PDA

View Full Version : Bires: The old standard on defense

stillers4me
09-13-2010, 06:09 AM
By: Mike Bires (mbires@timesonline.com)

Beaver County Times
Sunday September 12, 2010 11:46 PM

http://media.timesonline.com/thumb/368x276/13ryansack_web683578.jpg Times photo by LUCY SCHALY Steelers beat the Atlanta Falcons in the season opener at Heinz Field Sunday. QB Matt Ryan grimaces as he is sacked by James Harrison.

PITTSBURGH — For the NFL’s oldest defense, it was like old times .
The defensive line dominated the point of attack.

The linebackers were spectacular.

The defensive backs didn’t let anyone get behind them.

“Nobody felt old today,” quipped linebacker James Farrior, the 35-year-old captain of the defense. “We can still play a little bit,” added defensive end Brett Keisel. “We can still stop people.”

On a day that begged for the Steelers’ defense to rise up and dominate, it did. ............

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/september/12/bires-the-old-standard-on-defense.html

HometownGal
09-13-2010, 06:27 AM
Good read Sue - thanks! :drink:

Though Mendy's 50 yard run for a TD technically "won" us the game yesterday, it was the stellar play of our D that made all of the difference. They were rough, tough, and determined to stop the potent weapons of the Falcs' O and they did. :thumbsup: If they can stay healthy as a unit for the entire season, this group is going to once again become a fearsome D and kick opposing O's azzes all over the field. :yay3:

Edman
09-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Night and Day over last year. Last Year, the D would've folded and given the Falcons a late TD that would've lost the game. Instead, they showed their 2008 form and stepped up to make a play. Despite a career day by Roddy White, the Steelers kept Atlanta out of the endzone. That's something.

Troy and Aaron make that much of a difference.

It also helps that Gay isn't the main guy in the secondary. Mcfadden proved his worth yesterday.

steelpride12
09-13-2010, 08:20 AM
I really think our defense can live up to 08' once again, remember yesterday White did gain over 100 yards receiving, but the Falcons have an extremely potent offense in this league and holding them to 3 field goals is huge! This defense won us this game and will continue to do so all season.

SCSTILLER
09-13-2010, 08:32 AM
“Nobody felt old today,” quipped linebacker James Farrior, the 35-year-old captain of the defense. “We can still play a little bit,” added defensive end Brett Keisel. “We can still stop people.”

Didn't get to catch all of the game yesterday but from what I did see the defense played great. My only fear (maybe I am being a bit of a pessimist here and for that I apologize) is that the D will start to wear down towards the end of the season because of their age. I hope not, but I am a bit worried about that. It is great to have Troy and Aaron back on our defense and seeing them playing like we all knew they could.

GodfatherofSoul
09-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Farrior looked pretty old on that whiffed tackle attempt in the backfield.

Dino 6 Rings
09-13-2010, 10:03 AM
I think the biggest improvement over all (besides having a healthy Troy which is clearly the most obvious thing) is McFadden back at corner.

His play is lights out better than Gay from last year. It gives us the 2 solid corners, instead of just Stone Hands Taylor on one side and a gaping hole on the other. I've been a fan of McFadden's since the 05 playoff game when he successfully defended 2 passes by Manning after the Bettis fumble to keep the Colts out of a managable field goal and Vandercheck shanked the kick to allow us to have the win. McFadden being back brings the entire defense back to true form.

Bluecoat96
09-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Didn't get to catch all of the game yesterday but from what I did see the defense played great. My only fear (maybe I am being a bit of a pessimist here and for that I apologize) is that the D will start to wear down towards the end of the season because of their age. I hope not, but I am a bit worried about that. It is great to have Troy and Aaron back on our defense and seeing them playing like we all knew they could.

That's a legitimate concern. However, I believe we have some better depth all around for the defense, so hopefully that will help.

Dino 6 Rings
09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Falcons got the ball first in OT, yet we were able to force a punt and get the ball back. That's a huge improvement over last year. That alone gives me confidence in our improved defense.