PDA

View Full Version : Butler can go

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 01:37 PM
LeBeau Lite garbage.

#GiveBackPoints and the end of the half prevent.

Just like ol' Dick.

Count Steeler
01-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Have to agree with the prevent, drives me crazy.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 02:02 PM
This system has been overrated for 15 years. It's a different league now.

And it can't keep up.

- - - Updated - - -

Talent isn't the issue. The scheme is.

- - - Updated - - -

If there's a GOD Wade Phillips turns the Browns down and we hire him.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh btw, I hate the empty set on offense, always have,

And that was the formation that picked off Ben

I want a RB in the backfield, on every play.

Count Steeler
01-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Come on, Ben connected with Brown, Brown let the ball go through his hands. That is not on the formation or on Ben, it is on Brown.

However, that drive should have used a lot more play action and quick hitters. Miami just got rolled over, so they sold out for the run.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 02:12 PM
I know, but it was also tight coverage. A RB check just gives Ben an easy out.

- - - Updated - - -

Run and kick it.

- - - Updated - - -

Toddy sneaks Grimble into the game.

Didn't fool them.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Run and kick it.....again....

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Any time they use that stupid formation just run it.,

- - - Updated - - -

Don't squeeze the Juice!

Don't squeeze the Juice!

Don't squeeze the Juice!

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 02:45 PM
I'm telling you, the TALENT is there on defense,

The scheme is what's hurt them.

- - - Updated - - -

Have a chance to KO them and we turtle.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at Bud Dupree

- - - Updated - - -

Run the Tampa Flea Flicker and send these pricks home.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Already in prevent.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 03:06 PM
6 points in three quarters, Now we go prevent.

It's the system, not the talent.

- - - Updated - - -

Why thriw there? Setting up Ben to get hit.

- - - Updated - - -

Simms laughing at Haley.

- - - Updated - - -

Guy kicks the ball and no flag. LOL

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 03:16 PM
V

Rotorhead
01-08-2017, 03:18 PM
In case you weren't watching, we won, and won handily. I guess we can see why you are not a coach in the NFL.

st33lersguy
01-08-2017, 03:19 PM
12 points overall not bad. Btw, Todd Haley's offense got 30 points and Le'Veon set a team playoff record

Hawkman
01-08-2017, 03:22 PM
.......and so can you.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Crash,you can go too.

I know our pass defense is not the best,but 12 points is not bad.

Hawkman
01-08-2017, 03:23 PM
12 points overall not bad. Btw, Todd Haley's offense got 30 points and Le'Veon set a team playoff record

....and Nix and Johnson threw some GREAT blocks!

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 03:24 PM
....and Nix and Johnson threw some GREAT blocks!

and Hubbard!

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 03:25 PM
CBS post game show laughing at Todd Haley for getting Ben hit late.

Craic
01-08-2017, 03:26 PM
How many times did we run out of a big-body lineup and watch Bell just eat up yards. It was beautiful.

As far as defense goes . . . the Steelers allows SIX points in the game while it was still contestable, and only one TD, that being in junk time. Even then, a great defensive play ended the two point conversion. Sometimes, i think people just complain to complain.

Count Steeler
01-08-2017, 03:28 PM
How many times did we run out of a big-body lineup and watch Bell just eat up yards. It was beautiful.

As far as defense goes . . . the Steelers allows SIX points in the game while it was still contestable, and only one TD, that being in junk time. Even then, a great defensive play ended the two point conversion. Sometimes, i think people just complain to complain.

At least he did it here, on his own. Something he should do more of. It is easy to impress your audience, when you have an audience of 1.

Hawkman
01-08-2017, 03:32 PM
:hockeyfight:
At least he did it here, on his own. Something he should do more of. It is easy to impress your audience, when you have an audience of 1.

:sofunny:

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 03:39 PM
In case you weren't watching, we won, and won handily. I guess we can see why you are not a coach in the NFL.

