it might or might not be called. They can learn how a WR or RB might unconsciously set up differently and tip off the other team. They can learn to be aware that it may be coming on certain plays or certain downs. They can learn out of which formations we like to run a play action.

If we don't need it, then don't show it.

Born2Steel
01-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Running Bell and the screen passes seemed to be working just fine. Keep doing what works until they stop it. They never stopped it. Plus, did you notice the wind gusts? Moore's passes were to the sidelines also. Wind was murder for deep middle passes today.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2017, 09:54 PM
^see but all of this appears to assume (let me know if im wrong) that our lack of play action passes when were having success on the ground is an anomaly. Its not. We've been doing this all season. I do hope we can count on the game plan to use some PA when Bell is running the way he is during this win streak. If were 'saving it' for anybody, please oh please let it be the patriots. Not gonna lie, if we get that far, i dont want to just beat them, i want them to be humiliated horribly.

Born2Steel
01-08-2017, 09:56 PM
We're humiliating EVERYONE this post season. Thank you Broncos for holding on to our trophy for us.

teegre
01-08-2017, 09:59 PM
^see but all of this appears to assume (let me know if im wrong) that our lack of play action passes when were having success on the ground is an anomaly. Its not. We've been doing this all season. I do hope we can count on the game plan to use some PA when Bell is running the way he is during this win streak. If were 'saving it' for anybody, please oh please let it be the patriots. Not gonna lie, if we get that far, i dont want to just beat them, i want them to be humiliated horribly.

Ah... my bad.

I thought that you were asking solely about deep targets to Coates (not about play-action). I, too, wonder why more play-action isn't used.

I'm hoping for any kind of victory over the Chiefs... followed by an 8-touchdown game by BB (against the Taperiots).

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 10:00 PM
I will be so happy even if the steelers won by 1 point in NE.

Born2Steel
01-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Just throwing this out there....are we thinking the Texans have absolutely zero chance? I'm not so sure about that. I'll still pick NE to win next week, but the Texans defense is real. This could be an interesting game.

We could host the AFCCG. How cool would that be?

teegre
01-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Just throwing this out there....are we thinking the Texans have absolutely zero chance? I'm not so sure about that. I'll still pick NE to win next week, but the Texans defense is real. This could be an interesting game.

The NYGiants beat the Taperiots twice (in the post season) by getting pressure on Brady.

That defense can indeed do it... as long as Osweiler doesn't give the game away.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 10:08 PM

The problem of Houston is that they have the worst offense in the last 10 years to make the playoffs and you can't beat the pats without offense.

Personally, I want to beat the Patriots on their field, but we have to beat the Chiefs before that.

Born2Steel
01-08-2017, 10:14 PM
The problem of Houston is that they have the worst offense in the last 10 years to make the playoffs and you can't beat the pats without offense.

Personally, I want to beat the Patriots on their field, but we have to beat the Chiefs before that.

To be the best, you have to beat the best? I can't argue against that. How about this. Avenge the loss to Miami, win on the road at KC, avenge the loss to NE, avenge the loss to Dallas. Revenge for earlier this season as well as '95. That would leave only the Eagles loss to avenge at a later time.

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2017, 10:24 PM
To be the best, you have to beat the best? I can't argue against that. How about this. Avenge the loss to Miami, win on the road at KC, avenge the loss to NE, avenge the loss to Dallas. Revenge for earlier this season as well as '95. That would leave only the Eagles loss to avenge at a later time.

Id prefer the packers to avenge for the superbowl loss

BigBen2004
01-09-2017, 02:41 AM
Don't know how I feel about this one.
KC is going to be extra motivated, off a bye, and at home. Gulp.

But, this team has a resiliency it didn't have in 2014 or 2015. They're never out of it. They've really put things together. It would be so painful to see them lose in the divisional round, again. The talent is there. We've fallen twice in a row. It's time for the bounce back. Third times a charm, right?

We'll be underdogs. Our defense will still be talked about all week, in a negative light. All of the analysts will say KC is the more complete team and Ben's "injury" will hamper us....
But damnit, I'm taking the Steelers to win this game. I'm following my heart here.

teegre
01-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Here's the thing...

Teams used to talk about how they'd gameplan away from Troy & Harrison. Yet, when the spotlights came on, those two always made splash plays... because they were simply more talented than anyone else on the field.

Likewise, teams can talk about stopping BB, Bell, & AB, but they are simply more talented than anyone else on the field. As I've posted for months now, when those three are clicking, no one else can keep up.

Edman
01-09-2017, 06:43 AM
But, this team has a resiliency it didn't have in 2014 or 2015.

The 2015 Team went four weeks without Ben, pulled a big comeback over the Broncos at Heinz, Lost Le'Veon Bell the rest of the season, and still made the playoffs and took the Champion Broncos to the brink in Denver, only to be done in by Toussaint's fumble.

The 2014 and 2015 teams had horrid luck with injuries at the worst possible time. Sunday's game was the first time we've had the Killer B's at once, and the first time we've had Bell for a playoff game.

I tell people that if they thought Le'Veon Bell wouldn't have made a difference against the Ravens and Broncos, you're kidding your self. They caught as serious break those years.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 06:48 AM
The 2015 Team went four weeks without Ben, pulled a big comeback over the Broncos at Heinz, Lost Le'Veon Bell the rest of the season, and still made the playoffs and took the Champion Broncos to the brink in Denver, only to be done in by Toussaint's fumble.

Last years' team was plenty resilient, the loss of their best players just finished them off.

This is true that the 2015 team was very resilient.

So many injuries, but they never give up.I never saw the steelers give up when they had adversity under Tomlin.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 08:49 AM

fansince'76
01-09-2017, 08:52 AM
So many injuries, but they never give up.I never saw the steelers give up when they had adversity under Tomlin.

Me neither. When they started out 0-4 in 2013, they could have easily just did what the Texans did that season and tank the rest of the way for the highest draft pick possible. Instead, they rallied to go 8-8 and came within a cat's whisker of making the playoffs.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Roethlisberger thinks Steelers will correct 2nd-half shortcomings

For more than 29 minutes Sunday, Ben Roethlisberger was perfect.

The Steelers quarterback completed his first 11 throws in a windy stadium, set a Steelers playoff record with 162 first-quarter yards, and almost reached halftime with a perfect passer rating in a 30-12 playoff victory over the Miami Dolphins at Heinz Field.

He connected twice with Antonio Brown for first-quarter touchdowns of 50 and 62 yards.

Yet, despite all of his offense's early successes, Roethlisberger expressed concern that the passing game “lacked a little detail” after halftime when the Steelers were held to 10 second-half points.

“I think we can be better,” he said after the wild-card win. “I think it's a little bit of a false positive, if you will, because you start out so well. We went down and scored the first three series, and you're kind of doing whatever we wanted to *— and that's a really good defense, especially their front seven and their line.

“I don't know what it was, but it will be addressed this week. I won't say ‘addressed,' that sounds so harsh, but we will talk about it.”

read more

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11751745-74/roethlisberger-yards-steelers

tube517
01-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Me neither. When they started out 0-4 in 2013, they could have easily just did what the Texans did that season and tank the rest of the way for the highest draft pick possible. Instead, they rallied to go 8-8 and came within a cat's whisker of making the playoffs.

After that 0-4 start, Tomlin has gone 40-20 since (regular season).

Born2Steel
01-09-2017, 09:51 AM
I'm thinking we see more of that 'Jumbo' package this week. Ben can still throw from it, and Bell can definitely run behind it.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Steelers' James Harrison on Chiefs: 'We played them this year?'

James Harrison has played in many NFL games — 204 of them including playoffs, to be exact — so we understand if he forgets some details about a few.

But we find it hard to believe the Steelers linebacker "didn't know" Pittsburgh played and beat Kansas City in Week 4 this season. Harrison logged two tackles in that game, a 43-14 Steelers home win on Sunday Night Football.

Sunday's divisional playoff game will be in Kansas City, though, since the Chiefs entered the postseason as the AFC's No. 2 seed and the Steelers its No. 3 seed.

Harrison on Sunday was asked about the October Chiefs game in relation to the rematch, and the 38-year-old acted like he had no idea it would indeed be a rematch.

read more

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/james-harrison-steelers-chiefs-rematch-video-comments-afc-divisional-playoffs/h6d1xm9vpsn61qqhzxqdomln7

steelerdude15
01-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Here are some of the numbers on the Chiefs' defense from this past regular season:

They had the 24th overall defense, 18th passing defense that allowed 247.4 yards per game, and the 26th rushing defense that gave up 121.1 yards per game on the ground.

