PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones

GBMelBlount
01-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Is a decent backup and played pretty well today.

I'd like to see him continue as our back up.

Then move up and grab a top QB in the draft (if possible) when Ben is retiring.

Mojouw
01-01-2017, 03:47 PM
I would like the team to have an honest competition between Jones and Mettenberger next preseason.

The bell ringer
01-01-2017, 03:51 PM
I want Nathan Peterman!!!

SteelerFanInStl
01-01-2017, 03:51 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with that. I don't want to see him on the team next year. We've seen enough of Landry.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Landry Jones probably had one of the most deceptive stat lines youll ever see today. if we can keep him for $2 million a season or under, ill take him, but i also want to see a competition as said above between him and Mettenberger. If we see a midround QB we really like i say take him and see which of the 2 we can knock off the roster.

Craic
01-01-2017, 04:27 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with that. I don't want to see him on the team next year. We've seen enough of Landry.

Landry Jones is the best third string QB in the league. The problem is he's now in a second string position.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
01-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Like I said in the game day post Landry can make some great throws every now and then but lacks consistence and is his main issue.

SteelerFanInStl
01-01-2017, 04:31 PM
Landry Jones is the best third string QB in the league. The problem is he's now in a second string position.

LOL! Ain't that the truth!

plenewken
01-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Landry is not a 2nd string QB. I hope the Steelers put him in competition with Mettenberger for the 3rd spot and draft a QB in the early rounds this year.

Shoes
01-01-2017, 04:35 PM

I would like the team to have an honest competition between Jones and Mettenberger next preseason.

Agreed. Jones has arm strength but seems to be lacking in all other areas of the position. I'd keep my eyes open for a solid backup in the draft.

SteelerFanInStl
01-01-2017, 04:39 PM
If they bring him back, I have serious doubts that there would be an actual honest competition for the backup position. That's why I don't want him back.

BlackAndGold
01-01-2017, 04:47 PM
How many 2nd string QB's are better than Jones?

vader29
01-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Landry will probably get a "random" drug test this week. :chuckle:

fansince'76
01-01-2017, 04:51 PM
Landry will probably get a "random" drug test this week. :chuckle:

Wouldn't surprise me.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2017, 05:25 PM
How many 2nd string QB's are better than Jones?

Now THIS is a compelling question for the fans to ask themselves. Here are the current 2nd string QB's around the league:

Patriots: Jimmy Garoppolo
Dolphins: Matt Moore
Bills: EJ Manuel
Jets: Bryce Petty

Steelers: Landry Jones
Bengals: AJ McCarron
Ravens: Ryan Mallett
Browns: Cody Kessler

Texans: Tom Savage
Titans: Matt Cassel
Colts: Scott Tolzien
Jaguars: Chad Henne

Chiefs: Nick Foles
Broncos: Paxton Lynch
Chargers: Kellen Clemens
Raiders: Matt McGloin

Cowboys: Tony Romo
Giants: Josh Johnson
Redskins: Colt McCoy
Eagles: Chase Daniel

Packers: Brett Hundley
Vikings: Shaun Hill
Lions: Dan Orlovsky
Bears: Matt Barkley

Falcons: Matt Schaub
Buccaneers: Mike Glennon
Saints: Luke McCown
Panthers: Derek Anderson

Seahawks: Trevone Boykin
Cardinals: Drew Stanton
Rams: Case Keenum
49ers: Blaine Gabbert

i bolded the guys i would take over Landry Jones. I dont think most people's choices would be that much different from mine. We can stand to do better at back up QB

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 05:28 PM
He played well after Haley left the wides out there.

01-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Landry will probably get a "random" drug test this week. :chuckle: Hope he fails!

DesertSteel
01-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Now THIS is a compelling question for the fans to ask themselves. Here are the current 2nd string QB's around the league:

i bolded the guys i would take over Landry Jones. I dont think most people's choices would be that much different from mine. We can stand to do better at back up QB
Did you watch McGloin play today??? Lol

GBMelBlount
01-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Is a decent backup and played pretty well today.

I'd like to see him continue as our back up.

Then move up and grab a top QB in the draft (if possible) when Ben is retiring.

Absolutely.

And in the interim, if we want to grab someone that drops to us in the draft that is too good to pass up, I am fine with that also.

- - - Updated - - -

He played well after Haley left the wides out there.

Yep, I don't understand why they do the cluster fook plays.

quistors
01-01-2017, 07:02 PM

Shaun hill man seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Yep, I don't understand why they do the cluster fook plays.

Because Toddy's genius and appeasing idiots is his #1 concern.

Until they get down 10 points.

86WARD
01-01-2017, 07:04 PM
As bad as you'd like to say Jones is, he's clearly improving with time. He is leaps and bounds ahead of what he was two seasons ago. Is he great? No. He got off to a slow start today but once he settled in and the team started letting him beat the Browns, he wasn't horrendous. In a back up, the main thing you should look for is if he can get the team to .500 during his tenure. Jones can do that. Would I like to upgrade? Absolutely. Would I be devastated if he were the back up in 2017? Not really. I'd much rather have a veteran like Nick Foles out there or Brian Hoyer. He's a top flight 3rd string guy. He's a bottom half back up IMO.

GBMelBlount
01-01-2017, 07:28 PM
As bad as you'd like to say Jones is, he's clearly improving with time. He is leaps and bounds ahead of what he was two seasons ago. Is he great? No. He got off to a slow start today but once he settled in and the team started letting him beat the Browns, he wasn't horrendous. In a back up, the main thing you should look for is if he can get the team to .500 during his tenure. Jones can do that. Would I like to upgrade? Absolutely. Would I be devastated if he were the back up in 2017? Not really. I'd much rather have a veteran like Nick Foles out there or Brian Hoyer. He's a top flight 3rd string guy. He's a bottom half back up IMO.

Agreed, 104 passer rating and a game winning drive in overtime isn't horrendous.

