PDA

View Full Version : SI.com - Ben is NFL's most polarizing player

AtlantaDan
01-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Long article on SI.com this morning about Ben Roethlisberger - very little to do with football and very much about the two sexual assault allegations and a rehashing of other claims that Ben was a jerk from 2004 - 2010.

Without excusing Ben's alleged conduct, I think the article is a hit piece, but maybe not - link to full article below

Why Ben Roethlisberger Is The NFL's Most Polarizing* Player (*And What That Says About The Steelers QB - And About You)

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/03/ben-roethlisberger-past-controversy-pittsburgh-steelers-findlay

Without going into what may or may not have happened in that college bar in 2010, Ben is lucky that the Milledgeville DA (unlike some prosecutors) was committed to not indicting unless he could prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt while passing up the chance to be the star of a media circus.

But this article is the latest example that some of his behavior through 2010 always is going to follow Ben regardless of no finding of civil let alone criminal liability against him.

zulater
01-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Goodell told his buddy Peter King to drop the hammer on Ben again, like he did just before the SB against the Packers. I guess this means he's scared the Steelers could make noise in the playoffs.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Trash. This from the same rag that called Ray Lewis "God's linebacker".

Ben needs to start fighting back, do as little media work as required.

I'm also tired of Charlie Batch being the unofficial spokesman for Ben's career or his attitude.

Look in the mirror Chuck.

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Long article on SI.com this morning about Ben Roethlisberger - very little to do with football and very much about the two sexual assault allegations and a rehashing of other claims that Ben was a jerk from 2004 - 2010.

Without excusing Ben's alleged conduct, I think the article is a hit piece, but maybe not - link to full article below

Why Ben Roethlisberger Is The NFL's Most Polarizing* Player (*And What That Says About The Steelers QB - And About You)

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/03/ben-roethlisberger-past-controversy-pittsburgh-steelers-findlay

Without going into what may or may not have happened in that college bar in 2010, Ben is lucky that the Milledgeville DA (unlike some prosecutors) was committed to not indicting unless he could prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt while passing up the chance to be the star of a media circus.

But this article is the latest example that some of his behavior through 2010 always is going to follow Ben regardless of no finding of civil let alone criminal liability against him.

I Laugh at all this. I mean seriously. People still bring up that Incident...and yet it seems that NO ONE seems to wanna state, or remember that in that Georgia allegation....the Woman Involved ADMITTED that it was all a lie. ADMITTED that her friend....one of the two girls with her said to say that Ben did it. It was a pure money grab and attention getter. Sir...I find your user name ( Atlanta Dan ) interesting. Cause IF you are from, or live in Atlanta...you should know this. All anyone has to do..( I did years ago )...is to go to the GBA website...that's the Georgia Bureau of Investigation..and look up the case Investigation in their archives. 2 days after the incident...during the Interview, after being called on several statements that were proven NOT true...the girl finally folded and admitted she lied. Of course this was NEVER announced by Goodell, or anyone really in the media...although I think Ian Rapaport did.

But still with all this to this day...Millions of Haters still refer to Ben as " RAPElisberger. And certain Media HACKS still write stories like this one. It is just amazing to me.

Mojouw
01-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Doesn't matter that it was all a lie. These kind of accusations never go away. Especially when they seem to repeatedly follow a player in a whispered way - everyone goes by the smoke=fire rule.

The events of that night will follow Ben Roethlisberger's football career to the doorstep of Canton and may serve as a final hurdle to admission.

While I agree that if he is truly innocent, it is a shame; the bottom line is that he, like any other notable personality, should have never put himself in that position.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 11:37 AM
But no one talks about Ray Lewis, OR Charlie Batch.

You know why. You just can't say why.3

Ben's innocent. I read the ENTIRE 600 page report. He couldn't do what he was later accused of, based on DTF's own words.

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Doesn't matter that it was all a lie. These kind of accusations never go away. Especially when they seem to repeatedly follow a player in a whispered way - everyone goes by the smoke=fire rule.

The events of that night will follow Ben Roethlisberger's football career to the doorstep of Canton and may serve as a final hurdle to admission.

While I agree that if he is truly innocent, it is a shame; the bottom line is that he, like any other notable personality, should have never put himself in that position.