The Chiefs defense did have 18 interceptions, but only produced 27 sacks.

Without a lot of knowledge and other information on the Chiefs defense, I think the Steelers should run the ball for majority of the game with a 6th lineman. Just let Le'Veon do what he does. I'd also try to stay away from Marcus Peters because this guy is the real deal.

Here is another thing. The Chiefs were 6-2 this past regular season, but they beat the Chargers (5-11), Jets (5-11), Saints (7-9), Jaguars (3-13) four 4 of those victories while also losing to the Titans and Bucs at home, which neither team made the playoffs. The Steelers can do this.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 10:14 AM
I'd also try to stay away from Marcus Peters because this guy is the real deal

Yes but if Antonio Brown is one on one against Peters, I think Brown can win this matchup.

steelerdude15
01-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Yes but if Antonio Brown is one on one against Peters, I think Brown can win this matchup.

I would imagine that the Chiefs would try to have double coverage on Antonio. I think it would be foolish on their part to have single coverage on him because we all know the damage he can do in single coverage.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 11:37 AM
RUN Le'Veon RUN!

BigBen2004
01-09-2017, 12:51 PM
The 2015 outfit was resilient, but this team seems different.

Final three games of the season were comeback victories. Even in a meaningless game with our backups, they fought back.

Health is the major factor here, yes. But, let's not pretend this team doesn't have "special" feel to them.

Method28
01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Reid said "everyone who banged up is good to go."

Houston, Ware specifically. Lets see about Berry.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

GBMelBlount
01-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Final three games of the season were comeback victories. Even in a meaningless game with our backups, they fought back.

Health is the major factor here, yes. But, let's not pretend this team doesn't have "special" feel to them.

I agree.

And they are most certainly peaking at the right time.

It is amazing to see how far they have come from the 4-5 "sky is falling" middle of the season.

Moose
01-09-2017, 02:12 PM
I think for the Steeler's to win at K.C. the things the team needs to do are: 1) Kick everything out of bounds (Hill will kill the special team), 2) Pass rush, pass rush and pass rush, and 3) Special team needs to learn what they are supposed to do...cover and TACKLE person with ball or trying to get ball.

teegre
01-09-2017, 02:18 PM
RUN Le'Veon RUN!

Darren Sproles would have had 1,003 yards.

Shoes
01-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Darren Sproles would have had 1,003 yards.

lmao

teegre
01-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Joking aside...

If the Steelers are on KC's side of the 50, and it's fourth down, I might go for it (as opposed to punting to Tyreek Hill).

Moose
01-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Joking aside...

If the Steelers are on KC's side of the 50, and it's fourth down, I might go for it (as opposed to punting to Tyreek Hill).

DON'T punt to Hill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 03:03 PM

This team is special, but it's almost the same team as last year (At least our leaders of this team) and they had a lot of character in the game in Denver.

Method28
01-09-2017, 03:22 PM
For me its gonna be on Berry. Hang time! Kick that ball high high high

Coochie liquor
01-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Hi Steelers Universe, KC fan here. Just coming to talk football, no trolling or disrespect here. I enjoy seeing how the other teams fans look at the matchups etc. Should be a good game (hopefully better than the last one we played), here's to no injuries for either team.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 03:39 PM
The only time his two teams faced in the playoffs was in 1993, and the Chiefs with Joe Montana won 27-24 in overtime in Kansas City.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199401080kan.htm

teegre
01-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Hi Steelers Universe, KC fan here. Just coming to talk football, no trolling or disrespect here. I enjoy seeing how the other teams fans look at the matchups etc. Should be a good game (hopefully better than the last one we played), here's to no injuries for either team.

Welcome.

This should be a very physical game.

Coochie liquor
01-09-2017, 04:07 PM
It's gonna be pretty difficult for KC to stop Bell, but that absolutely has to be the game plan. As stupid as it sounds, we have to make Ben beat us with his arm (which he's more than capable of doing), and blanket Brown. Much easier said than done. We are getting Houston back, but he's barely played all year, and who knows what capacity he's really gonna be able to play. See Ford has stepped it up this season for us, but he's been less of a factor the games that Houston played. He plays better from the right side which should be he plan this week. If we can generate pressure with Houston, Ford, Poe, and Chris Jones (who is a beast of a rookie), and keep Berry or Sorenson shadowing Bell. But.... your O line is pretty good at protecting Ben and also run blocking. Another difference between this game and the last is Terrance Mitchell is playing at a pretty high level since taking over for Gaines.
Offensively we seem to be a little more polished than when we faced each other this season. The last 2 games of the season we started clicking a little bit offensively. Albeit the last one was against SD, but we beat Dungver pretty handily and they were the #5 overall defense. Alex drives me crazy, and I love him or hate him from week to week. He is the key to the offense, if he's in he's good, if he's off.... Tyreek is FAST, and if Andy doesn't decide to forget that he has him, he's able to make big things happen. Same with in ST, I'm sure you know but the guy has wheels. Kelce, Maclin, and Ware can also make you have to cover the whole field, and Alex usually gets the ball out pretty quick. The weakness of your D seems to be the rookie corners, so I'm sure Andy will test them with quick passes, and don't forget TONS of bubble screens. I've already seen enough to last a lifetime lol.
I'm hoping for a win, but anything is possible. We don't match up great with you, but we've played pretty consistent football for the most part this season. You guys are in a major hot streak and could easily take this game also. I'm excited, here's to a great game!

Method28
01-09-2017, 04:12 PM
It's gonna be pretty difficult for KC to stop Bell, but that absolutely has to be the game plan. As stupid as it sounds, we have to make Ben beat us with his arm (which he's more than capable of doing), and blanket Brown. Much easier said than done. We are getting Houston back, but he's barely played all year, and who knows what capacity he's really gonna be able to play. See Ford has stepped it up this season for us, but he's been less of a factor the games that Houston played. He plays better from the right side which should be he plan this week. If we can generate pressure with Houston, Ford, Poe, and Chris Jones (who is a beast of a rookie), and keep Berry or Sorenson shadowing Bell. But.... your O line is pretty good at protecting Ben and also run blocking. Another difference between this game and the last is Terrance Mitchell is playing at a pretty high level since taking over for Gaines.
Offensively we seem to be a little more polished than when we faced each other this season. The last 2 games of the season we started clicking a little bit offensively. Albeit the last one was against SD, but we beat Dungver pretty handily and they were the #5 overall defense. Alex drives me crazy, and I love him or hate him from week to week. He is the key to the offense, if he's in he's good, if he's off.... Tyreek is FAST, and if Andy doesn't decide to forget that he has him, he's able to make big things happen. Same with in ST, I'm sure you know but the guy has wheels. Kelce, Maclin, and Ware can also make you have to cover the whole field, and Alex usually gets the ball out pretty quick. The weakness of your D seems to be the rookie corners, so I'm sure Andy will test them with quick passes, and don't forget TONS of bubble screens. I've already seen enough to last a lifetime lol.
I'm hoping for a win, but anything is possible. We don't match up great with you, but we've played pretty consistent football for the most part this season. You guys are in a major hot streak and could easily take this game also. I'm excited, here's to a great game!
First & foremost, you must explain your name! 😂😂😂

On the game.....this game will go VERY differently than the last im sure. Hill and Berry scare the hell outta me, not gonna lie. Im looking for the Steelers to ride Bell once again, but to pepper Williams in from time to time. The Chiefs are much more physical than Miami.

Good luck to you guys.....but not too much lol

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Steelers must throw the ball often if the chiefs put 8 man on the box to stop Bell.

I don't think the chiefs will do that since it would put Antonio Brown one-on-one against their corner, even if they are good, it's almost impossible to stop Brown one-on-one.

teegre
01-09-2017, 04:33 PM
words

You make some very good points. Really. It's not rife with hyperbole nor loaded with fake humbleness.

1) Yes. KC needs to stop Bell. He's on a tear like no other. The question is: can they??? Loading the box is basically the only way, but as p.beast points out: AB beats every corner one-on-one. Pick your poison.

2) Tyreek Hill is the x-factor for KC. I honestly think that the Steelers can stop Ware and Kelce. Limiting Hill will be the key.

3) Paragraphs. :lol:

Coochie liquor
01-09-2017, 04:34 PM
First & foremost, you must explain your name! 

On the game.....this game will go VERY differently than the last im sure. Hill and Berry scare the hell outta me, not gonna lie. Im looking for the Steelers to ride Bell once again, but to pepper Williams in from time to time. The Chiefs are much more physical than Miami.