Actually if you paid attention Haley started the game the way I wish he did every week.

Three wides, a TE, RB, Ben.

14-0.

Which made it 5 straight TD drives for the first team offense with this and the Ravens game.

And Toddy's tricks and pets were nowhere to be found.

#CRASHFormation

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Actually if you paid attention Haley started the game the way I wish he did every week.

Three wides, a TE, RB, Ben.

14-0.

Which made it 5 straight TD drives for the first team offense with this and the Ravens game.

And Toddy's tricks and pets were nowhere to be found.

#CRASHFormation

Did you see the 3rd drives?...In general,5.7 yards per play with Hubbard as TE

Rotorhead
01-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Oh, I forgot, Haley took a page out of the Crash playbook . . . smh

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Did you see the 3rd drives?...In general,5.7 yards per play with Hubbard as TE

Don't need Hubbard, also putting him out there is risky because he backs up BOTH tackles.

Where was Hubbard when the season was on the line?

Where was Hubbard when we started this game?

Where was Hubbard in Washington?

Where was Hubbard against Dallas?

Where was Hubbard against the Chiefs?

On the goddamn bench where he should be until someone gets hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I forgot, Haley took a page out of the Crash playbook . . . smh

Yeah he did. 14-0.

#CRASHFormation

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Don't need Hubbard, also putting him out there is risky because he backs up BOTH tackles.

Where was Hubbard when the season was on the line?

Where was Hubbard when we started this game?

Where was Hubbard in Washington?

Where was Hubbard against Dallas?

Where was Hubbard against the Chiefs?

On the goddamn bench where he should be until someone gets hurt.

yeah,5.7 yards per play is awful:coffee:

SteelMayhem72
01-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Is CRASH secretely Todd Haley???? Todd is that you??? You sure did get on our boards quick after the game

Craic
01-08-2017, 03:48 PM
This thread would be hilarious if I didn't believe he was actually serious.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 03:48 PM
yeah,5.7 yards per play is awful:coffee:

What was it the first two drives without him?

What was it in the 4th quarter without him against the Ravens?

Shoes
01-08-2017, 03:49 PM
CBS post game show laughing at Todd Haley for getting Ben hit late.

I honestly think you want the Steelers to lose, so you could prove your bitching points correct.

Count Steeler
01-08-2017, 03:50 PM
I think we should just leave Crash alone in his little playground. He was having so much fun here by himself.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 03:50 PM
What was it the first two drives without him?

What was it in the 4th quarter without him against the Ravens?

Where was Hubbard on the 3rd drivw for a TD?...On the field!

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 03:52 PM
This thread would be hilarious if I didn't believe he was actually serious.

14-0 to start the game doing it my way.

Btw, you still owe me an answer to this question:

Can you please explain how Ms. McNulty knew Ben's TV was "broken" 24 hours BEFORE Ben told her it was?

- - - Updated - - -

Where was Hubbard on the 3rd drivw for a TD?...On the field!

With his 5.7 yards per play.

Now, what was the YPP without him giving the examples I gave you?

smokin3000gt
01-08-2017, 03:53 PM
LeBeau Lite garbage.

#GiveBackPoints and the end of the half prevent.

Just like ol' Dick.

dude just stfu already. if you knew 1/100th of what you think you know you'd be a coach somewhere meaningful instead of schlepping from message board to message board.

polamalubeast
Crash love too much the finesse offense.....He is Chip Kelly I think!

#CRASHFormation
I honestly think you want the Steelers to lose, so you could prove your bitching points correct.

No, I want Todd Haley to realize "situational football" and to be held to the same standard the previous OC was.

If Arians was here called the same play? He's swinging from the Clemente Bridge.

Shoes
01-08-2017, 03:55 PM
No, I want Todd Haley to realize "situational football" and to be held to the same standard the previous OC was.

If Arians was here called the same play? He's swinging from the Clemente Bridge.