I would also imagine he has a better QB rating and winning percentage than most backups. Purely a guess.

However, while I am pleased with his progress I would be fine with an upgrade if it was not costly.

zulater
01-01-2017, 07:30 PM
No LeVeon. No AB. No Pouncey. No Ladarius Green. I don't know? :noidea: All things considered I think you've got to give him credit today even if it was only against the Charlie Browns. :heh:

Born2Steel
01-01-2017, 07:32 PM
The problem with Landry Jones........

The job of the backup QB is to be able to take over if Ben cannot go. Of course there will be SOME drop off from Ben to the next guy, but the drop off to Jones is hopeless. It doesn't matter how Landry Jones compares to other team's backup QBs. That is the wrong way to approach the position. Can he QB this team if called upon is how you approach it. The answer is 'NO HE CANNOT'. He has to be upgraded, plain, pure, and simple. Is Mettenberg that upgrade? I think he is AN upgrade based off how he played in TN behind that awful Oline, with no run support. Can he be the backup for the Steelers? I don't know the answer to that at this time. But I do know Landry Jones is not the guy already. Good luck to Jones on his next team.

quistors
01-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Y'all they are back ups for a reason!!! Landry is not all that bad give the guy some credit. He rarely plays so don't expect him to just be game ready he comes in and holds his own. He doesn't make impressive throws all the time but what back up does. He's not flashy but what back up is ive never seen this much fuss over a back up good lord.

01-01-2017, 07:41 PM
He can be very dull at times and then shows signs of life. Not consistent is my issue with him.

Born2Steel
01-01-2017, 07:41 PM
How many seasons has Landry Jones been in this system. Why does he still look lost? Why does he still take delay of game penalties? I see minimal growth on his part, if any, since he got here. He just doesn't fit.

01-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Ps trade him to the Texans for there 1# pick and bet they bite lol.

DesertSteel
01-01-2017, 08:07 PM
How many seasons has Landry Jones been in this system. Why does he still look lost? Why does he still take delay of game penalties? I see minimal growth on his part, if any, since he got here. He just doesn't fit.
Lack of talent
Lack of playing time

BlackAndGold
01-01-2017, 09:40 PM

Besides guys like Henne(once a starter), Romo(he'd be starting if he didn't get hurt, still a top QB when healthy), McCarron, Garoppolo. I see no one really better than Jones.

Jones is a solid back up QB.

And they're a backup's for a reason, they all could be upgraded.

Born2Steel
01-01-2017, 09:52 PM
But that's the point of the discussion. Landry Jones has not been a solid backup QB for us. Not saying he could start for another team, or that another team's backup QB is better or worse than him. Other team's backup QBs have nothing to do with how well Landry Jones has played for us. Maybe he would do better for another team. What I do know is he is not good enough for this team. When Landry Jones is in the game, the Steelers are an average offense at best, even with the full cast. He still looks like a lost rookie out there. It's time to upgrade. Luckily we have Mettenberg. I expect ZM to take the #2 QB spot.

fansince'76
01-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Because Toddy's genius and appeasing idiots is his #1 concern.

Until they get down 14+ points. [/COLOR]

FIFY

And Paxton Lynch? LOL. Siemian is completely out of his depth as a NFL QB, and Lynch is apparently even worse. Expect Mr. Ed (Elway) to make a big push for Romo in the offseason.

http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/l/t51.2885-15/10899115_768449086536957_1650471890_n.jpg

Hello, Mr. Jones? I'd like to make a trade for Tony Romo if you're interested!

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 10:00 PM
How did you like that failed reverse? And you called it this week. LOL

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 10:06 PM
FIFY

And Paxton Lynch? LOL. Siemian is completely out of his depth as a NFL QB, and Lynch is apparently even worse. Expect Mr. Ed (Elway) to make a big push for Romo in the offseason.

And Romo and Toddy were together in Dallas I think.

Haley coming here would be like Christmas!

Born2Steel
01-01-2017, 10:09 PM
FIFY

I like Lynch. He came out after his junior year so still VERY young. Has all the physical tools, can make all the throws WITH accuracy, and is a good scrambler. Lynch has to man up his body a lot for the NFL or he's going to get killed. I like that Lynch is playing the 2 this season, and probably next as well. I think the guy is a future star. We'll see I guess, but he has had the best teachers he could've gotten over this past season. I would not be shocked if he comes out and lights it on fire ala Rodgers in a couple of seasons.

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Did you watch McGloin play today??? Lol

remember how excited people were about Landry Jones when he lit up the cardinals last year? whats your point

- - - Updated - - -

Shaun hill man seriously

Shaun Hill was actually considered arguably the best backup QB out there for a number of years...lol...

and he wouldnt need to be nearly that good to be an upgrade over Landry

fansince'76
01-01-2017, 10:56 PM
How did you like that failed reverse? And you called it this week. LOL

No, I wasn't able to see the game here, but it's really no surprise. A possible bonus of a deep postseason run will be some sucker taking him off our hands to be a HC somewhere else...

Method28
01-02-2017, 01:04 AM
Wow you guys really want Haley out of here? Idk about all that. I LOVE our coaching staff with the exception of ST and our strength and conditioning team (only reason i can come up with why we're hurt every single year)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 01:52 AM
He's awful. Barometer of success lowered for him.

He wants to stay? Win two playoff games.

He can't do that? Back your bags.

fansince'76
01-02-2017, 02:07 AM
Wow you guys really want Haley out of here?

IMO, he holds our offense back. He's strictly a beneficiary of the talent he's been afforded and what's more, has saved his bacon a number of times.

A perfect example of how he holds the offense back was the Patriots game at the beginning of last season - the offense came out of the gate on fire and were straight up shoving the ball down their throats until he decided to show everyone how smart he thinks he is and get "cute" with that ridiculous lateral/option to AB (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000525832/Antonio-Brown-gets-tackled-for-a-loss) that lost 8 yards, killed the drive, and in the process the team's momentum and completely changed the complexion of that game. And there have been numerous other instances of the exact same thing.

