PDA

View Full Version : Scout some of your favorite teams.

Texasteel
09-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Tell us about the players on some of you favorite teams, and how they might fit into the Steelers lineup.

My team would of course be the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Adrian Clayborn DE 6"4, 285. Look very good so far. Quick and instinctive. Always around the QB on a pass rush, usually the one on top. Good run stopper as well, and run down the line and make the outside tackle. Probably gone before we pick in the 1st round, but if he is there, I would love this pick.

Christain Ballard DE 6'5", 295. Moved to DE and not that far behind Clayborn. Last year had 54 TT, 9TFL, and 5.5 Sacks. Would make our D-line younger and deeper. May be a 3 round pick, but could move into the 2nd round. I think would be a very good 2 or 3 round pick for us.

Ricky Stanzi QB 6'4", 225. Big, strong armed QB that can run, even if he is not that fast, but is always looking to throw. The knock on Ricky is his decision making. What I have see so far this year he looks more settled and thinking better on his feet. A little like Ben as he can move in the pocket, while looking for an open man, has a strong arm that can be accurate in stretches and then throw one into next week. If we can cut down on the mistakes would be a good pick for someone. Probable a 3rd or 4 rounder. Could make a #3 QB for us if they think Dixon is read to be #2.

Darrell Johnson WR 6'1", 200, Runs a mid 4.4. Has show good hands this year, but have seen him drop a couple of easy ones in the past. Good size, Good speed, and if your playing for Iowa you better be able to block at least a little. Likely a 3rd or 4th round pick, but considering this years draft I would say a very long shot for us.

Brett Greenwood FS 6'0" 200, Not fast at all, but seems to always be where he is suppose to be. The sort of player that you don't notice that much, but when you see the box score at the end you think he had a pretty good game. Tackles well, and is around to ball. 55 TT, and 3 Ints last year. Likely a 6th round pick. A kid I would like to see us take a shot at late in the draft.

Jeremiha Hunter LB 6'2", 235, Played in the shadows of Angerer and Edds last year, but still had 89 TT. Second in number of tackles the last to year, and will likely do the same thing this year. Need a very good year this year, but think he will be a late round pick, maybe a FA.

Brett Morse FB 6'3", 238, Known as a blocking back, but can pound the line when asked to. Also can catch the ball out of the backfield. Already has a receiving TD this year. Will not likely get drafted. FA.

Julian Vandervelde OG 6'3, 305 I think he is an underrated OG that does a good job in Iowas blocking scheme. Don't see him as a huge upgrade over what we have, but as a FA could be worth a look.

LLT
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
....what if I dont watch just one team?

Can I just list some of my favorite players????!!!!!

Texasteel
09-15-2010, 03:11 PM
....what if I dont watch just one team?

Can I just list some of my favorite players????!!!!!

Of course you can. Just trying to get the ball rolling, its dead in here.

LLT
09-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Of course you can. Just trying to get the ball rolling, its dead in here.

Good...(You know I love this stuff!!!)

Here are some players I like...whose draft status could rise.

Offensive Tackle: Nate Potter of Boise State......A lot of sites have him at 6'6 and around 295...but he is now up to 306 lbs and apparantly he has been told that his draft status will maximize if he can get up to around 315. Potter played on a line in 2009 that only gave up 5 sacks all year and had 4 different running backs rack up 100 yard games.

Potter was a first team All-WAC left tackle ...but was practicing at left guard this year due to Boise having little depth at the position and because Potrter has the strength to manhandle DT's. At the last minute they moved the backup center to guard and put Potter back at left tackle to protect the QB's blind side. Great feet...nice knee bend...Good anchor.

Offensive Tackle: Derek Sherrod of Mississippi State, Height: 6-6. Weight: 305 ....I wouldnt mind seeing this guy in Black & Gold....Equally adept at run blocking and Pass blocking...Long arms and great upper body strength...might need a year in a NFL strength program to build more lower body strength, but already has a fantastic understanding of leverage.

As far as NT's ...Like everyone else, I like Jerrell Powe of Ole Miss and Kendrick Ellis of Hampton (You might remember I had Ellis ranked as the #2 NT lst year...and now he has risen to that rank on most boards)....As far as sleepers:

Anthony Gray of Southern Miss who is 6'0 314 lbs...he had 7 1/2 TFL last year and two sacks.