I disagree sir. To me the FACTS always matter. And what position ? Ben was not only single at the time..so he could try to Hook-up with anyone he wants. But Ben on that night showed MORE Maturity then most ANY other Professional Athlete ever. He arranged WAY in advance to have 3 off duty Policemen to be their Body guards, and DRIVERS..( Cause yeah Ben knew he and his guests were gonna drink )..and that right there is more then almost ALL these Clowns do. I mean if OTHER certain NFL players I could name...but I won't...would have done what Ben did...maybe their MIGHT be a couple of DEAD people who would still be Alive today.

Sorry sir but I 100 % disagree with you. Okay because of that girls Lie...and considering Ben is a public figure..I understand a lot of the public reaction. But the league never had any right to say anything about this until the GBI had a chance to look into it. And even AFTER it was proven false...Goodell still suspended Ben..Stating in that " Letter " that Ben's actions that night were inexcusable...really Roger ?...what actions were those ?..the fact that he got a designated driver for his group ?....Security as well ?..What exactly.

Whole thing was and still is Bull shit!!!

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Ben was the whitey that black players and black media members wanted treated like "Vick and Pac Man".

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Ben was the whitey that black players and black media members wanted treated like "Vick and Pac Man".
100 % right Crash. And it ALL started with then Giants WR " Amani Toomer " with his Racial Ranting. Ben was Goodell's political Pawn during that time. That is why I had PRAYED that Ben would have said...SCREW THAT..and sued the league & Goodell.

Mojouw
01-03-2017, 12:00 PM
Gave the article a quick read - decent piece that has nothing to do with football. It seems to attempt to address how most non-rabid Steelers fans feel about one of the most talented and prolific players in the NFL. The bottom line is that most people feel super conflicted. The most telling line is when Roethlisberger himself talks about how the younger version of himself thought that if he won enough games and a few SBs he could do anything he damn well pleased. Teammates, fans, and observers all picked up that vibe and it soured them on him for some time.

Not really sure what there is to get angry about here? The piece includes several statements indicating the GA incident was largely BS. I've always assumed that younger, drunker Ben was a crass gropey kinda dude and people tried several times to make money off of it. That is what I meant by putting yourself in that position earlier. Stay home when you drink. If you are going to drink with others, maybe don't do it in redneck bars in small towns?

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Gave the article a quick read - decent piece that has nothing to do with football. It seems to attempt to address how most non-rabid Steelers fans feel about one of the most talented and prolific players in the NFL. The bottom line is that most people feel super conflicted. The most telling line is when Roethlisberger himself talks about how the younger version of himself thought that if he won enough games and a few SBs he could do anything he damn well pleased. Teammates, fans, and observers all picked up that vibe and it soured them on him for some time.

Not really sure what there is to get angry about here? The piece includes several statements indicating the GA incident was largely BS. I've always assumed that younger, drunker Ben was a crass gropey kinda dude and people tried several times to make money off of it. That is what I meant by putting yourself in that position earlier. Stay home when you drink. If you are going to drink with others, maybe don't do it in redneck bars in small towns?

First off that town is NOT a Red nack town..whatever that statement means. It WAS a College town..but the general residents were mostly Black. And Ben actually lived there..or at least owned a house there. And thanks for pointing out the article..I did not read it...or would I want too. It still knowingly or not just rehashes all the BS from that time.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Btw SL Price was BORN in Miami.

Who the #Steelers are playing this week.

AtlantaDan
01-03-2017, 12:26 PM
I Laugh at all this. I mean seriously. People still bring up that Incident...and yet it seems that NO ONE seems to wanna state, or remember that in that Georgia allegation....the Woman Involved ADMITTED that it was all a lie. ADMITTED that her friend....one of the two girls with her said to say that Ben did it. It was a pure money grab and attention getter. Sir...I find your user name ( Atlanta Dan ) interesting. Cause IF you are from, or live in Atlanta...you should know this. All anyone has to do..( I did years ago )...is to go to the GBA website...that's the Georgia Bureau of Investigation..and look up the case Investigation in their archives. 2 days after the incident...during the Interview, after being called on several statements that were proven NOT true...the girl finally folded and admitted she lied. Of course this was NEVER announced by Goodell, or anyone really in the media...although I think Ian Rapaport did.