Good luck to you guys.....but not too much lol

With my name, I love coochie, and I love alcohol, put them together and I love that too lol.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 04:42 PM

I'm sure the chiefs also thought the steelers were going to win against Miami so it will be 2 weeks of preparation for the chiefs on us.

The steelers will also have to be very prepared since Andy Reid is one of the best coaches after a bye.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 04:54 PM

Moose
01-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Thread
First of all Welcome aboard and good info. Secondly, I agree as far as hoping for a game with NO injuries. But lastly, I'm not hoping for a good, close game. I hate those types of games IF the Steeler's are playing in them. I like Steeler's games like the last Miami game, and our game against you guys in week 4. Don't take it personally my friend, but I hope the Black/Gold win's by 4+ TDs. Hill scares the hell out of me with our Special team play.

Rotorhead
01-09-2017, 06:28 PM
I think KC will need to pick their poison, stop Bell or stop AB and hope the rest sorts itself out. If I am KC, I will load up the box and try to stop Bell, Ben has been pretty poor away this season so that would be my decision. Unfortunately for KC, we should have Green back, our grp of rookie WR's are just making plays lately also and AB was a monster last week. It is going to be difficult for KC, or anyone, to stop them. As for our Def, well they are gelling very well, Timmons has been a beast lately, JH is, well JH. Shazier can cover Kelce, but their downfield game has improved lately. As long as our special teams don't get killed, I think we will pull this one out, much closer than the Miami game, but a W is all we need.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 06:47 PM
It's sure the chiefs will want to stop Bell, so Roethlisberger, Brown and the other receivers will have to be ready!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-09-2017, 07:03 PM
It's sure the chiefs will want to stop Bell, so Roethlisberger, Brown and the other receivers will have to be ready! I think they will be ready and like was mentioned about Ayers he is hungry and think the whole group is including James at TE.

SteelMayhem72
01-09-2017, 07:09 PM
ive heard there is the possibility for ice and snow at KC. Run Bell Run!!

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 07:20 PM
ive heard there is the possibility for ice and snow at KC. Run Bell Run!!

http://www.nflweather.com/game/2016/divisional-playoffs/steelers-at-chiefs

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 07:39 PM
Last 2 games for Bell against the Chiefs.....

2015:17 run for 121 yards(with Landry Jones)
2016:18 run for 144 yards

Shoes
01-09-2017, 07:47 PM
I'd lmao if the Texans beat the pats. Highly unlikely, but still possible.

01-09-2017, 07:55 PM
I'd lmao if the Texans beat the pats. Highly unlikely, but still possible. The whole world would be amazed. I think the Texans do have motivation for sure because everyone is acting like a joke that it is even possible. Talk about a Rocky Balboa type underdog team this coming week.

polamalubeast
01-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Seriously, it would be one of the biggest upsets I've seen if the Texans win.Their defense is solid, but they have the worst offense among the playoffs team since the 2005 Bears.It's like a second bye for the Pats.

01-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Seriously, it would be one of the biggest upsets I've seen if the Texans win.Their defense is solid, but they have the worst offense among the playoffs team since the 2005 Bears.It's like a second bye for the Pats. Agreed and the perks of getting the 1 seed.

teegre
01-09-2017, 11:09 PM

I see that mathematical pattern continuing:

2017*: 19 rushes for 167 yards

*January

Coochie liquor
01-10-2017, 05:18 AM
First of all Welcome aboard and good info. Secondly, I agree as far as hoping for a game with NO injuries. But lastly, I'm not hoping for a good, close game. I hate those types of games IF the Steeler's are playing in them. I like Steeler's games like the last Miami game, and our game against you guys in week 4. Don't take it personally my friend, but I hope the Black/Gold win's by 4+ TDs. Hill scares the hell out of me with our Special team play.
I hear you, I feel the same. Would love KC to blow out Pitt but I don't see either team blowing the other out this time. It's gonna be loud at Arrowhead, although Steelers fans travel well and there's likely to be upwards of 20k Steelers fans there too. I feel like we are plenty motivated to win this game, but we have to execute to make it happen. Attempt to take Bell away, and let our defense do what they normally do, get turnovers. Ben isn't as good on the road as he is at home, and Andy is 19-2 after a bye. Should be a good game, but anything is possible. Believe me we as Chiefs fans are shell shocked, and have been through some pretty epic playoff losses so anything is possible. But I do like our chances in this one. But there's always a way for us to lose a game, because Chiefs....

pczach
01-10-2017, 06:08 AM

That's the dilemma that the Chiefs have. I know the weather may help hold down the passing game, but they are not good against the run and the Steelers run the ball well against their front.

If they have to put 8 in the box to stop Bell, AB is going to be getting a lot of single man coverage. That's the problem when all of the B's are healthy.

I expect them to blitz more to try to blow up the run with negative plays. If the blitzes don't get there or they lose their gap integrity, you have the chance to pop big runs or make big plays in the passing game. They probably have to guess right on a lot of defensive calls to get the advantage when you play a team that seems to match up well with you.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 06:22 AM
That's the dilemma that the Chiefs have. I know the weather may help hold down the passing game, but they are not good against the run and the Steelers run the ball well against their front.

If they have to put 8 in the box to stop Bell, AB is going to be getting a lot of single man coverage. That's the problem when all of the B's are healthy.

I expect them to blitz more to try to blow up the run with negative plays. If the blitzes don't get there or they lose their gap integrity, you have the chance to pop big runs or make big plays in the passing game. They probably have to guess right on a lot of defensive calls to get the advantage when you play a team that seems to match up well with you.

salamander
01-10-2017, 06:35 AM
Ben has been pretty shitty on the road. Add to that the redemption motivation factor for KC, this game has me worried. The Cheifs are a good team so we shall see.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 06:39 AM
This is not the time to be worried.It's time to be ready for the challenge!

Butch
01-10-2017, 06:52 AM
I have not watched K.C. since they have played us, and yes I know they are getting healthy and will be a much bigger challenge than they were the last time we met. I believe this game will come down to Ben and what type of game he has. I feel our D is up for the task at hand, yes Denver has a great D too, but I would put up our D against theirs any day of the week and I feel we are the better of the 2. Maybe I am a homer, but I have to say this D does not give up a ton of points. They bend but seem to find a way to come up with the play or turnover that will turn things around. I think their biggest threat is Special teams so as long as we kick it away from their returners we should be able to come away with a win.

AtlantaDan
01-10-2017, 07:56 AM
I have not watched K.C. since they have played us, and yes I know they are getting healthy and will be a much bigger challenge than they were the last time we met. I believe this game will come down to Ben and what type of game he has. I feel our D is up for the task at hand, yes Denver has a great D too, but I would put up our D against theirs any day of the week and I feel we are the better of the 2. Maybe I am a homer, but I have to say this D does not give up a ton of points. They bend but seem to find a way to come up with the play or turnover that will turn things around. I think their biggest threat is Special teams so as long as we kick it away from their returners we should be able to come away with a win.

Chiefs find a lot of ways to win with special teams and turnovers - best illustrated when they beat the Falcons, a team with a better offense this season than the Steelers, in Atlanta 29-28 in early December. That day they scored on a 55 yard fake punt on 4th and 2, a 37 yard pick six by Eric Berry, and another Berry pick of Matt Ryan, this time returned 99 yards for 2 points to retake the lead for good, when the Falcons went for 2 after going up 28-27 late in the 4th quarter.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/400874715

Ben cannot afford to continue his recent practice of making 2 to 3 brain cramp throws per game that are picked (the first INT against Miami on Sunday that went off Brown's hands was not his fault, but a previous throw that James caught on the ricochet should have been picked - the second pick when he injured his foot/ankle was a cluster with regard to both Haley's play call and execution of the play)

86WARD
01-10-2017, 08:02 AM
I can't wait until Sunday.......

Born2Steel
01-10-2017, 08:05 AM
With my name, I love coochie, and I love alcohol, put them together and I love that too lol.

Well, if nobody else is going to say it. then I will..........'You may not be an English Major, but you are one Cunning Linguist'.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 10:52 AM

AtlantaDan
01-10-2017, 10:58 AM

Aside from the small detail of Curry having won a championship :coffee:

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Aside from the small detail of Curry having won a championship :coffee:

Barry Sanders has never won a championship and he has only 1 win playoff in his career, but Sanders is still one of the best RB of all-time.

