PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Needs To Remain Consistent For Steelers To Go Far In Playoffs

Shoes
01-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Former undrafted wide receiver Eli Rogers has been the most consistent bright spot on the Pittsburgh Steelers who isn’t named Ben Roethlisberger, Le’veon Bell or Antonio Brown. To possibly win the AFC and make it to the Super Bowl, the Steelers will need big plays from other skill players such as Rogers.
In the Steelers’ last three games, Rogers has posted more than adequate numbers, averaging 5 catches and over 70 yards per game. The most important part is that he has been consistent. With Sammie Coates not being a factor the last two thirds of the year and Darrius Heyward-Bey being injured, someone had to step up and Rogers has of late.
Rogers’ biggest catch of the season came against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 15. The Louisville product took a page out of Brown’s book and ran a perfect route to catch the go-ahead touchdown late in the 4th quarter.

More here:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01/rogers-needs-remain-consistent-steelers-go-far-playoffs/

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 07:51 PM
So does his playing time.

Can't be consistent when you're constantly shuffling guys in and out of the huddle.

The bell ringer
01-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Rogers, as well as Ayers and Hamilton and James are getting some valuable High pressure experience. That can only help us in the future. But our success will be dependent on Bell, and Antonio. And our defense being able to grow and being able to contain opponents running game. We should be able to do that against Ajayi with extra defenders up front. You gotta make Matt Moore...who has never sniffed any playoff action before try and beat us. But we must confuse him with multiple looks on defense.

But as for Rogers, and the rest, they will do fine. And hopefully we have Ladarius back to help spread the other teams defense to allow those guys and Antonio to work the short area of the field.

Psycho Ward 86
01-02-2017, 10:50 PM
Work. Sammie Coates. In.

This is the perfect time to do it. Dolphins missing their starting safeties. Coates with another 2 weeks to heal up those hands. Yeah sure he might not fully recover until after the season is over, but hes healthy enough to play. Mark my words, the superbowl just isnt going to happen without a true deep threat to compliment AB

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Hammy is still tight. Might not be able to. But they need to.

He was dressed Sunday, couldn't go.

Craic
01-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Hammy is still tight. Might not be able to. But they need to.

He was dressed Sunday, couldn't go.

The team needs to invest in a personal masseuse for him this week . . . preferably an ugly male so we don't have any other issues.

cubanstogie
01-03-2017, 08:57 PM
Work. Sammie Coates. In.

This is the perfect time to do it. Dolphins missing their starting safeties. Coates with another 2 weeks to heal up those hands. Yeah sure he might not fully recover until after the season is over, but hes healthy enough to play. Mark my words, the superbowl just isnt going to happen without a true deep threat to compliment AB
DHB can be the deep threat. I actually think he is more aggressive than Coates at jump balls anyway. Neither of them have great hands. Coates has shown improvement , so thats a good sign for the future. Darrius actually has looked hungrier lately.

Mojouw
01-03-2017, 11:22 PM
So if Coates never breaks his fingers in the Miami game (I think) and didn't have some ugly drops and them continued his pace up to that point and basically caught about 65 balls for like 1300+ yards around 11 TDs and led the league in yards per catch, would his hands still be bad? Or would it be Hsleys fault.

Coates is the best deep threat on the roster when his fingers work. Does he need to work on his game? Hell yes. His inability to come back to ball or fight through DBs is maddening. But if he's close to healthy he needs to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-03-2017, 11:47 PM
So if Coates never breaks his fingers in the Miami game (I think) and didn't have some ugly drops and them continued his pace up to that point and basically caught about 65 balls for like 1300+ yards around 11 TDs and led the league in yards per catch, would his hands still be bad? Or would it be Hsleys fault.

Coates is the best deep threat on the roster when his fingers work. Does he need to work on his game? Hell yes. His inability to come back to ball or fight through DBs is maddening. But if he's close to healthy he needs to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Agreed! He seems to have the worst broken fingers issue ever though! Yea I know he had hamstring issues of late. Way better then DHB as a deep threat but dude needs to suck it up and play! Other wise move on without him next year.

#CRASHFormation
01-03-2017, 11:49 PM
Hands are fine. It's the hammy now.

01-04-2017, 12:00 AM
Hands are fine. It's the hammy now. Excuses don't help to win a championship!

Shoes
01-04-2017, 12:05 AM
Sounds like he has the Wheaton/Sham Thomas syndrome. I'd go with DHB and hope Bryant can make it back next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that is one of the big problems with him imo. Coates isn't a natural fighter, I think this can be clearly seen in his demeanor. With his size and upper body he should make Anquan Boldin look like pee wee herman but the opposite is true. I don't think this is something that can be taught and sooner or later the attitude of waiting for the football to make a 90 degree turn and fall in your hands is going to return. He has the size but the internal stuff is missing imo.

pczach
01-04-2017, 05:14 AM
Sounds like he has the Wheaton/Sham Thomas syndrome. I'd go with DHB and hope Bryant can make it back next season.

