PDA

View Full Version : Alan Faneca among Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists; Hines Ward misses cut

polamalubeast
01-03-2017, 07:29 PM
The 15 modern era finalists are: kicker Morten Anderson, tackle Tony Boselli, wide receiver Isaac Bruce, coach Don Coryell, running back Terrell Davis, safety Brian Dawkins, guard Alan Faneca, tackle Joe Jacoby, cornerback Ty Law, safety John Lynch, center/guard Kevin Mawae, wide receiver Terrell Owens, defensive end Jason Taylor, running back LaDainian Tomlinson and quarterback Kurt Warner.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/01/03/alan-faneca-ty-law-jason-taylor-hines-ward-pro-football-hall-of-fame-2017/stories/201701030173

Craic
01-03-2017, 07:47 PM
I don't think he'll make it, not in that class. Easily, Law, Jacoby, should make it. Don't know how many of you saw Easily play, but he was outstanding. After that, it's a bit more of a crap shoot (due not to talent, but how long people have been waiting). I'd put Faneca in ahead of Warner for sure. Lynch was great, he's probably even with Faneca, but with Easily and Law, I'd imagine he waits. Anderson . . . a kicker. LT might be ahead of Faneca just because he played the position he did, if that makes sense. Terrell Owens - unbelievable talent, but his antics will hold him out a couple more years, I think (as they should). I think Terrell Davis might make it, probably would ahead of LT because he's been waiting longer.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Terrell Davis shouldn't be in until Sterling Sharpe is.

polamalubeast
01-03-2017, 07:51 PM
L.T is a first ballot HOF for me....

- - - Updated - - -

Terrell Davis shouldn't be in until Sterling Sharpe is.

Maybe,but Davis is one of the best playoffs running back of all-time....7 games over 100 yards in 8 playoffs game.Davis has also won the regular season MVP and the super bowl MVP.

Craic
01-03-2017, 07:55 PM
L.T is a first ballot HOF for me....

Maybe,but Davis is one of the best playoffs running back of all-time....7 games over 100 yards in 8 playoffs game.Davis has also won the regular season MVP and the super bowl MVP.

Yep, and I believe he's been waiting longer than LT, no? That's why I see him having a better chance than LT. That, and guys like Easily, Law, etc., are also hard to pass up and have been waiting longer a well. LT deserves the HOF, and perhaps, even a first ballot, but with some of these others, I just don't know if he gets it.

lipps83
01-03-2017, 07:57 PM
I think Davis will eventually get in, although would kind of rather he doesn't since I think longevity is a part of it. However, many already in the Hall don't quite have the credentials he does.

I see him eventually getting the Gale Sayers treatment.

GBMelBlount
01-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Faneca's 8 time All Pro and 9 Pro Bowls stacks up well even to ten of the best offensive linememen EVER.

If he does not get in this year it is my guess it is not because he is not deserving.

The Top* 10 Greatest NFL Offensive Linemen of All* Time

5. Mike Webster

Mike Webster quarterbacked the offensive line from his center position throughout the Steelers’ ’70s dynasty and into the late 1980s. “Iron Mike” was the greatest center of all time, and the benchmark for dominant centers out of Pittsburgh. Following Webster, the procession of Steeler greats who snapped the football at the point of attack went on to include Ray Mansfield, Dermontti Dawson, and Jeff Hartings. In today’s game, the young Maurkice Pouncey has proved that he is ready and able to carry forward the tradition of dominant centers at Three Rivers.

Over the course of his 17*-year career, Mike Webster started 217 times out of the 245 games in which he appeared. In Pittsburgh, Webster was tenacious, as he made line calls to protect Terry Bradshaw and open up gaps for the likes of Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier at running back.

It’s because of his work in the gritty Steel City that Webster was selected to nine Pro Bowls** (1978-1987).

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-top%C2%AD-10-greatest-nfl-offensive-linemen-of-all%C2%AD-time.html/?a=viewall

teegre
01-03-2017, 08:12 PM
LaDainian is my top choice.

His 2006 (33 TDs) will never be seen again. Add in 1600 yards in 2002-03, plus 1400 yards in 2005 & 2007... plus several other 1000 yard seasons, and you have the best eight-year run by any RB.

polamalubeast
01-03-2017, 08:13 PM

His 2006 (33 TDs) will never be seen again. Add in 1600 yards in 2002-03, plus 1400 yards in 2005, 2007... plus several other 100 yard seasons, and you have the best eight-year run by any RB.

This is the reason why I think he will be a first ballot HOF.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Faneca's problem will be Ed Bouchette. He's lazy, he doesn't put the time in to debate his point. His "presentation" of Alan last year was the shortest of any 1st round participant.

pczach
01-03-2017, 08:17 PM

His 2006 (33 TDs) will never be seen again. Add in 1600 yards in 2002-03, plus 1400 yards in 2005 & 2007... plus several other 1000 yard seasons, and you have the best eight-year run by any RB.