Then go apply for his job, because your bitching is on overload.

SteelMayhem72
14-0 to start the game doing it my way.

Btw, you still owe me an answer to this question:

Can you please explain how Ms. McNulty knew Ben's TV was "broken" 24 hours BEFORE Ben told her it was?

- - - Updated - - -

With his 5.7 yards per play.

Now, what was the YPP without him giving the examples I gave you? Answer me this question...do you have tourette's?

smokin3000gt
if someone gets banned, isn't it also against the rules for them to come back under a different name? Why is this asshole still around?

SteelMayhem72
01-08-2017, 03:57 PM
if someone gets banned, isn't it also against the rules for them to come back under a different name? Why is this asshole still around?I dont know...does it block the ip address or is there that technology to do that on this site?

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Crash love too much the finesse offense.....He is Chip Kelly I think!

Todd Haley got a head coaching job for the way he called plays using Whiz's offense.

Not exactly a power offense there.

Nor was our offense the last time we won the Super Bowl.

I think you're just happy to have power football, I don't you care if this team wins.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Todd Haley got a head coaching job for the way he called plays using Whiz's offense.

I think you're just happy to have power football, I don't you care if this team wins.

WOW,c'mon man...This comment is ridiculous

Born2Steel
01-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Why do you guys keep feeding this idiot?

Hawkman
01-08-2017, 04:17 PM

Why are you here?

lipps83
01-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Is this the same Crash from way, way, way back in the day?

86WARD
01-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Is this the same Crash from way, way, way back in the day?

The one that was banned and some hoe worked his way back on the board and has stayed? Lol.

smokin3000gt
01-08-2017, 04:45 PM
He should be banned still from his previous banning. FS gave him a chance which was nice of him but crash is still the same dbag that is still turning every thread into some haley drivel

DesertSteel
01-08-2017, 04:47 PM
This thread is what needs to go!

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Answer me this question...do you have tourette's?

WHAT?

SONOFABITCH

SHIT!

SteelMayhem72
01-08-2017, 04:54 PM
WHAT?

SONOFABITCH

SHIT!Thanks for the answer

Hawkman
01-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Are you the kind of guy who gets out of the car,when the police say, "stay in the car".

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Are you the kind of guy who gets out of the car,when the police say, "stay in the car".

Nope. Don't drive. And I know plenty of cops back in Pittsburgh so I respect what they do.

Hawkman
01-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Nope. Don't drive. And I know plenty of cops back in Pittsburgh so I respect what they do.

That's a good thing.

Butch
01-08-2017, 06:11 PM
I don't see this happening any time soon. The D may not be perfect, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 06:14 PM
I don't see this happening any time soon. The D may not be perfect, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

Crash think than the defense between 2004 to 2010 were nothing special...

Hawkman
01-08-2017, 06:17 PM

.......and Todd is not going and neither is Art jr

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Crash think than the defense between 2004 to 2010 were nothing special...

Then explain how the defense can blow 20 fourth quarter leads from 2007-five games under Haley?

And remember, that's just the LOSSES. Doesn't include the WINS, nor does it include the three blown 4th quarter leads in the first six games of 2005.

Until you explain that? You got nothing.

Hawkman
01-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Then explain how the defense can blow 20 fourth quarter leads from 2007-five games under Haley?

And remember, that's just the LOSSES. Doesn't include the WINS, nor does it include the three blown 4th quarter leads in the first six games of 2005.

You still have to explain why you are here!!

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 06:30 PM

You only judge the defense on the 4th quarter...this is stupid....You must be a big fan of Tim Tebow.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 06:45 PM
.......and Todd is not going and neither is Art jr

Art Jr. doesn't work in the front office anymore.

Haley's not leaving because he's out of friends, and the rest of the league wants nothing to do with him or his cooky wife.

- - - Updated - - -

You only judge the defense on the 4th quarter...this is stupid....You must be a big fan of Tim Tebow.

