PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding our receivers....

StillCurtains
01-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Hello guys!

Our young inexperienced receivers have been getting much needed experience and have been making plays to build their confidence.

Rogers has been coming on very nicely as of late. Ayers has made some timely plays for us last week and today, even though he had a drop but came up big on the 4th and 2.

Hamilton has had some possesion catches and had the huge game winning TD today. The question is: with AB and Heyward Bey back and possibly Coates with Rogers cemented in at the slot, can we continue to keep Hamilton and Ayers on the roster?

Personally I think we should keep them all. In order to do that do we have to put guys on the practice squad? If so I would say Shabazz, but who else if need be?

The bell ringer
01-01-2017, 04:09 PM
We could have 6 WR's for the playoff roster. But I also could see 5. And if Tomlin is still going with Hamilton and Antonio on returns..I hate to say it but my Boy Ayers might be on the outside looking in come next weekend.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2017, 04:10 PM
No way should we keep 7 receivers. Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Eli Rogers, Sammie Coates, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Ayers/Hamilton will work out great. The first 4 players will be very active on offense, DHB is great on special teams, and Ayers/Hamilton could maybe be sprinkled in to add a wrinkle but both need to show their weight on special teams and thats the guy that will get a hat on gameday

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 04:14 PM
By what they did today it would appear Ayres is the last on the depth chart.

StillCurtains
01-01-2017, 04:18 PM
No way should we keep 7 receivers. Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Eli Rogers, Sammie Coates, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Ayers/Hamilton will work out great. The first 4 players will be very active on offense, DHB is great on special teams, and Ayers/Hamilton could maybe be sprinkled in to add a wrinkle but both need to show their weight on special teams and thats the guy that will get a hat on gameday

No I'm only saying for this year not next year. I know Bryant is still on the roster but not active. While he is currently out, I would like to keep these other guys at least for this playoff run.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2017, 04:23 PM
No I'm only saying for this year not next year. I know Bryant is still on the roster but not active. While he is currently out, I would like to keep these other guys at least for this playoff run.

oh my bad. imo 6 sounds good to me. Ayers has shown some moves the past 2 weeks that could come in handy and add a new wrinkle to this offense. Hamilton is our best blocking receiver and when you have Bell, that matters. I say go for it

tube517
01-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Radio postgame guys talking about that right now. Coates may have to fight Ayers for a hat???

Shoes
01-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Get rid of Coates, if not he'll eventually cost us a big game. Hamilton proves each week he's a better receiver. Ayers can be a big plus if used correctly.

The bell ringer
01-01-2017, 04:32 PM
If Coates is healthy, no way he doesn't make the playoff roster. Not with Green's status up in the air. We have to have some sort of a taller vertical threat.

43Hitman
01-01-2017, 04:33 PM
With DHB back, Coates needs to ride the pine. DHB can stretch the field and he has enough game cred to be respected. That's all we need for the underneath stuff to AB, Bell and Company.

The bell ringer
01-01-2017, 04:40 PM
With DHB back, Coates needs to ride the pine. DHB can stretch the field and he has enough game cred to be respected. That's all we need for the underneath stuff to AB, Bell and Company.

DHB still has the speed yes. But his hands make " Dwight Stone's " hands look like Jerry Rice.

Shoes
01-01-2017, 04:43 PM

Agreed, thats all Coates can do is run in a straight line. I'd let him run right out of the stadium to another team.

tube517
01-01-2017, 04:44 PM
DHB still has the speed yes. But his hands make " Dwight Stone's " hands look like Jerry Rice.

I'm not confident in Coates' hands/fingers at this point.

Shoes
01-01-2017, 04:45 PM
I'm not confident in Coates' hands/fingers at this point.

I'm not confident when his hand/fingers are good.

Steeldude
01-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Hello guys!

Our young inexperienced receivers have been getting much needed experience and have been making plays to build their confidence.

Rogers has been coming on very nicely as of late. Ayers has made some timely plays for us last week and today, even though he had a drop but came up big on the 4th and 2.

Hamilton has had some possesion catches and had the huge game winning TD today. The question is: with AB and Heyward Bey back and possibly Coates with Rogers cemented in at the slot, can we continue to keep Hamilton and Ayers on the roster?

Personally I think we should keep them all. In order to do that do we have to put guys on the practice squad? If so I would say Shabazz, but who else if need be?

Coates shouldn't be activated at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet he is a better option than Coates. Coates is worse than Bey, Sweed and Dwight Stone by far when it comes to catching. It has nothing to do with his injury. He simply can't catch and his fundamentals as a WR are non-existent.

Brown, Rogers, Bey, Hamilton and Ayers should be fine.

DesertSteel
01-01-2017, 04:56 PM
If you have 7 receivers you don't have 2.

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 04:57 PM
That's not true. Coates had that one up and down game early in the year. And somehow hasn't been playing since.

Kid makes plays, Keep him on the field more than 5 minutes without shuffling.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have 7 receivers you don't have 2.

1995 team did. 2nd best group behind 1978.

Mojouw
01-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Coates was on pace for a 70-80 catch season with a ton of yards and double digit TDs before the injury. He needs reps or he loses focus. It's been his core problem since college. I think he still leads the league in yards per reception.

Im not ready to give up on him yet.

The bell ringer
01-01-2017, 05:14 PM
Coates was on pace for a 70-80 catch season with a ton of yards and double digit TDs before the injury. He needs reps or he loses focus. It's been his core problem since college. I think he still leads the league in yards per reception.

Im not ready to give up on him yet.

Absolute 100 % right. Dude hardly played last year, and is in season 2. He has a great attitude and works hard to get better. Yes he can drop some passes, but it's not like he is anywhere near the league leader in drops.