I'll be shocked if LT doesn't make the cut. He's a first ballot Hall of Famer to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Faneca's problem will be Ed Bouchette. He's lazy, he doesn't put the time in to debate his point. His "presentation" of Alan last year was the shortest of any 1st round participant.

I think Faneca's mauling, yet athletic style of play speaks for itself. I don't know if he'll make it this time, but he'll get there eventually. His body of work is excellent over a long period of time.

SteelerFanInStl
01-03-2017, 08:18 PM
I just don't see how Terrell Davis deserves to get elected to the HoF. The HoF is all about your career. Longevity should play a big part in getting elected. He had 4 good years and only 7 total. That's not HoF worthy IMO. I don't care how good those years were. He simply didn't play long enough.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 08:20 PM
He should get there. He's the best guard of his era. He's better than Will Shields. He's better than McDaniel. They waited I believe three years. Just by pecking order this should be Alan's year.

Mojouw
01-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Would love to contribute to this gear discussion but I just turned the tv on and there it was....North Dallas Forty.

Night plannned.

tube517
01-03-2017, 08:49 PM
I'm biased for Kenny Easley. He is from my area but he was damn good.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Would love to contribute to this gear discussion but I just turned the tv on and there it was....North Dallas Forty.

Night plannned.

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive minutes!

Butch
01-03-2017, 09:24 PM
I just don't see how Terrell Davis deserves to get elected to the HoF. The HoF is all about your career. Longevity should play a big part in getting elected. He had 4 good years and only 7 total. That's not HoF worthy IMO. I don't care how good those years were. He simply didn't play long enough.

Gale Sayers had a very short career, but he made it in and deservedly so IMHO. Not saying that Davis deserves to be in there just that time should not be a consideration if you stand out.

pczach
01-03-2017, 09:27 PM
I'm biased for Kenny Easley. He is from my area but he was damn good.

I loved Kenny Easley. A great player....and what a hitter.

Butch
01-03-2017, 09:30 PM
As for who will go that's anybody's guess. Neither L.C. nor Shell are in the hall thanks to one writer's (peter king), bias against having any more 70's Steelers in the hall.

st33lersguy
01-03-2017, 09:32 PM
LT will be first ballot and rightfully so, he was an elite dynamic player at his position. Faneca should get in this year and you could make a case for him over at least most of the others, though they may leave him out another year because he was a guard and guards usually have to wait because their position is less glorified

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-04-2017, 12:04 AM

Night plannned. Good movie! Nick at his best! Heard he was a great guy! Knew someone who meant him in person and acted in a scene of one of his movies. Movie was
Lorenzo's Oil (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104756/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_56)

Steel Peon
01-04-2017, 12:11 AM
Hines Ward > Isaac Bruce or Terrell Owens, so it makes little sense to me he didn't make it. Go Faneca.

01-04-2017, 12:29 AM
Hines Ward > Isaac Bruce or Terrell Owens, so it makes little sense to me he didn't make it. Go Faneca. Yep all three are worthy. I'd go with Owens though since he could be unstoppable at times if he wanted to be. Bruce probably put up the best stats. Then Hines probably the best all around wr ever.

Craic
01-04-2017, 05:48 AM

What would you consider long enough? Lynn Swann played only two more seasons. He also rushed over 2000 yards twice, and almost got it a third season. At some point, even in a short career, your accomplishments so outshine others in the same time period that it simply can't be ignored.

86WARD
01-04-2017, 06:07 AM

I agree. He doesn't deserve to be nominated imo because he didn't play long enough.

SteelerFanInStl
01-04-2017, 07:49 AM
What would you consider long enough? Lynn Swann played only two more seasons. He also rushed over 2000 yards twice, and almost got it a third season. At some point, even in a short career, your accomplishments so outshine others in the same time period that it simply can't be ignored.

There are quite a few who would argue that Lynn shouldn't be in the HoF, based on pure statistics.

It's a slippery slope. I feel that if you start electing these players (I know that they already did with Sayers) with very short, but great while they played, careers, you start opening it up to someone who has one or two great seasons. Make another wing for these players who excelled but had very short careers but I don't think that they belong with the players that did it over a much longer period of time. I've just always though of the HoF as a reward for excellence over a long career.

BTW, this is nothing against Terrell Davis. He was a fantastic player when he played and had a remarkable 4 seasons.

tube517
01-04-2017, 07:58 AM
TD rushed for over 2000 yards once.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviTe00.htm

Born2Steel
01-04-2017, 09:07 AM
I would go with L.T. and Bruce.

steel striker
01-04-2017, 01:27 PM
As for who will go that's anybody's guess. Neither L.C. nor Shell are in the hall thanks to one writer's (peter king), bias against having any more 70's Steelers in the hall. That's for sure Peter King is the president of the I hate the Steelers Club!

polamalubeast
01-04-2017, 03:52 PM

01-04-2017, 05:49 PM
I just don't see how Terrell Davis deserves to get elected to the HoF. The HoF is all about your career. Longevity should play a big part in getting elected. He had 4 good years and only 7 total. That's not HoF worthy IMO. I don't care how good those years were. He simply didn't play long enough. Agreed and not enough of a resume. Very good player and also Portis was a beast after him running behind that line without Elway at QB to help him out. Even average Mike Anderson did well.