Sir

I do not want to rehash Milledgeville, am not saying Ben should have been prosecuted, and believe the SI.com story is over the top on such matters as an exhaustive discussion of whether Ben is still on the outs with residents of his former hometown of Findlay, Ohio. But during a time in which claims of sexual assault involving athletes are a hot button issue (Stanford swimmer getting probation for sexual assault, chants by Auburn fans at Sugar Bowl last night of "he hits women" against Oklahoma running back) I am not surprised SI is running it.

With regard to what I should know since I am from Atlanta -

I know the Atlanta criminal defense attorneys who represented Ben in the criminal case as well as the Atlanta attorney (a plaintiff's lawyer specializing in resolution of civil sexual harassment claims) who the parents hired to represent his accuser. Both Ben and his accuser hired high powered lawyers.

Based on these 2010 stories from the P-G and ESPN that summarized statements from the investigative file the alleged victim did not "fold" in her second interview

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2010/04/16/Roethlisberger-documents-give-details/stories/201004160149

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5267443

The released statements linked below also do not indicate the victim "ADMITTED that it was all a lie"

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/ben-roethlisbergers-bad-play

Just because Ben was not prosecuted does not make him blameless - fortunately the allegations were rock bottom for him rather than having to go before a middle Georgia jury. IMO if the same allegations were raised today the consequences for Ben would have been worse than they were at the time.

If I have the good fortune to be able to root for an apparently good person off the field like Troy when they play for the Steelers that is a bonus - I admit that I compartmentalize cheering for whoever wears the black & gold from passing judgment or feeling compelled to exonerate how they behave off the field.

DesertSteel
01-03-2017, 12:38 PM
I'd rather focus on the man that Ben has become over the past 5-6 years and give him credit for maturing.

fansince'76
01-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Not really sure what there is to get angry about here?

Why bring it up again at all? Yeah, we know - "Rapistburger" is going to follow him the rest of his career.

If you are going to drink with others, maybe don't do it in redneck bars in small towns?

Stay out of college hangouts when you're pushing 30.

fansince'76
01-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Ben was the whitey that black players and Jason Whitlock wanted treated like "Vick and Pac Man".

Fixed.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 12:44 PM
No Whitlock actually defended him.

Jemele Hill, William C Rhoden, Jeffri Chihidi all wanted Ben's head.

Based on these 2010 stories from the P-G and ESPN that summarized statements from the investigative file the alleged victim did not "fold" in her second interview

She told the police the next day that Ben was sitting on HER lap, when he raped her.

The investigator got up, and left the room.

A few days after that the GBI showed up and they wanted a DNA sample from inside her mouth.

She refused, and then she stopped talking to them.

Case over.

fansince'76
01-03-2017, 12:47 PM
No Whitlock actually defended him.

Only AFTER Goodell's over-the-top punishment was handed out. Before it happened, Whitlock was one of the biggest and best-known race-baiters out there and that's what precipitated the suspension to begin with. Goodell: "See? I'm not racist!"

Mojouw
01-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Why bring it up again at all? Yeah, we know - "Rapistburger" is going to follow him the rest of his career.

Stay out of college hangouts when you're pushing 30.

I think the article was trying to relatively evenly look at the public perception of the most unheralded "Star" in recent sports memory. Ben has been chronically under rated and under valued as a PR asset his entire career. Where are his national commercials? Where are his hype pieces in the week leading up to a big game? The article directly address that lack. Part is Ben has been in a process of pulling away from all that attention his entire life and part is the incidents in Georgia and Tahoe - which is the reason they are brought up.

If anything, I felt that the article was not a hit piece, but rather a fairly interesting look at the relationship between the media, fans, and a specific player dating back to his Jr. High School days. If anything, I ended up with more respect for Ben at the end and feel that he may be a much better person than I have been giving him credit for for years.

Perhaps, redneck was a poor word choice - my only thing was what you are saying. At a certain point, you just don't go certain places. A "club" in a small college town in an area of the country where you are by far the most famous and wealthiest person there -- a very bad idea.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 12:50 PM
The writer is from fucking Miami you dimwits.

It's not hard to figure out what he's trying to do.

AtlantaDan
01-03-2017, 12:57 PM
The writer is from fucking Miami you dimwits.

It's not hard to figure out what he's trying to do.

