PDA

View Full Version : What past Super Bowl winner do we best resemble ?

The bell ringer
01-02-2017, 11:09 PM
I mean when you look at everything, team numbers, Individual numbers...what former Super Bowl team do we best resemble ? I looked at this a lot. And to me it is easy...the 2012 " Baltimore Ravens ". I mean don't you agree ?

I mean just look at them. They were not a top seed ( 4 )...Their total team points that season was 398. The Steelers this year...399. And defensively..the Ravens in 2012 allowed 344 points. We actually allowed less with 321. And it's not like the Ravens were like a team that had a lot of Sacks either....37 that year to our 38. And we would have had a lot more if we had Dupress all season, and Heyward. I mean the difference that season for Baltimore in the playoffs was Joe Flacco. I mean he had a unbelievable playoffs. No mistakes at all. That is what we have to PRAY that Ben does. Other then that, from a skill player standpoint...we have a better RB in Bell, better prime WR in Antonio. Now you can say that even though the team numbers are very similar, that at least Baltimore had some tested Vets, Boldin was a tested Vet who had played in a Super Bowl. Torry Smith was just in his 2nd season, and was not great. But was a good deep threat that drew a lot of penalties. And even though our defense was statistically better...they still had Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Suggs.

But I still say that of all the past Super Bowl winners...the 2012 Ravens team that year best resembles our Steelers ( Team numbers wise )

BigBen2004
01-03-2017, 12:40 AM
Ben Roethlisberger will have a postseason for the ages. Dude is motivated.

Mark it down

Mojouw
01-03-2017, 12:02 PM
One of the recent Giants teams. Get hot at the right time and ride that to a SB title. Good but nowhere near dominant.

Born2Steel
01-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Always takes a bit of luck, as well as the talent. Just look at the last 2 games. If AB doesn't stretch out the ball, we lose. That goes to AB's talent. The luck comes in that not one of those defenders went for the ball. If one of those 3 guys tried to punch, swipe, or pull the ball from AB, he would not have been able to stretch it out for the score.
In the Brown's game, they had it won in regulation but we got the fumble. That part comes down to talent. In OT, I thought the Browns were going to run it all the way in for the TD to win. As luck would have it, from the 2 they try a pass and take a sack that forces them to kick a fg. Our lucky part is that they called a pass play there. They were running at will. From the 2 it looked like a sure TD by Crowell.
Point? Not only have we been playing very good football lately, but also getting the breaks as well. Sort of reminds me of the Pats win against the Seahawks.

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 12:23 PM
One of the recent Giants teams. Get hot at the right time and ride that to a SB title. Good but nowhere near dominant.

Yeah but neither of those two Giants teams were Hot going into the playoffs.

polamalubeast
01-03-2017, 03:10 PM
2005 steelers?

The 2005 steelers needed to win their last 4 games to make the playoffs....It was almost the same thing for this year.

The difference is that this year the steelers are not dominant, but they find a way to win.In the last 8 wins of the 2005 steelers, 7 of their wins were by more than 10 points.

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 03:16 PM
2005 steelers?

The 2005 steelers needed to win their last 4 games to make the playoffs....It was almost the same thing for this year.

The difference is that this year the steelers are not dominant, but they find a way to win.In the last 8 wins of the 2005 steelers, 7 of their wins were by more than 10 points.

That 2005 team might have needed those wins...but that defense was still the best in all of football. The comparison is not even close to this team.

teegre
01-03-2017, 04:06 PM
I was thinking the 2009 Saints.

This is current offense is not as prolific... but, it can be. The Saints' defense wasn't very good (ours is actually better), but they did indeed come up with key stops in key situations (pick-six in the SuperBowl).

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 04:08 PM
I was thinking the 2009 Saints.

This is current offense is not as prolific... but, it can be. The Saints' defense wasn't very good (ours is actually better), but they did indeed come up with key stops in key situations (pick-six in the SuperBowl).

Difference was that that Saints team..even though they allowed a lot of points, were up among the best team in takeaways. Also...it helped them a lot that they were the # 1 seed, and all games were in New Orleans.

86WARD
01-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Yeah but neither of those two Giants teams were Hot going into the playoffs.

Neither were the 2012 Ravens...losing 4 of their last 5...lol. The Ravens were about as cold as you could get going into the playoffs.

tube517
01-03-2017, 06:21 PM
95 Steelers

Started 3-4...won 8 in a row and lost the meaningless last (although entertaining) game of the season vs the Packers.

I hope the result of the Super Bowl is different this time around...