And that is one of the big problems with him imo. Coates isn't a natural fighter, I think this can be clearly seen in his demeanor. With his size and upper body he should make Anquan Boldin look like pee wee herman but the opposite is true. I don't think this is something that can be taught and sooner or later the attitude of waiting for the football to make a 90 degree turn and fall in your hands is going to return. He has the size but the internal stuff is missing imo.

I'm just not sure how you can say you know that about a guy that hasn't started many games in the NFL, but has been productive when healthy. As Mojouw stated above, if Coates doesn't get injured, he was on pace for a ton of yards, big plays, and touchdowns. All that while stretching the field like nobody else on the roster. He was on pace for a year that crushes any year the DHB has ever had in the NFL, and he's accomplished that in 5 NFL starts.

I guess that's why some of us don't understand the people that are ready to dismiss Coates so easily. DHB has done nothing........nothing.......as a receiver in the NFL to make anyone believe that Coates isn't already a better wide receiver than DHB has ever been or ever will be.

Coates is a big, fast second year player that can only get better and has at times been a problem for NFL defenses when on the field. If he's healthy, he should be on the field.....period. I just don't get the criticism for a young guy with a ton of talent that doesn't appear to be a bad guy. I see nothing but a guy with a chance to be a difference-maker if he doesn't let himself be pulled down by the outside noise of fans that think he should already have 120 catches for 1800 yards and 20 touchdowns or somehow he's inferior to a veteran journeyman WR that was officially a bust and now plays special teams to stay in the league.

Shoes
01-04-2017, 08:00 AM
I'm just not sure how you can say you know that about a guy that hasn't started many games in the NFL, but has been productive when healthy. As Mojouw stated above, if Coates doesn't get injured, he was on pace for a ton of yards, big plays, and touchdowns. All that while stretching the field like nobody else on the roster. He was on pace for a year that crushes any year the DHB has ever had in the NFL, and he's accomplished that in 5 NFL starts.

I guess that's why some of us don't understand the people that are ready to dismiss Coates so easily. DHB has done nothing........nothing.......as a receiver in the NFL to make anyone believe that Coates isn't already a better wide receiver than DHB has ever been or ever will be.

Coates is a big, fast second year player that can only get better and has at times been a problem for NFL defenses when on the field. If he's healthy, he should be on the field.....period. I just don't get the criticism for a young guy with a ton of talent that doesn't appear to be a bad guy. I see nothing but a guy with a chance to be a difference-maker if he doesn't let himself be pulled down by the outside noise of fans that think he should already have 120 catches for 1800 yards and 20 touchdowns or somehow he's inferior to a veteran journeyman WR that was officially a bust and now plays special teams to stay in the league.

I really hope I'm wrong about Coates, I don't want any Steeler player to fail. Coates is big and fast but he doesn't have the fight in him to go after the ball, he expects it right on his numbers. As for DHB, I think he would be more reliable through the playoffs if Coates still has the ham/finger issue and pray that Bryant makes it back next season.

tube517
01-04-2017, 08:10 AM
I don't think they will give up on Coates. I'm hoping he will bounce back next year. I am not really counting on him to contribute this year.

Next year's group of WR's and TE's is going to be crazy good unless pot and injuries wipes them out again.

Mojouw
01-04-2017, 10:49 AM
I really hope I'm wrong about Coates, I don't want any Steeler player to fail. Coates is big and fast but he doesn't have the fight in him to go after the ball, he expects it right on his numbers. As for DHB, I think he would be more reliable through the playoffs if Coates still has the ham/finger issue and pray that Bryant makes it back next season.

I think you and I agree on this. I will say, I am a bit more hopeful about the potential for Coates to change/develop. I seem to remember Bryant not really coming back and fighting for the ball either. I feel like the same thing was said, although to a lesser degree, about a young Plaxico.

I personally think that when they are young these guys that can just rip the top off a defense have no idea how to come back and fight for the ball because prior to the NFL they have never NOT been open by like 5+ yards. In contrast, guys like Hines Ward and AB who have less of a just flat out-run dudes kinda game - have spent much of their time learning how to go get contested footballs.

Coates does college open really well, he needs to learn what NFL open is. It will be interesting to see if he can do it. If he can't by sometime next season, then he likely never will (3rd year leap and all that) and will remain a "one trick pony". If he does, then he will be an absolute terror for defenses across the league.