The 4th quarter defense (or lack of) is LeBeau's biggest issue, WHEREVER HE HAS COACHED.

If you want, I can go back, and do "Give back points" not in the 4th quarter also.

Believe me, you won't like it.

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Haley's not leaving because he's out of friends, and the rest of the league wants nothing to do with him or his cooky wife.

- - - Updated - - -

The 4th quarter defense (or lack of) is LeBeau's biggest issue, WHEREVER HE HAS COACHED.

If you want, I can go back, and do "Give back points" not in the 4th quarter also.

It was still a top 5 defense for most of the time.....

Bluecoat96
01-08-2017, 06:46 PM

- - - Updated - - -

And you know this how?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Butch
01-08-2017, 06:49 PM

Without seeing what happened in the game it is hard to say. Many times the D does their job and the offense is going 3 and out it wears out the D and eventually they break. Not saying that happened every time, just saying without seeing each game it would be very hard to say.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 06:57 PM
It was still a top 5 defense for most of the time.....

That's what happens when the offense protects you.

24 minutes of SB XLIII were played, the defense was on the field only twice, and they gave up a TD.

That's not good defense. That's OUR offense, keeping them off the field.

- - - Updated - - -

And you know this how?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, how many of the 14 teams since the end of the 2014 season who hired new coaches have asked to speak to Haley?

polamalubeast
That's what happens when the offense protects you.

24 minutes of SB XLIII were played, the defense was on the field only twice, and they gave up a TD.

That's not good defense. That's OUR offense, keeping them off the field.

They were often top 5 in points per drive.....

Mojouw
Who were the leads against? How many were from the same game? So in terms of games played how many games were lost due to that? How did the lead changes occur? Did the defense allow a long TD march or fail at trying to hold a short field after a turnover or kick return? As far as I can remember neither Crash Orr the original article by Kascamer broke things down into that fine grained detail. And that's the problem. Like was said elsewhere by someone else, unless your breaking down the film piece by piece, parcelling out blame is really hard.

What if a D.C. Has the perfect call on and the safety falls down. Is that the DCs fault?

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Without seeing what happened in the game it is hard to say. Many times the D does their job and the offense is going 3 and out it wears out the D and eventually they break.

No, what happened was, and remains now, we score, the defense gives it right back.

Always been an issue running this system.

- - - Updated - - -

Did the defense allow a long TD march or fail at trying to hold a short field after a turnover or kick return?

Give

Back

DesertSteel
01-08-2017, 06:59 PM
How many more years before you're old enough to get your license?

Mojouw
01-08-2017, 07:01 PM
What

the

fuck

are

give

back

and why

do

we care

about

a trend

that

happened

under a different DC

and a totally

different

defensive

roster?

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 07:03 PM
They were often top 5 in points per drive.....

Against who?

Like Scott's article says, all the fancy stats you can think of, mean little if they don't perform in big moments.

- - - Updated - - -

What

the

fuck

are

give

back

Simple, our offense scores, and then the defense goes back on the field and gives points right back.

That's why we don't blow teams out. It happened with LeBeau, it happens with Butler.

teegre
01-08-2017, 07:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EheLN-MDzrA&app=desktop

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Against who?

Like Scott's article says, all the fancy stats you can think of, mean little if they don't perform in big moments.

Big Moment,as the pick 6 of Polamalu in the 2008 AFC title game or pick 6 of James Harrison in super bowl 43.....Or when the defense have give up 18 points or less in every game in the 2005 playoffs

Yeah they were terrible in big moment....

I think you hate your mother too.

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Big Moment,as the pick 6 of Polamalu in the 2008 AFC title game or pick 6 of James Harrison in super bowl 43.....Or when the defense have give up 18 points or less in every game in the 2005 playoffs

Hooooooooooooooooooooold it.

Certainly you aren't suggesting the defense "played well" to start the 2005 playoffs, correct?

