PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins and Frigid Cold

GBMelBlount
01-06-2017, 10:13 PM
It is freezing cold and is supposed to be in the teens Sunday?

How does this affect our game plan?

Passing? Running?

Will we benefit?

The bell ringer
01-06-2017, 10:16 PM
It is freezing cold and is supposed to be in the teens Sunday?

How does this affect our game plan?

Passing? Running?

Will we benefit?

I doubt the cold will mean anything. However if the reports of winds gusting up to 20 MPH...that might. However I think it would effect Miami more then Ben.

GBMelBlount
01-06-2017, 10:17 PM
I doubt the cold will mean anything.

However if the reports of winds gusting up to 20 MPH...that might.

However I think it would effect Miami more then Ben.

Really? Why? Does Ben put his finger in the air to test the wind speed and direction and make adjustments before throwing?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/9e/52/23/9e5223c1c00e4c92997e258ef0e5c37f.jpg

The bell ringer
01-06-2017, 10:19 PM
Why? Does Ben adjust for wind speed and direction?

Ben has probably the leagues strongest throwing arm. And Matt Moore has a below average arm at best. Also Ben has played in every possible adverse weather condition there is. And is used to how the wind effects his passes on our field.

86WARD
01-07-2017, 05:56 AM
Ben has probably the leagues strongest throwing arm. And Matt Moore has a below average arm at best. Also Ben has played in every possible adverse weather condition there is. And is used to how the wind effects his passes on our field.

Moore is a football player. He's most likely played in every possible adverse weather condition as well. You don't think they have wind and rain and odd weather in Miami? Carolina? Sure he's probably played a lot of warm weather games, but they do travel you know...

fansince'76
01-07-2017, 05:59 AM
Moore is a football player. He's most likely played in every possible adverse weather condition as well. You don't think they have wind and rain and odd weather in Miami? Carolina? Sure he's probably played a lot of warm weather games, but they do travel you know...

He won't be able to answer you...

86WARD
01-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Oh darn...

pczach
01-07-2017, 06:48 AM
He won't be able to answer you...

Well..........that's unfortunate........

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--qSFqHgJaxA/VOYmmdflwXI/AAAAAAAACRE/2Lmss9b0tjc/s1600/Fuck-Yeah-GIF-4.gif

teegre
01-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Strong wind gusts will take away our advantage (AB vs. their depleted secondary).

Too bad Bell isn't as good as Ajayi. #omarkellyequalsclickbait

Joking aside, I stated it the last time that they played, but it bears iteration: the Dolphins run defense isn't very good (30th in yards allowed). Gopher will HATE this, but Bell should get the focus of the offense (see: the Buffalo game).

I know, I know: "Ajayi got over 200 yards last time"... yes, but Tuitt was out, and more importantly, since Harrison started/since Dupree came back, this defense has been on a tear. Oh, and Burns & Davis have learned how to tackle.

Count Steeler
01-07-2017, 08:05 AM
It's going to be cold for both teams. Not all of the Steelers are used to playing in the cold.

The defense should play with something to prove.

pczach
01-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Strong wind gusts will take away our advantage (AB vs. their depleted secondary).

Joking aside, I stated it the last time that they played, but it bears iteration: the Dolphins run defense isn't very good (30th in yards allowed). Gopher will HATE this, but Bell should get the focus of the offense (see: the Buffalo game).

I know, I know: "Ajayi got over 200 yards last time"... yes, but Tuitt was out, and more importantly, since Harrison started/since Dupree came back, this defense has been on a tear. Oh, and Burns & Davis have learned how to tackle.

The Dolphins played well against them this year, and they deserved the win. The Steelers had a ton of injuries, including Ben, and there were a lot of mistakes made.

Looking back at that game, it wasn't that the Dolphins were just blowing them off the ball all day. The Steelers defense didn't maintain gap integrity. They were caught out of position throughout the game that allowed large chunks of yards.

I'm sure that problem has been addressed by the coaching staff, and that everyone is doing what is necessary to make sure that doesn't happen again.