We must not only judge players on championships.

tube517
01-10-2017, 11:03 AM

Curry smoked weed???? :smoker: :chuckle:

tube517
01-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Tomlin is talking about Rosey Nix right now in the press conference

Somebody's head is asplodin....

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 11:28 AM

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 02:41 PM

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Gilbert hasnt played in forever and Kelce is an All-Pro tight end thats been on an absolute tear since then. Id rather not see him on Kelce. Honestly I think its important for Burns to see a lot of Tyreek Hill. Burns had probably his most beautiful pass break up against him in Week 5 which would have otherwise been a streaking touchdown. The rest of the DB's will fair fine against a banged up Maclin. Id rather that he is the one beating us and not Kelce and Hill. Shazier has been ridiculous in coverage as of late too, im pretty confident that he can at least mitigate Kelce's impact this week

Mojouw
01-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Gilbert hasnt played in forever and Kelce is an All-Pro tight end thats been on an absolute tear since then. Id rather not see him on Kelce. Honestly I think its important for Burns to see a lot of Tyreek Hill. Burns had probably his most beautiful pass break up against him in Week 5 which would have otherwise been a streaking touchdown. The rest of the DB's will fair fine against a banged up Maclin. Id rather that he is the one beating us and not Kelce and Hill. Shazier has been ridiculous in coverage as of late too, im pretty confident that he can at least mitigate Kelce's impact this week

That is some pretty sound logic! Maybe Gilbert replaces Dangerfield in that 3 "safety" look? Anyone know if Gilbert can actually tackle? I know he is reputed to have coverage skills, but does he like to hit?

Actually, the subject of Gilbert could be a whole thread on its own? Like, what is the overall deal with this dude? Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane? Too dumb for the NFL? Boykin 2.0? Watch out next year because he will be awesome? A trade the front office "forced" on the coaching staff? An over-reaction to the Golson injury?

AtlantaDan
01-10-2017, 03:36 PM
At today's press conference Tomlin was asked a vague question about whether Tyreek Hill's background impacted his position on the Steelers draft board, which Tomlin ran away from by responding he was not going to discuss the factors the Steelers consider when deciding whether to draft a player.

I was clueless what that was all about but assumed it was something Tomlin did not want to go near.

SI.com has cleared that up for me by posting this article this afternoon

The Tyreek Hill Conundrum: How can we cheer for a player with such a heinous past?

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/10/tyreek-hill-kansas-city-chiefs-domestic-violence

Yikes

There is a video with the article in which Will Leitch discusses rooting for your team when it has players having engaged in sketchy behavior or worse, a situation Steelers fans have faced

Leitch states some views I share on how you can root for the team without supporting the player misconduct (a takeoff on the Jerry Seinfeld riff that "you are rooting for clothing") and that once you start drilling down into the character of the performers you are going to miss out on a lot of sports, music and movies - Leitch draws his line at not buying a Tyreek Hill jersey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5jtHc3Z0Vs

fansince'76
01-10-2017, 03:48 PM

Kelce is a beast - definitely worried about him, especially considering all the trouble we have against good TEs over the middle.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Kelce is a beast - definitely worried about him, especially considering all the trouble we have against good TEs over the middle.

Yes, but this year the steelers were better against the TE.

No TE had a 100-yard game against us this year, so hopefully it will continue but he's the guy with Hill that the Steelers defense must contain.

Red Cloud
01-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Hello all,

Chiefs fan here. I'm really looking forward to the game Sunday. I am nervous about it. Particularly about stopping the run. We have lost two DEs and three MLBers for the season. The back up ends are very good but, the MLBers are suspect.

I am curious to see how Shazier is used. Will you use him in a "spy" role to keep Alex Smith, Tyreek Hill, and De'Anthony Thomas in check? We run a lot of screens and reverses to those guys and Alex can run.

I see Reid's game plan being highly based. I doubt we try and pound it up the middle with Ware. I think we will run the style of offense Reid ran in Philly with Westbrook and McNabb. We used to run it with Charles and West is also very effective in the screen game. I think we will try and get match ups with West, Hill, or Thomas against your OLBers. This has worked great against Denver in the past.

Cockrell will be another target. He's big and will struggle against Maclin and Wilson on crossing and drag routes across the middle. Alex loves to throw those type of passes and they have a high completion rate. I think Cockrell will struggle chasing those small fast dudes through the crowd in the middle of the field.

I think Peters will follow Brown everywhere. He hasn't done this with a WR yet but, he was hardly targeted the second half of the season. I believe Sutton (defensive coordinator) challenged him to be more disciplined and he responded well. He took fewer risks and got fewer picks but, he locked down that side of the field. Sutton let Revis shadow people around the field in NY and I think he'll let Peters do it from here on out. That will be fun to watch.

The first time we played you, we didn't have Houston and Hill wasn't involved. I think it will be different this time. Also, Reid is like 20-2 (?) coming off the bye. I like those numbers too.

Expect to see Hali, Houston, and Ford all on the field at the same time in the psycho package. I think Sutton will bring the house and there will be quite a few exotic blitzes.

It should be a great old school smash mouth slobber knocker in the ice.

tube517
01-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Reid will study his old protege/former team's game against us that really picked us apart. We had no answer for the Iggles. I know we are a different team now but the screens killed us.

Should be a great game.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 04:04 PM
No doubt, Andy Reid's record after a bye is very impressive and this is a concern for the steelers, especially that Reid surely began to prepare his team to play against the steelers last week since he was sure that the Steelers were going to win against Miami.

Mojouw
01-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Hello all,

Chiefs fan here. I'm really looking forward to the game Sunday. I am nervous about it. Particularly about stopping the run. We have lost two DEs and three MLBers for the season. The back up ends are very good but, the MLBers are suspect.

I am curious to see how Shazier is used. Will you use him in a "spy" role to keep Alex Smith, Tyreek Hill, and De'Anthony Thomas in check? We run a lot of screens and reverses to those guys and Alex can run.

I see Reid's game plan being highly based. I doubt we try and pound it up the middle with Ware. I think we will run the style of offense Reid ran in Philly with Westbrook and McNabb. We used to run it with Charles and West is also very effective in the screen game. I think we will try and get match ups with West, Hill, or Thomas against your OLBers. This has worked great against Denver in the past.

Cockrell will be another target. He's big and will struggle against Maclin and Wilson on crossing and drag routes across the middle. Alex loves to throw those type of passes and they have a high completion rate. I think Cockrell will struggle chasing those small fast dudes through the crowd in the middle of the field.

I think Peters will follow Brown everywhere. He hasn't done this with a WR yet but, he was hardly targeted the second half of the season. I believe Sutton (defensive coordinator) challenged him to be more disciplined and he responded well. He took fewer risks and got fewer picks but, he locked down that side of the field. Sutton let Revis shadow people around the field in NY and I think he'll let Peters do it from here on out. That will be fun to watch.

The first time we played you, we didn't have Houston and Hill wasn't involved. I think it will be different this time. Also, Reid is like 20-2 (?) coming off the bye. I like those numbers too.

Expect to see Hali, Houston, and Ford all on the field at the same time in the psycho package. I think Sutton will bring the house and there will be quite a few exotic blitzes.

That sounds about right. Interesting about Peters and the all pass rusher package. Means that, once again, Bell will be the key to the game for the Steelers on offense. Run/Pass options called by Ben at the line to attempt to catch the Chiefs in the wrong alignment. Bell will be the one player who can likely "catch" the Chiefs in a bad match-up. I don't think any of their pass rushers can stay with him in space.

On defense for the Steelers it will be all about Mitchell, Shazier, and Davis. Some combination of those three is likely going to have limit Kelce and Hill. If they do, then KC might have a tough time moving the ball, if they don't - look out!

43Hitman
01-10-2017, 04:09 PM
When I see that 19-2 record its tells me he is due for a loss.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 04:11 PM
One thing I don't know is whether the o-line of the Chiefs is good or not?

Dupree and Harrison will be very important, but I also know that Smith throws the ball very quickly.

So the secondary must be ready and the steelers must not miss too many tackle

43Hitman
01-10-2017, 04:14 PM
90% of rain in the forecast, throwing will be limited, running a premium. I'm smelling a game like we had in Buffalo, and am loving it.

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2017, 05:17 PM
90% of rain in the forecast, throwing will be limited, running a premium. I'm smelling a game like we had in Buffalo, and am loving it.

love it. advantage us. a little play action here and there during periods where the weather clears up could really put the ball in our court. Eric Berry is questionable to play

Red Cloud
01-10-2017, 05:35 PM
At today's press conference Tomlin was asked a vague question about whether Tyreek Hill's background impacted his position on the Steelers draft board, which Tomlin ran away from by responding he was not going to discuss the factors the Steelers consider when deciding whether to draft a player.