They gave up 17 points on their first three drives. If not for the offense scoring two TD's out of four drives in the first half the game is over.

Then the defense was going to give up a FG to start the second half, but the Bengals had a bad snap.

THEN, Ben and his offense took the lead their first drive of the 2nd half.

The next week? 15 points given up in the 4th quarter, and were one Vanderject shank from OT.

The Denver game was the only one of the first three games that they played a solid first three quarters.

Context, not box scores.

You're welcome.

st33lersguy
01-08-2017, 07:15 PM
This is Crash

Argue something stupid, magnify one thing that supports your argument and insist you are right because of that one thing, ignore all of the things that don't support your argument.

Example, LeBeau's defenses from 2004-2011 were not dominant, the blown 4th quarter leads determine that is so, all those seasons where they finished 1st in points and yards allowed, that's irrelevant

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 07:16 PM

Certainly you aren't suggesting the defense "played well" to start the 2005 playoffs, correct?

They gave up 17 points on their first three drives. If not for the defense scoring two TD's out of four drives in the first half the game is over.

Then the defense was going to give up a FG to start the second half, but the Bengals had a bad snap.

The next week? 15 points given up in the 4th quarter, and were one Vanderject shank from OT.

The Denver game was the only one of the first three games that they played a solid first three quarters.

Context, not box scores.

You're welcome.

The first half against the bengals were the only bad half by the defense

For the game against the colts, you may have the short memory or you do not want to say it, but Polamalu had an interception that was reversed and it was a bad decision of the referee otherwise the steelers would have won 21-10 .

When the steelers led 21-18, Joey Porter made 2 sacks in a row and the game would have been over if Bettis scored a TD instead of a fumble....You know it very well, but you did not want to say it.It was against Peyton Manning and the great colts offense....

st33lersguy
01-08-2017, 07:18 PM

2010 AFC divisional game, 3 Steelers turnovers on 3 straight Ravens drives in the 3rd quarter turns a 21-7 halftime deficit into a 24-21 lead early in the 4th quarter

- - - Updated - - -

The first half against the bengals were the only bad half by the defense

For the game against the colts, you may have the short memory or you do not want to say it, but Polamalu had an interception that was reversed and it was a bad decision of the referee otherwise the steelers would have won 21-10 .

When the steelers led 21-18, Joey Porter made 2 sacks in a row and the game would have been over if Bettis scored a TD instead of a fumble....You know it very well, but you did not want to say it.It was against Peyton Manning and the great colts offense....

And the Steelers holding the Colts on 2nd and 3rd and 2 to force the Vanderjagt kick including an amazing break-up by Bryant McFadden on Reggie Wayne in the end zone

#CRASHFormation
01-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Example, LeBeau's defenses from 2004-2011 were not dominant, the blown 4th quarter leads determine that is so, all those seasons where they finished 1st in points and yards allowed, that's irrelevant

When one realizes the offense did the heavy lifting? Yes it is.

What ended Dick LeBeau's time here was that his defense used to be able to beat up the scrubs.

When that changed? He was kicked out in the street.

The problem you people have, is that you can't separate LeBeau the great person OFF the field, from the OVERRATED coach ON it.

hawaiiansteeler
01-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Give

Back

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/995/415/b30.jpg

Butch
01-08-2017, 07:31 PM

They gave up 17 points on their first three drives. If not for the offense scoring two TD's out of four drives in the first half the game is over.

Context, not box scores.

You're welcome.

I don't remember the cincy game that well, but I can speak about the colts game that year. You do remember that game right? The one where the officials did everything they could to help the colts. Yeah that's right everything they could.

We have the ball and one of our linemen's leg flinches. The colts defenders jump across the line and flags fly. Do you remember this play? What was the call?

I am sure you remember the int. by Troy...what was the call on that play?

What did the NFL do the very next day?

This is the REAL context.