Lawton Scott of Ole Miss.... 6'2 322 lbs... overshadowed by Jerrell Powell, he is still a beast and might be a value in the later rounds.

There are three guards that I like... John Moffitt of Wisconsin, 6'5 320 lbs.... Ben Ijalana of Villanova, 6'4 320 lbs...and Mike Pouncey, C/G from Florida 6'5 320 lbs.

Its getting about time for my meeting...so I will give some others later

SteelerSal
09-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Good stuff, guys..I like reading these.

Not able to watch as much college ball like I used to so I need to rely on you guys.

Texasteel
09-17-2010, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=LLT;56046]Good...(You know I love this stuff!!!)

Here are some players I like...whose draft status could rise.

Offensive Tackle: Nate Potter of Boise State......A lot of sites have him at 6'6 and around 295...but he is now up to 306 lbs and apparantly he has been told that his draft status will maximize if he can get up to around 315. Potter played on a line in 2009 that only gave up 5 sacks all year and had 4 different running backs rack up 100 yard games.

Potter was a first team All-WAC left tackle ...but was practicing at left guard this year due to Boise having little depth at the position and because Potrter has the strength to manhandle DT's. At the last minute they moved the backup center to guard and put Potter back at left tackle to protect the QB's blind side. Great feet...nice knee bend...Good anchor.

Saw him play last week and liked him. He look to have great technique, and very quick feet. Looked like the type that may move right past us into the 1st round. I thought he looked a little weak at times in the game I saw, but plan to watch more of him.

Offensive Tackle: Derek Sherrod of Mississippi State, Height: 6-6. Weight: 305 ....I wouldnt mind seeing this guy in Black & Gold....Equally adept at run blocking and Pass blocking...Long arms and great upper body strength...might need a year in a NFL strength program to build more lower body strength, but already has a fantastic understanding of leverage.

Haven't watched this kid much yet, but have been reading up on him. I've seen him ranked in both the 1st, and 2nd round. Another one I intend to watch.

As far as NT's ...Like everyone else, I like Jerrell Powe of Ole Miss and Kendrick Ellis of Hampton (You might remember I had Ellis ranked as the #2 NT lst year...and now he has risen to that rank on most boards)

I liked Powe last year, and after the draft had him penciled in as my top choice for the Steelers this year, even though I know he likely will not make it to us. But we both know when the time comes I'll be screaming for an OT.

Anthony Gray of Southern Miss who is 6'0 314 lbs...he had 7 1/2 TFL last year and two sacks.

Lawton Scott of Ole Miss.... 6'2 322 lbs... overshadowed by Jerrell Powell, he is still a beast and might be a value in the later rounds.

There are three guards that I like... John Moffitt of Wisconsin, 6'5 320 lbs.... Ben Ijalana of Villanova, 6'4 320 lbs...and Mike Pouncey, C/G from Florida 6'5 320 lbs.

I hope the catch the rest as the year go's on. Thank Bud.

LLT
09-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Good stuff, guys..I like reading these.

Not able to watch as much college ball like I used to so I need to rely on you guys.

No problem

LLT
09-18-2010, 01:58 PM
If we go ahead and draft another DE in this next draft i think it may be a higher draft pick than what we have seen in the last few years.

IF we go for one in the first round, I like Cameron Heyward of Ohio State He stands 6'5 285 lbs...(he is the son of "Ironhead" Heyward...for you old timers like me) He had 6 1/2 sacks last year and 10 TFL's. If he slid inthe first round I wouldnt be dissapointed in the Steelers grabbing him.

A late first round pick could be Jared Crick of Nebraska...he had 9 1/2 sacks last year and 12 1/2 tackles for loss. He is 6'6 285 lbs.

If we are looking for 2-3 rounders then Cameron Jordan from California would be a good pick... 6'4 290....He had 11 TFL and 4 sacks is sophomore year then turned around last year and recorded eight TFL and five sacks.

DE Allen Bailey from Miami still makes me nervous and I would like to see at least one more productive year from him. He is 6'4 and 290 lbs....and could project anywhere from round 1-3.

Derek Wolfe from Cincinnati has the size that Tomlin seems to like in DE's...he is 6'5 300 lbs and finished last season with 8 TFL's and 5 sacks.

As far as Cornerbacks, I like:

Curtis Brown out of Texas...but he might end up being the #1 CB taken this next year... He is 6'0 180 and runs a 4.42 forty...not afraid to get dirty or stick a helmet on someone.