He wrote the story Sunday afternoon after the Dolphins lost to New England and were seeded to play the Steelers then convinced his editors to publish it on the website this morning in an effort to help the Dolphins?:sofunny:

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 01:01 PM
So YOU think it's coincidence?

So YOU think it was just coincidence that Goodell in 2010 tried to leak to Peter King the "confidential" Ben investigation details prior to our first playoff game against Goodell's Ravens?

C'mon, be smarter than that.

43Hitman
01-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Yep, it was Goodell on the Grassy Knoll...:der:

Ben put himself in those positions, therefore he has to own how those situations turned out. Like someone ^^ there said, if Ben doesn't go to that club, he doesn't get accused of anything. Simple as that.

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm not going to go all Oliver Stone like Crash is doing. But two things I know for a fact. One, that Girl DID recan't her allegation to the GBI. And two...no civil suit of ANY KIND has ever taken place. The little Bitch was a liar...just like the McNulty Bitch in Nevada..who also was proven a liar.

This whole topic is old, and benieth us Steeler fans. Let that ( Miami ) writer write what he wishes. It Ain't gonna change a thing this Sunday.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Yeah I'm sure it was coincidence that the first four games of Ben's suspension were all 1 PM starts.

It was also coincidence that five of the last 10 games of 2010 were on Prime Time TV. Surely the upstanding NFL wouldn't exploit Ben's return for ratings, right?

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Same writer called Miami hero Ray Lewis, who was actually CHARGED with murder, God's linebacker.

Just a hack who uses his platform, to cheer on his heroes.

AtlantaDan
01-03-2017, 01:44 PM
I'm not going to go all Oliver Stone like Crash is doing. But two things I know for a fact. One, that Girl DID recan't her allegation to the GBI.

One of the 20-year-old woman's attorneys, David Walbert, said in a letter to [District Attorney] Bright that his client was not recanting her accusation. But the letter, released to the media Monday, said she did not want to go to trial because it would be "a very intrusive personal experience."

Lee Parks, another attorney for the woman, said in a statement that he was pleased Bright honored his client's request.

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100412&content_id=9250378&fext=.jsp&vkey=9

And two...no civil suit of ANY KIND has ever taken place.

Hate to break the news to you, but civil claims are resolved all the time with non-disclosure clauses in the settlement agreement prior to a lawsuit being filed. I doubt the family hired Lee Parks to help prep the accuser for her potential appearance before the grand jury.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 01:46 PM
One of the 20-year-old woman's attorneys, David Walbert, said in a letter to Bright that his client was not recanting her accusation.Because if she does it's a crime.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Pac Man arrested again.

We'll see what Goodell does.

43Hitman
01-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Its not a good idea to refuse to get into a police car and then spit on deputy's at the station.

steel striker
01-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Must be a slow day in the news for SI let's pick on Ben again and, this crap gets old. Ben could pull 50 people out of a burning building and, the only story would be yeah but in 2010?? It's time to move on people he is married with three kids of his own. Fansince76 is right Whitlock called for Ben's head in 2010 how Whitlock is on a sports show is beyond me!!

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 02:18 PM
"Now that we know the penalty, let’s discuss PacBen in something resembling proper context. There is no doubt Roethlisberger is an idiot worthy of suspension. What I’ve yet to hear or read is a fair justification for why he deserved punishment."

-Jason Whitlock

zulater
01-03-2017, 02:40 PM

Bright would have indicted if he would have had so much as a snowball in hell's chance of making a case. There was no case. Her "testimony" such as it was never indicated a crime had taken place. Her statements were contradictory and misleading at best. Mostly she described consensual sex regretted after the fact. She was "slut shamed" by her friends into making a false allegation. And even then she couldn't bring herself to a complete lie. For example at no time does she indicate in her statement that she asked Ben to stop. At no time does she indicate that she tried to physically or verbally bring a halt to intercourse as it was happening. As Bright said when he closed the investigation, "we prosecute crimes, not morals."

Was their a settlement? Very possible. If you're Ben you keep this out of a courtroom regardless of guilt or innocence. You're going to be made the villain no matter the real story. But even if there was a settlement you know it was her side that initiated it. If Ben's lawyers reach out to her side first it's witness tampering. A felony that would have further aided the prosecution.