Oh and no you are welcome

LloydWoodson
01-09-2017, 12:10 AM
4th quarter possessions:

Pitt: 3 and out

Mia: 3 and out

Pitt: 3 and out

Mia: TD

Pitt: Ben throws INT on 3rd down to save from going 3 and out

Mia: Turnover on downs to end the game

CRASHmalformation: "How dare the defense surrender a touchdown in a quarter where the offense had two 3 and outs and a turnover! The offense took like 3 minutes off the clock and they can't shut them
out?! Defend the short field! That prevent defense disgusts me! You only got THREE sacks in that quarter?! Where is the pressure?! Only TWO sacks from ILB blitz?! That's it?! Attack the offense! Send everyone!"

That guy had a narrative in his head and shaped actual events to fit his biases.

- - - Updated - - -

Defense: Allows 12 points, gets 4 sacks and forces 3 turnovers... FIRE BUTLER!

polamalubeast
01-15-2017, 10:20 PM
No

Edman
01-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Butler can stay.

The Defense won this game tonight.

SteelerFanInStl
01-15-2017, 11:05 PM
Butler can stay.

The Defense won this game tonight.
Yes, this defense is greatly improved and they were the reason for this win.

pczach
01-15-2017, 11:17 PM
If we are being honest, Butler was playing handicapped for much of the season. Once Harrison became a starter, Dupree came back, and Sean Davis and Artie Burns became starters, this defense took a big step forward.

Even with Heyward going to IR, getting Dupree back with Harrison and a healthy Tuitt has been a big upgrade to the DL.

They continue to improve with all the youth stepping up. This defense is going to be good for a while as the young athletes learn to play football at a high level. They're not a finished product, but their future is bright.

DesertSteel
01-15-2017, 11:19 PM
Our three rookies already have more playoff experience than half the NFL.

smokin3000gt
01-15-2017, 11:32 PM
give these young guys another year...

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 11:00 AM

Edman
01-16-2017, 11:17 AM

The 2004-2005 Defenses were pretty good. 2007 was where the Defense started the nasty trend of collapsing in the 4th quarter.

Lebeau's Defenses had an achilles heel: Troy Polamalu. If he went down for any amount of time, the Defense became perfectly ordinary, and Troy was out for quite a while due to his reckless style.

The 2008 Defense was the only one that qualifies as "dominant". They won games and won a Super Bowl.

The others, they were good they were hardly dominant. 2010 was arguable, but again, they had Troy for a whole season.

hawaiiansteeler
01-16-2017, 11:35 PM
Simple, our offense scores, and then the defense goes back on the field and gives points right back.

That's why we don't blow teams out. It happened with LeBeau, it happens with Butler.

and that has never happened to any other NFL defenses, only to the Steelers... :der:

pczach
01-17-2017, 06:01 AM
and that has never happened to any other NFL defenses, only to the Steelers... :der:

Now you're catching on!

BnG_Hevn
01-17-2017, 09:15 AM
"The Art of War" is the mentality of the Steelers. It has been all along.

If you go up on a team too quickly, they become desperate and do things they'd normally not do, potentially bringing them back into the game.

So, if you're playing a better team and you have a 10 - 14 point lead, they will keep with their game plan which, if it's not working (and giving you the lead) then it plays to your favor.

If you're playing a team that is inferior and you go up by 28 points, then they start taking chances and possibly succeeding.

See Bills vs Oilers in '92 (I think).

The Art of War dictates that you always give your opponent a "glimmer of hope". I don't know the exact passages but if you read it, you will understand the Steeler mentality.

Dissolv
01-17-2017, 09:29 AM
It takes time to really evaluate what is going on with a team, much less a unit on a team. But this year's defense has clearly risen to well above the line in just about every respect. And that's despite injury, and despite rookies. Is the the best NFL defense, sadly no. Is it a top 10, or perhaps even currently a top 5 unit? Clearly.