01-04-2017, 05:55 PM
If TD gets in why not players like Tiki Barber then ? Also why do players like Curtis Martin continue to get screwed ?

polamalubeast
01-04-2017, 05:58 PM
If TD gets in why not players like Tiki Barber then ? Also why do players like Curtis Martin continue to get screwed ?

Curtis Martin is in the HOF.Terrell Davis also won a super bowl MVP and regular season MVP.

01-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Curtis Martin is in the HOF.Terrell Davis also won a super bowl MVP and regular season MVP. Honestly did not know Martin got in and good. As for TD he had the best line in football plus a HOF qb and 4 years is not enough. That's like saying let Bell have one more good year and retire and he should be nominated. Ps lets hope he has a SB MVP before that.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically longevity matters at a continued great level of play.

Psycho Ward 86
01-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Agreed and not enough of a resume. Very good player and also Portis was a beast after him running behind that line without Elway at QB to help him out. Even average Mike Anderson did well.

i used to feel the same way but look at TD's playoff averages. The guy was unreal. At some point, quality has to take some priority over quantity. Kurt Warner is another great example. He had a ton of years where he was either injured or sitting the bench but in the years he started, he won a superbowl MVP, got to another superbowl with a cardinals team that was other dead in the water for decades, and won 2 NFL MVP's with the greatest show on the turf

01-04-2017, 06:21 PM
i used to feel the same way but look at TD's playoff averages. The guy was unreal. At some point, quality has to take some priority over quantity. Kurt Warner is another great example. He had a ton of years where he was either injured or sitting the bench but in the years he started, he won a superbowl MVP, got to another superbowl with a cardinals team that was other dead in the water for decades, and won 2 NFL MVP's with the greatest show on the turf Agree TD and both Warner was amazing and heard the talking heads on ESPN pimping them and specially TD and mention all those stats. To me it comes down to longevity.

polamalubeast
01-04-2017, 06:31 PM
The peak is also important.I mean, without Davis, Elway would surely have 0 super bowl.Warner and Davis are two of the best players in nfl history at their position in the playoffs as well.

Sometimes, you can be in the HOF even if you not have the longevity.Joe Namath is in the HOF because of one game and we have to be honest that without the SB 10 and his other two super bowl(13 and 14), Lynn Swann would not have been close to be in the HOF.

st33lersguy
01-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Curtis Martin is in the HOF.Terrell Davis also won a super bowl MVP and regular season MVP.

I think he got in on his 2nd year of eligibility

#CRASHFormation
01-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Before there was Terrell Davis there was Billy Sims.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SimsBi00.htm

Let's put him in too.

01-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Before there was Terrell Davis there was Billy Sims.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SimsBi00.htm

Let's put him in too. Not to mention Joe Delaney who had a great rookie year but drowned trying to save two kids. We need to put him in just for the latter fact. Being sarcastic but agree longevity is the issue with me as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and you don't get the golden watch at a company for being employee of the month.

#CRASHFormation
01-04-2017, 07:08 PM
The peak is also important.I mean, without Davis, Elway would surely have 0 super bowl.

If it wasn't Davis it would have been someone else. He was just the trailblazer in the anyone can run the ball in Shanahan's/Kubiak's offense.

#CRASHFormation
01-04-2017, 07:17 PM
When this man put on a helmet in his spare time, was there anyone better?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackBo00.htm

Butch
01-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Longevity does not matter (Gayle Sayers), nor does winning a super bowl (Dan Marino) IF the star shines brightly enough to get attention. Hell sometimes you can be Great and over come extreme odds (Donnie Shell), and still not make it in. There are plenty who deserve to be in the Hall, but will most likely never get in, or may get in well after they are dead and gone.

It's politics at it's finest. A panel of self righteous sports writers with their own agendas and axes to grind. Look how long it took for both Swann and Stallworth to get in and L.C. is still not in.

Butch
01-04-2017, 07:43 PM
When this man put on a helmet in his spare time, was there anyone better?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackBo00.htm

maybe this guy https://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014213.html oh and by the way another one who did not last long in the NFL.

01-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Longevity does not matter (Gayle Sayers), nor does winning a super bowl (Dan Marino) IF the star shines brightly enough to get attention. Hell sometimes you can be Great and over come extreme odds (Donnie Shell), and still not make it in. There are plenty who deserve to be in the Hall, but will most likely never get in, or may get in well after they are dead and gone.

It's politics at it's finest. A panel of self righteous sports writers with their own agendas and axes to grind. Look how long it took for both Swann and Stallworth to get in and L.C. is still not in. Great post on the last paragraph!

teegre
01-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Terrell Davis went to Lincoln... sooo, I am biased.

IMO, Davis was the best post-season RB I've ever seen.

NOTE: I rooted for Terrell Davis, but I grew up idolizing Marcus Allen. Heck, every kid in my neighborhood did.