I was clueless what that was all about but assumed it was something Tomlin did not want to go near.

SI.com has cleared that up for me by posting this article this afternoon

The Tyreek Hill Conundrum: How can we cheer for a player with such a heinous past?

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/10/tyreek-hill-kansas-city-chiefs-domestic-violence

Yikes

There is a video with the article in which Will Leitch discusses rooting for your team when it has players having engaged in sketchy behavior or worse, a situation Steelers fans have faced

Leitch states some views I share on how you can root for the team without supporting the player misconduct (a takeoff on the Jerry Seinfeld riff that "you are rooting for clothing") and that once you start drilling down into the character of the performers you are going to miss out on a lot of sports, music and movies - Leitch draws his line at not buying a Tyreek Hill jersey

Well, I get it. I really do. It's messed up for sure. Here's the thing, Chiefs Owner Clark Hunt and his wife do a lot with domestic violence charities. Andy Reid does the same. Neither of them just started it either. They were doing this long before Hill. Also, Clark had Larry Johnson cut after a domestic violence incident at a nightclub.

Im just saying a lot of thought went into drafting him from people with experience in that area. I think this is different and I think Hill will make a difference in this area.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I don't know is whether the o-line of the Chiefs is good or not?

Dupree and Harrison will be very important, but I also know that Smith throws the ball very quickly.

So the secondary must be ready and the steelers must not miss too many tackle

The line is solid.

The tackles are good. Both are pro bowl alternates. Schwartz made second team all pro. The LG Fulton is a back up with lots of experience. The RG Duverney-Tardiff is a mauler with a mean streak. The center Morse is a very good player too.

- - - Updated - - -

One of those two came last year. We aren't due.

Buffalo isn't Arrowhead.

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 06:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNgTGNhcI0

polamalubeast
01-10-2017, 06:37 PM

salamander
01-10-2017, 07:27 PM

Which means he'll have the game of his life. :peep:

OK, probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me. My biggest concern is still the fact that Ben has sucked on the road recently.

lipps83
01-10-2017, 08:10 PM
My biggest concern is still the fact that Ben has sucked on the road recently.

Sucked?

That just might be an understatement.

Coochie liquor
01-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Last home playoff win for KC was against Pit in 93. Yeah we're overdue!!

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Hello all,

glad to have you on the board. hope everyone is treating you well.

i certainly hope Shazier gets put on Kelce. Strength on strength is how i see it. Kelce was on a hot streak to finish the season and i expect him to continue it in at least some capacity against us, but Shazier stands the best chance to limit the damage. We have got to have one of the worst return and ST coverage teams in the league, and that makes Tyreek Hill as prime of a candidate to change the game as anyone. Very concerned about him. Thanks for bringing up Alex Smith's mobility. Ugh, i totally forgot he's one of the most underrated runners at the QB position in the league. i expect him to extend at least a drive or 2 with his feet. What do you think the chiefs strategy will be if we have ladarius green? what if we dont have green but have sammie coates (who obviously has been a nonfactor since then)

BigBen2004
01-11-2017, 02:47 AM
Hill is fast, but he's rather easy to knock down if you can coral him. I expect the ST unit to avoid him at all costs.

As for Kelce, eh. Great tight end, but this Steelers team has played pretty well against TEs this season. I'm sure he'll get his targets, but I don't think they'll let him be a game changer.

It comes down to running games and quarterbacks. Pittsburgh has the advantage in both categories.
Ben didn't play well on the road this season, true. But this is a new season. Win or go home. I'll take Ben everyday.

After losing in the divisional round last year, in a game they controlled for 50 minutes, I truly believe they'll handle business this time. Pittsburgh is locked in. It'll be a good game, but, I'm going 27-20 good guys.
This team just has that special feeling to it.

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 06:01 AM

teegre
01-11-2017, 06:30 AM
I was rooting hard for KC to beat Denver (the first meeting) in order to knock the Broncos out of the playoffs. In hindsight, it would have been better if KC had lost... because, they'd be going to New England (and we'd be heading to Oakland).

Oh well.

86WARD
01-11-2017, 06:43 AM
Yeah...instead the Texans, which probably aren't even a Top-10 AFC Playoff Team are heading to NE to give them a free pass to the AFC Championship game. What a debacle that's gonna be...

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Carr's injury has changed everything.

Also the Texans made the playoffs because of their weak division and I think the titans were better than them.Also the ravens and the broncos would have been more dangerous than the dolphins in the playoffs.The schedule is sometimes a big factor why the teams are in playoff ....

But we have to be happy to be still alive...I mean, the steelers were 4-5 at one point ...

salamander
01-11-2017, 06:53 AM
Yeah...instead the Texans, which probably aren't even a Top-10 AFC Playoff Team are heading to NE to give them a free pass to the AFC Championship game. What a debacle that's gonna be...

Between their weak as hell division and stuff like this, it makes you wonder how they get so lucky. :ranger:

AtlantaDan
01-11-2017, 07:30 AM
I was rooting hard for KC to beat Denver (the first meeting) in order to knock the Broncos out of the playoffs. In hindsight, it would have been better if KC had lost... because, they'd be going to New England (and we'd be heading to Oakland).

Oh well.

I feel better about the Steelers going into KC than having to go into Oakland with Derek Carr, which is where I thought the season might be heading going into week 16.

The crash and burn of Oakland's season shows how it can all blow up on one play

Iron Steeler
01-11-2017, 07:57 AM
https://twitter.com/T_Mitch39/status/818267758538399744?s=09

(My apologies, I'm not sure how to properly post a tweet from my phone)

Good find and good point .

We need to play like we are down by 10 the whole time.

If we get a big enough lead, I would like to see us bleed the clock out. Having Bell in the playoffs is the most exciting thing for me as a Steelers fan. The past 3 years the clock and time has been our enemy because we were never able to sustain a LONG drive. Keep Bell healthy, give him the rock, frustrate the hell out of all defenses moving forward!

I BELIEVE IN THIS TEAM!

LETS GO STEELERS!

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 09:22 AM

teegre
01-11-2017, 09:26 AM
I feel better about the Steelers going into KC than having to go into Oakland with Derek Carr, which is where I thought the season might be heading going into week 16.

The crash and burn of Oakland's season shows how it can all blow up on one play

That is no joke. I've been telling my friends & family that we better win NOW, because Carr is going to dominate during the next decade.

Raidahs fans now have empathy for the Steelers playoff woes of 2014 & 2015. In turn... FIRE DEL RIO!!!

teegre
01-11-2017, 09:35 AM

That would actually be a GREAT game plan.

For years, the Steelers have lead the league in scoring during the final two-minutes of a half (last year by something like 37 points over the second place team)... which is when BB is going no huddle.

Say what you want about Chip Kelly's up-tempo offense, but if he had BB as his QB, Kelly's teams would have scored 70 ppg.

I'm joking... sort of.

fansince'76
01-11-2017, 09:36 AM
I figured they'd go with a silent snap count. That has worked on the road in the playoffs previously.

AtlantaDan
01-11-2017, 09:41 AM
I figured they'd go with a silent snap count. That has worked on the road in the playoffs previously.

They moved the ball in Seattle in 2015 (which having been to CenturyLink is like trying to be heard over a jet taking off) so they presumably have a plan for Arrowhead

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 09:43 AM
They moved the ball in Seattle in 2015 (which having been to CenturyLink is like trying to be heard over a jet taking off) so they presumably have a plan for Arrowhead

Yes, but the difference is that the Steelers will probably not attempt 50 passes or more in this game, including 20 in the first quarter!

Moose
01-11-2017, 09:46 AM

Gotta agree. His record after a 'bye' really doesn't impress me all that much and really doesn't tell me anything unless I would back track and see 'who' the teams were, what their records were and where the game was played. Sorry, I don't give a shit enough to spend my time doing that, hell they could have played Cleveland each time. Maybe the KC fan who dropped in will enlighten us on that if he/she is concerned, which I doubt since they weren't sure if it was 20-2 or 19-2. My main concern in this game is still going to be our tackling and special team play.

AtlantaDan
01-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Yes, but the difference is that the Steelers will probably not attempt 50 passes or more in this game, including 20 in the first quarter!