One other thing. Ben's detractors and the accusers family try to paint a picture of an investigation that was in the tank for Ben. The claim is she stopped cooperating with the investigation because she felt those conducting the interviews had a predilection against her. The GBI countered this with the fact that they had arranged for a female detective to meet with the accuser at the place of her choosing ( her house) with whoever she wanted in attendance ( attorney, family member, clergy etc...) at the time of her choosing. And she blew them off.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Mostly she described consensual sex regretted after the fact.

No, she said Ben raped her while HE was on HER lap, and it was all of three seconds.

zulater
01-03-2017, 03:00 PM
No, she said Ben raped her while HE was on HER lap, and it was all of three seconds.

There was a part of the first or second interview(I'll have to recheck this when I have time) where in response to a direct question, to paraphrase, did you ever tell him to stop, and her answer was a direct "No."

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 03:13 PM
That night....

Did he rape you?

"No"

Did you have sex with him?

"I'm not sure"

She only cried rape after her sorority sisters made her. When she was on DVD, and sober? She was clueless, and her and her bimbo friends couldn't keep their story straight.

Once those DVD's were released, public perception of Ben began to change from those who took time to FOLLOW the case. And why the media, specifically the Pittsburgh media who's ass Ben never kissed, all of the sudden wanted to "Move on".

zulater
01-03-2017, 03:23 PM
That night....

Did he rape you?

"No"

Did you have sex with him?

"I'm not sure"

She only cried rape after her sorority sisters made her. When she was on DVD, and sober? She was clueless, and her and her bimbo friends couldn't keep their story straight.

Once those DVD's were released, public perception of Ben began to change from those who took time to FOLLOW the case. And why the media, specifically the Pittsburgh media who's ass Ben never kissed, all of the sudden wanted to "Move on".

Exactly!

Of course there's always going to be people who believe him guilty and can't be bothered with annoying things like evidence. Two cases in point ESPN's Sarah Spain, and Dan LeBatard. Both declare him guilty even though they haven't got any evidence to prove it.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 03:48 PM
SI's Peter King never retracted his Big Ben lies either.

He also referred to Charlie Batch in 2010 as "The QB America's rooting for". LOL

teegre
01-03-2017, 04:12 PM
All that this means is that in the SuperBowl, BB will go 28/33 for 395 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs...

.... and they'll give the MVP trophy for that game to Le'Veon Bell.

AtlantaDan
01-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Bright would have indicted if he would have had so much as a snowball in hell's chance of making a case. There was no case.

Ask the three Duke lacrosse players if that has ever stopped some prosecutors. Bright was ethical enough to pass up his chance for the spotlight when other DAs have not.

But even if there was a settlement you know it was her side that initiated it. If Ben's lawyers reach out to her side first it's witness tampering. A felony that would have further aided the prosecution.

It was not the first rodeo for Ben's attorneys and the accuser's attorneys with regard to how to thread that needle. Draw your own conclusions on the relationship between the accuser's civil attorneys being pleased that Bright did not prosecute and a civil settlement being assured by then.

AtlantaDan
01-03-2017, 04:26 PM
All that this means is that in the SuperBowl, BB will go 28/33 for 395 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs...

Well it certainly is not going to James Harrison either :chuckle:

tube517
01-03-2017, 04:43 PM

Well it certainly is not going to James Harrison either :chuckle:

Do they interview cheeleaders at the podium???? :cheer2: :lol:

Count Steeler
01-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Wasn't Haley in the same bars on those nights? In fact he was leading the way for Ben. He should have pulled 74, 82 & 45, and went 3 wide and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

teegre
01-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Wasn't Haley in the same bars on those nights? In fact he was leading the way for Ben. He should have pulled 74, 82 & 45, and went 3 wide and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Game.
Set.
Match.

It's still early in the year, but nothing is gong to top that.

fansince'76
01-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Bright was ethical enough to pass up his chance for the spotlight when other DAs have not.

Really? I thought his pedantic attempt to "scold" Roethlisberger on national TV is a big reason a lot of people still think he's guilty. IMO, he should have just STFU after he acknowledged there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute instead of grandstanding the way he did.

Edman
01-03-2017, 05:51 PM
The Duke Lacrosse Case from 2006 should've raised a red flag for the Ben situation.

We currently live in a Scarlet Letter society where only accusations are acceptable, and unlike what we say, we are not a country of second chances. "Rapistburger" will hang on Ben for the rest of his career, just like Murdering Ray and Michael Vick the Dog Killer.