He's awful. Barometer of success lowered for him.

:iagree:

And I still really don't understand it considering the endless grief Arians got.

Ben taking far fewer sacks? Sorry, but IMO, the credit for that should go strictly to a much-improved OL and Munchak (mostly Munchak, because it is largely the same cast of characters and they were playing like shit until he showed up) - this piece was from November 2013, which was almost two full years after Arians left:

The schemes have changed, but the beatings have remained the same for Ben Roethlisberger.

Actually, they’ve gotten worse.

The Steelers quarterback is getting sacked at a higher rate than when he was playing under coordinator Bruce Arians, who was criticized for not sufficiently protecting the investment.

Ben Roethlisberger taking hits at record rates
(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/01/ben-roethlisberger-taking-hits-at-record-rates/)

Steel Peon
01-02-2017, 02:12 AM
I was one of the people calling for Landry to get some kind of chance to see what he could do over Mike Vick last year, and while he certainly wasn't worse, I also can't say it turned out a whole lot better. So now, he's gotten his best opportunities in the only system he's ever known in the NFL, (which consequently might be his best case scenario) and what did we see? A QB that could BARELY lead a 2nd string Steelers offense to victory over one of the worst teams to ever play pro football. Now I don't dislike the guy, but thinking about his potential capacity at the starting position (let alone back up) makes me lose interest in even watching any games he might be in.

GoSlash27
01-02-2017, 04:08 AM
A QB that could BARELY lead a 2nd string Steelers offense to victory over one of the worst teams to ever play pro football. Now I don't dislike the guy, but thinking about his potential capacity at the starting position (let alone back up) makes me lose interest in even watching any games he might be in.

Funny, I came to the opposite conclusion from the same info. I think winning with the backups and a stalled running game is pretty impressive, even if it was against the Browns. They didn't even look like they were trying in the first half.
I'd much rather be grooming Ben's replacement in the coming years, but I have to tip my hat to #3. He just took the benchwarmers and succeeded where Philip Rivers and his a-team failed.

GBMelBlount
01-02-2017, 07:03 AM
Funny, I came to the opposite conclusion from the same info. I think winning with the backups and a stalled running game is pretty impressive, even if it was against the Browns. They didn't even look like they were trying in the first half.
I'd much rather be grooming Ben's replacement in the coming years, but I have to tip my hat to #3. He just took the benchwarmers and succeeded where Philip Rivers and his a-team failed.

Agreed.

I know some there are some whiners out there who say Landry Jones is a third stringer but he was ranked around the middle of the pack coming into this year and I would say with his performance yesterday has catapulted himself to average if he wasn't already. :chuckle:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/06/nfl-backup-quarterback-2016-news-rankings

And I would be fine if we drafted our next QB soon. I just think it is a big decision as I believe? the majority of the elite QB's are usually drafted at the beginning of the first round so we would likely have to trade up to get someone like a Ben....and still, it is a crap shoot even when you pick high in the first round.

LloydWoodson
01-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Landry Jones got so much help yesterday! Please don't talk about Bell, Brown and Pouncey being out.

Browns fumble on Steelers goal line for touchback, fumble in the last minute in the Steelers red zone instead of a winning field goal, Deangelo breaking a tackle behind LOS and another to score an 11 yd TD on what should have been a loss, Ayers doing the same on 2 drives with great YAC, Bey winning a badly thrown jump ball etc.

Jones really should have lost to the 1-14 Browns yesterday. Very lucky it wasn't 21-7 at the half.

Jones in not a very good backup. That said it would be incredibly stupid to waste a pick on a backup QB in the draft. Any QB not selected in the 1st is a complete roll of the dice. I would rather have a 4th year Jones than a rookie Jones as a backup. Thinking the Steelers will take a Prescott or Wilson in the draft is far fetched. They've drafted one QB that caliber since Bradshaw.

Keep Jones or get a vet FA. Bottom line.

LloydWoodson
01-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Agreed.

I know some there are some whiners out there who say Landry Jones is a third stringer but he was ranked around the middle of the pack coming into this year and I would say with his performance yesterday has catapulted himself to average if he wasn't already. :chuckle:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/06/nfl-backup-quarterback-2016-news-rankings

And I would be fine if we drafted our next QB soon. I just think it is a big decision as I believe? the majority of the elite QB's are usually drafted at the beginning of the first round so we would likely have to trade up to get someone like a Ben....and still, it is a crap shoot even when you pick high in the first round.

I agree with you here and realistically the Steelers would have to give up a LOT to draft top 10. Won't happen til Ben is gone.

Edman
01-02-2017, 08:41 AM
IMO, he holds our offense back. He's strictly a beneficiary of the talent he's been afforded and what's more, has saved his bacon a number of times.

Yeah, the talent he HIMSELF brought in. Le'Veon Bell, Martavius Bryant, David Decastro, Kelvin Beachum, Marcus Gilbert.

When Haley was brought here, the Steelers were stuck with Jon Dwyer/Isaac Redman at RB. Hines Ward had just retired, and our best wideouts were the very green Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders, and Mike Wallace who was just about to check out. At TE we had Heath Miller. The Offensive Line was what it usually was, really uninspiring.

You're acting like Haley inherited a Ferrari Offense when that is definitely not the case. We do not even realize just how downgraded/devoid of talent the 2012-2013 Steelers were. They overachieved to go 8-8.

A perfect example of how he holds the offense back was the Patriots game at the beginning of last season - the offense came out of the gate on fire and were straight up shoving the ball down their throats until he decided to show everyone how smart he thinks he is and get "cute" with that ridiculous lateral/option to AB (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000525832/Antonio-Brown-gets-tackled-for-a-loss) that lost 8 yards, killed the drive, and in the process the team's momentum and completely changed the complexion of that game. And there have been numerous other instances of the exact same thing.