So you do not think we see the return of Haley's plan to start the game in Buffalo:wink02:

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Very possible that he has snow sunday in Kansas City during the game....

http://www.nflweather.com/game/2016/divisional-playoffs/steelers-at-chiefs

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Roethlisberger: Turnovers, red zone key to 'awesome challenge' vs. Chiefs

When the Steelers game plan for any opponent, two of the most important components of their preparation are efficiency in the red zone and limiting turnovers. But with the Kansas City Chiefs, the opponent Sunday in the divisional round of the AFC playoffs, those two areas will be even more important.

The Chiefs have a rather pedestrian defense when it comes to yards allowed. They are 24th in the NFL in total defense — 26th in rush defense and 18th in pass defense. So how are they legitimately one of the top defensive units in the league? It’s simple. The Chiefs created more turnovers (33) than any other team during the regular season and were a top-five red-zone defense. Add it all together, and it’s a recipe for a 12-win season and an AFC West Division championship.

“Probably two of the biggest components of any game for us offensively — turnovers and red zone,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Wednesday morning when he met with reporters. “We know this is an awesome challenge. They’re a very good defense, a hostile environment. We really have to put some work in.”

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/01/11/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-turnovers-red-zone-kansas-city-chiefs-afc-divisional-round-playoffs-nfl/stories/201701110137

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Steelers’ Efficient Red Zone Defense Matches Up Perfectly With Inefficient Alex Smith

While Smith has enjoyed a fine season, throwing for 3,502 yards, 15 touchdowns and just 8 interceptions, he has had his share of struggles in the red zone. Smith has thrown three interceptions and completed just 46-percent of his passes in the red zone during the regular season. It seems that while Smith has enjoyed an efficient season in general, this efficiency turns into inefficiency once Smith’s Chiefs sniff the 20-yard line.

Smith’s struggles in the red zone play right into the favor of the Steelers’ defense, who have been the opposite of inefficient during red zone trips this season. According to Team Rankings, the Steelers defense is first in the AFC and fourth in the NFL for Red Zone Scoring Percentage. The Steelers allow a touchdown on 45.75-percent of opposing red zone attempts and are just one of five teams to be under 50-percent.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/steelers-efficient-red-zone-defense-matches-perfectly-inefficient-alex-smith/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

EzraTank
01-11-2017, 12:39 PM
I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread but Tyrek Hill scares the crap out of me. I had him on my fantasy team and the dude is not only a PUNT/KO return specialist he's also a good receiver and clearly the fastest guy in the NFL. And we all know how "bad" the Steelers Special Teams can be.

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 12:51 PM

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 01:03 PM

The only loss was against Seattle in 2015.

SteelMember
01-11-2017, 01:09 PM
That would actually be a GREAT game plan.

For years, the Steelers have lead the league in scoring during the final two-minutes of a half (last year by something like 37 points over the second place team)... which is when BB is going no huddle.

Say what you want about Chip Kelly's up-tempo offense, but if he had BB as his QB, Kelly's teams would have scored 70 ppg.

I'm joking... sort of.

You mean the one where Ben lifts his leg a couple times, then Foster taps Pouncey on the butt with 2 seconds left on the play clock... Seems to work better than you would think.

Edman
01-11-2017, 01:12 PM
That is no joke. I've been telling my friends & family that we better win NOW, because Carr is going to dominate during the next decade.

The Raiders are the only team with a future at QB.

Outside of him, I think we're going to be entering a new decade of parity in the NFL, where teams fluctuate year to year. We're not going to be seeing Steelers/Patriots/Broncos/Colts every year. Post-Ben, I think the Steelers are going to be staring at a few down years.

The Raiders are scary with Carr, but they also have Jack Del Rio as their coach, and I'm not impressed by him.

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Cold Weather QB Look With Freezing Rain Expected For Steelers-Chiefs Game

When you think about NFL playoff football you usually associate cold weather being part of it. In the upcoming Divisional Round playoff game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Kansas City Chiefs, not only will it be played in the cold, but potentially freezing rain as well.

According to the latest forecast on weather.com, icy conditions with periods of freezing rain are expected Sunday afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. A high 34F is expected with winds out of the ENE at 5 to 10 mph. The chain of rain Sunday is currently 90%.

Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith, who has played in five playoff games so far during his career, has never played in one where the kickoff temperature was reportedly less than 38F. He has, however, played in a total of 11 regular season games in which the kickoff temperature was reportedly 35F or below and his teams were 5-6 in those games. In those 11 games, Smith completed 61% of his pass attempts for 2,208 yards and threw 14 touchdown passes and 9 interceptions. Those numbers equate to an 84.2 quarterback rating, if you give any weight to that stat whatsoever.

It’s probably worth noting that Smith went 3-1 in four of those aforementioned games when he didn’t throw an interception. Smith is also 3-6 in those games where he threw more than 20 passes.

When it comes to Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, my research concludes that he’s played in a total of 38 games in which the kickoff temperature was reportedly 35F or lower and it looks like 7 of those games came in the playoffs and went 6-1. In all 38 games, Roethlisberger is 28-10 but 14-2 in his last 16.

In those 38 games that Roethlisberger has played in where the kickoff temperature was reportedly 35F or below, he completed 61.5% of his passes and threw 56 touchdown passes and 32 interceptions. If you’re scoring at home, that work out to a 91.3 quarterback rating.

Roethlisberger is 5-0 in the aforementioned games in which he attempted 20 or less passes and 14-5 in the 19 games that he didn’t throw an interception.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/cold-weather-qb-look-freezing-rain-expected-steelers-chiefs-game/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

teegre
01-11-2017, 02:33 PM
You mean the one where Ben lifts his leg a couple times, then Foster taps Pouncey on the butt with 2 seconds left on the play clock... Seems to work better than you would think.

I know, right.

I see Foster tap Pouncey's butt... and if I were a defender, I'm like: "Blitz NOW!!!" Nope. They all wait for the snap. (I wonder if BB is audibling, as well, and there's some sort of verbal cue that we can't hear over the crowd...)

- - - Updated - - -

The Raiders are the only team with a future at QB.

Outside of him, I think we're going to be entering a new decade of parity in the NFL, where teams fluctuate year to year. We're not going to be seeing Steelers/Patriots/Broncos/Colts every year. Post-Ben, I think the Steelers are going to be staring at a few down years.

The Raiders are scary with Carr, but they also have Jack Del Rio as their coach, and I'm not impressed by him.

Yep.

After BB retires, the AFCCG is going to be Raidahs vs. Colts for seven of the following ten years.

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2017, 04:36 PM

We should have been doing this more often anyways. Every great offense does this with at least some regularity. We seem to do it seldomly. Bens an underrated play caller. Havent the fans been clamoring for this since forever anyways?

polamalubeast
01-11-2017, 05:25 PM

AtlantaDan
01-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Detailed analysis of the Steelers in the Kansas City Star.

Chiefs game plan - Scouting the Pittsburgh Steelers (12-5)

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article126012614.html

Even with some errors (Shamarko is said to be a key special teams player although he is gone for the season), comparing this article with embedded videos to what the Post-Gazette churns out provides another example of the sketchy Steelers coverage provided by the P-G as opposed to local team coverage provided by newspapers in other cities.

86WARD
01-12-2017, 09:56 AM
I don't feel comfortable with this game at all. There's all the history and stats...Reid's numbers off a bye, KC winning at home, no one winning in the road in a divisional matchup last year, blah, blah, blah. The there's the run game of the Chiefs, which I think a lot of people are overlooking. Kelce, if the Chiefs decide to, can dominate the middle of the field. Time and time again, that is the biggest while in these defensive game plans. The Steelers are in the road so who knows what team may or may not show up.

Somebody help me out here...I'm feeling a loss...

AtlantaDan
01-12-2017, 10:08 AM
I don't feel comfortable with this game at all. There's all the history and stats...Reid's numbers off a bye, KC winning at home, no one winning in the road in a divisional matchup last year, blah, blah, blah. The there's the run game of the Chiefs, which I think a lot of people are overlooking. Kelce, if the Chiefs decide to, can dominate the middle of the field. Time and time again, that is the biggest while in these defensive game plans. The Steelers are in the road so who knows what team may or may not show up.

I am nervous too - tough game but it is the playoffs

Enjoy the ride and consider whether you thought you would need to worry about how the Steelers played in mid-January after the Dallas loss

polamalubeast
01-12-2017, 10:22 AM
It's not the time to be scared!

The weather will favor the Steelers and the Chiefs are not very good against the run.Bell could have another big day!

SteelMember
01-12-2017, 11:11 AM

You're probably gonna feel that way from here on out, so may as well just enjoy it.