Rashad Carmichael from Virginia Tech is interesting but I want to see more of him...He is 5'10 182 lbs and runs a lightning quick 4.38 forty

South Carolina's Chris Culliver is 6'0 197 lbs and runs a 4.45 forty...He is another CB that is good in run support but has the speed to cover recievers.

LLT
09-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Just out of curiosity...what postions does everyone think we might target in the first three rounds?

I think that OT is still a priority..and the D-line and CB are still upgradable. Depending on who we resign, OG might be targeted... and I think we might even look at TE's.

LLT
09-19-2010, 07:58 AM
I have already mentioned small school prospects Kendrick Ellis the NT from Hampton and OT Ben Ijalana of Villanova

Here are a few more small school prospects that we might consider at key positions...(and at a value)

DE Cedric Thornton of Southern Arkansas is 6'4 295 lbs... 80 tackles with an incredible 23 TFL and 8.5 sacks. he also added 2 forced fumbles and 2 blocked kicks ...Reminds me of Kendall Langford. Should be a 3rd-4th round draft pick at this point but might shoot up the boards a bit before the draft.

OT/OG Will Rackley of Lehigh is projected to go in the 6th round as of now..he is 6'4 and 305 lbs. Though not the prospect that Villanova's Ben Ijalana will be....he is still a legit athletic talent.

The Citadel's Cortez Allen is a CB that runs a 4.45 forty....he is 6'1 193 lbs. Last year he had 57 tackles and 3 interceptions. Started this season with an 8 yard interception return for a TD in the first game. A 3-4 round prospect as of now.

Texasteel
09-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Just out of curiosity...what postions does everyone think we might target in the first three rounds?

I think that OT is still a priority..and the D-line and CB are still upgradable. Depending on who we resign, OG might be targeted... and I think we might even look at TE's.

I think we go OT, CB, DL. Not sure it sure it will be in that order though. After a couple of games I may throw out a mock, just to start people thinking.

LLT
09-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Fantastic...and I think you are right on the money with the positions.

(Keep an eye on my DE sleeper..Cedric Thornton of Southern Arkansas)

steelersfanman92
09-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I am a fan of Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan, he is 6-4 270 lb DE. He is a dominant force on the line and is able to get to the QB and he has forced a good amount of fumbles. So far this season he has 19 tackles and 2 sacks. He is a finalist for the Lombardi Award, Lott Trophy, and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy. He is definetely one to watch this year.

SteelerSal
09-19-2010, 10:08 AM

I'm hoping we focus on DT/DE and OT in the first three rounds. I hope we have the CB position figured out and the young players we already have step up for the future.
The big boys on both sides of the ball need to be addressed. IMO
The D-line needs youth and the O-line needs help.

LLT
09-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I am a fan of Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan, he is 6-4 270 lb DE. He is a dominant force on the line and is able to get to the QB and he has forced a good amount of fumbles. So far this season he has 19 tackles and 2 sacks. He is a finalist for the Lombardi Award, Lott Trophy, and the Bronko Nagurski Trophy. He is definetely one to watch this year.

Dude is a BEAST!!!! last year he had 18 1/2 TFL's... 13 sacks...and an INCREDIBLE 7 forced fumbles. I think he will end up being a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 OLB.

Don't let his current rankings fool you. He is projected by most sites to to go in the 2nd round but If he has a season like he did last year....he is a top 15 pick!!!

SteelerSal
09-19-2010, 10:43 AM
What do you guys think about Mike Martin (DT from Michigan) ? http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/martin_mike00.html

I watched him play yesterday and he looked like he had the motorand speed to convert to DE (he has the size of A. Smith).

LLT
09-19-2010, 11:06 AM
What do you guys think about Mike Martin (DT from Michigan) ? http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/martin_mike00.html

I watched him play yesterday and he looked like he had the motorand speed to convert to DE (he has the size of A. Smith).

I love players like Mike Martin. Not ranked very high because he is sort of a tweener....but the fact remains that he is a fireplug and last year he had 51 tackles, 8.5 TFL's, two sacks, and one forced fumble!!!

If he put on another 15 lbs he would probably maximize his draft status as a NT. Good core strength and speed but at 6'2 295, he might be a little too short and stocky to play 3-4 DE...more because of his body built then anything else.