43Hitman
01-03-2017, 06:23 PM
95 Steelers

Started 3-4...won 8 in a row and lost the meaningless last (although entertaining) game of the season vs the Packers.

I hope the result of the Super Bowl is different this time around...We'll have Ben this time. :rockon:

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Neither were the 2012 Ravens...losing 4 of their last 5...lol. The Ravens were about as cold as you could get going into the playoffs.

I never used that as a comparison...ust the fact that they,like us were not a top-2 seed, but a division winner who both scored the same on Offense, and were about the same defensively. Those Giant teams were at least top-10 defensively.

polamalubeast
01-03-2017, 06:34 PM
I never used that as a comparison...ust the fact that they,like us were not a top-2 seed, but a division winner who both scored the same on Offense, and were about the same defensively. Those Giant teams were at least top-10 defensively.

Not in 2011.....The steelers are 10th in PPG on defense this year too...

86WARD
01-03-2017, 06:54 PM

That's not even close to,what you wrote in response to the Giants being one of the teams. You mentioned nothing to Mojouw about the Giants defense. You just said they weren't hot going into the playoffs.

2009 Saints are similar. High powered offense and 20's ranked defense. They were a one seed though. '74 Steelers are similar. Three seed, Top-10 offense. I'll also agree with the Giants teams.

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 06:59 PM
That's not even close to,what you wrote in response to the Giants being one of the teams. You mentioned nothing to Mojouw about the Giants defense. You just said they weren't hot going into the playoffs.

2009 Saints are similar. High powered offense and 20's ranked defense. They were a one seed though. '74 Steelers are similar. Three seed, Top-10 offense. I'll also agree with the Giants teams.

LOL...Yes but being a 1 seed does make all the difference. That is why you can't compare us to the Saints in any way. The 2012 Ravens team is the best example given everything.

Mojouw
01-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Weird. Someone started a thread to talk about opinions, gave theirs, and now refuses to acknowledge the possibility of any other opinions being legitimate or based in reason.

I think we just summed up communication in these modern times in one thread about football.

This place is getting really unpleasant to be around. So Sad.

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Weird. Someone started a thread to talk about opinions, gave theirs, and now refuses to acknowledge the possibility of any other opinions being legitimate or based in reason.

I think we just summed up communication in these modern times in one thread about football.

Sorry but despite the title thread...I never asked anyone their opinions...I stated my own findings. You can have whatever opinion you like. Just base it on as much facts and reason you can. I too looked at both those 2009 SB teams..Saints & Colts.....but because they were both supposed to go to the Super Bowl that year...I did not see a comparison to us as a 5rd seed. But hey if you thin k that they're better examples of our team this season...fine. Whatever floats your boat.

teegre
01-03-2017, 07:12 PM

QUESTION:
What is your favorite dessert?

Mojouw
01-03-2017, 07:14 PM
The question mark in the title kinda implies that you are asking a question.

I mean if you want to ask and answer all your own questions and accept no other perspectives, why come to a message board?

Just use the internet to jerk off the standard way.

- - - Updated - - -

QUESTION:
What is your favorite dessert?

I'm not telling unless you can tell me what the airspeed of swallow is!

teegre
01-03-2017, 07:18 PM

African or European?

The bell ringer
01-03-2017, 07:25 PM
The question mark in the title kinda implies that you are asking a question.

I mean if you want to ask and answer all your own questions and accept no other perspectives, why come to a message board?

Just use the internet to jerk off the standard way.

- - - Updated - - -

Well sorry about the confusion. Yeah, I guess the title does make it sound like I am seeking others opinions, and not just verifying my own. But I do appreciate your take, as well as others.

86WARD
01-04-2017, 06:47 AM
It's not the 2012 Ravens. Not even close.

Born2Steel
01-04-2017, 07:30 AM
We definitely best resemble the 72 Dolphins.

86WARD
01-04-2017, 02:57 PM
We definitely best resemble the 72 Dolphins.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Like Sarcasm dude.

The bell ringer
01-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Sarcasm dude.

https://media.giphy.com/media/8Icy2fIfIg4p2/giphy.gif

86WARD
01-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Sarcasm dude.

Really?? I didn't pick up on that. Thanks for the heads up!! I think I'll like it anyway!!

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 05:06 AM
2005 steelers no doubt....We're a running team right now and our defense is dominant.

And the steelers had to win almost every game after their losing streak to make the playoffs.

The only difference is that our running game with Bell is on fire and Roethlisberger was better in the playoffs in 2005 than this year.