Really? I thought that had more to the do with the lack of execution in the Red Zone by the Steelers Offense all game, and Ben putting up yet another uninspired performance against a very subpar New England Defense? Other than that, you're on point about Haley getting cute. I don't like that either.

And I still really don't understand it considering the endless grief Arians got.

I think a certain 2009 Thursday Night game in Cleveland will attest to why Bruce Arians deservedly gets so much shit.

Ben taking far fewer sacks? Sorry, but IMO, the credit for that should go strictly to a much-improved OL and Munchak (mostly Munchak, because it is largely the same cast of characters and they were playing like shit until he showed up) - this piece was from November 2013, which was almost two full years after Arians left:

Ben Roethlisberger taking hits at record rates
(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/01/ben-roethlisberger-taking-hits-at-record-rates/)

Yeah, getting rid of the ball quicker definitely doesn't affect Defenses. It's a combination of both QB's developing a quicker release and superior O-Line talent and coaching. I give both Haley and Munchak credit.

Also, 2013? That's the biggest strike on Todd Haley? 2013? The year when Ben was still getting used to the Growing Pains of Haley's Offense and the O was pretty much still in transition and devoid of talent even more so than the 2012 team?

Haley definitely has his flaws, but critics really have to dig up better dirt on him than that.

pczach
01-02-2017, 08:45 AM
The problem with rating backup quarterbacks is that on a week to week basis, these guys would be moving up and down the list drastically based on their performances from that particular week. It's part of the reason they are backups to begin with. They are very inconsistent, and they get very little playing time.

Also, because other teams don't really know much about the strengths and weaknesses of these backup quarterbacks, many times they are not able to really game plan the proper defensive looks to give these guys trouble. They simply don't have enough tape on them to properly formulate a game plan that is tailored to beat them.

That may sound a little odd on the surface, but the fact is that the best quarterbacks in the NFL are the guys that have the most answers to the problems that NFL defenses throw at them. They have rooms filled with tape of Brady, Ben, and Rodgers, but those guys just have the mental and physical talent to diagnose and overcome what defenses are trying to do to them. They have more answers and ways to beat you than everybody else.

Backups need to get a chance to have significant playing time to really find out how much they are capable of. All these young quarterbacks that come into the league have their share of success and failure. The ones that succeed and thrive early are the ones everyone gets excited about, but at some point, there is enough on film to figure out what their weaknesses are to slow them down and they struggle. The ordinary guys don't have enough answers or ability to improve enough to elevate their games, and they level out at a level that is not NFL starter caliber. Others continue to improve and develop in a way that they have answers to the defensive schemes and continue to improve and become quality starters.

To answer the question about Landry Jones, I'm OK with him as a backup quarterback. I'd love to have better, but he had done everything that you could reasonably expect of a backup if you are being honest with yourself. The question then becomes money. If Jones wants to try to be a starter or make more money than he is worth he will sign with another team or the team will probably move on from him. If he is willing to take reasonable money and understand he is in a great position in Pittsburgh with an opportunity to play on championship teams and be ready to come in with a chance to play in meaningful games when Ben is out...he'll stay with the Steelers.

I have never believed he is talented enough to be the successor to Ben, and that's OK. I believe that guy isn't in the NFL yet.

01-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Nobody is reading any of your books or very long paragraphs. Sorry but true.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep it simple and we all know Landry sucks. There you go and in one sentence!

Shoes
01-02-2017, 09:20 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Speak for yourself, I read it!

01-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Speak for yourself, I read it! Your a better man then me.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps Shoe how do you keep up with both boards ?

- - - Updated - - -

fansince'76
01-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Yeah, the talent he HIMSELF brought in. Le'Veon Bell, Martavius Bryant, David Decastro, Kelvin Beachum, Marcus Gilbert.

When Haley was brought here, the Steelers were stuck with Jon Dwyer/Isaac Redman at RB. Hines Ward had just retired, and our best wideouts were the very green Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders, and Mike Wallace who was just about to check out. At TE we had Heath Miller. The Offensive Line was what it usually was, really uninspiring.

You're acting like Haley inherited a Ferrari Offense when that is definitely not the case. We do not even realize just how downgraded/devoid of talent the 2012-2013 Steelers were. They overachieved to go 8-8.

Yeah, sure - he scouted them all and drafted them personally. LOL. So, not only is he an offensive whiz, he's also a personnel genius! I will concede that the completely wasted 3rd round pick on Super Runt (Dri Archer) had Haley's fingerprints all over it, though, because he's just gotta have the "next Darren Sproles!"

Really? I thought that had more to the do with the lack of execution in the Red Zone by the Steelers Offense all game, and Ben putting up yet another uninspired performance against a very subpar New England Defense? Other than that, you're on point about Haley getting cute. I don't like that either.

Oh, so you don't think that botched first drive set a tone for the rest of the game? OK.

I think a certain 2009 Thursday Night game in Cleveland will attest to why Bruce Arians deservedly gets so much shit.

Yeah, I know, the "Cleveland game." And he used to work for the Browns too!

Yeah, getting rid of the ball quicker definitely doesn't affect Defenses. It's a combination of both QB's developing a quicker release and superior O-Line talent and coaching. I give both Haley and Munchak credit.

Also, 2013? That's the biggest strike on Todd Haley? 2013? The year when Ben was still getting used to the Growing Pains of Haley's Offense and the O was pretty much still in transition and devoid of talent even more so than the 2012 team?

Haley definitely has his flaws, but critics really have to dig up better dirt on him than that.

So why does Haley get a pass because the offense was "devoid of talent," but Arians doesn't? The OL was an absolute train wreck during Arians' tenure as OC. And no, it's not just 2013 that I feel was the only strike against him. His offense didn't do squat during 2012, 2013 and half of 2014, which is when, coincidentally enough, Bryant and Bell began to come into their own. We'll just agree to disagree, I suppose. Because IMO, this offense is at it's most effective (by far) when it goes no huddle and Ben is calling the plays and Haley is essentially taken out of the equation.