You have to give Butler a lot of credit for this. He started with a very passive bend don't break scheme -- got some wins out of it. Then he was willing to dial back up the pressure when that started to fail, and had success from his adjustments. Now we've got a seriously coached-up squad that is absolutely on fire making a deep playoff run.

I have to question the Steeler fandom of anyone who wants to pull coaches now. If there is one thing that being a Stillers' fan will teach you, is that Coaching Stability is a good thing. Period. Down years, up years, old talent, poor talent, GOAT talent -- we stick by our coaches. And where does that get us? Playoffs. And that leads to Super bowls.

You still need a special team to win a Super Bowl. You just do. It's almost like a magic moment where so many things have to peak all at the same time. But you don't toss out successful coaches in real life. You give them time to accomplish what they can. Which we are now enjoying the fruits thereof. Just four teams left still playing this year. Why the hell would you pull a winning pitcher who can produce these kinds of results for you? The coaching carousel is a trap. One that Pittsburgh has wisely avoided for generations. Any real fan of the team knows this.

Dissolv

AtlantaDan
01-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Nice article (with video inserts) on the defensive turnaround - excerpts below

Back To Blitzburgh

Instead of leaning on one or two big-name game-changers like Von Miller or Ndamukong Suh, Pittsburgh has relied upon the even play of a bunch of savvy veterans and young, play-with-their-hair-on-fire athletes. It’s taken some scheming, but defensive coordinator Keith Butler has squeezed every drop of production he could out of a group lacking a true superstar. There are no great defenses left in the playoffs, but Butler has at least created a good one by dialing up the blitz....

Through eight weeks, Pittsburgh relied mostly on three- and four-man pressure schemes. They blitzed (sent five or more rushers) just 25.7 percent of the time, per Pro Football Focus, and the result was about what you’d expect: The Steelers were dead last in sacks (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2016&year_max=2016&game_type=R&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=1&week_num_max=8&temperature_gtlt=lt&team_conf_id=All+Conferences&team_div_id=All+Divisions&opp_conf_id=All+Conferences&opp_div_id=All+Divisions&team_off_scheme=Any+Scheme&team_def_align=Any+Alignment&opp_off_scheme=Any+Scheme&opp_def_align=Any+Alignment&c1stat=pass_sacked_opp&c1comp=gt&c2stat=choose&c2comp=gt&c3stat=choose&c3comp=gt&c4stat=choose&c4comp=gt&c5comp=choose&c5gtlt=lt&c6mult=1.0&c6comp=choose&order_by=pass_sacked_opp), with just eight.

Butler recognized that three- and four-man rushes just weren’t going to get the job done, and so he started upping the pressure. From Week 9 to their finale against the Browns in Week 17, Pittsburgh racked up an NFL-best 30 sacks (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2016&year_max=2016&game_type=R&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=9&week_num_max=17&temperature_gtlt=lt&team_conf_id=All+Conferences&team_div_id=All+Divisions&opp_conf_id=All+Conferences&opp_div_id=All+Divisions&team_off_scheme=Any+Scheme&team_def_align=Any+Alignment&opp_off_scheme=Any+Scheme&opp_def_align=Any+Alignment&c1stat=pass_sacked_opp&c1comp=gt&c2stat=choose&c2comp=gt&c3stat=choose&c3comp=gt&c4stat=choose&c4comp=gt&c5comp=choose&c5gtlt=lt&c6mult=1.0&c6comp=choose&order_by=pass_sacked_opp), including an eight-sack performance against the Browns in Week 11. The return of Dupree, who had 4.5 sacks in the last four regular-season games, certainly helped, but the biggest change over the back half of the year was that they blitzed on 43 percent of their defensive snaps (https://mobile.twitter.com/Pat_Thorman/status/816797820854341632) (third most in the NFL)....

While Pittsburgh has no true standout rusher this year, what it does have in spades is pure athleticism in its back seven, and that speed is often the difference between a pressure and a sack....