DesertSteel
01-01-2017, 05:21 PM
1995 team did. 2nd best group behind 1978.
Who was the #2 on that team? I don't recall.

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Mills. Who flourished in 1995 as the deep threat.

DesertSteel
01-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Mills. Who flourished in 1995 as the deep threat.
And we carried 7 WRs on the playoff roster?

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-01-2017, 05:39 PM
A healthy Coates makes this team better and more dangerous. Do we have that and seems his fingers have been broke for 10 weeks ?

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 05:46 PM
And we carried 7 WRs on the playoff roster?

Rosters are different now than they were back then. You can activate a practice squad guy every week if you wish.

Steeldude
01-01-2017, 05:49 PM
A healthy Coates makes this team better and more dangerous. Do we have that and seems his fingers have been broke for 10 weeks ?

He couldn't catch before his injury. He is a worse version of Wallace.

01-01-2017, 05:54 PM
He couldn't catch before his injury. He is a worse version of Wallace. Wrong! He was leading the league as a deep threat. Open up everything for everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

I do think he maybe a one trick pony like Wallace though but still those guys are important.

quistors
01-01-2017, 07:19 PM
By what they did today it would appear Ayres is the last on the depth chart.
Ayers is definitely not last on the depth chart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quistors
01-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Based on the past 2 weeks it should go
Ab, Eli, ayers, cobi, dhb in that order. No need to carry 6 or 7 wr when we have green and jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
01-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Rosters are different now than they were back then. You can activate a practice squad guy every week if you wish.
But my point was that if we have to carry 7 receivers (which we won't) that means that no one is stepping up into the 2 role. I think my argument still stands. Not sure what Mills and '95 have to do with it.

86WARD
01-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Who was the #2 on that team? I don't recall.

It was actually Charles Johnson who was the starter opposite Yancey Thigpen. Mills and Hastings were 3 and 4 although they both out produced CJ. The 1995 team carried 5 receivers. Thigpen, CJ, Mills, Hastings and Barnes. Corey Holliday was around too but not often...so maybe 6 if you want to count Holliday.

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Charles Johnson was actually #4 because he was hurt and battled a nagging knee injury all year.

86WARD
01-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Charles Johnson was actually #4 because he was hurt and battled a nagging knee injury all year.

No he wasn't he played 15 games in 1995. There were some games he didn't start but the majority, he was the starter opposite Thigpen.

http://i63.tinypic.com/33w1vo4.png

01-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Oh my it's getting real now and he is bring out the stats Crash.

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 11:37 PM
And he ended the year on IR because he and his knee couldn't take any more. That was how Kordell first got reps at WR at practice because Johnny Barnes got hurt and CJ couldn't practice a whole lot during the week. Then they discovered, by accident, that no one could cover Kordell and that's how Slash was born.

Johnson caught three passes COMBINED the last three games he suited up. Didn't get in the other two games he dressed cause he couldn't run and then was put on IR.

Mojouw
01-01-2017, 11:56 PM
Who cares? Johnson was the starter until he got hurt. Saying he was the #4 wideout isn't really a total representation of the truth. It implies that CJ was the 4th best WR on the team. While that may or may not have been true, it wasn't how the Steelers saw it at the time. What any of this has to do with anything 2 decades later I have no clue.

Folks wouldn't feel the need to nitpick each posting if you weren't a confrontational and abrasive keyboard tough guy in every thread. We get it. 3-4 WRs at all times and push the ball downfield. I personally mostly agree with this and have argued often around here that passing is what wins in the modern NFL with running the ball and stopping the run equals championships as a fairly outdated maxim. I know others think this way as well. But your dismissive tone, childish repetition of the same points across threads, seeming unwillingness to engage in a discussion with anyone who disagrees with you, and your apparent disrespectful attitude towards some long time members has no one willing to engage your ideas.

Steeldude
01-01-2017, 11:57 PM
Wrong! He was leading the league as a deep threat. Open up everything for everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

I do think he maybe a one trick pony like Wallace though but still those guys are important.

And still dropping passes.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 12:04 AM
3-4 WRs at all times and push the ball downfield.

Once more with clarity.

Three wides, a TE, a RB. Stop the bullshit with #74, #45, and #82.

You know, the way they did in the second half and we saw Landry Jones turn into Bert Jones right before our eyes today.

86WARD
01-02-2017, 06:03 AM
And he ended the year on IR because he and his knee couldn't take any more. That was how Kordell first got reps at WR at practice because Johnny Barnes got hurt and CJ couldn't practice a whole lot during the week. Then they discovered, by accident, that no one could cover Kordell and that's how Slash was born.

Johnson caught three passes COMBINED the last three games he suited up. Didn't get in the other two games he dressed cause he couldn't run and then was put on IR.

That's irrelevant. Point is, Johnson was the number two receiver. Mills was not...lol.

Sorry to have to bring the stats out to prove you wrong...again.

It's okay to not know everything. :coffee:

DesertSteel
01-02-2017, 10:31 AM
I see us going WR in the draft in Rd 3-4.

Steelermania
01-02-2017, 10:47 AM
It was actually Charles Johnson who was the starter opposite Yancey Thigpen. Mills and Hastings were 3 and 4 although they both out produced CJ. The 1995 team carried 5 receivers. Thigpen, CJ, Mills, Hastings and Barnes. Corey Holliday was around too but not often...so maybe 6 if you want to count Holliday.

I can still see Corey Holiday breaking wide open down the sideline for what would have been a touchdown, if O'Donnell hadn't been so conservative. Both Ben, and Bradshaw get the touchdown there, but modest talents like Neil tend to go by the book, so when he saw the blitz, it was automatically look for the safety valve pass. When Dallas blitzed Bradshaw back in SB10, instead of playing it safe, Brad looked to make them pay. Boom, 64 yards to Swann for the game winner.