Shoes
01-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Your a better man then me.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps Shoe how do you keep up with both boards ?

- - - Updated - - -

I dont if you consider my post count.

pczach
01-02-2017, 09:47 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Was that directed at me?

Craic
01-02-2017, 09:52 AM
No LeVeon. No AB. No Pouncey. No Ladarius Green. I don't know? :noidea: All things considered I think you've got to give him credit today even if it was only against the Charlie Browns. :heh:

I just finished watching the game. And honestly, Landry Jones played a pretty decent game. He had I think, 3 or 4 passes that a better QB would have hit, but he also had some nice passes that gave his receivers a chance to fight for and win the ball. I'd still rather not have him as a number 2, but I wouldn't mind keeping him as a number 3. In fact, I think Jones might be a good guy to keep around if we plan on drafting Ben's replacement in a couple of years.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 10:20 AM

So they lost one game to the Browns in the Ben Era the first 8 years?

Haley's offense has already sucked ass in two Browns losses in Cleveland in FIVE. And they also only scored 17 at Cleveland this season on offense.

So Haley's bags should be packed also, yes?

polamalubeast
01-02-2017, 10:34 AM
So they lost one game to the Browns in the Ben Era the first 8 years?

Haley's offense has already sucked ass in two Browns losses in Cleveland in FIVE. And they also only scored 17 at Cleveland this season on offense.

So Haley's bags should be packed also, yes?[/COLOR]

I have nothing against Haley, but the gameplan of Haley in Cleveland in 2014 was worse than Arians in 2009.

But I do not judge a coach or a player on their worst game of their life.

quistors
01-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Ninik

01-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Was that directed at me? Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont if you consider my post count. Does that make you a bad ass ? Admit you post on two boards and get it over with.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 10:54 AM
I have nothing against Haley, but the gameplan of Haley in Cleveland in 2014 was worse than Arians in 2009.

But I do not judge a coach or a player on their worst game of their life.

Haley's offense has scored 21+ in Cleveland ONCE in five tries.

Worse than Arians 2 of 5.

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 11:07 AM
If no one else is brought in at QB this off-season I guess I'd be okay with it. But I think they need to be ready to jump on an opportunity id something happens. While Hawkins might be the next great tackle, Prescott was a missed opportunity. The frustrating thing is that I think they had him in for a look see as well. Makes me concerned that they have a problem evaluating QBs?

- - - Updated - - -

Nope.

Clearly it was. It is comical to call people out and then not be able to stand behind it on a message board. Not like anyone is going to show up at your house.
- - - Updated - - -

Does that make you a bad ass ? Admit you post on two boards and get it over with.

I post on several boards. What is it to you?

Belligerence is no replacement for having something useful and interesting to say.

DesertSteel
01-02-2017, 11:33 AM
If no one else is brought in at QB this off-season I guess I'd be okay with it. But I think they need to be ready to jump on an opportunity id something happens. While Hawkins might be the next great tackle, Prescott was a missed opportunity. The frustrating thing is that I think they had him in for a look see as well. Makes me concerned that they have a problem evaluating QBs?

Along with 31 other teams...

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Along with 31 other teams...

Very true. But not sure how many teams took as long a look as the Steelers did. Put it this way, the last two middle round QBs this team made draft googley eyes at were Landry Jones and Prescott. One of them they drafted and one they said no thanks to.

It it worries me a bit.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 11:46 AM
I just can't believe we scored 27 points with savior's Nix and Hubbard only getting 16 snaps combined out of 71 plays.

Psycho Ward 86
01-02-2017, 11:50 AM

I recall we tried to trade up right around where Prescott was drafted. And Prescott himself was drafted right about where draft pundits expected. Seems like Prescott shocked the world, not just us and the cowboys. Boy would having him be a huge weight off of our shoulders though

Born2Steel
01-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Jones can be the 3 on this team. The order should be Ben, Zach, then Landry. That's based on what I have seen of them as NFL QBs only. Mettenberg played as the backup to Jake Locker at TN and saw the field often. It may only be my opinion, but I think he would still be there as the starter if the new regime had not fallen in love with Mariota. Landry Jones' replacement is already on the team. No need to draft a replacement for Ben in this upcoming draft. Barring any personnel moves that trade away Mettenberg.

polamalubeast
01-02-2017, 11:53 AM
If Prescott was drafted by the steeiers,I'm sure Prescott would have been behind Landry Jones this year.....

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 11:56 AM
I recall we tried to trade up right around where Prescott was drafted. And Prescott himself was drafted right about where draft pundits expected. Seems like Prescott shocked the world, not just us and the cowboys. Boy would having him be a huge weight off of our shoulders though

I forgot about that. True on the draft position. Also true that most draft pundits were pretty high on the Jones pick as well. I'm likely just being salty because of hindsight.

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope we trade all the QBs on the roster for FBs and blocking TEs. Bring back the wishbone!

polamalubeast
01-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Jones can be the 3 on this team. The order should be Ben, Zach, then Landry. That's based on what I have seen of them as NFL QBs only. Mettenberg played as the backup to Jake Locker at TN and saw the field often. It may only be my opinion, but I think he would still be there as the starter if the new regime had not fallen in love with Mariota. Landry Jones' replacement is already on the team. No need to draft a replacement for Ben in this upcoming draft. Barring any personnel moves that trade away Mettenberg.

Agree

I mean, we still have Ben and he is still a very good QB so we have to live in the present instead of worrying about the future and when it will be time to find a new QB, it'll be time to Talk about it.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Fuck the wishbone, bring back the T Formation.

- - - Updated - - -

Thing is Jones has the smarts. He just doesn't have a major league arm. He makes Philip Rivers' arm look like Jeff George. You can get by with him, a start here or there but not long term he just can't make the throws he needs to mid range.