86WARD
01-12-2017, 11:17 AM
You're probably gonna feel that way from here on out, so may as well just enjoy it.

You're 100% right...I will. When it comes to these games, I'm a pessimist...lol.

teegre
01-12-2017, 12:20 PM

First, allow me to confirm your concerns. KC is (IMO) the toughest out left in the playoffs. I was hoping like hell that they'd knock off the Taperiots, and we'd have the Chiefs at home. Alas...

Now, a dose of optimism.

19-2 is pretty darn impressive.
So is BB's record in cold weather (13-1).

Likewise, at the beginning of the season, when the Killer B's are healthy, they were 11 games over .500... and, I haven't done the math, but it's now around 15 games over .500. As I've stated a bazillion times: when the three of them are clicking, no one can keep up.

Psycho Ward 86
01-12-2017, 12:40 PM
You're 100% right...I will. When it comes to these games, I'm a pessimist...lol.

Hard to blame you. I think we'll win but I definitely dont feel great about it at all. If it makes you feel any better, one of my biggest concerns is Ben's play on the road. In the 5 games where he was healthy in an away game (minus the eagles game aberration), Ben threw 7 TD's, 4 INT's, 1194 yards, 63.8% completion, 7.5 YPA, for an 90.5 QB rating. I dont know about you, but thats significantly better than I thought.

steel striker
01-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Looks like the weather is going to be a factor icy mess should be interestingand, I think it hurts the steelers some in the passing game. Bell had great day against the bills in the snow. Plus KC uses short screens and, dump passes.

polamalubeast
01-12-2017, 03:06 PM
First, allow me to confirm your concerns. KC is (IMO) the toughest out left in the playoffs. I was hoping like hell that they'd knock off the Taperiots, and we'd have the Chiefs at home. Alas...

Now, a dose of optimism.

19-2 is pretty darn impressive.
So is BB's record in cold weather (13-1).

Likewise, at the beginning of the season, when the Killer B's are healthy, they were 11 games over .500... and, I haven't done the math, but it's now around 15 games over .500. As I've stated a bazillion times: when the three of them are clicking, no one can keep up.

One reason why I am confident that the Steelers will win this game is because the chiefs are not very good against the run

If Bell is dominant and our defense continues to play as in the past two months, Roethlisberger will just have to be good (not great but just good) to win this game, unless our special team is a big disaster.

AtlantaDan
01-12-2017, 03:23 PM

polamalubeast
01-12-2017, 03:35 PM

AtlantaDan
01-12-2017, 03:44 PM

They could replace Toussaint with Hargrave and it would be an upgrade

SteelMember
01-12-2017, 04:11 PM

True story.

Method28
01-12-2017, 04:12 PM
One reason why I am confident that the Steelers will win this game is because the chiefs are not very good against the run

If Bell is dominant and our defense continues to play as in the past two months, Roethlisberger will just have to be good (not great but just good) to win this game, unless our special team is a big disaster.
I agree for the most part. Most important part of that game plan would be to start off well. We cannot get behind early, committing turnovers and continue to run run run

polamalubeast
01-12-2017, 04:13 PM

teegre
01-12-2017, 04:57 PM

The Steelers should win, because they simply have the superior talent (IMO).

But... the great equalizer is quick points (turnovers and/or special teams).

Here's to no turnovers by the Steelers, and minimal damage on special teams.

polamalubeast
01-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Here's to no turnovers by the Steelers, and minimal damage on special teams.

Bill Cowher: Key to Chiefs-Steelers is Turnover Battle

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/01/12/bill-cowher-key-to-chiefs-steelers-is-turnover-battle/

Psycho Ward 86
01-12-2017, 05:28 PM

Toussaint still practiced in a limited capacity so im not holding my breath. Would be hilarious if he broke off a big return in his KR debut with us.

So many ifs.

polamalubeast
01-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Toussaint still practiced in a limited capacity so im not holding my breath. Would be hilarious if he broke off a big return in his KR debut with us.

So many ifs.

That would be the perfect time for that.

Iron Steeler
01-12-2017, 07:41 PM

Hahaha

Dude is sooo slow

01-12-2017, 08:04 PM

Here's to no turnovers by the Steelers, and minimal damage on special teams. Agreed and if we can get both Bell and Brown involved we should win.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps we have what it takes to be a SB winning team with Ben, Bell and Brown. Juts like others in the past. Montana , Craig, Rice. Aikman, Smith, Irvin.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Cowboys might have the nucleus as well this year with Dak, Zeke and Bryant but the still are the poor man version of us.

SteelMayhem72
01-12-2017, 10:13 PM
You sound just like me brother.

stillers4me
01-13-2017, 05:36 AM

- - - Updated - - -

86WARD
01-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Maybe some home fans will stay away from the game???

tube517
01-13-2017, 07:58 AM

I don't think I am ever comfortable. Under Cowher and Tomlin the (playoff) games were/are just too close to relax.

AtlantaDan
01-13-2017, 08:00 AM
This nugget in a story in the KC Star regarding the struggle of former Chiefs coach Marty Scottenheimer and his family with Alzheimer's

Twenty-five seasons ago, Schottenheimer delivered the Chiefs’ first postseason victory since winning Super Bowl IV on Jan. 11, 1970. In fact, he still holds three of the meager four playoff victories they’ve tallied since winning it all.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article126264229.html

Another example of how spoiled we are with the Steelers success - a similar situation would be if the Steelers did not win another playoff game for 22 seasons after their only Super Bowl win (and appearance) in January 1975 and had only won 4 playoff games since then

polamalubeast
01-13-2017, 08:03 AM
I don't think I am ever comfortable. Under Cowher and Tomlin the (playoff) games were/are just too close to relax.

In the last 15-20 years, this is very rare that a team wins the super bowl without adversity in the playoffs.

I think the steelers are ready for that, because of the game against the ravens that the steelers had in Christmas.

tube517
01-13-2017, 08:07 AM
In the last 15-20 years, this is very rare that a team wins the super bowl without adversity in the playoffs.

I think the steelers are ready for that, because of the game against the ravens that the steelers had in Christmas.

I'm not saying they can't win. I am just always nervous in playoff games. Relaxing is a hard thing to do come playoff time.

polamalubeast
01-13-2017, 08:12 AM
I'm not saying they can't win. I am just always nervous in playoff games. Relaxing is a hard thing to do come playoff time.

I know you think that the Steelers can win.

Me too,I am always very nervous, I think I am the most nervous person on this forum, especially when the offense is on the field, because I'm always afraid a player gets hurt(Le'Veon Bell or Ben) or that the steelers have a turnovers.

Psycho Ward 86
01-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Maybe we can go back to the Najeh Davenport days where we had a big boy doing kick returns :lol:

vader29
01-13-2017, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qS-TYQkCcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76IsptyD5L4

tube517
01-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Maybe we can go back to the Najeh Davenport days where we had a big boy doing kick returns :lol:

Or Gary Russell?

teegre
01-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Relaxing is a hard thing to do come playoff time.

The good news is that BB tends to do much better once the adrenaline gets flowing: 2-minute drill... after getting hit... playoffs...

Case in point:
He started of the Miami game great (whereas, normally, he tends to have a slow build up). As long as BB doesn't ease up (which allows his adrenaline level to ebb), he should be fine.

steel striker
01-13-2017, 12:19 PM
With all of the ice that is expected is there a chance that the game could be moved or cancelled?

43Hitman
01-13-2017, 12:37 PM
With all of the ice that is expected is there a chance that the game could be moved or cancelled?We could always just play it in Pittsburgh...lol

teegre
01-13-2017, 02:02 PM
With all of the ice that is expected is there a chance that the game could be moved or cancelled?

None.

The only thing that cancels a game is lightning.

86WARD
01-13-2017, 02:13 PM
The game was moved to Sunday at 8:20pm.

http://m.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Chiefs-kickoff-time-changed/e61307ef-2ccf-49ec-bf25-cec93d0a06d8

UGH.........

tube517
01-13-2017, 02:20 PM

http://m.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Chiefs-kickoff-time-changed/e61307ef-2ccf-49ec-bf25-cec93d0a06d8

UGH.........

So this was an NBC game even at 1 pm?

AtlantaDan
01-13-2017, 02:36 PM

UGH.........

Definite disruption to pregame routine for Steelers - they presumably are used to hanging around the hotel for night games on the road but in this case will need to rework staying at hotel and facilities for pregame meetings/meals through Sunday afternoon since they were checking out Sunday morning

Discussion of potential impact in this link to ESPN video

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18468742

So this was an NBC game even at 1 pm?