As you said, in that time the young players are now more experienced and playing much better. A few of the starters have been replaced and it is clearly an upgrade. Ben is healthy. They have grown as a team and improving.

The Fish will be playing a different team than the one they played in week 6.

GBMelBlount
01-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Joking aside, I stated it the last time that they played, but it bears iteration:

the Dolphins run defense isn't very good (30th in yards allowed).

Gopher will HATE this, but Bell should get the focus of the offense (see: the Buffalo game).

My thoughts also.

The cold and especially the wind lessens our passing advantage...especially 20+ yards.

However I still think we need to keep them from loading the box.

I like the idea of Bell, three wide, short passes and 20+ yards passes only when it would be intercepted on their side of the field.

I think their best shot of beating us is picking Ben off and getting short fields.

Method28
01-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Ben might not even have the strongest am in the division lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

teegre
01-07-2017, 09:52 AM
I think their best shot of beating us is picking Ben off and getting short fields.

Yep.
Turnovers are the great equalizer.

Moose
01-07-2017, 10:29 AM
When Miami 'kicked' our asses in Oct., it was the running game we couldn't handle.

Bluecoat96
01-07-2017, 10:38 AM
OMG. As long we don't have 3 tight end sets along with no Nix, we can no lose. Haley sucks! Arians for president!! 😉

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
01-07-2017, 10:50 AM
We've all heard the saying, "running game and defense travels well". Upside is we CAN still score on their defense. Downside is we have to STOP their run game.

But here's the big thing about all that. If you look at the playoff picture, and put us in at a W throughout, the main focus the whole way is stopping the run. Stopping the short, dump off passes/screens.

AtlantaDan
01-07-2017, 10:58 AM
The older you get the more cold bothers you and living in a cold climate does not give you immunity

SI.com has an oral history of the 2007 season Giants-Packers playoff game (the one where Tom Coughlin's face got so red it looked like it might break into pieces). Heinz will not be as cold as Lambeau was that day, but I noted this observation

The cold affected Brett [Favre]. The cold revealed his age a little bit. That’s natural. The cold gets in your bones. It was the first time I saw him look cold.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/05/packers-giants-2007-nfc-championship-game-oral-history

I will be watching Ben in pregame warmups - during the Bills pregame he looked as if being outside that day was the last place he wanted to be (and he then played like it)

polamalubeast
01-07-2017, 11:02 AM
The older you get the more cold bothers you and living in a cold climate does not give you immunity

SI.com has an oral history of the 2007 season Giants-Packers playoff game (the one where Tom Coughlin's face got so red it looked like it might break into pieces). Heinz will not be as cold as Lambeau was that day, but I noted this observation

The cold affected Brett [Favre]. The cold revealed his age a little bit. That’s natural. The cold gets in your bones. It was the first time I saw him look cold.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/05/packers-giants-2007-nfc-championship-game-oral-history

I will be watching Ben in pregame warmups - during the Bills pregame he looked as if being outside that day was the last place he wanted to be (and he then played like it)

Favre was something like 36-0 in his first 10 seasons in the cold but after Favre was not the same in the cold.

We'll see tomorrow if it will have an effect, but Ben must not attempt 26 pass in the first half as it was the case in Buffalo.

Iron Steeler
01-07-2017, 11:22 AM
They beat us in pitt in the snow in 2013. The i famous AB step out of bounds on the last play...

So I dont think weather will give us the edge

steel striker
01-07-2017, 11:27 AM
To me the real keys are simple the steeler defense must stop the run and, Ben needs to be Ben with no turnovers.

Shoes
01-07-2017, 11:27 AM

It does to the Finns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbVboiZuFHQ

pczach
01-07-2017, 11:34 AM
They beat us in pitt in the snow in 2013. The i famous AB step out of bounds on the last play...

So I dont think weather will give us the edge

Yep, these are playoff games.

You adapt to the conditions and do whatever it takes to defeat your opponent.

If it is cold and 25 MPH winds, you run the ball, play defense, out-physical the other team, and sprinkle in some passing. Keep turnovers to a minimum.