I thought Haley did a good job once #82, #74, and #45 went to the bench of using his talents at WR with slants, crossing routes, and YAC yards short range. I wish we'd do more of that with the first team.

Born2Steel
01-02-2017, 12:00 PM
If Prescott was drafted by the steeiers,I'm sure Prescott would have been behind Landry Jones this year.....

Seems like an accurate guess to me.

Comparing other QBs, in other systems, to our QBs, in our system, is pointless. Landry Jones may very well play better with a different team. He doesn't seem comfortable in THIS system. That is the point and what needs to be addressed for THIS team. Mettenberg may not flourish here either, but at this point in Jones' career, Zach's a better option moving forward. ONLY because Landry Jones hasn't looked like he gets it.

Method28
01-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Im all for bringing in Tebow 😏

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Nobody looks comfortable in Haley's multi tight end base offense. Ben doesn't either.

GoSlash27
01-02-2017, 12:18 PM
GBMel,

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I believe you don't necessarily have to pick up a franchise QB in the first round. Hell, the Pats picked up Tom Brady how deep in the draft? Like 6th round? The Steelers FO also has a knack for spotting talent that's underrated by other scouts.
We have plenty of cap space and good talent at most positions (OLB is probably our priority this year), so it's probably a good year to pull the trigger on a deep pick at QB... *if* they see someone they like.
As I said before, I'm on C.J. Beathard from Iowa's bandwagon. He plays with Ben's style, which would make him a good fit for our system. I think he's *way* underrated and we wouldn't have to trade up to get him.

Craic
01-02-2017, 12:28 PM
GBMel,

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I believe you don't necessarily have to pick up a franchise QB in the first round. Hell, the Pats picked up Tom Brady how deep in the draft? Like 6th round? The Steelers FO also has a knack for spotting talent that's underrated by other scouts.
We have plenty of cap space and good talent at most positions (OLB is probably our priority this year), so it's probably a good year to pull the trigger on a deep pick at QB... *if* they see someone they like.
As I said before, I'm on C.J. Beathard from Iowa's bandwagon. He plays with Ben's style, which would make him a good fit for our system. I think he's *way* underrated and we wouldn't have to trade up to get him.

Personally, depending on who's left on the board, I'd be all for giving up a first or second round pick this year for a first or second round pick in two years. Then bundling the 1st and second round pick that year plus the traded pick and use it to climb up the first round charts to get who we want.

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Nobody looks comfortable in Haley's multi tight end base offense. Ben doesn't either.

I typically hate this offensive package as well. But to call it the base offense is incorrect. I can't find the #'s for 2016 and simply refuse to attempt to compile them myself, but all the numbers I can find on the Google machine point towards Haley lining up in a 3 WR set 60-70% of the time. I think that is our base offense - not the "big" set.

You are correct that Haley loves to get at least one drive in the game early out of that set. I suspect it is to "establish the running game" or some other nonsense. However, I would argue that in certain games and situations, having that package in your tool set is phenomenally important.

Also, we don't need to have the same discussion in every thread. Landry Jones doesn't look comfortable in any offensive set. He takes sacks by tripping over his own feet for crying out loud.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Especially if it's #29-#32. I like that thinking also.

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Personally, depending on who's left on the board, I'd be all for giving up a first or second round pick this year for a first or second round pick in two years. Then bundling the 1st and second round pick that year plus the traded pick and use it to climb up the first round charts to get who we want.

I would agree with that. If you think you have a chance to get a guy that your organization feels has the ability to be "the guy" for your team - just go get him. It doesn't really matter about the rest of the roster or draft picks if you lack enough at the QB position to get things done.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 12:31 PM
I typically hate this offensive package as well. But to call it the base offense is incorrect. I can't find the #'s for 2016 and simply refuse to attempt to compile them myself, but all the numbers I can find on the Google machine point towards Haley lining up in a 3 WR set 60-70% of the time. I think that is our base offense - not the "big" set.=

What's the % on 1st and 2nd down?

We all know they usually go shotgun/3 wides on 3rd down.

I simply look at the number of passes, that Ben/QB's has thrown with 2+ on the field.

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 12:39 PM

I simply look at the number of passes, that Ben/QB's has thrown with 2+ on the field.

I can't seem to find that. I have a hard time believing that over 50% of passes attempted is out of a 2 TE set. That is what it would have to be for it to be the "base offense"

I have a hard time finding a game where the 2nd TE plays 40% of the snaps. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

polamalubeast
01-02-2017, 12:40 PM

With 2 TE....Ben has a QB rating of 113.0 and 8.28 YPA this year(on 108 pass attempts)
With 2 WR....Ben has a QB rating of 108.9 and 8,75 YPA(on 96 pass attempts)

For more details....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 12:45 PM
With 2 TE....Ben has a QB rating of 113.0 and 8.28 YPA this year(on 108 pass attempts)
With 2 WR....Ben has a QB rating of 108.9 and 8,75 YPA(on 96 pass attempts)

For more details....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger

Were they ahead? Or trailing? Who's in? Who's out?

That's why I look at WHO is on the field, and WHEN.

Craic
01-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Especially if it's #29-#32. I like that thinking also.

There was another post between yours and mine, but I'm assuming you were responding to my post? If so, yeah, it'd be nice to trade away a low first round this year for a better first round in a couple of years to get a QB.

I would agree with that. If you think you have a chance to get a guy that your organization feels has the ability to be "the guy" for your team - just go get him. It doesn't really matter about the rest of the roster or draft picks if you lack enough at the QB position to get things done.