If you are accused, you are guilty until proven innocent, and even if you proven innocent. You are still guilty.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Really? I thought his pedantic attempt to "scold" Roethlisberger on national TV is a big reason a lot of people still think he's guilty. IMO, he should have just STFU after he acknowledged there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute instead of grandstanding the way he did.

Exactly. He got hoodwinked by college whores with a flimsy story and he scolded Ben because he was pissed.

You'll notice he didn't get into legal specifics until much later. When he stated he didn't even have probable cause for an arrest in a 25 to life state for a rape conviction? That should have told any sane person that Bright thought Ben was innocent, even though he couldn't come right out and say it.

zulater
01-03-2017, 07:02 PM

Well said! :applaudit:

AtlantaDan
01-03-2017, 07:23 PM

I am not saying press conference comments accompanying a decision not to recommend prosecution are appropriate (see, e.g., James Comey)

I am just saying less ethical DAs have obtained an indictment on evidence at least as sketchy (see, e.g., Mike Nifong), which would have caused even greater problems for Ben

Juries are not real friendly to men accused of assaulting drunk college girls and a major felony charge in an indictment later abandoned by a publicity seeking DA (see, e.g., Fulton County (Atlanta), Georgia DA Paul Howard) sticks to you even if you plead out to a lesser misdemeanor charge (see, e.g., Ray Lewis, who FWIW retained the same Atlanta criminal defense attorneys who represented Ben)

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 07:28 PM
He had no evidence. Ben denied having sex with her. She had a same night exam and their was no physical evidence that supported her claim.

Open.

Shut.

Done.

Shoes
01-03-2017, 07:43 PM

No, I think he was removing the microwave and shrubs from his rented house. :chuckle:

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 07:45 PM
He wrote the story Sunday afternoon after the Dolphins lost to New England and were seeded to play the Steelers then convinced his editors to publish it on the website this morning in an effort to help the Dolphins?:sofunny:

The quotes from Pouncey and Bettis were given to Price before our week one game.

But yet, he decides to "release" this article 18 weeks later BEFORE the Steelers play his hometown Dolphins?

Sorry, that's not coincidence.

Butch
01-03-2017, 09:15 PM
I don't know about you Dan, but I have no problem what-so-ever wearing my #7 jersey out in public. Ben was ACCUSED not convicted, and thank God there is a BIG difference.

Isn't it interesting that the same media that praises shady brady and belicheat of such glorious wonders is the same media that spreads shit about Ben. Difference is that those 2 actually did the crime, but lets focus on ACCUSATIONS...after all it sells.

Let me impart some words of wisdom that a farmer once told me. If you stand to close to the shit spreader you are gonna get a little on ya.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 09:20 PM
(see, e.g., Ray Lewis, who FWIW retained the same Atlanta criminal defense attorneys who represented Ben)

Because that's who the NFLPA recommended they hire.

AtlantaDan
01-03-2017, 09:48 PM
I don't know about you Dan, but I have no problem what-so-ever wearing my #7 jersey out in public. Ben was ACCUSED not convicted, and thank God there is a BIG difference.

Isn't it interesting that the same media that praises shady brady and belicheat of such glorious wonders is the same media that spreads shit about Ben. Difference is that those 2 actually did the crime, but lets focus on ACCUSATIONS...after all it sells

As I posted above, I have no illusions that I am rooting for people based on their character rather than the fact they play for the Steelers. I also do not regard a decision to wear or not wear the jersey of a particular player to be any reflection on whether they are a good person in addition to be being an extraordinary athlete . As Jerry Seinfeld so aptly said, I am rooting for clothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-L7w1K5Zo.

I own and wear on my annual pilgrimage to Heinz a Polamalu jersey - no apparent worries there about accusations of criminal conduct tarnishing the image, although if Troy was not the player he was I would not own the jersey not matter how good a person he may be.

And FWIW Brady was not convicted of anything other than what Roger Goodell (who of course also lit Ben up in 2010) determined to be misconduct, which in terms of media piling on involved a story sportswriters rode hard for 18 months.