Players like this can be steal in the draft..so I will be keeping an eye on him!!

Aussie_steeler
09-20-2010, 07:30 AM
I am having a hard time getting my head around things at the moment. I might try thinking out loud ( and typing)

2011 free agents that most likely will be signed?
a. Woodley
b. Colon
c. Fox

2011 Free agent casualties
a. Ike Taylor
b. Trai Essex

After the 2010 draft I would have said that the needs for a couple of seasons down the road would be ILB and NT. My two first round prospects would have been Donta Hightower ( ILB Alabama) and Jerrell Powe ( NT Ole Miss).

I think Stevenson Sylvester could well make the need for a high ILB pick in the 2011 redundant. I also think that Jerrell Powe is too dumb to be considered by the steeler Front Office. The activation of McClendon today shows that there is some promise there at NT so that position might be on hold for a little longer.

I also believe that the steelers dont like to pick the 4 or 5th ranked player at a position at the back end of the first round. If you are going to pay good money for a 1st rounder then you want to make sure its close to the best player at his position.

If they are drafting between 20 & 32 then they are likely to be in the best place to take the best OG or 2nd best 3-4 DE in the entire draft.

At this stage I would say the positions of need are:

OG, DE, RT, CB and maybe NT

Havent seen any college football so I am behind the curve on players this year. At the moment I am looking at Clint Boling from Georgia and Justin Boren from Ohio state as steeler type guards.

My pimp pick is Matt Reynolds OT BYU, but that just aint gunna happen. And by the way tex, i have got my eye on your boy Christian Ballard. He might just fit the bill at DE.

Texasteel
09-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Reynolds is one that I want to watch Aussie. I'm sure he would make a good RT, I want to see if he has the foot work to be a LT.

Aussie_steeler
09-22-2010, 03:46 AM
I would really love to see a top 3 guard taken to team up with Maurkice. I can still remember the dominant steeler days when the interior of the O line was all-pro calibre. Dawson / Faneca and Hartings / Faneca

Maurkice looks like he is going to fit that bill, I would like to see a guard of similar quality beside him. Keen to see which of college tackles and guards rise to the top of the 2011 draft class.

LLT
09-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I would really love to see a top 3 guard taken to team up with Maurkice. I can still remember the dominant steeler days when the interior of the O line was all-pro calibre. Dawson / Faneca and Hartings / Faneca

Maurkice looks like he is going to fit that bill, I would like to see a guard of similar quality beside him. Keen to see which of college tackles and guards rise to the top of the 2011 draft class.

How about having the first Twin Tandem at guard and center?

Texasteel
09-24-2010, 09:47 AM

I would love to see Maurkice teamed up with his brother Mike. I beleive Mike at this point is the best OG in school. I also think Mike will cost us a 1st round pick.

Another kid I want to watch more of is Marcus Cannon of TCU. This 358 pounder is playing LT this year but will never see a down in the pros at that position. I still see him as a OG, and can be a very good one, If he can play RT great, but I think he will find a home beside the center.

steelersfanman92
10-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I think Tyler Replogle LB from IU is an interesting player. He has a good nose for the ball and I think he would be a good late round pick. He had 50 tackles on the season going into today. He is not a very big guy but plays fast, he kind of reminds me of a Scott Mckillop type player.

Steeltreal
12-04-2010, 01:31 PM
3rd round - Mario Harvey 6'-0 250 lbs out of Marshall. inside Linebacker that has improved every year and runs a 4.4 40 yard dash. I would like to see Sylvester starting over Foote , Fox and Farrior if he returns next year.

2nd round - Jason Pinkston - Pittsburgh (HT: 6-3½ - WT: 307) OG. Great speed on pulls and run blocking , Kemo is constantly banged up and too much shuffeling at guard. Might not start right away but most of the line took a year or two themselves.

1st round - Any DE preferably top 15 talent would like them to trade up to grab a top 10 corner

Steeltreal
12-04-2010, 01:42 PM
2011 free agents that most likely will be signed?
a. Woodley
b. Colon
c. Fox

2011 Free agent casualties
a. Ike Taylor
b. Trai Essex

I think Ike needs to be moved up to #2 behind Colon. Woodley and Fox should be the Casualties. Fox couldnt stop them from bringing back Larry Foote and carrying Sylvester as a 5th ILB . Woodley - (The one Trick Pony) aka the bull rush, is having a terrible season.