If they put eight men in the box to stop the run, Ben has to find a way to beat them.

A big part of this game will probably be Ben making great adjustments and protections at the line of scrimmage. Getting the offense into the right play against the defense could end up deciding this game if the physical matchup is a draw.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-07-2017, 11:38 AM
If there ain't much wind, I really don't think the weather will matter much in advantage for us. Even two degrees is not that bad to be in when your moving around. High winds at 2 degrees then yes.

Moose
01-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Wind is no biggie. It will be a running game. We need to get all kinds of pressure on the QB, and TACKLE, TACKLE, TACKLE instead of 'touching' them. NO stupid ass penalties ( endzone dancing, etc.) and ball control ( no fumbles, interceptions) and we shouldn't have too much problems to get the win. With the cold temps passing game is going to be rare....hard to throw, hard to catch, and ball doesn't travel as desired at speed or destination.

ALLD
01-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Dolphins beat the Steelers in the snow within the last few years. The rain can be a factor however for the punt returners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w

Iron Steeler
01-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Wind is no biggie. It will be a running game. We need to get all kinds of pressure on the QB, and TACKLE, TACKLE, TACKLE instead of 'touching' them. NO stupid ass penalties ( endzone dancing, etc.) and ball control ( no fumbles, interceptions) and we shouldn't have too much problems to get the win. With the cold temps passing game is going to be rare....hard to throw, hard to catch, and ball doesn't travel as desired at speed or destination.

We for sure need to clean up our act on penalties. Seems to always kill our drives on 3rd down on both sides of the ball

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree... we are a totally different team now. Hopefully they think we havent changed

Born2Steel
01-07-2017, 09:30 PM
The Dolphins play at NE, Bills, and Jets once each season. What is the record for them vs cold weather games? Either it's a factor or it's not. Same concern has been there for dome teams. Many think the Vikings gave up a big advantage when they went to the domed stadium. The conditions will affect both teams. The question comes down to who does it affect more. Ben or Moore? Our defense or their defense. Our receivers or their receivers. Looking at it from that perspective, advantage Steelers. Big time.

smokin3000gt
01-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Dolphins beat the Steelers in the snow within the last few years. The rain can be a factor however for the punt returners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w

probably one of the most boring and disappointing games I can remember

ALLD
01-08-2017, 06:11 AM
It was an ugly game because of field conditions and don't even remember who won.

teegre
01-08-2017, 08:06 AM
The Dolphins played well against them this year, and they deserved the win.

I hope that my post didn't make it seem like the Dolphins didn't beat us down that day. My intent was merely to point out that a) BB was hobbled, and b) the Steelers defense has changed since then.

The rest of your post pretty much agrees with me... but, I wanted to make sure that no one thought that I was overlooking the Dolphins.

One stat that needs to be posted:
In week 6, at the start of the third quarter, on three consecutive plays, Le'Veon Bell rushed (against the 32nd ranked run defense) for: 12 yards, 8 yards, and 6 yards. Then... the Steelers passed 19 straight times (3 punts, 1 TD).

Give. Bell. The. Ball.

Born2Steel
01-08-2017, 08:30 AM
For that matter, feed the ball to Bell AND DWill. Maybe they both rush for 150-200 yards. Just no fumbles!

AtlantaDan
01-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Forecast of game time temperatures around 15 degrees with WNW wind of around 13 - 15 mph (towards the open end of the stadium and left corner of that end zone?) - wind chill of zero to minus one -yikes!

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/15212:4:US

The ball is going to feel like trying to kick, catch or throw a rock

polamalubeast
01-08-2017, 08:32 AM
For that matter, feed the ball to Bell AND DWill. Maybe they both rush for 150-200 yards. Just no fumbles!

The Steelers have the fewest lost fumbles in the NFL this year with only 3.

Born2Steel
01-08-2017, 08:38 AM
The Steelers have the fewest lost fumbles in the NFL this year with only 3.

Perfect. HERE WE GO!