But you are correct, Shoes, it just comes down to whether or not Coates has it in him or not.

Mojouw
01-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Oh yeah. One more thing. The WR coach largely responsible for developing this unstoppable pipeline of talent is going to retire after the season. I know it sounds weird, but I feel like this is one of those "hidden" factors that could really impact the roster.

The ability to draft and develop multi dominant NFL wideouts without needing to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick to do it is a real advantage.

cubanstogie
01-04-2017, 10:59 AM

His future is brighter than DHB no doubt, but right this second I would rather have DHB going for a jump ball against a defensive back than Coates. I get people want Coates to be a stud, he has the size and speed, what he dooesn't have is body control and so far the ability or instincts to come back to ball and go up and get it with authority. DHB is considered a bust to the Raiders since they wasted a first round pick, but to the Steelers I consider him a good pick up. Steelers aren't asking him to be the guy, he only needs to play great on special teams and make a crucial catch once in a while. Next year different story, DHB might even be gone.

Craic
01-04-2017, 12:14 PM

It might be, but the question is, is it mentality or training? What I'm getting at is, is it that Coates just doesn't want to fight for it, or is it that he's never had to fight for the ball before due to his size and ability at the collegiate level and who he played against and therefore, doesn't actually know how? If it is the latter, then he can be trained. If it's the former, then I'd prefer we open the spot to someone else in the offseason.

Born2Steel
01-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Coates' draft summary...

Weaknesses Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

tube517
01-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Oh yeah. One more thing. The WR coach largely responsible for developing this unstoppable pipeline of talent is going to retire after the season. I know it sounds weird, but I feel like this is one of those "hidden" factors that could really impact the roster.

The ability to draft and develop multi dominant NFL wideouts without needing to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick to do it is a real advantage.

Damn Damn Damn!!!!

Shoes
01-04-2017, 01:32 PM
It might be, but the question is, is it mentality or training? What I'm getting at is, is it that Coates just doesn't want to fight for it, or is it that he's never had to fight for the ball before due to his size and ability at the collegiate level and who he played against and therefore, doesn't actually know how? If it is the latter, then he can be trained. If it's the former, then I'd prefer we open the spot to someone else in the offseason.

Thats possible Preach but there is something there. Mendenhall, Sweed, Worilds, Adams & Cortez Allen all had the size & talent but the drive was missing

Coates' draft summary...

Weaknesses

Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

I'd say thats a pretty accurate description of Sammie Coates.

fansince'76
01-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Damn Damn Damn!!!! http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/1061evansville.com/files/2016/07/james-evans-sr.jpg http://www.brueningglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/cut-1.jpg

:chuckle:

86WARD
01-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Rogers: "Hey SteelerNation we need you loud in Sunday! Have two in both hands!!"

teegre
01-04-2017, 02:24 PM
DHB vs. COATES:

For the next few games and/or playoff run: DHB

For the next few years: Coates

Let's honest: they both are likely to drop the pass. But, what DHB does (that Coates has not learned yet) is that he fights for the ball. Like it or not, that makes a huge difference for the refs.

Coates:
The pass is up, Coates gets held, but he is 5 yards away from the ball. No flag.

DHB:
The pass is up, DHB gets held, but he is trying to get to the ball, which the refs sees. Flag, flag, flag.

ALLD
01-04-2017, 05:10 PM
DHB made a huge clutch catch a week ago. Just think if Eli played for Green Bay...or the Giants.

01-04-2017, 05:26 PM
DHB vs. COATES:

For the next few games and/or playoff run: DHB

For the next few years: Coates

Let's honest: they both are likely to drop the pass. But, what DHB does (that Coates has not learned yet) is that he fights for the ball. Like it or not, that makes a huge difference for the refs.

Coates:
The pass is up, Coates gets held, but he is 5 yards away from the ball. No flag.

DHB:
The pass is up, DHB gets held, but he is trying to get to the ball, which the refs sees. Flag, flag, flag. Ravens playoff strategy since Flaco and Harbaugh.

Psycho Ward 86
01-04-2017, 06:38 PM
i still have a bad feeling we dont get passed New England (assuming we make it that far) if Coates doesnt present a respectable deep threat

The bell ringer
01-04-2017, 06:41 PM
i still have a bad feeling we dont get passed New England (assuming we make it that far) if Coates doesnt present a respectable deep threat

I think Green could be the bigger need against the Pats. They have trouble with TE's as well as Miami, and they will have to respect his Speed. Something they did not have to do in the first game.

#CRASHFormation
01-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Coates' draft summary...

Weaknesses

Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

And the day we drafted him, the Steelers brass blamed that on his being shuffled in and out of the lineup.

And I'm thinking, "Um, that's exactly what Todd Haley does"