Butch
01-03-2017, 10:22 PM
He was what??? Convicted oh and not just by godell, but by the courts too. Ben was convicted of nothing

As for the media what I said was not piling on rather that brady and belicheat get preferential treatment, hell even with deflategate there were many in the media that defended brady. Rich Eisen in particular couldn't stick his head any further up brady's backside.

AtlantaDan
01-04-2017, 07:59 AM
He was what??? Convicted oh and not just by godell, but by the courts too. Ben was convicted of nothing.

I am no Brady fan and believe he was involved in Deflategate but the courts did not convict Brady of anything

The District Court opinion that threw out the suspension blasted Goodell's decision but did not address whether Brady's alleged misconduct had been established

Judge Richard M. Berman of Federal District Court in Manhattan did not focus on whether Brady had tampered with the game balls. He did not question the outcome of the game, a 45-7 Patriots victory over the Indianapolis Colts as the team marched on to win the Super Bowl.

Instead, he focused on the narrower question of whether the collective bargaining agreement between the N.F.L. and the players’ union gave Goodell the authority to carry out the suspension, and whether Brady was treated fairly during his attempt to overturn the punishment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/04/sports/football/tom-brady-suspension-deflategate.html

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/09/03/sports/football/document-judge-dismisses-tom-bradys-four-game-suspension.html

The split decision of the Second Circuit that reinstated the suspension also focused on whether Goodell had the authority to suspend Brady under the CBA and did not reach a determination on whether Brady engaged in any alleged misconduct

In their decision, the judges did not consider the underlying facts of the case, including the science of football deflation, but instead looked solely at whether Goodell, as arbitrator, acted in the spirit of the collective bargaining agreement.

“We hold that the commissioner properly exercised this broad discretion under the collective bargaining agreement and that his procedural rulings were properly grounded in that agreement and did not deprive Brady of fundamental fairness,” Judges Barrington Daniels Parker Jr. and Denny Chin wrote in their opinion. “Accordingly, we reverse the judgment of the district court and remand with instructions to confirm the award.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/26/sports/tom-brady-deflategate-new-england-patriots-suspension-reinstated.html
http://a.espncdn.com/pdf/2016/0425/BradyRulingReversed.pdf

If Ben would have appealed his 2010 suspension the discretion granted to Goodell under the CBA to impose discipline in all likelihood would have resulted in that 2010 suspension being upheld as well - of course Ben did not seek to appeal his suspension in recognition of the first rule of holes - when you are in one quit digging

Both Brady and Ben were "convicted" of having engaged in misconduct by Roger Goodell - no more and no less - the two suspensions were based on the same kangaroo court process and relying on one to establish "guilt" while contending the other suspension established nothing would appear to be based on whether someone is a fan of one player while loathing the other player

fansince'76
01-04-2017, 08:13 AM
And FWIW Brady was not convicted of anything other than what Roger Goodell (who of course also lit Ben up in 2010) determined to be misconduct, which in terms of media piling on involved a story sportswriters rode hard for 18 months.

And a lot of that was on Brady and the Patriots and their typical "Who, me?!?" victimhood stance whenever they've been caught with their hands in the cookie jar. What's more, their conduct (equipment tampering) directly affects the product on the field and the integrity of the league (unlike Roethlisberger's), which is all Goodell should really be concerned about. We already have a criminal justice system to deal with off the field misconduct.

#CRASHFormation
01-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Go fuck yourself SI.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/da-georgia-roethlisberger-case-2010-not-case-article-1.2936346

zulater
01-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Roethlisberger was asked about the Sports Illustrated story from last week that called him the NFL’s most polarizing player. He said he didn’t read the story, but he disputed the assertions that he had heard about.

“I guess the witch hunt that was written, I think, he calls you polarizing,” Roethlisberger said, “and I guess if going home and changing diapers, playing Play-Doh, playing with dolls and playing catch is polarizing, guilty. … What’s the point (of reading it)? Everything I’ve heard, it’s just not worth it.”

Roethlisberger took another crack at the piece when he was asked if the watched Clemson’s dramatic win over Alabama in the College Football National Championship on Monday night.

“I watched the first part of it,” Roethlisberger said, “but because I’m so polarizing, I fell asleep and didn’t get to see the end of it until this morning. It looks like an awesome game.”

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2017/01/10/roethlisberger-says-hes-fine-no-longer-boot/

Butch
01-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Went to the link but didn't see the story, but I hope this shit article fires Ben up.