Yep, heck, I'd even be willing to do the same next year as well. Maybe trade a first this year and a second next year so we have two firsts and two seconds in the third year to bundle and move up. Even if we had the last two picks of each of the first two rounds, bundling all four is enough value to jump to the fifth spot in the draft order. Of course, if we needed to leap frog from there, it'd take some finagling, but still doable (and, these numbers assume we traded with the same team both years, and meet them in the SB both years. Otherwise, we get even more value per pick)

Round / Overall / Value
1st (31st overall) 600 points
1st (32nd overall) 590 points
2nd (63rd overall) 276 points
2nd (64th overall) 270 points
----------------------------------
Total: 1736 points.

1st round, 4th pick: 1800 points
1st round, 5th pick: 1700 points
1st round, 6th pick: 1600 points

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 12:56 PM
I have a hard time finding a game where the 2nd TE plays 40% of the snaps. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/steelers-vs-patriots-player-snap-counts-week-7/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/11/steelers-vs-ravens-player-snap-counts-week-9-2/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/12/steelers-vs-giants-player-snap-counts-week-13/

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 01:12 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/steelers-vs-patriots-player-snap-counts-week-7/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/11/steelers-vs-ravens-player-snap-counts-week-9-2/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/12/steelers-vs-giants-player-snap-counts-week-13/

Week 7 - there were not enough healthy WRs they felt comfortable with. Plus Landry Jones is always going to get a run heavy game-plan. So that isn't a great picture of a "trend".

Week 9 - this was a dumb game by Haley. They went turtle to protect a still gimpy Roethlisberger. Again, not good but also not really what they prefer to do on offense.

Week 13 - They stomped them pretty good this game. I don't have a problem with it.

That's two weeks where there was a major issue at the QB position that led to a strategic decision to NOT throw the ball much. And another week that for some reason they wanted a TE heavy offense and I seem to remember the Steelers dominating that game.

3 games out of 16 is not enough for me to conclude that it is the base offense. In Weeks 16, 15, and 14 the snap totals appear to indicate that the 2nd TE and FB were on the field for 20-30% of the snaps - so not the base offense that week. So we have a 3-3 tie at this point.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 01:17 PM
Week 7 - there were not enough healthy WRs they felt comfortable with. Plus Landry Jones is always going to get a run heavy game-plan. So that isn't a great picture of a "trend".

Week 9 - this was a dumb game by Haley. They went turtle to protect a still gimpy Roethlisberger. Again, not good but also not really what they prefer to do on offense.

Week 13 - They stomped them pretty good this game. I don't have a problem with it.

That's two weeks where there was a major issue at the QB position that led to a strategic decision to NOT throw the ball much. And another week that for some reason they wanted a TE heavy offense and I seem to remember the Steelers dominating that game.

3 games out of 16 is not enough for me to conclude that it is the base offense. In Weeks 16, 15, and 14 the snap totals appear to indicate that the 2nd TE and FB were on the field for 20-30% of the snaps - so not the base offense that week. So we have a 3-3 tie at this point.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Mojouw http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=573357#post573357)

Don't make excuses for Haley. You stated an opinion. I debunked it with facts.

Psycho Ward 86
01-02-2017, 01:22 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Mojouw http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=573357#post573357)

its ok to be wrong.

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 01:22 PM

And as I have repeatedly argued on this board for the last several years, stats and numbers are meaningless if we rip them away from the context and situation that generated them. For instance during last nights game, the broadcast made a big deal of how many times the Packers had "doubledown" (a TD at the end of the half and another with the opening position of the 2nd half) and that they ranked top 5 since 2004 or something like that. The stat worked out to 1 time per season. So when you say 11 o2 12 times it sounds impressive but when you say once every 16 games it sounds less so.

Also, where did I "make excuses"? I simply said that maybe the mediocre back-up QB gets a different gameplan? Weird that they might want to feature their all world RB in a game against a defense that specializes in generating turnovers?

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 01:27 PM
its ok to be wrong.

Agreed.

Mojo should admit he was wrong. He stated something he said that "was a hard time finding".

I gave him three examples of it THIS season, alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, where did I "make excuses"? I simply said that maybe the mediocre back-up QB gets a different gameplan? Weird that they might want to feature their all world RB in a game against a defense that specializes in generating turnovers?

So you can't RUN from three wides?

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Agreed.

Mojo should admit he was wrong. He stated something he said that "was a hard time finding".

I gave him three examples of it THIS season, alone.

- - - Updated - - -

So you can't RUN from three wides?

[/COLOR]

First I said I was having a hard time finding it. Perhaps I wasn't clear, I meant in the 35 seconds I typed a search into Google, didn't find it right away and decided to give up. So in that sense I was wrong. My bad.

Of course you can run from 3 wides. But it is poor formation to run out of when the entire stadium knows your back-up QB isn't throwing the ball unless he has to.

And if we are going to get all uppity about right and wrong, what about your statement that the base offense is a multi-TE set? I feel like I have provided the same level of evidence that it isn't their base set.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Of course you can run from 3 wides. But it is poor formation to run out of when the entire stadium knows your back-up QB isn't throwing the ball unless he has to.

If anything running from 3 wides is easier. Creates more space for the back and they have to play the WR's honest.

When Landry is out there with Nix, Johnson, and Hubbard? I think everyone knows what's coming.

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 01:43 PM
If anything running from 3 wides is easier. Creates more space for the back and they have to play the WR's honest.

When Landry is out there with Nix, Johnson, and Hubbard? I think everyone knows what's coming. [/COLOR]

Perhaps. But the #'s demonstrate that the Steelers in 2015 and 2016 have had more "splash" running plays with Nix playing FB than out of any other alignment. Does that mean a 3 TE jumbo package? I would hope not. That should really only be used in specific situations.

The key is playing the WR's honest. NE was never going to respect Jones in a 3 WR set. They were going to keep LBers on the field and DARE Jones to try and exploit the match-up. Personally, I would've tried to make them pay and taken my shots, but that's why I sit at a keyboard and not in an NFL meeting room.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 01:58 PM
2015 Nix? He barely played on offense all year.