Yep

NBC presumably heartbroken it now will get a playoff game in prime time and need to preempt Dateline and The Apprentice (maybe the executive producer for The Apprentice will share his thoughts about that on Twitter) :chuckle:

86WARD
01-13-2017, 03:05 PM
That's going to be a long wait in that hotel room...lol.

teegre
01-14-2017, 10:18 AM
I woke up with an answer to the dilemma of punting to Tyreek Hill: score on every single possession. Duh... then you don't have to punt to him. :thumbsup: You'd still have to kick it off to him, but you can (try to) launch it through the back of the end-zone.

polamalubeast
01-14-2017, 11:36 AM

teegre
01-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Stats...

The Steelers are 8-1 when Bell has 20+ touches. The one loss was against the Taperiots (without BB).

SUMMATION:
The ice storm might "force" the Steelers to run Bell 20+ times. YES!!!

BigBen2004
01-14-2017, 08:01 PM
Man am I nervous.

To know it could all end in 24 hours, is not a fun thought.

We made it this far last year. I'd hate to lose in the divisional round again..

And almost EVERYONE is picking the Chiefs

fansince'76
01-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Man am I nervous.

To know it could all end in 24 hours, is not a fun thought.

We made it this far last year. I'd hate to lose in the divisional round again..

And almost EVERYONE is picking the Chiefs

I feel better that we'll actually have our all-world WR and RB as opposed to 4th stringers out there like last year in Denver...

BigBen2004
01-14-2017, 08:26 PM
I feel better that we'll actually have our all-world WR and RB as opposed to 4th stringers out there like last year in Denver...

I agree, but, if road Ben shows up and we have to play catch-up, we are doomed.

fansince'76
01-14-2017, 08:29 PM
I agree, but, if road Ben shows up and we have to play catch-up, we are doomed.

I honestly haven't been worried about that since the end of the Ravens game. When everyone else was celebrating AB's winning TD, the look on Roethlisberger's face was all business. He's on a mission.

teegre
01-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Manny Sanders was in NFL Network.

He admitted that as a former Steeler, he's biased... and, he's picking the Steelers to go all the way. His analysis was simple: you have a HOF QB, HOF RB, and HOF WR... they can win on ice, in snow, on grass, on turf, you name it.

I've stated the same thing (as nauseum): when the Killer B's are clicking, no one can keep up.

86WARD
01-14-2017, 09:12 PM
I still don't feel any good about this game...

salamander
01-14-2017, 10:00 PM

Me either.
Yeah, I know, positive thoughts.

BigBen2004
01-14-2017, 10:12 PM

Not alone man. I'm terrified.

We can have all the talent in the world. Doesn't matter if you can't utilize it to it's fullest.

polamalubeast
01-14-2017, 10:17 PM
Fortunately the players are not scared like the fans!

fansince'76
01-14-2017, 10:20 PM
Fortunately the players are not scared like the fans!

Word.

That said, I'll get nervous at gametime.

Shoes
01-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Steelers win by 10 or more.

polamalubeast
01-14-2017, 10:23 PM
Word.

That said, I'll get nervous at gametime.

Same for me

I'm nervous, but I'm always nervous before each game.

salamander
01-14-2017, 10:31 PM
The question is, will the Brady-slobbing NFL allow the Chiefs or Steelers to actually beat their beloved Patriots** IN Foxboro?

fansince'76
01-14-2017, 10:38 PM
The question is, will the Brady-slobbing NFL allow the Cheifs or Steelers to actually beat their beloved Patriots** IN Foxboro?

Let's not go all "Seahawks fan" now.

salamander
01-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Let's not go all "Seahawks fan" now.

Hey, someone's gotta ruffle some feathers. :chuckle:

01-14-2017, 11:51 PM
I still don't feel any good about this game... Have some faith and others said they will win out. I said they would lose one and they out did my prediction. To much talent on this team to be negative.

AtlantaDan
01-15-2017, 08:20 AM
The question is, will the Brady-slobbing NFL allow the Cheifs or Steelers to actually beat their beloved Patriots** IN Foxboro?

Steelers at least are a high ratings team - Falcons fans paranoid Goodell wants Packers or Cowboys out of the NFC

Falcons-Chiefs is the Super Bowl matchup the NFL does not want

teegre
01-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Falcons-Chiefs is the Super Bowl matchup the NFL does not want

Aside from Steelers-Falcons, that is actually the matchup which I am the most interested in watching.

teegre
01-15-2017, 09:11 AM
I was watching the NFL show on ESPN with Merril Hoge and Trey Wingo. It's the one show that authentically breaks down film and has actual analysis.

Trey was talking about how the Chiefs love screens (thoughts of the Eagles game flashed in front of my eyes :scared: )... and he stated that the Steelers are exceptional at stuffing screens. Did I hear that correctly???

He showed a few examples, but the one that stuck out was against the Ravens (Week 16). He highlighted Steve Smith, Sr. going out to block, and Trey commented on how good Smith is at blocking. Then, Artie Burns throws Smith aside stuffs the screen for minimal gain. Wow!!! I hadn't really noticed, but our young defenders have grown up immensely. I mean, I knew they were good, but that example was textbook.

pczach
01-15-2017, 09:25 AM
I was watching the NFL show on ESPN with Merril Hoge and Trey Wingo. It's the one show that authentically breaks down film and has actual analysis.

Trey was talking about how the Chiefs love screens (thoughts of the Eagles game flashed in front of my eyes :scared: )... and he stated that the Steelers are exceptional at stuffing screens. Did I hear that correctly???

He showed a few examples, but the one that stuck out was against the Ravens (Week 16). He highlighted Steve Smith, Sr. going out to block, and Trey commented on how good Smith is at blocking. Then, Artie Burns throws Smith aside stuffs the screen for minimal gain. Wow!!! I hadn't really noticed, but our young defenders have grown up immensely. I mean, I knew they were good, but that example was textbook.

Our young defenders have improved. They have shown the speed, athleticism, and effort to stop them.

Andy Reid is the best user of the screen game in the NFL IMO. He uses many different screens, and is always showing different looks, and running misdirection to surprise the defense by faking one way and running the screen on the opposite side of the field.

They will have their work cut out for them tonight.

polamalubeast
01-15-2017, 10:18 AM
The Steelers are too good to not believe in them!

GoSlash27
01-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Don't believe the hype about the weather. I'm down here now, and what little ice there was is almost completely gone. It will be chilly and rainy during the game, but no ice.
Also don't believe the hype about the noise at Arrowhead. Steeler Nation is out in force today.

Best,
-Slashy

polamalubeast
01-15-2017, 10:50 AM

cold-hard-steel
01-15-2017, 10:54 AM
I don't fear this game because i am "a believer", no time to be a non-believer here,but you guys knock yourselves out . Nearly time to set that table man ! GO STEELERS !!!!!!! Oh what a setting it will be !

BigBen2004
01-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Sorry that I'm being impartial. Realistic.
We're allowed to be nervous. I'll still be cheering them on and praying for a win. It doesn't make me any less of a fan. I refuse to walk around with the shades on 24/7.

Having said that, we have more talent. We should win.

polamalubeast
01-15-2017, 11:08 AM
The loser of this game will be the Head Coach in the Pro Bowl!

Edman
01-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Gameday.

"they need to start wining some games and they can no lose any more games."

01-15-2017, 11:54 AM
The loser of this game will be the Head Coach in the Pro Bowl! I remember when Cowher use to be a fixture as the coach when it use to be the AFC Championship loser.

polamalubeast
01-15-2017, 11:57 AM
I remember when Cowher use to be a fixture as the coach when it use to be the AFC Championship loser.

same for Andy Reid in the NFC.

01-15-2017, 12:04 PM
same for Andy Reid in the NFC. Yep and was thinking that too. They both really enjoyed there annual Hawaiian Vacation. I don't know where the PB is held this year but lets giving Andy another vacation for all his hard work he done this year.

86WARD
01-15-2017, 02:22 PM
We'd be in the third quarter right now...

fansince'76
01-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Aside from Steelers-Falcons, that is actually the matchup which I am the most interested in watching.

Agreed. The one they probably want the most (Cowboys/Patriots) I won't watch.

stillers4me
01-15-2017, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking they would prefer the Brady/Rogers lovefest.

fansince'76
01-15-2017, 04:22 PM
I'm thinking they would prefer the Brady/Rogers lovefest.

I'll probably go skiing for that one too...