With no big-time edge rusher to lean on to get to Brady in standard three- or four-man rushes, we’re likely to see Butler and the Steelers go all out and send pressure from all angles in hopes of getting the Patriots signal-caller on his back and getting the ball out. If they can do that just once or twice, it could give Pittsburgh enough of an edge to get to Houston. If not, Brady will just sit back in the pocket and pick them apart.

https://theringer.com/nfl-playoffs-pittsburgh-steelers-pass-rush-7b0090b4a825#.3j9hug9ns

Mojouw
01-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Nice article (with video inserts) on the defensive turnaround - excerpts below

Back To Blitzburgh

Instead of leaning on one or two big-name game-changers like Von Miller or Ndamukong Suh, Pittsburgh has relied upon the even play of a bunch of savvy veterans and young, play-with-their-hair-on-fire athletes. It’s taken some scheming, but defensive coordinator Keith Butler has squeezed every drop of production he could out of a group lacking a true superstar. There are no great defenses left in the playoffs, but Butler has at least created a good one by dialing up the blitz....

Through eight weeks, Pittsburgh relied mostly on three- and four-man pressure schemes. They blitzed (sent five or more rushers) just 25.7 percent of the time, per Pro Football Focus, and the result was about what you’d expect: The Steelers were dead last in sacks (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2016&year_max=2016&game_type=R&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=1&week_num_max=8&temperature_gtlt=lt&team_conf_id=All+Conferences&team_div_id=All+Divisions&opp_conf_id=All+Conferences&opp_div_id=All+Divisions&team_off_scheme=Any+Scheme&team_def_align=Any+Alignment&opp_off_scheme=Any+Scheme&opp_def_align=Any+Alignment&c1stat=pass_sacked_opp&c1comp=gt&c2stat=choose&c2comp=gt&c3stat=choose&c3comp=gt&c4stat=choose&c4comp=gt&c5comp=choose&c5gtlt=lt&c6mult=1.0&c6comp=choose&order_by=pass_sacked_opp), with just eight.

Butler recognized that three- and four-man rushes just weren’t going to get the job done, and so he started upping the pressure. From Week 9 to their finale against the Browns in Week 17, Pittsburgh racked up an NFL-best 30 sacks (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2016&year_max=2016&game_type=R&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=9&week_num_max=17&temperature_gtlt=lt&team_conf_id=All+Conferences&team_div_id=All+Divisions&opp_conf_id=All+Conferences&opp_div_id=All+Divisions&team_off_scheme=Any+Scheme&team_def_align=Any+Alignment&opp_off_scheme=Any+Scheme&opp_def_align=Any+Alignment&c1stat=pass_sacked_opp&c1comp=gt&c2stat=choose&c2comp=gt&c3stat=choose&c3comp=gt&c4stat=choose&c4comp=gt&c5comp=choose&c5gtlt=lt&c6mult=1.0&c6comp=choose&order_by=pass_sacked_opp), including an eight-sack performance against the Browns in Week 11. The return of Dupree, who had 4.5 sacks in the last four regular-season games, certainly helped, but the biggest change over the back half of the year was that they blitzed on 43 percent of their defensive snaps (https://mobile.twitter.com/Pat_Thorman/status/816797820854341632) (third most in the NFL)....

While Pittsburgh has no true standout rusher this year, what it does have in spades is pure athleticism in its back seven, and that speed is often the difference between a pressure and a sack....

With no big-time edge rusher to lean on to get to Brady in standard three- or four-man rushes, we’re likely to see Butler and the Steelers go all out and send pressure from all angles in hopes of getting the Patriots signal-caller on his back and getting the ball out. If they can do that just once or twice, it could give Pittsburgh enough of an edge to get to Houston. If not, Brady will just sit back in the pocket and pick them apart.

https://theringer.com/nfl-playoffs-pittsburgh-steelers-pass-rush-7b0090b4a825#.3j9hug9ns

Great Read. Thanks for posting this.