He barely plays now. Most of his snaps are in garbage time.

Don't need Nix. Only people who want him are those who are obsessed with fullbacks.

The key is playing the WR's honest. NE was never going to respect Jones in a 3 WR set.

But that was ONLY time he looked decent against the Pats was when they went three wides in the 2nd quarter despite benching Rogers and Coates.

Second half starts and it's back to Toddy's tight ends. And they scored 6 points the rest of the way.

Shoes
01-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

Does that make you a bad ass ? Admit you post on two boards and get it over with.

What in the hell is the matter with you??? Mojo & I post at DraftSteel once in awhile, what in the hell does that have to do with anything?

Craic
01-02-2017, 02:05 PM

When Landry is out there with Nix, Johnson, and Hubbard? I think everyone knows what's coming. [/COLOR]

Either you're a newer fan of the Steelers, or you've forgotten the last 50 years of Steelers football.

That style is known as "Run first, smashmouth football." or "Three yards and a cloud of dust" football. It differs from the "Three yards and a could of mediocrity" football they were playing in the late 2000s because now, it's effective again.

Let's put it a different way.

Big bodies = bigger hits, more effort to shed bodies to get to the runner.

Repeated plays = repeatedly more effort.

Repeated bigger effort = more tired on defense.

More tired on defense = more time to pass later in game.

More time to pass later in game = bigger chance to win.

Bigger chance to win = 7 game win streak and AFCN champions.

And, to answer the coming question, not every team can do it, because not every team has the ability to run as good as we can, and to throw the ball as well as we can. Hence, what ownership said when they wanted the Steelers to be better at running the ball. Not, run the ball more as so many thought he said.

- - - Updated - - -

What in the hell is the matter with you??? Mojo & I post at DraftSteel once in awhile, what in the hell does that have to do with anything?

Honestly, I think he misread your post about postcount - his reply made it sound like he thought you were bragging about your post count here, when actually, you were making yourself the butt of a joke (as far as I could tell).

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 02:09 PM
It differs from the "Three yards and a could of mediocrity" football they were playing in the late 2000s

2008? Super Bowl champs.

2009? 9-7.

2010? AFC Champs.

Oh to be that mediocre again.

Hence, what ownership said when they wanted the Steelers to be better at running the ball. Not, run the ball more as so many thought he said.There was nothing wrong with the running game in 2009. But as usual the offense took the blame for Dick LeBeau's 4th quarter bullshit.

That is, until a local guy became OC, and then LeBeau took heat.

As I said he would.

Mojouw
01-02-2017, 02:15 PM

Don't need Nix. Only people who want him are those who are obsessed with fullbacks.

But that was ONLY time he looked decent against the Pats was when they went three wides in the 2nd quarter despite benching Rogers and Coates.

Second half starts and it's back to Toddy's tight ends. And they scored 6 points the rest of the way.

[/COLOR]

Situational football. That is when/where you need a FB. Despite what you may think, many NFL teams agree and are getting their hands on a FB. Ravens, Packers, and Steelers are teams off the top of my head that have made an investment in young athletic FBs.

And once again - from this article - http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/steelers-turn-nix-post-bye-boost-run-game/

There was a statistically significant improvement in terms of yards per carry when Nix was on the field in the running game last year (that would be 2015), and the majority of their explosive runs also saw him in action, even though he was accountable for less than a quarter of all runs. If he is up to the task when the Steelers resume their schedule, I would hope that he sees more action on the other side of the bye.

For the record, I think that they team should throw the hell out of the ball and get a 14-17 point lead and then pound the snot out of the other team with the run game. Am I a huge fan of the FB and big TE sets? Not really, but to argue that they have no role isn't realistic.

- - - Updated - - -

2008? Super Bowl champs.

2009? 9-7.

2010? AFC Champs.

Oh to be that mediocre again.

[/COLOR]There was nothing wrong with the running game in 2009. But as usual the offense took the blame for Dick LeBeau's 4th quarter bullshit.

That is, until a local guy became OC, and then LeBeau took heat.

As I said he would.

It was the failure of the run game to convert short yardage and goal to go opportunities that drew ownerships ire. That was what Rooney meant. Effective running.

polamalubeast
01-02-2017, 02:19 PM

[/COLOR]

I think you're a big fan of Chip Kelly.

You can not just have a finesse offense in the NFL, otherwise you'll get killed.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Situational football.

I call it, Todd Haley's ego football.

Ravens,

Sitting at home for the 3rd time in four years.

Packers,

The GREEN BAY Packers? The team that has no running back, played out of the shotgun most of the year, and their QB has thrown a mere 32 passes with 2+ tight ends on the field all season? Aaron Rodgers did not throw ONE pass, out of the I-formation all year.

and Steelers

One playoff win in four years.

Yeah, fullbacks are so valuable to the success (or lack of) of these three teams.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you're a big fan of Chip Kelly.

You can not just have a finesse offense in the NFL, otherwise you'll get killed.

Three wide, a RB, and a TE isn't finesse football.

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 02:30 PM
It was the failure of the run game to convert short yardage and goal to go opportunities that drew ownerships ire. That was what Rooney meant. Effective running.

No, Rooney said they lost games in the 4th quarter because they couldn't run.

That's not what happened.

What happened was, the DEFENSE, AFTER the offense took leads in the 4th quarter, would go back on the field, and blow the lead.

But you weren't allowed to bash Coach Gramps.

That is, until Todd Haley showed up.

Born2Steel
01-02-2017, 03:37 PM
So.......are we saying Landry Jones would be a better QB if he played more spread or more jumbo packages?

#CRASHFormation
01-02-2017, 03:39 PM
So.......are we saying Landry Jones would be a better QB if he played more spread or more jumbo packages?

More spread, less jumbo.

I think he proved that this season.

2nd quarter vs. New England, second half yesterday.

He's also a bit on the short side, so all that congestion playing in 2-3 TE sets can't help him either.